Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    About 3 years ago I went to change the air filter on my '96 V6 Ford Contour. Which I'd still be driving if it had been built in Japan by Mazda. But I digress! Anyway I opened the air box and pulled the filter. Lo and behold, in the bottom was about a third of a cup of those aqua colored poison pellets. I was not pleased! I'd put several trays around the garage to "prevent" mouse problems. LOL. Since they were upstream of the filter it wasn't a problem but still...
    I am in full agreement with you. Given the Big 3's low priority on build quality and execution I felt I couldn't afford another domestic. And I have a theory on that. Since SUVs and pick-up trucks represent the Big 3s cash cow I suspect that's where most of there effort goes at the expense of their car offerings. I've never owned a pick-up or SUV so have no first hand experience.
    I'll be the first to admit that my theory may be full of bull. But I'd like to hear from others on this. Certainly this forum is not lacking in strongly held and informed opinion.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Does anyody think that it's too early to take in my Pro for its first oil change? It has about 4600 km (almost 3k miles). Also, what about regular oil changes? The manual says to do it at every 8000 km (4800 miles). Is that number the maximum duration between oil changes? Is it ok to change every 5000 km or is it a waste? Please advise ASAP as I have already scheduled to have it taken in tomorrow morning (Saturday morning)!! Thanks again guys and gals.

Mike
    I must have gone blind reading posts on this. One theory is that initial changes at around 500, 1000,150 miles will cleanse a new engine of small metallic particles, so do it this way. Another theory is that waiting til what's recommended will help "wear in" things like rings. So this is the way to go. Flip a coin. I just did my first oil change at 5402 mi/8692klicks. 5K recommended for severe use, 7500 for normal. I did put in Mobil 1 since I had 6 qts of 5W30 in the garage. About 3 or 4 years old which is no problem if it was unopened and of the right spec. This according to Mobil 1 tech support.
    So what you're basically saying is that it doesn't really matter...I too have read many discussions on this topic, but just wanted some input from some Pro owners. Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead w/ the oil change. Thanks.
    I'm not saying it doesn't matter but rather who do you believe?
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    TP reccomendations are for 32 all the way around on the 2001 LX 2.0 How many people are running these figures or maybe a little higher to get better mpg or perhaps handling?
    Don
    I see your point. Too many people giving misinformation based on wives tales. A lot of the message boards here at Edmunds seem to have a lot of these rumors spread around (i.e. synthetic vs. dino oil, etc.). Thanks for the input.

Regards,
    Pro_fan
  • mhallackmhallack Member Posts: 32
    I'm getting in on the discussion a little late, but as a MP3 owner I'd actually like to vote to stay with the protege sedan group...there are already more forums for MP3s than there are owners!

I agree that although the MP3 has quite a few mods (between suspension, body kit, stereo, exhaust, wheels/tires, etc. every time I tally it the stuff would have cost $4 to $5k separately), it is just a sporty ES.

That said, really sport ES's are cool. And distinctly not a 'freak show'. I have a hard time believing that someone could be so disgusted by the look of the MP3, at the same time they are test-driving a Pro5 (which is distinctly funky itself). That said, maybe I am experiencing a second childhood, but at least I'm not driving an Oldsmobile.

BTW, the same guy who was at 193hp, is now at 209 (and there is a scan of a dyno test on www.mazdamp3.com for proof). Personally, now that the engine is broken in, mine feels stronger than the 140 rating would imply: even with the incredibly sticky Dunlops, torque steer is an issue. I don't know how someone with a heavily modified 2.0L could drive in a straight line.
    The dealership where I bought my Pro from and getting the oil changed at tomorrow apparently has some MP3's for sale! I'm going down there to take a look and see if they have them on the lot. I'd like to see one up close and personal.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I have had my Protege aligned twice since I have owned it. The first time was under 1,000 miles. The dealership said it was common for a new vehicle to require an alignment. Going from the factory to a ship to a storage lot to a truck to the dealership carries a lot of potential to tweak the factory alignment. That first alignment lasted until about the 45,000 mile mark and is still fine now. It seems to hold alignments pretty good.
    I typically have my oil and filter changed every 3,000, but I let it go to 5,000 miles a couple of times. I do a lot of hard driving, but I have to say that the oil stays extremely clean. Even at the 5,000 mile mark between changes, the oil has only darkened to a darker gold color. The Ranger I used to have would go black within a couple thousand miles. The RX-7 always had oil that looked brand new. However, I had to add oil frequently since it injected oil into the rotor housing to lubricate the apex seals on the rotor. Sometimes I wondered why it would even be necessary to change the oil in the RX-7, since in a 5,000 mile period, I would add enough oil to be equivalent to an oil change.

