Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    is Winston-Salem,NC. I live 23 miles east in Jamestown. Surprisingly, there aren't many KK shops here. There is a big one in High Point and always open, been there since 1936, it's a landmark.

You are right about hot-out-of-the-oven, entirely different experience, buttery smooth with a hot cup of coffee. Schools raising money for projects send kids door-to-door selling boxes of Krispy Kremes.

Yesterday I made a trip across town and saw Protegés at every intersection! Two white ones, a black one, Sandlewood, Sand Mica...and one red one that had been riced up.

The red one had been lowered, had after market alloys, something done to the engine (on the trunk was a badge SR), and a big exhaust pipe with a 5" chrome cover. The Mazda badge on the front had been removed from the chrome bar ('99 or '00 model). When the driver accelerated it made a noise similar to an Ultralight airplane, not as loud though.

Oh yeah, I got close to it at a stop light and saw the interior -- the owner had painted the underside of the instrument cluster shroud and the mid-dash pod bright red. Cool!

fowler3
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    Meade: Yeah, it was a terrible vehicle. Mine was a 1997 auto and I did not like it. It was my second car and I pretty much ended up driving it because my dad bought it for me and said "drive this". It came in handy for hauling stuff to college (but all my stuff fits in my Pro5 as well) but I hated only having room for two, I hated having no acceleration, I hated having no amenities other than CD, I hated how it handled, etc. Didn't have any mechanical problems with it until I layed it over on a gravel road. Oopsie. Now my dad drives it which is just as well because he's working in facilities for a major credit card company and they're building a huge new facility. Pretty much he's working at a construction site so the truck is good for him. His boss (who is reputed to be an [non-permissible content removed]) drove his brand new Jag out to the construction trailer because he was in too much of a hurry to wait for the shuttle, bottomed it out, and tore out the entire exhaust. I like the Protege5 much better than the B2300 and would never drive another truck unless it was a full size one.

As for CAPP or CRAP or whatever acronym you're using, I'd love to attend if only I was back home. Unfortunately I can't make the 1500 mile trek for the weekend ;) Also the 13th is homecoming as well as my fraternity's Founder's Day which means there will be plenty of festivities here but if you do plan a Perfect Protege Picnic in Chicago, I hope it goes well (and I want pictures!) :)
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    There is a Krispy Kreme store in either Naperville or Woodridge (Chicago suburbs, the boundary gets fuzzy right around where the store is) that allegedly is the busiest Krispy Kreme location in the country - and it's not even two years old. They have a giant conveyer belt where you can watch the dough being formed and cooked then glazed and, if you're lucky, they'll pull one fresh off the end of the conveyer belt for your sampling delight :)
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    How'd it go everyone?
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Okay...here's the scoop. Want to try to plan for the 13th. I know it's a week away but hopefully we can put together something fun...if not that fancy. There's a nice area near the intersection of I90 and I290 West/53 North called Busse Woods. It 3 minutes from the Woodfield Mall and has all needed amenities.

I can provide the grill and cooler of assorted beverages...heck...I'll even bring the burgers. Is it supposed to be cold next weekend? Yep, but that's no big deal! Lets show those Mediocre Apathetic Protege Posers what Chi-town spirit is really like! (Duck Meade! Volley coming your way!)

Even if we only end up with 3-5 cars, I'd still like to put this together. I've been working WAY too much and need a fun event like this.

ChicagoPRO...got your email, I thought I try just once more to get this rolling. More notice would probably be better, but some of the best things I've ever done came together at the last moment!

Other potential CAPP attendees: email me. peter_rollins@hotmail.com

Regards,

Pete
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Does anybody know anything about the Mazda X-plan? I know that there's been discussion about the S-plan, but I believe somebody mentioned an X-plan for us Canadians. Thanks in advance.

PF
  • groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    I showed up a little later (2:20pm) but when i got there...to my surprise i was the 12th car :). Jeremy thomas (eeterp) came like 20 minutes before the park closed so that brought the total up to 13 total cars!! There were 3 first gen's, 1 2nd gen and 9 3rd gens. (one being a protege5). I have pictures on my site located at:

http://groharlem.tripod.com (i'm making the page as i type this so it won't be up for maybe another hour). If there are any errors on that page (like me mispelling your name or email addy PLEASE LET ME KNOW...i think i got them right, but some of u have some messy handwriting ;0) ).

