Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Forgot to add, it may be ok for a few hundred dollar tv but not a 30,000 vehicle. I know I will now get flamed from a lot of people who have had no problems but then again........
  • kalajiankalajian Member Posts: 43
    According to the website, you only pay $50.00. The shop calls the warranty company, confirms coverage, and direct bills the warranty company. Your only out of pocket is $50.00. I don't know from firsthand experience, I'm still waiting for my Oddy to arrive...
  • cars4salecars4sale Member Posts: 1
    Yes you will wait for your van, but at msrp and a pleasent buying experience is worth it. And really all Honda's are worth the price. I've found a dealer with both. In southern CA. Contact me about my dealer and salesperson. He's the most knowledgeable salesmen offering honda's that I've found. Shopping can still be FUN!
  • chip28chip28 Member Posts: 11
    I have about 4 weeks to go to receive our Ody. I called David Winnie at Upstate Honda (NY). His # is on a post about 50 or so back. But go to the Honda Odyssey search page (70 links). Look for "Honda Odyssey related topics and tips". There are four dealers listed that offer the genuine Hondacare wty. (7yr./$0 ded./100k mile) at the low price. David Winnie quoted me on the phone $895. Remember no state tax if outside NY if you go with David. Yes it is the real deal. I still am contemplating buying it. With an EX on the way and the questions surrounding the power doors, I'd like to know from other wty. holders if the wty. is worthwhile. Plan to keep Ody. long-term. Hope I helped!
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    We just received our December allocation for 2001's. I was totally shocked at the speed that these cars were sold. 15 were sold in less than 30 minutes. All were sold at MSRP with no add ons. If you are in the Baltimore area, let me know if you want an Odyssey.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Just a friendly reminder that according to the Townhall Participant Agreement that all members have agreed to, solicitation is not permitted. If anyone is unclear as to the rules of Townhall, please take the time to review the agreement once again.

Any inside scoups as far as info goes are most appreciated though! :-)

Thanks!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • ohiomom2ohiomom2 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy an 2001 LX. I have seen a couple posts indicating the ability to get below MSRP on Honda Odysseys at dealerships in Ohio. Could those people let me know what dealerships they dealt with and with whom they dealt.

Also, if anyone else has bought an Odyssey in Ohio what prices did you get and what was your experience. Wait time?
  • chip30chip30 Member Posts: 11
    I posted this question about 20 or so posts back.

Does Honda provide its dealers with one mass build date per month's allocation?

I went by my dealer this past weekend. They had been given a build date for their October allocation (Oct. 14th by the way). Seems to me that since Honda is building Odys daily, a dealer's monthly allocation would be built throughout the month not just one day.

As is, we'll see our GG EX in late October (hopefully). Please give some insight as to how dealers receive their Odys. I've been told by my dealer and others that Odys can come in most any day of the month. Sorry for ramble!
  • gideon4gideon4 Member Posts: 1
    I am picking up my 2001 EX today (yippeee)! Anyone with info on extended warranties? I am interested in knowing what should be paid and who it should, or should not, be through (ie. Honda or a 3rd party carrier). Thanks to all who respond.
  • binkybarnesbinkybarnes Member Posts: 69
    imho, the genuine hondacare warranty is the only one to consider. it is zero deductible, good at any honda dealer, includes road service (like AAA), and includes most things that could go wrong (other warranties only tell you what is included...the hondacare warranty tells you EVERYTHING is covered except a few things.

you can order it from a few honda dealers for $895. i told this to the guy when we bought ours and he offered to sell it to me for $985...i took it to save having to take the extra steps of getting it later.
  • jimbo71jimbo71 Member Posts: 2
    Thought I would give a little back to the folks I've gotten so much from.

