Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• boyceboyce Member Posts: 48
    You might try going to mazdausa.com and download your owners manual. I also did not get an owner's manual when I bought my 2003 Protege DX used. I don't remember if I had to register before I downloaded mine or not. Good Luck. I've had no problems with the car or the CD player. Bud

2015 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    There was a technical service bulletin on the mazda cd unit. I got mine replaced by Mazda under warranty. Out of warranty your probably out of luck.

--------------------
    09-010/03 MULTIPLE MODELS - CD MODULE MALFUNCTIONS
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
    All Mazda vehicles with single CD module audio that are manufactured by FMS

DESCRIPTION
    Some customers may complain the CD module (single CD) malfunctions and no sound is heard from the speakers. When switching to the other modules (radio, cassette tape, and MD), all features are functional except no sound is heard from the speakers as well. This condition is caused when a disc is inserted into the CD module, static electricity is discharged inside the CD module causing the malfunction.

The mass production procedure has been changed to correct this concern.

Customer having this concern should have their vehicles inspected/repaired using the following procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
    NOTE: Do not replace the CD module immediately. First diagnose the problem per the following procedure, then replace the CD module with an exchange unit if necessary.

Record all radio presets.
    Disconnect the room fuse (10A) or negative battery cable and wait for more than 30 seconds, then operate the CD module.
    If normal operation is restored and there is no problem with other modules (radio, cassette tape, and MD), only replace the CD module with an exchange unit according to appropriate Workshop Manual.
    If normal operation is not restored, the problem may exist in other areas. Perform normal troubleshooting according to appropriate Workshop Manual.
    NOTE: In some cases normal operation of radio, cassette, and MD modules may be restored when CD's eject button is depressed. However, CD module still malfunctions.

Reprogram all radio presets.
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    NOTE: This information applies to verified customer complaints on vehicles covered under normal warranty. Refer to the SRT microfiche for warranty term information.

Warranty Type

A

Symptom Code

Damage Code

9W

Part Number Main Cause

Refer to Parts Catalog

Quantity

Operation Number / Labor Hours:

XX479XRX / 0.3
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    Is it on the driver's side or passenger's. Can someone give me an approx. location. Can I get to it easily if I raise one side up with a ramp? Thanks.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    You can try checking the online service manual for the 2002 Protege http://protege5.ugly.net
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Well gang,

I know I haven't posted in a really long time, but the person who started this discussion, is taking his leave. I traded in "Trigger", my 2000 ES Highlight Silver Metallic Protege with 106,851 miles of mostly trouble-free fun (til the last 6 mos) for a full size crew cab pickup.

It has been my honor and good fortune to have been part of this group.

Dale, Meade, Tom and Pat (our former host?)...all my best.

With warm regards,

Pete
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Former host?? Still here, even though there might be a few cobwebs in the corner over there! Guess I need to call the cleaning service... ;)

What did you buy Pete? And don't think you have to be a stranger around here no matter what you're drivin'!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    full size crew cab pickup

I'm jealous. Enjoy it Pete. Are you still in the Phoenix area? If that new truck is for pulling a boat, you'll find me in Blythe many weekends in the summer.
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Pat...sorry...what was that quote by Mark Twain? The stories of your departure (ok he said demise...work with me...)were greatly exaggerated?

I bought a Certified Used 2006 Chevy Silverado Crew LT. Bought the extended warranty and I'm good til just past 100k for bumper to bumper. Believe it or not, I actually got $5400 for Trigger...was sad to see him go, but I got over it quickly. Less handling..more power!!! with the new truck. Yes I am still in Phoenix. I'm NEVER moving back to Chicago. Where's Blythe?

