Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    One minute you're mad as hell and never-gonna-buy-another-damned-Protege again, and the next minute you're drooling with anticipation of "opening my ES up on the open road." You keep my head spinning!

I'm pushing for having the next MAPP in October due to (a) I'm going on vacation with my family in September, and (b) the baby will be that much older and better at traveling.

Regarding noise in the back seat: While I haven't ridden back there in my 2000 ES, my wife and Sean do all the time now. I have never heard either of them complain about any noise. You guys keep in mind that the tires on the ES (2000: Poortenzas, 2001: Dunloppeds), are inherently noisy tires. I'm planning on changing out my Poortenzas for something more (a) quiet, (b) safe, and (c) long-lasting in the next few months -- maybe even in time for MAPP. That'd be something interesting, if a few of us (Larry, you too maybe?) had new tires by then and we could all do an in-person comparo.

Sorry I was non-existant yesterday. I couldn't get to the Town Hall section -- kept getting error messages. Don't know if the problem was on my server or with Edmunds.

Zoom Zooming at 24,000 miles!

Meade
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I basically like the car alot, but the niggling little problems with a new car were starting to get to me. Things happen though, and the car is really fun to drive and all. And also, the dealership washed, detailed, and waxed the car for me yesterday for my inconvenience (believe me, I let them know about it too). When I got there to get the car yesterday, I had to wait about 10 minutes for them to bring it up front. When they did, I almost got weak-kneed. Looked exactly how it looked that day in February on the showroom floor. Now I remember why I got the black. :) Anyway, all is well in Protege land again. :)

Also, the problem yetserday was Edmund's. I had trouble getting on, and had a talk with my IT guy. He said it was their problem, not ours here at work.
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Congrats on your new car, sounds very nice.

AC- I think it works most of the time very well. But it doesn't seem to get very cold when sitting or moving slowly in traffic. At higher speeds though, it blows nice and cold. I've also forgotten powerful the car is. I've been driving with the AC on mostly for the last couple of months, but over the weekend, it was cool here in Maryland during the evening, and I took the opportunity to turn off the AC and open the windows. The car moved. I know the AC puts quite a load on the engine, but I'd forgotten what it felt like with no AC.

Also, no one has complained about noise from the back seat. My dad's 2000 Sable has much more wind noise than my car.

Steve
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Speedy pete, Meade, and Sfrat, are all back. Seems like the old days! ;-)

-Larry
    I'm not sure if, I'll have new tires for "MAPP 2"? I know, my Bridgestones' have at least 7,500 to 12,500 miles left in them yet. I can't decide if I want to go with a couple of sets of snow tires and wait until next spring for new high performance shoes or just wait until January and get a nice set of all season treads? I got some time to think about it.

-Larry
  • mjm12mjm12 Member Posts: 4
    Stan, did the price you listed include TT+L ?

Black coupe v6, Did you sell or trade your honda and buy the pro because you didn,t like the v6 or do you still have the honda. I'm interested because these two cars are what i'm thinking of buying. Which do you prefer?
    I wouldn't recommend putting any more than 25,000 miles on those Bridgestones. They may look like they've got some tread -- but how they'll actually perform in the rain is another whole story. Haven't you noticed how very little traction those tires give you when you're taking off from a stoplight on wet pavement? I have even more trouble since I have a five-speed. I'm not risking my life AGAIN for these shameful tires.

And yes, it does look like old times! By the way, has anyone ever heard from Vic again? You MAPP attendees from last year may remember that he was the one with the beige LX. I haven't heard from him in a while. Did he fall off the planet?

Meade
  • black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    I sold the Accord about a month ago.

I bought the 01 Accord back on Oct 3 2000. I put 14,000 miles on the car and it was flawless. It was Nighthawk Black w/ charcoal leather and I put some 17" Konig Tantrums on it. I absolutely loved that car. I loved looking at it and driving it. And after almost 1 year and 14,000 miles I still got $19,500 for it by selling it to Carmax.

