Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    According to Mazda's own website, 4-wheel discs are only on the ES model.

I found a difference between the rear drum brakes on my 99 Protege DX and the 4-wheel discs on the 01 ES I had, but mostly pedal feel.
  • demmicondemmicon Member Posts: 2
    it's cool... i wasn't really looking for any help from some more expirienced people at all... i just took the time to register and post a question 'cause i was bored, what with having so much free time trying to find a new car and all.
    yeah, thanx guys...
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    E-mail me.
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    for the tip on the firewall passthrough. The guy at Mazda South (Mazdastuff.com) emailed me a copy of the wiring diagram after I called to see how much the shop manual was. Super nice of him. If anyone else needs it or wants it (2001) shoot me an email. They will definately get my business in the future when I order those kenwood speakers....

Meade, if I may ask another question, want guage wire did you use to power the radio? I'm concerned that since it is in the engine bay, I need something fairly substantial. I guess what a stereo shop would use to wire a sub would be ok, no?

Steve
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    No prob, dude. And I would like a copy of that wiring diagram, if you'd be so kind! I think you know my e-mail address or where to find it; if not, just shoot me another message here and I'll get it to you.

I used the wiring that came with the transceiver. It's good and thick red-and-black power cable; if I had to guess I'd say it was 10 gauge or so. Radio Snack sells a 25-foot spool of it for not mucho dinero. It had to be capable of powering a 50-watt output transmitter that draws about 12 amps when transmitting. (Another reason I don't like using the fuse block for these things.)

I'd think a car stereo shop could tell you what you need.

Meade
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ...have some assistance for demmicon Jul 19, 2003 5:13pm?

Demmicon, we do try to help, but it's likely that the folks who might have suggestions haven't been by to see your question since you posted it. And I think that the folks who have seen your question are not the right folks, so they haven't had anything to offer.

That's really all there is to it - please don't take it personally.

It's always worth asking again, so let's see if anyone can help you this time.

:-)
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Dn;t have experience with older Proteges, but as far as reliability they are as good as any Honda or Toyota w.out a doubt. mdaffron had 2 PROs from that generation and was veery happy w/them.

Good luck!

Dinu
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2003 Mazda Protege sitting in my garage as we speak...the ES has four wheel discs while the LS has only front...I drove both before deciding on the ES version. I'm the one who actually pointed out the brake difference to the salesperson. However, both versions I test drove did have the ABS. I would assume both handle competently. My decision was primarily because of the color...ES was white while I could only get a loaded LS in green, and secondarily, because of the fog lamp and six speaker package that came with the ES.
  • nitroladynitrolady Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your quick responses. My reason for wanting the LS is also because of color (want beige interior since I have a beige dog), and charcoal (ES interior) wouldn't work at all, unless I wrapped the dog up in saran wrap prior to letting her in the car ....

After all this, it turns out that the dealer can't locate the car I want (LS, beige interior, any color except black or white, ABS package, 5 speed). So I'm off to the Hyundai dealer for an Elantra (no flames, please-- I do love the Protege!) since that was my second choice.

Thanks again for your input.
    Didn't see your first post since I'm new to the board, but I did have a 93 Protege DX which I gave to my brother. He still has it and it has given him no problems whatsoever, which is amazing considering the fact that he lives in Phoenix, and the heat is very hard on cars. I gave it to him when it had about 70K on it and I think it now has 90K or so. I gave it to him about 3 years ago.

The only thing I can think of is that he is noticing a rhythmic and repetitive clunking (or clicking?) sound when he turns hard to the left, and a friend of his who listened to the sound told him that the 'half shafts' probably need replacing and this is common on FWD vehicles of this car's age/mileage (I personally have never heard of half shafts).

