Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    There has been a bright orange MSP on the Mazda dealer's lot for awhile now. I have never stopped yet to see the price on it. The Mazda dealer I was at on Saturday (to test the 6, finally!) didn't have any MSPs that I saw.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    VERY fast - 3-5 mins and the car is at operating temp and warm. Especially a plus when it's -10C outside w/windchill -20C.

Dinu
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Aluminum blocks don't do that. They cool down quickly when you shut the engine off and it takes a good while to warm them up again.

In Canada, heated seats would be a good option.

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Where is everybody?

fowler3
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    trading their Proteges for 6's.
    Well I've been participating less during the last week, but I'm sure it will all return to normal by Jan 10.

So the PRO has an iron block that keeps me warm in winter? Great!

Dinu
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    or perhaps installing racer mods on thier Accords?
    Yeah maybe they borrowed the parts from the new 6.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    really drive Accords??? WOW Idda never thunk it.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    In my second car(not my new Protege!)I have a minor compression dent in my front door (maybe 1/8" deep, 3-4" in diameter). Can anyone tell me from experience if a "suction cup dent puller" such as shown on the following web pages is likely to work on my dent?

shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/usc77240.html

cvfsupplycompany.com/succupdenpul.html

Thanks for any advice.
    Ken, Consumer Reports checked out this claim in a recent issue. Their findings were not favorable. A Dent Puller purchase is most certainly a waste of money.

-larry
    Cindy, a 03 Accord coupe modded out with racer boy add-ons has to be a hoot! Go Speed Racer,Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer Go. Bet the finished Accord looks just like the Mach 5!

http://udel.edu/~mm/anime/speed/
    http://udel.edu/~mm/anime/speed/startup/

http://www.speedracer.com/

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer

He's a demon on wheels

He's a demon and he's gonna be chasing after someone

He's gaining on you so you better look alive

He's busy revving up the powerful Mach Five...

You know I like a good supped-up Civic with stickers, yes lots and lots of stickers for extra HP!

Dinu
    How is your Mazda Protegé today? Both of mine are fast approaching the 50,000 mile warranty limit. Gonna take them in for one last check up next week. BTW, it hasn't snowed for a day or so. Prolly get a foot tonight. I need to go check the Weather Channel, hehe!

-larry
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Mazda is bringing a concept vehicle to Detroit, but is being unusually secretive about what it plans to unveil.

This is from Autoweek.com's Detroit preview section:

MAZDA
    Mazda is being secretive about the concept vehicle it will unveil and won't reveal its shape or size.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Tarted up Mazda3, new derivation of the Mazda9, new 2 door rotary concept, or maybe the Mazdaspeed M6?
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    BTW, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and will have a happy and prosperous New Year.

And NO, I was NOT in Yankee territory (that's a slap in the face for the "southern'r" label) over Christmas. I have a 2000 Emerald Mica ES with amateur radio plates. (And no, Paul, they're not the same as my Yahoo username -- I've upgraded license classes and changed my call. And the Yahoo name was my old call in reverse, btw.)

The real way to distinguish my car from other green '00 ES's is to look on the trunk lid where I have a deck-mounted UHF antenna that looks just like a cell phone antenna -- except unlike most cell phone antennas, it's mounted directly to the trunk lid (hole through the metal) about two inches forward of the spoiler -- cellular antennas are usually glass-mounted.

(That and the "zoom-zoom" decal on the back of the trunk lid, along with "OBX" and "Wave Riding Vehicles" decals. And the fact that the car's in the shop right now for having hit a deer.)

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    ;-)
    you wouldn't put an OBX sticker on your car!
    Zoomster and I had a VERY close call this morning. I had just exited a two-lane toll plaza on an off-ramp, where both toll lanes merge into one lane right after the plaza. I had my Smart Tag so I was able to go through non-stop, but unfortunately the guy going through the booth next to me had one too. We both exited our booths at the same time -- if it weren't for my excellent driving skill, we would've had a Protege/Sable sandwich!

Get this -- when I came to a stop, right front fender and his left front fender were about an INCH from each other, and on the other side, my left front tire was about a HALF-INCH from a very tall curb! Thank god the car stopped in a straight line -- must've been my excellent Dunlop SP Sport A2s, combined with equally excellent front disc/rear drum brakes! (Hee hee, here we go again!!!)

Meade the (fortunate) instigator

P.S. What's wrong with an OBX sticker? ... And I'm surprised you know what it means! (Or do you ...?)

P.P.S. If you'd come to a MAPP instead of a stupid football game you can record on your VCR, you'd know these things!
    accuse me of using a VCR! They are so 90's.

And I'll be attending another stupid football game this weekend!

And if you had rear disc's you would have been 2" from his bumper!

And I've been to Duck a few times, that's the OBX I know. But maybe thats not what you mean?
    We usually stay a few miles farther north in Corolla (no, not IN a Corolla, IN COROLLA!!!)

;-)

I won't glorify your other remarks, although I will say I HIGHLY doubt you have a DVD recorder -- unless you're stupid, paying a thousand bucks for one now when you could wait a year and pay half that.

And TIVO is dumb.

Meade
    Dishnetwork is awesome.
    and an oil change and a tire rotation....
    Larry: The PRO's humming along very well. The snow melted overnight and it;s so warm ourtside I went with only a sweather on! This is tropical weather folks for December!

Meade: What's OBX?