Then why did I sell it you ask...temporary insanity. But what's done is done and since I am now putting 25% of my pay into my 401k and my stock purchase the Protege is a more comfortable expenditure. And not to mention, with 0.0% interest I can have this car paid of in no time and then be ready to pick up my Acura 3.2CL Type S for my 25th birtday ;)

If I were choosing between the Accord V6 and the Protege..the Accord is a better, faster, bigger car. But you also pay for it. I calculated the difference between the Protege @ 0.0% financing and the Accord I had to be in excess of $15,000 after all was said and done. If you are paying cash the difference is down closer to $7,500. The Accord, to me, is worth $7,500 more. But you won't be disappointed with a Protege because for it's size and price it is one heckuva car.
    Who are you talking about with the beige Protege LX? His name wasn't Vic, it was Jamison. And since you all cracked on my DX last year because it was the only one there, I can crack on yours because I will have the only 2001. :) Just kidding.
    Very nice guy, very quite guy. I don't think he posted more than once after the picnic. I hope my cooking didn't kill him, lol!!

-Larry
    That's right, Jamison. Thanx for the correction. Anybody heard from him lately?

And you missed the point. We cracked on you last year because you were the odd man out with the only non-2000 Protege. Well, we're gonna crack on you again because you'll STILL have the only non-2000 Protege!!!!

HA HA HA!!!!!!! (JK, eh?)

:)

Meadeball
    I just found Jamison's handle here ... he went by jb48. While his last post on the Protege topic was way back last year, I found a post by him on the "What's the stupidest thing you've ever seen other drivers do" (or whatever) topic from May 31 of this year. So he probably is still alive.

I went to his profile and got his e-mail address again, and e-mailed him a message asking him to reply to me, or at least come on over here and let us know he's alive.

I'll let you guys know if I hear from him!

Meade
    I have one too. Hopefully we can get some of the P5 owners to come as well. BTW, has anyone actually seen one of the MP3's on the road? I would love to get the aluminum pedals and exhaust for my ES.
    OK everybody, I know we've got a lot of new people on here compared to this time last year, so I'd like to conduct an informal poll of where the heck some of you live (generally speaking, of course) as we begin to plan the second installment of the Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic.

Last year we had:

Larry (+2) from Lancaster, PA
    Paul (+1) from Baltimore, MD
    Jamison from Washington, DC
    Meade (+1) from Richmond, VA
    Tom from Richmond, VA

In an effort to find a "central" meeting place, we arranged to have MAPP at a state park in northern Virginia because of (a) the scenery and zoom-zoomability of getting there on scenic roads, and (b) we could rent a shelter, in case of rain, at the park for virtual peanuts. All in all I think it worked out well, except for the fact that Paul won't shut up about the distance he had to drive ... the wussy weasel. :)

In order to try and identify a "midway" point for this year's proposed gathering in late September or October, I'd like a show of hands (by posting here) if you'd be interested in coming (this means bringing FOOD as well as yourself!!!), and where you're located (city and state).

Please keep in mind that we're covering a few states here. Even though Paul will tell you I'm a slug who made the trip convenient for myself last year, I'll quip right back that it was a 140-mile trip that took me nearly three hours because I had no direct interstate-highway route to the site. (But yes, I am still a slug.)

Anyway, everybody from PA to the Carolinas (or farther, if you're really into zoom-zooming) is welcome! You know the admission requirements. Post something here, or if you don't feel comfortable doing that, e-mail me at:

mdaffron@the-rma.org

As with last year, I'll keep whatever site we choose confidential -- only between those who are going -- so we don't get any unwelcome party crashers. So if you want to come, I eventually will need your e-mail address. (Hey, I gave you mine first!)

Post or e-mail away, and let's make MAPP2 something special!!!

Meade
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    all the talk about a MAPP makes me jealous. Can we do a satelite link-up to the PCPP(pacific coast protege picnic)? Is there any support for such an event?

• manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    I just bought (last weekend) a 2001 Protege ES with a manual transmission and moonroof for $13,475 + TTL using the S-Plan and $1400 worth of rebates. Here in Austin there's a credit union that gives 5.9% financing for up to 60 months.

