Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Owners: Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• yellowfinyellowfin Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone increased their tire size without modifying their suspension? I put a set of 31" Dueler A/T Revo's on my 04 Wrangler Unlimited, very happy with the tire, and would like to put P255/65R17 Revo's on my '05 JGC. I found them for $173 ea., but not sure if they will fit. Any experience with this would be appreciated. By the way, very happy with my my loaded Loredo.

Mike
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I put a set of 245/75 Yokahoma Geolanders on my JGC Limited 5.7 Hemi and they fit great. Since you are putting on a set of shorter tires, you should have no problem.
    blkhemi, what do you mean by "shorter tire"? The 245's are the optional size, I am trying to get 255's underneath to fill out the wheel well. Do your tires with the 75 width clear the wheel well?
    "75" is the number designated in regard to the height of the tire. 245 is the width. My buddy just put 265's on his '06 Overland with no rubbing whatsoever with the factory suspension. I chose the the 245/75 for increased ground clearance. They also make the vehicle ride a bit taller.
  • jwnrrtjwnrrt Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone used the tornado air management system on their Liberty to improve MPG. Trying to find out if it is worth the money or just a scam?
    blkhemi, thanks for clearing that up for me. I bet it looks sharp. I think I will go with the 235/75R17 Revo's.
    Good move yellowfin. You're right they do look sharp. I live in a remote area so I needed more of a sidewall than what the factory tires offered. I think the 235/75 Revo's will go great on your Jeep. Keep me posted on the outcome.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Popular Mechanics ran a pretty scathing article on mileage adding devices last month.

I can say on my old Cherokee that I did see an improvement with a K&N filter. However, at ~$50 it will take ten or more tanks to pay for itself.
  • alexa3alexa3 Member Posts: 1
    What should be the correct tire pressure on a 2002 4x4 Liberty Sport, with a 2.5 inch Daystar lift on 245/75/16 all terrain bf Goodrich.
    The factory recommended pressure for the stock 4x4 Liberty Sport, with 235/70/16 Goodyear’s is 33 lbs. But the BF Goodrich dealer said pressure should be at 45 lbs. however the ride is very “bouncy”.
  • buckminster3buckminster3 Member Posts: 16
    Follow the tire. The factory door marker can only show what the stock standard size tire is when tire and suspension are loaded up for GVWR. Since the tire itself has a different max pressure, and the tire is load rated for that size and weight vehicle, the tire manufacturer should be deferred to. You don't have to run at max pressure, and it's a little easier on the tire if you don't go quite that high. Remember to check when as cold as possible, as inflation pressure rises with temperature from driving.

Here's some info from sportcompactcarweb.com that was actually provided by BFG, so it applies. Remember this is pavement. Airing down is a good skill to learn for the dirt. But for best handling/mileage, something like this might be better:

In the event that you aren't able to find a recommendation for your car, or the tires on your car are so different from those that were originally fitted from the manufacturer as to be incomparable, we received the following rule of thumb from Oscar Pereda, an engineer for BFGoodrich. He calls it a "realistic starting point," saying it has never been just right, but is a good place to start. The rule is:

(Vehicle Weight in lb/100) + 2 psi at heavier end + 2 psi all around if suspension and alignment are stock.

Example: Stock 911, 3,000 lb.
    (3000/100) = 30 psi
    Add 2 psi all around = 32 psi
    Add 2 psi to heavy end = 34 psi at rear
    With modified suspension, the result is 30 psi front, 32 psi rear.

I would agree with the modified suspension comment. I ran 31 x 10.5 on my XJ, which was never available from the factory, in a BFG all-terrain KO. It sounds like the dealer just aired them to the max. Bring them down to 40, and start playing a little from there till the ride eases up. Your lift springs will break in a little too. Since they are a little higher rated in pressure than something like the stock Wranglers, I'd stay at or above the factory pressure unless on sand or rocks in the dirt.
  • yj92yj92 Member Posts: 1
    Just installed new luminating light bar switches and the light on the switches stays on, does anyone know what could be wrong? Any advise about light bars would help. :confuse:
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    The lights in the switch are connected to the supply side rather than the switched side of the switch. If the wires just plug on to the switch, try reversing them.
  • cedar12cedar12 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a rough country 3" lift kit. i have 4 hydro 8000 shocks 3 "softride springs, d.o.m lower control arms w/ bushings, drop pitman arm, sway bar drop kit and a steering stabilizer. i havent picked up new add a leafs or new 3" springs for the back yet. and suggestions as to what brand, or anyone got any for cheep? is there anything else i need of should consider changing or adding? any hints suggestions or warnings? i am fairly competent but im not a mechanic so any help would be much app. thanks...............
  • skroll37skroll37 Member Posts: 1
    Any response to this post? Just picked up an '05 without fogs and would like to add them.
  • mkjgcmkjgc Member Posts: 1
    I have a quick question about spare tire. I briefly looked at how it is hooked (JGC 05 limitted) and looks like tire with bigger diameter then 19.5" (245/65R17) would not fit. Did you have any problems with spare tire 245/75 ? This is almost 2 inches more in diameter.
  • surfcat2000surfcat2000 Member Posts: 8
    Taking delivery of a new unlimited with a hard top next week and I want to put a roof rack on it for my kayaks. I was looking at the Garvin safari. Question; can the back hatch and door open with it on. I was thinking of the one suspended above the roof. Thanks Jeff
  • fwaddellfwaddell Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know, will a 275/55/17 tire on a Mickey Thompson Classic II wheel 17X9 wth a 4.5in backspace fit on a stock 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited?
    Thanks!
  • dblancodblanco Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited and I want to lift it a little and put some larger tires on it. I was thinking about a 2 inch body lift, but I am not sure of the size tires I can put on it without having to worry about the tires rubbing. I also do not want to buy new wheels. Any suggestions for tires I can put on the wheels that are stock on the vehicle. Basically I just want to make it look a little tougher.
    Thanks
  • jritzenjritzen Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I would like support for the installation of fog lights on my 04 Wrangler. I understand most aspects except: 1.) What wire and where do I connect the white wire from the switch coming from the dash? The headlight wiring? If so, which wire and where? 2.) What is the recommended way to run the wires from under the dash to the engine compartment? 3.) What is best place to mount switch in dash area?

