Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I've heard this mentioned before but I have noticed that if you don't stop filling at the first stop there is a signifacant amount of room for gas. The needle should go a ways above the last "F" line. However I never do this unless I know I'm going to drive it out. It might increase the gas mileage issues that people have noticed. Personally I'm gettin around 26 combined city/hwy.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Just try to fill-up at the same pump. This should reduce tank-to-tank variance.

Anyway, you may damage the emissions-control equipment in the fuel tank assembly due to flooding with gasoline. Not worth the little extra gas you can stuff in.

Also, the EPA publishes a booklet listing ratings of many vehicles. It also specifies how the ratings are attained (i.e., what constitutes local driving and what makes for highway driving). If you drive more or less aggressively, then your mileage will vary (pun intended).

What they don't specify is how you shift during those tests. I thought someone mentioned here that the Corvette gets its economy ratings much higher than actual by shifting from first to fourth directly, keeping the engine revs lower and economy higher than the typical driver would ever see. A little dishonest, no?

Anyway, with my 1.6L AT, I get anywhere from 22mpg to 34mpg, depending on how I drive it. I could probably match Fowler's 36mpg, but can't control myself enough. :)
  • Options
    I got Pioneer TS-A6999s in the rear. They're 6x9. You can get more bass due to the greater air movement versus a 6.5 round, but there is more distortion. Heck, with bass, a little distortion isn't noticeable to me.

I'll check my accessories brochure when I get home. Ditto the speaker terminals.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Interesting - someone just pointed out that leather is now an available option with the P5, online at mazdausa.com

I did a little digging, and found that an optional sport mode four speed transmission (shiftmatic etc) is also available. No further info.

Names of some colors have also changed (it seems). This may be old news, but an indash minidisc player is also available.

Great start so far - eliminated the wheezy 1.6l, added options for those who want them, and now they need to keep their promise and deliver a Mazdaspeed version, turbo, possibly AWD (?) with more goodies!

Anyone know when the new options will 'actually' be on sold cars? audia8q?
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I average around 26 in the "city" on my 2001 ES 5 speed. The last trip I took I got 32. Previous trips were a little less. When driving alone (I carpool with my wife), I tend to shift just past 4000 RPMs so I hit the torque peak. We don't get "winter" gas here in NC as far as I know. In the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), we are supposed to start getting ethanol instead of MTBE in the gas sometime this year. I don't know if that will change the fuel economy at all, but it is supposed to stop pollution of the water table, so I guess that is a good thing.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Never actually measured it, but it's slightly worse than the 1.5 on the 93 Civic and guess what? I'll rather have the PRO than the Civic even though I probably saved about $10 in gas/mth.

Dinu
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    but let me tell you how much better a 1975 Civic 1.5 is than a 2001 Pro...
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    maltb? And just try to find a Civic that old!

Regardless of make, I never see 20 year old Civics, Accords, Camrys -- much less older models. When Audi Foxes were suppose to be such fine cars it was amazing how quickly they disappeared from dealer lots and on the streets.

Later I heard that dealers stopped carrying older cars. You couldn't find a $1000 car on lots. They send them to the shreaders. The day of the Jallopy are gone for teenagers. My first car wouldn't pass inspection in Bagladesh today. LOL

Speaking of insurance, my premium on the '98 Honda Odyssey was $285 bi-annually; when I bought the '01 Pro LX it jumped to $322, and this year it's $350 bi-annually. I checked with AARP/Hartford recently which brags about low premiums for seniors -- it's $438 bi-annually! No thanks. Being an adult has nothing to do with it.

fowler3
  • Options
    take getting use to. The pressure you are use to applying in an Civic or an Accord, you need to double in an* Pro. They aren't easy to modulate, this is in a Pro LX with front discs and rear drums. Although I found they do very good compared to the four-wheel discs on the '98 Odyssey,a much heavier car.

(* When did they change the language in saying *in an Accord* as opposed to *in a Accord*? BigH, is the Queen's English elbowing in on us again? Southerners have their own language.)

Not only do you have to press down much harder you have to hold the pedal down at the stop or the Pro will creap forward on you.

Once you get use to it, your confidence builds.

fowler3
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    "I just can't see a long term relationship with this car."
    by Fritz1224

Yea, the sooner your negative attitude vacates this board the better.

-Larry
  • Options
    I'll try to do better.

