Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    eln001eln001 Member Posts: 32
    Since Brilliance Honda of Crystal Lake in Crystal Lake, Illinois has new ownership, they have significantly increased their used car department. At this time, I believe a Honda buyer has a unique opportunity to get the most value for their trade-in. So far, their price quotes and sales to forum members have been the lowest reported on this message board. I will give you the same advice that I have given other forum members: Call Brilliance Honda and ask to speak to the Dealer Trade Manager. This person will route your call to someone who can give you an internet quote and advise you on your trade-in.
  • Options
    According to pauhlee 316 in message #13002, Brilliance Honda of Crystal Lake in Crystal Lake, Illinois sold an Ody EX-L for 26,700.
  • Options
    bks191bks191 Member Posts: 9
    Ended up this morning at Honda East in Columbus. They had originally quoted me 27,500 (best in Columbus.) Had quote for Rick Roush Medina Honda for 27,268 plus a 2 pm appointment to meet with internet salesperson there. Met with internet salesperson at Honda East. Great guy. He ended up beating Medina quote by $20. Through our informal negotiation process got him to reduce his quote by another $223. I ended up at $27048 + TT. On the trade, I ended up within less than $100 of KBB (between + 200 boost on trade plus the tax savings on the trade,) so I felt out that I came out reasonably well there. Spent yesterday on the phone with 2 Chicago dealers. After their best attempts, they may (could not definitely tell me) have beaten this price by $98. Talked with the 2 NJ dealerships mentioned very frequently. Rt. 22 (27,257 after destination + other fees) and Planet Still couldn't get a straight answer on fees on 26,800 quote) Obviously, after today's negotiation, could not justify 12-16 hours on the road plus expenses for what would have at best been minimal savings. Tried yesterday to deal W/Immke-My wife and I walked out after 20 minutes of being ignored. One salesman seemed more interested in his cigarette than selling a car. Any one in Ohio looking, I would recommend either Honda East or Roush Medina for quotes. Both were competitive, professional, and helpful (Roush was going to dealer trade @ that price to get one in the color that my wife wanted.) We are happy with the van and the deal. Also happy that her car is good for a few more years. Also:SW OH I had not received anything from Performance in Cinci as of this morning.
  • Options
    mcmarkmcmark Member Posts: 5
    Was offered the Touring /Navi/DVD for $37,830 OTD.

Is that a good deal?
  • Options
    rrsafetyrrsafety Member Posts: 38
    Looks like everyone is shopping for the EX-L, but anyone with experience in purchasing just the base EX?

MSRP: $28,945
    Inv.: $26,102
    TMV : $26,475

I think there is also a manufacturer to dealer $500 floating out there (which I'll assume is mine... lol). Any insight as to what I should expect to pay and what I should do next would be great... and if I do a round of internet emailing, does that mean I have to continue to deal with the internet salesman? If I get an internet quote , can I bring that into any salesman at the dealership and start the process or am I the internet salesman's "customer"?

Thanks.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Most recent EX sales reports have been in $25,xxx with a few dipping into the high 24K range.

