Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    I never looked at merlin's profile. If that's the case then I think you're right. But I think they do recommend getting it inspected at 60k, don't they?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Pretty sure, but don't quote me. Haven't seen a Pro owner's manual for over a year now...
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "I am surprised the Poortenza tires lasted 60K miles. That is a big shocker for me actually."

Vocus, when you hydroplane tire wear is less. ;)

The Mazda3's instrument panel looks as good or better than the 6's. Especially the center stack.

I think the web site that posted that should have test-driven a 6, first. And the added colorizing doesn't do anything for the B&W photos.

fowler3
  • Options
    sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    I've not seen this here yet..I'm going to do it. Sounds like fun.

http://www.mazdarevitup.com/home.asp
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    signed up for FedEx Field event on July 27, 9am group :-D

Meade? Paul? should I expect you guys to be there?
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Are they using automatics in the event?? I hope not...Paul, you'd better learn to drive stick real soon!
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I'm going, only if they are using manuals though.
  • Options
    I'm not sure. My guess is that they would have both. Although it might be all automatics since they seem to want to get a real cross-section of people and want to show off the handling characteristics of the car. With either transmission, it sounds like a lot of fun, and you can definately learn something. Now the sad part, I found out about it from my friend who frequents www.audiworld.com. Why I didn't get something from mazda either through email or post is beyond me, nor did it seem anyone else. How did you find out about it Hank?

Steve
  • Options
    to save all the manual n00bs from killing hundreds of clutches. Yes Paul you don't have to know stick to participate.

think of the clutches!!!!

yeah steve, the 'notification email' from the previous version of the site never went through :rolleyes: I didn't know about the begin of official registration until someone at rx8forum linked it.

so steve, are you in?
  • Options
  • Options
    yup, I'm in. I got the 9am sunday as well, I think it was group 10.
  • Options
    same group as me...
  • Options
    fowler3
  • Options
    The government says gasoline prices will hit US$1.76 on average in April. It's currently US$1.59 in NC. Sheesh, glad I don't drive all that much.

My cousin is complaining, she drives a Ford conversion-van V8, gets 13mpg! Has a 25 gallon tank.

fowler3
  • Options
    I paid 1.68 a gallon for 89 octane last night. My tank was on empty almost, and it took $23 to fill my car. :(
  • Options
    I did try to learn to drive a stick, with a co-worker of mine. I asked him every weekend in February, and every weekend in February it snowed in MD. Now he doesn't work here anymore. :(

I was thinking about signing up, but never did. Maybe I will change my mind. Why are there 3 different times for each of the runs? 3 runs I assume? I don't know how it works, never Autoxed before.

Also, Hank, I would love to learn stick if you're willing to teach me in the RX-7... :)
  • Options
    Good luck w/ that Vocus:

Also, Hank, I would love to learn stick if you're willing to teach me in the RX-7... :)
  • Options
    paul, sign up for the event anyway, they'll have plenty of instructions so you won't be lost on the course....

and hands off my RX-7! :-D
  • Options
    I was just kidding about the RX-7. :) I kinda figured they would have instructions. I am really thinking about signing up, but haven't totally decided yet. I more than likely will, but we shall see...
  • Options
    Ripping around an autoX course in an automatic Mazda6? In the rules, it says, no burnouts. Can an automatic Mazda6S even do a burnout? Seriously, I understand why they would use all automatics, but I would guess most people who are interested in autoX know how to drive a manual. I was really pumped about doing that until I heard they were all automatics. That was a huge disapointment.
  • Options
    Umm...I meant good luck having you let Paul drive the RX-7 and mashing the synchros.

What were you thinking??
  • Options
    Having never drove a stick shift car, I guess I don't know what the big deal is with it. I am sure manual cars are more 'involving' to drive, but like I said I woudln't know (not yet anyway)..

What about using the manual shifting feature on the tranny? Would that help a little? Everyone who participates also has to sign a release saying if you damage the car, it's your responsibility to pay for its repair.