I took delivery of my '01 LX on Saturday. I paid:

- $750 under MSRP
    - $343 for the security system installed ($593 MSRP)
    - Free mud flaps and leather wrapped steering wheel cover
    - $835 for the 7/100/0 HondaCare Warranty

I bought it from Hatfield Honda in Maumee, Ohio {just south of Toledo). The salesman was Don Towle. Couldn't have asked for more from Don. Very professional, delivered vehicle as promised, etc. Build date was 9/14, it was shipped 9/15 and arrived at the dealership 9/20. Don also gave me a fair price for my trade-in.

Regarding leather: Hatfield Honda typically goes through a place that uses Katzkin. Based on feedback from others at Edmunds, I was skeptical of the quality of Katzkin (note that I have NOT seen it firsthand).

I had checked at local dealerships (in the Cincinnati area) and all were charging $2500 for Classic Softtrim at a Cincy-based installer. I called the installer directly, told them I had just arrived in the area, and asked for a quote. They said they couldn't breech their agreements with the local dealerships by giving me dealer pricing, but would be happy to do it at FULL RETAIL PRICE of $1799 (nice local dealers, huh?).

To make a long story short, I ended up having Don call them directly, and tell them he had a Cincy-based customer interested in the leather package. Don agreed to pass his savings directly to me. Total cost: $1199. I still haven't decided whether or not to get the leather, but it's awfully tempting at that price. I'm glad the local dealers found a way to gouge the consumer, since they aren't making much money by selling the Odyssey's at MSRP...

(BTW, Don will put on any accessories/options at his cost.)
  • lvc2lvc2 Member Posts: 4
    Not sure how much help this is but I purchased a Starlight Silver 2001 LX in Evansville IN at DPatrick Motorplex on 9/15/00 for $800 below MSRP. Our salesmans name was Stephen Schweikarth. First name pronounced Steven; luckily he is the only Stephen there so you need not ask for him by his full name. Evansville is in the far Southwestern corner of the state. I live in Tulsa OK so I flew into Evanville via American Eagle (believe United flies there also) & Stephen picked me up at the airport in my Ody. If you want more info let me know. I will be happy to share what I know. Good luck.
    jimbo71- Can you give us the phone # of your dealer? $835 for the Hondacare wty. is a great deal! If you can't that, I guess that is what 411 is for.

binkybarnes- Hope you are enjoying your Ody. I am living vicariously thru new recipients of this high demand van. 4 weeks to go! I'm wondering if I can purchase Hondacare wty. after purchase for same price. I did not ask the dealers yet if this is true. My wife needs convincing that the wty. is a smart buy, and maybe I do too. Reply appreciated from everyone.
  • mrcarpool2mrcarpool2 Member Posts: 1
    Okay cars4sale, you wrote yesterday (9/27) that you had a dealer in Socal to recommend. I am in NorCal but if I can actually get one in SoCal for MSRP it would be worth the trip down to your neck of the woods to get one. Thanks, you can e-mail me at toddiwe@pacbell.net
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    We received our allocation at the end of the month. This was for deliveries in December. They do not provide anything other than colors, and models. Vins will start arriving about 30 days before delivery date, this is the date when the product is actually made. When we receive the Vin, then we can get the paperwork started.

Good luck.
  • ohiomom2ohiomom2 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick response. I will check into both of these dealer.

BTW how did you locate these dealers. What was your actual wait time to get the vehicle. What do you think of the Starlight Silver color.

LVC2 - did you add any options and what was the price. I would like to add keyless remote but that is all.

