Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    the protege engine has been balanced at it's highest torque and hp RPM range, so it's the smooooothest thing you can get at that high speeds!!
    Even I have done 85~90(maybe) and the feeling is :
    "Where the hell has the engine gone? Did I drop it?"

It's so damned smooth at high RPM(3500~4000).

Note:
    some car makers tend to balance the engines at lower speeds which gives you the effect of having smoothest engine at city driving conditions..but you know what happens when you hit the highway...shake..shake and rattle....
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    Glad you like the car! Just wondering, what kind of MPG are you getting with your 2000 5sp LX? My mother has a 1999 automatic LX, I got 35MPG in a recent 190-mi trip (about 80% hwy). I'm thinking of picking up a 2001 5sp LX myself this spring...
  • alarisealarise Member Posts: 3
    The best I've done is 36 on mostly highway miles. I tend to have a heavy foot so my usual mileage is in the 31-33 range on the highway.

Does anybody have any info. on when the 5door hatch is coming out? My wife likes the looks of it so we may end up being a 2 Protege family! I'm glad to see Mazda making this move. Hatchbacks are great in my opinion and a Protege with a hatch is the best of both worlds. Peace.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You should be seeing the 5-door in your dealer this summer. Most makers target one date, but there are usually always holdups.

:)
  • chacobluechacoblue Member Posts: 2
    F.Y.I. the 4 bangers now being used in the European Focus are Ford/Mazda engineered. Most likely at least 50% Mazda. The future for the Protege is to use the Focus chassis and Ford/Mazda engines. I think you were talking about the new Ford 2.3L. Most likely Ford/Mazda engineered. After all, it is the same engine being used in the new Ford and Mazda small pickup turcks (again, Ford Ranger chassis, but Ford/Mazda engines).
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Considering a 01 Protege and possibly the sport wagon. I'd like to hear about mileage for the 2.0 automatic and 5 speed, as I would like to get the ES. Assume this runs on unleaded regular? Also read that 00 Proteges had soft bumpers that Mazda tried to get away with to save weight. These got destroyed in the 5mph test. Word is they were used earlier in the model year and have since been replaced. True? Thanks.
  • compuman2000compuman2000 Member Posts: 9
    Hello Everyone,
    I am about to get a 2001 ES, but I was wondering if anyone can think of a good reason why the Corollas have daytime running lights since atleast the 1999 model, but the Proteges still don't have it.

I would really appreciate any comments on this.
    Thanks in advance.
    Extra bumper reinforcement was added during the 2000MY due to IIHS tests.

Daytime running lights are required in Canada, so Toyota is probably making it common to save on multiple build specs. Of course, it just turns off those of us who don't care for daytime running lights.
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    My understanding is that by then Mazda will be solely responsible for I-4 engine development at Ford/Mazda. The decision was made in the early fall 00.

It will be all Mazda engineering.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    about the '04 Proteges. Otherwise I would seriously consider a Honda Civic. The only thing that concnerns me regarding Hondas are that they are expenisve to fix. Is this true?

Leo
  • greenguygreenguy Member Posts: 78
    Where did you get the pic. of the interior of the MP3??? This interest me, but not alot of info yet.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    as with all Japanese cars, they are higher $$$ to fix than a Chevy or domestic car.
  • kymcampkymcamp Member Posts: 51
    Does anyone know how the 01' ES handles in the snow? I'm picking mine up Thursday. It has the 195/50R16 all season tires on it. Since these tires are more performance oriented, I wonder if I'll be slip-sliding in the snow a lot. I know that's the problem with my father's Grand Am.

Of course, snow tires are the best. My Mom's old 323 used to be a horror in the winter. Then she put 4 snow tires on and now it plows through the snow better than an SUV.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I got the pictures from www.mazdausamedia.com. You have to be part of the media to view the pictures though - which seems to be pretty stupid to me. You can also get them at www.geocities.com/negatize/media/2001protege/
    but I thought that Honda is typically higher than most of the Japenese brands, no?

Leo
    they are higher in everthing..

Higher in dealer snob factor, higher in price, more than likely higher in cost repairs.. there's a webpage somewhere that lists the estimated costs over the span of several years.. when I find it, I'll post it.
    thanks, I'd appreciate it.

