Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I was quoted locally @ $750 plus tax for Blizzaks and rims. As you're probably aware the '01 ES has 16" wheels. Tirerack suggested going to 15" wheels and Michelin Artic Alpins for $498.04 and this price included $58.04 shipping. Can't go wrong. Sadly my poor Pro feels downright humbled with its plain black steel wheels and will remain so for the next 5 months. Sigh! A lifetime.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    It does keep the system lubricated, but when you have -10 Celsius outside, I'm sure we can defrony w/out a/c. But you do have a good point about turning a/c on every month in the winter. I was advised by a mechanic to let it run once/mth to keep the compressor and system in shape.
    and the RX-8 is great. Here's the link for the MP3 article.

http://thestar.com Follow the WEEKLY SECTIONS link, WHEELS link, then click "Souped-up Protegé MP3 angles for musical ride"

Enjoy!

• fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    How about going to an auto parts stores and buying a set of wheel covers, maybe fake alloys?

fowler3
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Don't sweat the black rims...you'll be laughing all the way to work....and home again.

I also ordered ugly black steel rims and Michellin Artic Alpin tires for my '00 ES. I took the 14" size as my standard is 15" rims. 436.04 complete with shipping and a set of free radios from Motorola to boot! I took the 195/60-15 size. I personally will be buying the Bridgestone S-03's for spring and I can't wait to give my rims the cleaning of their lives...including a triple wax job! They won't have looked as good since new!!! Save the finish for the really nice summer days...trust me...you'll feel the same when your wheels look like new next summer and everyone else's look like the moon's surface!

I too will be buying wheel covers, Target and Walmart seem to have a good selection. When they're covered with salt and slush, who cares what they look like!
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    dinu01 - I saw the articles in today's Star, too! Did you see the sales figures for Canada in August. The Protege is #3 for all cars, big or small.

Re. winter tires. I got quoted $720 (now down to $700), installed, for Pirelli Winter Ice 195-55-15 Assymetricos and black steel rims, which are kinda ugly. The dealer said they would change the tires for free lifetime during spring and fall service. I know they make money on maintenance so is this a good deal?

I've only found one user comment on the Pirelli winter tires, which was very positive, but they don't have the advertising like Blizzaks or Alpins so I still wonder how good they are. The winter rubber compound is 100% vs. 55% for the Blizzaks and handling is supposed to be good, too.
    PS, yep I'm in Toronto.
  • etrastetrast Member Posts: 9
    I am trying to install aftermarket stereo in my 01 protege ES. Anybody know how to remove the factory stereo. I could goto local bestbuy and get it installed but their prices are 50 dollars higher than the online price for a rockford fosgate indash mp3/cd player.Any directions will be greatly appreciated
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Due to copyright issues, you can't copy and paste articles from other places into your messages. Instead, you can include a link to material from other sites that you'd like folks here to see (as long as the host site does not prohibit your doing so, that is).

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Didn't know about that. Will include a link in the future
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Anyone heard of the Dunlop Graspics? They seem to be less expensive than comparable Michelins.
    Mazda RX-8 are on this web site, includes interior shots. Yellow is not my favorite color, but hopefully they will have others.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2001/tokyo/highlights/h02-mazda-rx8.html

On wheel covers: if you don't want to buy them, then you could spray-paint the wheels argent (silver) on the outside. If you paint look for Krylon spray cans and put on two coats.

About waxing: I saw a car and truck show on ESPN Saturday and the owners said they use Mother's California Gold, Pure Canauba Wax. No abrasives in it. Has anyone tried this brand?

Those cars and trucks really glowed!

Fowler3

• dkozikdkozik Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,
    I've been looking at buying a Protege for months now, and am finally ready to take the plunge. But there are a few concerns surrounding *where* I buy my car.
    See, I live in L.A., but my job is transferring me back to Washington in three weeks. Thankfully, they'll ship all my furniture et. al., plus they'll also fly me back. However, I'd like to drive back-- take some time off, see the country, stop to see family along the way. To do that I'll need a car. I was waiting to buy a car in DC, but things have fallen into place to make it an option here:
    -- If I buy it now, I can register in VA vice CA, saving me that god-awful vehicle licensing tax (VA has one too, but it's a lot less).
    -- I still have a VA license (don't ask), so I can buy and get a "driveaway permit" w/o having to switch my license and take the stupid test twice.
    -- VA insurance (cheaper than CA by half).
    -- The exact model I want (ES, black, fully-loaded manual w/S-plan pricing).

