Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Definitely sounds like excuses. What's the dealer's name? I assume it's in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Would think Volvo should know about the wording.
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    The dealer is Volvo of Richardson. The specific page is http://www.volvoofrichardson.com/fs/fs_newvehicles.htm
  • gccvgccv Member Posts: 1
    I am currently considering a C70 and a BMW 325ci (coupe). I just test drove the BMW this weekend and found the back seats small. Is the C70's larger in the rear seat area?
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    The back seats are almost as generous as the front seats. The only disadvantage is getting into the back seats (although the same could be said for getting into the back seat area of the BMW 325ci). I think that the back seat dimensions for the C70 are greater than those for the S60. (It (the C70) certainly feels larger.)
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    The back seats are very nice. I believe that there is the illusion of more room because they seem to be reclined at a bit of an angle that allows the legs to have more room. Avolvofan is right about getting into them though.... It takes the front seats 3 years to move forward so that someone can get in. You may want to start the car before you move the front seats as it may drain the battery (yes, I am only kidding, a little).
    And yes... The C70 is longer then the S60.
  • dickmorindickmorin Member Posts: 4
    So far I've replaced both driver and passenger window cartridges in my 2000 coupe. Each time the dealership has take at least 4 tries to adjust the window so it doesn't hit the rubber trim causing the door not to close properly or adjusted high enough so as not to leak air. They tell me they can only adjust up and down and not (N,S) and not on the sides (E,W). Anyone experience similar problems.
    Have you considered taking the car to a different dealer? Four tries is stretching credibility a bit much. If you can find a dealer with a dedicated body shop that would be preferable to one that sends the job out.
    does seen excessive. What are the "window cartridges"? I'm not familar with that term. Are they on the coupe only?
  • dickmorindickmorin Member Posts: 4
    They are the unit within the door that the window rides up and down on. I've been told that since coupes have larger,heavier windows this type of problem is not uncommon.
    I don't know about the convertibles, but I have a 2000 C-70 (non-convertible), and have not had problems with the window seal on either side. Again, it sounds like there may be problems with the dealer's capability to work on the C-70. Especially the comment about heavier windows....
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    There was a problem w/ the 2000 convertibles windows jumping their tracks, or failing to work at all.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I have an '02 C70 convertible, and the owner's manual advises against taking it through an automatic car wash due to the potential of damaging the top. Anyone have any experiences with this? Thanks in advance for your help.
    I've always handwashed mine so no actual experience. However, I can understand how a rolling brush could possibly harm the fabric or maybe the frame. Would not think the touchless kind would hurt either the top or the frame. My concern would be the water pressure around the windows and bottom of the rear window causing water to get inside.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I have an '02 C70 and have decided to change my oil and filter myself for the first time. Any tips from others who have done it themselves? I bought a filter and to my surprise it's a cartridge rather than cannister type. Where does the gasket provided with the filter go? How tight do you re-tighten the cannister that the cartridge goes in? It looks like I can reach the filter and drain plug without jacking the car up...has anyone tried that? Does the drain plug have a washer that requires replacement? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • rd_volvord_volvo Member Posts: 34
    Recommend you get :

Rhino Ramps + Car stands - Pep Boys
    Filter case cup - IPD
    Crush washer - Where u got the cartridge or IPD

Where does the gasket provided with the filter go? There is a slot on the threaded area of the
    plastic filter case. Use old oil to lubricate the
    new gasket and slip it in slot. Easy to see.

How tight do you re-tighten the cannister that the cartridge goes in? You will feel when it
    stops. It won't want to go anymore, don't go past this.

It looks like I can reach the filter and drain plug without jacking the car up...has anyone tried that? No Way. Not enough clearence for the pan.

Does the drain plug have a washer that requires replacement? Yes. Each time as the crush washer
    changes shape. 50-75 cents.

The filter case cup tool slides on the case and
    has a bolt like thingy you attach a rachet to.

