Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Got the baby.

;-)

Meade
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Taking my car in later today to a nice local garage for a winter pre-road-trip checkup. They check fluids, wiper blades, brakes, starting system and a few other things.

I'm curious if anynoe has any suggestions for what else I should ask them to look at. I know I'll have them change out my front brake pads. I have the front disc, rear rum combo - should I change the rears too? Have had the car almost 20 months, never had it done yet, but the car stops fine - don't the front drums do most of the work?

FWIW, my road trip is giong to be well over 2K miles!

I've had my oil changed (last week) and the coolant flushed and refilled (less than 3-4 months ago).

Suggestions (soon) would be appreciated :-)
    I'd have them look at the rear drums, but they'll probably go more than 50,000 miles before needing replacement as long as you're not a stomper. Good thing to check, though, just in case. (The rear shoes on my 1994 B2300 pickup went 90,000 miles.)

How many miles are on your car? I've had mine since May 2000 and I'm at 29K now, so I'm real close to that all-important 30,000-mile service interval. You may just want to go ahead and have that done if you're close to it. (Your Mazda dealer can give you a sheet showing what they'll do at the 30,000 mile service, and then you can just take that sheet to your private mechanic -- he can do everything on it for usually MUCH LESS than the dealership charges.)

Of course, check your tires -- inflation pressure and condition. You might want to get them rotated prior to your trip, if you haven't done it lately. And since winter's upon us, go ahead and REPLACE your wiper blades. Believe me, the $15 you'll spend will DEFINITELY be worth every penny if you're expecting to drive through rain or wintry stuff. And if you are expecting some of that, put an extra gallon of windshield washer fluid in your trunk. I also carry a set of emergency tire chains in my trunk here in Virginia. They strap on and have gotten me out of sticky situations several times.

At 20 months, you shouldn't have to worry about the condition of your battery -- but I always carry a set of jumper cables -- you never know!

BTW, you've got mine (and probably a lot of others') curiosity up -- where ya goin'?

Meade

P.S. (Added as an edit a few moments later) I'm a little confused. Your post says you've had the car 20 months but your profile says you own a 1995 Protege. So if the car is really six years old, then you definitely should get those rear drums looked at and have them check everything well. I was under the impression, from your post, that you had a 20-month-old car.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I was told recently that a good rule of thumb is 30K on front discs and 60K on the rear drums. At least it helps you kind of guess when you will need to set aside some maintenance money. I failed to mention this yet, but about a month ago my battery in my '99 ES died at 27K. Seemed pretty low mileage wise and it had me wondering if there was some other problem, but it turned out to be the battery. Mazda was nice enough to buy half of the replacement for me though.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Check your spare tire's pressure, too. Useless if too low just when you need it. Carry a good flashlight with you, try one of those Maglights or a lantern-style that you can place on the road at angles. Make sure your jack and wrench are in good condition. Carry a windshield scraper. I usually carry a roll of paper towels, service stations are always out of towles.

If there are Dollar Tree or Family Dollar stores where you live, go there to buy paper towels and window cleaner. Cheap for emergency use. $1.00 for 2 rolls, other items $1.00 each.

fowler3
    Before you know it, we'll be telling you to put blankets, kerosene heaters and air mattresses in your car too. And don't forget canned food (and a can opener) in case you're stranded. Flares are useful, as is a good shotgun in case you have to hunt for food or kill your passenger for food. Just remember you'll have to cook that food, so make sure you carry a good set of knives, a Coleman stove and some fuel. And some condiments -- I hate eating my passengers without tartar sauce and a lemon wedge. Oh, wait a minute -- that's how I eat my sharks.

Meade
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Now that is funny! By the time he gets done, he is going to have a whole buffet set up in the darn car, and a makeshift house too. :)

You should really carry some canned stuff though, just in case. And bottled water. Flares, a flashlight, a blanket, an ice scraper, and paper towels are good too. The rest of it's unnecessary I would assume. I never have been on a long road trip before though, not 2000 miles anyway.