Please enjoy your base 2002 Honda Accord LX. :-)

If you need any advice on Honda's, I'm sure that Zoom Zoom person can give you excellent advice.
    :-)

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • Options
    windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    And yet Mazda would have you believe all its cars, even the MPV fercryingoutloud, somehow possess the spirit of a sports car. Under these circumstances, you can scarcely blame someone for trying to whip it through the twisties at nine-tenths.

Or, to put it another way: If you're not gonna Zoom Zoom, you may as well go buy a Dodge and be done with it.
  • Options
    twistinmelontwistinmelon Member Posts: 90
    I tried to resolve this privately, but no go apparently.

Do you really think it was me who said the stuff you're "quoting", or are you just so wrapped up in overcompensating for your recent episode of doubt/fear that you aren't paying attention?

At least you edited your post so it wasn't quite as ridiculously hostile as the original version.

You paid $17k for your Pro, or so you have posted. I can get an Accord LX for $17.5. I don't know if I will, but I might. I don't consider them direct competition, since the Pro is a sporty economy car and the Accord is a family sedan that is more fun to drive than most. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how you can call an Accord LX a "stripper"? Unless I misread that and you're saying Accord LX's come with a stripper.

Calm down, pal. I didn't insult your wife, burn the flag, or violate your beagle. I just said the Pro wasn't my cup of tea and I provided my reasons. If you dispute something I wrote, let's discuss.

twist
  • Options
    a Dodge and be done with it. God forbid!! A Dodge?
    Sheeesh! I don't want to spend the rest of my life zooming, or being towed, into Dodge service departments.

I was looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee this afternoon as I enjoyed refreshment in a local cafe and thought about what a nice 4X4 it use to be, until Chrysler got a hold of it and put its drivetrain in.

fowler3
  • Options
    today from AARP/Hartford on their insurance. I'm paying $700 a year now. The quote was $856! The only difference in the insurance...guarateed New Car Replacement if my current car is totaled.

Let's see, if my '01 Pro LX sustains $10,000 in damages I get a new Pro. My question: Would I survive that big a wreck? I doubt it.

What do you guys think?

fowler3
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Today I noticed my right headlight doesn't work! I realized the headlight was dead when I turned on the switch, so I thought it was just the bulb. Remember those Nokya Arctic White bulbs I had taken out? They were in my glove box, so I replaced both sides. Went to turn on the switch again...DEAD. The left headlight is fine but the right one is still dead. So it wasn't the bulb... It was 9PM at night and very cold (30-something) so I just said forget about it and drove home with one of my Nokya bulbs lighting the road.

What could this be? Fried wiring harness? I looked at the wiring and it doesn't look melted/frayed at all, I don't know what could be wrong. I knew I had those 90 watt Nokya's in there for a couple months but I took them out and put the GE bulbs back in. I'll schedule an appointment with the dealer, and while I'm there I guess I'll get my brake pads replaced while I'm at it.

:(

BTW - Aren't brake pads supposed to last quite a bit longer than 31K miles???

• Options
    zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    a "base" Accord LX more than a Protege. An Accord comes with a 2.3L 150HP engine that gets better gas mileage than the Protege, it has way more room, has front and rear cupholders, auto-off head lamps, it's safer, it has a better 5-speed, and it's not nearly as temperamental as the Protege is when it's cold. The only thing an Accord might be lacking is the sunroof ... which if it's that important to you can get a certified pre-owned Accord for the same price as a new LX with 5.9% financing and a 7 yr/100k warranty.

You might be able to compare Protege to a Civic but don't compare a Protege to an Accord. That just wouldn't be prudent.

Yours Truly,

That Zoom Zoom Person
  • Options
    I wish the Honda lovers pretending to be Mazda experts, would just go away. This used to be an awesome board. Nothing worse than NO IT ALLS, they are just sad and very boring.

-Larry
  • Options
    How can they be the same price? The cheapest Accord in Canada is $23,800 before taxes and that 8.6% of a joke financing.

My 2001 PRO ES was $24,192 ($504/48 mths $0 down w/2.9%) taxes and interest charges included. It would have cost me $31,000 to buy the "base" 4cyl Accord last July when I got the PRO.

So are the prices in the US the same for a base Accord and a top of the line PRO? Seems a little "off" to me.

Cheers!~
    Dinu
  • Options
    Please, do not encourage, them.
  • Options
    sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    Twist, I can respect the fact that the Pro isn't for everyone. I don't find the suspension that harsh, myself, but I consider cars like Buicks and big Lincolns the ultimate evil--I *hate* cushy suspensions in big cars and body roll in small cars. Doesn't mean the stiff Pro is for everyone. You might look at the LX, though, which isn't quite as stiff as the ES.

