Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    it was standard on the '99 es.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU there tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Yep, standard.

I own a 2000 ES. Nice car even if the previous owner ate the remote and won't own up to it!

Meade
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Because MDaffron talked me into it. Meadball wasn't the only one, but he did more talking than the others.

And I must say it's been a very reliable car. No rattles, no problems, nothing to complain about. It gets better the more you drive it. It could use new tires, the stock Poortenzas are getting thin, but they make less noise as they wear out.

Compared to other small cars it wins handsdown. Plenty of room, comfortable seats, peppy engine, and handling that gets you out of tight driving situations and small parking spaces when SUV drivers park too close. It's the handling that spoils you. Any car with a larger turning circle is out of the question.

Like Bluem6i said, they are more like a little sports car than an econobox, a sports car with four doors. Not many mid-size cars have a 13-cubic foot trunk. The BMW 3 series has only 10cf.

Fuel economy has been good. Best trip mileage 36mpg.

fowler3
    After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    And let's keep the forum alive in 2005!

:)

--Dale
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Be safe and be warm.
    May you have the best of Christmas and the New Year.

fowler3
    ...doesn't have an 50% OFF after Christmas Sale on Mazda3's? ;)

fowler3
    ...and to all zoom zoom!
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    I bought my 03 DX (automatic) for threereasons; handling, handling and handling. The car is an absolute blast to drive, and even acquitted itself rather well on the Streets of Willow Springs not long ago.

The important bits have been very reliable (engine, transmission, brakes), but my car has been plagued with annoying noises. Since day 1 there has been a rattle in the dash coming from the passenger-side vent area. The vent and most surrounding pieces have been replaced, but the rattle persists.

Another annoying rattle in the right rear passenger door has finally been tracked down by my daughter to the window crank, though I've yet to have it fixed. The right front window had an air leak when fully closed, fixed by the dealer with new rubber bits.

Most annoying however has been the squeeky drivers seat. I've had the track replaced, then the entire seat, but after five trips to the dealer and just as many attempted fixes (the new seat was the most recent) the damned thing still sounds like a cheap motel bed on prom-night. Supposedly the Mazda factory rep will take a look at it, but it drives me nuts.

Despite the annoyances, I still love the car. It is fast, handles like crazy and while a bit noisy at speed, is actually a decent cruiser. I'd buy another one, but only after making sure it wasn't built on a Friday.

Andrew
  • kmagkmag Member Posts: 98
    I had to buy a car as mine was totalled a week before Christmas. I drove a couple of Protege's. An 03 LX and an 01 ES at different dealers. Drove the LX first and liked the interoir, seat comfort and power, but it was somewhat noisy and stiff riding as I have read. Also a bit too far our of my price range.

Then tried the 01 ES at a Mazda dealer. Again I immediately noticed the noise level was high. At freeway speeds in the rain, it was intolerable. Unfortunately these cars were marked off my list for this reason only. Too bad because the 01 ES was a heck of a buy at $7995, 34K, certified used. I got a 97 Camry for the same amount and it is way more quiet on the highway. While it certainly won't be as entertaining to drive it suits my needs better.

Why the kids are all driving and modding Honda Civics, I dont understand, the ES Protege blows a a Civic away, it is exactly the car Id want if I was 15 years younger....
    ... because of tire noise! (If it was an ES, it undoubtedly still had the stock Bridgestone "Poortenza" RE92s on it -- and there was your noise and rain trouble.)

Oh well. Now you are one of the nameless masses.

Meade
  • kmagkmag Member Posts: 98
    I am not talking about just tire noise, it is a noisy car in general, the noisiest cars I have driven in a long time. The LX was quite noisy, rode as stiffly as the SE, and it had smaller tires and I drove it in dry weather. From what I have read, it is just a trait of these models, so I doubt that the tires would have made that much difference.

