Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    i finally went back to edmonton to show my girlfriend my ES...she loves it! (almost as much as me!) o yea, and i just passed 2200kms...

glad everybody had fun at MAPP. i'd like to attend something like that too (in the calgary region...) but i have a feeling that only myself and pro fan would attend!!
    'duh'
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I know this is rehashing, but what was the price again to go from the ES front end to the MP3 front end? I can't help it, every time I see those big old lights it just makes me want it more and more. :)

I was thinking about the FS_ZE engine swap too. Everyone thus far who has done it has a manual. I wonder if it would work with the automatic?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Yep, I think you're right about the list of attendees in the Calgary area. Although I've seen quite a few Pros driving around now, I don't think that many people are quite as enthusiastic about their Pros as we are.

BTW, that code for the warranty is the same as the one that I have.

PF
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Too late, you DO sound paranoid. My reasoning:

(1) The last time you went to the store, did you take note of the type of car that was parked next to you? Would you remember its make, model and color if you came out and saw a scratch on your vehicle?

(2) If you did happen to remember the vehicle that had been parked next to you when you entered the store, could you prove that the person who keyed your car was (a) the driver of that vehicle, (b) the driver of the new vehicle that drove in after the original one left, or (c) a passerby? I think it would be really hard to determine who did it unless you saw him do it, which leads me to ...

(3) If you actually saw him do it, would you have a case? There would be no physical evidence, such as the paint from your vehicle on his vehicle had your car been sideswiped. It'd be his word against yours in court. Even if you got his license plate number, he could tell the judge that he was parked next to you, across from you, whatever ... but he didn't key your car. Innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. After all, you may have been so enraged that you wanted to blame it on anyone -- so you got the plate number of the guy parked next to you. With no proof, I don't see how you'd win.

(4) If you managed to find the "keyer" by driving around town all day, finding the car, and then seeing him get in it, what would you do? (a) Would you follow him home and confront him? Risky with the present state of the world. (b) Would you key his vehicle? Even riskier not knowing who he is or if he or his neighbors are watching. (c) Would you take down his license plate number and call the police? See part (3) above.

Disclaimer to the above:

I don't support vandalism as a cure for vandalism. I'm just being realistic after a few incidents (keep reading) where I was a victim.

Pete, I know you said you don't want to hear this, but it's a free country. I think keying the guy's car in retaliation was stupid. Stooping even below his mistake violated your own morals (and most of ours too) and was just plain dumb. You could've gotten into huge trouble if someone had seen you do it. I know it sucks -- my 1988 Hyundai was less than a week old when a DUMP TRUCK parked next to me and swung his door into the side of my car, leaving a HUGE dent in it. A year later, the driver of a mid-70s, tank-sized Pontiac Bonneville ran a red light and clipped the side of my rear bumper, sending me into the 270-degree spin of my life at 45 mph. He kept going and MY insurance had to pay the $2,000 repair bill. That's life, and that's why insurance is there.

SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP!!!!!!!!

Meade
    May I suggest posting your question on the Tribute topic? You might also try the Ford Escape topic since I would bet many potential buyers are considering either -- since they're clones.

Meade
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    While your response probably wasn't the most mature thing to do, I probably would have done the same thing. Meade's response is totally correct, and probably the most mature route, but the issue here is not vandalism, its carelessness. The guy in the de ville was careless when he smacked your car with his door. Either he didn't realize it, or he doesn't give a damn about his car. That does not give him the right to treat other peoples cars the same as he treats his. Having your insurance fix the ding is a good idea, but at least now Mr. De Ville will (hoepfully) be more careful when he opens his car doors, and maybe you've just saved others from the same aggravation.
    Maybe Mr. DeVille, in his carelessness, never realized he dinged Pete's car, and now feels like HE TOO has been vandalized for no reason and wants to take it out on someone. Maybe now HE is out for a little retaliation, and others may now be at risk not only from his doors, but his keys as well.