Leo
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    Just a quick question..... I drove my Protege for a few feet with the brake up....do you think I damadged it?... hope not. I also wanted to know if any one has noticed a slight jerk when backing up. It will do it if I put the car in "R" and back up without wating a few seconds.
    you can go to Cars.com and click on one of the tabs on the top titled RESEACH A CAR. enter the info and you can get estimated costs of ownership for most newer cars.
  • pcalvinpcalvin Member Posts: 44
    I have fueled up my 01 ES three times. I've gone about 300 miles between fuel-ups, and gotten between 24 and 29 mpg. That's a mix of city and Highway. I'm fairly heavy on the gas. I just can't help myself :) I keep trying to go faster and faster around on/off ramps to max out the cornering, and it's tough to even make the tires squeal! I have to bolt all my belongings down to even accomplish that feat! Wow, it's been a great 1000 miles. (I took a picture of the odometer yesterday at the 1000 mile mark) I’ve had the car since Jan 10.
    No, a few feet won't damage it. It's comparable to stopping the car, so no sweat.

The jerk is from not letting the car shift completely into reverse before you apply the throttle. Zoom Zoom does not apply in reverse, so stay the patient course.
  • doctoranndoctorann Member Posts: 12
    Hi all --

I've been too busy to be reading edmunds, but I want to give you an update on my 2000 Protege' ES. I have had it for 15 months and have 18K on it. Had to have the differential replaced, but of course it was under warranty. Car's been fine since then -- I love it! I am a little timid to be a ZOOMer but I do like taking the ramps at speed :)

My only concern is possibly declining fuel economy. I'm down to about 26 mpg now; when the car was new I was getting 28-29, and around 31 for _purely_ highway driving. Does anyone have any ideas about why it's declined?
    Thanks MALTB.. I did not think that driving even a mile would hurt it...I also tought that the jerk was from my hurry to go. I think I just need to take it easy .
    I just waxed my protege ( on sunday ) and it looks great. I bought the good stuff ( zymol ). I paid $11.99 for it, but it works great. It leaves a good shine. Has anyone else used this stuff?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Looks like we made the top of the 10 most popular discussions here on Edmund's for the second time this week. Cool!!

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom...
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Where you live might have a lot to do with your declining gas mileage. Here's why ...

I noticed the same thing ... I bought my 2000 ES 5-speed last May, and all spring, summer and fall I was getting about 29-31 mpg in mixed highway and city driving. Then, once November or so rolled around, I noticed a decline to about 25-27 mpg. I complained here, and someone else told me that in a number of states (especially in the Northeast, but also here in Virginia) they use reformulated gasoline in the wintertime to cut down on emissions. When springtime rolls around, the gas formulation should go back to normal and our gas mileage with it.

I hope I'm conveying this correctly -- if I'm full of it, someone please jump in and correct or explain it better!

I have noticed that my Protege doesn't zoom quite as much with this different gas, btw, so I think there's some truth to all of this. I think some of the gasoline dealers are using one formula and others a different one, too, because I get VERY bad gas mileage with Amoco gas, but good mileage (like 3-5 mpg better) using Citgo. Weird, huh?

Do keep in mind, especially if you live in northern climes, that you may tend to use your defroster a lot more in the winter -- which uses your a/c compressor, which makes your engine work harder and cuts down your gas mileage!

Meade
    I noticed that my gas mileage in both cars (Bonneville and Protege) drops considerably when using Amoco gas. It must be something in the gas that does it. I mean in the Mazda, I lose like 3-5 mpg (like you said) in one tank. Rediculous!

With the reformulated gas, I notice that the mileage is lower with it too, but not too much. My Protege still averages about 26 mpg no matter the temperature. Lowest I ever got was idling in 100-degree traffic this past summer, and that was 20 mpg. Hell, that's what my Bonneville AVERAGES on one tank of gas with mostly highway driving! :)
    well the 3 times I've measured city on the ES, it was 26.4(dealer fillup), 24.5 (Amoco), 25.5 Mobil.

highway from our last trip was about 29MPG, and coming back about 28. but we had 4 people and loaded trunk. plus I didn't use the cruise, too much fun punching it up to 100MPH!!!
    I punch my Protege up to 70-80 mph in my daily commute (Capital Beltway, DC) and it has this pronounced "shake" around 75 or so. It gets worse as I increase the speed too. I have had the wheels balanced, checked for their tire pressure, the brakes checked, and the front end aligned. It still does it. What could it be? Also, the car's never been in a serious accident to warrant body repair. I just don't get it.
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Who did the tire balance, brakes and wheel alignment? So it just started recently?
    get a 4-wheel alignment.. also, have you been in any minor fender benders? could be out of whack from that, or best choice is if you've hit any hard potholes or curbs, the rim could be out of whack too.
  • newshoundnewshound Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone ever owned a '98 Mazda 626? How reliable is it?
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    newshound...try the 626 forum, this here is Proteges! :-)

Doctorann...There are several things that can degrade your gas mileage...it might be one or a combination of things.

Change your air filter if you haven't already done so. A dirty air filter can cost you up to 3 mpg.

Check your tire pressure.

Put some injector cleaner through your tank (add cleaner to an almost empty tank and fill your gas tank).

