Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    driving 3-lane and 4-lane highways with all lanes loaded with SUVs and big trucks I don't drive 85mph, I drive the posted speed limits and hang right. Not in a Protegé. At 60mph (5mph under) I have time to react to crazy drivers. My driving is 99% city.

fowler3
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    sure it's no highway cruiser like some people's BMW's, but it is far from "a lousy roadtrip car".

Context is a big part of this argument. If I was driving LA to Vegas, I probably wouldn't want to do it in my Pro. But driving PA to VA it is a great car. Did so recently and had a great time. Didn't find it lacking for power, or being too loud, or being uncomfortable. This drive is constant up and down the mountains and great curvy roads. If you ever get to drive 68 between 79 and 70 you'll have a great time. In 70 MPH speed limit WV, I was driving 75-80 and some of the bends were crazy. Many times I was the only one above 70. Not that other cars couldn't do it, but I don't think most people are comfortable taking some bends at those speeds.

Here is a summary of the recent trip. Given the A/C was on the whole time, it was an extremely hilly drive, had some town driving, and of course I had to stop to eat and ......, I was very pleased with the gas mileage.

The first leg. Harmony, Pa to Fredericksburg, Va. Driving 68 between
    79 and 70 is one fun highway. Much better than the Pa Turnpike.

341 miles/11.02 gallons = 30.94 MPG
    6 hours 30 minutes (including bathroom breaks) = 52.46 MPH average
    85 MPH max speed

The second leg.
    Fredericksburg to Richmond and back.

155 miles/5.15 gallons = 30.09 MPG
    2 hours 30 minutes = 62 MPH average
    87 MPH max speed

Third and final leg. Fredericksburg to home. Had some really bad rain
    in WVa. and almost rear ended a black pickup that didn't have it's
    lights on.
    340.9 miles/11.08 gallons = 30.76 MPG
    6 hours (including lunch break) = 56.82 MPH average
    82 MPH max speed.

--------------------------------------------------
    Totals:
    834.7 miles/27.27 gallons = 30.61 MPG
    15 hours (Including breaks) = 55.65 MPH Average
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    In a Pro isn't bad at all. I've done the trip twice, not to mention LA to San Jose every month, and while the car is no luxury cruiser, so long as speed is kept at 80 or less, it is comfortable, semi quiet (road surface has the most pronounced affect on cabin noise) and always a blast to drive.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "If I was driving LA to Vegas, I probably wouldn't want to do it in my Pro. But driving PA to VA it is a great car......This drive is constant up and down the mountains and great curvy roads."

That sounds like the drive from LA to Vegas. Constant up and down through the high desert mountains.
    "That sounds like the drive from LA to Vegas. Constant up and down through the high desert mountains."

I guess I was under the impression that it would be long and straight. So bad example on my part.

So pick any long and straight drive, and that's where I might not want my Pro. Maybe Kansas or something. I'm trying to remember my cross country trip. But you get the idea.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Which I've done a few times. If we didn't need to make a pitstop half-way, I'd have done it in one stretch each way. The driving position and seat are pretty good for me.

I average about 67mph on such a trip, and I get about 34mpg. I don't like taking it above 80mph. It does get rather noisy (mostly wind). I'm fine with cruising up to about 75mph, if prevailing traffic conditions warrant (as in, I'd get run over if I'm not doing that, like in Detroit), though I do have to turn up the stereo volume.

When cruising around in the 45-55mph range, I get about 38mpg or better (my personal best is 48mpg when cruising around the suburbs of Atlanta). This is with a 1.6L-equipped LX with an AT.

On the flip side, when I use the accelerator a lot in local driving, I've gone down to about 24mpg. Such is the price of fun. :)
    I was just thinking about this today. I looked up at the sign.....$1.99, and then promptly tromped the gas pedal, ran to redline, and did this at every stop. I was just having fun, but it got me to thinking. Even at $2, I don't care too much about my gas mileage. I just drive as I drive. The only time I track gas mileage is on a trip, and I only do it then to have something to write about.

But at what I price to I start to tone down my driving? I hope we don't find out.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The only CA drive I can think of that's mostly flat and straight is I-5 between Buttonwillow and Sacramento (300 miles or so). It's a dreary drive that's made more obnoxious by the constant on-ramps for the evil black and whites to hide near. Driving that highway you wonder why you didn't hop on Southwest and just pay $70 bucks for a roundtrip ticket.

