Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I've seen plugs in aluminum heads bring the threads right out with them. Heli-coils and thread-inserts are a PITA. I'm all for Todd's method and it works great for me.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    so the 'oem spec' gap for the Protege plugs are .044 right?

and you use the anti-seize on the threads, and the di-electric grease on the connector to the wires?

oh yeah, i'm using OEM NGK plugs, straight from the dealer ;-)
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    yes, yes, and yes.

psst...

you can get the same plugs at a parts store for a little bit cheaper.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    the standard-grade Bosch platinum-tip spark plugs deteriorate less on the exterior, as well as on the tip, of any plugs I have ever tried.
  • hollenhorst2hollenhorst2 Member Posts: 51
    Could anyone tell me if there are any current customer cash incentives available on the 2003 Protege ES? Thanks in advance.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    It's evident they weren't balanced correctly from the beginning since there are new (and larger) weights in different places than the first ones on the front wheels.

Man, all the difference in the world at 80 this morning.

LIKE BUTTAH!!!

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    And the multi-terminal Bosch. No help from what I can tell, and they caused my 323's engine to buck and cough. Put the 99-cent Champions back in and everything was fine. I stuck with OEM-spec NGKs in my Protege. I'll have to check the last time I changed them; might be time for new ones.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    heard that they give 10% increase in power ;)
    how many miles do you get?

Viz. you set the trip meter to zero when the fuel light comes on, fill it up and take the reading when the fuel light comes on once again.
    Set your trip odometer to zero after you fill up your car. Next time you fill up, take note of how many gallons you put in and divide your trip odometer reading by that number.

As you receive answers to your question about how many miles people are getting on a tankful, remember the P5s (and the '01 on Protege sedans too, maybe?) have larger gas tanks than the '99s and '00s.

My '00 ES 5-speed, with a mix of city and highway driving, usually goes about 310 to 320 miles between fill-ups. On an extended highway trip last weekend, I set a record and went 345 miles between fill-ups.

Meade
    It's on, again. Are you a Hockey fan?
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I'm pulling for the WILD!!! Minessota hockey fans are definitely the greatest these playoffs!

GO WILD GO!

Dinu

PS: The PRO is doing great BTW :)
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    My 2001 ES usually gets between 370 and 400 gallons per tank of gas. I know it has a 14.5 gallon tank and I usually get between 29-30 miles per gallon. It usually takes about 13 gallons when I fill it up.

Also, I can drive at least 50 miles after the low fuel light comes on. I think that it comes on when there is about 2 gallons of gas left in the tank.
    In the last year, MN teams are 0 for 2 against LA teams in the playoffs. We lost to the Angels in baseball and we lost to the Lakers in basketball. Hopefully, Minnesota's Hockey team won't lose to Disney's.
    I tend to think neither is the gas stations autoshutoff feature.
    Or is it?
    I have pumped half a gallon after the autoshutoff, and because of a fear of overflow, I stop.

So what should I believe?

Manavi, 400miles to a tankful?(how many gallons?)
    What is ur driving mix?
    Unfortunately, there is no easy, 100% accurate way to check your mileage but Meade's way is the best. Don't keep pumping gas when it shuts off, just let it shut off by itself and do it that way every time. The key is being consistant. An average of a bunch of tanks will give you a pretty good idea.
    I typically expect 360 miles per tank (12.5gal), but have pushed it as far as 400 before I get really nervous and start desperately seeking a fuel stop. If I'm going along a long empty stretch of highway, I try not to let it drop much below a half tank. I usually average 34mpg on the freeway.

I think my low fuel light comes on at a bit over 2 gals left. I don't want to overheat the pump though, so I usually don't let it get to this point.

You'll find the autoshutoff at pumps vary by the pump. I've actually had one that was too insensitive and spit out some fuel. Nasty poorly maintained pump at some run-down station. I avoided that stop on the return trip. I try to listen at the fuel inlet for sounds of fuel gurgling up into the inlet pipe. When the frequency goes up, I ease off the trigger, which gives the autoshutoff (I think most work by sensing a change in air pressure due to the outlet tip being "under water") more reaction time. I probably look awful silly with my head down by the fuel door, but I don't want to repeat the spilled fuel fiasco. I'd rather underfill than overfill my tank so I don't saturate the charcoal canister.
    1. get to your regular gas station.
    2. Fill up the gas till it auto shuts off
    3. Reset the trip odo to 0.00
    4. Start driving
    5. Head to your regular gas station once more
    6. Fill up the tank again. Note the gallons that it took in before autoshutoff.
    7. Divide the trip odo reading with the numbers of gallons it took in.

