Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    I never turn off my radio or heat or anything, and I've never had a problem starting my 01 ES. I suppose it might make a difference if its very very cold outside. I would guess that it might be the starter though. I would have it checked out.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>>>If you examine the leading/front edge of the spoiler you'll see its all flat, maybe 3/16"-1/4".
    Therefore it couldn't produce any lift/down force since all flow across the surface would be drag, i.e. turbulent, not laminar flow. <<<<

a SPOILER does what it name implies.
    It SPOILS the smooth flow of the air over the rear trunk area.
    A smooth flow of air would produce a lifting effect viz. the rear of the car will feel less planted on the road. In short, the spoilers job is to improve the contact between the rear tires and the road by SPOILING the smooth air flow.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    So the air crossing it would tend to push the trunk downward. So maybe it does have SOME function, even if nothing else than to keep the trunk closed if you left it open!

Meade
    Glad I am not the only one who felt that the "steering wheel" was not as tight at 80+ as it is at 65mph.

After lots of pondering, I believe this is caused due to the "toe-in" of the front wheels opening out with such high forces acting on it at that speed.

But the car steers great if you DO NOT try to grasp the steering wheel tightly.....just hold it lighty at those speeds ( i know it's supposed to be otherwise) and the car within itself does not seem to lose composure...it tracks straight and even.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    When I open the trunk lid (with the pull-handle inside my Pro), the lid does not spring up as it does in my Cavalier. Guess it must be due to the downforce of the "spoiler".
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    for most of the trip I was doing about 140kph but for the part when you get out of Quebec upto about Brockville, it was closer to 160. That was 4 years ago. Whould not do that now, cops are watching speeders alot more over the past few years.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    aerodynamics is an important part of car design. Unfortunately, one can't predict how modifications or add-ons will effect things w/o wind-tunnel testing [or at least seat of the pants experience. Effects are highly speed dependent. A spoiler that looks like it should decrease uplift might only work at very high speed, or may not work at all. Sometimes, manufacturers will offer designs because buyers like the way they look, regardless of functionality.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I have a 2001 ES with 7500mi and the Dunlop sport 5000's. There's an uneven stretch of highway on my commute .The PRO is the only car of the 3 that I own (including an 82 Jetta Diesel) that makes me bob up and down like a bottle in the ocean on this stretch. I'm doing around 60 usually. I know this car has a sport suspension and is built for handling etc. but I'm still trying to reconcile what that is supposed to give up in terms of a ride. Since I have never driven any of the other manufacturer's compacts of recent model years I don't know how to evaluate the PRO in this respect. Can we not have a car that has a sport suspension which damps out road bumps more quickly? I know many on this board have stated that the PRO does have a somewhat stiff ride, but I don't know how that compares with others. I don't like a car with a dead steering feel but I don't want to feel bumps either. Are these two opposing requirements?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Just saw an emerald green, gen3 Protege with GOLD badging...nameplate, Mazda logo, flying M....

Only saw it from behind, so couldn't see if there were any other gold accents...

Anybody else ever see this???
    ... electroplated in gold (real gold, mind you!) by a lot of aftermarket shops. I've seen them at my Mazda dealer, doing it to a Chrysler Sebring convertible. I have no idea how much it costs.

Meade
    my dealer offered this to me..the GOLD package....but for $250...I might have taken it..
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    A Protege with the dreaded gold trim-itis?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    even I experience this on the NJ turnpike... couple of miles...
    But I guess one cannot have a luxurious ride + sports suspension with $15,000.

upgrade to a merc or bimmer maybe the only option
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Over Gold
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Alex,

While I would not describe the movements of the Protege's suspension over uneven pavement as bobbing, it does not absorb the irregularities of the road in the same way as, say, an 82 Jetta Diesel. However, I prefer it to the undulatory motions of a large Buick any day. Essentially, no you can't have a Lexus like highway ride without sacrificing the ability to corner flatly, at least not without spending a lot more money than Proteges cost. Sporty suspensions are firm, and luxury suspensions are soft. In the middle is what is called "touring" which is what most people consider a happy medium. I would put the Jetta in this category, especially modern ones, even with their sport suspensions. The Protege has always had a slightly sportier suspension. With the 2001+ ES, it has actually become firm enough to be considered harsh by some people. If you really feel like you are bobbing like a Buick, I would have your suspension checked out. Also, make sure your tire pressure is 32psi cold. The Protege should have more sharply defined movements. You shouldn't bob more than once or 1 1/2 times.
    There's an uneven stretch of highway on my commute and my 2001ES (7500mi, original Dunlops) will bob like a bottle on the ocean over this stretch. It's very noticeable .I'm usually doing about 60-65. None of my other cars incl. an 82 Jetta has this much movement on the same stretch of road. I didn't drive any of the competition before buying the PRO and I don't really know what a sporty suspension is supposed to give up. Is good handling incompatible with good damping of road bumps?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    They must be some pretty hard bumps, because mine never bobbed. And you think the Protege hits bumps hard? Try a Jetta with Sport suspension and 17-inch tires. It's really harsh sometimes.
    I didn't see my first post, so thinking there was a problem posted again. I'll have to go over this stretch again with my Jetta and the Sable. It only happens on this section. I love the way the PRO tracks the road and would not want to give that up but there's a struggle in my mind whether I should have not gone with another Jetta. I didn't mainly because of the recent reliability issues. I haven't driven any of the new Jettas.
    "Quick crisp bounces" -- LOL!!!

