Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    That tick, tick, tick sound, is in your head. It, my friend is your biological clock. Meade, time is running out on your freedom from children. After your son is born, you will lay in bed at night and here that same tick tick tick sound, as you wait for the ungodly crying, of little Meade awakening for his regular nightly feedings. Later, the tick tick tick sound in your head, will signal your concerns for his higher education tuition, hehe!!!

-Larry
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    as long as the arms are under the lift points, it should be ok... You jack your car up after a flat on the frame, so same princible.. as long as they don't lift it in the middle, you are fine.. My dealer lifts all its cars with a 4 arm lift supported at the lift points... no problems yet..
    and the day my car should fall off their lifts, is the day I receive a new Altima as replacement...
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I don't mean to refute your theory..which of course is the easiest way of controlling the temp. of the engine.

but the theory which I proposed was in consideration that there is ABSOLUTELY NO fluctuation in the temp. needle....just a simple thermostat maintaining such accurate temp.?

makes me wonder.....
  • unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    Can you guys tell that I spend too much time with my car....Hey, what is the little plastic things under the seats? are they air vents or something?
    probably heat vents for the back people..
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Maltb is correct, the temp gauge gets its information from a thermostat in the engine bay, nothing else. As for fluctuations, the sensitivity of the gauge itself also determines how much the needle moves as well. A supersensitive thermostat hooked up to a not so sensitive gauge could give the appearance of an engine maintaining a constant temp, when in fact there are minor fluctuations that you can't see in the gauge. On my Audi, you could actually watch the temp rise and fall while sitting at a light and the radiator fan would cycle on and off.

Best Regards,
    Steve
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Yes. Most car makers put in a gage that's sensitive enough to let you know if there's a problem, but not enough to freak people out watching it going up and down.
  • rnchermanrncherman Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I have a 95 ES Protege with 87,000 miles. I am on my third transmission. The first went in an accident. Something about a pin breaking. The second failed within 24000 miles after the accident. For the third one the shop rebuilt the transmission. It is working fine for now. Any one else have this many problems?

Also parts are hard to find. I have the first model year of the redesign. An engine fan had to be reorder 5 times. We finally found one in a junk yard. Apparently I have a Protege ES built in the first 6 months of 95. They changed the fan they used for the second 6 months of 95. The dealer missed that.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I've done my share of automotive repair and still work in the industry. I know that what I stated is indeed fact and not theory.

To clarify what I stated, there are three or more temp sensors/switches and one thermostat.

The thermostat regulates the flow of water from the engine to the radiator. It will only open when the water temp reaches a particular threshold, usually between 190 and 195 degrees for most newer vehicles. if the coolant temp begins to fall below the specified temp, the thermostat(all mechanical) slowly begins to restrict the flow of the coolant until the temp rises again.

Temp sensors/switches:
    1) in the radiator to control the fan. Again, the radiator only heats at low/no speed.
    2) on the engine to sense engine temp for the PCM(Powertrain Control Module). Senses either oil of water temp depending on the vehicle. Also, the oxygen sensor in the exhaust is a temp sensor. Exhaust temps are relative to air/fuel mixture.
    3)A cheesy little sensor for the gauge to give you peace of mind while you drive. The gauge sensor is much less accurate than the sensor for the PCM.

I'm tired of typing but if you want more just ask.
    :)
  • norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    What's the vent in the left side of the trunk for?
    At least I think it's a vent. '01 Protege.
    It's a vent that allows air out of your car. If it wasn't there, you would have sore ears.

• windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    In both my old 626 and my new one, the needle sits about five degrees left of vertical; the only time I've ever seen it move to the right of that was once after a coolant flush, which tipped me off to the presence of an air bubble. This apparently is what Mazda thinks you want to see in a temp gauge. :)
    Eh? What's that you say? Duh, learn something new every day.
    Finally making your way around to the Protege board? Welcome and I look forward to seeing your take on many of the issues raised here.

• jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I would have to agree that although the thermostat does most of the work for controlling the temperature, there are several other factors.

I do have to say... the relatively insane temp gauge in my '82 RX-7 puts on quite a show. Particularly while sitting in line at a drive-thru with the AC on. Then it goes up, up, up... Then it goes down, down, down... Then it goes up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up... Then it goes down.