BTW, every oil change on my Protege has been at the dealership using the manufacturer specified filter, which is the small one. I have never had any complaints or concerns regarding the smaller filter since my oil stays so clean.
    Meade and I always behave ourselves. We just enjoy our, um, "friendly" discussions. :-)

topazmoon, I'm glad to see you are still with us. I hope you are enjoying your Millenium Red LX 2.0. It is a terrific looking car, but I was sadly disappointed Mazda decided to delete Classic Red from the color palette. I am sorry to hear about your "vermin" problem. I can't remember what dealership John Hine traded with to get your car. We have had problems with dealer trades coming from Mazda of the Desert in Cathedral City. It seems they have quite a rodent problem out there and we have received several cars with extensive wiring insulation damage. Hopefully, the dealership you are taking it to will fix your problem for you. If not, certainly take the time to come back down to San Diego and have Hine take care of it. You or I can let Tom Lopez know that you are coming so he can get the service department prepped for you, and while your car is in, we could go grab lunch or something. Good luck!!

In terms of modifications, my first priorities are quieting the interior and solving the rattles. I figure as I sound-proof the doors and flooring, I can tighten the brackets and add insulation material to areas that rattle. Hopefully, that will take car of the problem, plus make the car significantly quieter. I will also change the carpeting from light gray to black like the '01 ES. Light gray is a terrible color for carpeting!!

Yeah, it is kind of funny for a Protege5 owner or prospective owner to make fun of the MP3. The front bumper, fog lamps, and side skirts are exactly the same between those two cars. Of course, the MP3 has the large wing, but I can't imagine it without it. One little detail I liked about the MP3 is the badging. It's not chrome like the sedans and Pro5, rather its like a painted silver and does look better since the Mp3 has absolutely no chrome on it.
    I just saw your post in the Millenia board. CONGRATULATIONS on your new 2001 Platinum Silver Millenia!! I am absolutely jealous. I have wanted a beautiful Millenia for many years now and is probably why I am less than satisfied with my Protege. That's what I get for working at the dealership. I drove a Millenia S everyday for lunch and travels to our storage lots. I absolutely love that car!! Congrats!!
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    that is exactly what I expected.
    after your protege bashing, I had doubts about my engg. background.
    Why? 'cause before buying the car, i looked over it pretty good and I found the structure of the car to be of very high quality.
    you jusr re-affirmed my convictions.

granted that the doors and dash may rattle but the car's chassis will not give away EVEN with daily spirited driving like you do.

Try looking under the PRO ES. You will find the chassis is very tough....

Long live the PRO ES!!
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    how much do stock stamped steel wheels cost?
    like the ones found on the LX?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Now when I go to lower my driver's side window (since I have gotten my tints done 2 weeks ago), it stops about halfway. I can see and feel the door panel bulging out as it tries to go down. I have to open the door and slam it several times before the window will finally lower. I have an appt. on 9/24 to get my brakes checked (rotors are warped), and I will bring up the issue then to my service advisor.

Drove today for 3 solid hours (cruising with a good friend) and got out of the car with little back pain. Very comfortable seats, I must say. Never was able to drive that long in any other car I have owned (including my 1999 DX), and this is car #5 in 4 years of driving. Go Protege ES! :)
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    Thanks. We are pretty proud of our new car. My wife told me today to stop going on and on about what a bargain it is and just enjoy it! We took it to the Mall of Georgia today for some shopping with my daughter. I about had a heart attack with so many cars near my new beauty, especially considering my recent experiences with my Protege!