The car was wonderful to me when I had it, never had any breakdowns, failures or anything, though I did make sure to change the oil pretty religiously at 3k, and did tune-ups, and other scheduled maintenance as recommended. I also had a good mechanic who did the timing belt at 60K or so as well as resurfacing rotors, new pads, new hoses & belts, flushed radiator, tune up, etc., etc. Was a bit expensive for all that (I think $700 or so), but as I said, the car never failed me.

The car is still on it's original starter & alternator.

Hope this helps.

Nitrolady
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Dog in a seran wrap - I'd rather walk all my life! Now if I had a cat, I might do something unspeakably evil to it - but never to a dog :)
    Your logic is sound, get the beige interior car - for all practical purposes, the braking with rear drums will be great as well, if not exactly class leading!

HALF shafts? He probably has torn boots on his CV Axle joints (Constant Velocity) - which kinda look like half shafts, so I can imagine the reference makes some sense. I tore mine up in the 60s (60K/65K) by tearing up a 30-mile gravelly road (Pikes Peak) :) Cost a small fortune (not really!) to repair - I got it done for around 250 total including labour for both axles, with a 12-month warranty.

Demmicon - Older Pros - there are numerous owners of older Pros and even 323's that swear by their reliability, build quality and safety. Ask Mdaffron to tell you his favorite story about his 40mph rear-ending of a Volvo Wagon in his 92LX! He promptly went out and bought another, which gave him great service as well.

Other protege clubs and groups may have more anecdotal stories that point to the reliability of the Pro for the last 2-3 generations :)
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    That is actually a good idea. At least the dog would be too stupid to realize what you were doing to it. Cats are too smart to allow anyone to wrap them in Saran Wrap.

Actually, I influenced my wife to get a black dog to match the interior color of the P5. As for the Miata, that dog will never set foot in the "my car."
    "As for the Miata, that dog will never set foot in the "my car."

I feel the same way about food in my car - and it's not even a Miata. Nothing enters the cabin unless it leaves it as clean as it was before it/he/she came in. Therefore, my muddy soccer shoes and their grass-stained socks travel next to the Fabreeze bottle and Armor-All in the trunk :)

Dinu
    Obsessive about his car(s)
    "Therefore, my muddy soccer shoes and their grass-stained socks travel next to the Fabreeze bottle and Armor-All in the trunk"

I suppose that is true. I could make her put the dog in the trunk.
    ... only cats deserve to be put in the trunk. Preferably in seran wrap (TM)
    The cargo tray and organizer in the 6 is awesome.

Required content: Do they make something similar for the Pro/P5?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Why not buy an Element as a second car? No carpet to worry about and the seats are washable. Also, with the seats up Spot or Tiger would have more than enough room to move around. And if they have an "accident" you can just wipe it up. The Element may be funny-looking but I feel it's the perfect car if you have pets that frequently travel with you.
    ... even if the owner feels nauseous and has this overwhelming desire to puke because s/he just saw his own car's reflection in a store window while passing, it'll be a cinch to clean up.

I actually asked the Honda dealership I went to with a friend who was hybrid shopping whether the Element came standard with throw-up bags, or whether they were a part of the first-aid kit/package. I waited until they showed what terrible salespeople they were and I confirmed that my friends wouldn't buy their car from there.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Good chance my 2nd car will be an Element in a few months.

I'll follow you around in it and make you feel sick all day!
    If we could've found a 5-speed 4WD Element for close to invoice we would have one instead of the Dodge truck we just bought. They are ugly (to some people) but they drive so darn good and are very functional.
    WOWzers!

Is it just because you can (jobs) or because you grow tired of the last one so easily? Still have the Accord Coupe? Civic SI?
    It's a 97 Dodge Dakota V6 extended cab with 67,000 miles. We needed a truck and this one seemed to fit the bill. It was cheap, pretty, and a 5-speed. We still have the Accord (almost 15,000 miles in 7 months), the SI was gone a while ago for our 95 GS300, and we still have the 94 LS400. The Element was our first choice but they are still too popular in our area and we have yet to see a 5-speed 4WD so we bought something to tide us over until an Element is a feasible option.