I know they sell these cups at pep boys but you
    would have to size it up some how.

rd 99 c70
    Use old oil to lubricate the gasket? If it were my car, old oil would go straight to the recycling center. New oil would be used to lube the gasket. But then again, I am very picky....
    Yup,

Forgot the reasons but they say you should
     use your old warm oil to lub your new filters
     rubber gasket. Anyone know if I'm right on this
     one?

rd
  • jtenbuscjtenbusc Member Posts: 7
    I installed a Fumoto oil valve to make the job easier. It's not that expensive and you will never have to replace the crush washer again.
    http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Got one for each of my vehicles while I was at it. And no, I don't own stock or represent this company in any way....
    All:

After trying different brands of CD-Rs in the stereo, I have found the following....

You will want to burn at 1x the speed.
    You will want to use TDKs. These have been the best so far. Barry Manilow's voice really comes through well (yes, that is a joke as I only listen to Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies)
    Memorex is ok
    Sony is ok
    DO NOT use Phillips. The stereo searches forever to find the song and you can forget about skipping ahead to the next song.
    Craig, thanks for the info. Hey, what's wrong with Barry?? He's the Man(ilow)!
  • jtenbuscjtenbusc Member Posts: 7
    Unfortunately had to have my '01 towed in - it decided it didn't like the steering fluid anymore and started dumping it on my garage floor. Turns out a steering line clamp had worked loose.

While it was in, I had the dealer adjust the windows - whenever we raised both passenger front and rear windows at the same time they collided at the halfway closed point.

Of course 'adjustments' are only covered for 12/12,000 so they hit me for $170. Tech said these are really touchy - he doesn't let anybody else in his shop touch them. Seems to work well now.
  • c70lt00c70lt00 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 C70 has had several problems with the windows and doors. I think the window cassets have been replaced at least twice on both the passenger and driver doors. The back windows have had no problems. Despite this and other issues, I love the ride . Does anybody know if the windows on the 2002 and 2003 are any better?
  • rnoldrnold Member Posts: 6
    The rear view mirror on my '99 coupe is losing it's "tint" in the upper 1/4 of the mirror. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is there a remedy or is it time for a replacement?
    That's a new one for me. Would not think it's normal. Have you contacted your dealer? When does your 4 year warranty expire?
  • traderagtraderag Member Posts: 8
    I am a new owner of a '99 C70. So far I love the ride but am not used to the handling.

I came from a '93 300ZX, so the performance difference is notable (so far as I can tell).

My question is this: I have to replace the wheels/tires this week and am wondering if 18" rims are better for handling, or if any of you have bigger wheels like this? Previously I had 17" rims with 45s on them.

I don't care if the new wheels are 17 or 18", but I have to replace the wheels regardless and I just want better handling, however possible.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Traderag:

I have 17/45 wheels on my 00 Coupe and the handling is absolutely wonderful. At about 35,000 with the Michelin Pilots, I noticed handling problems but considering that they were 17's, I was happy to get 35,000 out of them (They lasted 43k). I may be off on this but I believe that the ZX is rear wheel drive and if that is the case, you are going to notice performance differences. Plus, if you have 25k or so on the tires that makes a difference.

I moved from the Michelins to the Bridgestone Protenzas (mainly because of cost but I heard they were good with wet traction, and that the tread wears more even as well). I am very happy with the Protenzas. The wet traction is much better than the Pilots were. However, I have not had them in warm weather yet as I replaced them in November and am looking forward to seeing how they perform on hot days. I am happy to say they are just as miserable in snow as the the Pilots were. Being in Chicago, the driving tends to be aggressive in order to be defensive. I can tell you that while I do get a bit of torque steer every once in a while, when I am humming along the car handles very well in tight turns and the only squealing I ever hear is when Lisa is in the seat next to me. I have never really gotten the tires to chirp.

As for going from 17 to 18 you will just need to ask yourself one question...
    Where do you live?
    If you live in Chicago it is against the law to have 18" rims because of the damage you can do to your car given the roads here (Unless you have an El Dorado or a 70's Nova then it's against the law because of the damage you can do to other cars).

Yes. That is a joke even though it shouldn't be.
    Hi schuhc,

My 17" original Michelin Pilots are on their last leg.
    35 k miles.

I called Tirerack and they said they recommend the Protenzas over the new Pilots.

