Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• captstarkcaptstark Member Posts: 4
    I got in to this to find out how people like the Mazda Protege, and found more information on the current snow out east and down south. I can't believe it, but we have not had even a light dusting of snow. Last year we had over 20 inches of the stuff. I must admitt that I like it better this year. Anyway, we are thinking about buying a 2002 Protege ES. I have had two 626's and have had excellent luck with them. We were thinking about a 4X4, but decided that when I had my Expedition I only used it twice in the snow. Front wheel drive usually will handle any thing that we get out here. So, please let me know what kind of luck and how you like your Protege's. Thanks for your help.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    just a minute ago and my good neighbor is clearing my driveway. A nice lady indeed. I would do it, but at my age it's dangerous. My dad dropped dead shoveling snow and he was 5 years younger than I am now.

fowler3
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have had 2 Proteges (a 1999 DX and a 2001 ES) and liked both of them alot. I traded my 2001 on a Jetta though recently. I had 38K on the 1999 when traded, and only 2 little problems in that time. The CD player got stuck twice, and the transmission shifted funny when passing. Neither problem was found by the dealership though.

The 2001 had more severe problems though. Brake rotors were warped (but that was my fault for washing the car when they were still hot), the radio blew out two times, once draining the battery and leaving me straded at 9850 miles. And the power driver's window got stuck or something. It was all fixed, and I put 20K miles on the car in 8 months. Definitely would recommend a Protege as good, solid, somewhat sporty, low-priced transportation.
    You would like a Protegé, considering you had two 626's. They are currently the best compact cars on the market, in my opinion. The ES is sportier and has stiffer suspension than the LX. Depends on what you like. I bought a 2001 LX 2.0 with AT and love it. It gets 28mpg city and 36mpg highway driving at moderate speeds, 60 to 65mph highway, which is our speedlimit anyhow.

My car has been perfect in its 8 months of use, no problems whatsoever. It's roomie,has comfortable seats, and all the car I need. I recently made a 427 mile day trip and was not tired at all when I got home.

You can pay more for another small car and not have as much driving fun. The Lexus IS300 looks like an economy car, the Protegé ES looks like it costs thousands more.

fowler3
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    BFG Touring T/A VR4 or Yoko Avid?

http://www.1010tires.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000038.html

• shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    --How noisy were they?
    Pretty good actually. I thought they were more quiet than the stocks on my Saturn

--How was the wet traction? (hyrdroplane, et al)
    It was really good when they were new but got gradually worse later on. At about 20k miles they were very acceptable on dry and pretty good on wet but pretty poor in slush and snow.

--Especially in relation to the RE-92 poortenzas?
    I've never actually driven on poortenzas. I've only driven on BFGoodrich, Bridgestone and now Dunlops on my P5.

Try this site out. It's huge but has lots of conversations on all sorts of tires. Mostly older stuff but it might be helpful.
    http://www.autopedia.com/bbs/tires/index.html
    or the main site.
    http://www.autopedia.com
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    I have had my 2000 Pro for almost two years now. It is simply the best small car out there. Although I did pay a pretty penny for mine it was worth every cent. Just one look at the Pro and I was hooked. It is also a sporty performer and is a blast to drive. Get a Pro. you won't be sorry.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I have a '99LX with AT, owned since Feb. 1999.

Minor issues: weatherstripping comes easily off rear doors on the rear edge of the window frame (easily fixed with silicone caulk), steering wheel initially off-center (fixed free). I also found the AT shifts hard from 1->2 when stomping on the accelerator just after letting off it. I avoid this by allowing about a second after letting up on the accelerator before stepping on it.

Other than that, I've had no problems. I have about 24,000 miles on the ODO.

Changes to '01-'02 from '99-'00 (that I'm aware of): thicker sheet metal in the strut towers (better handling), more sound-dampening materials under the cabin floor and around the wheel wells, 2.0L engine now standard across all trim levels, interior dash and console changes, audio system changed, headlamp assembly and front fascia changed, wheels are larger on the LX (15 v. 14), map lights even w/o moonroof, more substantial sun visors, trunk-lid spoiler standard on ES, dual tripmeters and persistent (displays when ignition is in OFF) display of odometer/tripmeter.

I chose the Pro over its competition for roominess, handling, value, comfort and outward visibility. None had the right combination of the above, except the Pro.

My minor nitpicks (accounting for changes in '01):
    Interior lighting dimmer control is clumsy to reach. Coin holder is small. Stock speakers may be sub-par, depending on your expectations.

