Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Lawman, you beat me...I bought my pro at the end of nov (30th actually) and it has over 10k miles on it.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    I take a round-trip drive from Los Angeles to San Jose every month for the reserves, that extra 800 mile trip really adds up, but is a lot of fun in the twisty bits (Grapevine and Pacheco Pass).
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    My 2000 ES will be four years old on May 24. Just crossed 74,000 miles.

"I visit a lot of forums and this one seems to be more prone to accidents than any of them. It's just an observation."

Here's my observation -- I visit a lot of discussions too, and from what I see, most of the people in those other discussions are either new owners, comparison shoppers, or people who recently bought the car. Seldom do you find people who keep posting for years as their car ages. This discussion is a little different from most, as I'm sure Pat will confirm. We're more of a family here, and we discuss a lot of stuff -- often going wayyyyy off topic -- as again I'm sure Pat will confirm.

How many discussions do you read where people are comparing high mileage? Larry just traded his two 71,000-mile 2000 ES's for a pair of Pontiac Vibes, so while his posts are slacking off now, he used to be quite the regular here. And yes, he hit a deer or two in a combined 142,000 miles, especially since he lives in rural Pennsylvania and commutes 20 miles each way to work at really late hours as a Cracker Barrel manager.

I had a brush with a deer who actually ran into my left rear wheel after bounding out of the woods one morning before sunrise on a state road beside a state forest in my rural/suburban area. No damage other than some blood on my wheel! I also had some kid in an Accord thump my rear end when he wasn't looking where he was going early one rainy morning. I don't think that's too bad a history for four years and 74,000 miles -- way longer than most people keep cars these days.

You probably read about this kind of stuff more here than elsewhere because we really like our cars, we talk about them, and more importantly, we keep them and discuss them as they age. I plan to keep mine well past the 100K mark since it's gone 3/4 of that way with nary a problem. Yeah, it's got a chip or two in the paint on the hood, and it ain't quite as glitzy as a new car, but hey -- it's paid off, it's running great, and the more I dog the hell out of it, the more it keeps coming back asking for more. I love this car. The fact that I have a 100,000-mile extended warranty doesn't hurt either!

Meade

P.S. The fruits of being a preferred customer pay off -- After 13 years and five new vehicles from the same dealership, you get a few perks. I'm getting one this weekend. Zoomster is spending tonight and Saturday at the dealership while I ride around in a brand-new Mazda3!
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And there are a few long termers in the SI room. There are others. But whatever.
    Meade
    But they don't drive through herds of deer either.:)
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "But they don't drive through herds of deer either"

That's like saying someone who's car was hit by a meteor should stop driving through meteor showers.

I've hit two deer, both of them in Mazdas, and both times the deer ran right in front of my car. There really is nothing you can do to be 100% safe from deer short of moving somewhere where there are no deer. If you live and drive in an area with lots of deer, chances are you'll hit one sooner or later.
    I'd better stop driving through all those rock quarries!!!

Meade
    You hear it every day...CAR HIT BY METEOR!!!....

Actually if it were to happen, it would happen in the Protege room. LOL

If you "enthusiasts" would slow down in the rock quarries, it would probably save your windshield. Since you guys love your cars so much. Doncha know.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Let's see...

~300 miles: apartment window falls on my ES; chips and dings in the hood, trunk, and several side panels

~400 miles: Crunch! goes the tail pipe on a high curb

~1,000 miles: '89 Toyota collides with driver's side corner; car "repaired" with parts re-installed upside down. I raise a fuss and they turn them right-side up.

~15,000: I pull a Starsky and Hutch and go off a REALLY high curb (Hey, it was dark! I could have sworn that was a driveway!) Car goes crack a couple of times, but mechanics swear only damage is a "very scuffed" undercarriage.

~20,000: Radiator replaced under warranty. Related to high-curb incident? The world may never know.

~25,000: Close encounter with another high curb in the dark; right side rocker panel slightly re-designed. (Hey, it was dark!)