The "process" has already been started by your contact with the internet person.
  • Options
    So glad to see that things worked out for you locally. Enjoy your new van!
  • Options
    What I found out yesterday (even though we bought EXL, I was leaning toward EX because of price.) Had dealer price out both. While I don't remember the exact, the spread off of invoice was the same (approx 24900 I was quoted.) In regards to the internet process--this was the first time that I had ever bought a car in this manner, (although I bought my Taurus over the phone.) In my opinion, this is the only way I will ever buy a car again. I walked in, there was no BS or Drama, already had MSRP whittled down to a reasonable level, Did not have salesperson running to sales manager every 30 seconds for permission or reinforcement. It was a very professional (and as much as I hate to say it) relaxing and refreshing process. At the end after our internet salesperson walked us through the van I asked the same question. He said that I probably could have received the same price that I did but that it would have ended up being a process instead of an event. It took us 3 hours (2.5 hours was spent taking care of paperwork/prepping the van) Last thing I would say in regard to the process--once you start getting quotes you will know who you want to follow up with (and I am not talking just about $.) I found that fortunately many of the dealerships that I encountered have embraced the internet process and have utilized it as a seamless, time efficient way to buy a car. Others seem to think it is a easy way to get sales tips and want to use it as a way to get the customer in and give them the "beatdown" the old fashioned way. In my case, It wasn't the guys the e-mailed me 10-14 times and heckled me that got the deal or the ones that thought that "e-mail response" meant that they needed to fill up my voice mail that earned my business. It was the ones that e-mailed me once that I went to and bought from. Hope this was of some help.
  • Options
    jamesejamese Member Posts: 3
    Anyone Been shopping in the NYC area and have any advice or good/bad experiences with dealerships in and around the area. Also If anyone has any prices they were offered or paid, it would be a great help..I already learned so much from you people and I thank you for it....

Lookin in Brooklyn
    James
  • Options
    rt88rt88 Member Posts: 2
    Three days ago I purchased on EXL W/DVD. In south Florida
    MSRP 32,949
    Invoice 29,806

I ended up with rate of 28,639, which includes destination. I believe there still is a $500 factory to dealer incentive for month of Jun. Internet worked great for me. Once you deal with Internet sales person for price they will expect you to continue dealing with them. I looked into many minivans and Honda was great for e-mailing quotes to me. They will try to ask you to come down to dealership. Let them know in advance that you are doing all your shopping over the Internet and phone and will only walk into the dealership on the day the purchase will be made. Ask them to give you their best OTD price with breakdown of destination and taxes. When you've collected your best bid, before you head out to the dealership give all those that played the game one final shot at earning your business. Let them know you are going to purchase the car today and ask them if they can beat your best price. They will either beat the others price or not. The next few days of this month is a good time to purchase. This month ends on a Mon- Fri week. The dealership will be empty during the last 5 days of the month.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • Options
    steveexlsteveexl Member Posts: 3
    I'd be happy to take you up on the offer of help. I live in NYC and want a new 2006 EXL, either to buy or lease. What are the best prices and where can I find them?
  • Options
    njcars1njcars1 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a odyssey in nj/pa next week.
    - Sage Brush Pearl with ivory interior
    - EXL res

How do i go about doing a internet only purchase. Dont have the patience to go various dealers to haggle.

I dont dont see any good apr on the odyssey as yet. I was wondering if 29k is a decent offer for the above model ?

Also anyone tried the costco car purchase program ?

Is it good idea to wait couple of more months to get a better deal ?
  • Options
    donm23donm23 Member Posts: 12
    I wound up at Schaller after getting quotes from others. No games or nonsense. I have bought from them before and will do so again. I simply emailed them my desired out the door price and they agreed via email and phone. Gave a deposit over the phone and went in that day to do the paperwork. Very easy.
  • Options
    twitchylegstwitchylegs Member Posts: 2
    I've noticed many other dealers are having year end clearance sales (Ford, Chevy, etc). I'm interested in buying an 06 Odyssey EX in July. Anyone know if Honda offers clearance sales to get rid of the older models? If so, when? I heard that 07 models come out in September. Is it worth it to wait for a sale (can you save a lot of money) or should I just purchase now?

