Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Owners: Recalls & TSBs

Comments

• andyinsdcaandyinsdca Member Posts: 3
    The Jeep dealer has our 06 Unlimited hardtop (1700mi) for the leak thing. They know what the problem is and they're talking about having to drop the dash to fix it :mad: .

This is the first (and last) time I buy American. The dealership we took delivery from and the body shop have had miserable service. It's confirmed everything I thought about American dealerships & cars.
  • pulsox69pulsox69 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. I visited a Jeep dealership the other day and saw a piece of tape covering the foam where the driver's side door meets the jeep (A brand new 2006 Jeep Rubicon). Looks like there are quick fixes being done before they leave the showroom floor.
  • irishredirishred Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 60,000 miles. I recently had it to the garage for a coolant leak. I'm leaking coolant from somewhere, although there are no leaks and I don't smell anything. When I picked it up from the garage they informed me that they couldn't find anything wrong even after pressure testing everything but that they had heard that Jeeps from 99-01 were having a problem with cracked heads after around 40,000 miles. This is suppose to be due to a defect through Chrysler when they changed to the coils instead of wires. I am no mechanic and wasn't too happy hearing this especially since it's not even paid off yet and may cost me another 1600.00 to replace heads that, in my opinion, if Chrysler knows this problem exists, should put a recall out and fix their own problem! All in all I was just wondering if anyone else out there is having or had the same problem or heard the same news.
    We got the Jeep back on Friday and they said they'd fixed it. Well, it rained last nite, the wife reports we got water inside the Jeep again.

I hate American cars, dealerships and service even more than I used to. :lemon: :lemon:
  • corndogcorndog Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2006 Jeep LIberty diesel in January am taking it back to the dealer for the fourth time. Dealer says it has some major problem with the transmission with the electrical signals in the transmission, which they (Chrysler) can't fix and don't know how to fix.
    Jeep tells my dealer its normal operating system my dealer says no it is not normal. What it does is acts like it is either trying to cut out or its trying to shift gears resulting in it cutting out. Very frustating when Chrysler won't own up to problem when three guys in the service department all tell Chrysler the same thing. Plus this jeep barely gets 21 mpg. Needless to say I want a car that is new and has no problems like what I was suppose to get when I purchased this jeep. :lemon:
  • bvcrdbvcrd Member Posts: 196
    Yea, this problem has been out there for a while. Not on mine thank the lord. There is a new TSB out there but from what I hear on my other sight, it doesn't work either. Some folks get new torque convertors and or trannys. Stay on them. Let us know.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Probably a silly question, but does your invoice say "heads" or "head"? The 2.5 and 4.0 are inline motors. They only have one "head", rather than a Vee configuration.
    There's a 4.0 inline 6 cylinder in this Jeep.
  • jtbirdjtbird Member Posts: 1
    Hello

It's raining hard here in LA and I went to the Jeep Dealership to look at a reserved Brand New 05 Wrangler X - did I say Brand Spanking New.I opened the doors to the car and there were huge puddles of water both sides - in the footwells (well being an appropriate name).Not a great start.Needless to say I didn't purchase the car - is this a common problem with Wranglers - half metal doors - can it be rectified ???!?!?!
  • njbamadogznjbamadogz Member Posts: 26
    From what I've seen and heard, the leaking is a very common problem in 2005's and 2006's.

My 2004 Sport never leaked a drop. Unfortunately, it was totalled in an accident. So I got a 2005 Sport. It leaked horribly from the time I got it, as did other Wranglers I checked on several different new car lots. (Wanted to see if my Sport leaking was an isolated problem. Found out it was not.) Chrysler does not know how to fix the problem -- nor do they admit there even is a problem; says they are designed to leak. Some dealerships claim they can fix the problem, but they don't.

My attorney got the dealership where I bought the 2005 Sport to buy the car back from me. They never fixed the leak. And now the Sport is for sale on their used car lot.

My advice is if you are considering buying a Wrangler, take it for a test drive -- right through a hand car wash. if it doesn't leak, then buy it!
    This URL has some decent answers:
    http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37714&SearchTerms=leak,rai- n

I messed with this buy dumping buckets of water into the vent behind the hood and was able to sort of duplicate the problem. I left the AC on and shut off the Jeep and that seemed to be the problem. But I took it back anyway, now the dealer's body shop has had it a total of 15 days. Maybe it's fixed.
    Is your Wrangler leaking through the door frame? This is where mine was leaking.