Your comment on brakes, however, astonished me. My P5 has discs all around, ventilated in front, which I'm pretty sure is the same as the ES (plus I have EBD), and my car stops on a dime. I've never driven anything that I felt stopped faster. Something really seemed amiss there. I've also not had the "creeping" that fowler described, but then I drive a stick. Still, I never noticed it in my wife's LX auotmatic, either.

And no serious Focus-bashing from me. There was no Focus version that fit my needs when I bought (the ZX5 wasn't out yet), so I can't compare in terms of perfomance. I will admit the number of recalls that the Focus has seen didn't make me want to look that hard in the first place, but I suspect most of those issues have been addressed.

I would be surprised if the real cost of ownership on an Accord was the same as a Pro, though. I've never had a conversation with a Honda dealer that indicated they were interested in selling at anything other than MSRP "because everybody wants a Honda" (ugh), whereas I paid basically invoice for my two Pros, and got much better financing than I would expect from a Honda dealer. That was on a Civic, though, and perhaps they're more flexible on Accords, I don't know.
  • Options
    tradrcttradrct Member Posts: 7
    I replaced my front brake pads around 18k miles (yes, seriously..) they were squeaking quite a bit pretty much anytime the car was in motion, which is.. what I would call "brake wear indication".. I didn't even bother looking at the pads I knew they were needed..

The replacement pads, so far so good.. I guess when I first got the car I was heavy on the middle pedal when zoom-zooming.. :)

from what I have heard 35-40k is normal for the first front brakes to be replaced.. the rears.. uh.. not for a very long time (90k or more maybe)..

I'm so sick of conventional halogen bulbs I've been mix matching the remaining couple of bulbs I have left in my stockpile in order to not have to go out and buy another pair.. I get 80/80 and 90/100 DRAIN not so called "90/100 performance" bulbs and I'm lucky to get 5 months out of them even with my direct-to-battery wiring harness :(

David
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Ashu ... The leather option for the P5 is already here, at least in my town. There's a brand-new P5 in my parking deck with leather seats. The Tiptronic transmission is supposed to be here this month or next, according to my dealer.

Twist ... I think the problem is that yes, you've stated your opinion, which is fine, but you KEEP stating your opinion over and over. We heard you the first several times. If you're really unhappy, it's time to stop complaining to us and trade your car for something that will make you happy.

Meade
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    so little time. Isn't it the greatest thing that we have so many cars to choose from? I would die if we all had to drive the same car. Thats why I don't understand why everyone gets so defensive everytime something is said about this car or that car. Different things appeal to different people. I now own a Honda Civic, Mazda P5, and Pontiac Sunfire Convertible(for 3 more weeks). There are things I like better about each car. I'm not really brand loyal at all. I buy what fits my need and what I like. In the latest case the PRO 5 fit that need and it's what I liked.
    I hope we continue to debate the differences between cars, thats what alot of people are here for, to help them decide what to buy. But the constant defensive bashing is getting really really old.
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Not to encourage this sort of thing, but from Edmunds price guide, I would conclude that you could get a base Accord for less than a Protege ES. However, it would be very stripped of content in comparison. The Accord LX is a better comparison with respect to content. They are similar in interior room and performance. The Protege costs over $2000 less, assuming you could get the Accord for invoice. Anything beyond that is opinion and personal preference. If you would like to compare for yourself, go to:

http://www.hondacars.com/models/accord_sedan/competitive.html

• Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Twist's original post (#8654) was in no way disrepectful.

We heard from him a couple more times, as he was responding to comments from others. Again, I thought the whole conversation was pretty civil. No Protege-bashing involved, just personal preferences expressed and observations noted.

Are you guys reading some Protege board in an alternate universe? :):):)

Love and kisses,
    Chicagopro
  • Options
    cowhandcowhand Member Posts: 4
    I think this guy has some kind of bi-polar condition. Problem tranny invokes getting rid of both pros. Fixed tranny-everything is right with the world.
    Facts are what interest me, not emotional involvement. Don't try to chase away people with opinions not perfectly aligned with yours. Makes for a very boring Forum.
  • Options
    zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    I'm not calling you bi-polar protegextwo but it does seem that a few members of the board get very defensive if you dare to find any negatives with their beloved Proteges. The Protege is not a perfect car. But it's a pretty good $15,000 car. boggse:

I actually went to www.carsdirect.com (you can buy the cars directly from them) and an Accord LX was $17,100 while a Protege ES was $14,800 but that included the $1500 rebate that you can't get if you choose the 0.0% financing for 48 months.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It's available on the ES model as well as the Protege5. Since they all have the same engine, I wonder why it doesn't come on all of the Proteges? It would have made sense last year, when some were 1.6 models, but not now.