It is too bad the Millenia came in last on Edmunds near luxury comparison test. I guess I can take some solice in looking at who the competition was and knowing I paid no where near what the other cars cost. Oops! There I go again!
  • giasolgiasol Member Posts: 3
    hey all!

i'm about to finalize my purchase of a mazda protege and am between the ES cars available at my local dealer. i'm trying to figure out if i should get the abs breaks. doing so would probably mean purchasing a color i don't really want and going over my budget. any thoughts?
    ABS is designed to keep the car from skidding and makes it safer (in my opinion) to drive in rain and snow. You don't have to worry about skidding, since the car takes care of the brake pumping for you. Whether you wanna get a color you don't want and go over your set budget is up to you. No one can make that decision for you. If it were me (and it was back in Feb. 2001), I would get the ABS (and I did). It has saved me from at least 2 accidents in the rain due to other drivers' error. Totally up to you though. Also, check with your insurance company. Most offer discounts for a car with ABS brakes.
    The driver's side window goes down about 2/3 of the way, then stops. The door panel bulges out (you can feel it), and the window starts to go down on the front side more than on the back side (near the door lock button). I think there is something obstructing the track, but don't know what. I would think if that were the case, my new tinting would be scratched all to hell on the inside, but it isn't. I just have to deal with it until I get to the dealer on 9/24 I guess.
    I went to the Kelley Blue Book site (www.kbb.com) just for the heck of it, to see what my car is worth now. I have a 2001 Protege ES auto. 2.0 in black presently with 13,600 miles on it, and in good condition (according to KBB). They evaluated my car at $13,550!!!!!!! This car is only 6 months old, and its window sticker price was $18,545 when bought new! I am thoroughly MAD now!!!!! I can not believe I lost $5000 in just 6 months and 13,600 miles. I know small cars lose their value quickly and also that you lose most in the first two years, but damn! My 1999 DX, with 38K on it, was valued at $7500. That's $4000 less than a BRAND NEW ES!!!!!
    That doesn't sound very good. I was absolutely positive you did something wrong so I checked it out myself. Nope, same figure. Your car has lost 27% of its value!! I checked out my 1999 ES 5-spd. It's valued at $9,730 with an original MSRP of around $15,700. I have lost 38% over three years and nearly 50,000 miles. My figure sounds about right, but 27% for a less than year old car with only 13,600 miles on it is pretty bad. I wonder if the first year is holding its value better because there's less of them on the road?
    Lost 27%
    Lost 38%
    Are you looking at a 2001 Protege ES? If you are, then ABS is packed with the side-impact airbags. In your case, I would lose your first choice in color to get the extra safety of the side-impact airbags and ABS. Plus, you will get an insurance discount for having those two items. If you really want your color with the ABS/side SRS package, I would have the dealer do a dealer trade with another dealer in the area to get the car you want. Anyways, that's what I would do. Good luck with your purchase!!!
    Remember, in the Edmunds opening to that comparison test, they said there are no real losers in that group of cars. They are all excellent vehicles.

In last year's Car and Driver comparison test of near-luxury sedans, the Millenia (a 2000 Millenium Edition) came in fourth place, shocking both myself and the magazine. They figured the oldest vehicle with the least amount of equipment and smallest engine would easily come in last place. Here are the other vehicles tested in the order they placed starting with last place: Mitsubishi Diamante LS, Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, Volvo S70 GLT, Infiniti I30t, Lincoln LS V6, Mazda Millenia S Millenium Edition, Lexus ES300, Chrysler 300M, and Acura 3.2TL. The Millenia excelled at nothing, but it didn't do anything bad either. Its balance was it strong point and the staff loved it. At $32,000, they called the Millenia a bargain. You got yours for just about $10,000 less than that. Great buy!!!
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    Looking at CarsDirect.com, I see that the MSRP for a basic ES is $15,575 not incl dest charges.

But CarsDirect is selling it for $13,790.

So the car has "depreciated" about 12 percent before I've even picked a color.

Now that is depressing. I guess I'll have to choose black to match my mood. ;-)

Sure, the Protege is no Honda on resale, but then again...

To get the ProES up to more than $18k you had to add a bunch of options. Few options add much to the resale value on KBB as far as I can tell.

Of course, if you don't sell, it doesn't matter.

twist
    As our noble and honorable former commander-in-chief would say, "I feel your pain." Your post no doubt has many of us running to kbb.com. My question is are the figures you gave trade in value or private party. This so I can compare apples and apples. Thanks.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    their figures are way off from the NADA book. Plus condition adds a lot to a car's value. Always figure selling as a private party since you don't want a dealer's wholesale price.

The best place to look is autotrader.com to see what others are asking for their Pros.

fowler3
  • etrastetrast Member Posts: 9
    I have 2001 Pro ES. I am considering changing my tailights with clear ones. Can anybody suggest a good place to buy them? Can I change the lights myself?
    My first oil change is due soon (I have 2700 Miles on it). Can I use synthetic oil?
    Any replies will be greatly appreciated
    Does anybody have the hood deflector for the '01 Pro installed? Has anybody seen the Pro with one? Just wanted some opinions of what people thought of it.