Talk to you all soon,

Pete
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Very nice. Have fun!
    Blythe: West on I-10 just after you cross the Colorado River.
  • ardaproesardaproes Member Posts: 12
    Alright guys! Welcome your new member from California.
    Silver 5 spd Protege ES with a lot of miles on it
    Bought it from OCounty about 3 months ago. If anyone recognizes please let me know? I just need to know how some of the mods work? coz it has little extras
  • qmazdaqmazda Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you ever get the answer to this? I also am getting the TR message on my CD unit....
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Good knowing ya!
  • ardaproesardaproes Member Posts: 12
    My friend liked my protege after test driving it and sold his honda civic only ot get a protege after 3 days. He is very happy with the purchase of a dark green 1999 Pro LX with 105100 miles on it. Now there are 2 proteges in my friend's circle. :shades:
  • rgwizrgwiz Member Posts: 6
    Hi, new here.
    My daughter will get her license in a few weeks and we are car shopping.
    It seems, the fusspot that she is, likes the 2000 Protege ES. I like it too. It's now in her price range and the car seems to be a good choice for safety and reliability. Compared to the Corolla, and Civic, or even the Jetta, we both think it's looks are pretty cool. I've read most of the posts here and no one seems to have any major problems. I do realize that most of you dudes are Protege freaks, but I would really like your opinions on weather the Protege is a good choice for a new driver. Also, if we buy a 2000-2001 ES, do you think my daughter will get many trouble free (nothing major) miles out of it. We are looking for an ES with around 70k-80k miles on it. Oh yeah, at what mileage should the timing belt be changed, assuming it needs to be changed, and what should we be looking at closely when we check out the car.
    Consumer Reports recommends the Protege as a reliable used vehicle. Areas to check on a used Protege include the brakes and perhaps the electrical components. The Protege uses a timing belt; if you're not living in a severe climate you can replace it belt at 105K miles; if you are in the snow belt replace it at 60K.

For more information about the Protege see the online manual for the related 2002 Protege at http://protege5.ugly.net/
    Of course, have a trusted mechanic give it the once-over.

When you get to the 90,000mi mark, you might want to flush the coolant and transmission fluids, in addition the the regular oil & filter change. Replace plugs and inspect the plug wires (only two, as the other two have their coils on top of them).

You might also check the condition of the struts. Around that time, they may be worn out, as with any other vehicle.

I've got a '99 Pro LX, and it's been very reliable (almost 90,000 miles). I had the MAF sensor replaced under extended warranty. Other than that, I've had to clean the EGR valve out a few times (must be dirty fuel here in OH), and replaced the belt-line window moldings (easier than the manual indicates - I didn't have to remove the rear door interior trim or window glass at all).
  • aartsycraftsyaartsycraftsy Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a transmission for a 1990 Mazda Protege 323. Preferable in the central Florida area. Also would like to know if what I heard is true about having to change the carbuerator if you change the transmission.
  • aartsycraftsyaartsycraftsy Member Posts: 2
    I am knew at this, have I said something wrong, lol. Looking for a transmission for a 1990 Mazda Protege 323, that has already been pulled. Thanks
  • edgehatfieldedgehatfield Member Posts: 2
    Howdy folks -- I've been quoted $610 for the following service at a dealer here in Minneapolis:
    Water Pump
    Timing Belt
    AC Belt
    Power Steering Belt

Is this reasonable, or am I being taken?
    75K miles.

Thanks!
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    Is this your 1st place to look or have you tried other Internet sites?
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    The belts are easy enough if you have the tools & know-how, but the water pump can be tricky if you're a novice. Don't forget that price quoted includes labor which can be +- $85.00 per hour/per task! Each individual item may have it's own task number...
    Don't forget that price quoted includes labor

True. To get to the timing belt and the water pump is a pain, I have been told. It makes sense to do them both at the same time as they are close to each other. The only consolation is that you won't have to do this again for quite a while (2013?).
  • edgehatfieldedgehatfield Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. To the initial question from 11b33t: Yes, I've poked around quite a bit through the years looking for maintenance/forum/discussion-type content and have found this to be the most helpful.

Been tempted to trade-in for something new (love the 3's and the 6's) -- but it's nice not having the car payment for a while.

I alos have an '03 Tribute ES-V6. It's been good to me so far.

Thanks again...
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    Many moons ago there was discussion here of how/where to unblock the air conditioning drain so water does not end up on the passenger side floor. Anyone remember?

