Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    is that one - in white?

BTW, the major difference between is300 and proEs is width and low height - when you see it in reality ;)

but yes the is300 and Es surely look like their designer used the same inspiration ;):)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    of the DX and I needed to get out motorcycle riding, so I'm back in a truck. Hopefully, I'll move into a P5 when things change a bit at home. Do you think a P5 will pull a trailer? hehehe

:)
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    Hey guys. I have been out of town for a few days. I took a trip to va from GA on the 11th. I drove my lx 2.0. No problems at all. My wife slept most of the way. She said it was a nice ride. She usually can not sleep in a car, but this time she got her blanket and pillow and just chilled all the way. The only bad thing was, I got a cracked windshield. A rock hit my car so hard that I thought that I drove over something. The funny thing is, that there was no other cars around. I guess it came from outer space wooooooh woooh. I was so mad. My wife told me to turn around and go back home, if I am going to spoil the trip. She told me to not worry and just get over it. " things like this happen all the time" <----she said. But this is my baby. I am not going to replace the windshield for a while. Has anyone else replaced a windshield on a protege? how much was it?. I was going to call SAFELITE, but have not had the time. I had this done on my 98 civic and it was about $170.00. Do you think that they may scratch the body of the car (when they replace the windshield?
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Wouldn't your insurance cover it (with a deductible)? Some places have coupons for the deductible. They prefer that you get your insurance company to pay for it and they reimburse you for the deductible instead of you paying for it yourself, not because they're nice, but because they charge the insurance company more for the same replacement.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    It&#146;s still bumpy. In that case, I&#146;m so glad I didn&#146;t buy an ES, my kidneys couldn&#146;t take THAT
    much pounding. Most older people don't want to feel bumps at all, I&#146;m an exception. I didn&#146;t buy the Pro for the handling, but I do enjoy it.

I bought the Pro, instead of a used Accord at the same price, for the warrenty, reliability, and styling. The size and interior trim quality. And to get away from Honda&#146;s high service bills.

unmarkedcar: Did they scratch the Civic? Check with your in surance company, they may pay part of it.

It may have been a kid throwing a rock.

fowler3
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had the windshield replaced in my 1999 DX, but did not pay for it. A truck threw a rock and hit my car, and I called his company from my cell phone and told them about it, while I was still on the road next to the truck. Anyway, the replacement cost $305.26 and they did not scratch the paint or anything in the process.
    No they did not scratch the paint on my civic, but I was just concerned. I really like this car and am planning on keeping it. I know that they use metal tools to remove the old windshield, so I was kind of scared. Do you guys think that I should replace it? I know that this kind of thing happens all the time. I do not like to claim stuff on my insurance. Last time I paid for the windshield myself. I think allstate would want me to pay the deductible $250.00. I called safelite and they wanted $290.00 to replace it. The crak is about 9 inch long and is on the passenger side.
  • conheadyconheady Member Posts: 77
    Back in december an SUV threw a pebble through my windsheild on the passenger side. It actually put a hole in the glass and I found the (possible) pebble when cleaning out my car a few weeks ago.

Luckily the insurance company paid for it all.

It should be against the law for some SUV's and trucks to have such a high clearance and no splash gaurds.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Almost every insurance policy has "glass coverage" of some sort. It differs from your regular coverage and deductable.

I knowwith mine, if I have my windshiesd busted by road deprise, it get's replaced. My only expense is a $50 glass deductable no matter what the windshield costs. This does NOT effect your insurance rates.

Call your insurance agent!
  • gitarzangitarzan Member Posts: 66
    I think the Audi A4 has a pretty similar look to the Protegé. There's been a couple times I thought an A4 was a Pro' until I got a little closer.

That Euro compact sedan profile is pretty ubiquitous and shared by many non-USA compacts. It's a good look and therefore highly copied, emulated, derived from, inspired by, etc.

I drove a 2001 Stratus about 200 miles yesterday. What a boat, when compared to my nimble, modest little Protegé. The Protegé just keeps on impressing and pleasing me.

And, when I drive my old Caprice it *really* feels like a boat. Talk about a lack of road feel...
    Your view of the forum was the reason that I started to post. Unfortunately, I dug myself a hole and now have to live with it. I'd love to join the Thursday chat if I could get into it from work and if it weren't right in my commute time. Someday perhaps.

I have heard good things about that Test Track ride. I just need to find a cheap way to get to Orlando. hehe

Send an e-mail sometime if you wish.

• edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I'm beginning to get feet dragging from salesmen when I ask for a price. They don't want to say unless I have my pen out ready to sign. Are they not supposed to respond with a firm quote when I'm eligible for the S-plan thro' my company participation? And what would be the best price for an ES with auto & prem package. I think Hollenhorst2 got his for 16100 or so but I also hear 15,900. Can anyone help me with pricing before I go in to the dealer and get taken? Thanks
  • logger1logger1 Member Posts: 14
    Has anybody got experience on this plan? I can't get any info from Mazda Web site. Dealers either don't want to talk about it, or really highball it (e.g. $1500 for 7 Yr/100k).

The Civic owners claim $600 for 7 Yr/100K with zero deductible.

Lou H
  • hollenhorst2hollenhorst2 Member Posts: 51
    My S Plan price for my '01 ES with auto/prem was 16,827. When you subtract the $1,200 rebate, my price was 15,627, plus state sales tax and $23 tax/title fee.

Come right out and ask them if they'll take S plan pricing or not. It's a no-haggle price, printed right on the invoice, which I would expect would be very close to mine. If you haven't already done so, get your S Plan PIN number and give it to them. It does not obligate you to buy the vehicle; it does show you're a seriously interested buyer.

If they won't take S plan pricing, the 15,900 figure (after rebates) that was mentioned in a previous post is a good price IMO, as long as the doc fees aren't too excessive.

Good luck!
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    What kind of numbers are people getting with the 2.0L auto? My first tank 80-90% highway resulted in 27mpg at 60-70mph. Its a little better than I expected on a green engine.
    400 miles on a full tank. 14.5/400=27.58mpg. That is what I am getting. I have a LX 2.0 AUTO and keep the tires at 35-37 psi. I am not sure if I would get lower milage at 32psi.
  • shadowfax01shadowfax01 Member Posts: 4
    Any suggestions for dealing with paint chips? Is Mazda touch up paint the best solution or will any touch up paint do the job? I have a sandlewood metallic pro, will it be hard to match the color? It's not a big paint chip, but I'm just worried about rust.
    PAINT CHIP: Go to your mazda dealer and get the RIGHT paint for your car. The code should be on the inside driver door. Once you get the paint, use a toothpick to apply it. This will be a lot better than the brush that comes with the paint. Or by a small hobby brush from a hobby store.

STEERING WHEEL COVER: If you guys have a 2 tone interior, go to advanced auto parts and buy a steering wheel cover. They sell one that matches the interior of the protege. it is black and cream. looks great.
  • bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    Are you pleased with your purchase experiences at Schafer and Strominger and previuosly at Russell? If you, would you give me names (and email addresses if you have them) of the salespersons you dealt with? Thanks.
    Shadowfax01 is right, use a small pointed brush to apply touch up paint. Don't be in a hurry. Apply it from the center to the edge of the existing paint. Do not overlap it. This just adds another thickness to the existing paint. Fill it in slowly to the level of the existing paint.

Probably best to paint a little and let it surface dry over night and then add another layer.

fowler3
    At Russel, I didn't like the dealer himself because he was a bit childish (he was a young guy). The dealer at Schafer & Strominger was really nice though. I don't have a specific e-mail address for him, but their phone number is 410-661-7600. His name is "Lark" (nickname, but I don't know his real name). I was the very first person he had to use the S-plan pricing too, so mention that and also my name (Paul King) to him and he will give you a good deal.
    Paint chipping: Go to the dealer and get the paint for the car, with the color code on the door label. It's like $7 a bottle, and works fine.

2.0/auto fuel economy: I have the same setup with 5800 miles on it already, and I consistently average 25-29 mpg with 70/30 highway/city driving and a heavy highway foot (70-90 mph sometimes). Mileage is definitely good and usually at the top of the EPA ratings scale.

Protege ES Premium price: My car ended up costing me $17,141 (invoice -1.5% per the S-plan), minus the $750 rebate at the time (purchased 2/21/2001), for a grand total of $16,391. I have automatic, the Premium Pkg., and the cassette player in mine.

Chat tonight: Don't forget that the Protege chat is tonight from 8-9pm (5-6pm for our people on the West coast). See you there! :)

ZOOM ZOOM!
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    drove a new Dodge Grand Caravan Sport for 800 miles.

