Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• reaglereagle Member Posts: 15
    The real question I have is nothing in the manual even mentions alarm system, and my dealer says there is no separate one either. So I was wodering if other people got anything with their Protege describing operation of the system.
    I kinda figured most of it- it's got a Code Alarm infrared shock sensor and starter disabler, but it would be nice to know details of operation as well as wether I need to go yell at the dealer until I get a manual :)
    I found for example that if you unlock the car, open the trunk, close it but not get in the car fast enough it arms itself again. This is the kind of things I think should be really outlined on the paper somewhere...
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Sounds like you did your trip the right way, even though it took you a little longer. I made the mistake of driving 4-5 hours at a time with only one brief gas/bathroom break. Should have stopped more often...next time I'll know better.

I should probably also mention that at the time, I was on meds that might have increased the likelihood of developing a clot (not taking that anymore!); still, good idea for anyone to keep in mind. Thought I'd bring it up here because as I said, it can be serious--in fact, they hospitalized me overnight until they determined mine was superficial and not life-threatening.

Reagle:
    Harass your dealer into giving you a manual or something...I'm surprised they didn't take you through those procedures at delivery. When Mazda does their follow-up customer satisfaction survey with you, that's something they'll ask you about...dealers don't like to get low marks on those surveys.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    This was something at the back of my mind, as I'd heard about it before too.

I do plan to stop often - perhaps every 100-150 miles. I'd rather get out of the car and look around sometimes, than see the scenery whizzing by at 70+mph all the time!

On a related note, at least there's no risk of getting a blood clot in my righ leg - no cruise control :-) That's why I want a manual transmission in the next car I buy, both legs in (relatiely) constant use!
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Call Mazda's Customer Service 800 number, on Monday, and ask them about an instruction manual, and also tell them your dealer didn't supply one nor a walk-through demonstration at delivery.

Your best bet is to disarm it (turn it off compeletly) first, then open the trunk and the door.

fowler3
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    If you can only turn off the perimeter alarm with the remote yet you can only open the trunk with the key or the release lever on the floor, what sense does that make? I always hated that there was no keyless entry trunk release on my 2001 Protege when I had it. They should add that, as well as a valet key to the car. It would make things easier. Never understood why the back seats, glovebox, and trunk release locked when there was no valet key. Totally useless.
  • roger57roger57 Member Posts: 5
    Bought a new 2002 Protege ES last March and have about 7,000 miles. Just noticed a problem with the shifting the other day.

Hard to shift between gears without jerkiness. Won't stop until car warms up.

Btw, I've had sticks for years and know how to coordinate between clutch release and gas pedal, but never had this problem until now.

Any ideas?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Some transmissions shift smoother when they are warmed up. Maybe that's the problem with it. If it persists, you might want to take it to the dealer and let them drive it when cold. But I personally think it's just a warming up issue.

I notice the engine in my 2001 Protege ES used to run smoother when it was warm. and the automatic used to shift smoother too. So it's probably the same with your transmission.

Also, you shouldn't rev the car above about 3000 or so rpm until the engine warms up. It's not good for the motor.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I am assuming you mean 2001 if you bought it last march. Anyway, that is the way the Protege shifts when its cold. I've had 5 manual transmission cars and all of them shifted hard when they are cold including two hondas. I put synthetic gear oil in my 2001 ES's transmission and it seems to shift a little bit smoother.
    Anyone know if I will need to use different lug nuts when I put on my steel wheels with snow tires? I have the 16' alloys on right now and I was wondering if the lug nuts for the alloys have a different taper than lug nuts for steel wheels.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I got my wheels and tires from tire rack for my '01 ES. The enclosed paperwork stated that if different lug nuts were required they'd be included. Obviously this isn't much help if you didn't get yours there. My oem nuts fit the 15" wheels fine.
    Thanks. I ordered mine from the tire rack too. Do you already have your winter tires on? You have 15' steel wheels right?
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I bought a set of 15" steel wheels with 195/55-15 Arctic Alpins to put on my P5 for th ewinter. I called TireRack to see if I could use my regular lugs and they said yes.

I haven't put mine on yet, but I don't expect any issues.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I had to use my temporary spare (on a steel wheel) the other day, and my stock alloy wheel lugs fit it fine.

Meade
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    Yes, 15" steel wheels, 195/55/15 Artic Alpins.
    I haven't had to buy snow tires since 1968 for the last rear wheel drive car I owned. Have been driving FWD since October 1973 starting with an Audi Fox.