thanks
  • Options
    bamabuyerbamabuyer Member Posts: 1
    twitchylegs,
    From what I can gather from the market, Honda is not going to do much price reduction. You are right that the '07 are coming out in September. Production on the '06's is done so what dealers have on their lots is it. If you have a particular model or color in mind you might want to buy soon as the choices will narrow as the inventory does. However, if you aren't particular, you might get a better deal in August or September. In our situation, we have been looking at vans since February and hoping to buy this summer. By waiting, we now have to see if a local dealer can trade for the model we want (EX-L, Redrock Pearl). We've placed a $500 deposit to see if our dealer can find it.
  • Options
    vpatlavpatla Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me how much I should be paying for an Odyssey with navigation and entertainment (EXLN)? I live in NJ and will be buying in the nex couple of weeks. Any help in this regard will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    mss1144mss1144 Member Posts: 17
    My out the door price is 37,057. 1400 below invoice and no doc fees. Extra fee of plates(70) and (87.50)tl. Mad the deal in 5 minutes over the phone after shopping for prices for 2 weeks. Could have gotten the same in NJ(1400 below invoice + 189 mv + 199 doc but they did not have the color i wanted. Hope this helps all in ny. nj area.
  • Options
    Where did you go for that price and what was it you were looking for? I am looking for a touring with res and navi and all the dealers around here are telling me 1k over invoice to start or 39.5 to 40.5 OTD...

Thanks..
  • Options
    I was looking for silver with grey interior(several dealers told me its hard to get). called the dealer got the deal
    invoice 35448
    X 8.375%
    + 87.50

otd 36,987
    Made the deal over the phone, in the dealership total of 15 minutes. Sales manager had a salesman finalize the deal(he couldnt believe the numbers). Staten Island Honda what a great experience.
  • Options
    hasmanhasman Member Posts: 9
    The lowest price quote I got for the EX in the Chicagoland area was $ 25,211.00 including destination. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    Can you mention the dealer you got this? My brother is looking for a lease on one in S. Fla and that sounds like a good deal for the price of the car.

Robert Weisberg
  • Options
    What is the best OTD price for a 2006 Honda Odyssey redrock pearl (or blue, if the price is different) for the NYC area?

I posted this question on Sunday, but while I reportedly received a response from someone, it could not be found when I searched and I think it may have been deleted. I'm looking for an immediate purchase. Dealership name and location recommendations for this rock-bottom price are requested, if possible.

Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    rt88rt88 Member Posts: 2
    Robert,

Yes, it was Maroone Honda just off the Palmetto and Red Road (57th.)

Good luck !!
  • Options
    sammy2074sammy2074 Member Posts: 8
    I bought one two weeks back in Chicago (Ocean Mist Blue) OTD was 27059 + TTL + DOC Fees= 29310 (Approx).
  • Options
    s1ginss1gins Member Posts: 51
    I got a couple of prices off of the internet for an Odyssey EX-L with Navi and RES last week and visited two dealerships on Saturday. Walked out with the new car that afternoon with the deal they emailed and with them taking the last month of my lease.

I was able to get black (the color I wanted) for $1200 under invoice at Open Road Honda.
  • Options
    To all that live in NJ

Planet honda and rt 22 honda offered me any style I wanted for 1400 below invoice. Doc fees for both 189, Mv 189

thats it nothing else. If they would of had the color i wanted i would have bought. Stick to this 1400 below as your price.
  • Options
    What is invoice for the EXL? I don't know that amount so, respectfully, I don't know the value of $1400 below invoice.
  • Options
    zmydustzmydust Member Posts: 2
    He's not a salesman but I am , worrying about $32 is silly . You'll spend more in gas trying to go get it. Find a deal you're comfortable with and just buy the thing. It seems most people on here are working themselves to death to save minuscule amounts of money. No one argues about 100.00 on a house, and that is a much more sizeable and lengthy purchase.

I'll be honest , we as salespeople find this more than humorous to read. We know all the trick of this trade and when we go to purchase a vehicle we offer 500.00 over invoice minus incentives. At that price we are more than comfortable and have alot less headache with the, " could I have saved 32 more dollars " worries.

Jonathan
  • Options
    donm23donm23 Member Posts: 12
    $28258
  • Options
    crmtjmcrmtjm Member Posts: 1
    Do manufacturer to dealer incentives count when your figuring that amount?