Beautiful vehicle. great seats. Precise handling -reminded me of my Pro ES -without the hard suspension. Smooth engine. Engine revs only 2500rpm at 85 mph. Excellent noise insulation -best till date in any vehicle i have driven - no wind noise - no road noise -only wife,children and friends making noise ;). Drove 800 miles and could have driven 800 more.
    Bet you couldn't have driven 800 more without having to take the van back to the dealer for service, a recall, or something. Just kidding. :)

My roommate has a 2000 Neon ES with 25K on it, and it is a comfortable car to drive. It doesn't have the power, grip, or room inside of my Protege ES though. Also, it's been in the shop 12 times (including having to be towed once when brand new for a no-start condition). Also, the engine vibrates badly, the dash rattles, and the remote/alarm system sometimes has a mind of its own.
  • dukesunflowdukesunflow Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone recommend a Mazda dealership in the Louisville area?
    Ask hollenhorst2.
    Hey guys...I have noticed that the AC in my protege is not that strong till I switch it to 2. Has anyone else noticed that?
    I just bought an '01 ES with auto and prem pkg at Craig and Landreth Mazda in Clarksville, IN. The reason I bought it there is that I did a web search of the area dealers who had their inventories online, and it turned out that C&L had the Protege with just the options I was looking for. I got mine under the S plan, so I really didn't have to haggle. However, in an earlier post, I described how I got lucky due to a miscommunication between the salesman (Arsalan Haq-ask for him if you go, he's a really nice guy)and ownership. Turns out they weren't supposed to let any ES's w/ prem pkg go under the S plan, but Arsalan, being relatively new, wasn't aware of that. The dealer at first wasn't gonna let me have it, but finallly relented. It seemed like a nice enough place.

I did not visit either Blue Grass Mazda or Neil Huffman Mazda, the two other dealers in the Louisville area, because their online inventories didn't list the car I wanted.

Good luck!

P.S. I would NOT recommend Paul Miller Mazda in Lexington, as they tried to charge me a $349 doc fee as well as a $290 dealer prep fee!
    Craig and Landreth's standard doc fee is $199, but I got it waived and only had to pay $23 for tag and title.
    Yes, I am definitely eligible for the S-plan with all the dealers here in Charlotte NC area. It was just this one who was trying to pretend ignorance about what the final price would be. One of the other dealers said that it would be 2% below invoice (after taking out the rebates). I called FORD and got my pin and they read me my 'rights' (namely no fees were to be included like prep or doc). So I'll probably look into it seriously this weekend. However I see now that the Millennia's are being discounted heavily. I see Carsdirect selling the P model at low $23K. Thanks for your data, this will keep me from being sandbagged.
    How did you get a $1200 rebate> It's 500 on the ES. Also Edmunds has the invoice at 17021 for ES/auto/prem incl destination. Doesn't look like I'll get your price if it's 2% under. Unless there are other fees that need to come off the 17,021. We'll have to see..
  • rnd2rnd2 Member Posts: 31
    do you ride street or dirt ? i have a 1100 goldwing and a kx 250
    On ES models with a sunroof, effective May 3 or 4, you get the $700 off the MSRP, because they are making the sunroof standard in all 2.0 models now.
    Moonroof is not standard on the 2.0 models. You get a $500 rebate plus free moonroof. If the car has no moonroof, you get a $1,000 rebate.
    The way I understand the rebate situation, the ES is only eligible for the $500 rebate, whether or not it has a moonroof. The $1000 rebate does not currently apply. If your ES has a moonroof, you get an additional $700 credit. That's how I got my $1,200 off.

Did I read your post correctly when you stated that one of the dealers you've talked to said the S plan deal would come in at 2% below invoice after rebate on an ES w/ prem and auto? If so, he is way off in percentage terms. Again, if you look at the numbers, the invoice is $17,021. My S plan price was $16,827, or 1.14% below invoice. Take off the $1,200 rebate and you get $15,627 before ttl. This is 8.19% below invoice! Take those numbers into to that guy who quoted you the 2% figure.
    "You get a $500 rebate plus free moonroof. If the car has no moonroof, you get a $1,000 rebate. "
    FWIW, the above comes from Mazda USA's customer service department.
    as to whether the $1,000 rebate applies to the ES.
    #2117 of 2192 addendum to post 2116 -hkchan by hollenhorst2 May 15, 2001 (04:43 am)

Regarding the rebate, I was given the $500 general rebate and the $700 moonroof credit. The way I think the new rebate scheme works is that the $1,000 rebate does not apply to ES's and to Proteges with moonroofs (maltb, am I correct here?); however, the $500 rebate would still apply. So if you got a Protege without a moonroof, you would only get a $500 rebate; with a moonroof, a $1200 rebate. I'm really glad I got the moonroof. It's not too noisy (even without the deflector) and seems to work quite well, and best of all it was free!

#2118 of 2192 RE: Hollenhorst by maltb May 15, 2001 (07:29 am)

E-plan is for Mazda/Ford employees and their immediate family.

Moonroof credit($700) only applies to the 2.0L trim levels with a moonroof. All others get a $1000 rebate instead of the $500.