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Perry Motors in Bishop, CA sells at or $500 below msrp. Talk to Jerry.
  • klyuklyu Member Posts: 1
    Like the new Ody for its 7 shoulder belts and captain's chair in the middle row. We have two kids and like to put both of them in booster seats in the 2nd row seats. Our 95 Toy Previa 2nd row bench seat has only one shoulder belt. So we put them in the less desirable 3rd row and the booster seats tend to tip over while making turns. Put a deposit with greenlight.com 4 weeks ago on a 2000 model for $50 over MSRP with 4-6 month wait. They cancelled my order last week saying no more 2000 model is available and I will have to start the whole process again with the 2001 model. Carsdirect.com was quoting $1800 over MSRP. Referred to Metro Honda in S. Cal. by cars.com. Internet manager (Yvonne Mason - nice gal) tells me they sell at MSRP with no mandatory options. They don't need a deposit and will call when van is coming. I got two calls from them in the last two months. The first time they left a message at my office but the van was sold when I called the next morning. The second time I was on vacation. I called Yvonne two weeks ago was told to go down to the dealer to start the preliminary paper work. Filled out the paper work (credit check) and was given a vin# on a 2001 SS EX, without putting down any deposit. The actual price was $95 over the MSRP plus $45 doc fee. I wasn't going to argue over the $95 since the other two local dealers (Sierra and Norm Reeves) wanted $1500 to $2000 of mandatory/useless options. Got a call from them on Tuesday afternoon and picked up the van that evening. They offered me only $9100 for my 95 Previa with 42K miles. Sold it to a Toyota dealer for $10K.
  • kokonutkokonut Member Posts: 8
    I was told by Jeff at Perry Motors in Bishop, CA that they get one Odyssey per month. Even though they sell at $500 under MSRP, it will be a long time before they go through their list of people who have put down deposits.
  • binkybarnesbinkybarnes Member Posts: 69
    chip, we are loving the ody! everytime we have to go somewhere, our dd asks if we can take the van. even when it is just parked in the garage, she asks if she can go play inside the van (she likes to dance in the back with the magic seat folded).
    anyway, i NEVER buy extended warranties...i'm a real skeptic of them in general. HOWEVER, buying the hondacare warranty was a no-brainer for me. 99.99 percent of the time, we will be opening the sliding doors with the power motors...they're gonna get a lot of use. i'm sure they would be REAL expensive to fix. plus, the plastic radiator honda uses now seem to crack after 4 or 5 years and that's about a $400 repair. plus, it includes roadside assistance (great if you don't have AAA). our dealer told us that, if you purchased the warranty afterwards, they need to somehow certify the mileage on the vehicle at the time.
  • efulmerefulmer Member Posts: 2
    Kevin- You're welcome. I'm glad you had a good experience at Bryan. I got so much great information from this forum, so I'm glad to be able to provide soem to someone else.

klyu - We also have a '95 Previa but ours has 130k miles, and it's STILL not quite paid off! Our '01 Ody EX is now our OTHER minivan, we're keeping the Previa until it dies (great van, and one of the most reliable vehicles of any kind according to Consumer Reports).

-E.
  • filemanfileman Member Posts: 1
    Picked up our 2001 EX (silver) yesterday. Sticker was $26,840 + $995 dealer added package. Paid $26,000 + tax + license and $289.40 dealer fees. Dealer was Sam Swope Honda World,in Louisville, Kentucky. They tried for more but I tried harder. They quoted 7 year/100K mile/0 deductible @ $1,000. From what I've been reading I will tell them I am interested @ no more than $895.
  • glenncauvilglenncauvil Member Posts: 1
    Some of the previous posts name Hatfield Honda in the Toledo area as well as Rick Case, MotorCars and Ganley in Cleveland. Some of the Cleveland deals tend to float up & down a bit from week to week - I've gotten quotes from msrp to at least $500 under, and observed posted deals as low as $1200 under. Check 'em out...
  • lvc2lvc2 Member Posts: 4
    I found out about DPatrick from someone that posted a message here singing their praises.
    We only wanted floormats & they are now standard (at least on the '01 LX). I did inquire as to DPatricks prices on a couple of options and was not impressed but I didn't try to negotiate the prices they quoted either. Instead of the remote keyless from Honda for about $300 I am going to have a complete Alpine alarm system installed for about the same money. I also plan to install the leather steering wheel cover myself & have the windows tinted. Like I said the option prices were high from DPat but they were VERY no pressure about everything. I believe their current waiting list is November (may be December by now). Please let me know if I can help. Good luck & happy hunting.
  • wakbeigelwakbeigel Member Posts: 9
    I live in the Dayton, OH area.