I don't think you can do a burnout in a 6s automatic, there might not be enough power at the low end since torque doesn't peak until 5000rpm.
  • Options
    You have no faith in me... :(
  • Options
    I drove a 4-cylinder 5-speed 6 and a 6-cylinder auto 6...The 4 felt much faster than the 6 (manual vs auto).
  • Options
    That's no shock though, considering how high of an RPM the 6 delivers its torque.
  • Options
    I have no faith in any slushbox drivers trying to drive stick their first time. Hey...if you came out here, I'd let you take out the '91 Jetta. :D
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Believe me, the 6 excels in tight, fast turns. Even the 6i AT.

Autocross is all about lateral transitions (turns etc.). Straight-line speed isn't much of an issue (although being able to pull out of turns quickly is) as there aren't that many straight-aways (usually). An adequately powered car with good handling is more appriopriate than an overpowered car with lousy handling.

You can still learn a great deal (unless you've done this already), and can extrapolate to your MT-equipped car.
  • Options
    I was going to learn in a '97 Jetta of my co-worker's anyway, but he left before I had a chance. :( I hear Honda is about the best stick, and would probably be a good one to learn on. VWs' stick shifts and clutches suck.
  • Options
    I'm sure it still be kind of fun, but it's almost an insult to the Mazda6 to only have automatics available. They should just have a couple of automatics for those who absolutely cannot drive a manual. The manuals would be faster around the track so you would have a better chance of winning if you could drive one. Manual tranny drivers everywhere have to "suffer" through traffic and this should be their chance to have an advantage.

I just can't believe Mazda would have an event like this featuring their new "sport sedan" and only have automatics. It just seems nuts to me. They could just bring extra flywheels and clutches if they needed them. I'm sure they'll have extra tires and brakes, if they're using the same cars across the country.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    solenoid :) And you all thought I was going to say "6". HA HA!

Yeah I did the oil change today, and told them about the knocking issue and that there's a TSB for it.

The car will need a new solenoid and to reprogram the computer (they'll call me next week when the expect to have the part in).

And since I was there, guess what I drove?

Yellow, V6, FULLY LOADED... 6! Unfortunately it was a Sport Auto, but the car is a BLAST to drive, even with auto! Will write more on the 6 board tomorow about it.

What can I say? Wow!

Dinu
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Let us know what you think.

I stopped by the Cincinnati Auto Expo. Lots of ugly cars. Audi interior bits didn't work or were broken (kind of bad for a $40k car...it was the A4 convertible). No RX-8, what a disappointment. They had a lousy corner spot too. At least there were people milling around and in the cars. I still can't look at the spice orange MSP w/o grimacing. Ick. What a lousy color to put on a nice car.
  • Options
    BTW, what does a solenoid do?

Dinu
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I seen a siver one outside the dealership I live by. I saw a blue and a black 6 outside the same dealership a few months ago. They each took I estimate 2-3 weeks to sell. I seen a white Millenia sitting outside the dealership too. Still there after 2 months. I bet you they sell the silver 6 before they sell the Millenia. Also seen a blue P5 there around Christmas time. It didn't sit there long.
  • Options
    On the way home from a park this morning a bright red sports car passed me like a rocket. At first, I thought it was an Italian car then maybe a Miata, but too large for a Miata, it was a hardtop. It disappeared around a curve too fast for me to see badges on the back. Shortly, I caught up with it at a taffic light. Looked brand new it was so clean and shinny. While I was still admiring it the driver took off -- ZOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM. What a great sound.

Paul, it takes a long time to train your left foot to do something besides loaf on a dead pedal. Stick shifting is coordination of hand and BOTH feet while steering. Knowing when to let the clutch out, when to shift and which gear, and heel-and-toeing in quick movements. The clutch is what stymies newbies, they forget to put it in as the car slows down and to downshift. Learning to upshift without running through the gears is another, knowing when is the trick.

