Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ksternosksternos Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Scott,

So your saying I should get at least $500 (factory to deal) and $500 (holdback), total of $1,000, off the invoice? If the invoice on the EX cloth is $26,111, I should get it for at least $25,111.

Did everyone know the destination charge went up to $595. It's even listed on the Honda.com website.
  • brennanbillsbrennanbills Member Posts: 5
    After reading other posts about Ext. warranties, we are also going through hondacare but with a dealer in Akron, OH...Pruitt Honda. He's offering 8yr/120k/$0 for $1250 plus b/c he is in Oh and we're in IL Tom Brown said we wouldn't get charged sales tax. I'm waiting for him to send the paperwork which I've read will be overnighted to us. We are going to hit Carmax right as they open since it's on the way to Brilliance and see what we can get. Already have print outs from KBB too(I too will be paper bogged). Beacuse of you're formula, we were able to get a great deal!

One last thing...Brilliance is stating that they can save me .5% on sales tax because I live in Chicago proper and we're buying from another county. However, dealers in Cook County are saying that we'll end up getting billed for the extra .5% within 90 days. Does anyone know anything about this?
  • ruschrusch Member Posts: 16
    I am not sure about the whole tax thing, but I know that McHenry County is 6.5% sales tax, but I thought it was based on where you lived not where you bought. We live in McHenry County so that did not effect us. However, we were told that if we bought outside of Mchenry we would have to pay an additional tax to say a Cook or Will County. I wish I was more help, sorry. Good luck! You'll love that new car smell!
  • scottmtscottmt Member Posts: 21
    Yes - about $1,000 below. You may be able to do even better - start negotiating at $1,300 below....
  • per2per2 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, Bulbul, from which dealer did you buy your LX? Today I visisted several dealers in the san jose area, and they all thought my price ($21700, dest fee included, or about $23800 OTD) is too low. I just curious where did you get $23500 OTD?
  • augcarbuyeraugcarbuyer Member Posts: 18
    Go to Rock Honda web site and get a quote.

I got my EXL RES today from Rock Honda.
    $27,1xx + tax and license. I added a $395 security system. Total out of door is a little under $30k.
  • jasonjyujasonjyu Member Posts: 6
    Got a dealer offer for o6 Ody EX for $24,730. Almost pull the triger. Someone told me to wait, since 07 is coming and the price wont be big difference if I wait 2 or 3 months. Since the resell price gonna be much different 4/5 years later. What do you guys think?
  • chimrichaldschimrichalds Member Posts: 11
    I have enjoyed this forum and benefited from the information here, so I wanted to come back and add my purchase results as well.

We purchased a '06 Odyssey EX-L RES for $28,473 + TTL (the price does include the destination fee).
    The dealer was Russell & Smith via their internet sales department, they were easy to work with and I would recommend them. As well as I would recommend Reliance in Lake Jackson, which someone previously here on the forum mentioned, their internet sales deparment were great as well.

Both of the dealers mentioned do not put any dealer add ons on their Odysseys.

In the Houston area it is getting to the point where you need to be, if you are not already, flexible in your color choices. The dealer we purchased from, on Friday had 3 EXL RES in stock and I left with their last one Saturday afternoon, two of the three had came off of the hauler Friday morning. As I was taking my test drive in the last one, they were preparing the other two for delivery. My Odyssey had 3 miles and all the plastic inside it when I climbed in to test drive it. The dealers with the most left in stock appear to be the ones that loaded down their units with dealer add ons.

Good luck to everyone still in the process and don't forget to test drive the vehicle you plan to take home, taking it up to highway speeds to check for the vibrations mentioned in one of the other Odyssey forums. I did so with mine and had no problems.
  • scottmtscottmt Member Posts: 21
    The MSRP won't be that much more but you will probably not get the same deals that Honda is offering on their 06's...
  • angelajohnangelajohn Member Posts: 1
    tgo117 If don't mind - could you please give me the name to the dealership and what state
  • btabta Member Posts: 2
    I got a reply from them for $28k. What color did you choose? Any advice as I am planning to see them this week. Did you have to bargain with the $395 security? Thanks in advance.
  • lumpy71lumpy71 Member Posts: 7
    I guess its time for payback. I found this website very helpful negotiating for our new odyssey!

