Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Even if the cord strays all over my center console and squeaking noises come out of the tape player, it's the cheapest and easiest solution.

Mazda, make your stereo ISO-DIN compartments deeper to fit more aftermarket head units!

Sheesh.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    give us a rear input plug so that we can easily use any portable device with the factory stereo!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is ISO International Organization for Standardization? What does DIN mean?
    Is the dash opening for the Protege stereo an odd size?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    DIN is an acronym for Deutsche Institut fur Normung. Obviously, it's a German standards organization and they have made a standard for the size of the dash opening for car stereos. I cannot remember the exact measurements, but they are specific. I'm pretty sure the Protege's stereo is a double DIN. You can still get a regular sized DIN stereo and use a dash kit. That way you'll have a nice little storage space below your stereo and you'll have many more choices of CD/radio decks.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    It has been snowing alomost non-stop in the last 24hrs and ALL roads and highways are covered with snow, snow and slush or slush only. There are no dry roads!

The AVID Touring were finally tested for a longer time in snow and I must admit I was wrong about them. They provide a really good snow/slush traction!!!

If they were only this great in the rain...

Dinu
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    my Pro dry cleaned? It's been months since it was washed!

fowler3
    The openings and mounting brackets are DIN, but the depth of the pocket is less than in most vehicles, and most aftermarket head units. Most Kenwoods and Pioneers will fit, but most others (Aiwa, JVC, Sony etc) won't without either removing the rear support bracket or letting the head unit stick out of the dashboard a bit.

And most Kenwood and Pioneer units don't have a standard AUX in. Some let you use the CD-changer port to connect another device with the addition of an adapter, usually the more expensive units.

I'd like to install either an Aiwa or JVC unit, but they don't fit without removal of the rear support bracket.

I hope Mazda doesn't continue to make non-standard stereo compartments like they do in the 6. The more I think about it, the less I like that about the 6. Too bad. It's a nice car.
  • lovely13675lovely13675 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have an interesting problem. This 1998 Protege Dx has 87,000 miles on it. It's been a great car with no problems until now. This is annoying but does not affect the driving of my car in any way. No shaking and no vibrations.
    While driving along there is no noise until I hit around 68-70 mph. Then I hear a "chee chee chee" sounding noise. It sounds like it's coming from the right front side of car. It's not real loud. Once I hit 72mph the noise goes away. If I'm slightly under or over the 70 ish ....no noise. If I hear the noise and let up or push beyond 70, the noise always goes away. There is no hesitation in the engine at all. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    It sounds like your wheel bearing might be going. I had a similar thing happen in my old car, it was only was noticeable at 65mph, and was otherwise silent.
  • townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    I'm ready to install new speakers in my 02 ES. I understand that the need for better speakers was mentioned in an edmunds review. I'd like advice... what speakers would be recommended?
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I installed the Kenwood speakers from the MP3 in my 2001 ES. They really made a big difference. One nicety with those is, if you get the dealer to do the installation, they are covered under your bumper to bumper warranty.
    Doesn't Kenwood make, also, the stereo on recent Pro's? Any idea of the speaker model name?
    I thought the 01+ stereos were Panasonic.

Dinu
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You are correct. When my one headunit blew in my 01 ES, the dealer told me it was a Panasonic unit.
    Usually, the manufacturer prints their name on the speakers somewhere on the back side (look at the ones in your trunk). On 99-00 models, they were Pioneers all around. That's why I assume the stock stereo is a Pioneer (usually, the auto mfr. gets a whole system from the same source, but not always). Hey, I have an extra (somewhat defunct) head unit sitting around...I can take a look at that.

I don't know about the ones in 01-03 models. My wife has a 2003 P5, and I'd have to remove a door panel to get a gander, so it might be a while before I have a response for you (especially since I have to get her OK first).
    I just went to bizrate.com, clicked on car speakers - and got 500 matches. Wow! (And the prices for some of 'em... yikes.)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Do some of your research on Crutchfield, but don't buy there unless you have discounts or lots of money to throw away!