Now all they need to do is add the turbo and traction/stability control, and the Protege will be a serious contender for the 1.8T Jetta (at least in performance).
  • Options
    I agree with you, twist plainly stated his respectful opinions. While I may not agree on all points, he most certainly is entitled to prefer one car over another.

Comparison is good, but I think we have to be careful about arguing over the subjective.
  • Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    C'mon folks, let's get a grip. If you love your Protege, then who really cares what someone else feels about the car. The point is, you love it.

I don't think Twistinmelon was being negative. He gave his/her reasoning and didn't bash. Fact is, the Pro will not appeal to everyone. So be it.

This whole Honda/Mazda debate is growing even older too. I admit i even got stuck in the middle of it as well. I used to be a dedicated Honda driver. My first ever car was a CRX Si and i owned a Civic SiR before i bought my WRX. My wife has the 2000 Pro ES. Anyway, to me at least, Honda quality has deteriorated immensely with de-contenting and the move to North American OEM supply, parts and labour. Does this mean they are bad cars? No way. They are still far, far better than most, but just do not suit my tastes anymore.

Here are two links specific to Honda issues with quality and the Civic.

hondasmonda "Honda Civic Quality Control Issues" Jun 12, 2001 6:08pm

"Honda Civic Problems" Mar 4, 2002 9:00pm

Anyway, i'm rambling now. My whole point is that people have different tastes and different needs for choosing the vehicles that they do. As long as someone doesn't come in here and constantly harp, or bash a car, why worry about it. Healthy debate is good, the stuff happening here lately is just silly. Let's stop.....

P.S.- I have been quilty too of bashing the Focus in the past, but have stopped. I don't think I can ever understand though why anyone who researches a vehicle would choose to buy one that has so many quality and build issues. Regardless, that is their decision.....
  • Options
    and beer too. :) Not to mention that our Beavers can kick an American beavers big tail anyday...provided the American beaver isn't already carrying a semi-automatic firearm.

Sorry, a little levity is a good thing.... :)

A HOCKEY POEM

> > It was a 5-2 loss that started the bleeding
    > > A loss to Mats and his country of Sweden
    > > Next up, it's easy - but just a 3-2 win
    > > Over a bunch of young fellas from United Berlin
    > > They can't hit the net, they can't even pass it
    > > There's no chance in the world they're gonna beat Hasek
    > > It's the bloody big ice, it's a number of things
    > > They don't want it as much, they got their cup rings
    > > But a 3-3 tie, with a late goal you would like
    > > Scored by none other than Joe Nieuwendyk
    > > The one that they thought was too slow and too old
    > > Has not given up the quest for hockey gold.
    > > Then things started changing, all for the best
    > > They beat Selanne and Finland, lets take on the rest.
    > > Then Sweden was next, they'd better get loose
    > > But the Swedes were beaten by who... Belarus!
    > > And then the ladies came from out of the blue
    > > Against the favored Americans, knew what to do
    > > The Yanks threw our flag on the floor they were told
    > > So they captured our hearts and brought back the gold
    > > Then suddenly the Great One, our hero of youth
    > > Told the hockey world the absolute truth
    > > He said they don't like us, they want us to lose
    > > We need to get meaner and inflict the odd bruise
    > > So a North American Final was set, us and the States
    > > This time they were ready, they laced up their skates
    > > This game was about skill, speed, and the odd chance
    > > It would not be decided by a dumb judge from France
    > > The yanks scored first, we sucked in our chest
    > > But our boys came out and they played their best
    > > Sakic, Lindros, Iginla, Lemeiux
    > > And Gold is ours... Canada, 5 Yanks, 2
    > > Despite the bad press and media opinions
    > > We danced in the street like crazed Palestinians
    > > From Victoria to St. John's we screamed and we shouted
    > > Like Don Cherry predicted, the Yanks... they were routed
    > > When we play hockey there is no English or French
    > > There is no division among us; it's just the guys on the bench
    > > They played the game for our Country, they played it true
    > > And on behalf of the Country I say thank you.
    > > For this game is now ours, there is no longer a debate
    > > About the lack of finesse or the way that we skate
    > > This nation of Canada has gotta' lot of class
    > > But if you wanna' play hockey ... we'll kick your [non-permissible content removed]!
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
  • Options
    So long as it's factual. If it weren't for the postings etc., then it'd be more difficult for people to find out the issues.
  • Options
    Narrow blade = ground.
    Wire with continuous stripe = ground.