Anyways, i'd like to thank Edmunds for sending the shirts (i got two :) ), and Meade for organizing it and sending updates daily (that actually really helps since i lost his original in my email shuffle).

Wil

93 LX 5spd

http://groharlem.tripod.com

• newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Your pics don't work.
    Yeah they do.....I just registered the site "firstgenprotege1" specifically for hosting that meet's pics and its ALREADY OVER ITS DATA TRANSFER LIMIT :(. I'm working on gettign it switched to a BETTER hosting service. I think geocities only allows like 300 kb's per hour or some pathetic crap.

All the pictures are there though, so if you get lucky they will all load up and stuff, but i haven't been lucky either :(.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The picnic was great fun and it was nice to meet other fellow enthusiasts as well. I am already looking forward to next year's MAPP. :)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I saw the MAPP-2 pics early this morning, good job! (I probably checked them before geocities decided the download limit had been exceeded :-)

Seems like you guys had a fun time!

Awaiting more reports and pix.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    It was pretty cool. Waiting for more people that took pictures to post them on the web.
    I rehosted them on a diff site..here is the link for it:

http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~protege/mapp2.htm

I hope nothing screws up on that.....

DL the videos...they are worth it :)

• theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Great pics!
    in the big picture? Can you give us the names left to right?

TELL ME! Before the terrorists retaliate or I may never know.

fowler3
  • seminoleman92seminoleman92 Member Posts: 4
    I just wanted to say that it was very nice to meet everyone at the MAPP II meet yesterday!! The pics turned out very good and my brother Jeremy Dehart(Blue Sport 20) and myself (White 94dx)plan on being at the next meet.

Michael DeHart
    crap, i should post who is who i guess LOL.

OK in the big picture, i'll start fronm the closest cars (blue 2000 sport 20 and red p5) to the back:

jeremy dehart jason krotine
    david brook me
    paul king steve frattini
    kevin richey meade daffron
    hank kuo mike dehart
    santiago sanchez larry kline

Jeremy Thomas (eeterp) showed up about an hour and a half after we took that picture. I was hoping we could get another shot of a half circle but some ppl had to go :(
    Whoops...that is totally wrong...(i read the list backwards halfway through it LOL). here is who is who for real ;)

On the left side of pic (starting with blue sport 20)
    Jeremy dehart
    david brook
    steve frattini
    meade daffron
    mike dehart
    larry kline

On right side of pic (starting with red protege5):
    jason krotine
    me
    paul king
    kevin richey
    hank kuo
    santiago sanchez
  • mckaguemckague Member Posts: 24
    Forgive my protege ingorance. What's a Sport 20 Familia? Saw the MAPP pics which included a picture of one. Looks sharp.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Darren, to answer your question indirectly, it's a work of PASSION and DEVOTION. Jeremy Deharts' Familia conversation was OUTSTANDING! You can't purchase a Familia over here, however; Jeremy converted his Protege to the North American equivalent. Kudos, to Mr. Dehart! I needed a napkin to hold back the drool while checking out his little beasty! The mods where very tasteful and the devotion to speed, very admirable. I much prefer his pocket rocket to Mazda's MP3. This is no slam on the current MP3, I have great affection for that daring little Protege half-brother! Nevertheless, Jeremy's Familia conversation ROCKS!

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • samsvocsamsvoc Member Posts: 10
    I bought my Pro5 using the Ford Xplan in Canada. I work for a large supplier to Ford. The deal is 4% over dealers NET cost + $325 for PDI/Gas and administration fee. Bought mine at Archilles Mazda in Acton(west of Toronto). Great dealer, no BS. Ask for Cecil.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    What about a Toronto-area Protege get-together? Anyone interested?
  • eeterpeeterp Member Posts: 33
    the sport 20 in japan is a hatchback and it's 4wd. You can buy the sport 20 engine (fs-ze ~168hp), side skirts, bumper, grille, lights, fenders, etc. from www.corksport.com. Jeremy D. has a one-of-a-kind conversion and it's definitely a real treat to see it in person.
  • cydonianwolfecydonianwolfe Member Posts: 4
    Hi, all. I'm considering buying a 2001/2002 Mazda Protege DX. I here many good things about these cars, such as a solid reliablility record and the fact that they are 100% Japanese quality. I'm also hearing some people complaining about AT problems.

To all 2001/2002 Protege owners: How's the car been treating you and would you recommend it?