Here are my concerns: I "buy" it now, but because of the driveaway permit (good for only 24 hours in CA, or so I'm told-- anyone use one of these before?), I would have to sign the paperwork the day before I left the state. Which means I'm buying a brand new car and then driving it cross-country the next day. My guess would be this would be bad (understatement) for the break-in period (although I wouldn't go flat-out east-- have to stop at Vegas and the tourist traps along the way), plus potentially even more worrisome, if I have problems with the car I'm now VERY far away from the original dealer.

So, my questions for anyone who can help: is this a good idea to try this with the Pro? If I have trouble along the way, will I be able to get warranty service at other dealers w/o them turning their noses up (not to mention warranty service on the car in the DC Metro area)? Plus, how hard would this be on the car-- three to four thousand miles on the car in a week, brand new? I'd have to get my early oil-change and service along the way-- would I do something like this at a Mazda dealer, or will Jiffy Lube do the trick? I can wait until I get to DC to buy, but I lose out on the trip, Turkey Day with the family, and time off. But if something like this would ruin my car. . .

Help???
    Dave
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    For starters, - NOT a good idea to drive a brand new car cross country (unless you religiously keep it under 4000rpm for the first 100 miles - I know I don't have the self control to drive at 55 from LA to approximately Denver!)

As for the alternate option, write to me at -
    tishoo@hotmail.com

(your profile doesn't have your email address, or I'd have written directly to you off the board!)

-ashu
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    What did that comment mean the other day about the PMS? Please explain.

I tinted my taillamps the other day with this spray tint stuff I got. I think they look really neat too, but I messed up the right one a little bit. Oh well, can't be perfect I guess. :(

With the cold weather, the crack in the windsheild is getting bigger. Guess I will be replacing it in about a month or so if it keeps going like this.

I bought HID bulbs from EBay back in August, and discovered yesterday that one of them is burned out already. I had a shop put them in, so I bet they touched the lens of the bulb, and you aren't suppose to. I emailed the company, so we will see what kind of response I will get from them.

I took a little road trip this past weekend, to Hagerstown, Md. with a friend. I came from Baltimore, so I had to go up a mountain and back down. I was pushing the pedal with just he and I in the car, and light luggage. I looked down and I was going 80! I couldn't believe how much difference in power there is between the DX I used to have (had to keep it floored almost all the way up to get going at the 65mph limit) and the ES I have now. To say I was pleased was an understatement. :)
  • black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    I think it would be pretty safe to take the vehicle to DC. As long as you vary your speeds for the first few hundred miles. I don't think that you will have any warranty issues to worry about that soon. I would just take it easy until you get to about 500-1,000 miles.
  • mckaguemckague Member Posts: 24
    I have Michilin Arctic Alpines on 16x7" alloys. True, a narrower wheel/tire (necessitating a smaller wheel diameter) would be better for a snow tire/wheel combo, but the snow tires work well with the larger size anyway. It's not as if you totally negate the usefulness of the snow tire if you go with 16" vs. 15 or 14. This is on a grand prix gtp, not a protege, but should apply anyway. The bigger wheels/tires will, of course, cost more, but I felt personally that the better looks and not having to deal with wheel covers was worth it - just my opinion for my car, of course.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Since this is my first car I still have many questions. Can somebody please tell me what the "-1 size" for the '01 LX 2.0 tires would be? I believe that they are P195/55R15. I'm looking at getting a set of Blizzaks for these brutal Canadian winters. Thanks in advance.

PF
  • cpoupartcpoupart Member Posts: 13
    Hey Norcan - I'm in Toronto too - '01 ES GT - where did you get the great price for the Pirelli snow tires?

Thanks

cp
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Heck yes, do it. Sounds like a good vacation. It is a mazda, so you shouldn't have problems. If you're a bit nervous, buy it a few days or a week early and drive it around to break it in gently and vary the speeds (and not rev it too much). Climbing mountains is a bit of a strain. You can search out other Mazda dealers on the web, and make an appt for an oil change there (or elsewhere) a week/more in advance...tell them you are on a long trip and will be passing through.

If I buy a mazda and don't get it locally, I'll be doing the same thing ... should make for a good road trip.
  • eeterpeeterp Member Posts: 33
    There will be a huge race/event at Maryland International Raceway on Nov 11. It's called WWIII, commonly called imports vs domestics. I and many other protege owners are going to show up in force. Even if you don't care much for the racing or the car show, come out and meet some of the fellow protege owners in the area.