Here's another thought: Since the winter months are coming and weather is getting kinda bad, why not have the Protege shipped? It would probably be like $800 or so though. Just a thought.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    Based upon experience from this past week, I would make sure I have a roll of quarters or a strong vacuum to clean up the mess that is sure to occur over 2k miles! Oh, and how about a tall kitchen trash can for all that junk food packaging you will be accumulating.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    i think...
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Sounds official...

Check the following link today:

http://www.veh-tech.net/pages/DailyNews/TodayStory.html

This is the same source (veh-tech.net) that discussed a higher-power protege awhile back.

Re: an earlier post - from Meade? - no, they best not price such a car in the Passat range, but there is room to play above current ES (invoice!)

pricing.

Now if they stuck that turbo in the mp5...yow.

• bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    It only seemed to work from Internet Explorer.
    I don't know why.
    didn't work using Netscape Navigator. Oh well, I'm not interested in trading anyhow. =P

Meade will have your Protegé being towed by a U-Haul truck just to carry emergency supplies. Keep it simple: a jar of soft peanutbutter and a few cans of sprite are all you need to survive 24 hours. Peanutbutter has the nurishment you need. It's a multi-purpose food.
    A luxury with Ritz crackers. ;)

We haven't chatted for two weeks -- tonight's the night! Hope to see you there!

fowler3
    For the curious (and the forgetful!), I'm leaving for Northern Virginia. Will get in touch individually with the people in the area I got email addresses from :-)

I don't want to ship it because I WANT to drive cross country! I did consider shipping it, but initially planned to have left by October - and decided I wanted to do the road trip! And now that its December, I am set on that road trip - so I'll be careful. Helps a bit though, that my 95 DX has the thin 13 inch wheels and tires that are quite narrow (175/70) - great for driving through slight amounts of snow.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I had them do their standard winter checkup plus a few other things - they recommended accessory belt replacement and front brake pads too. Did that (under 200 total). They also discovered my rear defogging switch has a loose connection - over 150 with parts and labour, and they ddin't have the part. Will prolly have to get that done before I leave too! Although the rear window doesn't fog up when I turn on the AC with the temp on high, I imagine I'll need it to melt snow if the car is snowed in! Or am I expecting too much snow - I am after all, used to UT winters!
    (considering I can hold of on that switch and replace it myself by opening the dashboard covers when I arrive at VA and have a free weekend!)

As an aside, I've had my 60K service done at the local Mazda dealership at about 62K miles (I'm at 68.5K now, over 71 by the time I get there!) - no other garage was cheap enough to justify missing out on the 12/12K Mazda warranty on all the repairs! And the 10% discount coupon I landed up with saved my a bundle too :-) I'm almost sad to leave the Mountain West for the big bad East - the dealership took my car in over a weekend and gave me a loaner 2000 Protege LX from their Hertz location while they did my 60K service, and I didn't even buy my car (used) from them! I doubt I can expect such levels of service from the MD-area dealers! (?)

And I will carry peanut butter and a few other goodies along, thanks! Although more junk food is the last thing I need now, God knows I've been gorging on enough of that stuff the last few weeks while trying to graduate!

Have to still pack and ship my stuff though, and convince UPS or Fedex to hold it until I get there, find housing and can pick it up :-). Just curious, are there a lot of UHaul-type storage places in that (DC/NoVA) part of the world?

I'll make a trip report (from the perspective of how my 'ancient' Protege handled it) in about two weeks, I leave next week!
    Is there such a thing - from AAA perhaps?

I am already a AAA member, I imagine they have some sort of trip interruption thingie, I'll check. But what about accidents/theft (of car or belongings etc.)? Any way to cover oneself against those? Or other eventualities?
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I'm sure AAA has trip interruption ins. I let my membership lapse since I've got coverage for 36/50K
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Where are you driving from and to on your trip? Going past Chicago?

Let me know if you are...if you stop by...I'll buy your lunch!

Regards,

Pete
    Hey, thanks for the offer!

I'm actually going to be taking I-70 most of the way east, with no 'major' detours. Would have loved to join you for lunch if I were passing through Chi-land, though!

Any kind people between Utah and Virginia that frequent this board? ;^) Denver, Pittsburgh and St Louis seem to be the only big towns along my route!