Thanks for your feedback!
    PART #1

Meade did a great job putting together this years annual Mid Atlantic Protege Picnic. He selected a riverside park setting to enjoy great food, 13 different Mazda Proteges', and an opportuntie to make meet their owners. We all drove to Leesylvania State Park in Woodbridge, Virginia on Saturday morning. It rained the entire trip from Penna. to the park, yuk! However, 20 mins. after 11:00 am the rain stopped, the skies cleared and the sun peaked out thru the blue skies. A flippin miracle if you ask me. The same thing happened last year at the 1st annual MAPP get together. Meade, knows how to pick his days for MAPP!

The food was awesome, we had waaay too much to eat. Lasagna, hot dogs, hamburgers, ham biscuits, mac&cheese, hot crab dip, mac and potato salad, hand-crafted smoked Amish cheese, every kind of chip/pretzel imaginable, cheesecake, real Amish shoe fly pie, cookies and brownies! Soda, soda of every kind. Everyone brought something, way cool!

We had a 2 hour informal walk around to check out and compare the Proteges' This was kind of informal, however I learned a lot about the difference in the 3 generations of Protege design. It was cool to see the many mods and check out a MP5 real close up! This walk around started over again every time a new Protege showed up. It also gave us a chance to meet the PRO owners and get acquainted.
    It was neat to see the look in the eyes of the fisherman and other folks using the park to picnic as they walked by our gathering of Mazdas'. As a show of unity, anytime an import sedan passed our gathering of PRO's; we unleashed some good natured jeers at their Volkswagen, Honda or Subarus as they passed our motley bunch of PRO fanatics.

Special kudos to Wil Fellows for linking the photos and videos from the 2nd Annual Mid Atlantic Protege Picnic for a viewing pleasure. Nice job Wil.

Paul King's (Vocus) made the best hot cheesy Maryland Blue Crab Dip. This stuff was to die for. Paul, please post the recipe! BTW, Meade took the left over Crab Dip back to his hotel room and all we could here all night was a loud chopping noise and soft moaning until 3 am? Meade, was it THAT good?

David Brooks and his crew from New England took the "Hard Charger" Award. They drove all night to get to MAPP #2 and slept in there car, until sun up, WOW! BTW, his 2000 DX was pretty sharp. I followed him into the park and he sure knows how to ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

Jeremy DeHart's Mazda Protege's Familia Conversion was awesome. Very tastefully done. He win's the "Passion for Excellence" Award.

BTW, I totally failed as the Accomadation Director. Using my beloved TRAVELOCITY as a guide I managed to book Meade, myself and the Jason Krotine family in the "HOTEL HELL" after the picnic. Trust me folks $45.00 does not get you a lot, 12 miles outside of Washington DC. This place was worse than the Beruit Hotel, lol! Thats right chained fire exit doors, moldy rooms, the ice machine, soda machine and candy vendor machines were out of order. Meade, swore he saw the front desk clerk drag a dead body along the corridor in front of his room. At check-in the clerk threatened me, from behind the bullet proof glass. Just because I rang the bell to get his attention, yikes! However, they did serve day old Krispy Kreme doughnuts at there FREE breakfast nook from hell! Nothing like fighting a large rat for a stale Krispy Creme, hehe!

IN CONCLUSION:

I hope, I speak for everyone, we had a great time! Special thanks to Meade Daffron and Edmunds for the T-shirts. Pat_Host, next year Edmunds needs to send a reporter and capture the 3rd annual MAPP on film and write a feature on our passionate Mazda Crew! I enjoyed meeting Santiago, Hank, Kevin, Wil, Jason & his family, Steve, Mike, Paul & his guests, Meade, both Jeremys, and David & his crew. God Bless you all!

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    It was the large opossum that wandered out from under my bed at 3 a.m. and got his head stuck in the crab dip!

I just managed to pick myself up off the floor after reading your two-part post, Larry. But guys, he ain't far from the truth. It really was Hotel Hell. We were calling it that. My room smelled like an old pair of gym socks. There was white mold in the carpeting around my air conditioner unit. (Larry, did you realize that all we had were air conditioners -- no heat? It got down into the 40s that night and I found this out at about 4 a.m. as I shivered and pulled the other bed's blanket onto my own!)

Using the shower (no washcloths provided by the hotel either) was like taking a shower with a watering can. No pressure at all. EVERY ice machine in the hotel was out of order. NONE of the soda machines had any sodas in them. My toilet seat was only fastened on one side -- a true swivel chair for the throne. And when you flushed the toilet ... well, we won't even go there. This hotel had an "Econo Lodge" sign in front of it -- I prefer to refer to it as "E.Coli Lodge."