BTW, gas under $2? I haven't seen that since motorcars had 4 speed manuals. Actually, we're hovering around 2.20-2.30 a gallon for 87 octane.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is looking for someone who has financed a new car for longer than 60 months and is still paying for it. Please send your daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 19, 2004.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"I guess I was under the impression that it would be long and straight. So bad example on my part."

I always pictured it to be long and straight through a sandy desert too. Too many movies and TV shows I guess. I just did the drive a couple months ago, and it was nothing like I thought it would be. There are some pretty serious mountains out there, serious enough to still have snow on them at the end of March. It just didn't seem right, 80 degrees, palm trees, and snow capped mountains. The only "mountains" I've seen before that were in PA and NY, so the mountains in CA looked like monsters to me.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    High desert driving is FUN. The little hills and undulations are like a roller coaster at high speed.
    I'll be driving my Pro (2.0 DX Automatic) from Los Angeles to Washington DC at the end of the summer, so I'm sure I'll hit some straight and boring bits. Still, I'm REALLY looking forward to it, and can't think of any other $11,000 car I'd enjoy more on the trip.
    driving solo, try San Diego over the mountains to Deming and Phoenix, AZ. Desert all the way with temps at 120 degrees in the shade. Not a blade of grass or a tree in sight. The roads are straight as an arrow for 3 or 4 hours, a mountain looks like it is only fifteen minutes ahead, you never get to it, the road turns. The only living thing you see is a coyote or a roadrunner. The terrain looks like the moon. The time I made that trip I didn't have A/C.

It was in 1976, a trip from Virginia to California for a weekend with friends -- it took two weeks -- 5-days each way, 10 to 12 hours driving a day.

fowler3
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Hey, let us know when you make that trip! There are quite a few of us within an hour or two's drive of D.C., and some of us just might be crazy enough to zoom up the road and give you a true, East Coast Protege Fanatics' welcome!

Meade
    2000 ES, 75,200 miles and going ZOOOOOOOMMMMMM
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    My message section says the latest posts on these boards are as follows :

Mazda3 Sedan 6/3/04
    Mazda Protegé 5/25/04

Is this possible, that for 6 days no posts in Mazda3, and for 15 days no posts on Mazda Protege? This is most unusual!
    I know my visits have dropped greatly due to the speed of the site. It's just so slow and it get's me frustrated when I'm trying to keep up on over 10 discussions. Well, at least it's easier now since hardly anyone is posting.

But between speed and heavily moderated off topic discussion (like this post)I'll continue to only check back occasionly.
    Well, stop taking so much speed!

Meade
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm told that solving the speed problems of this site is THE top priority. I don't know any more than that, but I can tell you that we are even more painfully aware of the problem than you folks are (because of the volume we read).

Feel free to post comments like this in either the Ask the Town Hall Hosts or the Our Software discussion. Folks who can do something about these issues will see your messages there, but they won't see them here.

In any case, thanks for hanging in here with us.
    been sparse lately. I don't understand what is meant by "speed" since the forums open much faster now that I am on a better computer.

Most of the Canadian posters have migrated to Mazda Canada forum, under Hatchbacks, and a dedicated web site. Some Protegé owners have moved on to the Mazda6 forum and other brands and models.

It's expected, with the introduction of new cars, for forums to change. When a particular brand and model is available for five years or so the forums grow. There are probably a lot of readers who haven't posted comments.

fowler3
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    posted this in "problems and solutions" as well:

hey guys (and gals) -

2002 and 2003 Pro's are the same, right? all come with the 2.0 liter in DX, LX, or ES, right? is this the infamous 2.0 from the 626 that had issues?

also, at 130hp, it seems kind of underpowered for a 2.0 liter. with an automatic, can a person driving a LOT (she has a 60 mile round trip commute each day at least) expect anywhere near 30mpg's in real life? or is it Civic/Corolla time to get better mileage.

looking at 02 and 03 automatics, preferably with ABS and bags. good deals to be had on the inventory due to depreciation and the new 3 coming out.

thanks for the input!