Have someone sit in the Jeep and hit it with a hose, as if you were driving into the rain. Soak it really well. If the water starts pouring in through the rubber gaskets in the door frames (above your left shoulder if you are in the passenger's seat; right shoulder if you are in the passenger's seat) that's where a lot of the Wrangler's are leaking, based on my research.

If they cannot fix it, consider retaining an attorney to talk to the dealership about buying it back from you. (They would not listen to me as a consumer, but their ears perked right up when the attorney called them.)
  • pulsox69pulsox69 Member Posts: 6
    I was surfing the web and found an online attorney that will accept my case for the leaking Jeep Wrangler. Their office states that there are never any charges to the client, just the dealership. Have you heard of this? Is it worth while doing or is there a better way?
    That's a Lemon Law attorney. Lemon Law, however, is a long drawn out process which may, or may not, get your results you want.

As a first step, I would try going back to the dealership where you purchased your Jeep to ask them about getting out of that Wrangler and into one that doesn't leak. See what their response is...
  • cydjcydj Member Posts: 1
    I'm floating away!! My Jeep is wonderful for everything but swiming - unfortunately it thinks it's a pool. I've had it at the dealer 3 times already - I thought my husband had fixed it, but the heavy rains of the past couple of days nixed that thought. I don't want a leaky car! I'm going to check into the lemon law, but I don't know that leaking is a safety issue. :sick: :lemon:
  • ancjeepancjeep Member Posts: 6
    IF THIS JEEP IS A 4.7L, THEN THE PROBLEM IS A BLOWN HEAD
    GASKET. THE PRESSURE IS BEING BLOWN INTO THE COOLING SYSTEM. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH NUMEROUS RADIATORS.
    THE DEALER REPLACED 5 BEFORE FINALLY CALLING CHRYSLER TECH.
    ASSISTANCE. THERE WAS A CASTING PROBLEM WITH THE 4.7L HEADS
    THAT CAUSE THE GASKET TO WEAR.
  • rideonrideon Member Posts: 3
    2005 LIBERTY SPORT 3.7 lt
    DO THE DISC BRAKE PADS HAVE WEAR INDICATORS (SOUND)?
  • diesel_farmerdiesel_farmer Member Posts: 32
    NHTSA Action Number : EA06008 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
    Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    JEEP / LIBERTY 2002-2006

JEEP / LIBERTY 4X4 2006

Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
    Component :
    SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

Date Investigation Opened : May 31, 2006
    Date Investigation Closed : Open
    Summary:
    ON JANUARY 6, 2006, THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION (ODI) OPENED A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION TO INVESTIGATE ALLEGED FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT SEPARATION WHILE DRIVING IN CERTAIN MODEL YEAR (MY) 2004 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES. ODI SENT A LETTER TO THE MANUFACTURER ON FEBRUARY 7, 2006, REQUESTING INFORMATION ABOUT THESE AND OTHER JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES. BASED ON THE INFORMATION REVIEWED IN PE06-004, THE RANGE OF SUBJECT VEHICLES UNDER INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN EXPANDED TO INCLUDE ALL MY 2002-06 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES THAT USE THE SAME OR SUBSTANTIALLY SIMILAR FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT. ODI IS AWARE OF 495 NON-DUPLICATIVE COMPLAINTS THAT ALLEGE INVOLUNTARY FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT SEPARATION IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. ODI IS ALSO AWARE OF ONE NON-INJURY CRASH AND THREE ALLEGED INJURY INCIDENTS (TWO CRASH INCIDENTS AND ONE NON-CRASH INCIDENT) RELATED TO THE ALLEGED DEFECT RESULTING IN MINOR INJURIES. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE COMPLAINT COUNTS REPORTED ABOVE ONLY INCLUDE MY 2002-03 LIBERTY VEHICLES IF IT WAS DETERMINED THE ALLEGED BALL JOINT SEPARATION OCCURRED AFTER PRIOR RECALL REPAIRS WERE PERFORMED (SEE BELOW) OR IF THE VEHICLE WAS NOT SUBJECT TO THE PRIOR RECALL BECAUSE ITS VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN) FELL OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF AFFECTED VEHICLES IDENTIFIED BY THE MANUFACTURER. THE MANUFACTURER CONDUCTED A PRIOR SAFETY RECALL (03V-460) TO ADDRESS THE SUBJECT ISSUE IN CERTAIN MY 2002-03 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES. ACCORDING TO DAIMLERCHRYSLER’S DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT TO THE AGENCY (IN ACCORDANCE WITH 49 CFR PART 573) DATED NOVEMBER 4, 2003, “THE CONSTANT TENSION LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINTS MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF LUBRICATION WHICH CAN LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR AND POSSIBLY SEPARATION FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE. A CONSTANT TENSION BALL JOINT WHICH HAS SEPARATED FROM THE KNUCKLE MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL WITH MINIMAL ADVANCED WARNING.” THE MANUFACTURER HAS MADE NUMEROUS CHANGES IN THE DESIGN, MATERIAL COMPOSITION, MANUFACTURE, QUALITY CONTROL, SUPPLY, AND INSTALLATION OF THE SUBJECT BALL JOINTS SINCE THE PRIOR SAFETY RECALL WAS INITIATED IN AN EFFORT TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE WITH RESPECT TO SEALING, LUBRICATION, AND JOINT RETENTION CAPABILITY. THE MANUFACTURER'S INVESTIGATION INTO ALLEGED FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT SEPARATION IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES IS ONGOING. ACCORDINGLY, THIS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS TO FURTHER STUDY THE FREQUENCY AND SCOPE OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT AND THE ADEQUACY OF THE REMEDY PROVIDED BY THE PRIOR SAFETY RECALL.
  • pool92005pool92005 Member Posts: 4
    go here and complian then they might do something