G35: The PVR is great! No more tapes and you can replay TV! Woo hoo!

Dinu
    Dinu ... OBX is an abbreviation for the "Outer Banks" of North Carolina, a highly popular Mid-Atlantic beach area about 100 miles long. The folks out there got the idea after seeing this region's explosion of cutesy car decals imitating the ones they use in Europe to indicate your home country. I don't know about where you live, but here in Virginia they seem to have one of those white oval stickers for everything! It's getting absurd ...

Ray ... I didn't realize you'd unsubscribed from our little group. Please return; you're missed already. Besides, I'll be in there looking for you for noontime chat today.

Affectionately, ;-)

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    my roommate just got a ReplayTV for the holidays. that thing is simply amazing, once you see live TV being paused and rewound and doing slow-mo, you'll never go back to VCR!!!!
    has what they call "On Demand" and allows you to play movies from any of your premium channels with the ability to stop, rewind, fast-forward and pause them for up to 24 hours. There's no extra charge, and all you have to do is enter your choice of channel and time slot on your interactive remote.

Doesn't work on the "adult" channels though, doggone it!!!

;-)

Meade
    Yeah, I have an "RO" sticker with the European Union symbol on it, but it's on a yellow background and the font is dark blue.

In Europe almost everyone has them - the oval decals w/their country's abbreviation.

Dinu
    Back in '98 I made a stopover in Iceland on the way to Glasgow and London on IcelandAir. I have an official yellow, white and black Automobile Association decal for Iceland ... "IS." It's too much of a souvenir to place on my car, though ... it's in our scrapbook from that trip along with the ones from Great Britain, France and Belgium.

Meade
    When I left Japan I had totalled my car there and kept my real japanese liscence plate. It's supposed to be illegal to keep em.
    Usual bat-time, same bat-URL ...

Meade
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hmmm .... look who's back and how much Protege talk is not happening. ;->

Happy New Year!!
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... you got it.

Couple of weekends ago, I swapped out my spark plugs (old ones were over-heated, judging from crusty white deposits, but no black deposits) and plug wires (old ones had been on there for 85K+ miles). Used OEM Mazda/NGK plugs and wires.

The car idles smoother, accelerates better and gas mileage (which had dropped noticeably, mainly because of winter gas composition) has increased again. Well over 30mpg on my XMas road trip, 3-4 more than on my Thanksgiving road trip.

If you have more than 60K miles, change the wires, and every 20-30K miles, change the plugs - makes a huge difference and your car will thank you :)
    Please note that all my off-topic posts today have been in RESPONSE to off-topic posts brought up by others who took the discussion off-topic in the first place ...

God, I can't even post friendly replies without drawing your ire! May not be much Protege talk today, but at least this discussion is now back to normal! Fifty-how-many hours without a post the other day???

In my defense, O Host of Hosts, please note that I have spent a little time on the Posse today too ... OK? Peace? Love? Proteges?

Meade

P.S. Please read over the posts of the past nine days during my absence and note the off-topic banter that took place in my absence ...
    lighten up Meade. :):):)

Didnja see my grin??
    I just thought your post was a little strange after coming back after nine days away and reading about tires, weather, Christmas presents, Honda Accords, brakes, IP addresses and IT departments, the ethics of web browsing at work, etc.

This, my dear host, proves without a shadow of a doubt that I am ... and I take great honor in being ... your whippin' boy.

THANK YOU MA'AM, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!

:D

Meade
    How 'bout I just send you to the Posse discussion without your dinner.

Bye now. :)
    There's a new one in my driveway. Durn things are like Kudzu.
    C'mon, you can do better than THAT!

I was envisioning the rack or the cat o' nine tails ...

Servant Meadeball
    I HATE it when she does that!

;D

Meade
    I know ...

I was driving around town in my Emerald Mica 2000 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed today, admiring the pull of my 1.8-liter, dual-overhead-cam, 16-valve engine with more than 48,500 miles on it, the quick, fluid throws of my 5-speed shifter, and admiring the comfort provided by this sedan even with its tight suspension, attributed to Kansei engineering, when I suddenly thought ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

See you all January 2, and Pat, enjoy your day off from me!!!

;-)

Meade
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Just turned 30,000 on my 00 ES. I believe we purchased our Pro's around the same time?

She still looks like the day I picked her up. Hope that last check up goes well.

Regards,
    Mark.

p.s. What's with Pat the host? She seems to single you out in a prejudicial manner? My brother works in the same building in CA. as Edmunds. Let me know if you need any help. ; )
    Heh, but *I* am not in California!!

Happy New Year everybody!

(Meade likes it when I pick on him -- can't ya tell?)
    He likes abuse because he's a "mazdachist"
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    buried below there will interest me as a next purchase. I don't want a car that looks like a SUV. I guess my 2002 Protege will be my last Mazda. Too bad.
    Either those are small wheels or that car has killer brakes.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Dude, they could have a Ferarri 360 Modena buried under all that cladding and we probably wouldn't know it!

Plus, the car in question is clearly the Protege5 replacement, not the sedan so its not surprising that you think it looks a little "SUV"y with all the extra cladding on it.

I know a Mazda dealer principle who has seen pictures of the new Mazda3 and he was very impressed with the way the car looks - lots of styling cues from the RX-8.

I got my fingers crossed and my hopes up on this one. I think the car is going to be a real winner for Mazda.
    doesn't that masking they have around it remind you of hannibal?