Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Do the Bridgestone RE730's wear out quickly? I have this problem with the R92s that at 22,000kms on them, the front ones are gone. GREAT on dry pavement, but I need a little more grip on wet roads. Are you getting them from TireRack or from someone in Mtl? If it's in Mtl, let me know the $ since I'll be coming by this summer.

Dinu
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    it will make your day...a lot better. Hope you have external speakers, if not, turn up the volume. It's really beautiful! Gives you something to think about as you zoom around. ;)

http://168.143.173.209/IWGnet.swf

Loads quickly. Watch it with your spouse. Share it with others. :)

fowler3

I still wonder why my 2002 Pro came with RE92's having a treadwear index stamped on the sidewall as 160, when all the ads for RE92's say they have a treadwear index of 260!

Maybe it's a typo in rubber! LOL

fowler3
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    My Pro5 has Dunlops on it. They're grippy, quiet, and I can feel good about myself every time I go over to the WRX board and hear people talking about upgrading to the very same Dunlops I got stock on my Protege :)
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Hey--

Speedypt and I plan to hook up at the Auto Show on Saturday, Feb 9th...probably at about 11:00 a.m. at the Mazda display.

Are you out there? Let us know!

--Chicagopro
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    That was awesome. Thank you very much!

God Bless,
    Larry
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    I agree, the RE92 has a high treadwear rating but that's not what makes it a crappy tire. The price does! These are pretty expensive considering what you can get for the same amout of money. Treadwear is only one factor in tire quality. The crappy firestone tires on the older Protege's may last long but don't expect to have much grip with these.

Dinu, about the 730's. I'm not excactly sure on them. My friend changed the tires and rims on his Altima and put on 17's. He said the tires (RE730's) were expensive. Close to the same price as the wheels themselves...but the wheels are not any name brand, they are a cheaper brand. I remember something about close to 200 bucks a tire installed with tax included. BUT, these are 17" tires. 15" tires would be ALOT cheaper. I don't think it's worth it to order from tire rack, after shipping charges, tax, and duty to Canada, it will probably be more expensive. And you still have to find someone to install them. We have alot of trucks at work and there is actually a Bridgestone dealer we get our tires fixed at. I'm going to see if I can swing myself a good deal there. If you find any Canadian online tire distributers, let me know. Oh, buy the way, the RE730 has a much better treadwear rating. It's either 300 or 360. I don't remember but look it up at tire rack.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Most retailers such as Wal-Mart and Meijers carry metal ramps made by Tru-Cut and called Ultra-Ramps. The Tru-Cut web site "autoramps.com" shows the accessory extension they offer which lets low-slung cars (Pro for one) be driven onto their ramps without hitting the bumper or front dam. Cost is about $15 and usually available from same retailer carrying the Ultra-Ramps.

Use "non-slip something" on floor so that ramps don't flip up into bumpers or grill. And it helps to have someone observe to make sure you're approaching the ramps squarely.

browntrout1: I assume you meant to say the RE92's have a low treadwear rating (or did you mean high for a "racing tire"?). I really wonder if such ratings mean anything at all.
    11C in Toronto today+sunny>Went to university for 3 hrs (set-up a presentation for this Thursday) and most people has the windows open a little to let some freesh air in. Reminded me of Zoom-Zoom Season (summer) :)

Perry: I'll take a look at them this spring. The Potenzas must go by next winter for sure!
  • repjrepj Member Posts: 14
    I just noticed that my 99 Protege ES passenger seat has a black mark/stain of some sort on it. I have no idea what it is. Do any of you have any suggestions on what I should use to try to get the black mark/stain out?
    Thanks,
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    It snowed a ton here the past few days and the temperature is somewhere around -25 degrees C. I had to drive my girlfriend to her Aunt's house and the roads were terrible. People, including me, were sliding everywhere.

Next year I will definitely be getting winter tires as last night proved just how unacceptable all-season tires are for winters in Calgary.
    57 F here right now...drove around with the moonroof open today.

Gave the car a bath (don't worry, Meade, rotors were cool!:) and bought new license plate frames for those GOOFY new IL license plates they're sending everybody. Decided to go with a thin chrome...doesn't look bad with the white car. Certainly much better than the cheap black plastic dealer ones I never bothered switching.