I really like my Pro, even if it does have the smaller 1.6L engine. I like the ride and handling very much (to the detriment of my fuel economy, which averages about 29.4mpg in mostly local driving). zoom zoom :)
    I have had my 2000 Pro for almost two years now. It is simply the best small car out there. Although I did pay a pretty penny for mine it was worth every cent. Just one look at the Pro and I was hooked. It is also a sporty performer and is a blast to drive. Get a Pro. you won't be sorry.
    I have had my 2000 Pro for almost two years now. It is simply the best small car out there. Although I did pay a pretty penny for mine but it was worth every cent. Just one look at the Pro and I was hooked. It is also a sporty performer and is a blast to drive. Get a Pro. you won't be sorry.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Just remember if you refresh it reposts the last thing you posted. (chuckle)
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    I have owned 3 Protege's (91, 96 & 01) and all have been flawless. Like Fowler, I have an 01 LX 2.0, since I also prefer the softer suspension and the LX's interior. IMHO, the ES is a better value......16" alloys and Foggies. My loaded LX 2.0 was the same price as an ES on my dealer's lot. Good luck with your purchase decision!

No snow in Ohio, this time we got lucky:) Good luck to our Mid-Atlantic Protege owners.
  • mazdadude1mazdadude1 Member Posts: 49
    Got a "dusting" of snow here on the southeastern coast of NC... and my p5 did just fine today in its first snow! lol Always cool to see palm trees, spanish moss and snow together... surreal. later
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I just got home from work and turned the news on. There were some pretty crazy driving situations down south today huh? I saw people sliding everywhere. Have any of the states down south heard of road salt? They should at least have a supply for one snowfall a year. From what I saw on the news, it looks like GA, VA, NC, SC could have used some salt. It's a necessary evil when it snows out. Here in MN during the winter, my Protege is sometimes quite salty and it bothers me, but at least I'm not crashing into ditches, light poles, freeway dividers etc.

Mazdadude- That sounds crazy, palm trees and snow. I didn't know they had palm trees in NC. How far north do those things grow?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We have some of those nasty auto-finish-destroying chemicals they call "salt" - what we don't have is very many trucks to spread them.

Which means most of us get to stay home again tomorrow. Hee hee!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • mazdadude1mazdadude1 Member Posts: 49
    Hey newcar31, I think this area is just about as far north as palmettos grow on the east coast. Myrtle Beach, SC about 60 miles south of here has lots... Wilmington, NC, where I am, has just a few. They are not native to this area. And they are the short palms... growing around 20 feet... not the really tall ones like around Miami. We have salt here too for roads, but only main ones are salted. By the way, for those wondering about traction of fwd v. awd... I lived up in the northern NC mountains where they get lots more snow, around 36" ave. per year, and I had a fwd for four years and never had problems getting around even on those steep mountain roads. They kept them plowed pretty well up there, though. Many people up there do have subies, however.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I wish salt only destroyed auto finishes. It also degrades rubber bushings and corrodes metal pieces of the chassis and under-carriage. Add in alloy swallowing pot-holes and you have yourself a state that is very un-friendly to automobiles (MN). That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind moving to San Diego. The only potholes they have anywhere near there occur during earthquakes and unfortunately they usually take the whole car. Then again, I can't remember the last time I heard of a major earthquake in San Diego. Oh well, the price you pay for an annual average temperature of 72 degrees and rare rainshowers. I'm sick of this single digit crap when I walk 4 blocks from the bus stop in the morning.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I own a pair of 2000 Mazda Protege ES's. I purchased them new, in Feb. of 2000. Both vehicles have a little over 33,000 miles. They have been flawless! Not one problem, my friend. Consumer Reports highly recommends them, and as you certainly already know, they are a dying breed. That is automobiles constructed in Japan with 95% Japanese parts. If you have $16,750 or so to spend for a new econo-sport sedan grab a 2002 PRO-ES. You will NEVER regret your choice!

-Larry
  • sunbird3200sunbird3200 Member Posts: 12
    My girlfriend just bought today a new for her 1999 Protege Lx 5 spd with 59,274 miles on it for 7000 from a mitsubishi dealer. What a great little car it is for not being a honda. My question though is since it has a 105 hp 1.6 liter engine can you rev the engine like a honda or should she be more conservative? Have you guys ever heard on window etching? They put the vin number on all the windows for theft purposes and said it was mandatory in CT? I have never heard of this before and it cost $147.00 and we had no say in it. Also the front bumper near the left headlamp is cracked. It looks like someone stepped on it and it just snapped. Any easy fixes? The crack is about 4 inches. Thanx
    Congratulations!