Here's the link:

http://www.mirdrag.com/schedule/import.htm
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    "Price is great" - just wondering, what are you comparing it to, because most snow tire buyers have experience with Blizzaks and Alpins, not Pirellis. The tires are at my dealer, Gyro Motors.
  • etrastetrast Member Posts: 9
    Just came to know that none of the indash mp3 cd players will fit my 01 protege. The only one that will fit is the kenwood z 919(One that comes in mp3 edition of pro). Now my decision to buy a pro does not look like a great decision. The reason I was given by the rep in crutchfield is the lack of depth. Pro had a deph of 6.4 " and all the indash mp3 have a depth greater than that
    If you drive it moderately and vary the speed up and down for the first 600 miles it should do alright. Varying the speed means slowly getting up to 55 and then dropping back to 45mph. It's a pain, but you want to avoid driving at a steady speed so the piston/rings will wear-in smoothly.

Don't push it going over mountains, downshift frequently so it won't overheat the engine. Keep an eye on the coolant temperature guage. If the needle goes up, slow down, but do not stop the car. Stopping will make it worse. Pay attention to any hot odors from the engine that may indicate overheating.

Be sure the tires are at the proper preasure before starting out, that's 32psi front and rear. Don't just go by what they are when you leave the dealership.

Try to use the same brand of gas along your route. Check the oil level when you fill up at stations. Carry an extra quart just in case. Also carry extra windshield washer fluid. It may rain a lot along your way and you will need it. Storm systems seem to move west to east. When I was driving from Albuquerque to Virginia on a trip a rain system followed me the whole way, it rained constantly.

Make frequent stops to rest and get refreshments. Stop early for overnight accommodations at about 5:00PM. Leave early the next morning after a good breakfast.

Pre-check Mazda dealer locations along your route and get an oil/filter change at about 2000 miles to be on the safe side. You can have the oil change at a service station, Save the receipt for your records and to show the dealer you will go to in DC.

In the days following WW II, many Virginia and North Carolina dealers had to take delivery of new cars in Washington, DC and drive them home. They had to drive them at no more than 45mph. Those cars had govenors on them to limit the speed for the first 1000 miles even when sold to buyers. Then the device was removed by the dealer.

And old tip for cross-country drivers: Before Interstates, we use to take a map and draw a straight line between the starting point and our destination. Then drove as close to that line as possible using all roads, highways and rural. You get to see the real country that way.

protege_fan: look on your tire sidewalls for the size. It's embossed on all tires. The tire presure is printed on a label inside the driver's door frame.

fowler3
  • winlet28winlet28 Member Posts: 19
    Hey guys.

I am selling my 2000 silver Protege ES. It has 19,000 miles, CD, Cassette and all of the standard ES features. (no moonroof) Kelly Bluebook says Retail Value of $14,265 and selling to a private party value of $12, 595 and of course the dreaded trade in (screw ya) of $10, 700 (not going that route) Any idea what I should ask? Somewhere between the retail and private? It's in perfect shape and very fun to zoom zoom in. But we need a bigger car for our family. Thanks
    Keep up to date on the weather forcasts, ahead, on your route. Check it frequently this time of year. You don't want to get stuck in some podunk town because of a snow storm. It may be days before the roads are open. Neither try to beat a storm.

fowler3
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    you are better than an overprotective mother. I alsways wondered who read all those trip notes that AAA puts out.

Don't forget your galoshes!
  • groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    I just freshly installed XP on my computer upstairs and WOW!! It runs much stabler than my old 98 SE and I didn't have to load a single driver which surprised me! I reformatted my C: partition for it and just full installed it. I have the Corporate edition which doens't require you to register it in order to use it (unlike the Home and Professional editions).

Corporate is also the same exact thing as Professional (full), cept for that one register thing ;). Oh how I love piracy :P!!
    Sounds interesting, but it's like $15 to get in. I guess that's not too bad, but I don't have anything to compare it with. I might just go. I always wanted to "race" my 2001, but not sure if it would qualify or not. And also, I am not really experience in "race" driving either. We will see I guess. :0
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Concept cars Mazda's showing in Tokyo:

http://www.mazda.co.jp/motorshow/english/concept/index.html

This site highlights their new engines:

http://www.mazda.co.jp/motorshow/english/tech/eng.html

I found these links from Ford, of all places.

• eeterpeeterp Member Posts: 33
    I've never been to the imports vs domestics but, from what I hear, you'll forget all about the $15. It's basically the last show/race of the year too. I'm not sure how the racing works. They may have a qualifying round or something. Anyway, there will be loads of cars showing and hopefully a load of proteges there too. Hope to see all of you there. :)
    Ok, here is my question again:
    Let's say my tires are P195/55R15V. What would be the "-1" size (in terms of winter tire "downsizing"). Thanks

PF
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    According to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html a 185/65-14 would give you an identical circumprence with a 0.1% speedometer error.
  • cpoupartcpoupart Member Posts: 13
    I thought it was a great price because Johnson & Magwood in Mississauga quoted me 925$ 'all in' (taxes included) for Pilot Alpines on 15" rims.