~30,000: Apartment window screen falls from several floors up; scrapes and dents on rear pillar.

Maybe I need to move out of the city. What's the worst that could happen to me in the suburbs? Some deer and meteors??
    Reminds me of our "rollaway Civic". Boy were we glad to get rid of that thing.
    I don't want to get rid of my Protege...in spite of all our adventures, I think it's a great car!! :)
    We just refuse to drive a car with paintwork.

We have our fifth Civic Si.
    2 2000's, 2 2002's, and my current 2003.

We like Accords too
    1 1999 EX sedan, 1 2001 EX-V6 coupe, 1 03 EX-L coupe, and one 04 EX-L sedan.

I think my next car is gonna be that Subaru Legacy GT unless Honda puts out a 4WD V6 Accord.
    You might want to buy a 3 with xenon lights...sounds like there might be a night vision issue.
    "Yeah....Those meteors are all over."

Meteor showers are more common than seeing a "herd" of deer crossing the road. I live in MN and I have NEVER seen more than a couple deer crossing the road at the same time. It's not often that cars get hit by meteors, but it does happen:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/03/28/meteor.shower.ap/

My point was that hitting a deer is bad luck and there usually isn't anything you can do to prevent it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that more people in Civics (cause there's more of them) have hit deer than Proteges, you just don't hear about it on townhall.
    "I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that more people in Civics (cause there's more of them) have hit deer than Proteges, you just don't hear about it on townhall."

My point exactly. I remember a couple years ago about three Pros hit deer in a couple months span. Heard about em all right here in this limited forum. Uncanny.

I bet at least one of the cars damaged by the meteor was a Protege. LOL...
    A couple years ago, one of those Proteges was mine. I hit a deer in my Protege. Speaking of hitting deer and bad luck, have any of you seen this before?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/durango.asp

This happened about 4 miles away from where I live. I drive on 394 everyday on the way to work and back.
    We could come up with plenty.

No googling necessary in this room though. Stuff just happens to you guys all by itself. Maybe it's not the cars. Maybe it's the owners.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Its kind of funny. When they see your coming right at them they just stand there. One way the deer move out of your path when you are driving is if you flick your headlights on and off. Its funny the deer don't see a big piece of metal coming at them but flicking the headlights on and off just scare the living heck out of them. Deer are beautiful animals but the have no street smarts(no pun intented on that one.)

As for Protege's and Civic's hitting maybe deer just find Civic's and Protege's cute looking cars.

I hit a cat while driving my Mazda 626 once.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    ~1,000 miles: '89 Toyota collides with driver's side corner; car "repaired" with parts re-installed upside down. I raise a fuss and they turn them right-side up.

You are lucky -- some technicians would have turned all the other parts upside down and then flipped the car over. ;)

fowler3
    Didn't you leave out something?

Window-related? At a traffic light?

You're probably the only one of us to have had an, er, "unwanted" object smash a side window ...

Meade
    ...I forgot about my windows.

~12,000: The dealer changes the oil, changes the wiper blades, and cracks the windshield. They replace the windshield.

~18,000: Thug smashes my passenger side window and grabs my purse while I'm at a red light.

~30,000: Thug smashes my rear quarter window overnight and takes a bunch of stuff he'll never be able to use, and about 65 CD's. >:-[ (And before you all start hollering at me about leaving stuff in my car, I wasn't parked out on the street...I was parked in my building's "secure" lot.)
    I keep nothing in my car and I stopped carrying a purse after the third beating. Can't a man feel like a man and still carry a purse?

I've found I can leave any of my cars unlocked and nobody bothers with them. But then again, there's nothing in my cars! You're lucky to find 6 CDs. Why only 6? that's all my changer will hold, so why carry more?

Seriously , I've left my old Jetta with the windows and moonroof open all day many times while I was at the ocean in Pacific Beach (an area known for frequent thefts and all manner of hooliganism). nobody ever stole anything. ever. Not even the car - which was my hope.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    So shiny and sparkly. :)

But someone put another door ding into it (dang!!!). Probably blinded by the reflections off my bright red Pro.