Rev-happy. Sounds OK to about 5000rpm. After that it gets a little rougher. I've never taken mine to the 6500 redline. The torque peak is around 4000-4500rpm. I usually stay between 2500 and 3500rpm (plenty of useful torque down low), get to 5000 when I have to accelerate into congested traffic.

Honda's supposed to make very high-revving engines, with torque peaks higher in their ranges. Still, shouldn't be a problem if she likes to rev the engine.

Don't know about window-etching the VIN onto windows being required in CT. I'd ask the local police station or your local state rep's office. Sounds kind of fishy to me. You can send away for a kit to do the etching yourself for much less than that.

Don't have a good suggestion re: the cracked bumper fascia. Could try cleaning out the crack and using epoxy to bind the crack closed, then use light body filler and touch-up paint. Difficulty is the bumper material is pretty solvent-resistant, making it hard to find an adhesive that will stick to it.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Only a handful of folks at chat tonight (8:00 p.m.--9:00 p.m. central).

Where was everyone?

Fowler, where were you?

Every Thursday...be there, or be square.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I agree the window etching is fishy.

newcar31 I lived in St. Paul for 3 winters. What the Twin Cities have in common with the yoop is being able to undercoat and wash your car in salty slush-mud at least 4 months a year. Drive out of the car wash and recoat all surfaces in salty slush-mud. :o(
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    In 1999 when we moved to Texas, we bought a 1999 LX for my wife after very seriously shopping that price class. We sat in everything and drove several. Seemed like a great car and the mags loved it, so we bought it.

It has around 38K miles on with the only troubles being external events (rock to the windshield, faulty maintenance work). We love it so much that when we decided it was time to replace my car this summer, I went with another Pro, this time a Pro5, which I like even better than her LX.

Get one, you'll see...
  • selisbeselisbe Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any experience with putting chains on the Protege? We just bought my daughter a 2002 LX that has 195/55r-15 tires on alloy wheels. On our old '89 MPV we just used cable chains on the rear (stock wheels). On our 98 MPV 4WD with alloy wheels we have Z-chains for front and rear, but only have put them on the rear as the clearance on the front strut is so close. The Protege owner book says tire chains on the front and mentions that alloy wheels may be damaged. Low profile tires might be part of the problem.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Virginia State offices closed at 10 a.m. yesterday and I went home right after making that post about our 8 inches of snow. Well, we got a total of about 10 inches at home (not in Charlotte ... I live about 15 miles southeast of Richmond in the suburb of Midlothian, Virginia).

The problem down here is not just the snow. (Snow removal equipment isn't needed every year, so we don't have full-time budgets and equipment for speedy removal ... although VDOT had plowed, sanded and salted my suburbian secondary street five times by midnight last night ... good job, VDOT!)

The problem down here, and a problem that many "damned yankees" don't seem to be aware of when driving on southern snow, is the layer of ice that forms since our temperatures don't stay cold enough for everything to remain nice and fluffy-powdery. Our snow is usually real wet and slushy, and often accompanied or preceded by freezing rain or sleet, and the road surface under that inch or two of snow is usually a solid block of ice. Yes, it's damned scary to drive on, especially on roads that have banked curves and you have to fight sliding sideways even when stopped! So many choose to just not drive at all, and hole up in their houses until the roads are clear. Which is good for those of us who have to get somewhere and don't like dodging those who only made it so far!

I love driving down the interstate after a minor snowfall here and laughing at all the Excursions, Yukons, Blazers and other SUVs with New York, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts plates (well, when they're from Mass, they're Lexuses, Acuras and Range Rovers), stranded in the drainage ditches and medians with their lights shining into the sky, waiting for assistance. Sorry, me and my little Protege will keep puttering along at 25 mph, but I'll make it to work!

Meade in his winter wonderland
    They only mention alloys might be damaged as owners of alloys get more upset when they're damaged than owners of steel wheels.

Steel wheels (and covers) get damaged as well, but owners don't seem to mind as much (especially if they remember to remove the wheel covers before they install the chains).