BTW - '99 pro es, classic red 5 speed
    You can access the hose from either underneath your car or from inside the passenger footwell.

If you're underneath your car, the exit is a black rubber or plastic port in the firewall, on the passenger side of center, about 6 inches up from the bottom edge of the firewall. If you've recently used your AC, you'll see some water dripping or drooling from it.

From the footwell, you'll see a black rubber hose a few inches up from the front-left corner of the passenger footwell. Pull this hose off the connector and clean it out with a pipe cleaner and also clean out the connector in the firewall.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    It's been a long time since I posted, my 2001 Pro continues to be the best car I've owned considering that at 57K it has had not one problem.

Has anyone gone well past 57K on original brake pads? I do my oil changes at the dealers and they do the usual 99 point (!) inspection stuff. They give me a grading on the brake pads each time (over 50%, between 20-50 etc). The last few oil changes (at 3000 mi) they have been going down fast and I was informed last visit that I need front brakes and rotors turned for $220. They feel good, no squeals (is there a squeal indicator?), rotors look clean. Short of taking it somewhere else, how can I tell if the pads are down to 10% of their original thickness (they say). As you can tell I'm a novice in these matters.
    my 2001 Pro continues to be the best car I've owned ... Has anyone gone well past 57K on original brake pads? ... I need front brakes and rotors turned for $220. They feel good, no squeals (is there a squeal indicator?), rotors look clean ... pads are down to 10% of their original thickness (they say).

Six years on the original brakes is quite an achievement! But, all good things must come to an end.

I'm in almost an identical situation with my 2002 Protege5 with 58K miles (94K km). Everything seems fine but its brake days are numbered. I'm hoping to make it to the spring on them when I'll replace discs and rotors. I've been advised that turning rotors is a temporary fix only (in other words you'll need to replace the rotors afterwards). One test that you can do is to run your fingers across the back of the rotor (that is the side pointing towards the engine); the larger the ridge or lip at the outer edge the more the wear on your brakes.

There is a wear indicator that will squeal when your brakes need replacement.

Suggestion: call around to find out the price of the repair and your options. That way when you know the job needs to be done, you'll be prepared.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    45,000 miles. Just changed the oil and rotated tires tonight. 5w30 synthetic and Mazda filter. Still have more miles to go on the original brakes.
    No defects or problems with this Protege other than an emissions recall and that did not affect how the car ran.
    This is a fun car to drive. More fun than my Mazda6 and more fun than the Mazda3 IMHO.
    This is a fun car to drive. More fun than ... the Mazda3

Agreed. I find the Mazda3 is a more substantial car whereas the P5 is more loose and fun; eventually I'll grow up and like the Mazda3 ;)
    Well my mechanic (whom I do trust) confirmed the front pads needed to be replaced. His price was a lot less. I did ask him to use Mazda pads. On my daily commute I use brakes as sparingly as possible, coasting to stops, staying behind several car lengths in stop and go traffic, which doesn't endear me to the leadfeet. So I thought I'd go a lot further than 56K. One thing that surprises me is the battery which is now 5+ yrs old..
    my mechanic (whom I do trust) confirmed the front pads needed to be replaced
    Good! Did he mention anything about the state of your rotors and your rear brakes? The brakes on my Protege5 finally gave way (after 95K km. or almost 60K miles). The brake light started to illuminate at every stop so I knew I was due! I decided on replacing the whole shebang (front and rear with new pads and rotors). My dealer provided a 10% discount, but it was a hefty bill. The results: marvellous control!

the battery ... is now 5+ yrs old
    Yes, 5+ years on a battery is good. You may want to have it checked periodically. My understanding is that an older battery puts extra demands on the alternator; in effect, the alternator compensates for the weak battery. Replacing a battery is cheap, replacing an alternator is not. My 5+ year old battery was fine but I decided with the miserably cold winters in Canada that it may not make it to the 6th season so I replaced it last month for under $90 installed. One tow would have cost me more. :sick:
  • croft77croft77 Member Posts: 2
    I have somewhat of a problem, wonder if anyone knows the answer to this..I am trying to replace a catalytic converter assembly on my 1997 Mazda Protege LX. I do not have an owner's manual for the car.