PRO's:

price
    nimble handling
    attractive styling
    good gas mileage
    excellent reputation for reliability
    body feels tight, no rattles
    fun to drive with a manual shifter
    excellent value

CON's:

needs a little more acceleration
    road noise from the tires can be loud
    stereo may need a subwoofer
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I would love to come to that...would be a great chance to see everybody's Pros. However, being up in Canada, it would be an extremely long drive. The MAPP is a great idea though...perhaps next year it could be planned for somewhere near the US/Canadian border... :) Just a thought! Happy Zoom zooming!

Protege_fan
    Count me in for MAPP #2. I'm toying with the idea of getting a friend to drive my other PRO-ES down. My wife, understandably wants to go, in one car as a family. However, it would be real cool to have both my "good little racers" at the picnic! BTW, is understandably a "real word" and if so, did I spell it correctly?
    -Larry
    Only kidding about the distance. Hell, I drive 100 milea a day just to get back and forth to work. I don't mind the drive. I actually enjoyed the scenic ride all the way up and back. I have been waiting for the MAPP2 because I had a great time last year. But this year, my friend won't be coming with me. He was my roommate, but he decided to move out this past week.
    Understandably is a real word and yes, you did spell it correctly.

Oh, definitely count me in for the MAPP2. I will be there. :)
    Thank you. Your very understanding! Hehe!!:-)

-Larry
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    Sounds very tempting. What kind of food items are we looking for?

Krotine
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    sounds interesting... probably want to post a message in the Pro5 thread and see if any of the Pro5 owners around the area would like to join...
  • notminehersnotminehers Member Posts: 42
    I feel like the lone ranger up here in Seattle......I have driven to L.A. many times - if there is a Pro picnic don't count me out yet!!About a 22 hour drive.....or less depending how much Zoom-Zoom I do.
    I can tell you last year (because I went) that there was some good food. We had a little wine, lasagna, cold salads and stuff, and hamburgers and hot dogs of course. It was definitely a pretty good time had by all, and the pics prove it. :)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Technically, OH is a mid-atlantic state (at least in some minds), although its culture is definitely midwestern. Still, I might be interested. I'm just north of Cincinnati, OH. I think it me about 12 hours to get to DC the last time I went.
  • black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    I am in Atlanta..but a little drive never scared me away..I used to drive to Alabama just to eat at a fast food Italian place :) Not to mention I have done a few trips to Richmond and back within 24 hours.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    As I said before, I wish I could make it to MAPP 2. Sounds like a lot of fun. Anyway, I was thinking; would Edmunds "sponsor" MAPP somehow, be it in the form of gifts, prizes, etc. IMHO, it would be a great way for Edmunds to do a little bit of free advertising while fostering good relations between its patrons. Just a thought I had. :)

Pro_fan
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I would absolutely love to do a Pacific Coast Protege Picnic. Who here is on the west coast and from where? I'll start a list. Zoom Zoom!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is a possibility we could interest the powers that be in providing some items of interest.

Once all the details - date, place, POC, etc. - are worked out, get them all into one post here (and/or an email to me) and I'll be happy to see if we can make something happen.

Sounds like fun!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    that would be fine too. :-)
    I'd venture up to Santa Monica for that...I'm sore Jerry would as well. Where has Hboyd been?

• newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Hey, anyone in the Midwest want to do a PP? We could have it in Chicago or something since Minneapolis seems a little out of the way for most midwesterners. Is there anyone in here from the upper midwest besides me?
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    ok you talked me into going to mapp2 this year. anytime after the month of august and before it snows is good. just email me the final details at jason_krotine@limbachinc.com

krotine
  • notminehersnotminehers Member Posts: 42
    Being from the arctic north...Seattle :) - would be difficult for me to attend.....however, my wife and I may drive to L.A. the week after Labor Day for vacation - if anything is planned then I may be able to join in...keep us posted
    Thanks, Greg
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    I would come to a MWPP ( I think I called it a CAPP Chicago Area Protege Picnic) and would love to host or help organize! We could shoot for mid-September...whattayousay?