BTW, my 99 Miata gets 30mpgs, and i sit in rush hour traffic, but it is also a 1.8, not a 2.0. and it is a stick of course. hoping the Pro can get at least that much since it won't be driven as "hard" as i drive my Miata.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    are mechanically the same, just differences in minor trims/packages.

the 2.0 in the Protege is NOT the same as the one in the old 626. it may share the same engine block as the 626, but in a much more updated design. I have not heard of ANY serious engine issues with the 2.0 Proteges ever, they are very reliable.

gas mileage depends on how much highway driving she does in her 60 mile commute. Low to mid 30's is possible if it's mainly highway driving, mid to high 20's if it's mostly city and stop-n-go traffic.

the 130hp number is misleading, as it has a broad torque band from about 1500-5500, so it has a nice pep during acceleration.

the leftover 3rd gen Proteges are great bargains right now IMO

good luck!
    just to confirm - the 2.0 liter in the 2002 Protege is NOT the same engine as in the 2002 base 626? that is good news! i had heard horror stories about 90's technology 4 cylinder 626 models. also, a 2002 came with a 3 yr/50k mile warranty, while a 2003 came with 4 yr/50k, right?

thanks.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    The 1993-2002 4 cyl. 626 and 2002-2003 Protegé all share the FS-DE 2.0l engine. It has certainly changed since it was first introduced with the 626 in late 1992 (it produces more horsepower, no longer has hydraulic lash adjusters, etc.). And the Protegé must have some additional differences (such as the annoying cause of the "cold engine rattle," VTCS) because the 2002 626 was not ULEV whereas the 2002 Protegé was.

I have not heard of any reliability problems with this engine, though. As far as I know, they (like most other Mazda engines) tend to be all but guaranteed to last 200k miles.

The horror stories you've heard do only pertain to the 4 cylinder 626, but they are about the transmission, not the engine. The automatic transmission in the 1994-2002 626 4 cyl. is a Ford unit; the CD4E. They finally got it reasonably reliable in 1999 or so, but it's still not great and it's also not very smooth. The Protegé uses a Mazda transmission that is smoother, more responsive, and has a much better reputation.

You're correct about the warranties.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I have a situation similar to yours. The reason my trouble free 01 ES has only 27K on it is my 82 Jetta Diesel that still gives around 48mpg and uses the lowest priced fuel at the pump!
    also, at 130hp, it seems kind of underpowered for a 2.0 liter. with an automatic, can a person driving a LOT (she has a 60 mile round trip commute each day at least) expect anywhere near 30mpg's in real life? or is it Civic/Corolla time to get better mileage.

I ring the heck out of my manual 03 Pro (shift at 5k all the time) and I get 29 mpg constantly. It'll do better if I drove under 80 mph.
    Even at 77,000 miles.

Meade
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    My 5-speed never got better than 30MPG even on fairly laidback highway commutes.
    My 2.0L 5sp got 38 mpg on a trip where I kept it at around 65 mph. If I'm going 80-85, then it drops down to about 30 mpg.
    "My 2.0L 5sp got 38 mpg on a trip where I kept it at around 65 mph"

I would go nuts only going 65 mph on the highway. I generally set the cruise at 72-80 depending on the speed limit at the time. I generally do 8 mph over the speed limit.
    Well, there's not much you can do when you're driving on a two lane highway with little to no passing opportunities headed to northern Minnesota from the Twin Cities. All the trucks with boat trailers sharing the road with you pretty much guarantee that you're not going to go too fast.
    there are NO Proteges out there with ABS. ditto for Corollas. searched within 100 miles. and the Elantras OFFER ABS as a package, but it isn't actually produced without the sunroof option too. you SHOULD be able to get Package 4, but you find that they all have Package 5.

ditto for Mazda3.

she really wanted a smaller car with ABS. the only way to do it, WITHOUT a sunroof, is going the VW route. or base model Accord LX.

BLUE - i thought you had a 330i? i swore you used to have a Jetta Wolfie that you hated so you got a 330i? wrong guy? or is your Pro a 2nd car?

29mpg leadfooting it is good indeed! but like i said, no Mazdas out there with ONLY ABS.

thanks for the input though everyone!
    Out of all the cars I have owned and in the 8 years I have been driving my ABS has only activated three times and during one of those I purposefully stopped hard to see if it would activate. It's probably more important in areas with more severe inclement weather.
    i myself really like ABS. i don't have it on my Miata, but i won't be driving that in the snow/slush, and try to avoid rain (except for pesky summer storms). it has been and is on my other cars though. but even in dry weather, anything that prevents lock-up is a good thing in my opinion.

but for the person that is looking at cars right now, well, lets just say she needs all the help she can get, especially with regard to braking. :)

i would consider the Kia Spectra with all the airbags and ABS and long warranty, but it is too new to tell if it will be as reliable as the competition like Protege and Elantra.

