Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    How much coolant did you add over how much time?

Any funny smells or unexplained fogging of the windows with the heater or defroster on?

Any performance issues with the engine (roughness, running hotter than normal, etc.)?

How old is your car again? How many miles?

Sorry for all the questions. I'll be listening to Car Talk for your call to Tom and Ray. ;-)
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I had that happen on my 2000 Jetta. Turned out to be a bad water pump.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Darren: 2000 ES; 22,945 miles.

How much coolant did I add?

Well, at the risk of ridicule, when there was a trace of coolant left in the reservoir, I added enough to bring the level to the top of the letters that say "LOW."

After a couple of days it went back down to slightly below the letters, I brought it back up, and now it's below the letters again. (Maybe a difference of an inch or two?)

Temperature: Temp gauge is normal (slightly below nine o'clock).

Engine: Slightly sluggish in spots (AT), although it's been damp here, I haven't had the spark plugs or wires checked, etc.

Smells/fogging: none
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    But that was after I had the dealership service the cooling system. I think some air bubbles got trapped and they had to work their way out of the system as I had to keep topping off the overflow reservoir for several weeks afterwards. Maybe this is what's happened to your Pro.

But check for:

sweet-smelling exhaust
    cloudy (milky) oil (bad...must get fixed ASAP)
    droplets of coolant where you parked
    any greenish fluid pooling in your engine bay
    whitish "puffy" deposits on your radiator (or anywhere else in the cooling system)
    My cooling system has never been serviced, so I'm not sure how air bubbles would have been introduced, but I suppose it's possible.

I haven't noticed coolant under the car or anywhere in the engine bay. I don't think there's anything on the radiator, but I'll check again.

Check the oil?!? Are you mad?!?

Sigh. Cars are too complicated.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I try to give cats a little ethylene glycol every now and then.
    Well, it's still under the 36000 miles of its warranty, but is it under the 3 years? If so, I'd take it to the dealer as soon as possible before that warranty runs out.

I was hoping you'd say you either found pools of coolant on the ground indicating a coolant line or radiator leak, or smelled it from the vents indicating a heater core leak. Most of the other major alternatives aren't pretty, but it doesn't sound like you have any drivability problems that typically go with a blown head gasket, cracked head, etc. See any bluish smoke coming out the tail pipe?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Dale usually has lots of smoke coming out of her tailpipe. Just a guess though.
    It's still in warranty right? If it continues, take it to the dealer and let them know how much and how often you have been adding coolant. Suggest they do a pressure test on the cooling system which will show any leaks and make visible the external ones.

Take Chowchi's advice and open the oil filler cap, checking the underside for a pale chocolate pudding (you'll know you have it if it's there). After feeding it to the cat, get your Protege down to the shop for a new head gasket.
    You might want to add a disclaimer onto that comment about the ethylene glycol. That stuff is instant death for cats. But thank you for suggesting the diagnostic at the dealership.

Darren...took delivery on 01/13/01, so yes, I'm still under warranty.

No blue or white exhaust.

My original question still stands, gentlemen:

Should I try adding that sealer/sealant stuff to the radiator?

Mike: No, you.
    I wouldn't have said it if I didn't know that... :-)

NO
    Roger.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    they walk all over and scratch my cars. A little ethylene glycol cat food does wonders for your neighborhood cat population.

Disclaimer:I love indoor cats though. I've had mine for 6 years now and she's only been in the dryer once.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    u mean u actually opened up the hood and checked the coolant level?

Amazing :)
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    They might be able to fix it circumventing the need for any of that stop leak stuff.

I'm shocked nobody jumped on the fogging windows comment. You folks are loosing your touch.
    Chikoo: Don't tell the others, but I actually wasn't checking the coolant; I popped the hood to add more washer fluid.

Darren: "fogging windows".....ha ha ha ha ha ha.......
    Please!
    Joking about what?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    "I've had mine for 6 years now and she's only been in the dryer once."