I haven't yet used my tire chains (cables, really) on either of my cars' alloy wheels. The tires' snow & ice grip is adequate for what I usually experience. If I were to go into really slippery conditions, I'd get a dedicated set of snow tires on steel wheels (w/o covers) and bring along my tire cables. That way, I wouldn't get upset about scratches on my nice, pretty alloys. :)
    People in SUVs seem to think they will not slide or something. I have seen many a car go off 95 and slam into embankments, poles, and trees from acting dumb on Maryland highways in the snow. They never learn.
    "Our snow is usually real wet and slushy, and often accompanied or preceded by freezing rain or sleet, and the road surface under that inch or two of snow is usually a solid block of ice. Yes, it's damned scary to drive on, especially on roads that have banked curves and you have to fight sliding sideways even when stopped!

-Meade

Meade my good friend, I saw on the morning news that 10 folks were killed in storm related or associated accidents. I'm very sorry to hear of that and I'm glad you completed your commute safely.

-Larry
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    We still have a little 90 323 hatch in our family. When I drove it, I drove it like it was stolen. It has no tack and was a 5 speed...not even sure it had a rev limiter. I never hit it and I reved the engine pretty high. Anyways, my 2000 protege I've bounced off the rev limiter (about 6800rpm) at least a dozen times or so. No problems at all. I think the red line is conservatively set. As long as you maintain these cars, they last forever
  • kate25kate25 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 ES (purchased in the US) and will be importing it into Canada. I was wondering if anyone has any info on the Daytime running lights? Is it just a fuse I need to put in to activate them or will I have to have the dealer install something? Thanks
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    You can either use your parking lights to drive so it will look like the Chrysler vans (amber front blinkers and rear red lights) or just leave it like that. If customs has no issues with it, don't bother.

I wanted to re-wire my foglights to use them instead of DRLs, but I didn't get around it. Try a locan mechanic for a quick cheap fix.

Dinu
    Here in the States, all the Protege ES' come with fog lights that only come on with the headlamps. I had mine rewired for $25 so they could be turned on with the parking lights only. They looked pretty cool too.
    Do you need them? I have no problems driving with the stock RE92s in snow (only snowed once this yr). If you live somewhere like Buffalo let's say where it seems to snow more than anywhere in the US, then a nice set of 4 dedicated winter tires should provide ample traction.

SUVs and snow: Just like Meade and Paul, I get a kick out of watching SUVs in the ditch on snowy days. Not only don;t these people realize that not all SUVs are full time 4WD, but they also forget it will take them longer to stop than it takes a car. Let's not forget to mention the drivability factor of a truck.
    Paul: That's what I'm planning to do. Maybe next Friday. (I'm just soooo lazy on Fridays...My only day off from school AND work).
    YIKES! I guess, dinu's post and links did get deleted, twice? Meade, I guess they were naughty? Pat, keeps I close eye on naughty or offensive materials, posts and/or links. BTW, I support Pat_Host, she needs to keep it nice for everyone. I tough job indeed. :-}

BTW, I hope Fowler, our fearless leader is OK. We have not heard from him here, today. He was also no show at the Thursday chat? :-O

"I'm just soooo lazy on Fridays...My only day off from school AND work."
    -Dinu01

Dinu, your not lazy, my friend. Heck you go to school during the day and work at night! Everyone needs to goof off and recharge the batteries? Friday is your goof off day! ;-)

-Larry
    I agree we have to keep it clean for everyone. I didn't think it was offensive b/c I was talking about cars, not people. And yes we all support Pat. Seriously. I too hope James is ok; it was a very slow night in the chat w.out him.
    I think your a solid player here Edmunds' Town Hall, it's my understanding that the new head hosts is trying to maintain/enforce the User Agreements to the highest letter of the law. I have no prob with that. The goal is a PG-13 atmosphere in the discussions. I also, applaud him for that, too. BTW, it is my opinion that Pat_Host has a great sense of humor and gives the Protege folks a little extra leeway. Why? I suspect, we try our best to welcome & encourage newbies, we are very enthusiastic about are Protege's and in general try to create a caring atmosphere at this discussion. I think of Pat_Host, this way. She is our lifeguard at the "old swimming pool". She wants us to have fun, however once in a while she needs to blow the whistle and keep us in control. We might not always agree with reason for blowing her whistle, nonetheless she's got a job to do. :-)

-Larry
    I received a couple of CD's from Santa Claus ("I'm gonna return em, sorry Chris Kringle ya got a tin ear") and several music store gift certificates from family members. Question, what kind of music does everyone listen to in their Protege's when Zoom Zooming around town? I need some recommendations on what music CD's to purchase with my gift certs? What are you folks listing too now and what would you buy if you had $50.00 burning a hole in your pocket?

