Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I use barbless hooks ;)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Meade
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have never been hunting actually. I guess I am not the type to shoot at something and kill it. I have shot a gun before on my uncle's ranch in NC (a long time ago actually), but that's it. Never at anything. Never been fishing either. I grew up in the city though..
  • cmortoncmorton Member Posts: 15
    Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to clean the CD player? I have a 2000 LX and the owners manual says not to use a cleaning disc. I have before without any problems, but was wondering about what anyone else does.

Also, does anyone else have the optional compass/temp rear view mirror? I have one and it seems to get real innacurate when the a/c is running.
    This may sound stupid, but what part gets inaccurate? The temperature or the compass??
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Call your svc dept. at Mazda and ask them. i doubt anyone has cleaned their CD player yet. Have you guys?

Dinu
    Never cleaned the CD player in either Protege I had.

Mirror: The temp is going to be inaccurate when the AC is running, because the AC is going to cool the area around the sensor.

Sititng in traffic used to make the temp gauge in the rental Sebring conv. I had (in CA back in 99) go up to 115 degrees!
  • cmortoncmorton Member Posts: 15
    Actually the temp goes UP when the AC is running. My guess is that the gauge is too near the a/c motor and the heat from that is causing the temp to get skewered. Obviously it's a outside temp gauge.

I cleaned my player because a few cd's were skipping. Do you think that cleaning it could damage the player?
  • evernerfevernerf Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I have enjoyed following this discussion and I am trying to find a Pro for myself. I have looked at a 94 model and others in that age range and I cant find any indentification between trim levels. Most cars have an emblem somewhere that would say. Also how can you tell a 1.6 from a 1.8 engine? In those years (say 92-94) what should I look for? Are the automatics good in those cars? I need an auto for my gf. I hope they are better than what the 626 trans seem to be. Thanks in advance.
    Look at the front quarter panels, just ahead of the front doors. The letters "DX" or "LX" will be there. Also, lift the hood. The LX had a DOHC 1.8 engine, while the DX had a SOHC 1.8 engine. The engine cover will say what engine the car has.

The Protege is highly recommended by Consumer Reports for its reliability, all the way back to the early '90s.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I posted a pic of a Protegé5 in the new blue color. It's much brighter than then pic shows it. Sort of like MP3 color.

You know where to look.

fowler3
    did all the flowers go --- Where did all the Protegés go....this weekend?

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Blue is not MY color of choice. BTW, did you here that Mazda has increased their warranties on 2003 models to 50,000 miles/four years?

-larry
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    My s-03's have been on for under 2000 miles, so I have no idea of treadware yet.

I really am impressed with the ride quality vs the RE-92's. I've been running 35psi front and back, though I intend to play around with pressure when I have some time to test.

When the tires were installed, they were pumped up to 50psi. Even so, comfort was not bad. Handling was, though, a bit dicey on broken surfaces. I lost the rear end on a bumpy ramp. Thanks to the great response, I was able to toss the pro back onto line. Things are much more predictable at proper inflation.
    ... would ride better than the RE92s. Maybe even the stone tires on Fred Flintstone's car. ;-)

Had mine rotated for the second time last week and now they're even quieter! I got stuck in a pack of speeders on the commute to work this morning ("stuck" -- yeah right, just seized an opportunity!!!) and got to experience life at 80 mph for a few miles. It's so very nice that my car is so quiet and smooth with these tires -- and after 14,000 miles, not a hint of shimmy from the steering wheel at speed.

Meade

P.S. A few side notes: I was just kidding with the hunting and fishing comments -- it seemed you guys were getting a little too romantic about it and I decided to insert a little prosaic "second opinion." I own three fishing rods and while I've never hunted, I owned three handguns before I was married and used to target shoot quite a bit. Hope all of my American friends out there had a good Thanksgiving. Time to hit the diet again! And look out my fellow mid-Atlanticers -- looks like Wednesday and Thursday are gonna be a wintry MESS!!!
    Not looking forward to Wednesday night. They say that's when the snow's gonna start in MD. I will be safe and sound at home on Thursday if that's the case. Definitely a perfect day to work from home. :)
    So guess where I'll be?