CP
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    I'm sure your '00 Pro is very nice. Never a question. Couple of things not in your favor right now. Let me state the obvious - the glut of cars on new lots now and all the incentives dealers are giving to get them off the floor. With that said, unless you're a dealer you can forget retail blue book. Heck, even if you are a dealer you can forget retail book. I've never even heard of anyone (even in good economic times) that paid retail book. Not going to happen unless you're selling to a moron. And most of us that would even look at the Pro aren't morons. You don't have a sunroof (most pre-owned buyers look for bells and whistles you know...) IMHO, you should be able to get somewhere between private party and trade value. That you're still under warranty would make me think closer to PP value. Remember, most banks (that are profitable) aren't going to loan a dollar over trade value unless it's a BMW or Lexus or something of that caliber. Unless you're offering the buyer 0% financing, you're looking at an uphill battle. Good luck to you.
    Thanks a lot for the great advice. I think I *am* going to buy the car. I'm supposed to go this week to sign all the paperwork, although I won't take delivery until the day before I leave (to the poster who suggested I get the car early and drive it around, I would if I could, but the trip permit doesn't allow me to stay in CA longer than 24 hours. Realistically, I could probably push it and get away with it, but my guess is it would be a bad idea to get my car impounded or the like when I need it to leave town.

Anyways, Fowler3, back to your post. Thanks a lot for your advice. I'm planning two routes (a Northern through CA-AZ-NM-CO-KS-NE-IA-IL, and a Southern through CA-AZ-NM-TX-OK-AR-IL) in case the weather reports look awful. I've been to Colorado once, C-Springs, and I took at trip to the Royal Gorge over the Arkansas. I don't know how mountainous the trip north through AZ-NM-CO is, or how hard it'll be on the new car. I'm planning on spending a pretty long day seeing the sights in Arizona, I figure that should be enough to break in the car before I head through higher land. It's not that breaking in the car is a pain, it's just that there simply aren't many 600-mile routes between L.A. and points east that don't involve either high-speed or mountainous terrain.

A question about breaking in the Protege-- what does the manual say? I read some of the boards on Edmunds dealing with the subject, and there's a lot of gloom and doom. I'm not planning on riding the car hard at all for the first day or two, but I'd like to know what my realistic limits are. Are there other things to look/listen for other than bad odors/overheating? What sort of RPM should I run (My last car was a 98 Golf I had to get rid of, and I don't think I ever ran that over 4000 RPM).

Finally, any tips for driving the manual Pro? Again, I had a 5-spd VW, and the only time I ever drove that in snow I had a real tough time moving out in first. I've heard that you can start out in second, but how does this work in practice? I'm looking to get the most out of my car.

Thanks,
    DK
    Hey folks,

I'm going to go buy my Protege ES this week, and I'd like to know what sorts of things I should look for during the test-drive/walk-around. I won't take delivery for another two weeks (see my earlier posts), so I'll make sure to check everything out again before I drive off the lot. I'd like to do a thorough personal inspection of the vehicle, but I'd like to know from veteran owners what sorts of warning signs there may be that indicate a potential problem (i.e., the Pro's headlights are sometimes foggy, and if they are, that means a 90% chance of failure in six months based on experience).

Again, I'm immediately putting the car through the mother of all roadtrips, so I won't be able to return to the dealer for three days of service if a light doesn't come on at the right time. Murphy's Law says I've got issues. . .

Thanks again,
    DK
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    a couple basic things: fluids are all topped off, spare tire is filled and all tools are included, correct operation of all lights, correct operation of radio / CD, HVAC...

if you're really picky (and i am), u can get down low and look at your car from the side, for door dings, scratches, paint imperfections, etc. but, since u are going on a huge road trip, not sure how relevant that'd be for u...since u'll probably get your fair share of rock chips on the highways (which reminds me, maybe u should get a bottle of touch up paint too..) i had a buncha scratches (when i got my car in aug 01) on my roof, so i'm just speaking from experience.

hope that helps...and good luck!
    'duh'
    Hi guys!

Just went to North Toronto Mazda this morning. I was told that each Mazda dealer in Canada is responsible for getting their own tires to sell to clients, meaning Mazda Canada does not provide dealers with tires to sell. This obviously means that prices should differ from dealership to dealership across the GTA.

They confirmed the Pirellis (195/55/R15) are $112+tax/tire instead of $187. Rims are $55 each+tax. Installation and balancing was not included in the price, but the parts guy said that it should cost 1hr of labour ($77)to do it.