it does bug me that car makers offer things in print, but don't actually produce them. ABS is quite important, or VW and other makers wouldn't offer it as standard equipment on all models.

but what do i know...
    to have it. But you can ask the salesmen, most people won't pay for safety. They expect it to be standard. I know finding a Civic SI with SAB would have been next to impossible. But they did offer it. I saw one in three years.
    i don't really agree, but that happens sometimes :)

i think a person WILL walk away from a car if it doesn't have the ABS or side airbags that they want, but i have never heard of anyone walking away from the Protege (or Civic or Elantra etc) that they want (right color, etc) BECAUSE it has $250 airbags....

i am one of the "have" to have people for sure! ;)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Without ABS and side airbags on my 03 Protege I would not have purchased it.

Having worked in the sales arena in the past I do know that safety equipment was near the bottom on the list of "must have".
    Any car that my son rides in has to have safety features. My SI doesn't have SAB's but it does have ABS and stuff. I couldn't care less before I became a parent.

These forums are misleading. It seems everyone has NAV and or a V6 when one is offered. Not to mention the ratio of manual transmission enthusiasts. Even though the highest selling models are 4 cylinder automatics in nearly every mid range vehicle.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    From Detroit to Tucson in my daughter's 2002 Pro LX in 3 days..we logged just under 2100 miles...WOW! 29-30 mpg with a FULLY loaded and packed car... We couldn't even see out of the back window. We were doing 70-80mph most of the way with the A/C on constantly. The car performed without a hitch. We had one strong thunderstorm the first afternoon, just south of Detroit, and no other rain the whole way! Awesome car for the price...CDs sounded great, without a skip. It was a very nice drive..got some quality time to spend with my daughter, after not seeing her for 2.5 years..or so...

I had asked in this forum a week or so ago about changing the plugs and or wires prior to the trip...and was given some good advice, which I processed, and made a decision...Time didn't allow us to work on the car in detroit, only to get her stuff packed and get on the road. I had complete faith in the car, and my faith was proven correct, as the trip went very smoothly. I'll get to the plugs and wires this week.

First night out, after leaving Detroit at 2:30 PM Monday, we stayed in Terre Haute, IN. Next night, Tuesday, Shamrock, TX. Wed morning, we went off the interstates, and took the US route (70? 60?) through New Mexico via Roswell.....no UFOS sighted ! ;-) Saved about 100 miles vs driving I40 to Albuquerque. We arrived in Tucson 8:00PM Wednesday. My wife was very anxious but excited that we made it back safely, and exstatic to see her daughter home again. Not so sure she was happy to see me back. ... Just kidding...

Jeff
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I guess I posted last week in the Protege Problems and Soultons Forum, (#2177 "Suggestions") not there..oh well..sorry...but, my guess is that most folks read both, so I will not double post.

Thanks
    And the Pro worked flawlessly. Aside from a few lemons (any mfr. has some), Proteges have been very problem-free.

I'm still impressed by how well my '99LX handles after 52500 miles. I don't push the engine hard (it's gone above 5000 rpm maybe half a dozen times), but I do work the stabilizer bars and other parts of the suspension that are worked harder by lateral acceleration (i.e., I don't mash the pedals, but I do take corners fast).
    Mazda Mania Chat tonight, got an error: "Error talking to control room." None of the posted links worked.

In fact, these are the first posts I have seen in this forum since June 15. Edmunds Sedan forums haven't updated on a regular basis.

fowler3
    Ever since the "upgrade" to the new software the reliability of the forums has been similar to a Yugo.
    My Protege remains problem free:)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Jim, please go to Our Software and report that. That's where the people who need to know about the chat problems will see it.
    BLUE - i thought you had a 330i? i swore you used to have a Jetta Wolfie that you hated so you got a 330i? wrong guy? or is your Pro a 2nd car?

The pro is my commuter. I drive 90 miles a day for work, so putting that on my 330 was a tad extreme. By even conservative estimates I saved money buying the extra car.
    Just had the oil changed today at dealership. 5W30 full synthetic with the Mazda filter. I have the oil changed at dealer during warranty to establish a service record good will.

Parking brake needed adjustment. Zero problems with this Protege. Zero. I'm very satisfied with the experience of the Protege. Handles well, ergonomics are fine, and best of all is the value.
    At just over $13K new with auto, abs/side airbags, moonroof/CD changer I can not complain.