We go through cars because there's always something else that seems like it would be nice to own for a while. Luckily, we don't buy a car unless it's a great deal so we are usually not too far in the hole where we are stuck with a car. Even if you have $3000 negative, if you buy a car that's worth $8,000 for $5,000 you will still be ok. Just like when we traded our 2001 Protege for our 2000 SI.
    On the way back to the office from lunch, I saw it ... at least I thought I saw it ... up ahead. I downshifted to fourth and attained a mildly illegal speed as my heart began to pound fervently in my chest ... no, I wasn't having a myocardial infarction ... as I zoomed closer ... closer ... the Mazda kid appeared in my mind's eye ... whispering something ... what was he saying ... oh yeah, "zoom zoom" ... can it be, I thought ... can it be ... blew through the toll plaza ... thank god for Smart Tag ... ah, there he is, getting closer ... closer ... so what about that cop ... this will be worth a ticket ... oh, he didn't see me anyway ... thank you zoom deity ... where was I ... oh yeah ... wheel in a death grip, blood surging through my hands ... what IS it ... can it possibly be ... yes, I think it is ...

IT IS!!!

I followed a brand-spanking new, bright red MAZDA RX-8 down the expressway, off my exit ramp, and to a traffic light ... where I got to sit beside him for too short a moment and DROOL DROOL DROOL!!!

MAN WHAT A CAR!!!

I ... WANT ONE!!!

NOW!!!

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Meade's been bitten bad. :)
    I got to sit in one, pop the hood, start it up, shift through gears, rev to unearthly RPMs but not move it at all!

At least I have temporary respite from the Zoom Zoom Bug, otherwise I'd have lost all control and gone and bought this one instead!

BTW I like the MZ6 blue better than the RX-8 Blue - all other colors on the RX-8 are absolutely awesome! Especially the red and green.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    on us. I wanted to tell her what to do when carrying a dog. My dog rides in the backseat of my Pro, I use a throw over the cloth seats to keep down shedding and "spots". The throw was bought at Target, it's a nice soft fabric blanket. Inexpensive at $19.95 and it can be tossed into the washing machine. I also use firm foam pillows as "airbags" standing vertically on the rear floor to prevent injury if I have to make a panic stop. They work real good.

Dogs don't usually have "accidents" where they sleep or liedown, but they can leave spots on fabric after doing their business following a walk in a park. Especially female dogs even if they have been neutered. That makes the blanket/throw more important. ;)

First, see to their safety, then to their comfort and to keeping your car clean.

fowler3
    Yeah, I see that nitrolady went Korean...what a travesty! However, she was smart enough to avoid the "domestics"!!
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I think I've narrowed down my car choices to either an Elantra GT sedan or Mazda Protege LX. I'm going to do a back to back test drive this weekend but thought I'd post here to see if any of you Pro owners made the same comparison and if so, why you went with Mazda.

Surprisingly, both the Elantra GT and a Protege LX with 6 CD changer and a spoiler come out to about $14K at Carsdirect (I'm just using them as a guide to get a ball park price in mind). The Elantra GT has leather seats, but the Pro has the 6 CD changer. Other than that, these cars seem to be very similiar in many ways. Reviews of both (from pros and owners) are great. Here at Edmunds, the Pro "problems" topic does have an awful lot of posts though.

Help me decide!!
    I always put a blanket down for my dog on the seats of my current car (an Audi), though the blanket slides a lot because I have the 'perforated leatherette' seats (they couldn't just call it vinyl I guess). My dog can also be fairly active in the car, so half the time the blanket ends up on the floor. I am planning to put old cotton twin sized mattress pads in the new (yes, Korean) car to help keep the hair problem under control. She really sheds a lot, though, so I think I am just going to have to learn to live with a hairy South Korean car.