www.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Make: JEEP
    Model: LAREDO
    Type: MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLE
    Year: 1997
    Complaint Number: 10160614
    Summary:
    MY 1997 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO HAS HAD A CRACKED EXAUST MANIFOLD FOR SOME TIME NOW. THE DEALERSHIP KNOWS THE PRICE FOR ONE OFF THE TOP OF THEIR HEAD WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP. DUST OR WATER CAN GET IN THERE AND MAKE ENGINE FAILURE, IT CAN ALSO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO GET TO HOT AND CAUSE A FIRE. CARBONMONOXIDE LEAKS INTO THE CABIN WHEN THE WINDOWS ARE UP AND THE HEATER IS ON.
  • xkmailxkmail Member Posts: 36
    I am geting real pissed about my 2005 Jeep Liberty Seats. THe material is truely not right. Light water stains, inability to clean, the thread loses its color and dies the seat seams.
    I think whomever sold Jeep the seats did not thouroughly test the materials.
    Whomever wants to sign an online petition and that way we can either get Jeep to replace the seats, or refund us a percentage of the pourchase price.
    Good luck! Jeep (Daimler Chrysler) is HORRIBLE to deal with!!! I have a lawsuit against them as we speak for the lemon I bought 3 months ago! I had tried relentlessly to give them ample oppertunity to help me and they don't want to hear it!!!
  • jojo1938jojo1938 Member Posts: 5
    I lost my husband of 25 yrs. on Sept.23,2005. He was driving a Jeep Liberty 2002 and we had no idea that there were any recalls on it. He just suddenly lost control of the vehicle, it went airborne, rolled over 3 times and struck a retaining wall. Just this week I saw on the news about the recall and the ball joints and master cylinder problems that very well could have and probably did cause the crash. It was never determined. You can bet that alot of people are going to know if it can be shown that it was vehicle malfunction. All tests and autopsy on my husband were clear and free of drugs or alcohol. He was coming home from work at 3:45 when I spoke to him on his cell phone. At 3:55pm he was dead. Blunt force trauma was the cause of death. I have been haunted for 10 months as to why he lost control of that Jeep. I think that I now know. I will keep you posted as to what I am able to find out and what I can do. Thanks

jojo1938
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sorry for your loss.

If you haven't done so already, fill out a report at the NHTSA (www.nhtsa.dot.gov).
    Dear Steve,
    Thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate it very much. Thanks, jojo1938
    Steve, I just found some pictures of a Jeep Liberty that the ball joint had broken on. I must say that it was very alarming and for me an even further reason to believe that this is what happened to my husband. They are on the NHTSA site. I won't get anywhere with this. The company that owned the Jeep that my husband drove won't even return my calls and thus I cannot find out if the jeep is in a junk yard somewhere or has been destroyed. I just wish I had known a year ago what I know now. I did put a complaint in but I have no legal reason to do anything more as we did not own the Jeep. The people who did, well lets just say that I prefer to leave them alone. Thanks jojo1938
  • ehuntleyehuntley Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Liberty, 16'000 miles, that has a hard 1-2 shift about 50% of the time. I've had it back to the dealer 3 times. The computer does'nt pick it up and set a code so the dealer does'nt know what to do and says nothing is wrong with it. Does anybody have the same problem or am I alone.
    Thanks Ed.
    Hi, write to the NHTSA,also here is a website that might be of help to you. It is www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov They might be able to get you on the right track. They have helped me find out things that I could not find anywhere else. Good Luck.

