Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Let's not forget that the dealer generally has a ONE HOUR minimum labor charge (usually @ $60-80 an hour). That said, if all they did was have a 'look-see' at the hoses, belts, turn signals (WHY?), brakes, exhaust, etc., why even pay them the $91? You could have done most of this yourself for free. Then again, who wants to do this crap in the middle of winter? $91 suddenly doesn't sound so bad.

Just out of curiosity, what does the $415 full 30k service include?

Also, does anyone know of a site dedicated to all Proteges (even really old ones)? I had a '90 LX (kinda like an early ES--4-wheel discs, 125hp 16v, power everything, etc) 5-speed for a while that I really liked, it was stolen, I'm thinking of getting another first generation model (I live in the city, don't want a car payment). Thanks!!
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    mdaffron: Sorry I'm replying so late but my car is a 2001 ES 5-speed.

Someone earlier said that you can't have a 4-cylinder that isn't buzzy. Try the Civic 4 cylinder. Even our 93 Civic is quiet and smooth as glass at highway speeds. My 98 Civic EX was also smooth as glass and still got 35+ MPG while being faster than my current Protege.

Don't get me wrong. I love everything else about the car. The engine is just an annoyance. It's great for around town but I doubt it will be going on any more long trips. We typically cruise at around 85MPH and if we are in a hurry we follow the fastest car (which on the way to Florida can be 100MPH the whole way down) and the Pro just isn't up to doing that comfortably. Whereas, at 85MPH in the Civic it's begging to go faster.

Has anyone noticed a slight hesitation in their 2.0L engine at around 5700-6000 RPM?
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    I agree with whoever mentioned that that 1.8L Protege seems to smoothen out at 80+MPH. I try not to drive to fast over the speed limit for obvious reasons but the times that I pushed the car, I was very impressed. At 150KPH, the suspension soaks everything up properly and the steering is very communicative, it's point and shoot at that speed.

I don't know if you guys read the article on the 2000 Pro ES a couple of years ago from Car and Driver. I think this gets back to what they said...BMW verve for half the price. Stability at all speeds. If you can put up with the slightly stiff suspension at lower speeds, it more than makes up for it when your going 120+ KPH

On another note, I got my Protege up to about 190 KPH (about 119MPH) before the governor kicked in. Great fun. Felt very stable even at that speed.

I really hope an aftermarket company comes out with a Turbo for the 1.8L engine. I agree it would suit it better than the 2.0. A couple of years back there was a Protege "streets" edition at SEMA. It was the 1.8L motor and it produced 180HP and over 200lb-ft of tourque.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    >>>Has anyone noticed a slight hesitation in their 2.0L engine at around 5700-6000 RPM?<<<

....is me. Oh! I thought you said 5700-6000 miles. LOL

fowler3 ;)
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    If you can hear the engine, you don't have the radio on loud enough :)

I find my engine is quiter that most economy cars (2000 1.8L Protege). Focus was louder and so was the 1999 Sentra I tried. Sunfire was even worse. Jetta was much quiter though. I find at highway speeds you get alot of road noise (mainly from the OEM Bridgestone tires) from the Protege.

I think it's also a personal thing as well. Some think that engine noise is music to their ears.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    or higher, but I was surprised the first time I drove on the Interstate at 70MPH that the Pro doesn't float at all. I had expected such a light car to feel less solid at higher speeds. Not so, it feels better than at 45mph. And on cemenet roads with expansion joints it smooths them better than cars with softer suspensions.

The Protegé inspires confidence in everyone who drives one. It's the best compact car I have ever owned and I have owned many since 1953.

fowler3
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    not sure if you've visited it already, but http://www.protegeclub.com/forum is IMO one of the top All-Protege discussion boards out there. There's plenty of owners of all 3 generations of Protege. take a look.
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    I see that some of you have changed to Synthetic tranny fluid. I have a yellow P5 5 Speed and would like to move to synthetic tranny fluid.

What grade and make did you use and where did you get it?