• stevewpsistevewpsi Member Posts: 7
    I called Mazda USA customer service today and the representative indicated that the $1,000 rebate applies to Proteges without moonroofs. The $500 rebate applies to Proteges with moonroofs. There is no free moonroof or $700 credit for a moonroof. According to the customer service rep. the whole point of the $1000.00 rebate was to move cars off the lot that did not have moonroofs. The moonroof is a popular option. Please let me know what you were told.
    LOL. It proves once again 50% of dealers/salespersons/CSR's don't know what they're talking about. hollenhorst2 got a "free" moonroof. That proves it. But then I also contended that the "credit" should've been $560 since he paid S-Plan price, but he got $700 (MSRP of moonroof). Hope their assembly lines don't work this well.
    Thanks for following up on the rebate issue and (hkchan) reposting maltb's previous response regarding same. I think I've finally got it straight. Now that I do, watch 'em change it again! :)
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    very cool commercial, instead of driving among the rolling hills/desert flats like all the other mazda ads, this one they show the car driving in the city among the skyscrapers. The yellow p5 looks extremely nice in the commercial. Very tastefully done. If all wagons in the future look as good as the p5, the world will be a better place (well the car world at least) :)

anyone else seen it yet?
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Saw it a couple of times last night. Very good ad placement during NBC's night of season finales.

Can't wait to see one in person. :-)
    I know I should have watched those TV shows last night instead of coming into the Protege chat room. :) j/k

You all know Mazda paid some serious bucks to NBC to show the commercials during the season finales.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    I saw them also during the season finales. I think I counted about 4 of them. They were very well made with different camera angles and film speeds. And the coolest thing about it is that a lot of the kids at school today are singing the "ZOOM-ZOOM" song and my friends come up and say,"Hey you have a Zoom-Zoom car don't you?" I just grin and nod. I really think these new ads are boosting Mazda's image quickly. Bravo Mazda!
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Well, I returned from Ocean City, Maryland. I took my 83 year old Grand Pop, deep sea fishing. The ride down and back takes aprox. 3 1/2 hours each way. All told, about 330 miles. The ride down was awesome, no traffic great weather and my 2000 PRO-ES was up to full zoom! We pretty much zoomed the whole way, only got behind a few left lane bandits, hehe! No prob, I just take em down in the right lane, zooooommm!!!

We got on the head boat, O.C. Princess at 6:00am and we headed off-shore about 18 miles and started fishing a wreck for Sea Bass. I got sick on the way out and sick while fishing, lol! Nonetheless, my Pop and I slayed the fish! We caught 40 very nice Sea Bass and one of my bass just missed winning the "Biggest Fish Pool Contest", darn, it was verrrry close to winning! Even with my involuntary chumming, I had an awesome time. My Grand Pop took me fishing, when I was a kid, the least I can due is return the favor. He really rocks for 83!!

Back to the dock, we paid the mates to clean the fish and we returned to Lancaster Pa., in very good time. Zooming the whole way with the moon roof open and my Pop's 40's Swing Band cassettes playing in the deck. We listed to Jimmy Dorsey, Tommy Dorsey, Woody (somebody?) and a couple of others. I know this will sound weird but it was kinda cool listening to Big Band music and Zooming up Route #13, lol!!! We had a GREAT time.

Now, I need to go clean the fish stink out of my beloved Pro-ES. I guess, i'll try some of that citrus cleaner they advertise on the late night informacials, hehe! Have a great day, all!

Respectfully,
    Larry
    What did you have for breakfast? anchovies? On the west coast, you are lucky to get 4 legal size sea-bass on a charter boat.

So was Pop ok with your Zoom oriented driving and the rather firm ride? My dad, at 63, complains about firm suspension; like his back is going to fail or something. He gets over it.

Glad to hear you had a good trip.

Have your dad recline the seatback more, it&#146;s the lack of lumbar support that gets to him. I raked mine back and decided not to have padding added by a trim shop. I like the arms almost straight-out driving position.

Only 63? He&#146;s not even retirement age yet, still a kid! LOL

fowler3
    I'll remember that next time...

And yes, he is a kid. With all of his out of the house, he's learning how to live again(and enjoying the extra $$$). The problem is buying a gift for someone that buys everything they want. Grumpy old guys I tell ya! :)
    Dirt. My wife doesn't trust me with a street bike. Come to think of it, neither do I. I once borrowed my buddy's CBR and realized that for me there is no such thing as part throttle. It was just so much fun that I could smell tickets in my future.

I recently bought a little 50 for my six year old son, so we'll be able to do more "family" riding. hehehe