I had a great buying experience at Boch Honda in Norwood MA yesterday. My wife and I arrived at the dealership around noon and left by 4pm with our new odyssey. We payed $30,649 for the Odyssey EX-L R&N including destination and we had them throw in Splash guards and roof crossbars ($400 value). Additionally, we got a very fair trade for our subaru Outback.

My mother works at a competing dealership and they were not willing to go below $31,000. I am not sure if they had what we wanted in stock though. This did give us peace of mind!

I hope this helps and good luck.
    Is there any other fee you paid besides Tax? Thanks!
    Doc Fee for about $250, besides that nothing.
    Thank you for your info, and I got the same price there. However, they told me this price doesn't include roof cross bars, weel locks, splash guards. I wonder if you get those or not. I don't want to be cheated by them. Thanks!
    I dont think you got cheated. We had a trade in that was valued anywhere between $12000 to $12500. They first came to me with a trade-in value of $11500 and I told them that I wanted $12500 or no deal. They came back with $12000. I then switched gears and "split the difference" with them on accesories. The accesories came to about $400 (cost to them unknown, probablly $200) and I insisted that my sales rep get that done, handed him my credit card and said we will walk if they didnt approve it!

He came back with a smile on his face and we feel comfortable with our negotiations.

SOLD
  • augcarbuyeraugcarbuyer Member Posts: 18
    I had Sage Brush/olive. Was the only EXL RES at that time. The security system was priced ridiculously at $595. You can buy a different one from Best Buy and have it installed for around $200. I thought the price of the van is low enough for me to throw in $200 so that I don't have to go to Best Buy and have them mess with it. I don't know if you could negotiate the price of the security system with the salesman. We didn't talk about any options because I was eager to get it at that price. The finance person will talk to you about extended warranty, coating, security system...

You should ask them if they can throw in splash guards and the crossbars.

You might also try Diamond Bar Honda. They advertised two EXL-RES at 26,6xx plus destination charge on LA Times two weeks ago.
  • j_jj_j Member Posts: 2
    Here is my Honda EX buying experience: :sick: With the valuable knowledge and experiences provided by the Honda members in this forum, I got into the dealer market to buy an EX 2006 model. First I requested on-line quotes from the two local dealers in Charleston.

First one (Hendricks) sent all junk automatic emails praising their service etc and flooding my inbox and never gave an actual price or never retuned my calls. So I decided to visit their show room and realized that they still live on MSRP price world. :confuse:

Stokes offered a better quote of $26,800 (out door) and came down to $26,000 when I visited the showroom a week ago. Last week, when I landed back to purchase the same vehicle, they swallowed all their promises and raised the price to $26,900.00 (the sales rep blamed it to ‘unstable manager’). I was so disappointed. :mad:

The next day, I drove to Honda cars of Columbia and purchased an EX with same accessories for $25,600+ (all inclusive). I landed there along with my family around 4PM and by 6PM we drove home in our new vehicle :shades: . Thanks to the excellent service by Nathan. :)

Anyone who is looking for an EX- selling Price of an EX is now below $25,000 (including destination charge). If anyone says they can’t match that price, just walk out. Good Luck!
  • myen2myen2 Member Posts: 15
    You could try Sierra (where I bought my EX-L odyssey) or Spirit (I just helped my dad get his Pilot there and they had lots of Odysseys).

The most important thing is to talk to a good internet/fleet manager at the place before you go and confirm the details of the pricing. They said that they read these forums so they know what prices are floating around. In talking with the internet "managers", you can tell if they are just trying to get you in or they are truthful.

