Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    We Americans may enjoy relatively low gasoline prices compared to SOME other countries, but we're far, far, far from lowest. Here's a listing of high and low prices (based on US $) I found with a quick Internet search (done in September 2000):

Global Gas Prices*
    Most expensive per gallon:
    (1 gallon=3.8 L)

Hong Kong - $5.38
    London, England - $5.05
    Oslo, Norway - $4.54
    Seoul, South Korea - $4.52
    Paris, France - $4.28

Least expensive per gallon:

Caracas, Venezuela - $0.40
    Jakarta, Indonesia - $0.45
    Kuwait City, Kuwait - $0.76
    Manama, Bahrain - $0.82
    Abu Dhabi, UAE - $0.92

*prices as of September 2000

Meade
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Ok, let's not go that far at the extremes b/c it's unreasonable. But why complain for paying $1.70 US for 1 gallon? It's really NOT expensive at all! Even $2/gallon is acceptable. A little to much no doubt, but still acceptable...Comes to about $0.78CAD/L. I can live with that.
    ... until you kept going. So here's my logic. We have all the reason in the world to gripe about gas prices because it's a RELATIVE issue.

If I'm used to paying $1.25 a gallon and suddenly it's $1.70, yes, I'm griping. And I have every reason to. Same as if you're used to paying $3.00 and suddenly it's $4.00.

I don't think it's the actual PRICE that upsets people. It's the FLUCTUATION ... back in '98 our gas prices dropped to about 95 cents a gallon. In a year's time they were back up to $1.30 or so. Last spring they hit $1.70. Now they're 89 cents. Up, down, up, down. Yeah, we complain when they go up. But give us a little credit ... we've been praising the heck out of our gas prices lately!

Meade
    Even though the oil companies operate in a collusive industry, gas prices are more or less determined by what some oil magnate feels like today in the Persian Gulf (or Golf??) region. Yes there are market forces at work, but bottom line is how much pressure the US puts on oil producers to keep prices at acceptable levels (economic and political issues included).

Even though this goes against my argument (more or less), bottom line is, I believe, that we're pretty lucky not to be paying $1.50/L. And I think that's where the focus should be.

Fluctuation happens constantly (your gas tank empties and you fill it up, the latest upstart shoots up 200% on the first day as an IPO, while an established 150 years old company files for CH. 11).

So while it can be upsetting to see that you have to fork aver $5 more to fill-up your tank today compared to yesterday, let;s be thankful that we don't have to pay $20 more/fill-up.

How's this, Meade?

Dinu~
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Here's the URL for fog lights, at least one anyway.

http://www.piaa.com

Good site with many to choose from. Here's the direct link, scroll down to Protegé 00-01.

http://www.piaa.com/showlamps.php3

And if you want to see a good photo of an APC European tail light kit check this one.

http://www.autoaccessory.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=167880&cgmenbr=402&from=nav

I think they make the Pro look like a truck.

fowler3

• protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Dale, my bad.

-Larry
    Why does it seem like you're trying to convince me of something?

Yes, I understand the laws of supply and demand and how gas prices are set. Yes, I'm lucky that I'm not paying $1.50 a litre for gas. Yet I don't care what some other chap is paying in his country. (By the way, that chap also has access to a first-rate public transportation system that is nonexistent over here -- I know, I've used it -- and he also gets twice the annual leave I get. He also has state-funded health care. So who's really lucky?)

(And why do I see another off-topic debate starting here?)

Meade
    Why are you not speaking to me?

Meade
    But has anyone else noticed that we haven't had any posts on "Protege Problems" in two weeks?

I know, I know ... now that I've "knocked on wood," somebody's Protege's gonna explode tonight. Or Larry's gonna hit a ... ummm .... Larry, what HAVEN'T you hit lately?

Meade
    Ok. Ok. You did bring up some good points, so we'll leave it at that. You know my pt. of view and I know yours, so let's move on to an "on topic" well...topic. :)

No more complaining about you complaining about gas prices. (Don't you like the way I put things? - "on topic topic" and now this one).

Dinu
    That's why I thought it was odd that you started this debate with me. I was in fact BRAGGING about our LOW gas prices here in Richmond -- 89 cents this morning. It was somebody else who was complaining about their prices still being half a buck higher than mine. You won't find me complaining about gas prices right now!