No problem, Larry -- we all survived Hotel Beirut and lived to tell about it. BTW, when did you leave? Jason left while I was cleaning myself after my shower (it was that bad), but you were gone when I woke up at 7:30 a.m. to feed the opossum and spray more Lysol. (No kidding -- Jason went out to a nearby supermarket and bought a can of Lysol to ward off Legionnaire's Disease.)

Enough about the hotel. MAPP II was absolutely wonderful. As Larry said, the weather cooperated, although it would be NICE to have ONE freakin' MAPP where we don't all arrive with dirty, spotted cars! Paul, your crab dip WAS to die for. And no, I didn't whale it down that night -- I saved it (well, the part the opossum didn't eat) for my wife at home, who equally enjoyed every savory bite of that concoction. Please post the recipe, Mr. King!

It was really great meeting all of you. I too enjoyed the heck out of the Midnight Blue Sport 20, but alas, even the first genners brought a tear to the old eye -- reminding me of my first two Proteges, both '92s.

What amazed me was that several of the cars there had quite a bit more than 100,000 miles on them, and, after an informal poll, I learned that NONE of their owners had had ANY problems with these cars.

Kevin and I met at a rest area near Ashland, Virginia (north of Richmond) and convoyed up to the picnic Saturday morning. Just north of Fredericksburg, we ran into a horrendous storm with torrential downpours. The swath of cars on I-95 that usually go about 80 slowed down to 40 for about five miles, but then all three northbound lanes came to a dead stop. An ambulance passed us on the shoulder. After about 20 minutes, we reached the accident -- a Plymouth Voyager minivan resting in the ditch on its roof. A very sobering sight. It's DEFINITELY time to replace my Poortenzas!!!

Wil, I've got some pics I took there. I'll e-mail 'em to you. Like you, I got some pics in motion, but mine are of mileage signs showing how close we were to D.C. and the Pentagon. I also got some nice pics of people talking in the shelter. You'll have them soon. BTW, nice page. Thanks for putting it together.

Thanks again to Edmunds for the T-shirts. And thanks to everyone who came and brought more food and drinks than we possibly could consume! Larry, as always, the Sangria was wonderful. I'd like that recipe too if you get the chance.

And let's not wait a whole year for the next one! I had a great time, everyone!

Meade
    Ok, why did you all not complain about the hotel and all to the front desk? I wish I would have made a reservation there and went through that! I would have made such a scene, they would have put us all up in another hotel. That sounds like a total mess. But also, you get what you pay for. :)

Meade: Cute story about the moaning and groaning in the room. A large opossum? Too funny. :)

Larry: Thanks for the compliments on the dip. You are totally making me blush now. :)
    To the person looking for a 2001/02 Protege DX, they are definitely a good buy. I used to have a 1999 DX (same engine and all) before my 2001 ES. I traded up, because I wanted more power (speed racer here) and all the sporty equipment. The DX is a nice starter car though. I put a little over 37,000 miles on my DX in 20 months, and beat the living hell out of it. Only one problem in its life: The CD player wouldn't eject my CD and I had to "smack" the dash above to get it out. Other than that, everything with the car was great. There were no auto tranny problems either.
    you need to post them on the web site with the pictures! Glad everyone had a great time, even the food went Zoom Zoom.

Meade, now you know what "Econo" means, those motels are the same everywhere. The last one I stayed at the bed was unmade when I walked into the room at 7PM, the sheets still warm. ;) They gave me another room, wasn't much better.

fowler3
    http://www.mazdastuff.com has the performance stuff for the 2001-02 Protege in stock now. This includes MP3 strut bar, speakers, skirt package, and even the muffler. I know where my next paycheck's going! :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Thanks for the info Samsvoc. Just a few more questions though. Is the X-plan the same as "fleet-pricing?" How do you get the X-plan?
    Also, what vehicles does the X-plan apply to? Thanks in advance.

PF
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Regarding my search for info about a possible
    new MPS next spring...

The new 2002 edmunds listing for the protege
    (took awhile to get 2002 protege sedan info on there) has in the review that:

"The enthusiast-oriented MP3 goes on hiatus as Mazda tries to extract more power from the engine."

This is subtly different from Car and Driver saying there would be no followup to the limited-
    run (1500) MP3. And we know racing beat has already said they won't try supercharging or turbocharging the Protege.