If you like the car thats great for you, but to me it seems like they left out some vital insulation. I hope that the new 3 shows improvement in this area.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    As was the case even with my '90 Protege, the DOHC engine mated to a 5-speed (or maybe the automatic, too, I don't know), Mazda geared them so they were at seriously high revs at highway speeds. While this made for good performance, the whine above about 50 mph was quite irritating.
    I drive a 2000 Protege ES 5-speed daily, and I have over 87,000 miles on it now. My daily commute takes me on the highway, frequently at speeds exceeding 70 mph. The car does not "whine," nor is it "irritatingly" loud at those speeds.

Then again, it ain't a Buick either. But I knew that when I bought it.

Maybe a longer test drive, with a little highway exposure, will help you buy the appropriate car for yourself next time.

Meade
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    My 03 LX has the whine and the road noise is louder than I'd like and louder than some of it's competition.

I'm happy with the car. It ain't no Buick, and I knew it when I bought it.

High RPM's and road noise are inherent to the Protege, and denying it ain't gonna change it.

note: Zero problems (defects) with my Protege from new. Nada, zilch, zip!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    One explanation is that your Protege still had the 1.8L engine in it. The 01+ Protege ES's had the 2.0L (optional on DX,LX) as standard equipment. The engine was okay around town but on the highway when you had to run at higher RPM is when it showed it's annoying side. Otherwise it was a terrific, trouble-free car while we owned it.
    Long live the 1.8!

Meade
    Though I love my '99 es pro, I must admit it is noisy. This is mostly tire noise on rough pavement. The next set of tires, though they will be performance oriented, will be ones rated low on noise.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I used drive a gas guzzling Mazda 1.8, now I drive a fuel efficient Toyota 4cyl married to a lovely sporty Pontiac tall wagon. My quality of life is much better and I have no trouble getting dates on Saturday nights.

-old head
    Larry, do you know that this post (along with the one you made over on Mazda3) is the first post you've made on the Town Hall since LAST APRIL???

Where ya been?!

Meade
    "My quality of life is much better and I have no trouble getting dates on Saturday nights."

Does Trudy know about this?

And btw, your quality of life is better? You had not one, but TWO 2000 Protege ES's, both of which gave you four and a half years of trouble-free service, and life is better? I wanna hear that again after four and a half years with the Vibes in the driveway.

Meade
    She drives her own Pontiac Vibe, I'm guessing she has no trouble hooking up on weekends, either! Me thinks I'm heading to Baltimore this weekend to hit the clubs. Maybe HammerJack's?

How come (Vocus) Paul King never posts here anymore? He always was willing to share his vast knowledge of automotive experience with the many newbies at Edmunds.com?

How is the weather in Richmond?

-lovetrain
    ... is COLD. Got down to 11 last night at my house; Zoomster cranked right over and zoomed to work this morning in spite of that! (And he's still on his original battery, which will be five years old May 24!)

Tonight's supposed to be even colder than last night. It's a balmy 27 right now, which is the high for today so far. I just wish the winds would die down -- we've been having gusts up to 30 today, which have been making for some killer wind chills -- this morning they were negative.

Brrrr. Good thing Zoomster heats up quick!

Meade
    2-3 inches of snow hit Lancaster, yesterday. I love my two car garage! Trudy shoveled the drive way. I programed her new cell phone. What a charmed life I lead!

-old head
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Trudy better get the shovel are warmed up cause it looks like more snow for the whole state on Saturday.

The BFG's I put on in December have been doing pretty well in the snow thus far. Not as good as snow tires, but certainly good enough to get me around the back roads and hills where I live.
    Glad to hear from you again, Larry. :)

Things good here. Cold, snowy, but good. Cars coming up on 60k (mine) or past the 30k service interval (hers). Both doing fine.

And yes, they are noisy (mine more so than hers), but we both wanted them that way (the noises are mostly good, except for all the undissolved road salt hitting the insides of my car's wheel wells), so we can tell what's going on outside the cars. I can't stand over-insulated cars, might as well have someone else drive.
    Chow-chi, how are you and your lovely family doing these days? I'm glad to see you are still posting and helping Mazda owners here in these forums. I will check in here from time to time and see how my good friends are doing.