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Well, my 2000 Mazda PRO-ES went in for plastic surgery this morning. The procedure is done with a local anesthesia and should take 2 days. Everyone, please keep my little beast in their hearts today. Hopefully, this is it's last visit to the collision center.

-Larry
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    The factory fog lights on the 01 ES are crummy. In fact, in my opnion, they are almost useless. I'm not sure if they are weak or the pattern is poor. They dont have the nice low diffuse pattern that lights up the side of the road like they should. They are not even as good as the ones on my wifes Outback. Anyone have any ideas on replacements?

I dont want flame throwers. Just fog lights that work better in the $200 range (w/o installation).
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You know Meade will not be happy that you aren't waving old glory.
    It's almost....! Because there is only 21 shopping days until....

-Larry
    yeah, you live down south, I hope you don't need snow tires.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Heard that it's better to have different ones for summer ans winter tires... Don't ask me why, try Bud Dry! Actually I prefer Coronna but then again you'll all jump on me saying it's a girlie beer and all... :)

Q: How did you change the country flag? I've been trying today and it doesn't do it. Any ideas (newcar, protegextwo???)
    To change your flag, login and click 'my profile.'

You'll have the option of editing it, and when you get to the country selection, they have a vast assortment from which to choose. When you are satisfied with your choice, click on 'submit' at the bottom of the window.

Boy, Meade is going to go crazy tomorrow morning :)
    never mind...I guess I don't know how to change the flag, either.
    I think it takes 24 hours to show up. When I did my profile the flag didn't show up until late the next day. Guess Edmunds has to unfold one and press it.

By the way, what do you think of the SegwayHT?

Think it will replace our Pros? The only problems I see with them: No snow tires; no rain cover; lightning rod on wheels during storms; no alloys; no spoiler. And how do you secure them while in stores or at the office? They weigh 65 to 85 pounds, you can't carry that into the office and put it under your desk.

fowler3
    Heard that it's better to have different ones for summer ans winter tires... Don't ask me why, try Bud Dry! Actually I prefer Coronna but then again you'll all jump on me saying it's a girlie beer and all... :)

Q: How did you change the country flag? I've been trying today and it doesn't do it. Any ideas (newcar, protegextwo???)
    I would think good fog lights could be bought and installed for $200, maybe less. Have you looked online? Do a search on google.com.

I always think of them as frog lights due to a late night drive on a narrow country road when I ran over hundreds of migrating frogs. Skidded all over the place almost plunging into a lake. Sure could have used some frog lights that night.

I'll check for you. There's a really good website that shows the light patterns of various models.

fowler3
    Funny...I just finished reading about that on-line.

Well, Fowler, I think in your climate, it might almost be feasible :)

But I agree...not very practical for most folks. Might appeal to all those goofy yuppies I saw on scooters last year, but not very good for moderate to longish commutes.

Kind of like having an expensive bicycle.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You have to log out, and then back in again to see the change. But the theory about the Town Hall having to unfold it and press it before you get to see it was a good one! ;-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    But now I can't remember which country I changed to...it's either Antarctica or Austria :)
    thanx for the tip pat. let's see if it worked.

chicagopro: why should meade be upset at me? i'm in canada so i wouldn't have the u.s. flag anyways. besides, i have a round decal on yellow background with "RO" written in navy blue and the european union starts surrounding it under the "mazda" metal plate on the trunk. so i would like to display the RO flag too.

NOTE: this is NOT meant to start a discussion what flags we should be supporting, etc. i LOVE canada AND i lived in romania until 1991, so i'll switch back and forth between the flags. now, let's return to our PRO discussion. besides, canada is more tolerant than the u.s. as it promotes "multiculturalism", sometimes a little too much, but i'll leave that discussion out of here.

Dinu
    it worked!
    POLL: what do u guys like to do when you're bored at work? like me right now...any good protege/car sites on the net you know of?
    Just pass your mouse arrow over any flag and you will know the country. :-}

Well, I personally spend a lot of time fixated on Britney Spears. ;-)

-Larry
    this board and some IM keep me plenty busy.
    Well, of course I lurk on the Protege board.

I read the Chicago Tribune online (and sometimes the New York Times, as well).

Sometimes go to CarTalk.com.

dinu: I was joking. I don't seriously think Meade will be mad at you, especially since--as you pointed out--you currently live in Canada. By the way, why are you so bored at work tonight? Don't you still have exams to study for? :)

Larry: thanks for the helpful tip. Boy, I'm learning all sorts of new things tonight.
    Fowler...

Missed your frog post this evening until just now...if you hadn't almost skidded into a lake, that whole story would be pretty funny. Now THERE'S something that makes me glad to live in the big city :)
    I hope not?

-Larry
    was any of that info usefull?
    I posted that e-mail from home, before I left for work. I'm at TGIF, now. However, it sounds like you got my e-mail. I wanted to be as discrete as possible, to respect your privacy. I can't wait to get home and check my e-mail. Thanks again my very good friend.

-Larry
    ChiTown Pro, you sound like a man of learning?

-Larry
    Well, right now my "little charger" is in day two of it's nose surgery repair job. I called the doctor (the adjuster) at Lancaster Toyota Mazda Collision Center and he said my "little fireball" will pull thru! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When my PRO gets home I'm gonna treat him to a coat of KLASSE All-in-One, followed by a top shot of Blitz Wax and I full interior detail. Boy, do I luv my Protege!

Kudos, to Maltb for the quick response to my e-mail. Nothing like having a physician on staff to help with 2nd opinions. Malty, your both helpful and kind. Thanks!

-Larry
    Sheesh. I wish.
    Good morning everyone. I enjoyed reading last night's little flag discussion. Boy, you guys need to get a life!

Pat, how 'bout offering state flags so the vast majority of Edmunds' users -- i.e. Americans -- can further identify their whereabouts? (Oh no -- then people might be able to TRACK US DOWN! God forbid!!!) BTW, I'm a little perturbed. Since I live in the Capital of the Confederacy (suh), I'd like a new choice of flag made available. Do I need to say which?

I had a wonderful, wonderful experience this morning. I pulled in to my neighborhood Exxon and filled up -- and I mean FILLED UP FROM GAS WARNING LIGHT TO "TOPPING OFF THE TANK" -- with $9.75! I didn't even break 10 bucks! 89 cents a gallon -- I can live with this!

Also was passed by a dark blue P5 this morning on the expressway. Schweet.

Now, you guys get a life. And stop worrying about me. I'm down by the beach with my tartar sauce and lemon wedge. (Although that lemon wedge's going in my Corona.) Larry, I'll keep my car's cousin in your prayers. And the check's in the mail. (I apologize ... things have been kinda tight in the past few weeks, but it's in the mail this morning.)

If you really want to see sensitivity in action, get Paul riled up about his car again.

Meade
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    $0.89/gallon gas! You must have an oil well in your yard. Regular is $1.23 today in Chicago. Damn monopoly oil companies.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    That has to be the most expensive place in the country to buy gas. I almost choked two summers ago when I had to pay like $2.30 for a gallon (I knew I should have filled up in Indiana!). It is below $.90 here in Atlanta, meaning more zoom zooming. Not so much speeding, but just keeping the car at higher rpm's than usual so I at least think my car is more powerful than it really is!

I'm with Meade on the state flags, but then again you know us Texans just can't help but flaunt our flag any chance we get. Really, it has to be one of the best looking flags in the states. Simple, yet classic. It is far better than the absolutely ridiculous new flag we have been burdened with in Georgia! In an effort to please everyone, the state created a mess of a flag.
    ... Just a price war in my town. And it ain't just here ... a co-worker surfing the net yesterday told me a place in Michigan had gas for 39 CENTS A GALLON yesterday!

Meade
    ... on the front page of www.auto.com today!

Meade
    Larry: Actually, I'm a WOMAN of learning (although I don't think that reading a couple of newspapers makes me that smart; if it did, I would have figured out how to be rich and retired a LONG time ago:). Hope your car pulls through well.

Chicago gas: last week in my neighborhood, I paid 1.39 for regular...haven't checked the price this week, but I'm sure it's not much lower.
    Don't really understand why Americans complain about gas prices (ChiTown very expensive comment at $1.23???). Of all the countries in the world, it's probably the least expensive place to fill up a tank of gas. Mind you the travel distances are fairly long, but it still does not make up for the b*tch*ng and complaining you guys do about gas prices. Same attitude here in Canada (people go nuts when gas hits $0.70/L), yet it's still so much cheaper than almost everywhere else on Earth. And it's also one of the reasons SUVs and MINIVANS exist. If gas was more expensive, say $1.00 or $1.25/L, you would probably see less V6s, V8s, and trucks (aka SUV's), and more 4-cyl powered mid-class sedans with manual trannies (Mazda 6) and small cars (Proteges).

My 2 pesos for today.
    Cheers!
    Dinu~