The Pilots run about $177. Per

Can I ask which model/size tires did you get?
    My only concern I think was the fact that they were not Z rated tires. Am I right and is it a
    major concern with our cars.

I purchased the Bridgstone Blizzaks from Tirerack
    about 3 years ago. Best auto purchase I ever made.

Our winter in New York has been one of the worse
    and my C70 trots almost as good as any Hummer.

ty

rd

99 c70
    Anyone with 98-2000 c70s notice that your
    brake pads go quickly.

I failed inspection yesterday cause my from
    pads were down to the metal and rear pads
    have about 3k miles left to them. It's a good
    thing I had a set of PBR front pads sitting in
    the house. Bought them about two years ago for
    their no low brake dust ability. Went home
    and get them. Brought them back and shop threw
    them on for $45 and passed inpection.

I surprised me because I have a speed and thought
    I would get 50k out of these OEM pads.

Well called up Brentwood Volvo [ they mail order ]
    and got a quote of $ 30 for the rear pads.

If the shop charged me #45 to install the fronts
    should the rear be about the same labor?

They also said the serpentine belt is getting a
    little worn. When should you change out this
    belt if you do mostly city driving?

ty

rd
    It is not the type of driving (city vs. highway), but rather, the miles. Volvo recommends a 70K replacement interval.
    Hey...

Alrighty then....

For tires...
    I have the Protenzas and they are the RE730 Gen 2. and are ZR Speed rated. 225/45-17 and about $144 a pop.

Brakes...
    The Volvo pads are traditionally softer so they do tend to go quick. I threw on the PBR's from IPD as well at around 33,000. I cannot wait to get those suckers off. While it has been nice that they are dustless, they squeal like a mother.
    I am due for new brakes soon so if you can tell me if you are having a similar issue with your PBRs it would be helpful. If you are not, let me know what was done so that I can instruct the dealership to do the exact same. I would not have an issue trying out the PBRs again if they would just keep QUIET!!!!! :-)

By the way, the Pilots that I compared against cost $233 when I compared and I don't see that price on tirerack anymore so they must've come down in price
    Thanks Avolvofan & Schuhc

Right now the PBR deluxe are quiet. I told
    the manager at the shop to have the tech
    throw on a lot of anti squeal lub cause these
    pads have rep for screeching. Hope it stays
    that way as these pads are nice and soft and
    responsive.

Did your PBR's start squeeling right away or
    did it take some time?

Those tires sound very attractive.

ty

rd
    Those suckers started straight away. I called IPD yesterday and they said I should try the semi metallic ones as the dust they give off in 2 weeks equals the dust the Volvo pads give off in 2 days. Think I'll give the PBRs a try again and I'll have the tech throw on a couple hundred pounds of lube as well.

Thanks,

Craig
    Had those things on my T5-R, boy did they squeal.
    Went back to the stock pads.
    Dust doesn't bother me, been around Benzes and Bimmers that are just as bad.
    If I want to make any modifications to the C70 (ie --lowering the springs, a strut bar support, sway bars), does that automatically negate the warranty?
    your warranty. IF the mods caused other problems, then there might be a problem. Have you called your dealer? Also, what part of Houston is your C70 garaged? Coupe or convert? Color? I'm in Spring, with a gold 99 convert.
    As long as your mods don't involve changing internal engine or transmission components your warranty is valid.
    The manufacturer would have to prove that a mod caused the failure of another system.
    Example, we had a customer install an aftermarket alrm in his volvo and the installer hacked the wiring harness.
    Wiring harness fried, no warranty coverage.
    Mods are fine, just be careful what they are and who installs them.
    I live in the Galleria area and my C70 isn't garaged. I wish I had a garage, but all I've got is covered parking. It's a 99 coupe, white with tinted windows. I only had it for two weeks when the wheels were stolen, and it's been in the shop (insurance) for a month trying to get the new wheels/tires.

Talk about frustrating and a buzz kill after getting a new car.

Volvomax,

Thanks for the info. I am definitely thinking of gettting an alarm too, since the factory alarm didn't help in the aforementioned case. I need to get a shock sensor.
    Other than that, I just want to lower the stance of the car a bit to enhance handling. I think lowering the springs will do the trick.