JoJo
  • mikek8mikek8 Member Posts: 3
    There is now a Jeep recall to replace the electric fan, which addresses the exact problem you described. Ask at your dealer. they just replaced mine pre-emptively.
  • mikek8mikek8 Member Posts: 3
    My experience seems to agree. (Same 4.7 engine, 2000 Grand Cherokee, 96000 miles) After replacing the rad, thermostat, fan, and 3 visits to the dealer to diagnose repeated overheats, I finally have paid for them to check the heads. There were no cracks reported, and it's been reassembled with new head gaskets. So far so good, but I am unimpressed that it could not be diagnosed by my 5-star dealer, and as a result my engine has overheated several times. As a result, I have an annoying tick in the engine that they guess might be piston slap, vavle train, or cam chain tensioner related. They need to sort this out, and need to get better at diagnosing overheat problems. I will show them your e-mail to demonstrate mine isn't the first.
  • quadringquadring Member Posts: 20
    There is now a recall for this issue.
  • lt22davislt22davis Member Posts: 2
    Jojo1938- I would call a lawyer because what happened to your husband is Jeep's fault especially if they did not notify you of the recall. We have a 2005 jeep cherokee and it has almost caught on fire (with me and my children in it) due to problems with the vehicle and its poor quality. If I were you I would fight it as hard as you can. Go down to the dealership and demand that they tell you where your vehicle went to and do not settle for anything less. One thing I have leared about dealerships and mostly anything that has to do with DAimlerChrysler is you have to put your foot down and just get in their face, otherwise they won't even look your way. I hope all the best luck to you!
  • lt22davislt22davis Member Posts: 2
    army-abn2k5- I have almost the exact same problem. My 2005 Jeep Grand cherokee stalls out all the time. It happens when I cut off the car and go to start it back up. It just will not crank up and the service department at Galeana/Chrysler dealership has been incapable of even finding the problem. Our car has been in the shop for about 3 months off and on and they can't tell us anything even though I have it on video. If you find an answer to your problem let me know. Apparently this is a problem multiple people have with their JGC and I can guarantee any Chrysler dealership will be unable to fix it.
    I really appreciate your suggestion and believe me I have tried. This is such a complicated case that it is almost hard to believe. I will be brief. The Jeep Liberty was owned by the company that my husband worked for(a local union) he was chief union steward. The jeep was removed from the accident scene before family could view it #1, after the shock wore off I started to question certain things,#2, I found out that Chrysler had sent out 2 recall letters to the union, one in Nov.,2003 and another in Sept. of 2006. The jeep has conveniently dissapeared and no one will return my calls or emails. I have spoken with 4 lawyers, the last one, just last week. No one wants to take it because the jeep is gone and without it there is no case. I will never have closure and someone basically got away with murder. Thank you for your letter. God bless. jojo1938
  • ag30ag30 Member Posts: 2
    My 1996 JGC would drive fine in the morning, but after sitting for eight hours while I was at work, it would stall on the way home during stop-go traffic. I had fuel filter, ignition coils, crank sensor all changed - most recently the fuel pump, which my mechanic was certain would solve the problem. It's only gotten worse - still stalling and now with a ridiculous rattling/throttling... anything tips I can give my stumped mechanic would be most appreciated.
  • hatcheckhatcheck Member Posts: 7
    ..I've got a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee! It also leaked. Water was pouring from the plugs on the side door grips on the inside. Also, it was pouring out of the overhead console. They acted so surprised (I had them come to see if my sunroof was closed properly, they said it was). They said they had never seen anything like this. They kept it for a week, took the headliner out and looked and said the factory forgot to put the flashing in around the sunroof????!! Amazingly, they'd never heard of leaks before?
  • podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    we recently bought a used 2003 liberty freedom and are experiencing hard shifts. now we get the remainder of the powertrain warranty and asked the dealer how we go about having them look at it, the dealer said we would have to pay a diagnostics fee. is this true? with my 04 civic i would never have to pay anything warranty related on the vehicle. just curious, we like the jeep but if we may have expensive repairs in our future we may look at others after winter. thanks for your help.
  • billygjonesbillygjones Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Jeep Rubicon in Aug, 2006. It is at the dealer again for the 4th attempt at stopping the water leaks. It has a total of 1400 miles on the vehicle and they have had it for well over 30 days in the shop. They are making efforts to fix it, but not any luck. They did want to know if we park under trees or our driveway is slanted. It is a safety hazard because wet shoe soles can slip off of brake pedals easily. Also, my wife has asthma and mold would be detrimental to her health. I mentioned the lemon law today to the dealer while looking at a Liberty to replace this Rubicon and they turned quite pale. I will not give up on this issue until the vehicle is fixed, replaced, or my money refunded. It is the 5th new car I have bought from this dealer so am a good customer.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    If you are having stalling issues, check to see if the Throttle Position Sensor is bad. If you take your Jeep to Autozone, they can read any codes that may be thrown.