Meade
    Yes Meade someone was complaining about gas prices and I was just waiting for someone to respond to why they are complaining about it. When you did, I guess the discussion just took-off from there, as you can tell. Nothing personal; my original question was why Americans (and to a certain degree Canadians too) complain about gas prices that are in reality nowhere near an alarming rate. ...And then the back and forth started. My bad.

Anyways, if any of you that think paying $1.50/gallon is expensive would like to enlighten me on why you feel this way, please do.

Otherwise, let's move on to a more interesting debate/question/request. Like PIAA fog lites: Had a pair installed in my old Civic: they were better than the car's original headlites (not joking at all). In town I drove with the low beam and foglites on, but not the headlites. Kinda like the Audi look for DRL (daytime running lights)>corner markers and fog lites on.

But as far as the Pro goes, it already came with fog lites, so personally I wouldn't change them, even though they're more for the show than for a driving purpose (I mean they aren't that brite after all).
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    Nice car. Wish I could get it, but it just wasn't that much nicer than my 99 ES w/leather to justify starting over again on payments. I sure did like the functionality of the hatchback though. Also, for some reason the engine seemed louder on this car than mine. Don't know if it was just this car or what. I did like the manual transmission in it a lot better than mine. It seemed much smoother and less notchy.

BTW, Meade, it looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer on those T4's. The shop called today and said they were not on their last shipment. He is going to try to find some more, but looks like it won't happen this week like I had hoped.
    A '99 ES with LEATHER? How'd you swing that?

OK on the Yokos. Well, you'll still beat me to 'em, so I look forward to your review. BTW, looks like we'll be buying a P5 in mid- to late-December, so I'll trade ya: You write the Yoko review and I'll review the P5.

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Don't worry...I've been called worse :)
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    I'm from Chicago, so I've seen the horrid prices the few times we've had to deal with gas approaching $3 a gallon. I also spent my freshman year of college in Indiana, so I saw gas prices get down to as low as 79 cents a gallon. Currently in southern New Mexico, the name brand stations are at about $1.05 while the cheapies are already down to 95 cents. Not too shabby. The thing that bothers me about gas prices is the relative changes. $2 or $3 a gallon is not all THAT awful to pay except that you have no choice but to pay it. You can't buy a substitute product, and there's likely not another way to get where you're going. I think it sucks when you can pay twice as much for a gallon of gas within a calendar year (and I have no doubt that the 90 cents a gallon we're seeing now will hit $1.80 or more within a year). That's the ridiculous part. Also, all you Chicago folks can likely blame taxes for gas prices higher than elsewhere in the country. You're likely paying state, county, city, and maybe even extra luxury taxes on your gas and it easily adds up to a quarter or more a gallon.

As for Corona, I like it well enough but my experiences with Mexico have convinced me that it's not the premium beer I once thought it was (neither is Dos Equis...sorry). In Mexico, where they make this stuff, they practically give it away and it's not uncommon to find bottles of Corona at bars and restaurants for 75 cents to a dollar (still more expensive than gasoline per volume!). There's a little bar I like to go to in Ciudad Juarez that sells 6 of the little 8 ounce bottles of Dos Equis in a bucket of ice for $3. Now THAT is a good deal :) Makes me feel dumb for spending $4 for a single bottle of Corona in an Iowa City bar a couple years ago.

PS: Thanks to Meade's wood-knocking observation, I'm thinking about letting my Pro5 sit for the rest of today. I'd hate to have mine be the one that blows up, especially with 4 and a half more years to pay on it ;)
    ice cream that's rediculously expensive! Hagen Daaz is $3.69 a quart, that's $14.76 a gallon plus tax! And Breyer's is $4.89 a half gallon, making it $9.78 a gallon plus tax. What's in the stuff anyhow... a little milk and sugar. The cream of the crop it isn't.

dinu01: What about the Pro LX owners who want fog lights, wouldn't the PIAA's be good? Of course, there's Hella, but they have changed their website to serve the automobile industry instead of consumers. No info there.