Voila! you have ur mileage

8.Repeat steps 1 thru 7 for 5 times to get a good average of the mileage(????)

Right?

Note: isn't the term "mileage" supposed to represent an average reading in the first place?
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    I would estimate my driving is 75% highway / 25% city. Of course, there is usually stop and go rush hour traffic on the highway anyways.

I get around 29 or 30 miles per gallon. It usually takes about 13 gallons when I fill up. Hence, 400 miles per tank is not unusual. Just depends how close I am to one of the gas stations in town that has cheap gas.

Also, I can put at least one more gallon of gas into the tank after the auto-shutoff. I've overflowed twice in 2 years. Oops! But, I like being able to drive as far as possible without having to stop again to put gas.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    And MN was shocked in Sept by a team that earlier in the season had no chance. I think this might just be the "year" for Anaheim. The Lakers are the Lakers...what can be said there? I don't wanna hear from any San Antonio fans. :-(

Of course, the real winner here is the Protege! (whew, I worked it in).

Now where is that rally duck?
    Neither the Ducks or the Wild were supposed to be good this year or in the playoffs. IIRC, MN was the 7th seed and Anaheim was the 8th. SI picked the Wild to be 28th this year. Who would've though they'd be playing in the Western finals? I think it's about time MN got playoff revenge against LA teams. The "State of Hockey" needs to win big against Disney.

ps
    Did you get my e-mail?
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    If you dont use your AC and keep it around 60mph with the cruise on its easy to get 33mpg on summer fuel even with the auto. Its a little lower on the winter O2 enriched stuff. At best in the winter I get 30mpg. Driving like I normally do with my 80% highway off hours commute I get about 29mpg summer 27mpg winter. Thats with a "liberal" 60-75mph.

I did notice that if you use your AC a lot and drive around 85mph you get closer to 22mpg.
    There's a 240 hp @ 7800 rpm Protege in the new Car and Driver.
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    I average 28 mpg with a 50/50 highway/city driving mix with the air on almost all the time (it's hot down in FL). During the winter with the AC mostly off, it was closer to 30 mpg. I usually fill up at the 1/4 mark (usually between 280-290 miles) and take about 10 gallons + or - to fill up. I have an 02 LX automatic.
    Talk about heavily modified. C&D did say it was the most smokin' Protege they've driven. Chassis is probably a bit harsh for everyday, though it'd be fun to take on a track like Laguna Seca. Funny, I thought the IS300 looked like another Protege in the top-view group shot. Oops.

I average 28-29mpg on 70/30 city/hwy driving, unless I'm feeling frisky and accelerate hard. Then I manage to make it dip to 24-26mpg. :P
    the Speed World Challenge Touring Car Proteges?

those things are complete badass!!!
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I don't know about the plutonium plugs, but the depleted uranium plugs will spontaneously combust and burn right through the tops of the pistons, the crank, and the oil pan, leaving a radioactive powder with half-life of 4 billion years. This is bad for the proteges resale value, as well as the future of the planet.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    1.get to your regular gas station.
    2. Fill up the gas till it auto shuts off
    3. Reset the trip odo to 0.00
    4. Start driving
    5. Head to your regular gas station once more AND
    to the same pump. Pumps can vary at the same station.
    6. Fill up the tank again. Note the gallons that it took in before autoshutoff.
    7. Divide the trip odo reading with the numbers of gallons it took in.

Voila! you have ur mileage!

The only long trip I took in my 01 Pro LX, last year, I got 36mpg. The roundtrip mileage was 427. Most of the highways were through hilly and mountainous country with some driving over rolling hill country in Central Virginia.

For those driving in mountainous country for the first time, one of the best routes is U.S.220 from Roanoke, Virginia to the North Carolina state line. It's four lane with roller coaster dips and sweaping curves. Traveling north on 220 there is one hill, which gives you a panaramic view of the mountains 30 miles away, just before you plunge down a straight stretch for 3/4ths of a mile with a 90-degree right turn at the bottom. Lots of flashing lights warning truckers to slow down and torn up median grass where many did not.

The Pro takes 220 like it's on rails.

Hank: Did you see C&D TV on TNN this afternoon? They showed a test drive of two, red RX-7's. Said they really needed more power. Ha, don't all cars?