Speaking of lowering, does everyone go with IPD in their mods, or are other aftermarket makers just as good for Volvo?
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

A few weeks ago my 99 Volvo's CEL came on. [ Check old post ]
    On a hunch I mail ordered a new gas cap thinking my original one is getting old and popped it in last thursday.

Went to get gas Saturday and WaLah, when I started the car the CEL went out and has been out ever since.

It may be a good idea to change all your fluid
    caps and seals every three years or so. Gas, Oil, Coolant, Etc.

Hope this tip helps other motorist's in the future.

rd

99 c70
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    Just took my wife's '99 convertible in for regularly scheduled maintenance only to receive a call that the turbo was leaking. We had been in for a few final warranty items in January right before our 4yr/50k warranty expired. No turbo problems then. Luckily it was just the "return line" and we caught it before any other problems developed. $300 in all, two seals and the labor to go in and get to them. All covered by extended warranty.
    Sorry to hear about your wheels being stolen.
    If memory serves Volvo offered a dealer installed mass movement sensor for the C70.
    You might want to check it out.
    MAN!!!!!!

Now I wish I had a 99 instead of my 2000. I go away on business for 2 days and Lisa (my lovely wife who I have no business being with cause she is way too good for me) decided to put gas in the car. Yes...You are correct. I get home and the CEL is on. I check the gas cap and...Yes...you are correct. It wasn't on properly. However!!!!!! With the 2000 C70's, refastening it and having the 'vacuum' work correctly does not solve the problem (which it obviously does for the 99's). So I will have to go to the dealer once again and get it switched off.
    On another note, my salesman said the worst 18 words to me that he could say...
    Saturday, April 5th 8:20am
    "Craig? Mark Demma. Look, a spot on the European buying program just opened up if you want it."
    Saturday, April 5th 5:00pm
    Craig drops his $2k security deposit down on the XC90 for his beautiful, 6 month pregnant, overly-emotional, hyper-tempermental, Italian-American princess (did I mention too good for me?) wife so that he doesn't have to trade in his baby (c70).
    hmmmm.... Wonder if they can convert that automatic tranny to a manual now that she won't drive it anymore.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    i don't know why that light reset so quick on the '99. it also does not reset on the '98 immediately. HOWEVER, you don't need to go to the dealer. It will reset itself in about 7-10 days (at least, that's the case with my 98).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Your first? Wasn't aware there were "spots" on the Euro program. Thought one just told the dealer and flew to Sweden to pick it up. The XC90 is a sweet ride.
    Yeah... It was a pretty sweet ride. I probably didn't need to go for the T6 but I figured I'd be driving it every once in a while. There actually weren't any spots open but my salesman knew that I wanted a spot and he is in pretty good with the guys from across the pond. He sold a 2003 S80T6 and a V70T%5 this month for the euro program so they gave him an extra slot.

We lucked out.
    Holy Geez!!!

So I get home from Cincinnati. Hop in my baby. And the CEL light isn't on anymore. So in a fit of horrible judgement I thank my goddess of a wife, who is too good for me, for taking the car to the dealer to have the light turned off. After looking at me like I'm a moron, she indicates that it went off on its own after she filled up the tank and drove around for a while.

I must say that I am absolutely beside myself. I never thought that she would fill my baby with gas....er,... I never thought that the light would go off by itself.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    what? you thought I would lie to you? ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fisherfw1fisherfw1 Member Posts: 1
    Am considering a 2004 C70 Volvo as well as BMW. Anyone have any trouble with this version of Volvo's turbos--both high and low pressure??
    Thanks
    No problems yet @30k miles for my LT.
    No problems yest (brake calliper siezed up) @50k miles for my 2000 HT.

By the way...don't listen to that Tmart guy...There's something awfully suspicious about him...

Tommy...Go take a peek at the XC90 discussion. There's these guys (volvobuster and bigeddy) that are totally ragging on each other in the #270 and down the road posts. It's pretty funny.
    Sounds like volvobuster has some issues. Your post was very good. Gonna be in your town next month for a wedding. Hope the weather will be good. Did you make it here a couple of months ago to visit your friend? Go to the Rodeo?