Like the MP3 and Protegé5, I think the round white fog lights would be cool. They aren't as large though. :) Speaking of Corona, those big fog lights on the MP3 remind me of the Baja road race cars. Great for spotting roadrunners, coyotes, and banditos...not to mention Taco Bells.

fowler3
    When you get your car home wait a while before you apply wax, let the paint cure.

fowler3
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    10 four good buddy. ;-)
    The repair shop gave me a sheet detailing, what I cannot do until the paint cures.

-Larry
    You beat me to that advice. They told me to hold off waxing for a couple of months when I got my car out the shop in October. Regarding the leather, the dealer had used a national after-market leather chain to install it prior to me purchasing the car. I was able to get it for their cost when I purchased it, which wasn't too bad, and it really makes the car seem a little nicer than the economy car it is. It seems especially nice compared to the black-only option available with the P5 and ES. What gives with that anyways? Not that I have a problem with the color black, since that is the color of my car, but I don't want my interior in it since it only adds to the heat inside.
    A concrete bra!

HA HA HA HA HA!

(I crack myself up)

Meadeball
    I, and I presume others, are wondering if you stay up at night thinking of these things! Look at the time of that post! Ouch!

Concrete bra is pretty good though. How about a flubber bra?
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Dangint no one told me that. I applied some Nufinish to it about 3 days after I bought it. I figured it would be best considering that it rained and then snowed that same week. (sigh) The joys of living in a salt state. so what did I do? Did I weaken the car finish?
    What color is the leather in your car? Sounds nice and it probably looks as nice as the new Audi A4's leather interior. The A4 is what I would like, a compact luxury car, but not at $38K. Of all the compact cars out there the Protegé came the closest.

I debated having a wood trim kit applied to the center pod and console, but the bronze plastic looks good, too. Maybe in my next Protegé with a moonroof and alloys and really plush carpet mats. ;)

fowler3
    I believe that what Larry and others were referring to was a VERY fresh paint job following body work...not necessarily factory paint on a new delivery (which presumably has had some time to cure during shipping and sitting on the lot before being purchased).

And if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected before lunch :)
    Of course that will teach me to skim the messages.
  • bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    I end up driving with the fog lights on the MP3. The light pattern fills in quite a bit of the road that the regular headlights. I wish that Cibie still made the lights I used to have in the 70s, I'd swap those fog lights out in a NY minute for them. I noticed they still make the Oscar line, but you would need a shoehorn to fit them in. I don't like the look of the little PIAA-type lights. I assume they are state-of-the-art, but they look so -- JC Whitney --!
    No, we're not getting into S&M here!

Leather - The company my dealer used is Classic Soft Trim at classicsofttrim.com. Funny you should speak of the A4 since that is what I sold prior to getting the Protege! Of course my 1.8T only had leatherette, so I upgraded the interior so to speak when I bought the Protege. I wouldn't go so far to say it is better than the 2.8 or heck, my Millenia for that matter, but it does look and feel nice. I have a black exterior with grey leather. Also, this company has been great to deal with. I had a little fastener problem on the rear doors and they actually came to my office to repair it! Now that is service.

Wax - I was also referring to waxing after body repair and not a new vehicle. You should be fine.
    Wow! First time I visited that web site. I didn't realize they had so many options on color. The also seem to have to wood trim kits for those interested.
    Fowler: For the SE and LX folks, PIAAs are great. As I said I used to drive only with the PIAAs on in the city and use headlites only when the weather wasn't clear. Never got stopped by cops, so I assume it's ok. Plus a lot of those supped-up Civics are like that in the summer (foglites+side markers+rear lites on only, no headlights)...

Elec3: I'll see if they have that beer at out beer store this weekend. Definitely interested in trying it.

Bondobob: What do you recommend as after-market foglights that you can drive with at nite?

