Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Well, I suppose it is good that you live in North Carolina, but, if you moved further south, you could be comfortable more than 1 month per year.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    And NO, I didn't stop and think what a wonderful morning it would be to wax my car! Actually, mine's still looking nice (and water's still beading well) on the Meguiar's Gold Class job I did prior to MAPP II back in October.

Meade
    I spoke with a friend who owns an MP3. He says that his rear speakers are labeled KFC-6906 on the magnet. Since this model won't fit under a 2001 Protege rear deck, I have to assume that they were a special version of the KFC-6906 with lower profile midrange & tweeter. If this is the case, my only option is to buy them from Mazda. Mazdastuff.com has them for $137. List price on the KFC-6906 is $90. I hate to spend $47 extra for something that is functionally identical, but my hands seem tied. The only other option I have been able to find is the Bazooka M690, but that is even more expensive. Any ideas?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Hard to test how well my wax is doing based on beading since snow doesn't tend to bead up all that well!! Lol!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Giant McDonald's coke all over the passenger floor mat (and some on carpeting underneath).

Any suggestions?

Aside from stop being such a klutz?

(and I won't even tell you about how I then fell backwards into the snow trying to clean everything up...no, nothing in the cup besides Coke :)
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    Mazdafun, where'd you find the bullet wax? According to Prestone's web site, it's not part of their product line anymore, and I can't find a single place around here that stocks it.
    Get that mat home and spray some foaming carpet cleaner on it -- be liberal and let it soak for a while. Then scrub it with a scrub brush and rinse the whole thing thoroughly. Don't let that Coke dry on it -- it'll be much harder to remove! I know -- I had to get that sticky, dried mess out of the floormats in my wife's Cavalier before we traded it last month!

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Oh Dale, thats an awful thing. Stop being a klutz, lol.... And you fell in the snow, why can't there be camera's everywhere we go (oh yeah, there is, but only the government knows). And I know I'm not helping you here, but I've never spilled Coke all over my floor mat. I suppose you can let it dry and try a little carpet cleaner. By the way, what did you have with the giant Coke, I sure could use a quarter pounder with cheese right now.....
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    doesn't mean it's not an open container ;) That was gonna be my suggestion - no rum in the giant coke next time :) Otherwise there's not much you can do execpt use towels to soak up the mess and let it dry out naturally. It'll possible leave your floor a bit sticky/stiff/smelly. Once it's dry you can try scrubbing with a wet (water) towel. Ideally I suppose you could use a steam carpet cleaner or carpet shampooer if you had one.

Reason #20486 why I don't eat in my car.
    Well, if you have a heated garage, I would take it to get the carpet steam cleaned, then let it dry over the weekend with the windows open. Other options include taking a trip to El Paso, getting it cleaned there, and driving home with the windows down. Actually, your best bet is to rent one of those steam cleaners yourself and use a hair dryer on low heat to dry it. One caveat: with the way the carpet is glued to the body, I don't know how steam cleaning will effect it.
    Gentlemen:

Thanks so much for your prompt and (mostly :) helpful responses.

It might freeze before I get it home...it's sitting out in the car right now.

For the record, I wasn't eating in the car...made a lunch run for myself and a couple of co-workers. Girl at the drive-thru window handed me one of those crappy paper cup holders with all three giant cokes in it...too hard for me to maneuver onto the floor next to me. Next thing I know, I'm in the middle of a freakin flood.

Hmmmm....maybe I should make McDonald's replace my floor mats? Or give me new visors?
    ;););)
    If you can get millions of bucks for spilling your coffee ...

;-)

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I got it a while ago at Autozone.

I guess Prestone stopped making it. Too bad. Did well in a CR test.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Cowpoke (steve johnson), have you ever introduced yourself on this board? Didn't think so. Just a troll. Your opinions, have ZERO value to me. Save your breath. :-)

Zoom Zoom whatever (cindy bennet), your a poser. I will not respond to any of your future posts. You have turned this discussion into a Honda vs. Protege Comparo. I just wish, you would sell your Mazda and post elsewhere. :-)

These are MY opinions.

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Someone's on the Protege war path today, it looks like...
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    was expecting a BMW or an Audi when he went to the Mazda dealer, based upon the opinions of Protege lovers.
    well, what he saw was a neat car that was not as luxurious as a BMW or an AUDI and was disappointed.
    and obviously he is not a sports fan, so no HARD rides.

twist....the brakes do not stick like other cars. That is what is great about them. They apply ONLY as HARD as you PUSH them.

U are better off getting a corolla whose brakes stick the moment you touch them......no modulation...
    Hmmmm...not feeling too much love from the Old Love Train today.

I totally agree that the Lone Ranger was out of line.