No offense -- it just sounds funny when someone tries to describe such a subjective problem! It's like hearing someone trying to describe a noise their furnace is making or something.

Has anyone asked the guy how his shocks are doing?

Meade
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    I agree with Pat the host. Let's call the Honda vs. Protege debate a stalemate and stop debating ad nauseum about the relative merits or demerits of each car. A little discussion is good, this was getting too much.

The real point is that most people here love their Pro's. Some here may have owned Honda's and are not as impressed with them as you are. This is not a bad thing. As I mentioned, I have owned Honda's and have had great experiences with the vehicles. I have also had great experiences with Mazda.

I think what is starting to irk some people, and certainly myself, was that you were taking almost every opportunity to say how you thought Honda was better than Mazda. If this is your opinion, then good, just don't constantly go out of your way to point it out. Not everyone agrees with you so let it go. Essentially, it became like a broken record. I think I am almost intimate with your boyfriends 1993 Civic now. Great year for Civics by the way...:)

Anyway, you have a lot to contribute and have done so on most opportunities. Just try and keep the Honda this, and Honda that, to a minimum. You have my apologies in adance if i have offended in any way.
    Yah, i really struggled with how to phrase it...

That was the best i could come up with on short notice. I did mention the shocks. Just thought he may have been describing a condition which is quite normal for the car, but that his old "subjective" interpretation thought maybe there was a problem.
    Definitely get your shocks/springs checked, and I wouldn't have too much buyer's remorse about getting a Protege instead of a Jetta, but Paul may disagree...
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Everyone picks the car that they are happy with. Sometimes, they just don't pick it right the first time. :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Paul, are you actually saying the Pro is a cheap impersonation of the Jetta?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    :)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Thanks for the nice synopsis. No car will satisfy everyone. And sometimes, not any ONE car will satisfy a person. :)

Get one that fits you and your desires/needs.
    then why didn't you actually buy the Audi A4 version. Isn't the Jetta just the cheap impersonation of the Audi A4 since both are based on the exact same platform...

Just yanking your chain... :)
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    That last sentence was a cheap shot! I refuse to jump into a debate on Protege vs. Jetta though. I think we are all sick of defending our car for this week! It's Friday, so let's just let the good times roll!
    Keep Rollin, Rollin', Rollin'.....!!!! :)
    I'm ready to call it a week...

Anybody for suds and darts?
    It's the highway, fairly recently paved mind you, but it must be uneven. Yes it's 'quick crisp bounces' LOL - no swaying. By the way, I had my tires at 32, then the dealer put it back at 35 when I took it in for an align. said it would wear longer. Does any one have a recommendation for an accurate tire pressure gauge? I can get different readings with the ones I own. The local Firestone dealer said his electronic gauge cost a 100 bucks and it was accurate. Can I get a cheap gauge that is accurate within 1/4 psi?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    what are you maltb, on west coast time?

oh wait, you are...... nevermind....
  • silentguiltsilentguilt Member Posts: 35
    I am not complaining that the suspension is too stiff, that is what I have my 84 z51 vette to complain about. All my mechanical sense is that it is just something that I will have to get used to. But, I will have the dealer look at it when they check out why the airbag light is on.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Just to keep us on the straight and narrow... :-)

The current A4 is based on an all new platform refered to as the "B6."

The previous generation A4 was based on a shortened version of the "B5" platform which also carried the Audi A6 and the VW Passat.

Here's where it get's confusing... the Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Audi TT, S3 A3, and various Scoda's and Seats are all built off the corporate "A4" platform. "A4" the platform has nothing to do with "A4" the car.
  • mazdamikey75mazdamikey75 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about buying a Pro ES in the next few months. I drove it the other day and I found it has everything I need. I need to know how you owners feel about the reliablity, cost of ownership, long term seat comfort and overall satisfaction. Also, is the automatic tranny a Mazda design or is it the unreliable Ford unit used on the 626? Thanks to all who respond.
    where are you? tell mikey why the Pro is such a good choice.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Okay, thanks for explaining that to me...

Although, that still doesn't explain why people would want to do that to their perfectly nice Proteges...

And of course, no offense to anyone here who has done that, considered doing that, or who have relatives with Proteges who have done that, or......:)
  • rbrooks3athomerbrooks3athome Member Posts: 31
    I'm replacing the fronts right now but I see the new Pioneers have one wide and one slim bayonet clip. Which one is positive? And which one negative? The box and instructions say nothing!
    I assume the red wire in the car door is positive.
    Any help is appreciated.

ROn B.
    Aw, you guys are too much. You need to be old like me with 3 kids. Then you'd be home and on line instead of being out! I don't want to leave the car apart so I'm going to hook the red lead to the large bayonet clip on the speakers. I tried them and it worked so perhaps the side does not matter? I'll check back later and see what you all say.