Let me tell you... even though that little rotary engine has never overheated, it provides quite a scare sometimes. Especially since I know that overheating a rotary is almost certain death for it. But, there's nothing like watching that tach needle swing past 10,000rpm! It's quite exhilarating!
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    I've got a raspy/buzzing noise coming from the engine compartment during heavy acceleration when the car is COLD only. After the car is warmed up, the raspy/buzzing sound is gone. Any ideas before I go to the dealer; maybe a loose/misaligned heatshield or exhaust manifold/pipe?? Everything else is OKAY.... Any thoughts?

MARTIN
  • browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    You know you are supposed to let the car warm up a little before you stomp on it!! I would say the noise you hear under heavy acceleration is the pistons and valves slapping around. As the engine warms up, the pistons expand ever so slightly and fill up the cylinders properly.

Personally, I would just drive slowly (keep in under 3500RPM) until you see the temp needle go up to the normal operation temperature. I find it only takes 3 minutes of regular driving before you can punch it!
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    Not to mention engine oil are all down at the pan when the car is cold. I wouldn't run the engine too high until it warms up.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Well, I've decided not to get the Sentra. I liked the car a lot, but the one I wanted to get (without the spoiler and side sills) looks extremely bloated and ugly from the rear. Also, the steering isn't as fast as the Protege, IMO. It feels 'spongy' at low speeds.

I looked at a 2001 VW Golf the other day. Now THIS is a car! Built like a vault, and extremely safe. It has side airbags, head curtain airbags, all standard. Plus the normal front airbags. Lots of standard features, too. Love the how the keyless entry remote and key are the same thing. Very fun to drive, too.

Now it's not like I hate my Protege, or its a bad car. In fact, I really like it a lot. But I like the VW even more. I'm going down to the VW dealership tomorrow and see about a Golf. I know a few friends and co-workers who'd like to take my Protege off my hands, and if they do, at least I will know where my baby will end up.

Now if I do get the Golf and sell my Protege, don't worry, I'll still be around! My father still has his 2000 Protege DX, only has about 2500 miles on it.

Decisions, decisions...
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    My Camry V6 automatic does not let the engine rev above 4000 rpm when the engine is cold, it will shift at 4000 no matter what the throttle position is. I think this would be a good idea for any car. Most aluminum DOHC 4 cyl engines sound noisy when they are cold (my 2001 ES 2.0L does and so did my integra) Aluminum expands and contracts alot more than the older style iron engines. When an aluminum engine is warm, it is in "spec" and when it is cold it is a little out of "spec". Even when it is really cold out, engine oil reaches the upper portions of the engine within seconds (especially true with synthetic oil), it is never sitting in the oil pan unless it isn't running. You don't really need to warm your car up unless its really cold out, just wait till your oil pressure light goes out take it easy until the temp needle is where it should be when warm.
  • gitarzangitarzan Member Posts: 66
    Yahoo! I just got a new 2000 LX Protege tonight. Loaded for the price of a basic 2001.

Nice Car. I thank you folks for the inspiration to look into this little feller.

It's Mica Black w/ Grey Interior, Auto, Comfort Options, Keyless Entry.

I was driving a 1980 Caprice with a bent camshaft. What a difference!
    Dave, welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your new PRO!!! Please keep us informed on your ownership experience.

-Larry
  • totustuustotustuus Member Posts: 11
    I agree, the VW's are a real nice line of cars right now. In fact, I've owned 2 VW's and an Audi. In my experience, the drive trains will last forever and the bodies hold up real well. But the maintenance costs in general will be higher than with a Protege over the life of the vehicle......waay higher.
    Just my .02 worth.
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    Dave,

Welcome to the world of ZOOM!

Regards,
    Mark.
  • wischuckwischuck Member Posts: 5
    Our local dealer still has 2000 models left -- a 2000 Protege ES with automatic, fog lamps and mats is selling for $12,899.00 new (includes the $2,500 rebate). A 2001 ES with moon roof, automatic and mats is going for $15,500 (includes $750 rebate). Is the 2001 worth the extra money?
    I really liked the Jetta, which is identical to the Golf. However, the 2yr/24,000m bumper to bumper warranty really turned me off, not to mention it would have cost an extra 2 grand miniumum. Granted, they have that good powertrain warranty, but that's not going to cover some silly engine sensor that's gone bad at 26,000 miles. I say this because I didn't realize the shorter VW warranty until late in the car search game, and ultimately was one of the deciding factors for me against the VW.
    wischuck: I recently bought an 01 ES 5spd/ w Prem package for 16, 900 not including any rebates. I really like my 01, but many have the 00 ES and like that a lot as well. I would think that you can get that 00 ES price down some more, then it might be really tempting. I assume you've checked edmunds TMV's? Not the gospel, but a good ballpark indicator.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I battled with getting a Golf 1.8T before I picked up my 2001 ES 2.0. Boy, am I glad I got the Protege though. The Golf is alot smaller inside than the Protege, costs alot more to repair, has the shorter warranty, and also has not been rated as high by Consumer Reports and other publications as the Protege has. I read stores in the Jetta forum about oxygen sensors and batteries going on cars that are not even 6 months old yet. I know the powertrain warranty is generous, but did not wanna take a change with all the other stuff that isn't covered. So I got another Protege to replace my 1999 DX.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    wow 12899, that's pretty good for a 'new' car, even for a older model year. If you can't get the 2000 price any lower (like at least 500 lower), then I would personally go for the loaded 2001, just for the sake of having the latest and greatest. Of course if $$ is of greater priority than having the newest toy, then the 2000 would be logical choice. Either way you'll be getting a great little car (uh... the pun's too obvious). I have a 2000 ES and I'm very happy with it after owning it for 8 months.