Just know your price and shop it around, you'd be surprised that sometimes, it's at a dealership closer to you.
  • stuartlongstuartlong Member Posts: 17
    I posted a while back that my neighbor bought the 2006 Odyssey EXL-RES for 30315 OTD (base of 28900), no extras, from Goldsboro, NC. No dealer in Raleigh would match him(they offered 29100). I then tried another dealer within 50 miles and was quoted 29613 OTD. Next I called dealers in Greenville and Wilson, no matching offer was to be made. The Cary dealer told me that he could not match this price with a 10 foot pole.

I was not yet satisfied, so I tried one more dealer. He quoted me OTD of 29206.25. Not only that, but he said he would locate any color combination that I wanted for that price with no locator fee (waive $150), guaranteed until September 5th. Well, I will post this dealer's location after I go in and actually purchase this vehicle. We did not break down the components of the price into base, destination, doc fees, tax(3%), tags($74), but this price blows away every other quote I have received to date. I hope to post our buying numbers soon, after our purchase is made.

I am also going to search for one of those 8/120k/0 deduct extended warranties(I have read $1250 price quote). I will porbably also make use of Honda's 4.9% financing for 60 months, which he said would be available at this price, bringing our monthly payments to about $549 with 0 down.
  • hondasearcherhondasearcher Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am looking at 2006 LX and EX models in Austin, TX/San Antonio. I see in quite some dealer websites that some clearance sale is going on etc. In case some one has bought/enquired about LX or EX models in this region, may I know what may be a good price to ask (including taxes, destination fee etc). Also, is around $1200 for 8yr/120k/$0 a good price on warranty.
    Thanks
    Siva
  • icareicare Member Posts: 3
    Dealer agrees to 1400 below invoice - but said have to sell a 399 protection package (wheel locks, mud guards and cargo holders, etc). Is this good?
    no, you need to go to another dealer at least 25 miles from your home and say that you are willing to buy XYZ car today. Have everything that you need together for a quick sale. Tell them that you are working with XYZ dealership (make sure its a larger dealer because they can give you better deals) and they are offering me a price of $30649 including the protection package can you beat this? THEN SHUT UP, and see what they say. Do this in person. It is also important to make sure that the dealership has the exact car that you are looking for. They will up-charge you to locate and deliver a car from another dealership.

They know that if you leave you wont come back and they need to get rid of all inventory as fast as they can so that they can get higher prices for the new stuff coming in.

If they don't give you the price that you are looking for use their price to play the other dealership that you were working with originally.

Good luck let me know if you have any questions!
    Are you sure this will work? The dealer sure sound very upset already (I know this is a trick but ... :) )

I'll try to do this later this week. Too bad have a busy week. Do you guys think being close to end of August helps in this case?
  • jarozijarozi Member Posts: 4
    I just got back from Goodson Honda, and was wondering if anyone can recommend another Honda dealer in Houston. Goodson 's deal on an 2006 EX-L RES was $29,200 (before taxes and fees) PLUS $850 for a protection package. I walked out the door with the protection package still in the deal and they didn't stop me. I am guessing there are better deals to be found around here. Anyone have a better experience in the Houston area recently?
    I have to disagree with lumpy71 about having to show up at the dealership to find the best price. I have called 8 dealerships on the phone and found that the majority of them will not deal with you on the phone, however, some will. As I have previously spoken about, the Raleigh dealerships will sell the EXL RES for about 30420 OTD. Goldsboro sold the same vehicle to my neighbor for 30315 OTD. I called Greenville and Wilson with no luck at beating this price. Then I tried Burlington(45 miles away) on the phone and got 29613 OTD. I called Cary next and they said they wouldn't touch that price with a 10 foot pole. I didn't bother asking the price at Durham, because I heard they wouldn't match that price. Then I called Sanford and they called me back with 29206.25 OTD guaranteed until Sept 5th, with 4.9% for 60 months. Not only that, but they will locate any color combination of EXL RES that I want, that they can find, and waive the $150 locator and transfer fee. All done over the phone. Check with those who have purchased this vehicle, and I am sure they will agree this is a very good price. MSRP on this vehicle is about 32395 I think.

I was previously told by another poster (dtownfb)in this forum that it is best if you decide which vehicle you want to purchase, and then stick with that one and bid on the vehicles that the same brand dealers have in inventory.