I remember you made a long move/road trip yourself last year, from the South up to Chicago - how was it? Any tips/insights? The furthest I've driven before is about 500 miles :-)
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    on the tranny squeak? I really hate to have to take the car to the dealer.
    I don't know how you plan to spend the last 100 miles of your journey, but I live in Richmond! And I have a brother who lives in Northern Virginia -- Herndon to be exact. So dammit, let me know the route you'll be taking once you get into Virginia. I'll drive a few miles to buy you lunch too! Hey -- do this right and you won't have to pay for ANYTHING on your trip across the country, LOL!

(I'm envisioning something like Tom Hanks' cross-country run in "Forrest Gump" -- every town you pass through, there'll be a bunch of Proteges lined up along Main Street with headlights flashing, horns blowing and owners cheering you on ...)

Larry and Paul (and other MAPP II folks), how about a special welcome for Ashu? Give us your schedule and we can plan a Mid-Atlantic Contingent Welcoming Ceremony for our West-Coast Compatriot! We can plan MAPP III -- The Holiday Party and Ashu's Cannonball Run Finish Line at a rest stop along I-66! At the very least, we need to make this Ambassador an honorary Mid-Atlantic member!

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Helped by friend move west last year, we drove a 24' moving truck towing his old sunfire ragtop, from Pittsburgh to San Fran. Quite a trip we had, made a slight detour to go see Mount Rushmore. Beef Jerky sustained us for most of our longer legs, including a 14 hour, 758 mile beast from Rapid City, SD to Salt Lake City, UT. Don't know how we survived that one.
    The biggest tip I've got for a trip like that is make sure you keep you gas tank full, never know when a staition in the middle of nowhere has run out of gas....
    Stop through Pittsburgh and catch a Steeler game!, the big Ketchup Bottle (Heinz Field) will be rocking the next couple of Sundays.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I-70 cuts across the middle of OH. I don't know if you want to stop by West Chester (just north of the I-275 beltway around Cincinnati), but I'll treat you to a meal if you stop by.

Driving cross-country can be a treat, although there are some really long, flat parts in the middle. You'll want a lot of lively music for these parts. I drove from Palo Alto, CA to Cincinnati, OH right after college. Wish I'd padded the travel time with a few days to see the sights, but enjoyable still.
    Your best bet is AAA. Go to the local office and ask them to help you plan your trip. They offer this service to members. They know the best places to stop for the night. Ask AAA for a list of radio stations along the route that give weather reports.

Plan your trip the way a private pilot would making a cross country: Set your course, check the weather, determine refueling stops in advance, file a flight plan (see #7 below).

(1) Set your driving schedule, on the map, and stick to it. Add one extra day to your schedule (driving time) so you can stop if you want to see something or have a problem.
    (2) Mark rest stops near towns where you can get meals and refuel.
    (3) Don't let your tank get below half full, well not much below.
    (4) Drive for no more than nine or ten hours, then look for a place to stay overnight. Don't drive at night.
    (5) Stop early and get a good night's rest so you will be fresh for the next day's driving.
    (6) Have telephone numbers for people you can call along the way if you need assistence.
    (7) Leave your starting time, driving routes, and destination/arrival estimate time with somebody in Utah or in DC. Call that person on arrival to let them know you made it. You might call enroute, too.

Other tips: On long drives you get tired sitting in one position, change your seat to vary it. Push back one knotch or change the rake of the back. It helps. Stopping for the night take your valuable stuff in the room with you. Don't leave CD's/Tapes in your car. Put other items in your tunk. Park your car in a well-illuminated place. If you feel you need a nap, stop at a service station, NOT an Interstate rest area, it's safer.

Hope you have a fun and safe trip, Ashu.

fowler3
    You mean I am actually invited to MAPP III???
    Are you shipping your computer? I would pack the monitor and CPU in boxes with foam padding and carry them in my car trunk. Safer and you will have it when you arrive. Shipping may damage it and in storage the dampness may ruin it.

fowler3
    ... by the great tips and the (advance) hospitality and kindness :-)

Lets plan on having a MAPP-like get together somewhat down the line (a few weeks later), though! Since I'm taking my time leaving from here, I actually will have only a day's buffer between when I get there and start work in the DC-area! I'll send along contact info to your (and others') email addresses, Meade - we should definitely meet sometime after I get settled in! I won't be too far from the Herndon area - have to find a place in the vicinity! This makes more sense because I *might* take a detour and drive to VA via NJ/NY - my companion for the trip, my cuz, wants me to!