You're right ... the issue here isn't vandalism ... it's carelessness AND vandalism. Carelessness on the part of Mr. DeVille, and vandalism on the part of Pete. Like my wife says, two wrongs do not make a right (but three rights make a left).

I know one thing ... I'm keeping my car out of Arlington Heights until this vandalism spree has run its course!!!

;-)

Meade
  • laurakatlaurakat Member Posts: 69
    I know this may not work for crowded shopping areas or large city downtown parking, but I always park at the end of the parking lot to get as far away as possible from other cars. Now I'm fortunate to live and work in the burbs which helps make this possible. This always ticks my wife off, but I look at it as a way to help protect my new car, plus I get a little extra excercise by walking the extra distance. I'm still relatively young and in reasonable shape, so I'll make the extra walk. It always amazes me when I go to our health club and see people in there 20's and 30's waiting for that close parking spot, when there are plenty of spots in the overflow lot. Why not start your workout with a brisk walk from your car to the building???

Mike
  • laurakatlaurakat Member Posts: 69
    Pete, your right about the 8 hour trip may not be worth it. If there were a confirmed group of, lets say 6 - 10 Proteges or more, I'd probably make the effort. Besides, I have a friend that lives in Chicago that I haven't seen for about 15 years. It would give me a good excuse to go see him.

Mike
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    is that those suckers have spring loaded doors. That is why they open up with such a force (owner has no intention) that will and can cause a ding on the neighboring cars' door.

try to put a ding using the pro's door. not very succesful since it does not have a spring loaded hinge.
  • twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    Umm...doesn't your wife also say "better safe than sorry"???

Also, why do you assume there's only a downside if you're actually CONVICTED of something?

And...you never know who can find out what once you post info on the internet.

BTW, sight seen this morning: two brutally slashed tires (we're talking OJ style) sitting at the curb in my commuter train parking lot. Looks like somebody got caught talking to someone else's husband at the bar.

twist (not my real name) ;-)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    The perpetrator probably remembers they dinged your door.

Seeing you standing next to their car is probably keeping them away.

I'd wait some distance away and see who comes up to the offending vehicle.
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    I have Mobil1 full synth in my 01 Protege ES. I won a bet and get 4 more free changes (5 total or less than $250). I switched it over at 1000miles and its at 6000miles now. I'm going to change at 7500miles and every 7500miles after that until the warranty is spent. After that I'll probably change every 15-20k or once a year if I stay with synth.
    If I switch back to dino oil: I'm just not a believer in the 3k oil change...Normally I run dead dino oil to 7500miles anyway so for me its really no different other than for the next 4 changes its free.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I would have never guessed. See, my name is Malt Barley.

I sell swampland in FL.
    I switched over at the first oil change.

Main benefits for me are faster, smoother starts when the engine is cold, especially in the winter. I figure it's better for the engine...at least the engine SOUNDS happier.

I use either Mobil 1 or Valvoline.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    The activity on the Tribute board is dormant compared to this board.

As a fellow Protege owner and a frequent visitor to this board, I didn't think it would be out of the ordinary to ask for Tribute information on this board. I've found most folks here are very helpful.
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    Hello fellow Protege owners, I just wanted to share in the joy of owning a Protege. Finally- I tried getting my dad to buy one in 1994, and I looked for one three years ago when I bought my 1993 MX6, I finally have a Protege of my own. I couldn't resist the 0% apr with 6 mos. deferred payments. It's a Millenium Red Mica ES 5 spd with the premium package. I love everything about it except that the speakers are cheap. And what ever happenned to seatback pockets? How expensive is it to include those? I looked under the hood yesterday and the car has a very interesting spark plug setup. It looks like it has no distributor/cap or rotor- the wires seem to go directly from the leads to the spark plugs. What is this new system? And what's with the toy horn? My MX6 has a nicer horn. I love the handling, braking, and power of the 2.0 engine. It doesn't sound as good as the older protege 1.8L engines, but I'm sure it's just as durable. Sorry for the long babble...
    twist ... If you're that concerned about people hunting you down using the Internet, you'd better take that photo of your two sons off of Epinions.