Well....my next plan was to see if I could bid apples against oranges. I called one Nissan dealer and quoted my Odyssey price with the features to see if he would beat that price. He quoted me a vehicle with MSRP of 33995 for 29324 OTD and would try to beat the 4.9% APR on 60 months, which would likely put him under our $549/month payment on the similarly equiped Odyssey. I honestly thought that the Nissan was a better handling van, but it also had its cons. I also am not so sure this is such a great deal since they seem to be pushing harder to get rid of the 2006 Nissan Quests, than Honda is to get rid of the 2006 Odysseys. For this reason, I think Nissan can do much better if I keep at it.

Our first choice would be to buy the Toyota Sienna if they can give us all our desired features (leather, DVD, power seats, power doors, sunroof, vehicle stability control) for the same ball park figure. The verdict is out at this moment, since what I think is the dealer most willing to negotiate, is calling me tomorrow with numbers. But I think they can possibly make a competing offer since Toyota is offering 1.9% for 60 months. What this means is that I can afford to pay 31447 OTD(Sienna) at 1.9% and pay the exact same price as 29206 OTD(Odyssey) at 4.9%(549.82/month). And Toyota will hold its value slightly better, while starting at a higher MSPR. I will weigh their offer with like features against retail and wholesale to see if I have taken apples and oranges and turned them into apples and apples.

This has actually been a very enjoyable activity for a statistician over the last 3 weeks.
  • chimrichaldschimrichalds Member Posts: 11
    Try Russell&Smith through the internet pricing department.

Also, it is a little bit of a drive, but try Reliance in Lake Jackson, read back a page or two for my buying experience.

Good Luck
    I am positive this will work!!! What do you have to lose?

Remember this $30,000 is a lot of money and trust me the sales man is not mad at all. They are totally playing a game with you.

You are in control.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    Sorry if this is a naive question, but I couldn't find an answer searching through the forums. If you were to buy, say, a 2007 Odyssey for the invoice price, would the dealer make a profit? i.e. is there a dealer profit built in to the invoice or is that really what the dealer paid for the car?
  • tx_buyer1tx_buyer1 Member Posts: 2
    Only a very few folks in the dealership will know exactly how much the dealer paid for the vehicle (also called dead cost). Even if he sells at invoice, dealership will still make money.
  • ksvlssksvlss Member Posts: 4
    Wanted to share my Odyssey 2006 EXL buying experience. I had requested price quotes over the internet and got the following
    Auto Park Honda – 27533
    Leith Honda – 27698
    Crown Honda - 28373

Crown Honda had the color that we were looking for in stock, and matched Auto Park’s price. So final was 27500 + 3% tax + 398 doc + 74 tag.
    The car has about 40 miles on it - should I be concerned why so many people test drove but didn't buy this one?
  • carseeker3carseeker3 Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell us from which dealer you got that TOD price?
    many thanks
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Not in the slightest. 40 miles is nothing. Now if it was a high performance car that might have been beat on.... that's a different story.
  • pete3721pete3721 Member Posts: 10
    Hi brennanbills! Thanks for your information. I have talked to Brilliance Honda and they offered me the same price $26898 + ttl for the Odyssey EX-L. I plan to go there some time next week to nail the deal.

How was your transaction when you went to the dealer to finalize everything? Was there any catch? thanks.
  • dwilli01dwilli01 Member Posts: 1
    I have received two quotes so far $30,475 & $31,182 out the door for an 06 Ody EXL-RES. Both quotes were solicited via the web. I am hoping to strike a deal at $29,600 out the door - is that a reasonable expectation? Any input would be appreciated as well as tips on negotiating.