The Potenza's, however, are not my idea of a good tire. Very slick in wet conditions.
    So for 7 months I've been trying to get Mazda to pay me my college grad rebate. All to no avail. Today, 3 weeks after sending the rebate hqs the form for the 5th time, i discovered that Mazda still claims they don't have the form.

Why 3 weeks? Well Customer Support wouldn't answer my question if Mazda had a copy they were satisfied with. The CSRs would tell me to talk to the CSR handling the case...I'd get her voicemail, leave a message and not hear back. Send an email, get a response to CALL my CSR. You know, the same one who doesn't call back.

Finally after sending an invective filled email I got a call. From my CSR. She was "busy." Great. Mazda Rebate HQs - still doesn't have my form! I've got a Fax TX form with the right number but still Mazda says they don't have it!

So she tells me send her the copy right now and she'll forward it. Yeah, I carry a Mazda Rebate form on me. Take it everywhere. go to the padres game and in my pocket is the form. Go to work, there's the form. Obviously the form is at home. She says we should handle it immediately as this is a long weekend. Longer than 700 months with Mazda holding my rebate hostage and NOT telling me about it? Argh.

So she suggests to get the form, call the dealership, Westcott Mazda in National City, CA - the worst dealership on the entire PLANET. I call westcott. Ernie, the manager is on his way to their other dealership (this is at 10 am). Okay, let me talk to the current manager. He's not in. When will he be in? He was supposed to be in at 8:30. Nobody knows where he is! Okay, who is in charge? Nobody. What the?!

The dealership says to send me a copy of my college grad rebate form they will need an authorization from a manager. how can they sell a car? Westcott suggests I call the other dealership and get them - maybe Ernie - to call back with clearance to send my form to me.

So I call the other dealer. The manager says he can't help. Talk to the Westcott manager. i would but that guy hasn't come in to work! I ask for Ernie and he tells me Ernie probably won't be in until noon. What? The guy left National City at 10, unless he's biking to El Cajon it's a 10 minute drive.

The manager got mad as I didn't just think that, i spat it out without a filter. I didn't much care. I've tried the nice guy thing for 7 months. Obviously these tools aren't real good with customers. Can't say Mazda is any better. The lack of communication, the run-around, the inability of Mazda to fix a bad situation are all too much.

I have a friend very interested in buying a Mazda3. I'm guiding her car shopping, maybe another stop at Infiniti or BMW are in order...

Seething...
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ...I totally understand your frustration, been through similar situations. Did you try mailing the forms via certified mail? At least then you'd have a signature of a bona fide human recipient. Why didn't they give you the rebate (as in a price deduct) when you bought the car (forgive my ignorance if you've already posted this story somewhere)?

Again, I understand your irritation, but I don't imagine your friend in the market for a ~$17k Mazda 3 is going to go for a BMW or Infiniti ($30k minimum) because of your not getting your rebate, which is, what, four hundred bucks? Not trying to goad you, but c'mon. Have you been happy with the car (if clearly not the dealer or Mazda CS) otherwise?
    Why didn't they give you the rebate (as in a price deduct) when you bought the car (forgive my ignorance if you've already posted this story somewhere)?

The dealership acted like they'd never heard of the college grad rebate. The purchase experience was bad as I bought a 17.3k Pro ES for 11.9 (before college rebate). They were downright awful. It wasn't until after the purchase I found out dealers can take it off at the point of sale.

Again, I understand your irritation, but I don't imagine your friend in the market for a ~$17k Mazda 3 is going to go for a BMW or Infiniti ($30k minimum) because of your not getting your rebate, which is, what, four hundred bucks? Not trying to goad you, but c'mon. Have you been happy with the car (if clearly not the dealer or Mazda CS) otherwise?

Actually she's looking for a car. The price isn't the paramount thing as right now she's into the loaded 3 (20k) and the TSX (26k). Like me, with my BMW, price isn't the prime motivator on the purchase of the car.

As for my pro...it's fun enough. good commuter car. the ac is lackluster but beyond that, not too bad for under 12k!
    Even though it's a '99LX, the '04 Cavalier I had as a rental while on vacation doesn't even come close. Man, I think that thing gave me a kink my my neck (poor ergonomics and a windshield that warps the view enough to give me eyestrain). And talk about front-end plow. That thing scrubbed the tires on fairly mild turns.