Requested quotes from Autobytel, Autoweb, and Autovantage on an '01 ODY LX. I was quoted $400 under MSRP by all of them. Things changes when I requested dealer add-ons (roof-rack, CD player, Keyless entry). Autobytel's affiliate dealer (in the Cincinnati area) quoted me $24,800 for all (+ tax/title). Destination charge was included in the price. Autovantage's affiliate (also in Cincinnati)came in $85 higher, and Autoweb's affiliate (in Dayton) would not go below $25,000.

I am going with the Autobytel deal. They also took my deposit via credit card so that I wouldn't have to drive down there. Expect delivery in mid/late October.
  • jwhitaker1jwhitaker1 Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading several Odyssey forums for the past several weeks and now it is time to give back something.

I live in CobbCounty Georgia. It is a county located just north of Atlanta. We started looking for a new car when our '93 Grand Voyager SE had a steering overhaul. I swore it was the last money I would put into the van. In fact we are now driving without a spare since the flat we had last week can't be fixed. We looked at SUV's and vans. We ruled out the SUV's since the return on the dollar investment was poor. Not only resale, but also mileage and repairs. We are not thrilled with driving a van for another 6-8 years, but price and space are a definite consideration. We test-drove the 2001 Grand Caravan, Sienna, and Odyssey. Having decided on the Odyssey it was time to get a price which is the main thrust of this message.

We learned from this and other forums that MSRP was about as low as we could expect (with the exception of some very lucky folks) and went looking with this in mind. We received the following quotes. We hope this helps those of you still looking. The prices are for a SS Ex w/leather.

Carey Paul Honda $30,240
    Ed Voyles $30,180
    Hennessey $29,952 --there was one for sale on the lot
    Nalley $29,755
    Honda Carland $29,735
    Boomershine $28,840--yes list for the car & $2,000 for the leather.

Boomershine is located in Cartersville about 45 minutes north of us, but for MSRP it is worth the drive. Anyway I wasted 4 hours today so 45 minutes away is nothing. I talked with Byron who told me over the phone that their price was MSRP and none of the BS add-on costs of the dealers closer to Atlanta. I told the dealers I visited in person that I didn't want any of their extra packages and they said they only sold the cars with them "so we can make more profit".
  • nextvannextvan Member Posts: 6
    I drove a '01 Ex today. Dealer quoted invoice - $26,840 plus $199 for a paint sealer put on by the dealer. After talking with the salesman, it seems the paint sealer is a type of wax. He says it is a must to protect the clear coat on the car. Is this a lot of bunk? I can do a lot of waxing on the van for $199. Any thoughts appreciated.
  • malarchymalarchy Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

Vowed not to come back so soon, and leave things as they are for now. Started my search again! From the looks of the latest posts, "Could the Odyssey market be losening up a little." The NYC area are quoting them at $26,840 and back on the dreaded waiting list, with a $500.00 deposit for 4 or 6 or 12 weeks. Unless of course you want to pay $1000.00 above MSRP and drive it home immediately, as stated from a dealer in Queens, NY. Of course for the 2001 EX. Tryin to wait it out just a little longer.

Anybody out there shoppin for the Ody 2001 EX in the NYC Tristate area? Any advice for a Brooklyn, NY family? Haven't give up hope yet.
    Still searchin.
  • klwsklws Member Posts: 7
    Chip30:

Sorry for the slow response.

Regarding my deposit at LaPointe, they gave it back to me with no problems. The salesman I was dealing with, Ernest Wood, didn't seem to mind at all, to my surprise.

I have worked with him in the past, bought a 99 Accord V6 from him and found him to be very reasonable. Also, I called him before taking the Bryan offer just to let him know I had a deal in the works with a better timeframe.