;-)

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    unheard of! (well for the past 2 years at least ;-) )

I think when the white stuff starts falling, it'll be time to take the rx-7 out onto an empty parking lot and do some doughnuts :-D
    I changed the oil on my Protege yesterday. Note to self: DO NOT try to change oil again when it's 35 degrees outside with a 25 mile wind gust. Newspapers were flying everywhere, and the oil was splattering all over the place as the wind blows...

but boy does the Pro love fresh Mobil 1 10w-30 :-)
    It snowed back in January here in MD. It was on the 18th of January I think, because my company was just coming back from a trip to Atlantic City on the bus when it started. I remember getting in the car and creeping down the beltway to my friend's house. That was the only snow my car has been since I owned it, over a year now.

I hope it doesn't snow. I still be staying home if it does though. I work ~35 miles from home, not even going to try to make it. I did one year, and it toom me 3 HOURS to get to work. I will work from home, thanks.
    A few inches (as little as 2 or 3 sometimes) will shut us down, literally. All the schools close. A lot of businesses close. So the traffic really does diminish, and I get to go out and play. Y'all who haven't experienced it before will find that your Proteges do pretty well in the snow -- er, as long as you don't have those Poortenzas still on your wheels! I keep a set of "emergency chains" (the ones that strap on) for the front wheels in the trunk JUST IN CASE I get in a pinch -- but the front-wheel-drive and good balance makes the Protege bite in and stay on course pretty well -- a LOT better than my old rear-wheel drive, no-weight-in-the-back B2300 pickup did! Just gotta watch out for the morons out there ...

(I don't know how well Jettas do in the snow, Paul ... since they're from Germany, you'd think they'd do admirably -- as long as the vibrations from the snowy road don't drop all four windows into your doors, the coils don't burn out and the rubber treatment doesn't leak!)

Meade
    Hardy-har-har.

The Tiptronic is really cool in the snow, gives you very good control over the engine's speed. I have also crossed a sheet of ice in the car at 5mph or so. There was a water main break in the local grocery store's parking lot. Instead of trying to walk across the ice and risk killing myself, I drove across with my ASR on. Car didn't spin one time. I was really shocked.

Businesses and schools are very quick to close in Baltimore as well. Well, the county schools are quick to close. They do because of the risk of having kids on school buses on the snow covered roads, and lawsuit risks.

I wouldn't use snow chains on your car, Meade. I am pretty sure the owner's manual recommends against them. They might damage the alloy wheels. Traction control would help alot on snowy roads, if the Protege offered it...
    You guys are funny. 2-3 inches and it's a ghost town? Lawsuits for school buses driving in snow? Nonesense!

The PRO handles ok in snow, but it does have a little too much torque for slippery starts :) You gotta take it very easy on the gas, and then it goes.

DInu
    They only cross the tire tread in two places -- just enough to give you some grip and get you out of a tough situation. They're not meant for extended use, nor are they those big, cumbersome, floppy chains that the police cars use. The cables that cross the tire tread are no thicker than a pencil (thinner actually), and nothing but a flat nylon strap touches the alloys. I've used them on two Proteges and the alloys on my pickup (and THEY were painted at that) and never suffered even a scratch. I swear by those little guys.

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Mpls-St. Paul this morning. Bald SP 5000s are not nice in the snow. I need to quit being lazy and put the snow tires on soon.

I went in to get my estimate on Saturday. In case anyone is wondering, a hood and a new grill will set you back $950 with a 2001 ES. I have rental coverage with my insurance and I am wondering what car I should try out when I bring my car in. Enterprise is my only choice. I'm thinking about holding off on the repair until winter is over. What would you guys do?
    Betcha you've never had your schools close because it was too HOT either.

;-)

Meade
    Get a hood from the junk yard. One that's a different color if at all possible. And just duct tape your grille up. If you can, run a piece of rope from the grille to somewhere under the front bumper like a lot of people do in the rear of their busted Hondas to hold the trunk shut. Gives the car that "Martha Stewart" look. Oh -- and if you've got a marker light out too, just stick a piece of clear packing tape over it and try to match the color as best as you can with a magic marker.

But just make sure you've got a brand-new, huge subwoofer in the trunk and the latest sound system and lots of rap music -- and loosen your rear license plate enough to it vibrates when you've got the tunes on. The whole point is to make people think you've completely lost it.

Meade
    trying to make todd's 2001 look like a '91 beater LOL
    (writhing my hands in glee)

Meade
    Why don't I just take the hood off and leave it off? Then I could jack the back end up and get some fat raised letter K-mart brand tires for the back. Hmmm...Half Mazda, half trailor park Cutlass Supreme.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    We're getting a Mazda6. That car is AWESOME. Like a larger smoother Protege. I can't friggin wait.
    That's the way all my cars have looked. LOL! jk

dinu: North Carolina is like Virginia, everything shuts down when a little snow comes. People here panic, rush to supermarkets and buy everything. No bread left! No easy to prepare food left. Usually it melts the next day. Ice storms are worse than snow, can last a week.