So basically I'm not sure where to go from here:

1. Should I get the rims and tires combo and pay $220 more or should I just get the tires and mount them on the original rims and keep switching in spring and fall?

2. Should I get the Pirellis ($845+) or Kumhos ($700)?

Also, for the Toronto people, please post the prices you were quoted, tire details, and location/tel #, so we can all make an informed decision.

Thanx, Dinu.
    As the others advise, check the car over thoroughly as if you hope to find something wrong. Check the fluid levels and tire pressures. Sit in the seat and rock it using body motion, see if it squeeks. If so, try another car with the same color and options.

It might be a good idea to test-drive several Pro ES models before deciding on one. Cars vary in their feel and personality. All look the same but have a difference on the road.

In Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado you will be driving at higher altitudes so the engine will feel less powerful. In fact it will be and on the slugish side going up hill. Downshift. Don't press it. Neither will you get your best mileage until you put at least 2000 miles on it.

Your range will be approximately 400 miles in the higher elevations (above 5000 feet) depending on how you drive. Try to fill up, top off, often rather than assuming you can find a gas station when the tank is low. Not as many refueling places on those routes in the West.

maltb: LOL! Okay. Been there, done that.

fowler3
    Driving over the mountains in the West, I would down-shift going downhill, also, to save the brakes especially with all-wheel dics. Let lower gears and compression slow the car downhill.

The manual says what we are telling you. "Drive moderately for the first 600 miles. No fast starts and no hard braking. Vary the speed." But in your case it would be wise to extend that to 1000 miles.

So check your maps and set a day's driving that will be easy on the car and still get you to places you want to site see.

fowler3
    dkozik: Considering you are use to California weather; it might be a good idea for you to carry a "survival kit" on your X-country trip. It gets very cold in the higher elevations and north-cental states.

Pack a sleeping bag, bottled water, and peanutbutter crackers (any food that does not require refrigeration). Carry a heavy jacket and gloves. And a good flashlight. Wal-Mart is now selling those aluminum flashlights that focus, with D-batteries, at a good price. Would be good for all drivers to carry one of those.

And if you tell us your route(s) before leaving, maybe some of us will be near enough to them to provide assistence, if needed.

fowler3
    Thanks again for the advice. Hey, I'm living in California, but I'm not *from* California! Born and bred Chicagoan for most of my life, then Washington for another big chunk. I took a job out here in 2000 just to enjoy the beach for a while. I'm done with that, Uncle Sam wants me back in Washington, so off I go. But your cold-weather tips are right on the money; I've seen lots of people get stuck in bad weather before (including me-- last January, I got caught in a snowstorm in *Nevada*, coming back from Vegas to L.A. All my years of snow, I had never seen a flash snowstorm before).

Anyways, again, thanks for the tips!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    This includes spare fuses and bulbs, tire pump, distilled water (for you and your Pro) flares and whatever else you can think of.

I carry a set of metric sockets and driver, wheel chocks, jumper kit, flashlight, emergency blankets, bulbs, fuses, gloves, terry cloths, fire extinguisher. I bring oil and water on long trips, just in case.
  • groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    Uhh....your whining about $15??!?!? Try going to any other car show for that much, you'll find that NONE are that cheap.

All of the Hot Import Nights shows are $19-23 to get in and ALWAYS suck. This MIR event will be much better than them. The next big event that I can think of after this is on May 3rd in Carlisle, PA. The entrance fee for that is like $20 per day (its 3 days long).
    I said I had nothing to compare the price with though. I have gone to the International Auto Shows, where it's like $8 to get in and they have sucked for the past couple years.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    Of course, this suggests the possibility of getting rid of them sooner, since everyone seems to hate them.

Car Talk has a Web site at cartalk.cars.com, which presumably somewhere lists all the stations (it's an NPR show) that carry it.
  • r_scott_gr_scott_g Member Posts: 16
    My rims cost 40.00 at walmart. But they ended up being 35 because they put them on sale after I bought them. They just credited my credit card.

When I first looked for steel rims, Mazda quoted over $100, used ones from insurance salvage $75, and most other places were 45 to 48. At $110 dollars a tire for Nokian Q's, I felt I needed to buy the rims at Walmart and save some money.

I just put studded tires on our 86 camry, but I decided not to spring for the extra rims. But if the car keeps running for a few years, I might be sorry I didn't buy the extra rims.
  • black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    test drove a 2002 Mercedes C230 coupe today. Nice. A little pricey but it felt solid as a rock.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Here's something humourous that involves a Mazda Protege:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=140178

LOL!

That was hugely funny! Ummm...please don't think all Canadians drive like this!!! LOL :)