Sorry, I thought the Protege accessories brochure would list the Kenwood speaker models, but don't (Mazda P/N instead). At least they're 3-ways. Still, they should post their performance data.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Hockey Schmockey
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    for those Protege owners that like motorsports, the 2002 Speed World Challenge Touring Car Season will have AT LEAST 7 Proteges entered for the season. One that hasn't been listed is Roger Foo, which is rumored to be switching from his homegrown 93 Honda Civic HB to a sponsored Protege5!

Here's the link to the Touring Car entry list for the upcoming season, go Proteges!

(gonna go set my VCR to tape the races :D)

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2002/entrylist-tc.html
  • Options
    How do you get those little nationality flags next to your names???
  • Options
    Change your profile to say which country that you're from.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    gandalf: flags are in your profile. If you log in, click on your name, you should be able to edit your profile to designate a country.

cowhand: um, perhaps there might have been a less inflammatory way to express your frustration.
  • Options
  • Options
    duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    it's a balmy -27ºC (windchill included) with about 20 cm of snow here in beautiful Calgary. All this "great" weather has me thinking about waxing the pro...what kind of wax do all u folks use??? (sorry if i'm revisiting this issue...i'm sure this has been discussed b4...)

thanx all,
    'duh'
  • Options
    You're gonna try to wax now? IMO, that's nuts!! Anyway, I've been trying out "nu-finish" because it is supposed to be long lasting. I knew that I wouldn't be able to wax once winter hit, so I waxed up real good back in November.

Anyway, I think that in terms of shine, there are much better waxes than Nu-finish (ie Merguiar's), but I was going for durability here.

How do you like our roads Mike? Pretty great, eh? It took me 15 minutes longer to get to work, and I drove in 2nd gear almost the whole way. :(
    AND, we are supposed to be getting MORE snow!!! ARRRRGGGGHHH!!
  • Options
    Ouch guys! It's been cold here too, but thankfuly no snow in Toronto.

Mike: Waxing in -27? Dude you must inhaled some of that wax last time you did it if you're considering it in that weather :)

Dinu
  • Options
    no doubt...i was ripping down glenmore at 40km/h! slip sliding all over the place too...hopefully, by the time the day is done, the sanding crews will do their job.

the only reason i ask about wax is cuz my pro is DIRTY..with about 17 different layers of dirt! i just came back from a long weekend in edmonton and was hoping to wash my car, but then we get this huge dump of snow. i wish i had waxed my car before winter started too...but i had that "paint antifade" stuff professionally applied when i bought my car. in hindsight, it was the worst thing i ever got done on my car! USELESS stuff...the guy who applied it even told me "it lasts about 5 months" to which I replied "huh? but it's got a lifetime warranty!" He came back with "oh...well, then I guess it's good for the life of the car then..." (ok, i'll stop ranting now...sheesh, u'd think i was wayne gretzky or something...) ;)
    'duh'
  • Options
    I'm cold at +27C, even +37C. LOL

Yeah, all this comparing cars is old. Different strokes for different folks I always say. That's why they make so many dry cereals.

fowler3
  • Options
    Hahahahaahaha!
    What's this "paint antifade" crap? Did you get it done at the dealer, or aftermarket? The part about the lifetime warranty had (has) me laughing!
  • Options
    98.6 F is cold for you Jim?
  • Options
    i had it done aftermarket. i called around and got the "best price". here, i was thinking it'd be a spray on chemical or something like that...but i watched the guy apply it. it was applied JUST like a wax!!! so, he swirled it on and buffed it to shine. how can that crud last a lifetime??? like i said, not exactly my proudest moment...it was 6 months ago...and i guess i was more gullible back then! i don't remember the name, exactly, but i do remember that it was pink.
  • Options
    Works pretty well. Better than NuFinish, IMO, but NuFinish is good too. May have to go back since very few folks stock the Bullet Wax (Prestone product), and I have only 1.5 bottles left.

However, I like to wait until it's at least above freezing. :)