good luck

H
    for the in-depth info on the temp. gauge....but on the last line I kind of felt that you did not enjoy the argument...like Al gore sighing when GWBush spoke :)

reason why I argued was that considering the modern trends towards feedback systems in all aspects of mech. engg., it was natural for a modern feedback system in place for maintaining the engine temp....
    vocus, the projector beam fog lamps that you wanted to sell...how do they look? any pictures on the web?
  • borgf15borgf15 Member Posts: 29
    Wow...I guess most of us liked the VW's...
    If I were an impulse buyer I'd be the owner of a Jetta right now. I really liked the way it drove, standard features, safety stuff, etc. However, after doing the research, here I am in the Protege forum! I know a few people with jetta's that have had a lot of problems with them (like vocus said...2 out of 3 of them had to replace the oxygen sensors). Consumer reports also helped me make up my mind not to buy a VW (however, the Passat rates pretty high).
    I really think the protege drives a lot like the jetta. The jetta may be a little more refined, but I like my pro!
  • maria22maria22 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the Protege but am unsure about its performance with the auto transmission, esp. considering the low hp and no V6 options. Unfortunately, I can't drive standard.

Any comments or suggestions as to the performance with auto transmission?
  • hollenhorst2hollenhorst2 Member Posts: 51
    Does anyone have any idea if the $750 rebate is going to be extended past April 2?
  • totustuustotustuus Member Posts: 11
    I was also hesitating about the slush box with a four cylinder engine after coming from a 2.5 litre V-6 and a five speed (Contour SE sport), however, the Protege engine is quite a nice match with the auto. It has good low end torque which is nice around town and seems to rev. quite easily as well. Granted, its not a rocket ship, but its quite adequate.
    I think Mazda was thinking "automatic" when they decided to upgrade the 1.8 to the 2.0 engine.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    The thing to remember is that the 2.0 FSD engine came out of the 626, and the majority of 626s sold in this particular hemisphere are automatics with the 2.0. (I see a fair number of V6 versions with the stick, hardly any fours.) In the 626, the 2.0 is tuned for a torque peak at a startlingly low (for a DOHC four, anyway) 3000 rpm, which makes life easier for people with the slushboxes, since the CD4E wants to shift around that point until it gets warmed up. I'm not aware of the shift habits of the 4F27E - uh, FN4A-EL - but I'd be surprised if they were substantially different.

And while the 2.0, in my opinion, sounds a bit gruffer going up the tach, it's not the voice of complaint you're hearing. I was easing up one of our overly-short onramps yesterday when a monster van appeared from out of a blind spot and refused to budge. No problemo: push down hard with right foot, zip to 5500 rpm (which is the HP peak in the 626), watch van shrink in rear-view mirror. A practical application of Zoom Zoom.
  • fdeanfdean Member Posts: 1
    Seriously considering the 01 Protege, and test drove the 1.6 with automatic. Seemed fine, but aside from general "peppiness" does anyone have any comments on the possible problems that might develop over time with a 1.6 and auto trans?
    Frank
  • hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Yeah, the Protege ES 2.0L sounds noisier (when cold only) than my old '95 ES 1.8L. The buzzing/raspy sound goes away when the temp gauge in normal (about 1 min after start-up). I will take it easy for about a minute!! Then I can lay some rubber on the road at 6AM Mon-Thur!!!

My wife really made some interesting comments that I'd like to share with y'all: "Man... this car just doesn't like to sit around at 65MPH; The steering is so responsive, sharp and centered compared to my Camry... now I see why you like to zip around turns 20+ MPH above the posted 'safe' limit !!!!" She even requests to drive it on the weekends! OKAY by me... as long as I'm there for the ride!!! :):)

MARTIN
    Well, it was in a Target parking lot, but still.. first one i saw (ES) out of a dealer lot..