Umm gee, we need to talk later.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Malt ... That wasn't even remotely funny. Shame on you.

Darren ... Our warranties are 50,000 miles, not 36,000. I'm surprised no one corrected you before now.

Meade
    I don't know why you posted here; this is the sedans discussion. Your post belongs in the "problems/solutions" discussion.

Keep up. :D

Anyway ... Why are you worrying about it? The car's under warranty. I'll echo others here. Take the freakin' thing in and let THEM worry about it!

Meade

P.S. Go ahead and ship the contents of your next litter-box change to Maltbarley. I'll do the same. Actually maybe I'll make a personal visit and leave them in a flaming bag on his porch.
    Mazda's standard warranty was 3 years/50,000 miles bumper to bumper until mid-2001 when it changed to 4 years/50,000 miles.

My 1992 LX had the same 3 year, 50,000-mile warranty. The fact that it's 50,000 miles made me a Mazda owner in the first place, beating Toyota and Honda who offer only 3/36K.

You bought a car and you don't know how long the warranty lasts? My message to you, O One Who Tells Others to Keep Up, is to read the manual. (The warranty manual in this case ... it's the thinner one in your owner's folder ... unless of course the car wash water damage has rendered it unreadable.)

Meade

P.S. I guess you must've really been wondering why Larry and I, as well as a few others, were counting down to 50,000 miles so painstakingly ...
    Yep, before I left for work, I actually opened up the manual and looked for the warranty info.

And then dug around and found the thinner warranty brochure, and there it was, in black and white, 36 months/50K.

Also checked that oil filler cap thingy (after again consulting the manual--the big one this time), and didn't see any light brown icky stuff, so I guess my head gasket is okay for the time being.

Thanks again for all your replies, folks...I'll let you know what happens.
    ... until after 6 years/100,000 miles ...

:D
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    How much was that warranty if I may ask and what's your deductible on it?
    Malt ... That wasn't even remotely funny. Shame on you.

I understand not everyone will find it funny, but as long as it works for a couple of peeps, I'm ok with that.
    Some people think of their pets as their children. What would you say to a post about poisioning one of your kids?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Just drop it already.

My Protege is doing great. Really needs a wash to get all that salt/grime off though. As long as it stays nice this weekend, I'll be doing a total spring cleaning of him; wash, clay bar, wax, vacuum interior, etc.
    Anybody else here besides me, possibly Paul, and Hank signed up for a Mazdarevitup event?

Malt, you going to Irvine this weekend?
    I know what you mean about needing a wash. I haven't done that in so long, I probably forgot how.. :)

It's been raining here in MD since Monday and will be raining until Saturday, according to the weather. I am going to install my new wheels this weekend, but I won't be able to wash the car. :(
    and I remember pet rocks too.

If Meade equates his feline friend to his flesh and blood, I'd say it's time for some meds.
    I hope to be there bright and early sunday morning. After all, can anything be more holy than the smell of burnt rubber?
    Actually it was fall 2003 when the warranty changed from 3/50 to 4/50. My 2003 P5's owner's manual lists 3/50 as the warranty period. I asked when we purchased it if the warranty was actually 4/50. I was given a sticker with the 4/50 info and later received a new warranty guide in the mail. Just so all those with 2001, 2002, and early 2003 Mazdas aren't confused.
    CR tested the Mazda6 this month, and still listed the warranty as 3/50. I was shocked, because I thought it changed to 4/50 as well.
    I believe someone said "drop it." We all have accepted the fact that there's no place in your heart for animals.

And Paul doesn't speak for me. Would you let him speak for YOU?
    "It WAS fall 2003?"

What time zone are you living in???

Meade
    Another day on the Protege Board.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Don't feel bad. The silent majority is on your side.

