Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I know it gets a bit tougher to attend once we reach the summer, but it's a lot of fun and you will have a good time, even if you can only stop in for a portion of the chat. Last week we even broke out some automotive trivia questions.

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    This is just a recommendation for those who, for any reason, might want to play a MP3 player, CD player, or other audio output device through their car radio.

I tried out eight different FM modulators of the type that transmits an FM signal through the air to be received by your car radio. I was very disappointed with the results. Not a one of them was in any way usable at all. The signal went up and down, the background noise was unacceptable. They were all a disaster, and some cost up to $80 (luckily I bought them all with a return privlege).

Then I came across an FM modulator that plugs into your cigarette lighter and into which you attach a MP3 player (CD player or other audio output unit) via an audio cable (supplied). Or, as an option, you can also insert a USB flash drive directly into a USB port on the modulator. This product is called the "VR3 MP3 FM Modulator", made by Virtual Reality Sound Labs, and can be seen at

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3579125

I have been very satisfied with both voice and music played through this device via the audio cable. Music played from USB flash drives however seems to lack adequate bass. This device does stick out somewhat from the dash so you must make sure it will not interfere with your dash controls.

I bought this modulator at Costco for $26, including sales tax.
  • sirgunitsirgunit Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody know the top speed for the mazda protege 2000 lx i was just wondering
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Not that I've tried to find the limit in my '99 LX or my wife's '03 P5 (I'd really get it if I tried it in my wife's car and she found out).
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    Wimpy new models! ;) I've had my 92 Pro running @ 135mph/220kph on the autobahn (Frankfurt to Ramstien AFB) and the autoroute Brussels to Antwerp, NL. Speeds in the States are mum (don't know if there's a statute on speeding and Smokies could be reading!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The '92 was governed at 118 in the U.S. (I know; I had two of 'em.)

I had my 2000 ES up to about 110 once.

I haven't tried top-speeding in my 2005 3S hatch yet, but I have gotten it just over 90 (in fourth) while pulling a fast merge to avoid a truck in the right lane. It had plenty more to offer!

Meade
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    I bought my brand-new Pro in June 1992 overseas. Supposed to be US specs, but now I wonder... :confuse:
  • zoom zoom kingzoom zoom king Member Posts: 26
    ive gotten my 99 pro lx to 110... so your saying if i added any mods my top speed wouldnt be affected
    Sorry!

(BTW, why would you need to go faster?)

Meade
    ... well, actually, several (2 1992 LXs, 1 2000 ES and now a 2005 3 hatch), I can tell you where the difference really lies. The '92s and the '00 handled very well, but the 3 has much more power. But the REAL difference lies in the handling at speed -- if you visit the site hosted by the engineers who designed the 3 ...

http://www.mazda.com/product/mazda3/4a/2w/story1_1.html

... you'll note that, after spending some time on the autobahn studying the way German cars handled fast speeds, they deliberately designed the 3 to be more stable at high speeds. And I agree. At 90 in the Proteges I was starting to get white-knuckled. At 90 in the 3 I'm very relaxed and the car is well-composed and solid; not at all twitchy like the Proteges were.

To quote from the above link (which is full of great info on the 3's development):

On the flight back to Japan from Europe, Tanioka spent his time alone and deep in thought. He had driven some of the competitive European C-segment cars from VW, BMW, Peugeot and Alfa Romeo on Germany's autobahns and he was thinking that when driving fast, even at around 200km/h, his confidence in these cars was largely sustained even as the field of vision became narrower at speed.

But traveling at even 160km/h in a Japanese car of the same class somehow resulted in a loss of driving confidence. Reflecting on how he had felt while driving, Tanioka was aware that he had been sensing various "danger signs" in the Japanese cars as speed increased, including the sound of the engine, wind noise and vibration of the steering wheel. Such sounds and movement communicate an impression of impending danger to the driver, giving rise to a feeling of uneasiness.

In contrast, he had felt no such feeling when driving the competitive European models. All that he had been aware of with increasing speed was the narrowing visual field and a feeling of confidence that grew with it. And suddenly, Tanioka realized one of the keys to Mazda3's development: they would raise the speed at which confidence could still be felt.

To attest for my experience: I owned my first '92 LX until it was totaled (hydroplaning) at 28,000 miles. I bought the second one and drove it 83,000 miles. I had the '00 ES for 91,100 miles and traded it April 7 for the 2005 3 hatch, which I now have about 3,800 miles on.