Good luck with Hendrick. I would guess that if you argue it enough, you should get your deposit back. Especially if their timeframe has been extended since when you put the deposit down.
  • marcus15marcus15 Member Posts: 3
    If anyone does not feel like waiting for a '01 Odyssey EX, or go through dealer mandated add-on costs, we have a pristine white one for sale at MSRP with fern interior plus upgraded leather, crossbars, michelin tires.
    IMMEDIATELY email marcus15 in Miami, FL. because it will probably be gone this week.
    My wife had a change of heart and we will part with it for the price we paid yesterday Sept 30th.
    It has the mileage we arrived in our garage with
    (105 miles) and will not be moved until the buyer arrives
  • shaganastyshaganasty Member Posts: 23
    If you were only like 2700 miles closer, I'd jump on it.
    Oh well, we will keep on waiting.
  • baccus1baccus1 Member Posts: 5
    The dealer we are working with tells us it will cost $1800. Is this too pricey?
  • marcus15marcus15 Member Posts: 3
    Find out where your dealer shops it out to. Then call them and ask them for an estimate for your (honda) van.
    You'll be surprised. If not, shop other shops then have it done at your convenience. It takes a couple of days.
    We got a great deal before taking ownership because our dealer in Ft. Lauderdale was not out to make a killing.
    Just paid $1300 in Mich for Classic Leather, all seats and doors. Classic is supposed to be the best. I agree, its beautiful.
    Most shops have agreements not to charge less then the dealer (under cut) because the dealer will take his business elsewhere.
    Seeing as it is Oct. 1 and our Ody is being built on Oct. 14, we will stick it out. Boy, Bryan Honda in Fayetteville is an Ody oasis compared with the big city. Others reading this and still on the ODY "bubble", CALL them. They are in Fayetteville, NC. MSRP and little if any wait! Too bad I called them AFTER Hendrick. I signed a sale order that clearly says "non-refundable" and that is my mistake.
    With about three weeks to go, the pain is fading.
    Thanks and I wish you all the best with your new Ody!
  • needavanincanneedavanincan Member Posts: 1
    This has also been posted under the General Odyssey page.
    I am very interested in what price is being paid for Odysseys in Canada. I find it hard to believe that the MSRP or close to it is the best that dealers are willing to go in Canada. While I have yet to enter into serious negotiations with a dealer, the best that I have been quoted is $31,000 which included the freight and PDI for a 2001 LX. I recall reading a post a few months back from a fellow Canadian that paid significantly less than MSRP. Unlike the US market, all dealers I have contacted lately seem to have 2 or more units on the lot, so availability is not as big of an issue. In Canada, you must pay a third party to get ahold of the dealer cost, and I have not done this yet because I am unsure if it would help in negotiations. Both LX and EX pricing information would be appreciated.
  • redondaheadredondahead Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone suggest a good(fair) dealership to deal with on an Odyssey in the Memphis, TN area or within a 200 mile radius(Little Rock, AR Jackson, MS Nashville, TN)? We are starting to look and could use some leads.

Thanks, bigtime!
    Why when checking the Honda site there is no upstate Honda in NY. The number belongs to Saratoga Honda in Saratoga Springs, NY.
  • acctc2acctc2 Member Posts: 1
    HI,

We just picked up a 2001 from BayRidge Honda in Brooklyn, NY. We paid list price (no mandatory addons) and we waiting since July. Could have gotten it sooner if color didn't matter.

Our salesman was Igor and he was very helpful.

We also went to Plaza Honda, but they wanted over MSRP.
  • redondaheadredondahead Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the quick response. Am originally from Clinton, MS. Will check into it on my next trip down.
    If anyone knows of any in the immediate Memphis area that would be ideal! I have a lead on one, and will accept all the tips I can get.