Ron B.

Go Scuderia Ferrari!!!!
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    with the things I like about her car.

I like the seats, the way you sit straight up in it, the handling(more on that later), I LOVE THE WAY IT LOOKS, features, climate control, price (for a new car), arm rest, warranty (of course it's new) that's about all I can think of right now.

We bought it because of the looks. While it may not be MY cup of tea I like it for her. And the bobbing that you guys were talking about can be kinda annoying on some surfaces. I call it "yeah yeah right now gotta finda corner yeah yeah wheres a corner" handling. If only the engine were as good as the chassis this car would be perfect.

Oh yeah, we both love her car. What really made me look twice was someone posted something like "to keep an older car running you would be putting "car payment" type money into it every month. That's not true at all.
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    some people are trying to make it seem as if I am complete "anti-Protege". I'm not or obviously I would not have purchased one. There are good aspects of the car as fxashun just said, but there are also some areas where it could be improved. It's the same with any car unless you spend upwards of $50,000.

Would I rather have a Civic? Honestly, yes sometimes (like when I see my gas hand dropping after having a little fun or just cruising at 80 on a road trip). But there are times when I am convinced the Protege is the best small car out there bar none. Would I take a NEW Civic over my car? Probably not. It does have the mechanicals down better (such as the gearbox and engine refinement) but the styling is not my favorite and since I got 0.0% on the Protege, it's just not worth it. Where it gets more difficult for me is when I compare that $4500 96 Civic EX to my car or any other Civic up to year 2000 (especially a Si but those things are holding value like crazy).

I have not said anything untrue about the Protege .. just some things that a few of you don't agree with. I have not said that it's the worst car out there or that I hate it and can't stand to look at it another day. I've just pointed out a few "opportunity areas". If I had lived with a Civic for the past 8 months I would probably have a list of "opportunity areas" for it too. In fact, I already do. But the grass is always greener on the other side of the automotive fence.
    I love my Pro. It's an '01 LX 2.0 (Canadian model) with ABS, Air, and power locks. I've had it for just over 6 months now.

IIRC, the auto tranny is not the one from the 626, but I have the 5 speed manual so I can't say how well the auto works. The manual, however, is great. The handling is IMHO the best in its class.

In my personal experience and in car mag reviews, the Pro is extremely fun to drive. It definitely sticks out in its class in this regard.

Yes, the suspension is too stiff for some people. If you like mushy rides, I would look at another car. However, if you actually like driving, this is the car for you.

In terms of cost of ownership, I've only had to do regular maintenence (ie. oil changes)...however, since my car is black, I spend a ton of money trying to keep it clean!

One of the main reasons I bought this car was for reliability. Looking through Consumer Reports will show that this car is excellent in terms of long term reliability.

The seats are comfortable IMO and I have had no trouble with them. I've driven long road trips (approx. 7 hours) with only quick breaks, and I felt that the seat was very comfortable.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the Pro. Sure, it could use some more HP. However, for it's price point and the fact that it is in the "economy" class, I think the Protege is an amazing car.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your car buying decision and let us know how it goes!
  • reaglereagle Member Posts: 15
    Ron, do you have alarm in your car? If you do, its starter relay may be acting up and not letting you start the car..
    The car does have the factory shock sensing alarm. I'm going to have to gring it to the dealer in the next few weeks. Time to test out their "loaner car or we rent you a car" promise. I'll mention they should check the starter and the starter relay on the alarm.

Thanks.
    I could use your help on the rear speakers. I really wish that Edmunds had a search function. I was in the owners club and found the post you wrote about the front speakers 263, but can't find the rear deck.
    Now I find the post only a few down from #263. I must be losing it. OK, time to tackle the rears.
    OK, it's about 2:30 am here and I can't hook up the rear speakers. That's because I can't figure out which line is pos or neg in the rear. The stock speakers have no markings at all. The lines are the same in the cvar, one has a solid stripe on it and the other a pair of dots that are spaced about 1/4" on down the wire. I've looked at several websites that all say the solid stripe should be the pos. But I don't know if that's correct. Anyone know?

I'm going to bed and I'll check the board in the morning.

Ron B.
    I dunno Ron! Maybe a multi-meter? Sorry!
  • number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    Well I finally picked up my Pro. For those that might not remember, I bought a '02 LX with Moonroof, alarm, Auto and allow wheels. In the 3 days since I've had it I've already put in about 300 miles (It started with the Odo at 3 miles).

A few Comments:
    I'm noticing that if I stay even at 60mph, the tach is at a level 2600rpm. now since you guys seem to talk about much higher RPMs, I am rather confused about all this.

The handling is wonderful. In the 3 days, it has already manuevered me out of several accidents (did I mention I am also a new driver, driving in and around NYC?).

Finally a questions: Are the Mudflaps and Cargonet Accesories easy to put on (without a service visit?)
    The mud flaps were a breeze. The cargo net required some drilling, so I would say it is slightly more difficult. The difficult part was figuring out where exactly the directions wanted you to drill. They may have improved the directions since then. I would order the accessories, and then decide whether you want to install them yourself based on how comfortable you feel with what the directions say to do.