Meade
  • zoom zoom kingzoom zoom king Member Posts: 26
    i recently got a K&N filter for 11.00 from no other than ebay LOL and it promised 2-4 % increase in power well i havent noticed it but maybe its me does anyone know why. secondly i realized that the air route for my 99 pro is pretty much big except for 1 part at the mass air sensor its real small why is that i was tempted to take the hose off and let her rip would that have made a diff ... oh and i didnt want to go faster i just want more throttle response ... it all started when i drove my friends v6 galant i hit 115 in like a matter of seconds i mean i hate the car but i liked the power train minus premium gas UCCk im happy with my 25 mpg LOL
    Are dealers still providing no-cost replacements for 2002 Protege plastic wheel covers that crack or break when removed? Do they provide all four covers even if only one cover has failed so far?
    Er, have you tried asking your dealer?

Meade
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I'm looking to buy a late-model Protege or 626 in the near future, preferably a '00 or '01 model. I don't want frills on either car, just a nice, simple commuter that I can use daily, plus drive in the winter while I put my '96 Volvo away. Also, I should mention that I am a true driving enthusiast so I have to ask- which car would perform better on the highway and have great high-speed stability: a Protege or a 626 of the vintage I mentioned?

Also I presume that the '99-'03 Protege generation rides and handles better than the slow-selling '95-'98 generation.
    Meade, are you stalking me? I was trying to see how the wind blows before I approach my dealer
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    My vote goes for the Protege (especially the ES model); the 626 was much too long in the tooth and due for a serious change which fortunately happened with the Mazda6. A simple test drive of each car should prove the point.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Meade has been a regular participant in this discussion for years, as well as in the other discussion in which he made a reply to you.

Your question was very appropriate, and I hope someone can give you the information you are seeking.

:)
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Keep up the good work Meadeball. ;)

BTW, I drove in heavy rain this afternoon and tested the Kumhos for hydroplaning, they are great! Hard stops from speed they had full contact and stopped like the road was dry. Highly recommend them. I have a 2001 Pro LX 2.0 and replaced the lousy Bridgestone Portenzas after 22K miles. The Kumhos are 205/50/15HR ECSTA 711 touring tires. Very quiet and smooth riding.

fowler3
    I've been busy the last few days.

I'd definitely go with the Protege. Like autonomous says, the last-generation 626 was "long in the tooth" -- I'll go farther; it was a dud. I got to drive one a few times as a loaner car. B-O-R-I-N-G!!!

My last Protege was a 2000 ES 5-speed, purchased new in May 2000 (and replaced with a Mazda3S wagon back in April). I had 91,100 miles of trouble-free service. Nice, zippy, well-handling, smile-inducing car.

Meade

P.S. Thanks for the compliment Pat ... or at least I think it was a compliment! ;)
    That's "Poortenzas."

:P

Meade
  • heatherhheatherh Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 mazda protege and am trying to figure out how to fix an apparent jammed seat belt. i used the seat belt directly behind the driver's seat to secure a round cooler this weekend and now i can't pull out the belt all the way. it will give about a foot and then stop. it doesn't appear to be twisted. i can't figure out how to clear the problem. any ideas?
    thanks,
    h.
    how to fix an apparent jammed seat belt. i used the seat belt directly behind the driver's seat to secure a round cooler this weekend and now i can't pull out the belt all the way

As I think back to when this happened to me I remember there being a thin slot on the buckle; slide a dime into the slot to release the buckle.
    Apparently you have engaged the child-safety seat ratcheting feature -- i.e. when you pull the belt out all the way (which you probably did to secure the cooler), and then let it go back in part of the way, it will lock there -- the purpose being to hold a child safety seat securely. Just let it retract all the way and it should return to normal.

Meade
  • heatherhheatherh Member Posts: 2
    i think the culprit was the baby lock thing. that sounds right. anyway, it must have retracted all the way on it's own. when i went back to try out your advice, it was fixed?! thanks for the tips!
    h.
    Sure thing!

When you suddenly become a family (instead of just a couple), you learn interesting things about many things in life -- and your car is a small part of that!

Meade
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Wow, is anyone still here? It's been a while. How's everyone doing?

I still have the Protege. Many many more mods done to it as well. :) Zoom zoom.

Pictures: http://www.panhandlegearheads.com/gallery.php?member=45
    Specs: http://forum.panhandlegearheads.com/viewtopic.php?p=47148#47148
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Good to see you still have your Protege.

Did you ever get the battery to stop sliding around? :P
    Do you not love us anymore???

Meade
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    Looking good. My '99es is still running strong. It got a polish and waxing last weekend. Next up: new speakers and tires.
    LOL yes, the battery problem has been fixed. So has the engine, in a sense.

I now have a 2002 FS-DE 2.0 manual in place of the rather anemic, but reliable 1.6 ZM-DE automatic. It's fun!
    You know I love all Mazda owners.... :P
    And so is my Pro, which will soon see 64000 miles. Other than an annoying CEL (code P0402) which occasionally pops up, it's been pretty trouble-free. Since little bits of carbon jam the EGR valve every now and then (the last couple have been small and blown themselves out apparently, as the code cleared itself in a few days after each of the last CELs). Still, annoying, so I keep a small piece of black electrical tape to cover it up when it comes on.