Thanks
    I spent 3-4 weeks searching for the right price to purchase my EXL RES. My neighbor purchased one from the dealership in Goldsboro for 30315. This was the cheapest price I have heard of for purchase so far. I called 8 dealers and most were at about 30,500. Two were willing to work with the price of 30215. I also negotiated to ability to purchase vehicle options at cost from the dealership. We have purchased the vehicle, and purchased the mud flaps installed for 120. We will probably add the cargo mat and a cover for the storage well. The interesting thing was that one dealer was semi-rude, telling me I would have to take my business elswhere. The dealership I purchased from made an inventory trade with this same dealership so that I could purchase the vehicle at the same offering price that I made to the rude dealership. My wife wants me to drive the vehicle over to this dealership and show them that I got the van at my price, but I will let a cooler attitude prevail and just enjoy the fantastic new vehicle that we now own.

I think the price of 30215 after tax/tags/fees is about as cheap as I could have gotten it. Final monthly payment at 4.9% APR with 0 down is 568.

They offered me several warrenty/service/price protection packages (4 i think). He gave me the cost of the first package. It would raise my monthly payment to 678. Ok, that is an increase of 110 for 60 months... for a total of $6600. I wonder how many people fall for this tactic? I said, "ok, the first one is $6600, the second is $3600, the third is $3000". His eyebrows raised when he saw that I understood what he was doing and he stopped the hard push on those items. His warrenty with $100 deductable was $1440 for 5 years and 100,000 miles. Warrenty Direct will provide 7 year/100,000 miles with $100 deductable for $814. This is not bumper to bumper, but if you read what is and is not covered, it is well worth it. I don't think his was bumper to bumper either, but rather, most likely major repair items. Price protection/service/warrenties are about 60% profit to the finance department guys. Don't give it to them.
  • jarozijarozi Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to everyone for the info, here is what I ended up purchasing from Gillman Honda of Ft. Bend.

2006 EX-L RES for $29,200 (before TT&L) + $1200 for 7yr/100k $0 ded. extended warranty. This was the price quoted through email, using hondacars.com dealer referral form. There were no shenanigans when I got there, just test drove then filled out the finance form for the 4.9% deal. Could only have gone smoother if the finance guy didn't try to hard sell his wares, but I guess he has to eat too. :)

Thanks Again!
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    There's no way to know if $29.6 OTD is doable as taxes, etc., vary widely from state to state. Since you'll have to pay those costs (whatever they are) regardless of where you buy, it's better to focus on price alone.
  • usctrojansusctrojans Member Posts: 1
    Just got my oddessy yesterday. got a great price and financing plan. Paid $26,800 + ttl for a silver 2006 EXL. Got wheel locks and mudguards too from Santa Ana Honda. No B.S. whatsoever, so I told them I'd sing their praises.

The internet manager also said that they also have a few 2006 Pilots at unreal discounts. I wanted one, so I hope this helps somebody. This message board is great. It really helped me cut through all the B.S.

Earlier, I got the run-around from Fladboe Honda in Irvine, so I wouldn't recommend going there.
  • brennanbillsbrennanbills Member Posts: 5
    Hi Pete3721,

All went well! Arrived at 10:30 out by 2:30. Our salesman was very accommodating. Price was as we agreed to over the phone, $26,895 for a Desert Rock EXL(would've liked Silver Pearl but none in stock). We live in Chicago proper so it was a bit of a drive, but they were able to save us 1/2% in
    tax because they are registered with Cook County. They did manage to talk us into the ext. clear coat and int. leather+ rug, but we negotiated heavily to get the best price. Not sure if I would have bought it now, but they gave what I thought was a good deal. Also took advantage of the 4.9% finance so good deal overall. Here it is.

'06 Odyssey EXL
    26,895 (incl. dest)
    $85.00 mudguards
    $1250 8/120/0
    $197 title+lic.
    $1550 IL state tax
    $450ish Cook County and Chicago tax
    $30,000 give or take before the dents/ding, tire, VIN etching, and ext. clear coat protection and int. leather/vinyl/rug protection was added. If you decide
    not to do the protection packages, you may want to reconsider the VIN etching b/c our insurance agent said it saved us 5% on our premium.