Mark. :)
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Lke I said I have a pet feline and love her to death. But I will aim with glee at stray cats. I hate em.
    OK. THAT was a typo. Fall 2002 is what I meant to write. I suppose that it what I get for trying to correct the Meadeball.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ...this stuff about feeding ethylene glycol - which is clearly a poison - to cats is not really on topic, nor something we need to be playing around with. You never know when someone might misinterpret a message that is meant to be tongue in cheek.

Let's just keep to the cars, okay? Poisoning/killing animals is not an issue that we need to get into whether we are joking or not.

Thanks.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    In Chicago, same group as Dale.

I'm thinking of signing up for Sunday too. Think they'd let me go twice?

CR also mis-stated that the 6's V6 is supplied by Ford, while only the engine block is (the rest is all-new, designed by Mazda).

Man, my Pro loves this spring weather. Not too hot, not too cold. And now that they've closed the overpass I usually take to work, I've discovered another back road with a fun s-curve on a hill. I usually dust whoever's on my tail through that (of course, they just stomp on their accelerator on the straightaway afterwards and catch up). :)
    ... about my brakes and tires. While the brakes aren't showing any outward sign of wear (like screeching wear indicators), I just know they're not going to pass state inspection next month with 53,500 miles on them. But my tires are down to their treadwear indicators and I know they won't pass. And here in Virginia, if you get a rejection sticker, you only have 10 days to correct the situation and get the car reinspected. So I guess I'd better start biting that bullet and be proactive here.

I see Meineke's running a $29.95/axle lifetime brake deal right now. Hmmm.

And to answer the inevitable question before it's asked, my choices are:

(1) Yokohama AVID T4s or V4s from TireRack
    (2) BFG Touring VR4s from Costco (what Larry's got)

While I have more confidence in the Yokos, I might just go the Costco route because of their excellent service and no hassles if I have any problems. Plus they're three miles away and not three states away.

But I am certain of one thing ... once I get those new tires installed, I'm getting a by-gosh four-wheel alignment at the best alignment shop I can find!

Meade
    $29.95 for lifetime brakes?!? That's sounds like a good deal. I got pads from Meineke awhile back for one of the Bonnevilles, and they screached like crazy though. Something you might wanna think about.

Here's a thought though: Why not just try to get inspected with the brakes, and take them over a weekend and get them replaced if you have to? If you fail inspection, do you have to pay the second time for it? These are the kind of things that make me glad MD only does emissions (and every 2 years at that) and no yearly inspection. I kinda wish sometimes they would do inspections, unless I was in a situation like that. :)
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    29.95 lifetime warranty on brakes is a joke. It only covers the pads (and shoes) which are cheap. You'll still have to pay to fix calipers, resurface rotors, etc. Basically, by charging you 29.95 for pads/shoes per axle, they are ripping you off. You could probably buy the pads/shoes for less than half that price. It's just a clever way for them to get you to come into their shop whenever you need brakes and whatever else they can sell you.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    As posted on the Posse board, I finished my exams (hence my absence - much to Pat's chagrin I assume:)).

The PRO's doing great.

Getting the 2.0 TSB done this Friday. Went in last Friday after getting a call from my dealer saying the part's in and they started giving me the run around how they have to check the car first, if it REALLY needs it (adding that maybe I'll have to call Mazda Canada to get it approved), and the like.

So after expressing my dissapointment and anger at how this issue is being handled (jn a polite manner of course), they promptly agreed that yes, my car NEEDS the TSB to be done and that it would be their pleasure to do it then.

So after waiting 1 hr for them to make up their mind if they were going to fix it or not, I booked tomorow 7.30AM.

Will keep you posted. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

BTW, just passed 56.000kms this week. Smooth as ever. Still a blast to drive.

Dinu
    29.95? definitely too good to be true. Let us know what the real estimate is after they put your Pro on the rack. My guess is 2 new calipers, 1 bearing and some other miscellaneous stuff costing you $245 for the front brakes.

Keep us posted.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "My guess is 2 new calipers"

Really? Are you saying that because the Protege's calipers usually need replacement at Meade's mileage, or that the Meineke guys are going to be full of crap?