Same emerald green as ours.. looked sharp.. the slight pangs of jealously started creeping up, but I pushed it down... we all are enjoying our zoom zooming machines!!!!
    how was the chat on Thursday???
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    I guess it depends on how you'll be using it. I have a '99 Canadian Protege SE with the 1.6l auto and for the most part, I think it is fine. Fuel economy is reasonably okay too. Of course now I'm thinking like Vocus and am *sorely* tempted to trade-in and get an '01 ES!! You'll just have to test drive. I suppose if you're coming from a V6 it will seem a bit underpowered. I went from an old cramped Corolla so for me everything was only better....But I still find myself looking at the '01 ES and drooling...
  • queenofacesqueenofaces Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to express my thanks to the people on this board. I had never heard of the S-plan until I logged on--I'm so glad I did. It made buying my 2001 Protege LX 2.0 SO much easier! Again, thanks for all the help.
  • lindathomp2000lindathomp2000 Member Posts: 39
    Well. We have our 2001 ES 5 speed. SeaBreeze Green .Wow. We took it up the mountains in upstate New York and it handled like a Pro. Of course that is what it is! I am glad I got the moon roof wind deflector. Gonna put the new Judy Collins CD in soon and listen while I drive to Syracuse. Can't wait! Of course, now we have to sell our 1995 Pro. Probably some worthy college grad would like it. We will ask $4000. Is that fair?
    Has anybody used the S plan lately? We are so...pleased that we looked into that.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Selling the 1995: Go to Edmund's and check the TMV on the car. List it for that price or somewhere around that price. $4000 does sound about right though.

In-stock Protege ESs for sale in Maryland: I stopped by Russel Mazda on Route 40 in Maryland. They have one Premium Pkg. automatic ES in Millenium Red, one 5-speed no options in M. Red, one automatic no options in Seabreeze, and one additional automatic no options Millenium Red. Also, there was one LX 2.0 on their lot as well, and I think it was Sunlight Silver. Just wanted to let people in the neighborhood looking for an ES that there were some available.

On another point, I have not seen another ES (or 2001 Protege, to think about it) on the road since I got mine on 2/23/01. I now have 1801 miles on my car and still loving it! :)
    There is no guarantee, nonetheless, it seems VERY likely, based on recent history, that Mazda USA will extend the $750.00 sales incentive or perhaps "improve" on it. They maintained sales incentives/special financing rates throughout all of last year.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • aceman56aceman56 Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to pick up a Protege ES. But a couple of questions. First, I only wanted the ABS brakes and the side air bags, but the only way to get them is to also purchase a moonroof which I didn't want to pay extra for - in the premium pckg.

Next, I hear its very hard to find an ES without a built-in cassette player - which I also didn't want to pay extra for.
    Is anyone else in this bind?

Also, whats some of your choices on the color to pick?
    1999 - pushed Focus like a rocket into the market.

2001 - Time for the Protege to hit the market..I am sure rebates will continue left and right...

2 years down the road....watch out...
  • proboscisproboscis Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,

I just want to do a quick survey on what people think of the ES interior. I know that a few people have made comments on it already. I've been torn between purchasing an LX with gray interior fabric and normal black gauges and purchasing an ES with the black fabric and the white gauges. I really wish that Mazda offered a choice of ES interior colour.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'd learn to live with the black ES interior. It's too dark, looks like it can get dirty in a hurry, the pattern on the fabric looks cheesy and cheap to me, and I don't like the white gauges either. However, the LX trim level offers far fewer bells and whistles (particularly here in Canada, where you can't even get things like power windows on the LX at all), and I like bells and whistles.

For those of you who are like me and aren't too hot on the ES interior, has it been enough to dissuade you from purchasing the ES model? If not, does the interior grow on you after a while?
    Maria22 - I have the 2 litre ES with auto. I am constantly impressed with the acceleration, smoothness and 'brains' the transmission has (post # 878). I have no trouble accelerating from 100kmh to 120kmh for example. Compared to my old Corsica 3.1 litre V6 this car gets up to speed quicker and is much smoother.

pygmalion - the graduate rebate is a Mazda program that should not affect the price you can negotiate at the dealer. Try contacting Mazda Canada directly for information. At the dealer, get the price finalized and then tell them you want the rebate. If they're on the up and up it shouldn't be an issue.