And to keep the peace at home, I washed and de-tarred my wife's P5 too, though I think the silver doesn't sparkle as much. :)
    Took advantage of the sunny, mild, 75-degree day and spent a few hours putting a new coat of Meguiar's Gold Class on Zoomster.

Sparkly and smooth as glass, and more deep, reflective Emerald Mica'ey than ever!!!

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    for you to wash and wax my P5!

Where o' where do you find 4 hours for your car. I just can't seem to do it.
    I dunno ... but it was time well spent!

Meade
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    My car hasn't been washed in 2 months. I have a good excuse though. It's name is Leon and he is 5 weeks old. Thank goodness my car is silver.
    It cost me $21.50 to fill up my Protege yesterday!!!

Meade
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    My 03 DX automatic came back from the body shop Tuesday afternoon, and I'm delighted to say that there is no evidence whatsoever that it was rear-ended by a semi. The paint is perfect, there are no squeeks and rattles (at least none that weren't there before the crash) and everything appears as the day I bought the car.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Slide underneath and examine where the bumper cover meets the metal impact absorber. All new? Did they put new foam padding between the two?

As long as it's someone else's dime, make sure they didn't cut any corners on your future safety!

Meade

P.S. Oh lord, I'm sounding very entitlement-American today!
    we paid $22 for 12 gallons of gas.
    When I first bought the car in May 2000, I was able to fill it up for about $11.50! Gotta love those "by the seat of your pants" gas prices!

Meade
    Back when Gee and I first met (1995) gas was $.69-$.89 per gallon here in GA. That same $22 fill-up yesterday would have only cost about $9.00.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    over on the Tivo Forums. Someone asking for used car reccomendations and of course most posts center on Honda.

Me: "I'd look at a Mazda Protege. Great little car, incredibly reliable and fun to drive. It will cost less than a used Honda of the same year which in turn could allow you to buy a newer car"

Following we get:

"2nd the protege as well. I've got a Protege 5` with no problems what so ever but it is only 2 years old. I've seen/heard of protege engines lasting 200K+ miles and still running smooth as ever!"

and

"Look at a use Mazda Protege. Mazdas are just as reliable as Hondas and Toyotas (my family has several of them with more than 150K miles), but for some reason don't have the reputation. As a result they have a wicked first-year depreciation, but a really high value as a used car.

(I've bought two used Mazdas, a Protege and a Miata. This last Saturday I bought my first NEW card, a Mazda MPV.)"

and just for a laugh, I'll throw ya this one.

"I don't know what they sell for, but look at used Jettas (1999.5 and above)...they are quite reliable and I LOVE mine!"
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    try $30 for my RX-7!!! :-O
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    My Protege has been problem free. I can easily recommend it. I'm also a VW owner and have owned 5 of them and currently own a Jetta TDI Wagon.
    My experience with VW has been very good with only a few problems. Had more problems with my 02 Honda Si than any new vehicle I've ever purchased.
    Since the Jetta will obtain 48 mpg with $1.52 gallon diesel I'm driving it this week. Protege is in garage.
    Anyway, as a Mazda fan, VW fan, Toyota fan and yes I truly like Honda also, I'm surprised at how many times VW and Jetta in particular are attacked or made fun of at Edmunds.
    is the parking brake issue with our last EP hatch. We've owned three of them. The one I have now is a gem even though I've put eibachs on it and 17" wheels. I guess there a bad one of anything. But no point going on and on about it.

When I was driving cars for Carmax, the only make that I drove that had more problems than VW was Ford. I wouldn't recommend a VW to my worst enemy. Unless they were rich and loved to drive.

I could recommend a Protege though. I have in fact recommended Protege to a few people. They are a steal used. And for the 90% of people that stay below 80 mph they are great driving cars.
    It cost me $21.50 to fill up my Protege yesterday!!!

Egad, i could do that if I only put in 9 gallons of gas!

A usual fillup for me runs about $30 right now.