Apparently there are two (2) different catalytic converters, depending on whether your MAZDA has a 1.5 L engine or a 1.8 L engine. I cannot find this info anywhere on the engine, in the engine compartment or anywhere else on the vehicle. Sometimes the VIN identifies these things, but I do not know how to interpret the number...
    The VIN on my vehicle starts with JM and ends in 7 digits. If anyone can tell me how to get this info I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Doug
  • bigblue4101bigblue4101 Member Posts: 2
    i own a '92 mazda protege dx, it has a L4 engine. does anyone here know if you can swap out an inline with a V-type?
    Sure, what do you want: a V-6, V-8, V-12 or V-16?

You can do anything; all it takes is money.
  • bigblue4101bigblue4101 Member Posts: 2
    Maltb, I was thinking of putting a V6 in it. however, I am not sure of where to look for such an engine. I want one that will put out around 300 Hp and torque. Has good fuel economy. And I want to turborize it, to give it a little more power. can you give me any advice on where I might obtain such a motor?
    I was being sarcastic in my original response. The money you will spend making a V-6 fit and work properly would be better spent on a car closer to what your target is. The weight of a v-6 is going to make the car handle even worse and your torque steer will be horrible.

Does this car have some sentimental value or are you just looking to make the ultimate sleeper stoplight racer?
  • mackeronimackeroni Member Posts: 2
    Terry... I was wondering how the 205/55/16 size tires are working on the Protege5. I need new tires and want to switch to Michelin X Radials, 80,000 mile tires. I've been running T/A 205/50/16's, but they only lasted about 35,000 miles.

Anyway... let me know if you have any advice. Thanks! Mackeroni
    T/A 205/50/16

Are they the BFGoodrich V rated tires?
  • mackeronimackeroni Member Posts: 2
    Yup. T/A V's. Why do you ask?
    I am riding on them myself. Since they have under 10K miles they are fine for now. I thought they were rated to last approx. 60K.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    They won't last anywhere near 60k. If you get 40k out of them you will be doing good. When I bought my set I thought it pretty unusual that a V rated tire could get 60k, but because of the difficulty in finding this size tire, I bought them knowing the 60k mileage hype was bull. I had Sears replace two of them at about 25k because of the excessive wear. They did it without any fuss, but told me I should rotate them every 3k instead of the 5k schedule I was using.
    Interesting that you mentioned rotating these tires. When I originally rotated them I followed the usual cross pattern (Right Front rotated with Left Rear; Left Front with Right Rear) and then experienced some awful driving. When I brought the car in for an oil changed I asked the tech at the dealer to do a wheel alignment. They checked the tires and realized that these tires are uni-directional and do not use the cross pattern in the rotation (i.e they are rotated Right Front to Right Rear and Left Front to Left Rear). He told me that if I had kept running on them I could have ruined the tire plies. The tires sure enough ran much smoother as a result. Bonus: I was not charged for a wheel alignment!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    If the tires are uni-directional then there are arrows on each tire to indicate direction of rotation.
    If the tires are uni-directional then there are arrows on each tire to indicate direction of rotation.

True!
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    Taking the car to Sears to try and get some kind of prorated adjustment on the front set of tires. They got 40k and are down to the bare minimum tread. Since they're supposedly 60k tires, I hope to get about a 33% credit towards a new pair. Won't hurt to try.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday so that means it's Mazda chat time again! Stop in tonight and meet and greet some of your fellow CarSpace members. We'll talk anything and everything Mazda, automotive, and just plain have a good time.

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    got 40k and are down to the bare minimum tread. Since they're supposedly 60k tires, I hope to get about a 33% credit

Good luck. I imagine that Sears will claim the tire life depends on your driving style and proof of your maintenance (i.e. tire rotation). Let us know the outcome.
  • titofishtitofish Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 03' Protege LX to replace my 94 DX. Hopefully the LX will last until I can find another car that I love as much as Proteges. BRING THEM BACK MAZDA!! So anyway I'm new here.