On ESPN, they had the International New York Auto Show the following hour. Everything on wheels seems to be either silver or dark grey metallic. That Toyota Scion makes a Jeep Cherokee look downright streamlined. Definition of the Scion: A Wells-Fargo truck in drag.

fowler3
    you mean RX-8 :-)

yeah i saw it, doesn't that look fun :-D
    CHANGE YOUR SPARK PLUGS REGULARLY!!!!

I just changed it today, my god how the old plugs look all beat up and stuff after only 32k.

now I feel much better with fresh plugs :-D
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    supposed to go 60,000 to 100,000 miles without a tuneup.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The Protege doesn't have platinum plugs either. It makes a difference.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I'll be curious to see how the new 2.3L 3 does in this series over the next couple of years. It seems like it will be a much better motor for tuning. From the C&D article, it sounds like Mazda had to upgrade everything but the block to get 240 HP out of the old 2.0L.
    "Makes you wonder why some cars are supposed to go 60,000 to 100,000 miles without a tuneup."

I would never, ever, leave spark plugs in for 100,000 miles. I don't care what they're made of.

Ted--After reading that C&D article, I think it's obvious that the Mazda 2.0L isn't a tuner motor. Mazda had to do TONS of work to get 240 hp out of the 2.0L and it isn't even a reliable 240 hp. It's too bad they couldn't call Honda up and just borrow their naturally aspirtated 240 hp 2.0L from the S2000. I have a feeling that the 2.3L will be much better also.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Some people wouldn't leave thier oil in for 10,000 miles or more. But some models allow it. Even on engines much more expensive than the 2.0 in the Protege.
    They say you can do it with platinum plugs. If Mazda used platinum plugs, they could have claimed 100,000 mile tune-up intervals also. As soon as manufacturers started using distributorless ignition, a tune-up meant changing the plugs, and maybe the wires. So the only difference between a car with 100,000 mile tune-up intervals is platinum plugs and maybe long life coolant. Big deal.

"Some people wouldn't leave thier oil in for 10,000 miles or more. But some models allow it."

Isn't it funny how the oil change intervals got more relaxed as some manufacturers started offering free scheduled maintenance? MB and VW come to mind.
    Paul has admitted he hasn't changed his car's air filter in 36,000 miles ... so his plugs'll probably go at least 300,000 miles.

:D

Meade

P.S. NO POSTS AT ALL YESTERDAY??? Do I really hafta come in here and stir up another debate among you guys???
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I am still considering using Mobil 1 or K&N filters for my vehicles. They cost roughly twice as much as the Mazda OEM filters. While it may not be worth the cost, I tend to be a little anal about oil changes since I like to have long maintenance intervals. What is everyone else using on their Proteges, etc.
    Did you find out if the cargo tray from the 2003 would fit your 2000?
    I use the OEM vienna sausage can.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    The small town I live in seems to have turned into Pro town. Maybe I'm just noticing because I was looking but it seems like there has been a Pro explosion.

Today I drove 6.5 miles to daycare and work and in that time I saw:

3 ES
    1 LX
    1 DX
    3 P5
    it costs less than a Purolator Premium Plus, but actually is actually identical to the Purolator PureOne inside the casing(which usually costs around $7 at your local auto store)!!!
    on the number of Mazdas I see everyday on the road.

TONS, literally TONS of Proteges of all ages running around.

I guess having 4 Mazda dealerships within a 20 mile radius has something to do with the abundance of Proteges, Miatas, and 626s :-D

and Mazda6's!!!
    I just changed my oil this past weekend and noticed that I did not get the usual Tennex OEM Mazda filter from the dealer. I got some Mazda Europe filter. Hey Malt, did Mazda switch suppliers or did they just run out of the Tennex filters?
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    I use mobil 1 filters.
    ... is that you actually remember that exactly.

:D

No, I haven't found out about cargo tray fitment yet. Frankly, I probably won't be buying one since I'll be trading my Protege for a Jetta 1.8T this weekend.

Meade
    Well, at least you can still claim that your 1.8L engine is better that the 2.0L that way.
    FYI: It doesn't appear that Lamborghini made the Diablo in 2002. Is this some type of vague reference to an unobtainable car?
    It's worth the wait; after it loads it'll repeat. Enjoy!

http://home.attbi.com/~bernhard36/honda-ad.html

Meade