I may start sewing a saran wrap sweater for her first though .... Or, since boggse got his wife to buy a dog that matched the interior of the car, I could just turn my yellow lab into a black lab with a little help from Clairol, and then get that ES with the charcoal interior!
    I drove an Elantra GT, an Elantra GLS, a Protege LX and Protege ES recently. (I think the only difference between the GLS and GT is the body style and suspension-- I know for sure the engines are the same.)

I noticed that the Elantra GT seemed to have quite a bit of body roll on turns-- more than the Elantra GLS for some reason (perhaps due to the different suspension or body shape-- I drove the GT hatchback, not the GT sedan). On the other hand, the Protege LX seemed to handle the turns really well-- it made me want to find the twisties just for the fun of it! The handling was surprisingly similar to my Audi A4, and I certainly wasn't expecting that when I took the test drive. It was one of the things I really enjoyed about driving the Protege. I also noticed that the Protege had a bit more pep than the Elantra. While the Elantra has more hp compared to the Protege (135 vs. 130 I think-- I'm doing this off the top of my head, so the figures may be a little off), the Protege achieves max torque at lower rpms (4000, I think, versus 4800 for the Elantra-- again, the figures may be a bit off). I think this contributes to its peppy ride. The curb weights I think are very close-- within a few pounds of each other, so it's not like the Elantra is lugging a lot more weight around. The Protege was definitely more fun to drive for me.

I have read reviews of the Protege where people have complained of overly loud engine noise or wind noise on the highway-- I did not notice this to be the case. And I don't remember if the Elantra or the Protege was louder on the freeway. Whatever noise they made, it didn't make an impression on me. I did find the suspension on the Elantra GT to be a bit stiffer than the Protege LX-- but I think the GT makers were looking to give a more 'sporty' ride.

This year's Consumer Reports rates Hyundai Elantra with an 'average' reliability rating, which is an improvement over previous years, while Mazda Protege makes their 'recommended' list and ranks as more reliable than the Elantra (though it doesn't quite rank as well in reliability according to CR as the Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic).

On the other hand, Hyundai offers a super warranty (5 yr/50k bumper to bumper and 10/100k powertrain). Certainly hard to beat that warranty, though the Mazda warranty (4/48k bumper to bumper?? Again, not looking this stuff up since it's LATE and I'm typing fast) is not too shabby either.

I ended up deciding on an Elantra GLS over the Protege LX only because the Mazda dealer couldn't get me the car I wanted. Also, the Elantra GLS was $1500 less than what I was going to pay for the Protege. $1500 buys a lot of Saran Wrap these days you know!

If I had been looking at the Hyundai and the Mazda side by side, and if the prices had been the same (and I could have gotten the car I wanted), for sure I would have gone with the Mazda Protege. No question. It was just so much more fun to drive, and I trust their reliability more than Hyundai.

As it is, I've 'gone Korean' as the board says, and will probably take delivery of my Elantra GLS on Monday.

Sorry this is so long, but those were my impressions of the two cars-- good luck with your decision!
    P.S. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but if it gets cold in the winter where you are like it gets cold here in CT, you may not be happy with the Elantra GT leather seats-- I don't think you can get seat heaters on the GT, and leather (and vinyl) in winter is VERY, VERY cold. It is also very sticky and hot in the summertime. IMHO.
    You should actually READ the problems, not just count how many posts there are - because there were quite a few saying "Gee, there are no posts on this Problems board, let's write something"...

I've had my PRO ES for 2yrs and I drove an Elantra sedan before buying it. I didn't like how it drove one bit - leaned A LOT in corners, didn't feel like a small car (not too easy to drive), the interior felt CHEAPO (at least when compared to the black sporty one on the ES).

I don't regret one bit buying this car because it still does something only a 98 A4 3.0 5spd did for me - makes me smile when I drive it. No other car in this price segment delivers this much exhilaration, even though some are faster or have more hi-tech engines (VVT-i, etc).