If they don't give you a good deal on the extended warranty then you may want to try the hondacareguy that has been mentioned in other people's posts from Mike Pruitt Honda in Akron, OH who gave us the original quote for the warranty. He gave a wealth of info. and was easy to deal with. Since
    Brilliance was able to meet the same deal, the hondacareguy suggested to use them. What an honest guy, would have bought from him if Brilliance didn't match!

Good luck! What color are you going with?
    Hi brennanbills!

Thank you for the details! I got a similiar offer over the phone and will deal with them soon. I actually prefer a desert rock color, but they do not have that at this time. What they have in stock is a white and a red.

Glad that they will match the warranty price. I will probably get that too..

4 hours is a bit long for the paper work, but it's a good deal :)

Enjoy your new van!

- pete3721
  • iiiandlucyiiiandlucy Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an EX-L RES in Asheboro for 27,900 + ttt. Out the door was 29,200. Plus it had splash guards, wheels locks, and moon roof deflector already installed. I feel like we got a great deal. Depends on how much more I read...has anyone else gotten a better deal in NC???????
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    I saw the EX-L $26898 while invoice price is $28303. This is $1405 below invoice.

Is this normal or is this because they're trying clear 2006's?

When are 2007's coming in show rooms? Are the prices same or going up?

Thanks,
    Hi caravan2, where are you located?

From my search experience, some dealers are selling at deep discounted prices, like what you mentioned, to get rid of their lot inventory of the 2006. A dealer offered me $26750 for EX-L and said they are making space for the 2007.

The 2007 should be available in a couple of weeks. The price should be a couple of thousand dollars higher than what you get on the 2006 right now.
  • tinypoemtinypoem Member Posts: 26
    I just picked up a silver Odyssey EX with Cloth for $24,260 +ttl from Rock Honda in Fontana. No other dealership in OC or LA would even match that price. I got the quote via the internet dept and the dealership was really hassle free and very pleasant.
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    Thanks... I could go to Columbus, Cleveland, Lexington, Louisville. I don't mind going 100+miles if I get a good deal.

I'm hoping that in 2007 model Honda would fix those small problems that people complain about here.

I think when 2007 arrive, dealers probably will not come down much on the price. But, after the first deliveries they might be willing to negotiate. What do you think when would be good time to start shopping for 2007's.

Thanks,
  • renee_rnrenee_rn Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to the forum. Will hopefully get a new van soon. I saw your message and I'm assuming you're from NC. I am in Greenville. I am looking for a 2006 EXL--dvd or not doesn't matter to me--preferably white. I'm surfing the web to find the lowest price I can expect--will do some dealing!! Would you tell me where you have looked in NC and who you ended up going with?
    Thanks!
  • renee_rnrenee_rn Member Posts: 4
    I currently have a 2003 Kia Sedona EX......yep and looking for a 2006 Honda or Toyota. Kia was good for the first 2 or so years-but getting tired of it now. I really like the Honda better than Toyota--but will go with the best deal. I am interested in a 2006 EXL--white. Do all EXLs come with sunroof? Don't particularly want DVD (can purchase at Best Buy for cheaper), but will take it if deal is right. Hubby and I are going to start shopping soon and I just wanted to know what to expect with pricing? (We are in Greenville, NC) What is the lowest price I could offer without them laughing us out the door? Are 2006 prices starting to go down to make room for 2007--is now a good time to buy?
    Sorry for all the ?'s--just don't wanna get jipped!

Thanks!
  • iiiandlucyiiiandlucy Member Posts: 4
    Right now is a great time to buy--but the color selection is depleting quickly. Yes, all EX-L have a sunroof. Reconsider the Best Buy option, just my opinion but the system included is very nice and is not really that expensive. As far as where to look in NC..Asheboro Honda got my deal for me. It was better than any dealer I tried. Greensboro, High point, Winston Salem, Burlington, Charlotte(s). Everyone I talked to could not beat the price I got at Asheboro. The only thing I can say is check with Truliant Credit Union. My parents bought an 06 Pilot through them and got an amazing deal. You don't have to be a member to have them track a car for you and they deliver to your door for you. Good luck and don;t let them get you!!!!!!!!