And try not to be so paranoid. As I just demonstrated above, anyone with the slightest amount of talent and a little time to kill can find just about anything. I guess I'm not so paranoid because I've been a ham radio operator for 21 years. Wanna find a WHOLE LOT about me? Simple. Just go to http://www.qrz.com or any of several dozen sites like it ... hell, you can even get the info straight from the FCC's website ... and enter my call sign, K4CMD. If you saw THAT on my license plate in a parking lot (which you can), lookie what you could find out! Want my exact latitude and longitude, so you can drop an H-bomb on my house? How about a map? Or my e-mail address? Just click on "Detailed Info" on that site. I haven't been nuked, dinged or keyed ... yet!

And since you brought it up, here are a few quotes my wife and I live by ...

When I look back on all the worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which never happened. -- Winston Churchill

There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Worry never takes the sorrow out of tomorrow, it just saps today of its strength. -- Anonymous

If you're going to worry, there's no need to pray; if you're going to pray, there's no need to worry. -- Tiffany Berry

draymond ... No problem on posting the question here ... as far as I'm concerned. I was trying to steer you toward the Tribute topic because I've seen the Town Hall managers descend on off-topic posts and forward them to the appropriate topics. To answer your question, the Richmond dealer I deal with ... Whitten Brothers Mazda, which can be found at http://www.whittenbrothers.com -- is now selling all remaining 2001 models at clearance prices (whatever that means) and is selling 2002 Tributes for 5 percent over invoice -- which is the highest over-invoice price of any Mazda product they sell, probably because the Tribute is so darned popular here right now!

pete ... How far away is Chicago from Richmond? Hmmm ...

Meade

• draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for the info......
    thanks for proving my point

twist
  • groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    Uhmm.....if you want more attendee's to come to CAPP, ADVERTISE!!! I'll advertise for you if you send me the details and stuff. Ask Hunter who owns "Protegetech.com", he said he'd advertise for MAPP II but it was too late by the time i told him about it. Oh and I don't know if you were kidding about making a "Protege Owners Club" but that exact same name just started a month ago located here: http://www.protegeclub.com That is where i got a few more people to attend MAPP II and there were a few people in the Chicago region talking about getting a meet going. Also try posting it on the protegetech yahoo group, there are a LOT of people on that.

If you want me to advertise for your meet, send me the details at groharlem@hotmail.com I'm sure you could get at least 10 people to go (i'm hoping) if you advertise on the protege forums.

BTW: props for what u did to that deville...that [non-permissible content removed] had it coming :)

You're welcome. Now stop being so paranoid.

Meade
    Meade- Maybe that's possible, but based on the description of the damage by Pete, I would be truly surprised if he didn't realize that he'd smacked the car next to him.

Probably, like somebody already suggested, he saw Pete waiting for him, and decided to check out the Blue Light Special one more time.

Steve
    Also, off the previous subject. I wanted to thank you for your hard work in organizing the MAPP II. I think everyone who attended had a good time. Speaking of which, you mentioned you'd done something to your license plate frame to keep it from rattling. What was it again, just rubber bushings of some sort?

Steve
    That license plate rattle fix really was a no-brainer. The problem is, since the plate is attached to the car only by the top, the bottom is left to hang right against the trunk lid and vibrate annoyingly every time you shut the trunk, turn up the bass (just stock sound system here, guys, OK?), or even hit a big enough bump!

Solution: Go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pep Boys, Trak Auto, Advance, NAPA, hell, most anyplace that sells car accessory stuff. Then go to that part of the store that we *REAL* car buffs never visit -- that place where they have cheap stick-on mirrors, compasses that pick their own direction, magnetic key safes, aftermarket coin holders, pina colada air fresheners, etc. -- YOU KNOW the area I'm talking about.

Pick yourself up a pair of black NYLON license plate bolts and nuts. They're cheap (if you pay 2 bucks you've probably paid too much) and the bolts are maybe 3/4 of an inch long, if that. Remove your rear plate and attach these things, nuts included, to the BOTTOM two holes of your plate. Then re-attach your plate (or should I say, "Installation is the reverse of removal"). The additional length of nylon bolt that protrudes through the nut will now serve as a standoff, holding the bottom edge of your plate away from the car just enough to keep tension against the trunk lid -- but not enough tension to hurt the lid, especially since the nuts are nylon. Now your trunk won't TWAAANNNGGGG when you shut it!

You can *just* make out those nuts (for placement purposes) in this photo:

http://www.geocities.com/negatize/media/specialty/meade00_rear.jpg

By the way, I originally did this high-tech ;-) mod to keep my license plate frame from rattling. Little did I know it wasn't the plate frame that was rattling -- it was the plate against the car itself. This solved both problems!

Meade

• bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    This is a first: My MP3 needs the clutch adjusted! I told the service department at 1500 miles (first service) that I thought the clutch was not adjusted correctly and they didn't adjust it then. Now the clutch is engaging at the very top of the pedal travel. Is this normal on the Protege?

Shiftless in Suburbia

P.S. ...and no it's not due to holeshots at every stoplight, or even every other one!
    My 2000 ES is my third Protege, and my second 5-speed. My 2000 just flipped 27,000 miles and is doing fine. My 1992 went 83,000 miles with no clutch abnormalities.

I'd take your service department to task on your complaint, if I were you. The Protege's clutch is hydraulic and is self-adjusting, so they shouldn't have to adjust anything as it wears. If it's out of whack in its travel now, it was out of whack when you bought the car and they need to adjust it.

Meade
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    OK, folks, need some advice...

Kind of crunched up my tailpipe this morning getting out of my very tight apt. building garage...backed into some concrete (curb?) at a not-so-slow speed.

Probably needs to be replaced.

So the question is, go to the dealer (many miles away), or the goofy body shop (3 blocks away, but not to familiar with Mazdas)?

Should I demand OEM, or is aftermarket OK? How much you think this will run me?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. to Pete:
    Totally understand your frustration with the dent...yesterday, I was parked in the last legal spot from the corner on a city street. Jeep Grand Cherokee decides to pull in behind me, somehow thinking that if he got REAL close to me, that would somehow make him legal as well. Result: I tore up my bumper on his license plate holder trying to get out. [maybe I should just never drive in reverse, right? :)]
    Ouch! Sounds like one of those weeks you should've stayed home and watched the soaps. We all have 'em! My condolences!

We, the enlightened fellow owners of the Protege Posse, need more information. Did you damage just the end of the pipe (it's a chrome cover, not really part of the pipe), or did you do worse -- such as jam the end of the pipe into the muffler, or dent the muffler, or EVEN WORSE, push the entire exhaust system out of whack?

Meade
    ...those are very good questions, and now I'm REALLY going to have to display my ignorance. Please remember that I never even owned a car until a few months ago...

The outer cover part seems to be dented a little bit into the inner part, although not so much as to completely close the whole thing up...really just the shape of the opening is changed a little.

As far as jamming things into the muffler, or knocking the whole exhaust out of whack, I really don't know. It did sound a little louder to me on my way to work this morning :( What would I be looking for to see if this happened?

And thank you for your quick response! You must be working hard, just like me :)
    I'd have the dealer look at it, just to be on the safe side. You don't have to commit to doing the work there.

What concerns me is the change in the sound. It indicates something has changed further up from the tailpipe (and could've created a leak in the system, which may lead to exhaust gases getting into the cabin). Minor crimping of the tailpipe shouldn't have changed the exhaust note or sound level that you'd notice it.
    Yikes!!

Okay, windows down until I get it to the dealer.

Thanks for the warning.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    IDEAS tonight! Meade in particular. That twanging license plate, I've been bothered by that too on most cars I have owned. Try those self-sticking pyramid-type rubber pads sold at K-Mart and Wal-Mart in the picture or household area. They work too on the back of the plate.

Pete--I feel your pain. Know how you felt and I have had bad urges to cut valve stems or punkture tires (all four) with an ice pick, many times. Of course, I would leave a note on the offenders windshild: "Calling a wrecker won't cost you as much as repairing the dent and painting my door. See ya!"

Usually, at Wal-Mart, I park way out and if another driver parks too close to my car, I move it farther out where employees park. That usually works and the excercise is good for me. Look for the most empty part of the parking lot. Wait a few minutes to see who comes in and if they park next to you. Some drivers have to have a car next to them to judge the painted lines marking the ends of the spaces. Anybody THAT DUMB is going to hit your car.

fowler3
    isellhondas "Inconsiderate Buyers" Oct 10, 2001 2:30pm

Just to show you I'm not the only "paranoid" one on Town Hall. At least one leading citizen also thinks discretion is a virtue in here.

twist

(not paranoid, just recommending common sense, especially now that I know I can get a map to Meade's front door knowing nothing other than his Town Hall screen name)
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Sorry about your car. I'd probably do the same in your situation - there are waaayyy too many ignorant people in this world that need to be taught a lesson or two. I'm surprised I've actually made it two years with NO door dings on my car. The only blemishes it has are some mysterious scratches by the rear left wheelwell and a scratch on the bumper that where my fahter backed it into a pole :( Hardly noticeable though!

Oh and Larry, how's the work coming on your Protege in the body shop? Have they fixed it up like it was before that stupid deer hit your car?
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I run Mobil 1 10W-30 Synthetic oil in my car since it hit 10K miles. As a matter of fact, I just changed the oil yesterday. I think synthetic does have its advantages, it runs noticeably smoother than before and when the engine is not warmed up yet it sounds better.
    Come on over! I'd love to show you the car. Just call first. My home phone number is (202) 456-1414.

Meade
    meade is President of the United States!

Can we end this now?

Pete can decide for himself what to do, as have we.

twist
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    i'm still working on uploading the pics to my site, as of now i have the group pic and the "hotel" where we stayed overnight...

http://www.krotine.com

krotine

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I wanted to do the same on my Pro (use Mobil 1), but the dealer suggested that it would be too expensive since to keep the warranty "on", the oil filter would have to be changed every 8000km (regular Mazda Canada svc. intevals). This would mean that I would loose oil when changing the filter, which would have to be replaced. At a cost of $7-8 Cdn per litre, this is a more expensive option than to do the regular svc intervals and complement it 4000kn in between with a home-done oil change but with Mazda factory filter and Castrol GTX. So that`s what I am doing now:

4000km=home oil change with Mazda OEM filter and Castrol GTX

8 000 km=regular Mazda service done at dealer
    12 000 km=home
    16 000 km=dealer
    etc...

Hope this helps.

Dinu
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Nice graphics and effects Jason! Keep posting more MAPP pics if you have any left.
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Your comments did not fall on deaf ears...nor did anyone else's support. I had the car looked at today...$330-500 to get like new. I think I'll have to think about that one. Cash is short now and it's NOT covered under comprehensive, insurance says collision ($500 deductible).

I do have to reiterate that I'm ashamed of what I did. I would have been better off going into the store and reporting his alarm going off or something to draw the person out, then I could have insisted he pay for the repairs. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 right?

Laurakat, twist and others...I too park so that I can't get dinged easily, and my car was almost to the far end of the lot. I was most upset because he parked next to me and NO ONE ELSE was anywhere near either of our cars. There was no flippin reason for him to park so close. It's over and done with...except for the repairs, both to my car and his. Incidentally, I called the Cadillac dealer today and asked what it would cost to repair a key scratch on my imaginary DeVille. Service manager said repairs usually run 700-1000 to prep and refinish the door. That didn't make me feel any better.

I checked out the Mazda Club as suggested, and I'll probably join them. I officially give up on the CAPP...for now. I will email all suggested parties when I'm ready to organize the First Annual CAPP in spring of 2002!!! Meade...I always knew it would be difficult to organize but what I said before stays true...the best times I've had have always been spontaneous-type events organized at the last minute, by word of mouth, with no official organizer or sponsor. I will try to break that mold however with CAPP in the spring!

Thanks for all the support and friendship from all! This is without a doubt the BEST discussion on Edmunds!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Pete

p.s. what was up with the board last night? I couldn't post anything....?
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    BTW, great chat tonight - more people should try and join in if posible!

A friend (whom I convinced to buy a Pro ES a few months ago) had a bit of an incident (can't call it an accident!)

She did not notice that exitting/entering passengers had left her right rear door open, and reversed into a parking lot pillar at about 4-6 mph. The right side airbags deflated. 3 people in car, including front passenger seat - no injuries, and the door took ALL the impact (crumpled at the bottom). But the repair bill is about $3K!

I was curious if the side airblag should deflate so easily, keep in mind the low speed, in reverse, and a backwards collision only between the open door and a pillar.

Also, any frame checks/tests she should insist the bodyshop perform, or something else she should check/be wary of?
  • sdayalanisdayalani Member Posts: 60
    K&N air filter (or filtercharger as they like to call it) for my 99 pro 1.8L.
    shall install it tommorow and see how it goes.
    based on the positive feedback i read, i hope it outlives my car ..besides increasing the engine output by 2-3 hp and improving fuel economy.

also, waxed the car with zymol cleaner wax.
    didnt notice much of a difference than the last time i waxed it with meguiars cleaner wax, except that zymol was double the price.
    have to observe the "durability" though.
    twist, did you actually call the White House? HA HA HA HA HA!!!

OK, my friend, we'll end this now. Had fun.

Jason and Wil -- I finally got around to downloading my MAPP photos. I seem to have some photos no one else has -- of the people, the shelter, the grill, etc. Let me know what e-mail to send them to so you guys can see 'em and post 'em if ya wanna.

Jason -- Great "Motel Hell" stuff. Geesh, your photo really DOES make the place look like the last unbombed building in Afghanistan!

Meade
    Well, the sensors for the side air bags are enclosed in the bottom of the b-pillars (the upright frame members between the front and rear doors) -- near the lower anchor point for the seat belts. I would imagine if that area of the car took a sudden impact, as it seems to have done, then yes, those air bags would deploy. And yes, I guess I'd have to say that aside from an engine fire, air bag deployment and ABS failure are the two most expensive things that can happen to a car. Still, if this had happened to me, I'd be fighting Mazda over what caused the air bags to deploy. I'd definitely file a report with NHTSA (if it happened in the U.S.).

If you go to a reputable body shop (don't take it to a dealer for body repairs!) they should perform all necessary measurements to ensure the frame is sound, and they'll correct any misalignments in the frame. Following that accident in my 1988 Hyundai I alluded to about a dozen posts back -- since my car was hit at a 90-degree angle on one corner, the frame was bent. My car spent two days "in traction" on a frame-straightening machine to bend it back within specs again. BTW, I drove that little car 115,000 miles with few major problems (and it spent its whole life delivering pizzas!), and then traded it in on my first Protege in September 1991. That Hyundai really wasn't a bad little car, considering it was built cheaply, didn't have A/C, and only cost $7,100.

Meade
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    this is in response to a posting much earlier. i have the magnetic bra and i had trouble in the beginning matching to the contours. but after leaving it in the sun laid out on my hood, i had no problems what so ever. it has now been 1 month and still matchs the contour perfectly. the outside temp was about 65 degrees but the hood in the sun was much hotter. i'm very happy with it. (winter might be a different situation), but i store the car.
    Paul (vocus) was the one with the magnetic bra, and last weekend he was saying he was going to return it for a refund. Did you do that yet, Paul?

Meade
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    Would you please send me the photos of what you have.

jason_krotine@limbachinc.com

Are you thinking of MAPP III yet?

krotine
    The photos are on their way!

Meade