Chow-chi (mazdafun), my current driving schedule (yes James (fowler3), I agree totally with you - I have the route and times fully pre-determined!) has me passing through the Cincinnati section of I-70 quite early in the morning, and as part of a pretty long leg, but thanks much, all the same! If that's fine with you, I'd appreciate having your phone number (someone I kinda know in the area, in case of a major problem or if I need repair shop advice or something - God forbid - makes sense!). My email address is tishoo@hotmail.com.

I'm glad I installed a CD-changer in my car, and I plan to find out (in advance) the frequencies for cool radio stations (and NPR) along my route :-) Not planning on doing any night driving either, and planning 9-12 hour days on average.

The good news is that my cousin has agreed to accompany me from Denver onwards, because he wasn't planning to visit our folks for Christmas - and a drive down (at my expense - LOL) is the perfect short break from work for him now! So I can actually do extra or less miles on some days, knowing there are two drivers!

Thanks again, everyone - and I look forward to being a part of the Mid-Atlantic group of Protege fans soon! And being the old geezer (at least in terms of car age!) of the group! 71.5K by the time I get there, and a 100 mile daily round-trip commute for a few days until I find accommodation in the area! I shudder to think of the belt-way during rush-hour (Aaargh!)
    Ashu ... Lookin' forward to it. I think you'll find the Mid-Atlantic group to be very friendly folks. We sure have had fun at our couple of meets. So we'll get in touch after you get settled over on this side of the continent. ;-)

Paul ... Funny you should mention that. Your current vehicle choice actually crossed my mind right before I hit "Post My Message" on that post. I thought, "Should I say something tongue-in-cheek to Paul about not being a member anymore, or shouldn't I?" Then I thought about the spankings I've received from Pat of late, and thought I'd better play nice.

I guess we can include you since you're still a Protege fan. You'll come to your senses and purchase another Protege as soon as that Jetta starts nickling-and-diming you to death -- say next month or so.

:-)

BTW, the wife has accepted a new job with the county here -- and needs to provide her own transportation (she'll be reimbursed nicely for mileage). Since it's easier to buy a new car when you've had a job for a while, it looks like we'll be putting that new Protege5 in the driveway in the next three weeks!!!! I'm excited about the car, but crying at the same time about going into debt again, dammit!

But even so, now I can join Larry's "two Protege family" club. It's an elite group, folks -- and really proves how much we like our Proteges!

Meade
    Actually, we might be getting another Protege on top of what I have already (I am not going to say it, at risk of being "smacked"). :) My dad is getting his license, and it would be better to get a used Protege than a new car. Their warranty is long enough that it would still be covered, and I can't find anything comfortable and roomy enough for me to drive (I will drive it sometimes). He also liked my Proteges when I had them (my mother especially loved to ZOOM in the DX, she never got to drive the ES because she passed on before I got it). Anyway, so I might be back "home" again sooner than I thought.

And I don't plan to ever go back from a Jetta to a Protege. Sorry guys, I enjoy the car too much. :)
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    I have a twice-yearly long trip between Chicago and southern New Mexico that comes out to about 1500 miles. I break it up into two 750 mile drives which is about 12 hour days depending on how fast you drive and how long you spend stopped for gas, bathroom, and food. My advice is not to drive two 750 mile, 12 hour days by yourself :) I did that once. It sucks. A lot. Much better to have that extra driver so you can switch off, even if only to fidget and stare out the window on the passengers side (because you can't really do either while driving). Plan on where you're going to stop at the end of the day, and stick to it. If you get tired, stop and rest. They say a tired driver is just as bad as a drunk one. Bring some emergency supplies and a cell phone, if you have one. Gas up before you get down to a quarter tank - in some rural areas it's not uncommon to have 75-100 miles between towns or stops along the interstate. Bring some music, munchies, and other distractions to help pass the time. If you have the time, try to schedule in at least one fun activitiy and one good meal each day. Stop by the time it gets dark, take a hot shower, and get a good night's sleep. Don't get too late a start on the next day's drive.