And yes, certain people have certain opinions about their H's, but these same people sometimes have useful things to contribute to the discussion about cars in general. We all agree that comparisons ad infinitum (ad nauseum?) are getting old.

Are you sure you didn't just spill Coke all over your car and fall down in the snow?

Cheer up, buddy, it's already Tuesday!

Love and kisses,
    Chicagopro
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Are you inflicting group hugs on this topic again?

lol
    Ooops!

Is inflicting group hugs your job, malt?

Sorry...didn't mean to step on your toes!

:)
    lol...definitely not today.

I sense that there are lots of bowls of wheaties that have been pissed in.
    Um, yes...exactly what I was going to say...sort of :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's stop with the personal digs, folks - we're getting way out of bounds.

I do think that some of us need to respect the fact that this is a dedicated Protegé discussion. We've talked about this before - some comparison in a dedicated discussion is inevitable and not usually a problem. However, we've let comparisons overtake this discussion for quite some time now. We need to move on.

Some of you are also participating in the appropriate conversations on the Comparisons board. For now, let's continue there and let this discussion get back to just the Protegé... without the animosity, please.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    to all the love that used to be in this room? Everyone's getting mean now. :) Just kidding. But seriously, I haven't seen postings this hostile in awhile.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Starting to sound like one of those comparo (p***ing match) boards around here. :)

Anyways, yes, valid points brought up about various vehicles. Isn't having such a wide selection a good thing?

Re: the leather option on the P5. No big deal for me. I figure it's a competitive response to the Elantra GT. I'm willing to give the manumatic a try, although the contortions in the shift gate look potentially annoying. When will Mazda decouple the ABS/side airbag option from the moonroof? I want the ABS/side airbags, but DO NOT want the moonroof. I simply will not fit into most vehicles with a moonroof. Well, that's my personal pet peeve. Probably doesn't bother most folks.

And to help bring up the festivity factor:

XOXOXOXOXO ;)
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    After owning a car with leather for a while I've decided that I like high quality cloth better. I always found myself worrying about scratching it and then trying to find a product to help keeps it clean and protected. Way to much of a pain. The only thing that I don't like about the seats in my P5 is the fact that they pick up a lot of lint. Although the same quality that picks up lint makes me stick nicely to the seats around corners. (wild grin)

Let me FEEL the Love people!

Shrique
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Thanks to all of you who explained how to get the little nationality flag next to your name. I tried changing my profile and I highlighted my country to Canada and it still didn't work. NOw I'm trying again....hope this works.
    Thanks again to everyone!
    Pain to maintain...pain to pay for....but most of all a pain to stay firmly stuck in your seat when you're throwing the Pro around tight corners at high speed... :) Not that anyone ever does that, right??? Ha, ha... :)

I find that you slide too much on leather. They didn't even offer it on my WRX, which is fine by me. I will admit though that leather looks pretty sweet on some cars. The leather (if you can call it that) in the Elantra GT is well, unlike any leather i have ever felt before. I'll call it PLEATHYL---part plastic, part leather, part vinyl....
    Not that this should mean anything, but I swear by Nufinish. It's the only wax i will use on my cars. I also use it on an old fiberglass yellow Searay and get tons of comments on the shine and colour gloss from other boaters. Very few believe she is a 1980.

I think NUfinish works better on fiberglass than sheet metal, but it still gives an excellent shine. Some waxes like Macguir's did give a better shine, that is, before i permanently switched to Nufinish, but none lasted as long and protected the car as good. Put on 2 coats of Nufinsh over the course of say 2 weeks and the wax will literally last for months at a time.

Anyway, just my humble opinion.
    lol

Thanks for increasing the festivity factor!
    Olympic story

Two Americans boarded a flight out of Salt Lake after the hockey game.

One sat in the window seat and the other sat in the middle seat. Just before take-off, a Canadian got on and took the aisle seat.

After take-off, the Canadian kicked his shoes off, wiggled his toes and was settling in when the American in the window seat said,
    & I think I'll get up and get a beer.
    "No problem", said the Canadian,
    "I'll get it for you."

While he was gone, one of the Americans picked up
    the Canadian's shoe and spat in it. When he returned with the beer, the other American said, "That looks good; I think I'll have one too."

Again, the Canadian obligingly went to fetch it and while he was gone, the other American picked up the other shoe and spat in it. When the Canadian returned to his seat, they all sat back and enjoyed the flight.

As the plane was landing, the Canadian slipped his feet into his shoes and knew immediately what had happened.
    "Why does it have to be this way?" He asked. "How long must this go on? This fighting between our nations,This hatred, This animosity?

This spitting in shoes and pissing in beers!!"