When people who have driven MTs for a long time get into a car with an AT, they quickly realize their left foot has a mind of its own -- it automatically goes for the clutch pedal -- THUMP! No pedal, as their foot hits the floorboard.

fowler3
  • Options
    When a friend from England was visiting the States I asked him about British cars exported to the USA, such as the Jaguar. When they convert the cars to the lefthand positon do they also change the pedals and gear shift pattern? Is the clutch on the right side for British driving, for example? He said the pedals, gear shift pattern, and steering wheel are the same, only the instrument panel is made differently.

He rented a Pontiac Grand Am for touring up the East Coast, calling it a "Pony-ach". LOL! Learning to drive and staying RIGHT was another matter. He said he went into ditches several times until he got the hang of it. Probably because he was use to rails -- he's a train driver. Last year he bought a Mercedes-Benz C320, righthand drive.

fowler3
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    While I was a Marine. I found the left hand shifting more natural feeling for some reason. I don't know why.
  • Options
    are the gates the same between RHD and LHD cars?

like we have:

1 3 5
    2 4 R

are RHD cars the same arrangement or do they invert that as well, and end up with:

5 3 1
    R 4 2

g35 can you answer that for me please :-)
  • Options
    The shift patterns are the same.
  • Options
  • Options
    The steering wheel is just on the other side of the car. I've seen a few Fairlady Z's (300ZX) here but I would be afraid to drive one of those cars inthe states. I so wanted to bring a Skyline home though.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I wanted to say this too, but then people would have called me "biased" since I learnt to drive on a right hand drive car with shifting using the left hand.....u can stay in control of the car with the right hand while your left hand does the light work of shifting through the gears....

and to confirm to wat others have said....the pedals and the gear shift pattern is the same for Right hand drive cars
  • Options
    I never thought of it like that. I'll bet that IS why I felt more "natural" driving from the other side of the car.
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I don't have any problem of driving in UK besides these two things:

1) I have tendency to drive closer to the left side (the normally empty space is replaced by half of the car)

2) going reverse. Yes, when I'm doing reverse in a "normal" car, I turn my head on the right side and controlling steer my left hand. In UK, my head will bump into the side window and I can't steer that well in reverse with my right arm, question of education I guess.

Bruno
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    A friend used to autocross his fiat 124 keeping the rpm's between 5k and 8k. That way he didn't need brakes. He turned good times. No wonder mazda is supplying only auto trans cars.
  • Options
    h109h109 Member Posts: 36
    I too learnt to drive with RHD cars. In fact, I used to drive a manual with the shifter on the steering column. It was an old 60s model FIAT clone (Correct me if I am wrong, Chikoo). To put that car into first gear, you had to almost stand on the clutch pedal and pull the shifter with all your might. LOL! What fun, I say...

Any memories, Chikoo? :-)
  • Options
    We had an Ambassador MArk-II thru MArk-IV with steering column mounted shifter.
    Never drove a FIAT but from what I heard, the FIAT was a ladies car compared to the Ambassador.

Later on I upgraded to Floor shifted Maruti-800.
  • Options
    "Based upon its sales performance in 2002 Mazda is the third best selling import brand in Canada"

http://www.mazda.ca/english/40_38248.htm

Dinu
  • Options
    I was going at 60mph on I-76 thru philly outskirts when I spotted a 2002 Acura Integra coming up fast behind me and I suddenly felt inspired and punched my gas pedal while dropping the car from O/D...and Zooooom went my car, the integra still coming up behind me, almost catching up on me. Then came a sharp turn of around 75degrees from the straight line. I kept my speed of 80mph thru the turn, with no brakes applied. The car held on great. No squeals, no oversteer. And suddenly the integra was waaay behind me in my rear view mirror. But alas, now the I-76 was straight as an arrow for the next 1 mile and the acura started to come closer and closer. but luck was with me. At the end of the I mile, the I-76 turns sharply at 90degrees. I punched my brakes, dropped my car from the O/D while in the turn and made the turn at almost 55mph racing to 80mph after I exited the run. Again no squeals, no oversteer, no loss of control whatsoever. Once agains the acura was waaaay behind and I could barely see its headlights till it finally faded away.

Tonight I am really proud of my car and my driving skills :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Once again, the PRO holds his/her own on the twisties (only to feel the heat on the straights).

Dinu