So does this count as a mod?
    Am I a gearhead yet? ;)
    I used upholstery cleaner I got at the auto parts store and it worked really well...can't even tell there was ever a stain. (If your stain is ink, though, results might be different...ink can be hard to remove).

And now you're going to ask me what brand...if I can find the can in the next couple of days, I'll post it here. I just know that I was standing in the store holding two different kinds, and a salesguy snuck up on me and said, "The one in your left hand is better." But that doesn't help you a whole lot now, does it? :)
    You just took the 1st step in Uncle Ben's File of 5-Minute Custom Jobs! I would expect a full website devoted to this "mod", but will settle for a pic on "our" site. :)

Mike: -25C? Ouch! Reminds me of when I used to live in Mtl and we would get a lot of snow every year, but here in T.O.... smooth as silk. Gotta love this "winter" of 2001-2002.

Dinu
    Meade, got his PRO-5, yesterday? I hope the delivery went smooth. Hey, Meade has Tammy let you drive it yet, lol! ;-)))

-Larry
    LOL!

Um, not sure I'll be posting any pics of my 'mod.'

Now if I could just find some Hello Kitty plate frames...

--Dale
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The brand name is Rhino Ramps and I got them at Wal-Mart for around $40.

My Pro5 goes up them with no rubbing. They are long enough for low slung cars.
    this afternoon, felt like summer outside, a balmy
    68 degrees. Going to be the same for the next two days. My Pro looks new again without all the black crud from recent rains.

I took some pics of Tip hanging out the back window, will post them tomorrow. She had a great trot in a nearby park.

By the way, I used ArmorAll Car Wash Concentrate and it really gets the bugs off the front without a lot of scrubing. Also used ArmorAll Window Cleaner afterwards because you usually have dirty water streaks on the windows. No haze is left with this product.

fowler3
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    in sunny southern New Mexico. Of course, that's average winter weather so it's really no better or worse than it has been, but it was a very beautiful cloudless day today (literally not a cloud in the sky as far as you could see).

Dale: I saw the afforementioned goofy new IL plates when I was home over break and all I can say is "Ugh!" I'm desperately hoping my Pro5 doesn't have to wear them for a while yet. I've still got the old plates and I'll hold out as long as I can, especially being far from sweet home Chicago :)
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    When I said earlier that I don't miss my Potenzas, I did not mean to imply they were bad tires. In fact, it was a nice experiment to have such performance tires on the car as OEM. They just aren't my choice for a replacement. An update on the Avid T4's I put on. I did some mountain biking yesterday in N. Georgia and got to have some fun on twisty mountain roads. The tires did great, but I could tell a difference between them and the Potenzas. The most notable is that it seems when entering a corner at speed, the new tires seem to float for just a moment before gripping. You get use to it, but I don't recall the other tires doing that.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They tend to seek some lateral sliding (controlled, of course) while driving on curvy roads. This may be reflected in their tire designs. Just a theory.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Suppose to hit 70 degrees here in the Metro DC area today. Can't wait! :)
    Regarding license plates:

The goal of the Secretary of State is for everybody in IL to have the new plates by 2003...you should be getting (if you haven't gotten already) something in the mail that explains how to send for them. I know folks who haven't gotten their notice yet, so don't get worried. They're phasing them in over the course of the year.

The newspapers have already printed angry letters from cops who say that the new plates are too hard to read while driving...
    Did you get the 5 this weekend or what? Are you out driving it instead of working?? :)
    I would if I got a brand spanking new P5 and the weather is nice as it is. Speaking of which, I made the mistake of stepping outdoors for a few minutes. Kind of hard to concentrate on work now. :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Will wonders never cease...my dealership is offering a free "service clinic" where they will do a free inspection and a free oil change! I'm not in real need of one as I had my last one at 10000 km and I'll only have about 13000 km by the time I drop my car off for the free oil change, but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Duh-ster, you should call your dealership and see if they have a similar offer right now!
    Tires:
    I can't get enuf of tire talk,... really! I love my OME Bridgestones, nonetheless; that can't last for ever. So, protegenic and others keep the opinions and reviews coming. :-}

Weather:
    Vocus, Dale and Fowler are correct the temps should hit the high 60's, today in the east coast. I'm taking my GLR (good little racer) for a nice drive with the moon roof open this afternoon, my rare day off, on a Monday. ;-)!!!