When I moved here in 1997, locals told me to buy a fondu pot, bunsen burners to heat food during ice storms. I bought a whole bunch of survival stuff including a battery operated TV, portable radio -- we haven't had an ice storm since January 1998.

fowler3
    Haha! Dinu, perhaps you should tell them about the ice storm that hit out east a few years ago. So much ice that powerlines were brought down. Now that looked like chaos.
    We have at least one ice storm each winter here in Richmond. Power outages for days, weeks for some people. Major roads impassable because of downed utility poles and power lines. They update the outage numbers and track Virginia Power's restoration progress on the news each night (assuming you can watch the TV where you are), and it's not abnormal to hear numbers of powerless customers in the hundreds of thousands. That's why I have my trusty 22,000-BTU kerosene heater, plenty of flashlights and batteries, and all my camping supplies at the ready. (BTW, I love hearing the idiots who proclaim, "Well I have GAS HEAT!!!" Great, moron. Whatcha gonna use to BLOW IT THROUGH YOUR DUCTWORK???")

Ice storms are so frequent here that Virginia Power has a multi-million dollar project they conduct every three years where they go out and prune all the trees in their right-of-ways in an effort to keep them from falling on the lines. But in many cases they just don't have the right-of-way width to take care of the whole tree and just have to resort to pruning limbs. Fortunately the lines in my neighborhood are underground -- you should see the job these power company guys do at topping a tree. If they ever lose their power company jobs, they definitely will never make it in the tree-pruning business.

You guys up north who get nothing but the nice, white, fluffy stuff don't know how good you've got it. When we do get snow, it's heavy and wet and compacts to an inch-thick layer of ice at the road surface.

Then watch out! Here comes Mr. Yankee barreling down I-95 in his SUV at the legal limit, blowing past all of us who know better. Gee maw, lookit all those big Excursions and Suburbans (not to mention a whole motherlode of various Jeep iterations) sittin' belly-up in the ditches, headlights pointin' at the sky! Hmmm, why do they all have Pennsylvania, New York and Massachusetts license plates?

Meade

P.S. Just wondering -- How come the power goes out during wind storms, thunderstorms, ice storms, etc. -- but the telephone lines never go out? Maybe the power companies should take some classes from the phone companies ... ;-)
    Snow storms: are ok for the most part.

Ice storms: Montreal had a BIG one a few yrs ago. The city was paralized for a few days: no heat, no electricity, power lines lining the streets. And it lasted a few days to a week.

Now I understand that b.c of the warmer climate the VA-NC area gets more ice storms and for that I have nothing to say except "be preapred". It looks like you guys are.

But when you have traffic chaos and shut down the city b/c of anything less than 12" of snow, that's funny.

Now, I'll go laugh while I think about the air pressure I have to add to day to the PRO's tires. The front is pretty low - you ca see it and feel it.

Dinu
    I'll be preapred. I'll go home tonight, preapre dinner and make sure the wife and kid are preapred too.

I just love taking advantage of typos.

;-)
    Trahyin' too gett bakc at somewon djust beecoz thei mayd a tipoh...

Dinu
    Heheh!
    Does the hood look OK?
    Guess I'll have to be the first nitwit to ask, why you sellin' it?

Meade
    for that LX...

on another note, I thought you aren't suppose to use this board as a classified ad?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You are right, advertising of anything is not allowed here.

On another note, does anyone want to talk about a Protege that he or she is *not* selling?

:)
    ...midnight blue...

and when you push the right pedal, it moves!
    And mine (the car, not the pedal) is actually "Emerald Mica," not to be confused with the "Tropic Emerald Metallic" color of my '92 LX. That was more teal; my 2000 ES is more of a mountain pine color. A manly color. Conjures up images of roaring campfires and mountain streams. A cool, natural color that goes great with a great beer. And just think -- Richmond and Milwaukee are half a country apart ...

Meade
    I'll bet you like Special Export too.
    But hey -- their marketing worked; you knew which beer I was referring to!!!

I much prefer Legend Lager -- locally brewed. If I have to pick a mass-produced one I'll go with Killians or Sam Adams.

Now back to the discussion at hand ... and it's nice to be 18000.

Meade
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    where you can play to win a Mazda6?

meade?? Maltb??