If I had to buy a new small car today, considering the offerings have not really changed since 2001, I would still buy a PRO in ES or P5 trim, BUT I would add a sunroof on the P5 and the Canadian GT package on the ES.

Dinu

PS: Mazda = smiles/miles
    I recall the leather felt thin and weak. There were tears in the door lining material of a few Elantra GTs that I sat in. I guess the pleather they use isn't fabric-backed, so tears rather easily.

The leather in the Mazda (optional) feels much thicker but is stiff.

Not that it matters much to me, I prefer cloth anyway.
    I looked at every feasible ("import") car known to man before deciding on the Protege. I drove the Toyota Corolla, Matrix, Camry; Mitsu Galant, Lancer and Outlander; Nissan Sentra, Altima, Maxima; Subaru Legacy; VW Jetta, Passat and Mazda Protege and 6 (the 6 is my second choice!). I avoided the Hyundai because of some experiences some of my friends and co-workers have had...they have gotten better with age, but I'm still a little wary of them.

I liked the Pro because of the price, fun factor, economy, options, better warranty than Honda, Toyota, Mitsu, and dealer experience. Plus, I have to have a car with tight steering and great brakes...Pro is the best of ANYTHING I drove. Also, I did a lot of research into parts replacements and the cost factor. I drive about 36,000-40,000/year so, for instance, a timing belt will need to be replaced at the 1 3/4 year mark for me. My Mitsu has a interference engine so if the belt breaks BEFORE you get a chance to replace it, your engine may too...not too good! :) The Protege has the "old school" timing belts (non-interference) that, if they break, the car will just stop...no engine damage. It was little things like that that made my decision.

I have yet to see how it will perform during the extreme winter in Buffalo when it returns "home" in two weeks from Wisconsin...I'm hopeful though!

As dinu mentioned, the problem posts for the Protege are a joke...some complained about "anemic air conditioning", which I don't find to be the case, and road noise. I wanted a car with some type of road noise so that didn't scare me off. Others mentioned that it would be nice to have a remote trunk release...true, but doesn't hinder the driveability of the car! If you really want to see some horrific posts, go to the Jetta/Passat board....Yikes! All in all, Mazdas are great cars and a little bit misunderstood...another reason why I opted for the Protege...not EVERYONE owns one! Hope this helps?! Good luck with your buying decision.
    How's the PRO in winter? You said you're coming back to Buffalo, so since I'm across the lake in Toronto, I can definitely assure you it drives well in snow. There are many Proteges in Toronto and perhaps even more in Montreal - and there, as we all know, when it snows... it really SNOWS :)

One thing I can tell you - whatever you do, make sure winter doesn't catch you with Bridgestone Potenzas or you'll be trying out for a spot on "Stars on Ice" - I ended up bending a rim and throwing my allignment off. I learned my lesson and bought decent tires soon after - Yoko AVID Touring that do well in snow and in the rain.

Dinu
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I don't know if any of you have visited Weathertech.cm They have a couple of items for dog transporation. One item is a tent. I think this would be more suitable to a van. If anyone has purchased this I'd like to know if it can be used in a small car like the PRO. Our dog transport and general hauling truck is our 82 VW Jetta Diesel with an 18 cft trunk I believe.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Thanks for the feedback on the Elantra. I happend to see a Focus ZTS sedan today and after checking on the web again, it looks like this car is very similar to the Elantra GT and Protege, both in features and price.

If anyone shopped the Focus before buying your Protege, please share your reasons why. Thanks!
    I don't like the Focus' high seating position. The car, just like the Elantra feels larger than it is. I also feel the PRO corners MUCH better and it has a higher quality interior (and less recalls)

And one last thing to think about:

The PRO is "Made in Japan".

Dinu
    Thanks for the input regarding the tires. Were you able to get them at a DunnTire (WNY), Goodyear, Sears, or somewhere like that or will I have to go through Tirerack and order them?? What did you pay??