Now here's a question for you all:

How do I change the lights system so when I turn the engine on my foglites and side markers (amber lights) come on, but not the daytime running lights from the headlights? I know it has to do with re-wiring (now there's a genius!). Did any of you do it or thinking about it? I wanna make it look like the Audi A4 lights, that's all. I just LOVE that car! And the PRO of course, but the A4...all rite I'll drop it
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    We don't have DRLs here in the US. I know they are a law in Canada, so you might not be able to change it around. When I had my 2001 ES, I had the fog lights rewired to come on with the marker lights as well as the headlamps. (They only came on with the headlamps from the factory.) It cost me like $25 at a local audio shop for the rewiring. You might be able to get away with that.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I too thought about a wood trim kit. I pulled up a site and know it would look good with the selected wood. But you only get one chance to apply each piece and I didn't trust myself. Thought about buying the kit and having a body shop do it. May do it yet.
    I buy snow tires and look what happens. It's 62 degrees right now, december 5, in minneapolis minnesota. What the heck is going on? It's been warm all november and now this?
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Same ting here in Vermont. 50+ and dry with $500 worth of steel and rubber sitting idle in the garage! :-)

I'll need them soon enough!
    I put my snow tires on last night, now I am wondering if I wasted my money. Come to think about it, we have had some pretty mild winters lately. Global warming? Will MN soon be like CA?
    No
    It was pretty snowy here last year and the temps were pretty low.

Sooner or later in MN you will use the snows and be glad you have them. (GRIN)
    66 in Chicago today...last year at this time, we had already received quite a bit of snow. I remember distinctly, because I was taking driving lessons at the time. Ah, yes--learning how to parallel park in a snow bank...talk about an exercise in futility!

But I agree with maltb...MN or IL will not become CA, at least not any time soon. Don't take off those snow tires yet!
    Here in sunny so Cal. it's 66. Enjoy the warmth, we'll be asking for it back soon.
    I mean weather wise, MN may soon be like CA. Of course it will never be the freak show that is California. ;0
    Haven't you figured it out yet? The times reflected on our posts are Pacific Standard Time. I made that post (6276) at 7:19 this morning. (I get to work around 7 to avoid the traffic -- and get off at 3:30 for the same reason.) Hey -- check out the time it put on your response post 6277!

And nope, I don't spend a lot of time thinking up these corny things. I'm a writer by education and profession. These weird things actually come pretty naturally to me.

I'm outta here. See you guys tomorrow! Sorry to hear your new car's radio died, Paul!

Meade
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Here in MD, it's a balsy 70-ish outside. I don't ever know how to dress for work anymore. :) It's kinda cold in the morning, then it warms up in the afternoon, then cold again in the evening. Crazy weather. :0
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    70's here around Pittsburgh, wife just called from the gas station, she's got the top down today. Please snow soon, please.....
    Thanx for the tip Vocus. I'll give it a shot on Friday, see if I can find a place to re-wire them.

Weather in Toronto sitting a about 15 Celsius. Don't know how much it is in F, but let's just say that usually by this time it's -5C, so yeah, pretty warm. No jacket today, just a light sweater. I'm liking it, but I still have to go trire shopping now that my exams are over. Did fairly well (B+/A) on both btw (not that anyone cares after all).

Cheers!~

Dinu
    it's 59F

C x 9/5 + 32 = F

F-32 x 5/9 = C
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    dinu: Which beer, Corona or Dos Equis? I recommend them both but I also recommend not paying more than they're worth. If they're more than the same amount of Sam Adams or Killian's Red, you're getting ripped off (you're probably getting ripped off anyway, but I've never seen either one cheap outside of Mexico). They're both fairly light beers, with Corona being the lighter of the two. Dos Equis is often good if you can get it on draft with dinner at a Mexican restaurant...it has a slight lime flavor to it (even before you put a lime in it). Also if you like Corona, I highly recommend Pacifico.

As for the weather, a lot of you have had a warmer day in places like Minnesota, Chicago, and Vermont than I've had here in sunny Las Cruces, New Mexico. Right now it's 55 degrees and a bit breezy. Of course, this is as cold as daytime highs here get, but still :)
    Dos Equis: Sounds like a good beer. Let you know what I think after a taste test this weekend (if I can find it). As far as price goes, I don't mind paying $1 or $2 more something that's more "drinkable" than the avg. domestic beer (Molson Canadian and Labatt Blue up here in Canada).

Thanx for the conversion help maltb.

Fowler: Chat on tomorow?
    We made it back on Edmunds' most active boards! 34 new posts.

ZOOM-ZOOM :)