Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    My car came with the trunk spoiler attached from the factory, and it uses LEDs. The newer models with the spoiler got a different parcel shelf that didn't include the redundant window light, but we poor 2000 owners have both -- the spoiler with the LEDs, and the brake light in the window, although the window light is disabled at the factory.

I was surprised, a couple of years ago when I got curious and popped the cover off, to find that all they'd done to "disable" the window light was unplug its pigtail. Mine even had a bulb in it! For a while I plugged it back in and used both just for fun, but then I started worrying about current loads and that sort of thing and unplugged it again.

I feel the need to make use of this unused accessory on my Protege. I've thought about replacing the red lens with a little cutout of a middle finger and running a switch to the dashboard or something like that ... or maybe a little "zoom" word that I can make appear after I cut someone off on the highway?

Suggestions anyone?

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Put a Zoom in that spot and put a switch on the dash. At night it would look cool pushing it on and off as you go past people.
    ... or was it a thinly veiled attempt at humor, Raymond?

Or, should I say, Rain Man?

:)

Meade
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    One of my spoiler brake lights just went out today! Meade...I'm a bit envious...mine is a 2001 ES with 28,000 miles; yours is 2000 with 70,000 and no bulb replacement. I think my car is just getting acclimated to being free of the wretched woman who owned it before...I mean a cigarette burned door (that I got fixed); mud stained rear seats (that I got cleaned); wrongly sized brakes (that I got replaced with Mazda parts), etc. The Pro has never had it so good!

Dinu...thanks for the tire info. I will be looking into it shortly.

Garth
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Glad you "rescued" that poor Protege.

Some folks just don't know how to take care of their stuff.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    of our Pros, I got a Shark vaccum cleaner the other day for cleaning the floor mats and carpeting, works like a charm. The Shark is small and easy to handle inside the car. It has a short attachment hose, unlike upright big vacs, and plenty of power. With home vacs you find yourself fighting the cord and the hose trying to move it around. Some places have The Shark for $19.99.

fowler3
    ... for $40. It's a small one but just as powerful as the biggies, and it does equally good work cleaning our kitchen floor! I found it wonderful for sucking up water from floor mats after a snowstorm and all the melted snow from our feet. Compared to every other vacuum I've used for the car, including some "home" canister vacs, this little Shop Vac runs circles around them. It's just as powerful as one of those do-it-yourself car wash vacs, but its hose ISN'T the size of your leg and it has plenty of attachments for those hard-to-reach areas -- plus the wet/dry capability. Long cord too. I highly recommend it.

Meade
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Anyone else find it impossible to get into mymazda? I registered when I bought the car but everytime I enter my email address it takes me to some silly page that asks for more registration. What the?

I simply wanted to find out what bolts I need to affix my license plate. I tried buying some at Lowe's but that was a joke as the bolts were at least an inch long and totally useless.
  • testytesty Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a unique problem. I am contemplating a used Mazda LX equipped with a pkg no longer available- spoiler- power moonroof, etc.

Is there anyone here that has this type of Mazda pkg? I'm not sure as to how to pay for it.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I own a pair of 2000 Mazda PRO-ES with closely matching mileage and approximately the same use. After 4 years of ownership they both have about 69,650 miles on the odies.

My spouse's PRO-ES had the OEM plug wire set replaced at no-charge under warranty at 44,370 miles by Lancaster Toyota-Mazda. Our service rep said the were prematurely corroded.

I had them replace the OEM plug wire set in my PRO-ES at 65,176 miles. Lancaster Toyota-Mazda charged me $92.82. A bit steep $$$! I honestly didn't notice a difference in performance. I just felt it was time to replace them.

Both cars at 4 years/70,000 miles are still enjoyable, great looking and very roomy for small sedans. IMHO, the 1999-2000 Protege ES were by far the best small sedans available.

-lovetrain
    Larry, I don't see how you COULDN'T see a difference in performance. Maybe that big butt of yours is just a little too cushy. (HEY HEY, don't send me a nastygram -- we're good friends!!!!)

:D

I just had the whole shebang done -- oil change, brake fluid change, coolant flush, new plugs, new wires, new air filter, etc., etc. -- and Zoomster is very noticeably smoother and faster. I can already tell this tank of gas is going to get me about 2-3 mpg more than the last one.