Respectfully,

Larry Kline
    The kid has really sprouted this summer. Her shoe size is already past my wife's, and she's rapidly approaching her in height. She just got her ears pierced this winter, and she's done a pretty good job of taking care of them. It's hard for me to accept that she's becoming more of a teenager with each passing day, but I'll get over it. :)

Heh, not sure if I'm helping or not. But it's good to see that not many problems crop up. Of course, it's partly due to more happening on the Mazda3 boards since the Protege got discontinued. I'm still pretty happy with mine, and I don't see anything out there I would rather have, so I'm sticking with her. :)
    Calling all Pros!! It's that time again!

PF Flyer

Host

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    Zoom zoom zoom ...

Meade
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey Meade, how ya doin? How has Zoomster handled the snow and ice we've had this year? Not sure if you've had the same weather we've had, but we've had more snow in the last year or two than in the preceding 10, I think!

Are you still leaning towards a 3 for your next car?
    We don't even have any in the mountains out here. Oregon is turning into southern CA! the violets are blooming.
    Well, Zoomster's doing fine in the very mild winter we've had up the road from ya. We haven't had any snow to speak of, only a couple of mild ice storms.

I have become very interested in the Mazda5, which is due out over here in late spring or early summer, or so they say. So I've put my purchase on hold until I can get a good look at the 5 (plus pay down some other debts some more). No sense hurrying to replace a 100% reliable car; heck, its value won't change much now at its age and mileage. If the 5 doesn't turn out to be all I hope, then the 3 wagon will probably be the way I go.

How you doin'?

Meade

P.S. Everybody who owns a Protege, be proud! The AP story about Mazda's U.S. sales slipping a small percentage in January attributed the decline, in part, to "its discontinued Protege line." They were popular cars. Looks like the 3's going to take a while to gain the acceptance and popularity the Protege enjoyed.

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    too. They got my attention.
    This looks like one cool vehicle. I just wish half the folks over on the Mazda5 discussion would come to grips with the fact that this thing is NOT a minivan, nor is it intended to be one.

Meade
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    last week. I was looking for a totally loaded blue 6I hatch. Nowhere to be found. But I think I like the 5 more. It reminds me of the old Civic wagon....But with power this time.
  • tlyontlyon Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 Mazda Protege with 144K miles. Earlier in the car's life I checked with the Mazda service tech and was told that the 1.5 engine that I have had hydraulic lifters which didn't need adjusting. Recently I talked to another tech who said that I had mechanical lifters which should be adjusted ((for $250-300 depending on shims!). The Haynes manual I looked at agreed with the latest tech.

My question is this: At this late date should I get the valve adjustment (car is running fine) or just forget it. I plan to keep the car for another 50K miles.

Tim
    Larry's life isn't better, his VIBES are better. Think I saw one of those on the expressway this afternoon, looks like a compact Aztec. jk Larry.

I don't understand people complaining about noise in the Protegés. They must drive on rough-paved roads. Poortenzas would be noisy on those. My '01 LX is still doing fine: no rattles, no squeeks, nothing to complain about -- darn it. I feel left out. Well, one thing, I noticed a tiny bit of paint missing on the driver's side door. Shesh, I haven't had that happen in over 12 years.

The seats are still comfortable, the inside trim clean as new, no passengers. And still low mileage at 21,340. Wonder what it's worth?

I was thinkiing about the MZ3 the other day, what if I had to carry two 100lb bags of soil for the garden, the 3's tiny trunk opening, I'll bet you have to get down on your knees to get cargo out. Not so in the Pro.

fowler3
  • graphixvgraphixv Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

We've been looking for a used car and have used Edmunds to evaluate the pricing on two. One being an average 1999 Protege LX. I have to say I am a little confused on this one.

Edmunds has this 1999, average condition, 108, vehicle with a private party price of like $2200. Kelly lists it only "Fair" around $3995 private party! I know there is going to be an amount of difference in these prices due to the source. But, these prices aren't even close.

I made a first offer of $2600 which they rejected.

