Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdanymazdany Member Posts: 28
    1. Does the Pro need to have it's bearings repacked? When?

2. Does the Pro still need a chassis lube?

The owners manual does not address these issues.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Don't know about the bearings being repacked, but I would think the owner's manual would say something about that. Maybe it's one of the 'inspect' things on the 30/60/90K list...

The Protege's (and most new cars') suspension is lubed for life, no lubes needed.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    both front and rear are sealed bearings so no re-packing is needed.
  • mazdanymazdany Member Posts: 28
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    Folks looking for all-season tires for pro's may want to check out the contiextreme contact, available in 205/55-15 and 205/55-16 for cheap. Letters from users are positive, but no tests yet.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Proteges never had grease fittings, ever.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I haven't seen many posts lately. Maybe everyone is either in DC PROtesting, folks, they don't mean our Pros, or watching the basketball tournaments?

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    the oil fields we will be very happy we have economical cars. :D

I heard some place if that disaster happens gas prices could stay high for a year or more. Hope our guys from Ft. Bragg get there in time.

fowler3
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Basketball today (Duke-Carolina rematch makes my Saturday, although I am pulling for State to win it all). Sickness for the past week.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    in the 6 forum nowadays. There's even more activity in the Mazda3 sedan and wagon forums...

BTW, my PRO is doing great!

Dinu
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I rolled down my windows today, after 5 months.
    I was like....man out of the prison :)

WoW....the sweet roar of the 1.8L with the windows down...simply magnificent....My personal opinion is that this sweet throaty midrange roar cannot be accomplished by any ALL ALuminium engine... never.... CI block rules when it comes to tuning the engine for a sweet sound under acceleration & which does not peter down when shifting gears.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Short 750K WMV vido of my Protege and friend's Miata. Tell me what you think.

http://www.knology.net/~negatize/images/Protege.WMV
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I hope Mazda is working hard, because the next auto I buy will be a hybrid or some other high fuel economy vehicle. As much as I enjoy zoom-zooming, I don't enjoy the prospect of driving on a highway paved with the death of innocent people.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Oh yeah :)

That's all I have to say.

Dinu
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Careful Tom. Pat burned me on another board for bringing politics into the discussion.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    well, yes -- this is a car place. There are plenty of other sites on the web where those kinds of thoughts can be examined and argued and what have you. But most of our membership appreciates the fact that this site is a place to escape from all of that, at least for a time.

So let's not go there, okay?
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Has the IRS officially started allowing the $2,000 hybrid fuel economy deduction for the 2003 Tax year? I tell you, the Honda Civic hybrid might be of interest to me with a $2,000 hybrid fuel economy tax deduction. I doubt, Mazda would invest in hybrid technology. Don't fit the Zoom Zoom image. However, Ford is looking at a hybrid technology for there infamous Exploder er...ah...Explorer Sport-utility vehicle. Maybe, Fords hybrid technology could find it's way into a future Mazda product?

-Larry
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    the whole hybrid thing. My old CRX HF got 60mpg without any special technology. Some old Metro or something got about the same thing. I know the CRX was just a 2 seater and these new hybrids are sedans and now maybe even larger, but for those just looking for a commuter car a 2 seater would be fine.

If we're so concerned about mileage, but bring those high mileage cars back.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Marketing folk would have a hard time selling that now.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    IMHO, if we care about environment, we should start by:

- providing better public transportations,
    - lowering the number of cars that driking the most of fuels: V8 SUV and pickup truck,
    - introducing more diesel engines.

With respect to the car like the Protege, the hybrid will save 1-1.5 gallons per 100 miles, at most, and those V8-SUV consumes 2-2.5 gallons more. Pick your choice.

The hybrid is a nice technological showcase, but it won't do much for environment, at least not for now.

Bruno
    Has anyone here driven a hybrid vehicle on a test drive? They drive alot differently than the gas powered cars, at least the Toyota Prius that I drove did. It was very difficult to modulate the brakes, and the dealer told me this was because of the 'regenerative braking' system...

If the US looked more into diesel fuel like Europe has, they'd be doing something. Diesel engines are a little 'dirtier', but alot less complex than hybrids and get a consistent 50mpg. The engines also require less maintenance and last along longer than their gasoline counterparts.

Another thing no one mentions about the hybrids if the fact that those batteries have to eventually be replaced. Recycling those is not good for the environment at all...

Also, even with the govt. discounts, you will have to drive a 'hybrid' vehicle for years to make up the difference in fuel cost savings vs. initial cost and maintenance of that hybrid system.
    I don't know why low-power cars like the CRX and Metro wouldn't make it today, the hybrids have about the same level of acceleration as those cars do. And they come without the complexity or extra cost on top of it.

If the Metro was still made today, and was as substantial as the Civic, I bet they would sell out of them.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Do diesels pollute less/more/same as conventional engines?
    That's the one problem. They pollote more in their current state, due to the crappy diesel fuel that the US uses. Around 2006, the quality of the fuel is said to be improved. Truckers keep lobbying to keep diesel prices down though for now, which means the more refined diesel isn't here due to price. Since they pay for most of the fuel, they seem to get their way.

The only diesel-powered cars on the market right now are the VW TDIs, so maybe the US will start producing more diesel powered cars as the diesel emissions gets cleaned up, and Americans gain more interest in diesel engines. That remains to be seen though.