In my experience (95 DX0 some non-recommended speakers (6x9 for rear) made by Kenwood (6908) fit perfectly happily in the car! But some have raised tweeters or non-detachable grills - those can be a bigger problem! I did not use the Kenwood grills on either speaker I installed (6504 in front, IIRC - 6.5"). They sit pretty, right under the existing door and rear-deck grills. Huge difference in sound for relatively little money (50+65 for the pairs)

If you have decided what speaker you want, try ebay as a source to buy them - I got a great deal on the rears! They (or a more basic, 'cheaper version of them) cost twice as much at Crutchfield! Yeah, they're new and came with warrant from an authorized reseller!
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    When I upgraded the speakers in my 01 ES, the ones I took out of the front were not labeled beyond a stamping which read 8 ohms. The rears I removed were 25W Pioneers. Panasonic makes at least the base and CD player of the modular head unit. Other manufacturers may make the cassette, MD Player (probably Sony), and 6 Disc changer from my recollection.

The Kenwoods I put in were the 6808 up front and the X698 in the rear.

If you buy from Mazda (e.g. Mazdastuff.com or some other site), you get the X688C for the front and the X698 for the rear. At $104 and $124 respectively, those are a pretty good deal. Crutchfield charges $149 and $199 for those, and theirs don't even come pre-wired for Mazda's wiring harnesses. The down side is you would need to get a Mazda dealer to install them, otherwise you only get a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    What?
    Who or what?
    621 posts from 20,000. That is,... only on topic posts! ;-) Anyone care to pick a date for the event? How bout 2/27/03...we shall see! How about the poster? Prolly,...Meade or Paul King. However, I'll go for a long shot....the_big_h is my pick!

Tomorrow is my 2000 Mazda Protegé ES sedan's last service under factory warranty. We shall see.

-Larry
    Clint's car is close to the end of its standard factory warranty as well, but he got extended. Meade should be about close too, but I know his is extended as well.
    I passed 48,800 miles this morning. I must find a warm(er) afternoon one of these days to give the car a good going-over and peek under the hood prior to my factory warranty expiring, but honestly I haven't one real complaint about my car in 50,000 miles.

Funny Larry -- as this discussion came up on my screen and I noticed how many posts we'd racked up, I wondered, "Hmmm, when will Larry come in and start cheerleading for the 'Race to 20,000?'" Ya beat me to it, Love Train!!!

Where's Dale?

Meade
    Did you get the Mazda extended factory warranty with yours, or an aftermarket one? I tried to get the factory one for mine, but it's not offered. I had to go aftermarket on it.
    But if you're talking about the extended warranty that was offered to me at the time of purchase, the one offered by the company Mazda uses for extended warranties (Easy Care, www.easycare.com), then I got Mazda's warranty.

Read the first article under "News" on that site if this sounds strange to you.

And why did VW snub you? You can't tell me your dealership doesn't offer an extended warranty for its cars? It's a money-maker!

Meade
    They offered one when I bought it, but I didn't get it then. I didn't know how long I would keep the car, but since I wanna keep it until it dies now I wanted the extended warranty. I will check out EasyCare cuz I have like 30 days to stop the one I have if I want to, if I change my mind.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I think it's sold as Mazda Extended Protection Plan (MEPP). Nothing new for the service contract biz; they are basic insurance policies administered by whoever they can find.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    was too high for an extended warrenty, passed on it.

fowler3

Why is it a penny for your thoughts,
    but you have to put your 2 cents in.
    Where's that other penny going?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    Anyone have a fix for a CD player ['99es] that occasionally doesn't want to read a track, or an entire disc.

"zoom, zoom." "zoom, zoom," "zoom, zoom;" "zoom, zoom"? "zoom, zoom"! unless you mean "zoom, zoom!"
    Of course, I got the optional cassette player, so I can do that.

I tried the lens cleaners (the kind with the little brushes). I even took the head unit out and cleaned off the lens with some rubbing alcohol and the foam-type swabs (to avoid leaving lint), like you do with camera lenses.