Lastly, like Meade (and others) said, different brands of gas can affect your mileage too.

Regards,

Pete
    The 626 has had a reputation for bad trannys <----sorry had to say it.
    The shaking has pretty much been there since I got the car new, but it is getting worse now. I had Goodyear balance the tires (bad to buy 2 new ones at ONLY 26K!) and the 4-wheel alignment. Also, no fender benders ever, but I did jump over a curb (making a right and cut too short) with the car about a year or so ago. I scratched the rocker panel under the passenger's door severely, causing $500 damage according to the Mazda dealer. Maybe that's it?

And the air filter does have a lot to do with the fuel economy. Mine did improve about 3 or so mpg when I put a new one in. Did it myself, and it only cost $16 for the filter.
    I know this is the Prote board, but I need to come to the defense of my former car.

Stick with a 6cyl. and you can't go wrong. The trany deal on those is for the CD4E on the 4cyl. For a real fun ride, try to find a 6cyl with a manual trans. I shocked quite a few faces with that car.

:)
    Sorry I should have been more clear. The 4 cyl is the problem maker.
    The 626 4-cylinder automatic models come with Ford-built transmissions and that's about the biggest problem with them. Other than being about the same size inside as the cheaper Protege...
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I don't get it. The VW Jetta 3 board gets an owner's club, and we don't. How many posts to they get on average a day? 5?
    Has anyone seen any reviews on the 2001 protege? I could not find any.
    The only reason they got one is because one of the posters started his own Owners' Club. A shame, because we have been asking for one since last year sometime.
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Have a new 2000 LX. Nice care, very nice car. One observation I have not seen made before is how quickly this car comes up to normal operating temperature. Cold Massachusetts morning and before you know it Pro is up to normal temp. My guess is something to do with LEV status. Recall something about the sooner a car comes up to normal temp. the less pollution. Pro must have something special going on to facilitate this.
    Also earlier question about poor winter fuel consumption. I think it's true about winter reformulated gasoline. Second point is concern for using defroster and subsequently ac compressor is that although when in the defrost mode the ac will come on, it will only come on if the ambient temperature is above a certain point. My guess is somewhere around 50 degrees. The compressor will not come on if outside air temp. is below the cycling temperature of the ac system. Essentially air in the ac system can only get so cold.
    The AC compressor in the Protege will not come on unless the outside temp. is above 32. I believe it says that somewhere in the owner's manual if I am not mistaken.

In the winter time, the owner's manual also says when defrosting windows, put the setting on "fresh air" and not "recirculate" because it helps defogging quicker. I never turn on the AC button when defrosting though, and it seems to go fine.

Also, my 1999 DX has almost 37K on it. The engine still heats up very quickly according to the temperature gauge, but it takes what seems like forever for heat to actually come out of the vents. It blows cold for a good period of time, then finally turns warm. Also, I noticed this past summer that my AC took a long time to cool the car down on hot days. Not so when new. I am going to take the car to the dealer before it goes out of its 50K warranty have them do a complete check. I have 2 other nagging recurrences with the car too, so I will hopefully get those straight when taking it in.
    Vocus'-------- you might want to check an dsee if the rim is bent.. Brother in law had it happen with a stock rim. pain to get it diagnosed, but solved it after.

Owner's Club---------I think we have to email the host.. But with the amount of posts we've done, I don't see why not.. the Owner's Club room says we need 2 members as the "spokesperson" for the club..

I say Meade and Pete.. sorry Vocus but you're waffling on the Bonneville!!! :) j/k
  • castleownercastleowner Member Posts: 42
    Why is the protege fuel economy so much inferior to the civic and corolla? They seem to be very similar otherwise in terms of power and weight etc.

Just wondering.

The same can be noticed when comparing 626 to camry and accord. What gives?
    I do remember also hitting my wheel cover on a curb about a year ago. The wheel cover was not damaged, but there was a small nick in the rim. I don't think anything like that would damage it though. If the car is that weak, then it needs to be put out of production.
    I want to know why the owners manual says to clean your dash using a vinyl and leather safe product...I do not see any leather on my 2001 protege...I do not think that leather is optional...any ideas...I used the STINKY armoral..I was going to use son-of-a-gun but have not heard much about it.
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    I will be moving to Chicago sooner than I thought!

I got the job in Chicago (just got my offer letter faxed to me!) and I'm leaving to drive there on the 24th or 25th of this month. I haven't heard back from Suchismit so I don't know if he is still around there. I'll have to buy the new splash guard before I make that drive so I don't allow any water up into the engine compartment.

I'll be pretty busy until then so I don't know how much I'll be able to post.

Regards,

Pete
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Do you folks want one? It can certainly be arranged, just speak up. :-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards