Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• totustuustotustuus Member Posts: 11
    Anybody ever read the 1996 Consumer Reports test of motor oil and change frequencies? Well, to make a long story short, they tested all kinds of motor oils in an accelerated test of 60,000 miles in identical NY city cabs. Bottom line-oil is essentially oil as long as its API and SAE rated. No notable difference in internal wear if you change every 3000 or 6000 miles. You can change more often, but its a waste of money. Here's the link if you want to check for yourselves.
    www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Not surprisingly, a lot of auto mechanics declared the results invalid, test conditions different from those in real life, etc.
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    I'm not sure what the Manual says in the US of A but here in Canada, eh, my Protege manual for the LX (equivalent to american ES) states that the oil should be changed every 8000 kms. That does not work out to 7500 miles that's for sure. I think it is about 5000 miles between oil changes, which sounds right. Must be a typo in the american manual. Maybe is special, doesn't need oil changes as often...just like some GM cars with 160 000 KM sprak plugs...just kidding. But what's up with that, GM produces the bigest pieces of [non-permissible content removed] on earth but puts these so called long life spark plugs. I think spark plug are the least of GM's worries. 160000km sprak plugs will outlive most GM engines!!!!
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I honestly was not offended by your post. I only explained and reinforced my passion for clean fresh oil in a newer vehicle and MY perception of the benefits.

-Larry
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    That was too funny about the plugs outlasting the engine. :)
  • zennishzennish Member Posts: 5
    Well I must agree about GM engines. A friend of mine had a grand AM that died at 80000 miles.To many Japanese cars, this is practically nothing.By the way I was looking at best buy's alarms and was not impressed with any of the brands they carry.I had an alarm installed years ago and the brand name was code-alarm and it worked like an angel.My protege has a great personality unlike the boring civics and many others.I now have 388 miles on it.
    I called their dumb butts today, and they told me they would have to deactivate the keyless entry system I already have, and I would have to get an alarm with keyless entry option on it. The standard keyless entry and the alarm are not compatible. Forget the alarm. I am over it!
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    The '01 Protege keyless-entry system is nice. Just double-press the lock or unlock button rapidly as you approach the vehicle and all signal lights flash twice with one (actually loud) horn blast!!! This would scare anyone away watching for target cars in a parking lot. Stick with an OEM alarm (i.e., if you need one) with this system... warranty will not be questioned.

Mudguards, like all Mazda accessories can be purchased at your local Mazda dealer. Bug the part's counter guy/gal for an "internet referral" discount and most will give you at least 10% off the retail price of any parts/accessories. Don't ever pay full retail for over-the-counter OEM parts from Mazda!!! Bring in competitor's Mazda flyers with discounts and most part's depts will match or beat that discount. I love to negotiate parts. Most all accessories can be installed painlessly by yourself -- again, ask part's guy/gal for instruction sheets. Don't give the dealer $30-60 and 2 hours of your time to have them install a trunk net or a set of mudguards!! :))) Zoooommm....Zooooommm... buy yourself a "nice" lunch and a pat on the back!!!

MARTIN
    The horn notification on my 01 ES is pretty loud when you lock the doors. Did you all with 01 ESs also know that if you unlock the doors using the remote but don't open any of them within 30 seconds, they lock themselves back automatically? Pretty cool, eh? :)

Just turned 400 miles this morning on the way to work and still loving EVERY minute of it! :)

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM
    Does everyone know that ALL 2001 Proteges (all states and engines) are Ultra-low Emission (ULEV) certified vehicles!! Not all small cars are in this "green" group. Only a small handful of other vehicles (i.e., Prius, and Sentra CA) are cleaner than the 2001 Proteges. So.... know when you buy a Protege, that you are buying a "green" vehicle. Moreover, many of the interior components are manufactured from recycled materials and are coded for recycling. I installed door speakers in my '95 ES and observed many of those PETE recycling symbols on the inside of the door paneling -- even the panels themselves (inside) showed recycled materials/particles. Happy Zoooomm...Zoooommm...

MARTIN
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    Has anyone noticed this:

If you look at the wires going to the back window defroster, one is bent the wrong way....anyone notice this?
    I never really looked at my rear defroster wires. I have to check when I get into the car today.

I just know that my black ES 2.0 is the most fun car I have ever driven! :) I called the Mazda dealer about the perimeter alarm, and he said there was no stock number for it. Also, breaking into cars isn't a problem around where I live, so I am going to save the money and not get the alarm. However, I was thinking about installing the mudguards because I hate the way the tires dirty the fenders and rear bumper. Do the mud guards stop that little problem or not?
  • borgf15borgf15 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info Martin!! Where would one get a hold of some of this ammo (parts flyers) to take into the parts dept?
    Borg
    I would like to formally retract my previous "complaint."
    My protege is driving wonderfully now; ....so either i got used to the suspension, it got softer, or there was never a prob in the first place!!
    :)
    Borg
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    after a lot of observation, I figured the source of the noise is the rear speaker panel. It is not damped with any cloth mat or rubber. This makes it pass the vibrations from the trunk to the passenger cabin.

So the question is:
    Where do I find a cloth mat that fits exactly on the rear speaker panel?

BTW, I also figure that this is the reason that the sound system sounds so great..the rear panel really resonates and amplifies the vibrations very well! :)
    The mudgaurds should help, but you may still get a little splashing and stone chips
    You can purchase DYNOMAT from www.crutchfield.com.
    It will get rid of the vibration noise.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    most good alarms come with the keyless entry anyways. unless you really are looking at the el Cheapos. I am looking to get a Viper 550ESP, it has the keyless entry and anti-carjacking features. I can get it for $200 not installed and hopefully I will get it soon.

and as someone else has posted... press the door lock twice and the horn sounds.. good "fake" way to make it look like you have an alarm.
  • zennishzennish Member Posts: 5
    I am over the alarms also.Although a friend of mine who works at a dealership told me that he may be able to get lo-jack installed at wholesale price.Hmmmm?I am going to have mud guards installed as well.
    Hey guys call DEI electronics and tell them that your alarm box was missing the stickers. They will mail you out like 10 stickers that you can put on your car even if you do not have a alarm. I do that with all the cars I have had. The person that looks at the sticker, will not know if you really have a alarm or not. They will send you the stickers for viper and sidewinder alarms for free.
  • alarisealarise Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had problems with the radio and cd player in the Protege? I have a 2000 LX with 25K on it and am now having to replace my radio/cd player for the 2nd time. All under warranty but its still annoying. The first time the radio quit but I could still play CDs but not change tracks. Had to stick it in and listen from beginning to end. Now, the radio works fine but it spits the CD out after playing about a minutes worth of music. This is bothersome since I have a 4 hour commute most days.
    Anybody having similar problems?
    Peace
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    My 1988 Ford Festiva, which was allegedly sold as a Mazda 121 overseas but never here under that nameplate, has 314,000 miles on the original engine and clutch. I change the oil every 7,500 miles and use 10W-30 from Wal-Mart. I can't speak to today's more sophisticated engines, but believe that the business of frequent oil changes is part propaganda from the oil companies. Engines are more sophisticated but so too are the lubricants. Not criticizing anyone for spending their own money...just be realistic about how long you intend to own your car. I never thought I'd own mine this long but it worked out anyway. Put the bucks for the extra oil changes toward the note.
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    The Synthetic Oil Forum here at Edmunds has a great deal of useful information on this topic.

An earlier post mentioned an Audi forum recommendation on no Synthetic for 10k. I believe this is true for German engines such as BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Porsche. These engines have much harder cylinder walls compared to a Mazda engine. Therefore requiring a longer seating process.

I also believe factory fill Corvette, and Porsche engines are broken in on a bench prior to installation.

I put Mobil 1 in my 00 ES at 3,500. The rings were seated by that point in that engine. She runs smoother, quieter, and is darn right happy.

Regards,
    Mark. :)
  • murrietamurrieta Member Posts: 10
    First, thanks to everyone for the solid information and advice on the "S" plan and pricing. It sure helps to arrive at a dealership with knowledge about what you are doing.

EAA membership ($40) can be activated over the internet in a few minutes. The following day via e-mail you get your membership number. With that number and a quickly activated pin you have all the information you need to qualify at the dealership for the special pricing. I happen to enjoy flying so the membership in the EAA is a nice bonus.

I visited our local Mazda dealer this morning. The "S" pricing is right on the invoice, so very easy to verify pricing. We decided on a Silver 2001 ES stick which the dealer did not have. I was surprised at this price level they were willing to and did locate the car we wanted. So Friday we pick up the car at the 1.5% under invoice price and also the $750 rebate. What an enjoyable experience at a dealership.

With the "S" and rebate the 2001 ES came to $988 more than a identical 2000 ES, so with the one year newer model, better engine, larger tires and rims, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc., the $988 seemed like a deal. We are looking forward to many years of enjoyable driving. We, like many of you, have done our homework looking at Civics, Corollas, etc., and making comparisons of driving quality, dollar value, etc., and I can't find a car that can compare to the ES for the money. The 50,000 mile warranty is nice, too. Your help in getting such great pricing only put icing on the cake.

Thanks again.

Walt
  • gweedogweedo Member Posts: 4
    Question:
    How hard is it to install a Spolier or the Sunroof visor on a Protege? I didn't get the options when I bought the car, but after seeing so many cars with these options, I drool. I want to make sure it is not going to be a pain in the butt before I shell out 400+.
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    I am looking for a set of OEM steel wheels from a 323 or protege. If you have upgraded to alloys and want to sell your steel wheels please e-mail me at buywheels@hotmail.com
    Congratulations. The dealer did not just sell you a car at 1.5% under invoice. It gets an extra bonus/kickback/reward from the manufacturer for selling a car under the S-Plan. I suspect a dealer can refuse to sell one under the Plan if, for example, he's selling every unit close to list. In that case, the extra from the manufacturer would not be enough to cover the difference.
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Drive went great..I've been in Chicago since Monday. I'll write up a "review" and post details here soon. MPG average for trip was an astounding 31.4 MPG (compared to my normal ZOOM influnced 25-27mpgs).

Talk to you all soon!

Regards,

Pete
    Now comes the hard part, unpacking!

-Larry
    Don't remind me! I almost scream every time I see a moving truck. I moved back at the end of January, and it was pure hell. I never wanna do it again! :)

Pete, glad you had a great trip and wish you the best of luck in your new surroundings.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Sounds like you earned a Zoom Zoom sticker. Let me know if you want it.
    I thought those stickers were only for 2001 ES owners? Just curious... And since I e-mailed you yesterday, can you send a pic of that ZOOM, ZOOM sticker back to that e-mail address? I am curious...

Thanks!
    Paul, I posted it on the other board and sorry to say, I deleted your e-mail address already. Go here and click on the Zoom Zoom pic.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/maltbarley?d&.flabel=fld9&.src=ph&start=1

Thanks for the pic! I had a neat little decal on the back of my last 1999 Protege. It was the "Protege" name in bubble-type letters. I had the letters in blue and the shadows of them in silver. It looked really nice too. Unfortunately, it was color-matched to the silver DX, and I couldn't remove it anyway. I need to contact the person I bought it from on EBay and get another one. We shall see though.
  • trudy12trudy12 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2.0 LX the day before yesterday. The engine sounded good when I test drove it but now at speeds below 30mph, the engine sounds like a lawnmower. It goes away at higher speeds and I can't hear it when the air is on (Probably why I missed it during the test drive) Any ideas or comments?
    Take it back to the dealer's service department and/or drive a different LX 2.0 to see if it sounds the same.
    I have a 2001 ES 2.0, and the engine is a little bit loud at lower rpm. I noticed it during the test drive, but it wasn't objectionable enough for me not to purchase the car. I had a 1999 1.6 Protege before this one, and it's noticeably louder than that one was.
  • trudy12trudy12 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks but I would like to know why it sounds that way. I don't think a brand new vehicle should sound like that. Is there something possibly wrong with the engine? I think I'm going to the dealer.
    It sounds that way because maybe there isn't enough insulation between the engine and the passenger compartment or something. Have the car insulated more if it's a problem.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    actually I think that might just be the characteristic of the engine, and how it's mounted. My 00 ES also gives off a low roar at around 1000-1500 rpm, but after around 2000 it fades out and become nice and quiet.

I'm kinda used to it already, and the roar doesn't sound too bad either, heavy and low :)

H
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    I'm sure the engine noise you hear is normal. The reason you probably don't hear the engine as much when cruising is becuase the engine is spining at the same speed. I find the engine is a little noisy when accelerating but like people said, it's probably becuase of the lack of sound deadening material. We aren't driving Lexus's here.

Now if you think this is noisy, try a Neon on for size!! *lol*
    Our 2001 ES 5-spd doesn't seem to be loud at all. In fact the only time I can even hear the engine is during acceleration. Like some of you others, we did our research and test drove corolla, civic, accord, sentra etc. The only car that we drove that seemed quieter was the camry.
    (of course Lexus is completely out of our price range)
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    Shouldn't be a surprise about the noise. You drove it first, didn't you? I don't think they get any quiter with miles. But you can waste your money and put synthetic oil it if you want.
    Nice link! Good insite into Mazda's short term marketing plans, and no mention of Ford! BTW, the wagon sounds like a keeper.

-Larry
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I just downloaded the zoom zoom zoom song(using what else, Napster of course), and uh, the extended version doesn't really make me wanna zoom zoom, it's like a Caribbean-style mellow tune.

go download it and see if it'll make you go zoom zoom.
    I want to know how to find the Zoom Zoom song on Napster. Someone post a link if you can, or tell me please.

I just turned 600 miles today on my 2001 ES 2.0, and still loving every minute of it. Had it one week already, and don't see myself getting rid of it for a long, long time to come. Very fun to drive and comfortable as well. Cannot wait to break 1000 miles (probably next week sometime), so I can really start ZOOM ZOOMing! :)
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    well our car is too quiet. if I'm stopped and get out while leaving the car on, I almost always turn it over.. much to the wife's "enjoyment" and when we are on the road (even when we hit 100) it was super quiet. the only thing that's noisy are the tires.
    Does anyone know a good site/board to sell my old 1995 ES? I 'am having a hard time trying to get bites off Autoweb.com and Recycler.com sites. Does ProtegeTech have a classified board? Doesn't anybody appreciate good Mazda used cars? Argggggg.... I sold my old 1988 323 in 1 week with a local newspaper ad. I thought the web is now better! Any thoughts/help please.

My 2001 ES runs and sounds quite well... the engine "roar" is normal at acceleration and provides good feedback to the driver... IMO, the Honda Civic engine sounds like it struggles to accelerate up to highway speeds -- engines should tell you they're working....so don't worry :)

MARTIN
    Martin,
    Did you wait for it to come out in the recycler print edition? The last time I used recycler.com, I didn't get many calls until it came out in their paper. If not there, the OC Register seems to work fairly well, especially for clean cars.