I find it interesting that ANYONE would replace plug wires under warranty! I don't feel 45K is premature at all -- you done good, lovetrain!

Heh heh on what you paid -- I bought 'em myself and installed them for less than half that, and it took about five minutes. But the record time was the air filter -- anyone who PAYS to have this thing changed is nuts! Snap, snap, pull old one, plop in new one, snap, snap! I believe I completed the job -- which included a quick wipe of the compartment with a damp rag -- in about 40 seconds. Definitely under a minute.

And to think they'll charge you a quarter-hour's labor (what's that these days, 20 bucks?) for that 40 seconds of intense work.

Four and a half hours from a five-hour zoom to Charlotte (can you tell I'm excited?),

Meade
  • hatethetireshatethetires Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Protege LX. Hit a nail, and lost a tire. I don't like the doughnut spare, and since RE92s are expensive, and I think I'm going to replace with 2 Sumitomo tires (also 195/55/15s). Here's my question: Is the 2003 Protege LX wheel well in the trunk big enough to fit a full-size spare?
    Did you ever think to look at the spare? It's probably too narrow.

You lost the tire to a nail? How far did you drive with it flat?

I picked up a nail in a tire in January, have no idea how long it was in there. Noticed it was getting flat and pumped it up, then I noticed the nail. Got it repaired the next day, tire place was closed on Sunday.

fowler3
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Take off one of your wheels and see if it will fit in the trunk tire well.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    answer is NO
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I owned a Suzuki Alto(made in Japan) from 1987 to 1997.
    No burned bulbs for all those years.
    Prior to that I owned a Morris Minor offshoot, that had to have bulbs replaced every six months or so.
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    As an unbiased observsor ['99 pro es], I agree completely with your conclusion. I just can't understand why every1 is always driving so slowly!

ZoomZoom
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    I was very impressed with the protege and wanted to get one but I found it was almost impossible to get one with both ABS and a 5 spd. This was January. Was this solely the result of the closeout or has it always been a little like this?
    I remember reading somewhere that it was difficult to get one with ABS. Also, the dealerships did not quite seem as professional as some of the Honda dealerships I frequented. Is this usually the case?

Went with the Civic 04 Ex. Not as comfortable and doesn't handle as well. However it does feel rock solid, gets great mileage, has a smooth clutch and is a great car for my purposes (mostly commuting, not so much driving for pleasure).

Still......the pro would have been a nice choice. I actually like the styling more than the 3. I don't know why all of the car makers are in such a rush to cut off the drivers vision! Protege had great visibility.

_marc
    Only in the '99-'00 model years, and only if you removed the stand-offs they welded onto the floor of the spare-wheel well to hold up the temporary spare at the right height. This is probably a modification to the Japan-market version which could be equipped with AWD (thus requiring a full-size spare). However, Proteges for NA are FWD only, so they spec'd them with the small temp spares and welded-in the brackets.

One of the changes for the '01 and later years was an increase of the fuel tank's capacity. They did this mainly by making the spare tire well shallower, so there's no way a full-size spare will fit into it. Sorry.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Yeah it is hard to find ABS on the PRO. Also with Honda they have alot more customers than Mazda does so maybe thats probably why the dealership experience varied. Still, there are good dealers and bad dealers all around. Thats one thing about Mazda thats bad: crazy option packages.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

We'll be testing your knowledge with some Mazda-related trivia questions this week, so be prepared! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I always thought the 1.8 liter engine, coupled with the lower gross weight of the 1999 - 2000 Protege ES prolly had the best low speed torque, (ZOOM ZOOM Factor) at that time! They ES didn't cost a lot (got both mine loaded for $15,250ish)and talk about shoulder, hip and head room in a small sedan.....butter!!!

-Larry
    You say you needed butter to get into the car?

Meade
    Anyone else know if there are any benefits to using a K&N Air Filter over the stock one? The thiev...I mean employees at Mazda tried to put a $30 air filter in my Pro last week when I got an oil change. After I refused the air filter, suddenly my 15 minute oil change took over an hour as they were "waiting for a part."

anyway, any word on the K&N filter for the Pro?