My preference would be a bigger mazda OEM engine for the EX or PR5, but said larger engine might only go in the MPS. We'll see. I don't need/want a big wing in the back.

To the prospective DX owner: you do know that the 2.0L engine from the EX is now standard across the protege line, right? You don't need an EX for that (I like the EX interior and handling upgrades though)

To vocus: thanks for the mazdastuff info. Getting the sport muffler (for possible freer breathing and a bit more power, not the sound) would be a
    definite consideration should I buy a protege.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Why would Mazda count on racing beat for power anyway?

Mazda knows how to do turbos reliably. The ones we've seen here were excellent performers:
    626/MX-6 Turbo
    323 GTX Turbo
    2nd Gen RX-7 Turbo

If there is an '02 MPS, expect it to have a factory turbo.
  • weisbeweisbe Member Posts: 5
    Silliy question, but....

I own a top of the line 2001 Protege (an 'ES' in Canada) - I am trying to fold back the back seats for storage purposes - but am having trouble doing so (the little knobs at either side do not seem to pop up).

Any hints?
    They are probably locked. Go into the trunk and make sure the levers on the backs of the seats there are flipped in the unlocked direction. Since they seem to be locked now, flip them the opposite way and see if they work then. If not, then they might be broken. But I bet they are locked. There is a little green flip-type switch on the trunk release that locks it too, on the striker. Same philosophy of securing the trunk from the interior. It would make alot more sense if Mazda offered a valet key as well, but they do not.
  • cydonianwolfecydonianwolfe Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice, vocus!
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    A huge thanks to Meade for organizing the event, I know I had a lot of fun, and I think others did as well. I wish I could have stayed longer, but had to go watch the Caps beat the Devils 6-1. It was great to meet all the nearby Protege fans on this board. I've now got a severe itch to do some modifications to my car.

I've got some pictures that I took as well, and as soon as I get the chance this evening, I will post them up online so everyone can see them.
  • weisbeweisbe Member Posts: 5
    Just flipped open the trunck and volia - both seats were in the locked position. IKEA, here I come!

thanks Vocus
    You're welcome. :)

And a little tip. If you fold down the back seats and move the front passenger's seat all the way up and recline it forward, the car will swallow a 6-foot tall IKEA wardrobe cabinet without the box. :) Just be careful not to scratch the back bumper like I did with it. :(
    Wouldn't there be more space if the front passenger seat is moved all the way forward and the seatback reclined rearward, with the headrest removed? It would be thinner and allow more vertical room.

Put something over the seat fabric, such as a blanket, to keep it clean and scuff-proof.

fowler3
    Where can you buy that black trunk fabric when you need to cover the front passenger seat for long cargo?

fowler3
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    I hate to beat a dying horse...but I'm really disappointed.

Three potential attendees for CAPP??? Me, LauraKat and ChicagoPro????? There HAS TO BE more ProOwners from the Midwest reading this board.....

LauraKat...I wouldn't hold my breath for an 8-hour drive (as enjoyable as it might be in a Pro) for a a three car get together.

I am going to start a Protege club. I am way too enamoured of my car to let that passion waste away. I NEED to hang out with other Pro-owners!

Once I get a name for this club, I will let you all know...probably something original like "Protege Owners Club" or something like that.

Anyway...ran errands on my lunch hour today. Had to stop into KMart for light bulbs and such for the house. Come out of the store to find a fresh door dent (not a ding...much too deep to be called a ding) from a brand-spankin-new DeVille DTS (temp tag and all). He parked right next to my car and he even had some of my paint on his door! The dent has broken paint and the rubber trim had a sizeable gouge in it. I stood there in disbelief for a few minutes, hoping the owner would come out and I could confront them. I waited about 5 mins and no owner. So what did I do? Well it was very out of character for me but I keyed that BRAND NEW DeVille's drivers door, scratching down to the metal.

Now before you all condemn me for what I already know was an act of total stupidity and utter immaturity, I have tried to deal with this exact same type of situation before the "right" way. I have always ended up getting told nothing could be done. Even when I've called the police on this before, they tell me it's why they have comprehensive insurance. Plus the satisfaction and gratification of giving that DeVille owner something to ponder every time he opens his door from now on made it all worth it.

I was wrong, I know I was wrong, and please don't tell me why I shouldn't have done it...I already know. Sheer frustration at the total lack of respect for other people's property is one of my biggest pet peeves.

I'm off to bed now...hoping tomorrow brings more respondants to the CAPP!

Regards,

Pete
  • eliteeselitees Member Posts: 5
    Hello all!

01 LX 2.0 Premium here. I have heard so many conflicting views on the use of synthetic oil.
    Someone from another board said they called Mazda, and said they do not recommend using Synthetics, just a Synthetic Blend. I did not make this call myself.

Who out there uses them and has for a while now?
    Im sure its not a problem, but Im really trying to decide which Oil to use. The OD reads 3002 as of today! Time to make that commitment! As of right now, I have Castrol GTX in it. Only other option I guess would be Mobile one, or the non-off the shelf's Amsoil and Redline. I really want to stick with off the shelf.

ZOOM ZOOM!
  • bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    You have my sympathy.

While we are on the subject of revenge for careless stupidity, let me rehash one of my favorite stories: My friend, Allan and I came out to find parked WAY TOO CLOSE in a not so crowded parking lot. Of course the car (a 80s GM with those huge doors) had dented the door on the passenger side. It was quite obvious that car had done the deed since Allan's blue paint still hung on the edge of the white Buick's door. He too waited, darkness fell and still no one came out of the mall to face the music. My friend was now quite pissed. And then the idea hit him. Just before we drove away in his now damaged Mustang, he peed down the outside of the window of the Buick and under the weatherstripping of the huge door. There's a smell that didn't go away for a long time.

Ah, New York.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    That's really all I can say about the retaliatory incidents. Although I do feel your pain, guys! Someone nipped the edge of the bumper on my 95 DX in a parking lot pretty hard, cracking it and gouging out a good 3 inch by 3 inch region. No note, no info! And my repair estimate, over $550-600. Painting being the major chunk of that expense. My comp deductible is 500 - I can't afford that right now, so that spot has (ugly) silver duct tape on it! Maybe I'll put some mailing tape over that and spray paint it white for the time being :-)

Does anyone have any idea if this is a part (95 DX entire front bumper assembly, cover and stryofoam backing) I might find at car scrap lots? And how do I go about looking for it?

Hate it, Hate it, but that's how its gotta be. I too remember wishing I had something to take my anger out on, but since the (perpetrator's) car was gone, I hit the tennis ball around with a friend instead! I still wonder what I'd have done if the other car was still parked next to mine.

I wish they'd outlaw coupes with gigantic doors (like the Cruella DeVille, hehe). And drivers who're careless in a parking lot! I just wish this (and a general sense of respect for someone else's property) would be part of basic driver training.

I know I'm usually pretty careful about how I park and open doors, but I'm going to be extra careful parking if I'm ever in NY or Chicago now, though :-)

Just curious, does leaving a note, and noting the car registration not help at all?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    You weren't wrong. If you knew that was the car, you did the right thing IMO. I probably would have kicked it real hard too so that a body panel needed to be replaced. Door dings aren't accidents, they are about being careless.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    First, to Pete ... maybe now you can appreciate how fun it was to organize MAPP two years in a row! Use your resources ... may I recommend contacting the Mazda Club of North America, based in Chicago? They have a website:

http://www.mazdaclub.com

Also, do a topic search for all of the topics related to the Protege, including the Protege5, owners' clubs, etc. Write an invite and copy it to all of the topics. Include links to the MAPP I and II photo sites so they can see what fun they might have doing one too.

Good luck!

While I haven't left my bodily fluids on a vehicle, I do have a fairly good story:

While I was in college at an urban university, I parallel-parked along a side street downtown for an evening class. When I got back to my car, I found that the car behind me had crushed my clear plastic license plate cover, and dented my license plate, while attempting to park behind me. (I could tell it was him because he had one of those damned Pontiacs with the pointed bumpers and it lined up with the starburst in my plate cover.) I walked around his car and found he had a cover on his rear plate, too! One swift kick and his matched mine now!

Hee hee hee ...

Meade

• draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    Does anyone know any dealers that are discounting the Tribute now? I contacted some dealers in my area (metro Louisville) a few months ago, no one was interested in coming off of MSRP.

My wife wants to get rid of her SuperCrew, don't ask it is a long story.
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    Pete,

We know where you live.
    We know what car is registered in your name.
    How many 2001 Mazda Proteges do you suppose are registered to guys named Pete who live in your suburb?

May I just recommend that you remove your town information from your profile for a while?

I feel your pain, and I don't want there to be any follow-up.

twist