Car Wash:
    Hand washed, applied a coat of Klasse All-in-One Polish and one coat of Klasse High Gloss acrylic Sealer to my Protege, Friday. Now, I'm ready for the rest of old man winters worst. BTW, my Emeral Mica paint work, just pops with a glass like shine! Klasse is very easy to use. I love that "pimpin wet look"!!!

Regarding License Plates Holders:
    The plainer the better. Nuf said!

Meade Daffron:
    Very strange, the boy is missing in action? I hope his New Pro-5 is parked in his drive, waiting to be Zoom Zoom Zoomed!

-Larry
    I just came back from lunch, and it's very nice outside (in the metro DC area). I am talking like shorts weather here! I hate to be stuck in the office today! :( Have fun on your day off, and be safe while ZOOM-ZOOMing. :)
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    What do the new ones look like? The old ones were pretty plain, now what did they do? Of course, they will never be as cool as MN plates ;)
    Here's a link to the Secretary of State's page that shows the new plate (not such a clear picture, but it gives you an idea).

They're just over-designed. Either have the state's name spelled out in big, loopy script, OR put Lincoln's head on there...NOT both!

http://www.sos.state.il.us/departments/vehicles/passenger.html

• the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    The 'Illinois' print is too big. It would look better if they just shrink the font a little bit, that way the Lincoln head and the state name will be better proportioned...

Still like my basic MD tag, clean, simple, and tastefully done, don't you agree vocus?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    not that bad, but the lettering over Lincoln's head looks a little out of place. It should split around his portrait.
    I actually think the Md. tags are a little too plain for my tastes. I like the blue Bay plates better than the plain standard-fare ones.
    That's better looking than OH's new bicentennial plate design. I'll have to switch my 323's plates to these in 2003 since they're the old numbering scheme. I can hold onto the Pro's plates until they rust off though.

http://www.state.oh.us/odps/division/bmv/BicentennialPlate.html

IMO, it's just too busy. At least they don't have overlapping elements, as IL's new plates do.

Yea, this is a day the God made for shorts and T-shirts. BTW, does your Vdub Jet have a moon roof?
    This is the kind of day to drive with the top open.

-Larry
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    Has anyone looked into or acutally bought the P5 side skirts for thier Protege sedan? I looked into it today while I was at the dealer and the parts guy said they won't fit. I took a look at a P5 beside a regular sedan and they look excactly the same. I didn't get a measuring tape out but to my eye, I saw no differences between the front and rear wheel wells. The dervice department at my dealer has been generally incompotent, lazy, and uncooperative in the past so I'm just thinking that the guy doesn't know if it fits and it is easier for him to say no.

Anyways, if anyone has done this let me know. How much did the side skirts cost and where did you get them. I've heard people saying they were about $250 which is not too bad considiring people pay over $600.
    Boy, you guys are too funny...didn't think you would all be so interested in our plates :)

Actually, the picture that you see does exaggerate the numbers a little...the actual red is a little darker, and the numbers are a little more squared off. Old plates just had Illinois printed up in the corner, dark blue numbers on white plates. Very plain, yes, but also very legible.

Maybe I could even do with Lincoln's head on there...it's just that silly script.

Mazdafun: Just looked at the OH ones...I'll stop complaining now! :)
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    The front air dam and the side skirts from the P5 will fit your sedan. The rear skirt will not because the P5 has a shorter rear overhang. That's why Mazda sells the rear skirt from the MP3. IMO, it would look pretty dumb unless you install every piece (front, side, rear skirts)
    Definitely got the sunroof, heck yeah! Can't wait until 5:30 so I can do some major cruising! :)
  • repjrepj Member Posts: 14
    Hey Chicagopro, Thanks for the info on the upholstery stain remover. I should have known that there would be something made just for that. I will run by the autoparts store this weekend to see what I can find. Hope my stain isn't too strong...
    Holycow! That's a LOT! And $91 to renew it! Sheeesh. I'd leave the state.