Speaking from experience, the TDIs run on biodiesel or reconstituted vegetable oil (I have seen it in person, otherwise I wouldn't believe it either), they produce a consistent 50mpg, their maintenance is lower than a gas engine, and they last longer (a good 300K miles). With the right tuning, they can have as much power as a gas engine too, and their torque is astronomical.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I don't know about the US gasoil, but I have seen a recent study in europe that confirms the diesel engines release less toxic compounds. Diesel engines have great progress in their design lately. The "common rail" technique makes the engine almost as powerful as regular engines. Large torque are available at lower RPM. BMW ane Mercedes sale sporty models with diesel engines in europe, and Paul is right, diesel engine can use colza (rapeseed) oil.

Bruno
    Like I said, if we would get the better diesel that Europe gets, and Americans would 'bite' with diesels, they would be popular here like they are in the US.

The thing that makes diesel popular in Europe is its price and economy level compared to gas, which are lower and higher, respectively. BMW, VW, Mercedes, all makes sold in Europe have reglar and 'sport' models with diesel engines.

I have seen firsthand what you can do to a TDI engine to make it perform. Its torque level would put a Dodge Ram V10 to shame...

I also apologize for speaking off-topic in the Protege forum, just trying to spread some little known info about diesel engines.
    I think the reason why Europe has so many diesels is because their gasoline isn't government subsidised. I don't know if the US would want that many diesels here because the smog in major European cities is horrible from them.
    You make a point about the smog, and current gasoline engines are cleaner than their diesel counterparts. But with the new emissions standards coming for diesels in the later part of this decade, that should help some.
    Plus all the safety features required today would make the car weight too much. I think you need at least 100hp to keep from being in danger. This is on the assumption we want a "real" 4 passenger car and not a dedicated mileage maker like the Insight.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I know they were good on MPG...but for some reason I don't think they were that high. I thought they were right around 40 mpg.
    A guy I know delivered pizza in one. We used to marvel at how little gas he used.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    that gave 22 km/litre. (EPA testing)
    (in real city conditions, it gave me 17-18 km/litre)

Thus 50mpg sounds about right.
    Not every tank. I got about 50 mpg if it was all around town driving.

My highest was on an all highway trip, I recorded 62.

Drove the HF in high school and all through college. I wish I could buy one brand new today.
    A car with all the modern safety features could still run with 55-60hp. When gas goes up to $3 a gallon or more, you will be surprised what people will buy...

In addition, if one can get 50-60mpg in a car that's going for $10-12,000, why pay $20,000+ for a hybrid vehicle with its more complex (and expensive) powertrain and the same performance/fuel economy??
    But until then they'll have a hard time here. Just as you won't see many Excursions in Germany.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is an excellent conversation to be having in the Posse discussion.

Also you might want to check out Is it time to buy a hybrid? Are they up to the chore? and Hybrid vs Diesel over in News & Views.

:)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I think they should start throwing some of that engineering at increasing economy since I think their hp and torque output is plenty in the new line of reciprocating engines. The Mazda3 2.0 is supposed to make about 147hp and the 2.3 will make the same as it does in the 6 (about 160hp). I hope the fuel economy is greater as the 3 will be lighter than the 6, but that depends a lot on how they gear it.

The RX-8's ratings are what give me pause about getting one. I'd love to get one (if I fit), but I still can't easily swallow getting lower fuel economy than I get now (28+mpg).
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Over on the Mazda6 discussion, I've been following the discussion about factory ordering a Mazda6. My question is, how does the system work for a Pro/Pro5 (since the cars come from Japan and I heard stuff before about only able to order what's at the port).

If I want a specific option/colour combination how early in advance should I order the car to ensure I get it? Reason I'm asking - Mazda3.
    I don't know a specific answer to your question, but I am sure Mazda's allocation rule (mentioned on the '6 board) still applies.
    I was just cruising the Canadian Mazda website, and noticed that Mazda is now offering a customer loyalty incentive.

"Retail Financing
    Mazda Owner Appreciation Program: The Mazda Owner Appreciation Program presents qualifying customers with a 0.25% rate reduction towards the purchase of any new or non-registered demonstrator vehicle. Please contact your local Mazda Dealership for details.

Leasing
    Mazda Re-Lease Rate: The Mazda Re-Lease Rate Program presents qualifying customers with a 0.50% rate reduction towards the lease of any new or non-registered demonstrator vehicle. Please contact your local Mazda Dealership for details."

http://www.mazda.ca/english/38220.htm
    Just got back from Chicago, the Protege performed very well. I averaged 32 mpg doing between 80-85 the whole way.

When I was down there, I saw a guy wrap his new BMW 3 series around a light pole at about 4:30 in the morning. I was in a cab and the guy flew off the road into a pole and got stuck in the ditch. The cabbie pulled over to offer help. The guy in the BMW got out and he looked crazy. He kept sniffing, his eyes were wide open and his nose was red. The cab driver though the guy might have been tired. I have a feeling the guy was wide awake. The guy was on something and I told the cabbie to just leave him.
    But I still love my Pro. In fact, I'm getting a new air intake for him today! A fellow Mazda lover that is getting an RX-8 is getting rid of his ES 2.0 and wanted another Protege afficianado to have the intake before he sold it.

Not expecting huge gains w/ the intake, but man does it sound great.
    Cooky.
    Mysterious and Spooky?

At least I got you to post something.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    :)

The weather is too nice to be stuck in a dark cubicle today. Time to head out.
    They'd clear the gravel off of the roads. Pretty scary trying to corner hard when you're going over that stuff.

This warm weather we've been having is definitely zoom-zoom inducing though. My foot seems to have become more lead-like.
    Can agree with that. It's been 70+ here since Thursday of last week... :)
    Saw one yesterday at a local MD dealer, $3000 dealer mark-up. I guess it will be sitting there for awhile with this economy...
    That's ridiculous. What colour? If I were in the market for an MSP, I'd wait for the refresh.
    Black.