I like doing research on Edmunds, apparently I just can't buy any cars with these prices as a reference.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try asking Terry in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to take a minute to read the information that you will need to provide (in red above the post box) for him to be able to help you. Good luck!
    Well, my 2003 Protege DX is in the shop again for the squeaky driver seat (repair attempt number 6), and they've had it for over three weeks now (34 days total for all attempts). The dash rattle has had 8 repairr attempts since the day I bought the car, and still rattles like always.

The sad part is that I really love driving the car, it is fast, handles well and is just plain fun, but the noises drive me absolutely nuts. The seat particularly, which sounds the bedframe in a downtown motel renting rooms by the hour. It is loud enough to hear over loud music (at its worst), and always attracts the attention of anyone who rides in the car.

I finally sent Mazda a letter, along with a copy of the California lemon law, which only requires four attempts and up to 30 days downtime before the manufacturer should replace the vehicle or buy it back.

I'm really saddened that it came to this, as I had such high hopes for the car.
  • marrmarr Member Posts: 6
    My 01 ES had a squeaky driver's seat from new. It was an intermittent problem so it took about 3 years before it bugged me enough to do something about it.

Anyway, I got a can of WD-40 and got underneath and sprayed anywhere I saw metal/metal contact. Took me three tries but I got rid of the squeak.

Car smelled pretty bad for a week or so but it was worth it !
    WD-40 would help lawman1967's seat problem. Sqeaks and rattles can drive you nuts. I had a Porsche 914 with a sqeaky right front wheel. A mechanic took it apart, piece-by-piece four times and could never find what caused it. Each time he reassembled it and test drove it -- it still sqeaked. There were no marks indicating metal rubbing.

Usually, when tracked down it's something you would never have thought of. It could be where the seatback joins the seat frame, plastic parts rubbing together or the seat springs. Even a screw that rubs. had that problem on an American car.

A screw holding the center console on the drive shaft tunnel was too long. Driving over rough roads there was a hammering noise as the end of the screw was hit by the drive shaft. Switching the screw with a shorter one solved it.

lawman1967, on that window crank problem, exchange them between doors and see if that corrects it.

Another suggestion, stay with the car and ask if you can use the stethascope mechanics use to listen to engines as the mechanic drives the car -- maybe you can poin-point the sounds location.

fowler3
    Gee, that seems like a lot of $ for a valve adjustment, but yes, it should be done. Not only is the timing thrown off with maladjustment, but if the exhaust valves are held open at all, they will be apt to burn.
    I would try those things if I had the car. Star Mazda has had the car for the last 3 1/2 weeks.

I doubt it is the seatback as they have already replaced EVERYTHING. New tracks, entire new seat, EVERYTHING!

That only leaves whatever mounts the tracks to the floor of the car, or the floor to the actual frame.

It took a lot less than 3 years for it to bother me, especially as it did it since new. My car only has 22K miles and is a rattletrap, I want them to replace it and will fight them for that result.
    I would take it to an independent garage that services Mazdas, it's surprising how they can fix things dealers can't. What is unfixable for a dealer an independent garage mechanic can usually find the problem in minutes. Seems to be an attitude problem more than anything. ;)

Have them swop the front seats, they are the same except for the seat controls. See what happens, is the squeak on the right side?

I doubt Mazda will replace a whole car for a squeak. If it was an engine problem you would have a better chance.

fowler3
  • marrmarr Member Posts: 6
    lawman1967

I would agree with that. Try an independent shop. Ask around any other Mazda owners you know to see if they can recommend one.

My power antenna (hate those things) broke on my 88 626. The dealer wanted three hours labour to put a new one in.

A car radio repair shop did it in under one hour. The dealer does not always know best.

Failing that, when you get the car back try the WD-40 yourself. What have you got to lose ?
    I had the seat swapped, FOR A WHOLE NEW ONE, didn't change anything, so switching left to right won't make any difference.

Its not replacing a car for a squeak, its replacing a car because its been out of service for 40 days now, when the law only gives them 30.

Anyway I will take them either to arbitration or court, after 6 attempts and 40 days (and counting), I will not just let them off the hook.