In these stalling cases, does the Check Engine Light ever come on?

I had this problem last summer, but it was because I was driving through deep mud and ruined the TPS. Same symptoms though and may be a similar cause of problems you folks are experiencing.

-Paul
  • luvmijeepluvmijeep Member Posts: 3
    Just read other messages and they talked about hairline leaks which had not been detected on the engine by the dealers when taken in for check about loosing coolant. Said there can be undetected cracks on the heads also. Just read some of the other forums and it may help. I stumbled across those while trying to find out about a problem I have had over the last 3 years with my 94 not starting up after running for 15 miles or so and then stopping to shop or eat and coming out to a semi start up (wont fully crank over totally.. just chuggs and then stalls back out. Will not raise engine when step on gas during this chugging. Repeat trying only starts and does same thing/ restalls after chugg, or does not start at all for several tries and then starts only to chugg again and stall. After about 45 min. to an hour I can try and it will start right up and take off like never a problem at all. very inconvienient. cant find problem. maybe you know what my problem is.?? oh well. take care
    I have had over the last 3 years with my 94 not starting up after running for 15 miles or so and then stopping to shop or eat and coming out to a semi start up (wont fully crank over totally.. just chuggs and then stalls back out. Will not raise engine when step on gas during this chugging. Repeat trying only starts and does same thing/ restalls after chugg, or does not start at all for several tries and then starts only to chugg again and stall. After about 45 min. to an hour I can try and it will start right up and take off like never a problem at all. very inconvienient. cant find problem. maybe you know what my problem is.?? oh well. take care
    I had a problem like that at one point and it was the baffle inside the catalytic converter had broken a pc.off and did the same thing upon excelleration. they replaced the converter and it stopped. Check it out.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    next time just remove bat cable then put back on right after you remove it if starts ok then poss pcm prob or enginition switch not opening a wire switch is lot cheaper than pcm would try that first
  • renevoldsonrenevoldson Member Posts: 1
    Check this out... its seemed to have helped lots of others.
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7811_102-0.html?forumID=78&threadID=248386&messageID- =2490641
    If the link doesn't work, do this:

www.cnet.com
    select tips and tricks tab
    select cnet forums
    under electronics, select car tech
    select topic: Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling fixed! from Oct 18

Good Luck!
  • lauraevelinelauraeveline Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee.Yesterday the rear, driver side, tail light wiring harness caught fire. No modifications have every been made on it. Has anyone heard of this before?
  • jerryapple3jerryapple3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 cherokee sport that has been in the family since new every time i let off the throttle the oil pressure gauge drops and the check guages light comes on but once the throttle is engaged again it shoots back up can someone help me? :sick:
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    have you changed the sending unit?
  • nesh2nesh2 Member Posts: 1
    Jeep was running fine all evening, was parked for two hours. Started the vehicle, drove down the block and suddenly everything shuts off, it appears to be a complete electrical system failure. Gas tank is full, engine cranks over but refuses to start, a short time later it cranked over and started then immediately died.
    Good source, while it lasts at least:

steve_, "Online Repair Manuals" #12, 14 Feb 2012 7:37 am
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319

Why doesn't Jeep provide parts to fix safety recalls? Back in October, we received a notice from Jeep to have our 2012 Wrangler fixed due to a recall on the power steering line. I called the dealer and asked if I could bring it in. They said I needed to be put on a waiting list, and they only receive "one part a week" from Chrysler. Now it is almost March and they haven't called me in. This seems nuts, yes?

edited February 2014

I think I'd go over the dealer's head and open a case with Jeep and see what happens with that. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen

Jeep was notifying people of a parts wait. But that was back in July 2013.

2012-'13 Jeep Wrangler Recalled for Possible Loss of Transmission Fluid

Jeep.com contact page