-Larry
    Here is the deal - as many of our Town Hall members know, but perhaps some of you do not, "rice" terms as applied to vehicles are not acceptable in posted messages here. They are considered ethnic slurs and as such are not welcome.

Now, let me just say this to head off any debate about this policy. The policy IS what it IS. I do not make it; I'm merely charged with enforcing it.

It is not appropriate to get into a conversation here about whether it is a good or bad policy and I will remove messages from here on out debating the subject and/or using the words. I'm sorry, but it just has to be that way. As noted, I have a job to do, and I have folks to whom I answer, just as most of you do, I'm sure.

If anyone wants to pursue the fact that this is policy, you can direct your comments to our Consumer Services Manager, Jonah Brown, at jbrown@edmunds.com.

I would really appreciate everyone's understanding of this issue and let's just move on, okay?

(Can you tell I've been through this a zillion times? ;->)

Let's talk about Proteges or snow or road salt or anything but this, please.

Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    And yes, where is fowler? Snowed in, powerless? I hope not!

I lost my power for a couple of hours last night at the height of the second "wave" of the storm. Funny how it seems like forever when you have no power, you know?

And it sure got cold in here!!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • bondobobbondobob Member Posts: 34
    Well it looks like Long Island may get the first frozen precip this weekend, so I had to finally get off the fence and get a set of winter tires for the MP3!

I had been looking on eBay for a used set of 15" alloys (old MX6 or MPV), but in calling my trusty Mazda dealer today to check offset #s(Wantagh Mazda in Wantagh, NY) found that they had a set of black rim takeoffs from an MPV that were mine for $25/per. Stopped and placed in trunk and headed for the local tire shop where I bought a set of Semperit Directional-Grip M&S 195/60R-15s (nice tire, not chunky snow tire cleats) and had them mounted using the chrome lugnuts and locks without wheel covers. Sure gives the car a sort of "Mad Max" look.

Thankfully, Long Island doesn't usually get that much snow (we ain't Buffalo) so the alloys will return in the spring. (Pricing info: 65.99/per plus 4.99 to cover stem and high speed balance plus free switchover in the spring.)

I had forgotten how nice it is to not fear every pothole driving down the street! Wow, tires with rubber between the rim and the road!
    BTW, I hope Fowler, our fearless leader is OK. We have not heard from him here, today. He was also no show at the Thursday chat? :-O

I don't know what happened! I tried until 9:30PM Thursday to connect to Town Hall and the page would not open. I thought maybe the server for Town Hall was down. It wouldn't open all day Friday and only up to a few minutes ago, 10:15PM Friday, did I get to the boards. Maybe it was a router problem and nobody south of Virginia could connect.

We got about 8 inches of snow in the Greensboro area and more expected Sunday. My neighbor came over and cleaned off my driveway even though I wasn't going anywhere. To return the courtesy, I'm baking a small ham for her tomorrow in case we get an ice storm (no electricity) instead of snow. She will have something to eat.

My neighbors like my hams. I bake them with cloves, the top packed with brown sugar, and baste with hot pineapple juice and melted brown sugar until brown on the outside. The scored top opens like those onions at Outback restaurants. Great for breakfast on hot biscuits or a slice browned under the broiler topped with pineapple and melted sharp chedder cheese. Yummmm.

This year, NC tried a type of salt used in the North which is applied to the roads before the snow falls. I haven't seen on the news how it worked out. But all roads were clear today when the temp got up to 35 degrees.

If I don't post on Monday you will know we got ice and the power is off.

fowler3
    you could paint those MadMax wheels argent silver. Look for a spraycan of Krylon. You'll have to remove the wheels and mask off the tires with newspapers or wrapping paper and tape. They will look like alloys, if a bit funky.

When BMW use to paint steel wheels silver I had the center of each wheel painted black to highlight the chrome lugnuts and BMW logo. They looked sharp! This was on a BMW 2002 (not the year), the 2002 was the forerunner of the current 3-series, in 1975.

You may have seen old ones or pictures. The 2002 had a chrome strip that ran around the entire car just below window level. The C-pillars were narrow, big windows. All 2002's were 2-door coupes. They had leatherette interiors with perferated seats. Mine was metallic silver with a dark blue interior. Cost $6,750 new and we thought that was high. That was a lot of money in 1975, but so was $6,000 in 1956, when I wanted to buy a new Mercedes Benz SL300 coupe, the one with the gull-wing doors and custom-made luggage for the trunk. THAT was a beautiful car in silver with red trim. I only made $130 a month then.