I guess we'll be neighbors very soon. I used to live in Lewiston, NY right on the Mighty Niagara River and we could actually see the Toronto skyline if conditions were right...that was pretty cool! My winter concerns lie not only with snow, but with the horrific road conditions of WNY. I figure if I can travel the Grand Island bridges, Skyway, I290 and I90 without too many problems, I'll be happy! I don't want to injure the new "baby". :)

Did your mishap occur while on the QEW?? That road is like the Audubon of Canada!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    I avoided the Focus simply because of the recall issues. When they start talking about engine fires, I run in the opposite direction. I would assume that the '03 has been remedied, but the warranty is still that of a Ford...3/36,000. Both the Protege AND Elantra have that beat.

And as dinu mentioned, the Protege is Japanese...97% according to the sticker. That fact alone sold me!
    Just curious, have you driven the Elantra GT, Protege LX or the Focus ZTS yet? Researching on the web is great, always good to go into a dealership as informed as possible, but there's nothing like a test drive to really cement one's feelings about a car.

If you are still researching cars with similar price/features to the Elantra & Protege, you could also check out the Nissan Sentra GXE. I drove it (and hated it) but not all others feel this way towards it.

The 'made in Japan' aspect of the Protege was also a draw for me. Not many 'Japanese' cars these days are actually made over there.
    It occurs while making a right-hand turn from a residential street on to another at 20km/h. The car just went forward while the wheels were turned.

I got the tires at Tire Depot in Toronto - by far the best prices in town. They have EVERY brand you can think of and in sizes other shops haven't heard of. Don't forget there is a 15% sales tax up here, so ask them for the final price with the tires mounted and balanced, including taxes.

http://tiredepot.com/
    (888) 882-8473

You might as well call them when you're ready. If you're thinking of going to T.O. for a day, it might be a good opportunity to make a big-ticket purchase that Canada/US Customs won't notice. And make sure you keep the bill but hide it well :)

As for the QEW, it's fast in some sections, but there are so many pigs hiding (OPP - Ontario Provincial Police), that it's best to go with traffic.

Dinu
    Annoyed at our ridiculous speed limits.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    "Ford is extending part of its warranty on the 2003 Focus to offset consumer worries about quality and better compete with other small cars.
    The Focus' extended warranty covers the engine and transmission, roadside assistance and towing for five years or 100,000 miles and is transferable to another owner if the vehicle is sold."

"Ford says problems are concentrated in the 2000 and 2001 model years, and that warranty repairs on 2002 models were down 44% from 2000 models."

In addition the 2003 Focus sold in CA, vT, MA, NY gets the same new 2.3L Mazda engine as in the Mazda6 (but without VV-T).
    The rest of the states will get that engine with 2004 models.

"Partial-zero emissions (PZEV) Ford Focus in California, New York, Massachusetts and Vermont beginning in early 2003, made possible by an all-new global I-4 engine. The new 2.3-liter engine is available in Focus nationally this fall. An all-new 2.0-liter engine, based on same engine architecture, will be available in the spring of 2004."

And don't forget about the huge rebates...
    $3000 off makes the PZEV (2.3L) Focus a true bargain.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Yes, all those recalls issued for the early N.A. Focus models turned a lot of customers away.
    Which is such a shame because the Focus produced everywhere else has earned a very good reputation for quality and overall performance.