Thanks!
    Chris
  • Options
    Planet honda and rt 22 honda offered me any style I wanted for 1400 below invoice. Doc fees for both 189, Mv 189

Anybody know what the poster means by: "Doc fees for both 189, Mv 189"
  • Options
    sw_ohsw_oh Member Posts: 23
    Just bought a Silver Pearl EXL today for $27,000 with mud guards. Add the tax (6.5%) and title/doc fee of $125 and I got it OTD at $28,880 at Castrucci of Dayton. Original offer was yesterday morning at $27,105. They called this morning and I told them I would buy today for $27,000 with mud guards. Twenty minutes later they called back and said it will be ready by 3pm. The EXL had four miles and the salesman said it had only been on the lot for six days. I am now a happy Ody owner and these forum postings have been very informative and beneficial.
  • Options
    Congrats... what is that, about $1200 under invoice?
  • Options
    sw_ohsw_oh Member Posts: 23
    I believe invoice for an EXL with destination is $28,258. So I guess one could say it was officially $1258 under invoice. I tried to use the triple net method that s65 helped explain a few weeks back to give me an area target price. I figured $27,000 would be a real good price to shoot for in my area and was glad to reach it today with a very cooperating dealership.
  • Options
    I figured that I might respond to this because I am the one who allegedly is worrying over $32. When I first came upon this forum, there was a lot of talk about 1500 under invoice and the "triple-net method." I commented that I had received a quote that was 1468 under and asked where people were getting the 1500 under quotes at. What I did not mention, and perhaps would have clarified this misunderstanding, was that once the fees were added into this 1468 under deal, it would have cost me more that the 1210 under deal which I took. Therefore, if you end up paying 300-400 padding in fees, where is it 1500 under? Seems more like 1100 -1200 under to me.

Based, on my experience, about the only way anyone (at least in my area) is going to get 1500 under is if the dealership controls the financing and can sell enough add-ons to make up the deficit. Dealt with a dealer who entertained 1500 under until he realized it was a cash deal and I would not be financing w/ the dealership. Anyone want to guess how much longer that conversation went on. I'm not saying that it is impossible to aim for the "triple net ;" however, timing, quotas, etc must impact favorably for that to happen.

I fully understand the magic of numbers and that one can make them represent anything that they want. I also understand that no one in business can continually sell anything under cost and stay in business. What I was frustrated about at this posting, was the inablilty of anyone I had dealt with up to that point to deal straight-up. I'm glad to say that I found a salesperson that had that ability, with over 21 years of experience at the SAME dealership who was able to give me a deal I was comfortable with.

Now that the experience is over with and my wife and I are driving our second Odyssey, I wanted to reassure those people who were concerned with my worry over $32 that there was never any in the first place.
  • Options
    busymom4busymom4 Member Posts: 2
    Just curious what others are seeing in Chicago. We went looking last night and have decided (although not yet purchased) the 2006 EX-L with Rear Entertainment System.

We received the following invoice quotes via the internet sales managers:
    Honda in Lisle
    28,706 (which includes $ 550 destination fee)
    Napleton in Oak Lawn
    Grand in Elmhurst
    28,222 (which includes $ 550 destination fee)
    Grand Valley in Aurora

Does anyone have any other info in the Chicagoland area? Do these sound reasonable?

Thanks.
  • Options
    chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    The invoice on the EX-L with RES is $29,146. Adding $550 destination(Lisle and Grand) makes the Grand deal the best obviously. I bought from O'Hare Honda and got $1500 off of the invoice+destination price. Your Grand-Elmhurst price is very good and if they have your color combination and are convenient for you I would go that route. Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    busymom4busymom4 Member Posts: 2
    How recently did you get your quote from Napleton Honda in Chicago (presumbably actually Oak Lawn)?