Etrast:
    I don't know where you can buy any, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to change them yourself. I know some of the others here have changed their headlights, so the rears shouldn't be that much more difficult.
    You should be able to use synthetic oil as well. Again, don't see any real reason not to (except cost).

Protege_fan
  • mhallackmhallack Member Posts: 32
    >So the car has "depreciated" about 12 percent before I've even picked a color.

That's why its so important to put 10% down (beyond TTL). Also financing for 36 months or less will generally keep you from going upside-down. I haven't yet met these goals, but they are good and will help keep you from financial trouble (went 42 months this time, but did get enough of a down payment).

Also, just because the car is small doesn't mean depreciation is unique to it: I just looked up a fairly well optioned 2000 Maxima SE (a car I was thinking about getting) on kbb.com. It was down to $18k, and new they were $28k+ MSRP. Thats a drop of 36% (AND over ten grand!).
  • driveme2drinkndriveme2drinkn Member Posts: 15
    The real value of the Protege is not found in the Blue Book, but in the fact that if you maintain it, it is a car that you can drive for a long, long time. I have a 92 DX, and still drives good and looks good. I paid $12,000 for the car in '92, and I have spent less than $2,000 in maintenance (tires, oil changes, CV boots, everything)in those 9 years. Now that's what I call a good investment!
    Does any one know if they'll bolt on to my '01 ES? If so would there be sufficient clearance for the larger ES rotors? I've gotta get on the stick here and Hopefully find some for the snow tires I'll need. Any help greatly appreciated. I know they're 15" wheels but for snows its really not a concern.
  • grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    Etrast, please keep us informed as to the clear tail lights. I myself have been considering them for my '01 black ES. If you get them, let me know where you got them, what you paid and how easily they were to install.

Protoge_fan, yesterday I picked-up the accesories for my new pro which included the wind deflector. I have to admit, I love the little details that to me are functional and look good. I also installed the bra, mud guards and the cargo net. Hey, I turned 40 last month and this was my little gift to get me out of the rut I was having. BTW, the bass in the stock stereo is weak so I also installed a modest amp and subwoofer in the trunk (Alpine and JL). Wow, what a difference! I'm broke but happy.
  • grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    Jstander (or anyone), being you know what goes on at the dealerships, please help. A week ago I purchased my 01 Pro. I have never bought the things that the finance people try to sell you except this time. I went with the paint and upholstery protection (I forget exactly what they call it). Do I ever have buyer's remouse! I had been told that it has a five year guaranty and that it takes four hours for 'it' to dry. I went to have it applied yesterday and I was out in under two hours! The service manager said no drying was needed. You should know these people, it was at Cush Mazda, Escondido. I feel that it was misrepresentet to me at closing and by the salesman. I'm afraid I paid $295 for a wax job, Armour All and Scotchguard! I feel like an idiot! What would you suggest?
    Ah, Cush Mazda up in north county. Well, you really have no recourse unless you want to throw a huge fit with the General Sales Manager, General Manager (like vice president of the dealership), or Dealer Principal (the owner or president). What I would do is take them at their word on the five year warranty. If anything stains, take it back. If anything oxidizes, take it back.

Did they also tell you that product will be sent to your home and YOU will have to reapply it every six months or the five year warranty is void? It is basically a Scothguard like substance and a Teflon wax. BTW, DuPont, the inventor of Teflon, has officially stated that Teflon does not aid in the protection of paint anymore than a typical wax would. IMO, the only thing worth buying in the finance office would be an extended warranty from the manufacturer. Perhaps malt might know of something.
  • sdayalanisdayalani Member Posts: 60
    I have a 1999 Protege and I live in Ontario, Canada.
    I have been a regular user of Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil for the past 2 years.

Mazda recommends using 10W30 or 5W30 depending on the temperature.

I was wondering whether I could standardize on using either 5W30 or even 0W30 ALL YEAR ROUND without any negative effects on the engine and/or other parts.
    I just hate having to switch between 10w30 and 5w30

Thanks in advance for any responses !
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I had to work yesterday with a firm from Baltimore that was in town doing a still shot for a newspaper ad at one of our toll plazas. (Took the whole freakin' afternoon!) Anyway, it was Eisner Communications on South Exeter Street. Ya ever work with/know about them?