"Ford’s Saarlouis plant employs around 7,000 people and manufactures the com-pany’s most successful model in Europe.
    Approximately 2.4 million Ford Focus models have been sold across European since its launch in 1998.
    The Ford Focus has been Britain’s best-selling new car since 1999 and achieved third place overall among Europe's Top Ten best-sellers for the first time ever in 2002.
    It was also in 2002 that the Ford Focus achieved true global status, following its introduction to the Australian market, when it was available on all five continents for the first time.
    Worldwide production facilities for the Ford Focus are Saarlouis (Germany), Valen-cia (Spain), Wayne, Michigan (USA), Hermosillo (Mexico), Pacheco (Argentina) and, since July 2002, St. Petersburg (Russia)."
    I drove the Focus ZX3 and ZTS before I purchased my 2001 ES Protege. One of the things that turned me off at the time were horrible seat construction. It was like having to sit with a broom handle across my back like my grandmother always used to threaten me when I was younger. Also, the center console got in the way of my right knee while driving. Handling, braking, and steering were good, but not Protege ES good. Fit and finish was way below the Protege. I rode in a UK spec Focus on September 11, 2001 of all days on the way to the engineering office I was setting up for my former employer. The ride and fit & finish were a world better than the US Foci I had driven. I am not sure why Europe gets so many good cars compared to the US, but it was evident while I was there that every car I rode in was better than its US counterpart including the Focus, Mondeo, and Golf.
  • telltomtelltom Member Posts: 4
    glad to read your post. I too was considering the Focus. I had a 98 Contour and it was ok except the dealer screwed up the front end with a spring recall . After the spring change it felt very soft. I'm glad i bought a 00 ES instead. Don't have to deal with so many recalls and the ES is a better handler for sure. I put a 1000 miles on it so far, and the more i drive it the more i like it.
    Thanks for the advice and the link. I'll definitely do some homework when I get back to New York. As for now, packing is my main worry...I look at everything and think to myself "do I take the time to wrap it or just chuck it out and buy new later??" :) That's my life for the next week!
    For the record, the Mazda warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles, not 4/48K.

Got to sit and poke around in an RX-8 Saturday, and my wife and I filled out the entry forms to win one (yeah, when pigs fly!). Anyway, I was very impressed by the "fit" of the RX-8 -- plenty of room even for big guys like me -- although the chrome triangles on the seats have to go. The rest of the car is awesome, and I really couldn't believe the back seat room and trunk space considering what kind of car this is.

Realistically, though, unless I win one, I really think a loaded 6S 5-speed is going to be my next car -- but probably a 2006 model, so who knows what it'll look like by then. And I am waiting for the 3 to see if it's any bigger and if that 2.3-liter engine makes it more powerful. If so, I might change my mind and look hard at a 3 for the Zoomster replacement.

Some scary news -- I got in Zoomster this morning and started him up -- we went on a trip to Northern Virginia Saturday (sorry Ashu, it was a spur of the moment decision) and Zoomster sat in the driveway all day Sunday. When I started him up this morning he idled very weirdly -- like he was missing -- but settled down once I got going. I am at 60,300 miles now, and it's time for new plugs and (this is where I'm putting my money) wires. I just may be doing it a little sooner than I'd planned! (But no worries -- 100K warranty!)

Meade
    I tried out the Focus AFTER I bought my Protege (I have a '99).

I didn't drive a ZTS. It's supposed to corner more flatly than the other Foci. I think the one I drove (LX trim, I think) was too tippy in corners, for my liking, anyway. I also found the seats to be very uncomfortable and the controls took more time getting used to (mostly due to the oval cut lines in the dash...not the controls layout itself). I also could not find a decent position for the steering wheel, even though it offers telescoping, which the Protege does not. I could not pull it as close as I would like (I have a similar beef with the Corolla).

If you're looking for a small wagon, and you want to maximize cargo space, the Focus wagon can carry more than a P5. That is, if you find the seating and driving position comfortable for you. YMMV.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "And I am waiting for the 3 to see if it's any bigger and if that 2.3-liter engine makes it more powerful."

The 2.3L engine will make it way more powerful. You don't need to wait and see about that, I know that. It may only look like a 30 hp difference on paper, but the 2.3L actually makes 30 more hp AT THE WHEELS than the 2.0L. My 6i is faster than my Protege was and it weighs about 400 lbs more. It gets the same gas mileage as my Protege did too. So look for the Mazda3 with the 2.3L to be much faster than the Protege 1.8/2.0 cars AND it should get better mileage and be much more relaxed on the freeway.