When they talk on the news about inflation, this is a good example of what they mean...wages against cost of buying.

fowler3
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Larry: We covered the whole music thing a few months ago (maybe this spring?). I believe it was Meade who raised the question. But I'm more than happy to talk about music: U2, Proclaimers (Scottish folk/rock), Cranberries, Aretha, REM (although I can't listen to their new album anymore, cause that's what was in the CD player when I had the Great Accident), PM Dawn, Stevie Wonder, Arrested Development, Bach cello concerti. At least, those are the CD's in the car right now. Not sure what to tell you to buy, because I'm not sure what your tastes are. Give us a hint! :)

And as far as political correctness goes: I had never heard the expression in question until someone here mentioned it in chat a couple of months ago. Even then, though, its origin was unclear to me. It wasn't until I went to the site that dinu mentioned that I figured it out. So in a way, I'm glad this all came up, because know I now what the deal is. I see how it would be offensive, although I know that nobody here meant any offense. And now I'll shut up about that.

Glad you're okay, Fowler! Don't you just love modern technology?
    Glad you're okay, Fowler! Don't you just love modern technology?

Yes, I do! That's why I have been online for over 7 years now. Gosh, has it been that long? Yep. I started in 1995 when a contractor for Apple Computer.

People using the Net, bulletin boards, and chat rooms don't realize that it takes many servers to provide these amenities. Edmunds is probably on four or five servers, if not more. That's why the front page loads but other pages do not, when one of the servers is down. Outside companies maintain them, the reason it is very expensive to provide a big web site.

When I worked for TalkCity.com we started with one server in Australia, eventually moving TC to California on 22 servers and the Hosts grew from 70 to over 500 to host topical chats and monitor the rooms 24/7.

Modern technology is wonderful! I use it every day in business contacting magazine publishers around the world for clients. I don't know how we could get along without it at so little cost.

fowler3
    Have you checked out http://www.edmunds.com.co.uk to see cars which most likely will never drive on American roads. Ever heard of the Tata?

Go to the front page and scroll down to the bottom or use the above URL.

This week the Los Angeles Automobile Show is in full swing and Car Design News has it covered. Yesterday was for the media so pictures should be up.

http://www.cardesignnews.com

That show will be followed by the Detroit International Automobile Show next week. Many new models will be featured. Hopefully, they will have new Mazdas on display.

Edmunds should link to these sites if not covering them.

fowler3

Glad to hear your all right. The product applied to Northern roads, streets and highways prior to a forecasted "ice event" is a liquid form of Sodium Chloride mixed with other chemicals to create a sticky salt cocktail.

BTW, your Ham Recipes sounds delicous. I'm looking for a prep cook to work in my restaurant. Any chance you would re-locate to South Eastern Penna?

-Larry
    Pat: Not a prob. Didn't mean to be offensive at all; I just thought the idea of spending $20000 on a car then another $10000 to sup it up is ridiculous since you can buy a REAL sports sedan and not look like a fool for that $$$. But that's another issue now...

Fowler: Glad you're back and ok. Still NO SNOW in T.O. < I'm thrilled with it!

Larry: It's a personal taste thing.. So this is what I listen to:

Freestyle Frenzy Vol. 1-4
    Planet Freestyle Vol 4??
    Euromix Vol 5,6
    Joee
    Bon Jovi
    Latin Music (got a CD burned by the locals when I went to Cuba last December - 2000)
    Enigma
    3Sud Est, etc.. => Romanian music
    Z103.5 (www.z1035.com) on the radio
    Some older stuff (80's stuff)

Dinu
    Is this post ok? I hope so.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    This saturday morning as I started my car, the engine sputtered, the RPM went down, felt as if it is going to stall any moment now......and then the check engine light started blinking.....I stepped on the gas.....engine sputtered and shaked violently shaking the whole car with it.....I put it in D and gave the gas......the car moved sluggishly, still shaking.....then the check engine light stopped blinking and came on permanently.
    After that, I stopped the engine and restarted it. Started so beautifully as never before in the nearly 3 years of ownership...silky smooth...but the check engine light is still on...engine revs like silk now....

Any ideas about what is going on?

I will be taking it to the mazda dealer on Monday, first thing.