Meade: My family is a 4-Mazda family though admittedly we only have one Protege (my Pro5). The dealership said if we got them a picture of each of us standing next to our cars, they'd put it on their web page. Guess it'll have to wait until summer though, as that's the next time my Pro5 will be home.
    "Never going back." "Love the car too much."

I'm hearing vocus echoes in here. Paul, check out post 543:

vocus Feb 24, 2001 9:50pm

... and your post 930:

vocus Mar 17, 2001 3:05pm

Now, don't get all mad at me. I haven't interjected ANY personal commentary here. I've just provided links to two of Paul's own statements.

Meade
    Our upcoming Pro5 will be the FIFTH Mazda I've bought from the same dealership since September 1991. I think I oughta get some kind of special recognition for that too! (Actually, I am -- my salesman, Buddy Hiatt, from whom I purchased my most recent car, the 2000 ES, has already offered to chop about $800 off of invoice -- and we haven't even started dealing yet!)

Meade
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Well everyone beat me to the advise...

1. 2nd driver is your best bet. Glad to hear you got one!

2. Sunflower seeds. Yep. The salt in them keeps you from having to hit every bathroom along the way.

3. Keep the car gassed up. My Pro went through 1/2-3/4 a tank in 3-4 hours depending on terrain, speed, wind, etc...and it's a good point to stretch your legs.

4. Food...bring some of your own, but not too much. You'll want it along the way, but you also need to stop and eat a real meal once in a while. (I personally like Cracker Barrel)

5. Don't rely on a radar detector to let you speed. In my experience, 5-10 over will usually not get you pulled over by the police, and the little bit of time you make going faster than that is not worth the risk.

6. Pack your car smart. Expensive items in the trunk, don't overload the car, and spread the weight evenly.

7. When you get a hotel for the night, try to get the kind where you can park right outside your hotel room door in a well lit spot. Take expensive items inside the room, turn your front wheels to full left or right and lock the steering wheel there.

8. Check your tire pressures with cold tires, including your spare. Check oil each morning.

9. Enjoy the trip!

Sorry to hear you won't be in the neighborhood of Chi-town. Lots of festive lights and decorations all over the place already!!

Good luck and God bless,

Regards,

Pete
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Glad to see another NPR junkie on here. According to NPR: "NPR stations are always found between 88 and 91 on the FM dial." I have found this to be true 99% of the time and it takes a few moments to find them when I travel.
    DON'T STAY AT AN ECONO LODGE!!!

(Inside joke ... I think Larry, Jason and several other MAPP II attendees will agree.)

Meade
    Talk about words from the past haunting you... :)
    Oh well. The past is the past. You are a charter member of MAPP, so you'll always be invited to the functions.

Have a good weekend, everyone -- I'm outta here!

Meade
    Isn't that sweet? I feel touched now.. :)
    You ARE touched ...

MD
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    In 7 days me and 2 buddies saw Chicago, Cleveland, New York City (new years 99'), Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Boston, Atlantic City, Washington DC, and Pittsburgh. Man, you guys are wusses. On the first leg of the trip, we drove straight to New York from Minneapolis with short stops in Chicago and Cleveland *without* stopping to sleep. On the way back, we drove through a blizzard in Indiana and Illinois at 4 in the morning. The whole trip cost me $450.

By the way, I am an Econolodge veteran. I've stayed in Econolodges in Carlstadt, Elizabeth, and Mt. Laurel, NJ. The one in Carlstadt had stray cats and tons of garbage in the parking lot as well as a healthy dose of aircraft noise from Kennedy, La Guardia, and Newark airports. The place would shake everytime an airplane flew over and the room smelled like a mixture of spent diesel fuel, raw sewage, and must....but it was only $60 a night and Manhatten was only a mile or two away.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    The band from 88.1 to 91.9 MHz is reserved (in the US, anyway) for noncommercial broadcasting.

Should any of you be wandering through Oklahoma City, though (I-35, 40 and 44 all come through here), you'll have to slide all the way over to 105.7 (and if you're heading for Dallas, continue to 106.3).
    Take expensive items inside the room, turn your front wheels to full left or right and lock the steering wheel there.