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    For 14in:

$28 at Tire Rack.

$35-$40 at local tire & wheel retailers (in my experience).

Add some $ for wheel covers if you want to hide the wheels. The covers might trap some snow though, which will cause your wheel to become unbalanced enough to shake your car on the highway.
    Nope, never worked with them. I know where they are located in the city, but never worked with them. Work mostly with PR agencies and the like (Hill & Knowlton is one of my primary clients now), but ironically have no customers in Baltimore.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I had a similar experience when I purchased the Millenia last week. They added ETCH protection (a car theft deterrant supposedly), which I knew nothing about. Since they said it would cut my insurance premiums, I decided to not make a big stink about it. Well, guess what? State Farm doesn't give discounts for it. So I called the dealership and, in a nice way, voiced my displeasure. The finance manager asked what would help make things right, so I requested some accessories, which he agreed to. This was really a win-win to me, since I got some items I would like but would probably not have purchased, and you know it cost the dealership no where near their price to provide them.

See if you can work something out like that. It will probably make you feel a bit better anyways. It did me!
    In my '01 LX 2.0 the service managaer at my dealership and another dealership I've been to have told me that they now use 5W30 year round. I'm in Calgary, so 5w30 is ok according to the temperature/oil weight chart in the manual. However, it may be different for you, depending on what part of Ontario you're from (i.e. different temperature range).
    extras! They are rip-offs. Especially the paint and seat protectant stuff. The paint stuff sold by most dealers evaporates as quickly as it is sprayed on and doesn't protect anything. If the manual says not to wax for at least 60 days, why would the dealer suggest paint protection? He makes big bucks that reimburse his discount to you.

You can spray the seats with Scotchguard yourself, for a fraction of the cost.

Instead of a cargo net, if you carry groceries in your car trunk, buy a plastic basket to prevent spilled liquids from getting on the trunk liner. Cheaper and better. An ice chest is also good for frozen foods, and MAPP picnics.

fowler3
    The ES has 16" 5-lug wheels, the wheels on the LX have 15" 4-lugs.

fowler3
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I got my car back from the body shop and the bumper looks real nice. I keep saying to myself "How'd they do that?" It has a lifetime warranty against paint flaking too. I am so glad to get rid of that POS Contour. Driving that car makes me really appreciate the Protoge. Speaking of oils, I think Mobil 1 10W30 would be fine no matter WHERE you live. You might need 5W30 in Barrow Alaska in February, but 10W30 Mobil 1 should work for anyone in the lower 49 and anyone who lives along the boarder in Canada. Doesn't the majority of Canadiens live along the US boarder anyways? What are you cannucks planning to do? Don't even think about it. ;)
  • r_scott_gr_scott_g Member Posts: 16
    For my Protege' I bought a set of steel wheels at Walmart for 40.00 Canadian. After I bought them, they went on sale for 35.00. Took back my credit card receipt and they knocked the extra money off. Other prices ranged from 48.00 to 125.00(@Mazda yikes). Because the winter tires cost a fair amount, it was nice to save a little on the rims.
  • r_scott_gr_scott_g Member Posts: 16
    I've posted before about my front doors in my Protege making noise. From brand new, if you leaned on the door panels, they made a noise like some old car. I tried this with other Protege's in the showroom, and none of them made the noise, so I knew something was'nt right. A few people on this board mentioned that they managed to get this fixed.

Well after procrastinating for many months, I took the car into be fixed. They pulled off the panels and inserted some sort of insulation betweem the panel and the door. That fixed the problem, and fixed the only really problem I've had with my Protege.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I can make my door panels squeak too by leaning on them. Most of the time, though, both my hands are on the wheel, having a heck of a good time.

Seems the 2000 and 2001 models have additional insulating foam between the door and the trim panel, so they don't make such noises.

I guess if I were to ride shotgun and lean on the door more, I'd do something about it. I'll wait until I hear complaints from the wife & child. What type of material have people used for this purpose? Dynamat, single-sided foam tape?
    A recent article has come to my attention that has a drawing (assuming Mazda drawing) of next year's replacement to the 626. According to the article, it will appear at the coming Tokyo International Auto Show. It looks quite interesting and will probably replace my Protege unless I can somehow budget an RX-8...

I hope they go with the Antheon name. It sounds exotic and worthy of a new sport sedan. That Atenza names reminds me of Kia Optima for some reason.

Looks like a larger Protege. Nice though. Real nice. :)