Regards and awaiting your response,

Pete

P.S. I am getting my new Illinois License plates in about 3-4 weeks...personalized of course...what did I get? What else!

PROTEG3

I needed to put a "3" at the end, but since I'm on my 3rd Pro and it kinda looks like a backwards "E" I thought it was clever. What do you all think? If you see me driving around once I've got it...beep your horn and say Hi!!!
  • laurakatlaurakat Member Posts: 69
    I'd definitely be interested in a MWPP or CAPP! I'm not a Protege owner yet, however I may be one soon! I'm seriously considering replacing my aging Intrepid with a smaller car. My choices have boiled down to the Protege and Civic (LX version for both). I absolutely love the shifter on the Civic (I'm would be buying a 5spd. No slush box for me. Our Town & Country "Family Truckster" has a slush box already). However, I like the looks of Protege and the level of equipment for the money (free alloys/moonroof, standard CD player). Plus, the 0% financing certainly makes it attractive. I'll be making a decision probably by mid August.

One thing I must say that is helping my decision is this forum. While I havn't posted much because I'm not yet an owner of one of these fine cars, I've been keeping up with many topics on the forum, including the Protege, Civic, Sentra, Elantra, and various small sedan comparison topics. While the Civic is a fine car and I'm sure I'd be happy to own one (I used to own a '90 Civic that I loved for all of the 130k trouble free miles I put on), there is a lot of enthusiasm by Protege owners all over this forum. While no car is perfect, the Protege seems to invoke a passion among many of it's owners. To me, that's a big selling point!

I'll keep you posted on my car-buying decision as it progresses.

Mike.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Menu suggestions:

Baked potato wraped in foil cooked over charcoal.
    same for corn on the cob.

Bush Vegitarian baked beans, easy to heat, buy in medium-size cans, easy to transport. Not cooked with pork. No refrigeration needed.

Hamburgers, but requires ice chest to preserve until cooked. Same for hotdogs. Hotdogs easier to fix over charcoal, with mustard and chopped onion. Put chopped onion in jars for transport and in the ice chest later.

Hamburger: Ground round is leaner. Mayo, dogs and beef need to be on ice.

Maybe better idea: When you are near the MAPP2 site stop at the nearest KFC and buy a bucket of fried chicken, biscuits and cole slaw.

Ditto for wine and/or beer, cola etc. Fill up ice chest.

Pickles, chips etc. Dips require ice chest.

Cake (bring knife to cut with), chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies. Bake before leaving home and DON'T eat'um on the way!

Carry only cooking pans (for beans) and ice chests from home.

Buy paper plates and plastic forks etc. near picnic site. Bring plastic trash bags for cleaning up picnic area before leaving.

Keep in mind that buying in Virginia, if held in that state, the sales tax is only 4.5%. ;)

fowler3
    Ok, Fowler you are now the MAPP(Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic) head chef, hehe! The real question Jim, where do you live and are you coming? :-)

Respectfully,
    Larry
    How about you my friend, MAPP#2 will be better if you are there!

-Larry
    I'm really impressed with Karen our host. She has already listed Jim Fowler has our community leader at the top of the "Mazda Protege Owners Topic" page. Congrats Jim and a very sincere thank you for accepting the position. Now can you get us all free Edmunds.com key chains and hats? Hehe, just kidding!

-Larry
    I'm gone for 16 hours (no computer at home, everyone!) and what a response! Even detailed menu items! OK, I guess I'll start making a list of who's coming from where, so I can start coming up with location ideas. Is that OK with everyone?

I had an idea that relates to the food Larry brought last time. Since he's from Lancaster, PA (Pennsylvania Dutch Country) he brought Shoo-Fly Pie (I believe that's the colloquial spelling) and Amish Cole Slaw. That was cool. My idea for this year is, since we're all coming from different areas with their own identities, let's all bring something our regions are known for -- in addition to the standard burger and dogs and chips that we can all chip in for & bring. For instance, I could bring some Virginia Ham Biscuits. (Hey -- I'd bring Chesapeake Bay Oysters, but I don't know if I love y'all that much!!!)