In North Carolina,a one-plate state, vanity plates cost $25. They are made in the state prison system. Guess those guys have to have something to do.

They need block letters for the plates, not script. No wonder the police are complaining about them being hard to read which state they are from.

Wouldn't it be great if cars didn't require plates at all. Just a sticker on the windshield. Then manufacturers wouldn't put those flat places on front bumpers that look bad in single-plate states.

Some time in the distant future all cars will have a chip onboard that broadcasts the cars registration to the police with a radio command, including a photo of the owner. It will also be traceable by satellite if stolen.

fowler3
    Well busy day here.Had to teach grade 8s and now at work, I had a call that took 2 hrs and the issue is finally solved 2.45 mins later. I'm out of it.

Plates-wise,I like to see front plates on cars. It looks way to plain for my taste w/out one in front,especially when you have a plate you like (pics coming soon (10 days max) of my PRO).

Like everyone else, I'm enjoying the warm weather. Can't wait for summer so I can Zoom-Zoom with the windows open. (no sunroof here 0 although I LOVE them).

Hope Meade's cruising in style now...

Dinu
    Oh it was great here today! Temp in the mid-sixties, clear blue sky -- what we call "Carolina Blue" not a cloud in sight. And tomorrow in the mid-seventies. Rain Thursday and Friday...with snow in the mountains Sunday. Oh well, good things never last -- except Protegés. :)

One reason I didn't get the moonroof, it is either up or down, you can't raise it slowly and stop inbetween full open and closed. I'm talking about the tilt option.

fowler3
    Last time I heard anyone mention skirts on a car they meant covers for the rear wheel openings so you didn't see the wheels. Well not the upper half.
    I think they were called fender skirts.

I was over on the Acura TL boards yesterday, they were talking about people stealing TL headlights. Now THAT's a new one.

fowler3
  • rbrooks3athomerbrooks3athome Member Posts: 31
    Well, I hope the day is finally here for me, hopefully, Wednesday, 1/30/02. The dealer called me today to say he found my silver Pro ES. He should have it by tomorrow so with a little luck we can get all the insurance and reg issues done tomorrow as well and I can pick her up in the evening on Wednesday!

I keep reading that sales brochure and re-reading all of your posts. I really can't wait to get in, turn on that red dash light and have it be all mine. I've already bought the Mobil 1 and factory oil filters for the first 2 changes, including a new seal for the oil drain plug. EASIEST way to make sure there's no future leak from there.

I've even got my cd ready. It's a weird thing, but ever since my very first car, the first song I play in it is Red Barchetta by Rush. It came on the radio when I bought my first car as I drove it away. I've always considered it Karma since then. So, for each car since then, whether it be on cassette or now cd, I get it ready and put it in as I drive away for the first time. Silly ritual, but I can't stop it now.

Ron Brooks
    So I guess we'll have to welcome a new PRO to the family. Good to hear that! I see you're all set. Good luck with the pick-up!

Fowler: Tllights getting stolen? reminds me when Euro side fender blinker lights were stolen in Romania on our car. Man was it annoying to come out in the morning and see the amber cover gone.We fixed this by getting some custom made green lights that no one wanted to steal. BTw the car was an Oltcit Club 11R (not that I expect anyone to have head about it). Good story though, Jim.

Dinu
  • rbrooks3athomerbrooks3athome Member Posts: 31
    I received soe answers from the folks at Mazdastuff.com on their sport exhaust if anyone is interested. There are different mufflers for the Pro and Pro5, so it is not a "oone size fits all" deal. The exhaust is a sport "tuned" muffler and tip. It's not a cat-back system.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    your #7459, paragraph 5..now that's scary. "Your papers please!"

C'mon. Give a guy a break. All this talk of temps in the 60's and 70's. Between tonite and tomorrow morning we're supposed to get 5"-8" of snow. :o(

I remember what fender skirts are. What does that say about me? :o)

Enjoy your beautiful weather folks.
    Don't feel bad...the forecast for the rest of the week here calls for snow, freezing rain, and more snow.

Guess I have to go back to wearing socks again.
    You gotta stick with what works. Enjoy. :)