You said they gave you $ 27,150+ TT. The quote from this week was $ 28,400. That is quite a difference. My quote didn't include the destination charge either.
  • Options
    busymom4- That quote was for an EX-L and you have said you were quoted on an EX-L w/RES. There is a big difference in price ($1,438 at invoice) between these two models and would explain the difference.
  • Options
    I recommend that you do not complete your shopping until you get a price quote from Brilliance Honda of Crystal Lake in Crystal Lake,Illinois. Call the dealership and ask to speak to the Dealer Trade Manager. The DTM will forward your call to the appropriate internet salesperson. Tell the salesperson what your lowest price quote is and ask them if they can beat it. No dealership in the Chicagoland area has been as price competitive as Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake.
  • Options
    java28java28 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my EXL a month ago during memorial holiday. I went to Crystal Lake and got an offer for $26800 (including destination), but they did not have the color that I wanted (silver). $26800 was only good for the ones in their stock. So I went to Rosen (in Gurnee) and picked up the silver for $26900. $100 more? They gave me $1400 worth of protection package (exterior and interior protection), so the OTD was $26900+TTL.

Experience was good since I knew what I wanted to pay.
  • Options
    That meant fees at both dealerships
  • Options
    damavrdamavr Member Posts: 15
    I have an offer for a Touring with Nav & DVD for $500 under invoice, $34,949? Is this a good deal or should I be pressing for more? I read in some post that someone got an offer of $1,400 under invoice, is this realistic?
    Do the 07 Odyssey come out in sep.06? and does anyone know what they are changing/improving?

Thanks
  • Options
    I paid $33,947(plus Tax Title and License) which INCLUDED the $550 delivery fee. Don't think much is changing with the 07..I'm not sure what else can be added to the Touring at this point as it has everything I can think of and then some. The features on the Touring and the current pricing make it an unbelievable bargain.
  • Options
    cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    $500 to $1,400 under invocie is what you can expect in most parts of the country. If $500 under invocie was the inital offer try to get half way to $1,400.

I got my Ody for $1,200 under in Central PA. I would have been satisfied with $500 under.

Dont worry to much about getting another $900 off of a $35,000 vehicle.
  • Options
    bkobusbkobus Member Posts: 1
    If I may chime in on this....

Unfortunately, there is a slight misrepresentation of the facts in this particular incident. The van did have a scratch on it prior to the sale which was repaired and of course showed in the service history. This does happen when 400 vehicles are stored on the same lot. Also, putting 50 miles on a new vehicle is not unimaginable, considering this van was in stock for 120 days when sold. How many times might it have been test driven, not to mention the dealer puts 10 miles on it during the PDI process...?

Penske Honda, as with all dealerships and businesses, occasionally makes a mistake. Mistakes are without malice or intention, they are just mistakes. In this particular case, it was not a mistake, but a miscommunication that caused the guest to be uncomfortable with the vehicle they had received.

Needless to say, the guest's concerns were taken care of in a formidable way. Penske Honda would not have received the President's Award 8 times (more than any other California dealership), if they did not do business the correct way.

Penske Honda tries to keep everything upfront and guest friendly as possible. That is why we post interest rates on the salesfloor and dont charge over MSRP, other than if the vehicle has had accessories added. It is my job to try to set policies at the dealership and try to make sure they are followed. When an issue does arise, we try to take care of it ASAP.

Buying a vehicle should be a pleasurable experience. What we find is that alot of guests have been burned at these rogue dealerships, and visit us in "defense mode." It is easy to find out how a dealership operates by finding out where they rank in their customer service scores. Remember, dealerships are graded by their guests..

Bryan Kobus
    General Manager
    Penske Honda Ontario
  • Options
    johnjosephjohnjoseph Member Posts: 6
    Got a internet quote from Stockton Honda last week for an Honda Odyssey EXL - R & N for 30,539. Since I live in the bay area, confirmed with them on the price including the OTD price. I also asked for the miles on the vehicle and if the vehicle is a new one. The sales person told me that the Odyssey had 12 miles on it and it was new.