Also, kinda off the mark but are there any reliable, warrantied turbos or superchargers for the Pro? My engine's lack of punch is driving me nuts suddenly.
    Thanks for the info.
    Chikoo: I had a 1951 Morris Minor when I was in the USAF in Europe, long time ago. I don't recall replacing bulbs. What English cars in the 50's required was complete engine rebuild at 50,000 miles. I am glad they "don't make them like they use to." The engine was 51hp. Tires didn't last long either, but they were cheap -- like $25 to $35 each. I use to buy retreads for $20 plus the tubes.

fowler3
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    blueguydotcom,

Main advantage is the reusability/economy of the filter. I have one since my 2000 ES was new and the power claims and gains are minimal. If you are doing it for the HP, get a AEM short ram for ~ 189.00, you'll pick up about 5 hp, the K&N filter alone is roughly 1-2 HP.

Regards,

Pete
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Chikoo, please check your email - thanks.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    It seems I missed some good posts since we're missing a few :)

BTW, Hi Pat! :)

Dinu
    Where is everybody?

Hi Pat_HOST!

fowler3
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi to you also. As to where everyone is, I found you two over in Mazda3 talking about the Protege as a matter of fact. :D
    Pat's been spying on us lately :)

Dinu
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    Yep, they come out with a new model and nobody cares anymore.
    It's going to be 73F here today. Good time to zoom.

fowler3
    Went out for lunch today and took and additional 10 minutes to Zoom. Haven't done that lately but it was sunny and nice so I took the long way around.

I can't wait for the roads to get cleared of all the winter gravel. As it is now, all my back roads are a bit dangerous.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    when I bought my Protege they simply added the $500 grad rebate along with the $1000 cash back they were running back then and subtracted from the final sales price.

I got all the discounts in before I even drove it off the lot!
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    when I bought my Protege, the $500 grad discount came off the final sales price. I always thought that rebates and discounts came off of the price right away, at least that's how it's been for me with the Protege and Mazda6. I've never heard of anyone getting a check in the mail for rebates or discounts on vehicles.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Signed up for Rev It Up at Arlington on Sunday.
    at the time of the deal, you won't get it. Mail-in rebates are for cameras and computer stuff and on those they hope buyers will forget to send them in.

fowler3
    it's time to go.

I just couldn't get over the ragtop bug that's been pestering me since I gave up my Sunfire for the P5.

Last night the wife and I drove past the Chrysler dealership and stopped in to see the PT ragtop. We had liked the PT back when we bought the Protege and now that it doesn't have a roof it has become that much more appealing.

So we drove it, pulled it in the garage to put the top down, and started dealing. Much to my surprise they were easy to deal with and we ended up signing the papers.

We'll be picking up our Midnight Blue Pearl GT ragtop Saturday morning. I'll miss the P5 but only until that first sunny day when I'm cruising topless!

And before you ask, yes I was upside down in the Progege, but some decisions aren't based purely on money.
    Enjoy many sunny days in your cruiser.
    So no more PRO?

Enjoy the Cruiser. A convertible is always fun in the sun.

Dinu
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Happy April Fool's Day to you, too!
    you'd have to believe it was a little believable.
    It's snowing!
    Your only mistake was, you only reported this incident on Edmunds. Had you shared it everywhere you yack about Proteges, a few more of us might've been roped in.

(Well, that and your choice of car to allegedly have purchased kinda gave your story a paul of incredulity.)

Meade
    "kinda gave your story a paul of incredulity."

ROTFLMAO!!! I was thinking the same thing!

PT Cruiser = Pittsburg Topless Cruiser. LOL!

fowler3
    ... kinda helped, too.

Meade
    As long as I brought you a bit of amusement.
    Just set up my 30k mile service for next Thursday. Can't wait to see what I get for a rental car. Can't say I have any major complaints on my way to 30k miles. Clutch chatter aside, I've not had a problem with the car. It still looks pretty good too, except for the big scratch I put on the drivers door. About the only thing I really don't like is the lack of an aux input the high cost of a cassette add on. I'm about tired of switching frequencies on my fm thingamabob.