Sorry. Had to get a "y'all" in there somewhere. For regional flavor, you understand. Are you "understandably" amused, Larry? :)

This is starting to sound fun. And maybe we can get more than five cars (three of them Emerald Mica, lol!!!) and nine people this year!

I got so excited at the prospects of this new MAPP yesterday that I didn't even turn on the stereo for my 19-mile ride home from work. I had the windows down, the a/c off and the Protege zoom-zoomin'! But it then occurred to me that many of you may not be able to decide if you can come until we nail down a date. So let me be the first to throw out a possibility:

Saturday, October 6, 2001

Reasons:
    That's only nine weeks from now, and we do need a little time to prepare.
    Still mild weather.
    If held in northern Virginia again, and in or near the mountains, foliage will be nice.
    Kids are back in school -- not as much activity in parks (i.e. camping, picnicking etc.)
    Va. state parks keep facilities operating until end of October.

Any comments?

Meade
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Thanks for the invitation but with a full time job + 3 course/semester master's degree going on, it's getting difficult to even get time for my family on weekends...lotsa homework.

BTW, I needed to get my 30,000 mile service done.
    The dealer quoted the follwing:

1. Overall inspection & lubrication of suspension,etc + engine oil/filter + change of Spark plugs - $299.95

2. tranny fluid change + filter clean - $129.95

Dos this sound correct?
    Don't they have to replace the tranny filter? or cleaning is good?
    That sounds great to me. I will be coming from Bethesda, MD.

I will try to think of something "local" to bring, other than crabs, which are in the same league as oysters.

I'm glad Fowler's got the important details worked out.....like the menu. Now I know why we chose him as our group leader. :-) Although, I didn't see any Carolina BBQ on that menu.

Steve
    Weak excuse! I bet half of us are in school as well.

For $299, they probably want to do more than the owner's manual suggests. Ask for details.

My guess is that that trans service includes a power flush of the trans and cooler.

OK, here's a preliminary list, and we already look better than last year. (Don't worry -- being on this list doesn't mean you're committed to being there -- I'm just trying to get an early idea of where people will be coming from.)

Meade (+2), from Richmond, VA (mdaffron)

Larry (+2), from Lancaster, PA (protegextwo)

Paul, from Baltimore, MD (vocus)

James (Jim?) (fowler3)

Jason, from Pittsburgh, PA, (krotine)

Chow-chi, from Cincinnati, OH (mazdafun)

Cindy, from Atlanta, GA (black01coupev6)

I need e-mail addresses from fowler3, vocus, mazdafun and black01coupev6. (Sorry Paul, I have a new computer and I've lost your address!)

fowler3, I need your city & state. I think I remember you saying you're in NC, but the brain's getting old.

All: Please try to let me know how the number of people in your party.

You guys can post the needed info here, or e-mail me directly at: mdaffron@the-rma.org

Keep those comments and confirmations coming! Cindy, are you really interested in driving all the way from Atlanta? Now THAT'S being in love with your car! (I have relatives in Atlanta and I don't relish that trip unless it's at 32,000 feet with a bloody mary in my hand!)

One more thing: If you'd like to see how much fun we had last year, check out this link:

http://www.geocities.com/negatize/mapp.htm

Because of Edmunds, you'll have to copy the link and paste it into your browser's address window. Simply clicking on it here won't work.

Meade

I was typing that when you posted. So I've added Steve from Bethesda, MD (sfrat) to the list. Thanks!

Meade
    I was almost in tears when I didn't see my name on the first list. :-) I did neglect to give you my email address.

SteveFratt@aol.com
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    chowchi@aol.com

Thanks Meade!

And thanks to fowler3 for the menu.

Not that you have to schedule around it (although I do hope I can go to MAPP2), but I'm going river-rafting the weekend of 09/22-23.
    Thanks for the e-mail addresses.

And thanks for the advisement on your river-rafting trip ... now we have an even better reason for October 6.

Meade