I insisted multiple times that I need a honest transaction and asked the sales person to be upfront with me if there are any surprises on the vehicle. After confirming everything, drove to Stockton (90 miles) with my pregnant wife, my cousin her 6 yr old. Once I reached there the sales people started playing their games with me. The vehicle actually had 140 miles on it and it is a dealer trade in !!! The sales person and the manager came and started pushing me to take the vehicle. The manager said he would throw in a roof rack (which comes standard with the vehicle) to compensate the miles. These people think the customers are fools!!

Finally I asked him to show the carfax report on this vehicle. This vehicle had previous history in the carfax and they said it was because it was with the dealer and showing up on carfax report. But when I asked him to show the other vehicles in stock including the dealer trade ins, it wouldn't show up anything on the report.

After wasting my time with the dealership and driving 3 hours back and forth, we came back frustrated :mad: .

I would strongly recommend to re-think if anyone is planning to buy anything from Stockton Honda.
  • Options
    johnjosephjohnjoseph Member Posts: 6
    After the horrible experience with Stockton Honda, went to Anderson Honda in Palo Alto the next day. They had quoted me 32,383 for the Odyssey EXL - R & N, but said they will beat/match the lowest price. Gave them the email print out of the lowest quote I got. The sales person went to check with the manager and said they will be able to match the price. I said fine and test drove the Odyssey.

The experience was very pleasant and professional. They were upfront on the mileage of the vehicle and did not play any games. They did not force me to take any add-ons. They offered me the extended warranty 7years/80,000 miles with cash back if we don't use it for 2,188. I showed them the same warranty for an EXL, someone from this forum had purchased for 950. They checked with the manager and offered me for 1,065 (for an EXL - R&N). I said ok for that offer. Total OTD price including the extended warranty - 34,441.

Drove out the new Odyssey with the satisfaction that I got it from a dealership which was very professional and nice to work with.

Enjoying every part of this great vehicle!! :)
  • Options
    It is so very nice to hear the other side of the story, Bryan. Glad you chimed in here. From what I recall, it sure seemed that the customer was more than fairly compensated.
  • Options
    With some good advice from this board and some salesman,And thanks to MSS1144 i wound up at rt22 honda...Went everywhere and started calling around for this 1400 below deal, a few came close, especially in NJ..
    Called rt22 and they had the best quote but color was a problem (oceanmist Blue)only 3 in all of NJ Confirmed from many sources......anyhow rt22 said if he could come up with a Oceanmist hed let me know.....so while i was still scrambling around for offers, rt22 called back 2 hrs later saying they got there hands on one for me..i didnt even leave a deposit, they just went and found one on there own...
    So the price was 33,900 plus dest of 550 tax of 8.375% and fees of 199/250..(which to answer your question are out of state fees, thats why they are a little higher plus a little more i belive for trade in paperwork..I had a trade in worth like 4k so that comes off first before taxes so you get a little break...So the OTD price was 37,449

33,900 price
    4,000 trade in
    29,000 total taxable amount
    550 Dest
    2,550 Tax 8.375%
    199 fees
    250 fees
    33,449 Total...

Now for a little dealer information...Bay ridge was the highest starting quote 37,200 and when i tried to bargain, everything i had said was discounted outright, When I heard the salesman say "This is a business and we are here to make money" i knew it was time to leave...they were rude right from the start...

Plaza in brooklyn was second highest at first but they came down but not down enough....a salesman gave me my first GOOD ADVICE and said alot of the accessories can mostly be bought aftermarket right from honda at almost half the price so dont buy anything until after, not included, when you buy your odyssey..

Staten island had the lowest price of all dealers, but couldnt get my color...
    All of the dealers in NJ i called beat everyone in ny i called with the exception of staten island..
    Hillside was also close so i had to give them a mention...

i wound up at rt22 because they were by far the most honest and sincere i thought...the quote was low and i got the color i wanted..and they went out of thier way to get me what i wanted with just a phonecall..

i hope this helps someone......