Thanks again!
  • srcd00srcd00 Member Posts: 2
    I am very interested in the '01 Ody EX but have been very discouraged with the pricing I am finding. On Saturday I was looking at the new Silver EX model with the standard features/options. Long Beach Honda was posting MSRP $26,840 plus an additional $2,000 mark-up!! From what I've seen the invoice is 24K +/-. Is it possible to buy at invoice? I hear people buying cars all the time for invoice. Is the 2K upcharge too high or is this standard. They told me the upcharge was because they were in hot demand, they even said if I didn't buy this week-end (last day of Sept) the upcharge was probably going up to 3K next month. Should I be paying standard MSRP (26,840)? Anybody in LA or Orange county bought lately?
  • framos3framos3 Member Posts: 2
    All,

Just dropped off my 98 Gr Caravan for the 3rd time
    in 2 months for transmission work. This was the last straw. You would think I could get more than
    30k miles for a brand new transmission. Well that's the final straw.

I'm looking of an LX fast! Some of you folks mentioned Ohio was a good start. My local dealer in NJ quoted 27,400 for an EX Tags, Title, Destination Incl. The van would be delivered in Dec. Does anyone think I can do better?

Thanks,

Fred
  • framos3framos3 Member Posts: 2
    Help!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Based on info posted in the Ody forums, buying near invoice only happened to one person who was quoted wrong by dealer and only threat of legal action maintained the deal. So in answer to your question, I doubt you will find near invoice anywhere.

MSRP or above is the norm or the requirement of mandatory options. Some dealers in Cleveland going as far as $500 off but not certain of that number.

Your best bet is to go to this link:

www.honda2001.com/dealers/index.html

and start calling dealers. Maybe some of your CA compatriots can suggest dealers.
  • chip30chip30 Member Posts: 11
    I believe it was called Upstate Honda because of location (upstate NY). I've spoken w/ David using that #, so it is correct.
    PS: Try "Honda Odyssey Links" created by KarenS.
    Towards the bottom are several dealers listed w/ good deals on 7/0/100 Hondacare wty.--Chip
    I also bought from Upstate or whatever they call themselves. I just wondered why it was one name here and on the Honda site it's called another, even though they have same #
  • skyhookskyhook Member Posts: 1
    Look at posts 311 and 351 in the link below. They will give you a place to start looking for dealers selling Odyssey's at MSRP. That Long Beach dealer is representative of most of the dealers that I spoke with. There is a lot of price gouging and dealer greed going on around Southern California but it will continue until car buyers start walking away from these tactics. I called 45 dealers in Southern California so I got a good feel for the games being played. Check out the posts I referenced above in the following link below. Good Luck.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?a=r&c=Vans&t=1531
    Oxnard HOnda reportedly sells for MSRP. Vista Honda in Ventura sells for msrp, but adds on about $500 worth of options for which they charge $1300.00. Try Brandon Kimmell in Lancaster at Pioneer HOnda. He sells for msrp, will take a refundable deposit. I am on their waiting list, but haven't gotten my car yet. Also Bakersfield Honda reportedly sells for msrp. Kolbe Honda in Reseda sells for $1000 over msrp. First HOnda in Simi valley adds a bunch of REALLY expensive and overpriced options to their vehicles, raising the price to about $31,000. YOu just have to shop around, put down your deposit and wait it out.
  • ustinyustiny Member Posts: 6
    Fred, email me at ustiny@concentric.net. I can tell you wehre you can get a LX within 3-4 weeks at MSRP with no add-ons in the NY metro area.
  • wakbeigelwakbeigel Member Posts: 9
    framos3,

I live in Ohio (Dayton. Contact Autobytel, Autoweb,and/or Autovantage and ask for any major city in Ohio. Fly or drive out to pick it up. The dealers in our area get an allotment of about 30 per month, not all of them are spoken for. If you are flexible on color, you may be able to get one within 3 weeks, less if they can trade with another dealer for your color (don't ask for mesa beige). If you can't get it for less that MSRP, then you aren't trying hard enough (at least in Ohio). It is MUCH easier getting below MSRP if you use an internet broker (mentioned above).

Good luck, mine should be in in mid-October.