My CD player won't play CDs anymore. I think the laser LED has burned out since it was a gradual loss (sometimes had trouble moving to the next track, sometimes had to reinsert discs, then can't play anything, including factory CDs), and the other functions work OK. LEDs do degrade over time. I guess I worked mine too much.

You might try cleaning off the lens first. And if you use CDRs, switch to more reflective ones. They'll demand less power from the laser LED, extending its remaining life.
    "A penny saved is never spent."

Hey -- I merged onto I-95 this morning and there was a first-generation LX (1.6-liter) just a little behind me in the lane I needed to merge into. He saw me and started to accelerate, trying to get past me so I could merge in BEHIND him. Well, Zoomster wanted none of that, so we dropped down to fourth and CREAMED HIS BAHOOOTY!!! Loved every minute of it ...

DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOOMSTER.

Meadeball
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Don't go beating up on those gutsy smaller-engined Proteges - they like to Zoom Zoom too, you know!
    But the 1.8, then, ZOOM ZOOMS!!!

And if you (like me) have a 1.8 5-speed, well then ...

ZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM
    ZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM

Meade
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    A little while back, I indicated that Mazda reps would be dropping by soon with pictures of the new 2004 Mazda3.

They did.

I'm freakin' looking at it right now!!!!!!!! I have a front 3/4 and side shot of both the sedan and 5-foor.

I don't have a scanner, so I can't post anything tonight, (as a matter of fact, I haven't even decided if I will post it - I don't want to get myself or anyone else in trouble) but I will try and describe them to you.

First off, do I like it? Yes, although I now like the sedan more than 5-door.

What do they look like?

OK, here I go. First, the sedan.

I had been previously told to expext to see lots of RX-8 in the new M3. Well, I don't really see it. To me, the car looks more like a smaller, somewhat more agressive looking Mazda6.

The car I have pictured is obviously the top trim level. It is red, has what appears to be 16 inch gorgeous alloy wheels and a collor-keyed front grill (exactly like the optional sport grill on the M6).

Grill shape and headlights are very similar to the current M6, although they are smoked - like the current Protege. The headlights assembly has three projectors - there are relatively small rounded fog lights on the lower fascia.

The hood has very similar character lines to the M6, but there's more a power bulge to the hood.

Viewed from the side, the front half of the car is - again - very similar to the M6. The rear half - especially the C pillar - looks very much like the current Jetta. Door handles? Just like the M6. 4 wheels discs on this car.

Rear end. Very hard to tell with the shots I have. My guess is that it will - again - look very similar to the current M6. Small decklid "chin" spoiler on the car in this photo.

Oooh, oooh, oooh!!! The sedan is nice.

A word on the engine front. Protege lovers, your dreams have come true - the 160 HP 2.3 will be available in the M3.

OK (grin grin), now for the 5-door.

I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the this one. I currently have a P5, and in all honestly I think I kinda like the current one better.

Just about everything I said above applies, so I will concentrate on what's different.

The back end is less steeply raked than the current model - in other words it looks more hatchbacky and less wagony if you get my drift. It may just be the color of the cars, but the hatch also appears to have a much more prominent fenders and a character line that runs the length of the car.

It gives it a more high beltline kinda look. In that way it kinda looks like that silver hatch "spy photo" of the M3 that has been kicking around the net forever.

I'm going to leave my description at that for now, but I am more than happy to answer questions.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    POST THE PICTURES!

(if you don't get in any trouble...)

you know, you could always change your IP, screen name, and pretend to be someone else for the moment! ;)
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Pretty please?
  • tradrcttradrct Member Posts: 7
    at the same time!

I'm at 49,320 miles or so on my 2000 DX.. its covered by so much salt at the moment that its rediculous.. really needs a wash and wax very soon among other things it's gonna get as presents for its 50k mark.. (oil change, spark plugs, wires) :D

The ONLY needed repair so far in ownership has been a MAF, and it was my fault (I poked the thing while cleaning it with a cue tip and Check Engine Light came on and never disappeared.. covered under warranty though somehow ) - it's been a perfect little car..