I could recommend a Protege though. I have in fact recommended Protege to a few people. They are a steal used. And for the 90% of people that stay below 80 mph they are great driving cars.

I'd suggest it too, for a commuter. It's a lousy roadtrip car though. Loud, no power, bad gas mileage at 85+.
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    87 octane is $2.20/gal here. My friend's hybrid civic is looking mighty good. It's off the line punch is actually pretty good [5 spd]. The new prius looks pretty good outside, but that centered dash is bad.
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    Where do you drive? Here, speeding tickets would cost much more than gas. i just paid $150 for 58 in a 45mph zone.
    Where do you drive? Here, speeding tickets would cost much more than gas. i just paid $150 for 58 in a 45mph zone.

The freeway. My last drive to AZ my Protege got around 24 mpg at a steady 85. Juxtapose that to last week when I made a trip to vegas in my other car averaging over 90 mph with runs into the mid 120s for stretches. Gas mileage came in at 26. The ride home at a fairly stead 75-100 netted 30 mpg.

Speeding tickets? It's been 1 speeding ticket in 14 years of driving for me. Keep alert, stay ahead of him and it's tough for johnny law to catch you.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "I'd suggest it too, for a commuter. It's a lousy roadtrip car though. Loud, no power, bad gas mileage at 85+."

I disagree!! It depends on how you drive, the roads, and the weather.

My first trip in my 2001 Protegé LX was on US 220 in Virginia, a great highway with sweaping S-turns through hill country, a few grades with breathtaking vistas that plunge straight down into vallies. The Pro hung into those curves like it was on rails. On the second leg, through middle Virginia with views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and beautiful farmland, the Pro cruised nicely.

I had dreaded the trip thinking the Pro would be tiring to drive; it wasn't, it was a joy considering it was a 430-mile day trip getting me back home at 9:00PM. I drove at 60mph and got 36mpg!

That trip to Virginia was so much fun, a few months later I drove up there again over the same road just for those curves. Spent an hour going back and forth and then returned home. It takes 90 minutes to get to there.

fowler3
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There's a lot of beautiful country here in Virginia, isn't there Jim? Then again, there's a lot of beautiful country in North Carolina as well. :)
    Our experience was more like Blueguys. Gas mileage was horrendous at higher speeds and the power dropped off noticeably. Around town though, WOW!! there was no better car for dicing lower speed traffic.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    It is only OK for highway driving. High rpm and noisy cabin due to wind and road noise take there toll during a roadtrip. 100 miles or less on highway are fine. Protege is fantastic in mixed driving and in the city.
    As far as 85 mph and greater I can't comment. I drive a lot of 55 mph limit roads and 25 mph over the limit and greater is an automatic suspension of license. Found that out the hard way!
    36 mpg! Wow, have 2.0 and auto and I tried driving steady 60 mph for long trip and obtained 31 mpg. Maybe when the Pro has more miles the mpg will increase.
    I'm amazed at how much space the Pro has for vehicle it's size. Very nicely designed.
    36 mpg! Wow, have 2.0 and auto and I tried driving steady 60 mph for long trip and obtained 31 mpg.

I can't imagine driving 60 mph on anything but surface streets and backroads. I get about 29 doing 80 or so daily for work.

As far as 85 mph and greater I can't comment. I drive a lot of 55 mph limit roads and 25 mph over the limit and greater is an automatic suspension of license. Found that out the hard way!

In CA over 100 mph you get scooped up and the car is impounded. Of course if you're doing over 100, no cop is going to approach you from behind. Keep your eyes open and be ready to brake hard when you see someone sitting near an on/off ramp. Naturally, a radar detector will let you know if he's using electronic means to catch people too - and then you'll get a couple mile warning.
    Blueguy. I've gotten all my tickets after I've SLOWED down do 70-80 and become less vigilant. You can cruise 100 all day if you pay attention to road and terrain conditions.

I popped the SI up to 100 for a few seconds today on the twisty bits near my house. That car is like driving a train. I gotta find myself an autocross circuit.