Cheers....
    LaBatt's tasted that way...
    That's just what we export...heheheheheh
    that was in a Vancouver pub.
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    The comparison deal was over by a good 20 posts.
    Yeah, how 'bout the fact that I can't live here 24/7? I should probably be strung up for dereliction of duty, right?

;-)
  • cowhandcowhand Member Posts: 4
    might help clear that colon out procto2. Probably feel a lot better then.
    Opinions and facts are two different things but some have difficulty differentiating the two. yahoo!! little doggie.
    Not interested in joining the clique so no need to introduce myself. I can post and read any time the urge suits.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Easy buddy! Now I'm glad it's back under control. Well almost... except for Dale's snow escapade and our Canadian-made beer :)

Tim (gandalf17): Where do you get all those classic Canadian jokes from?

Dinu
    For real folks, let's talk about the car and not each other.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    As of now, we are stopping the personal comments.

There is no need for anyone to try to explain their position further, we are done with it, and we are going to resume our discussion of the Protege. This conversation will not include every other car - or every other personality - under the sun.

Please move on.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    on that note, it's 5:40pm in the west and looks like as good of a time as any to go home. I hope tomorrow is half as exciting and lots of good PROTEGE stuff is talked about.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Can you answer the question I posted in the Maintenance and Repair section?
  • rbrooks3athomerbrooks3athome Member Posts: 31
    OK, so now that I've caught up on my posts it seems I may have 2 problems. Both easily curable. 1) I now know that the solid line on the wires in the rear are for negative. So, I have the polarity reversed on the new speakers. Easily changed and I'll do that now. The second thing is that I noticed the speakers have less bass than I thought. I now know that this is a function of one of two things. One, the polarity being reversed, ro the tweeter is hitting the stock cover. I will check but I believe it's the polarity.

My '02 has the child seat anchors that everyone speaks of and they dont affect anything. As far as removing the rear cover on the deck, they stay bolted to the rear steel frame and the entire cover comes off just like Madzdafun's post said on the earlier models. Second, the fact that they exist at all does not appear to have any effect on the plastic deck lid cover depth as far as the speakers are concerned. To access them, there's a small pop up latch. Nothing is lowered on the rear deck because of them. But. I'll check now and let you all know. I was thinking I might need a small 35wattx2 amp for the rears. Now I hope it's the deck lid or the polarity.

Ron B.
  • rbrooks3athomerbrooks3athome Member Posts: 31
    Just my .02 but there is no difference noted in my manual on the 02 models at all except the ES gets 4 whl disc and lower profile 16" tires and rims. That's what made me get it. That along with the "poor man's" A4 interior. I liked it and think it looks great. The engine is the same as is the suspension. I would like to say I got stiffer springs or struts but that's not the case.

Ron B.
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    I'm coming up to the 30,000 mile mark and I was wondering if anyone has had it done some where besides the dealer. I'd trust my dealer to do the job at a fair price, but I'm about 1600 miles away in South Florida and I'm a little hesitent to go to a dealer down here if I can get the same job done somewhere else for much less.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I looked in the M&R section and didn't see your question.

maltb aid: 98.6 F is cold for you Jim?
    Is that what +27C is? Well, actually, 98.6F is 2 degrees above my normal body temperature so it's just slightly warm. ;)

It's 70F in my computer room now and I'm cold. Have a radiant heater going.

Another thing about the Protegé, it has a great heater! Toasty warm in no time. The cast iron block keeps the coolant hot so you don't have to wait for heat after leaving the car parked for 30 or 40 minutes. That was the one thing I didn't like about cast aluminum blocks...you know the cars that have them.

Question: When you were test driving the Pro you bought, or just before taking delivery, did you pop the hood and take a look at the engine bay? Just wondering how many people do that these days.

Frankly, I didn't. And the first time I poped the hood to check the oil...it was a surprise when it didn't look like the Honda engine bay I was use to. LOL! I was expecting orange; it's yellow. I couldn't find the dipstick. Mazda hides it on the left rear side of the engine.

Which reminded me of the Mazda GLC's dipstick, that sucker was impossible to get back in the tiny pipe once removed. It was behind the engine and more towards the center, you couldn't see that darned pipe without a flashlight and you couldn't hold the light and the dipstick, too. Service station guys turned the air blue (cussing) trying to hit that hole. LOL

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Look in the Yellow Pages for independent shops that service Mazdas. Many ex-Mazda mechanics in large cities have opened their own businesses. Ditto for Honda and German cars. Some do warrenty work, too.

fowler3
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    And you are right, it keeps the heat for a long time after you shut it off.
    So that's two photos you've posted recently (one here, one elsewhere) that appear to have been taken by you while in the driver's seat of a moving vehicle.

Care to explain?

:)