Would jacking it up and taking one rear wheel in the room prevent theft? LOL just kidding ;)

fowler3
    Before you leave, on somebody's computer, check the URL below for the weather forcast for the states you will be driving through. Click the color map bottom center, -->click the state -->click State Forcast.

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsversion/bigmain.html

So far, it looks good up to Tuesday with temperatures in the 50's and 60's in Colorado and Kansas.

fowler3

Sheesh! You can stay at a Best Western for that. Also try Ramada. If you see a Tourist Information office near a city and off the Intestate, stop in and ask room rates. They can check for you.

fowler3
    The Protegé photo at the top of the boards and the switchback road...looks just like the roller coaster highway I drove over Wednesday, all curves and hills and mountain passes for 60 miles.

fowler3
    When you drive across the plains and praries and see in the distance a mountain that looks an hour away...it's really three hours away. No kidding. That's why we are saying do not let your fuel get down to a quarter of a tank, if possible. That's big sky country and I have driven towards mountains all morning and never reached them before the road turned one way or another.

fowler3
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    There aren't that many cheap places to stay in that area. $60 is *cheap* for being about a mile and a half from manhatten.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Can you stand one more trip tip?

For long hauls, make sure you shift position of your legs occasionally (especially your left, since it's not working the pedals).

After my one short (250 miles) road trip of a couple of months ago, I developed a blood clot in my left leg. Doctors asked if I had been on any long airplane rides or drives within the last month. Spoke with a co-worker whose husband is a truck driver; he has to take blood thinners for the rest of his life because of problems with clots.

I'm guessing that you're younger than me and that this might not be a consideration, but just thought I'd mention it. Get out every once in a while to walk around, and/or flex your feet back and forth from time to time.

Happy zooming!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    (in case you didn't know, blood clots in 'deep' veins can be serious, leading to stroke or heart attack; that's why I mentioned it)
  • reaglereagle Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone, just got my 02 Protege ES with Perimeter Alarm. The car is awsome,but for some reason the dealer did not have any manuals for the alarm . It's not even mentioned in the user manual. Does anyone have any info on it? I don't even know what it has, what triggers it etc.. I know I can use the key fob to arm and disarm it, but that's not really enough for everyday use. What if the battery in the fob goes down and I am left with a car that refuses to start even though I have the key? Shouldn't the dealer give me some kind of code to silent it if I loose/break the fob? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Igor
    To the Mazda Protegé room! We hope you enjoy your new ride as much as we are enjoying ours.

A perimeter alarm sounds a horn (not your car's horn, one that comes with the alarm) when anyone tries to get into your car. It's a motion detector, if they make the car rock slightly it will set-off the alarm, such as trying to force the door or breaking a window.

The battery in the key fob will last a long time and can be replaced. You also got two key fobs, right. Use the other one until you replace the battery in the first. If you lose it while out shopping your only recourse is to get a ride home to get the other remote key fob so you can get in your car.

A good reason for carrying your house key separately.

Some perimeter alarms protect from forced entry only. Others prevent the engine from starting even when hot-wired. Check the manual to see which type you have. Mazda also sells an engine disable system separate from the perimeter alarm. I think you have the first type -- the engine can be started IF you can get into the car without setting off the alarm, if you have another key.

I had a perimeter alarm on a previous car -- hated it! I was always setting it off, forgetting to turn it off when I returned to the car. Especially when in a hurry.

Of the two types of security systems, the engine disable type is best. Your insurance company offers a discount if you have that option -- your car can not be stolen. Car thieves have been known to drive off in cars with perimeter alarm horns blowing.

Some cars now come with the disable feature standard. The Honda Accords have it and the eginition key is dedicated to each car, that is, the key has a computer chip in the black rubber part which has a code that has to match the one on the car's onboard computer or the car won't start. Mazda keys have black plastic, no chip.

fowler3
    I never thought about clots, but that's a great tip. On the day-trip I made Wednesay, the reason I was gone 14 hours (10 hours driving) was due to frequent stops. I stopped three times in the first four hours and four times on the return five hour trip. It took longer but was a very enjoyable trip and I wasn't tired when I got home. All the stops were for breakfast, refreshments, restrooms, and dinner.

fowler3