Hoping it doesn't snow for a while here in CT.. it's been excessive :(

David
    Wow, an opportunity for greater acceleration and improved fuel economy over current specs. That's got me drooling now.

Something in the compact range like the 3 definitely appeals more to me than a mid-size like the 6 (although it's still very appealing). From a practicality standpoint, I'm more interested in a 5dr than a 4dr.

Too bad they're making the rear of the 5dr 3 more of a hatchback than a wagon. I kinda like the proportions of the current P5 (which my wife kindly let me drive last night...what a blast). Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see.
    I might just have to reconsider my desire for a Mazda6 in 2005 or 2006 when it's finally time to part with Zoomster. After all, I was cringing at paying 25 or 26 grand, and I really had fears about buying another car with a Ford engine in it (I was set on the 6s, thinking the 6i's 2.3-liter four may not quite be enough Zoom for me).

But since Mazda will HAVE to keep the price down on this car lest it bump into the 6's price range, this sounds like a lot of style and Zoom for just around (or maybe a wee bit under if we're lucky) 20 grand?

OK, ya got ME drooling as well! (Just don't tell Zoomster; if he finds out I'm looking at other Mazdas he may decide to need a new clutch or something in retaliation!!!)

:)

Meade
    Could this be the present-day reiteration of the 121/Festiva?

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/public/200209/0903e.html

Plus I picked up this line at autobuy.about.com in a review of the Mazda6:

"The new model plan includes a Protegé replacement based on the Ford Focus to be built in Japan and called the Mazda3, and a yet smaller model to be called Mazda2."

... And this from autonews.com:

"The front-drive subcompact will be restyled and re-engineered for the 2005 model year. Ford, Mazda and Volvo jointly are developing the re-engineered platform, which will be shared with the next-generation Mazda Protege/Mazda3 and Volvo 40. All-wheel-drive derivatives are planned; under consideration is a sport wagon for the 2006 or 2007 model year."

Ya with me on this Dinu?

Meade

I'm with ya there. Since I was a bit disappointed in the size of the 6, thought it would be bigger, I'd be more inclined to stay with the 3 especially if that engine is what really happens.

Now if I could just get a 3 ragtop, I'd be really happy.
    Re-read it for some interesting tidbits.

Meade

P.S. Are you proud of me today Pat? :)
    "A redesigned Protege has apparently been postponed from 2004 to the '05 model year, but will definitely be renamed Mazda3. Sources say it will be related to parent Ford's next-generation Focus and a new entry-level Volvo 40-Series. All three will share a clean-sheet unibody platform, plus various chassis components and electronic systems as part of Ford's "C1" small-car program. Styling, features and performance will be unique to and consistent with each nameplate's "brand values." The Mazda apparently gets carryover Protege powertrains per Ford's current cost-cutting program. A 4-door hatchback may join the wagon and notchback sedan.

"An even smaller Mazda2 is also being rumored for the U.S. market. This would be based on the redesigned replacement for Mazda's Japanese-market Demio, a tall-body mini-minivan with 4-cyl power in the 1.3-1.5-liter range. No word yet on timing or even whether the idea has Ford's blessing, but we'll keep you posted."

OK, enough quote-hunting. I've got work to do today!

But please, somebody post some pics!

Meade
    You bet!

Another Protege, with a 2.3L, style and handling for a price similar to the current Protege?

I love that 6 HB, but when it comes down to it, I can have a baby 6 for less and still have fun with it.

Dinu
    The Protege/3 may be marketed toward younger buyers, but even at the ripe old age of 38, I'm a "pocket rocket" fanatic! Maybe since the pocket rocket craze started in 1985 when I was 20, with such models as the Toyota Corolla FX-16 (WHAT? A SIXTEEN-VALVE, DOHC ENGINE in an ECONOMY CAR?!!), the Wabbit GTI, the MR2 (I always wanted one), etc. Man, what a great time to be a young guy. Weren't those the days of fun cars? Before emissions stuff and other regs started ruining everything?

Meade