Thanks.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    The final decision was the Subaru Imprezza. Despite only being able to afford the low end version, as opposed to a higher end protege, the only real option losses are a sunroof and cruise control. I was thoroughly impressed with this car and can see past it's horrible design now. It was what we looking for in terms of comfort and quality, and more then I had hoped for in handling and ride feel. I hadn't even considered this car until last night, but I'm glad I did. The plan was to quickly hit the Subaru dealer and then go back to a different Mazda dealer, but we took twice as long as expected and didn't need to retry the Pro.
    I'm glad there is such a wide selection of good cars in this price range, it really keeps the options open. (I'm sure those Cavalier drivers will notice eventually)

Thanks to everyone who helped! :-)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    When I had my 2001 Protege ES, I used to drive about 100 miles a day on the highway (commuting for work). The engine was incredibly buzzy (I had automatic) from 3500 rpm up. Also, it ran an annoying 4000 rpm at 80 mph (that seems high to me), and 5000 at 100. That's too annoying to be driving at that speed for any amount of time. Too loud for me, thank you.
    On the 1999 Protege I had (a DX), my front brake pads were changed out at 26,000 miles and the rotors were machined. The mechanic said I was hard on the brakes, and they wear quicker when you are hard on them in a small car.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    for an upcomming issue of Consuemr Reports...

They purchased a 2002 Protege LX from us yesterday. We sold them a P5 a few months ago also..

They got an automatic with ABS, moonroof, alloy wheels, parimeter alarm and mats. Millenium red.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    You made a good choice. My friend was also recently looking for a car and he too chose the Subaru Imprezza TS wagon. Nice little car. Very small inside though. I'm only 5'7, but I know people that are a little larger would not find it comfortable as the seats are like racing/rally seats that are molded along the sides. There is also not much room in the back seat and the trunk space is limited.

Great engine though. Makes a nice little growl. He hasn't been able to open his up yet as it is still being broken in, but the test car we took had some great power.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    "They purchased a 2002 Protege LX from us yesterday.

Richard, not to shot the messenger or anything. It's are darn shame they didn't pull a PRO-ES out of your inventory. :-(

-Old Head
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I used Valvoline Synpower 75/90 weight. They didn't have any Mobil 1, otherwise I would have bought it. You can find this stuff at just about any autoparts store; it's just regular gear oil that has many applications.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Be there.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Sorry to disappoint you eludwig, but the next Protege borrows heavily from Ford. The next generation Protege will sit on a heavily revised Ford Focus platform. Engines will be the 2.0 Zetec 4-cyl now offered in the Focus, Escape, and Tribute. The upper engine will be the Ford/Mazda 2.3L Duratec 4-cyl. This engine will also power the lower level Mazda 6's and should produce 160hp. I have previously heard this next generation will hit the market for the 2003 modely year, but I think that has been pushed back to the 2004 model year.
    I hope they work the gremlins out of that platform before then, or I'm defecting...most likely to Subaru, which I'd hate to do as I like Mazdas. :(
    Hey all,
    I've just noticed some strangeness going on with my car. Perhaps it's the cold, but on occassion, when I first get in the car in the morning, I've noticed that when I open the driver's door, the odometer will not be on, the interior lights won't come on, and the light above the ignition will not come on. Also, the door ajar light on the dash will not come on. If I open any other door, the lights will come on. Actually, now that I think about it, it also happens when I get out of the car sometimes.

Is there a problem with my driver side door not activating the lights? I'd say yes, but just wanted to see if it was happeening to anybody else out there. Thanks in advance.
    If you lean against the little thing that sticks out of the doorsill that turns the lights off, that might be the problem. It's at the bottom of the door near the B pillar. I did the same thing a couple times when I had my 2001 ES and thought it was an electrical short or something.
    Well, with 59,830 miles on my odometer, that has never happened to me. It sounds like your driver's door switch is stuck. I believe it is in the lower section of the B-pillar and is covered by a rubber boot. Try pushing it in and see if it pops back out--it is spring loaded. If it doesn't, and the vehicle is still under warranty, take it back to the dealership and have them fix it. Otherwise, you can probably remove the boot and try cleaning the switch.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Freddy: You made a good choice. Are you gonna take it on some dirt roads?

Mike: happened to me once, but as Paul said I was leaning against "the door thing" that turns on/off the dome light. As far as the odometer goes,I thought it's only on when you put the key in the ignition.

Audi8Q: Why not an ES? That would put a lid to others in this class.

Now to make Mike and Duh-Ster feel better, we got hit this morning at about 6am with heavy snow that just stopped now at 1pm. The roads were driveable at 8am when I got to university and the PRO handled well this morning (no sliding issues - but I did drive carefully and with O/D off). As per weather reports we are expecting freezing rain coming from Windsor and Niagara into T.O. this afernoon. @&amp;#* ! Now that's stuff I'm not comfy with. Might be a long commute back home.

Dinu
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Bad snow here last night, very heavy and wet. Close to 12" drifted on top of my car...took a long time to get going this morning. Then got stuck in the middle of my street (kind of wish the Pro had more ground clearance!:).

Floated on some slush and ice a little bit on the highway...due more to sloppy plowing by Streets and San than anything else.

Freezing rain here tonight, just to put a nice glaze on everything. Ugh!
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    ouch...i feel for ya...freezing rain is 10x worse than just plain snow! it's funny, but here it's great! only like -5ºC with expectations for it to get warmer as the week progresses! bad thing is, all this snow will melt, making the PRO DIRTY and all around not-nice-looking...=(

pf: i called my dealership and they said they'll have their "service clinic" in about 6 months. they said it's rare that a dealership will offer free oil changes along with the inspections...didja get it done?? is it available to all mazda owners, or just those that purchased from your dealer?
    thanx!
    'duh'
    In the 2000 and up models, the odometer comes on when you open the door (after the car has been parked for awhile, that is). It stays on for a certain amount of time when you turn the car off, then goes off. In the 1999s, you had to turn on the key to see the odometer.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    The Imprezza is smaller on the inside, but I'm not tall, and I already drive one of the smallest cars on the road, so I'm used to tight spaces. I would love to take it on dirt roads, but it won't work, because dirt roads are all up north, and when I drive up north it's in the summertime, and in the summer I obviously prefer to take the car with no roof!

Mazda/Ford: I hope Mazda knows what they are doing. There are not many desirable fords on the road, and I can only hope they do some serious modifications or they'll also lose another satisfied Mazda customer. I guess we'll have to wait to see how 'Fordified' the next gen of mazdas are.
    Hope I make it before the rain starts. Will post once I get home (5pm?) as I will be leaving soon.

Freddy: I too hope that they won't mess-up the PRO and the new 6. I'm already thinking of another PRO as my next car or maybe of the 6. If it's Mazda-made, I'll take either, but I'm very unlikely to consider a Ford-made car. Or GM or DC for that matter.

Dinu
    The next generation Protege will be designed and built by Mazda, but will use the next Focus platform. The 2.0L DOHC Zetec engine is a Ford engine, but its a good engine. The 2.3L DOHC Duratec is a joint Ford and Mazda effort. The Duratec will be built in the U.S. for Ford use, while also being built in Japan for Mazda use.

The Mazda 6 sits on a platform designed and built by Mazda. I am not sure if they will be built in Japan and imported here, or if they will be built at the Auto Alliance plant in Michigan. Mazda has been placed in charge of Ford's small and mid-size car development. The 6 will provide the platform for the next Taurus, Sable, mid-size Volvo, and mid-size Jaguar sedans. It will basically replace the Contour/Mondeo platform currently used by Ford.

As for weather, it is quite beautiful here in San Diego. After three days of rain and cold weather (well, cold for here--about 60 degrees day/45 degrees night), the sky is clear, the sun is out, and the temp is about 70 degrees out. I guess that's why we pay so much to live here...
    As we all agree the ES would have been a better choice for Consumer Reports...they usually buy the most popular sellers of each model.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I had castrol synthetic gear oil 75w-90 put in my 99es 5spd.

I would wait until a tranny had 10k miles on the original fluid before changing. This would allow wear-in metal to be removed with the tranny lube.
    ...before people start going home from work.

Last Chat tonight!

9 p.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. Central, etc.
    No, I know that I am not leaning on the door. I will check to see if it is stuck though. Thanks guys.

Dinu, that sounds like some harsh weather. Over here, we're supposed to hover around -6 or so for the next week. That's not so bad and I can handle that!
  • eludwigeludwig Member Posts: 82
    If the next generation Protege has Ford motors, it's off my list. Nasser drover Ford's quality into the ground and I doubt the bureaucrats at Ford will make the company "comeback of the year".
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    what is that, 20 F? That's COLD!!! at least in our neck of the woods it is!

And yes, everyone should jump in for the last Edmunds Protege Owner Chat tonight before they shut it down for good!

9pm ET/6pm PT
    Next time you hop in your Pro (using the remote door lock opener), check to see if the odometer is on when you get in. Sometimes mine is on, other times it is not. Maybe it's just related to my door problem??
    That's not cold, that's disneyland. *Negative* 20F is cold.
    The odometer should always be on before you open the door.
    Ok, if that's so, then there's something up with my car. I know for a fact that, sometimes, the odometer is not on, and will only come on when I turn the key in the ignition.
    In the parking lot, I passed my car and kept going, and when I realized I passed the spot where I parked it, I pushed the panic button. The PRO's horn went on and lights flashed. Yes, I did pass it; it was pretty well covered in snow, no wonder I went by it without recognizing it). Anyways, all the windows had frost (a few scrapes ove it and it went off) on them and I spent a good 10 mins scrapping frost and taking the snow off. Now backing out of my spot into the parking alley was "fun". Had to move back and forward for about a foot at a time to get it unstuck. The parking lot was not plowed and again I had to move it to get some speed before the Potenzas would start spinning again. Out on the roads, it was ok. (drove in D2 and used D1 to stop without braking a few times - it works really well!). Now we're just waiting to see if that freezing rain is coning - I hope not!

Dinu

PS: About 15 cms overall and -12C with windchill, -7C w/out. Not too bad.

PS2: Chat@9PM!
    I'll check mine to see what's happening with the odometer. I know for a fact that the green light around the ignition does come on.

Dinu
    And I thought I wanted to move to Chicago. Maybe not. It's 75 here in Atlanta today and the only road hazards are the squirrels.
    The next generation Protege along with the Ford Focus will have a MAZDA engine. Where did you get this info?? For that matter, Ford made the decision a few weeks ago to give almost all 4 cyl engine work for the entire ford family to Mazda.
    Chicago weather is really the best of both worlds:

We have the heat and humidity of Atlanta in the summer, and the snow and cold of Canada in the winter :)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    both of you are right:

The 2.3L is a Mazda designed engine that is currently only built by Ford in the US. The next Protege is said to have that same engine, but built in a Japanese plant.
    Is that the 2.3L in the Ranger? That must be a new engine because I know the Ranger used to have Ford designed 2.3L and 2.5L 4 cyl engines.

While I was at the dealership, I found out that they do not replace fuel filters on 99 and up Proteges because it is in the fuel tank. That really sucks. Is it supposed to a "lifetime" fuel filter? That doesn't make sense because I don't think any filter can last the life of the car.
    The one built in Japan anyway. I'd wait a bit on the Ford-built ones to see if they stick to the plan and build them right.

I'm relieved.

Now, if Mazda can make sure the bugs and gremlins are squashed out of the Focus platform and work their Optispace magic and banish the cheap plastics....
    I think the fuel filter in the fuel tank screens out the big stuff. There should be a smaller paper-type element in the engine bay. Usually, it's in a black cylinder, close to the firewall and up high.

You might ask your dealer's service or parts dept to look it up on their microfiche (or PDF files, if they're up with technology) diagrams, or just point it out to you on one of their Pros.
    chicagopro I think your statement that you have the "best" of both worlds is up for debate :) The weather here today was actually almost perfect. Cloudy enough to make the sky interesting, breezy, and 74 degrees. But the cold weather is coming back within the next couple of days so I guess all good things must come to an end.

I personally think that it's a mistake for Ford to combine the Focus/Protege platform. The Focus has had so many recalls that I am afraid it's bad luck will rub off on the new Protege.

Has anyone seen the new 2003 Corolla? We took a look at one today .. nice car. Very small ES300-ish and a Lexus-looking (but not feeling)interior. It's what the Lancer tried for but didn't quite achieve. Only bad thing is 4-wheel disc brakes are unavailable and they used a little too much hard plastic in the interior. We looked at an S model with automatic transmission, cruise control, and power package and it only stickered for $16,900 .. not a bad deal.
  • speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Didn't that weather suck? Oh wait..it still does. Got up at 4am this morn and shoveled for 1.5 hours, then off to work. A 20 min drive took me nearly an hour. My Artic Alpin tires performed wonderfully! I couldn't be more pleased. Deep snow, slush, clear, combo...didn't matter. It stopped, started and turned so much better than I expected. I even went through a snow-ridge (unplowed area in the center of a 4 lane street) and made it through with almost no problem whatsoever, passing a stuck Honda CR-V. Many of the streets I took to work had 4-12" of snow and my car never felt like it was going to get stuck or slide out. I am totally pleased.

On a sad note...month-end for collections today meant I missed the last chat. :-( That's a huge bummer.

I also invited some of the Protege Club members to meet up at the Chicago Auto show as well. We'll see what develops.

Regards and "Mush!"

Pete
    Are you absolutely positive that the Protege has two fuel filters? The reason I ask is because my local dealer has a service "menu" in their service department. For the 30K service, they replace the fuel fitler and in parentheses it says "Deduct $59.99 for 99 and up Proteges". I asked an advisor why they deduct money on the Proteges. He said that the fuel filter is in the gas tank and they do not replace it. Now my question is this: Why would my dealer pass up the chance to charge me $59.99 to change an easy fuel filter under my hood? (if there is one under the hood) They change fuel filters on all cars except 99 and up Proteges.