I haven't seen anything on the market that would get me out of my Pro. I'm just too happy with it.

And my wife is glad she got her P5. Nothing that has come on the market since appeals to her (except the 5-dr Prius, but she likes how her P5 handles, and the Prius doesn't come close...of course, that's not its intent).

And it's good to see a lot of the old gang is still hanging out, even though we don't post with nearly the frequency we once did. Glad to hear you're all alright. :)
  • simonsez5simonsez5 Member Posts: 21
    I figured this would be the best place to post my question. I'm looking for a used car and the Protege is on my list, I test drove two, a 98 and a 99, both ES models with a 5 speed. The 99 was the next (and last) generation of the Pro. My question is this, both engines were 1.8 litres with the same hp (and torque I believe) output of 122 BUT I noticed that the 98 model redlined at 7000 RPM vs. 6500 RPM for the 99?? Somehow the 98 even felt faster (but that may be my imagination. Is this the same engine? The 98 also felt roomier, is this true?

Thanks.
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    I think they are different engines. The '99 1.8 came from the Japanese 626, I believe. Earlier 1.8 pro's used a version of the miata engine. I think it may require high octane gas, but I'm not sure.

It seems the '98 may have been more reliable,

http://www.autooninfo.net/RelPerMazdaCharts.htm

but my '99 es has been quite good. The '99 has more interior room, handles better, and, IMHO, looks a lot better.
    Yeah, the 98 Protege came with either the 1.5L Z5 engine or the 1.8L BP-DE as found also in the Miata. For 99, Mazda switched to the 1.8L FP-DE engine, which is essentially a destroked verion of the 2.0 FS-DE found in the same model year 626 and newer (2001+) Protege's.
    The second generation (1998 in your case) had more interior room than the third generation, by a hair.

Meade
    The '98 has more interior volume, but the '99 and later has its interior volume better-placed for actual use (well, it does for me).

I think the '99 and later handles better too.
    I've been wondering how you are doing. Your Pro sure puts mine to shame, I need to get on waxing and polishing. I noticed you changed the wheels again. Dale, long time no type! Where ya been?

fowler3
    I'm still here...work has been keeping me pretty busy. :)

Over 46K on the Protege!
    Jim: thank you very much! I really appreciate your kind words. Yeah, I've changed wheels once again. I wasn't too happy with my old set. Performance-wise, they were great. Super light at 15lbs and very strong (forged), but as far as aesthetics, they didn't really match the lines of the Pro. BBS wheels have always caught my eye and they just so happened to release the "CV" right when I started wheel shopping again. Only 4 lbs heavier, but it's worth it IMHO.
    Along with Nissan and Daihatsu, Mazda vehicles will soon come equipped with stereos that integrate with Apple's iPod. Afraid I don't have any other details, like which iPod generations are supported and when.
    Clint: I'd like a set of alloys, but the 15" size is hard to find. Most are more than I can afford at this time. I did see on TireRack a wheel I like made by Sport (something) seven spokes, and a Mille Miglia wheel, but TireRack discontuned the latter.

But when I see wheels with black brake disc dust I change my mind.

fowler3
    Then you need to get the ones with a dark finish. They're less common, but they do sometimes come that way. Hides the brake dust better. :)
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    Passed my 02 Protege to my daughter to drive and bought an 05 6i (Sepang with ATX). Paid less than what the Pro cost me 3 years ago. This our 2nd 6i, my wife's 03 is blue. What a great car!
    A few questions about your Protege 02:
    1. What version of Protege is it: DX, LX, ES ... ?
    2. Where is it in terms of mileage?
    3. Have you done any major repairs?
    4. Have you replaced your tires and if so how often?
    5. Would you recommend the Pro as a used vehicle to a friend?
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    A few answers...
    1. 2002 LX w/ATX
    2. 43,000 + miles
    3. nothing but routine maintenance
    4. put a set of BFG Touring TA's (205/55/15) at 30k
    5. absolutely.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope that everyone's been having a great summer! Now that we're getting past all that summer driving (1200 miles on this years vacation...LOL) it's time to get back into the swing of chat. Stop in to say Hello!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    Several months ago I mentioned that I was going to see if I could get Mazda to provide new wheel covers for my 2002 Protege even though I was about two months over warranty at that time. One cover cracked immediately the first time I tried to remove it.

Since I do my own maintenance work I had never been back to my dealer for service, so did not know about the TSB on 2002 wheel covers until after I had the problem. I'm happy to say that my dealer went to bat for me, and I received four new wheel covers last week.
    I'm happy to say that my dealer went to bat for me, and I received four new wheel covers last week.

Kudos to your dealer!
    Keep 'em shiny!

Meade