Thanks! :)
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    Anyone have any thoughts on how to increse the payload capacity of a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited? I'm working on a project to buy and outfit one of these vehicles as a fire department brush fire unit. Biggest problem is payload capacity. Factory rating is around 750 lbs., but we'd like to carry a minimum of 60 gallons of water, which eats up 500 lbs. of that. Adding a tank, a pump, and engine to run the pump, hose, nozzles, rakes, etc., etc. quickly overloads the vehicle.

We do not want to raise the vehicle because we must maintain a reasonable center of gravity for on-road travel, as well as off-road stability.

Any thoughts or ideas on this problem?

Thanks!!
  • snake1snake1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey all,
    Anyone one have and answer for installing cruise control in a 97 wrangler? Is there a computer upgrade that will except cruise? I know that part# 82204358 was discontinued. Is there a better way?
  • lee2005lee2005 Member Posts: 1
    Try this web site thay might have what you want.
    http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/liberty/foglights.htm
    Nope, no problems at all.
  • deserttrainerdeserttrainer Member Posts: 1
    I have a soft top that I purchased for a '92 Jeep Sahara. I want to sell the top. Anyone know what years and models the top will fit or how I can find out? Will the top fit any Jeep Wrangler or just the Sahara? I need as much info as possible as I am listing it on ebay....thanks for any help.
  • hdsoaringeaglehdsoaringeagle Member Posts: 1
    Just curious if anyone has put 31x10.5 tires on a stock wrangler sport without any problems or needing modifications
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    At most you may have some minor tire rubbing at full lock; this can be fixed by placing washers under the steering stops.
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    There are many messages on the general "Jeep Wrangler" forum discussing tires, even though they should be here ;) Do a search over there.
    I'm about to go to 31x10.5 on my Unlimited and I'm going to post a question or two over there myself.
  • rcarroll1rcarroll1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,
    Does anyone know if it is possible to change out the 4.2L motor in a 1988 jeep wrangler with a 4.9L motor out of a 1997 ford f-150. If you have any information I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Anything is possible, given enough time and money. The question is, why would you want to do it?
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    This is probably an excellent question for Jp magazine. I think they probably would say go get a 91-96 4.0 out of a Cherokee or Grand or Wrangler from the yard. Computer and wiring as well. Sell them the F150 or F150 motor to pay for it. Would eliminate custom motor mounts, transmission problems, etc.
  • surfcat2000surfcat2000 Member Posts: 8
    how do you get the plastic surrounding the radio off on a new Wrangler? I want to tie in XM to the wiring. In my Blazer it just pulled off but I don't know about the 06 Wrangler and I don't want to break anything. Thanks Jeff
  • jeeper1jeeper1 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to put a 3 1/2 or 4" lift on my 06 sport without getting lots of high speed vibration-- any suggestions on lift kits and or drive shaft modifications? some larger WELL BALANCED WHEELS and tires will follow.....
  • greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    You can either purchase to dome light springs from some place like Quadratrec or I just removed to fuse. Hope this helps.
  • no2dukeno2duke Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1972CJ-5 with a 304V8 it does not have a power steering pump,can I put one on it?
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    I have a 99 TJ with the Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension lift, JKS 1.25" body lift and JKS 1" motor lift. It rides better than stock. With the Old Man Emu lift alone, you install a transfer case lowering kit to eliminate driveline vibrations. That defeats one of the reasons to have a lift. With the small body lift and motor lift, the drive train is back in alignment and you do not need to lower the transfer case. I did all the installs in my garage at home with basic tools.

Other details...I have 76K miles on my 4.0 TJ, the 5sp manual, the standard NP231 T-case. I run 32X11.5R15 BFG mud terrains on Alcoa wheels and 33X10.5R15 BFG All Terrains on the stock wheels. No fender clearance issues, however they do rub the front sway bar at full lock (need to add a washer behind the steering stop bolt to eliminate that). I like 18 yr old scotch, Cohiba cigars and Jeep Jamborees. See ya out there.
  • tunistunis Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 96 JGC, an import from the Arabian Gulf. The radio doesn't work because I don't have the code and the owner is nowhere in sight. Any ideas what standard codes are or how to jury-rig the system? I'm in the Middle East (US Government) and have no dealer nearby...
  • snake1snake1 Member Posts: 4
    Or better and easier yet. Is there ANYONE out there wirth a 97 TJ with factory cruise????? Give me a shout if you would. Thanks :confuse: ">
  • jeeper96jeeper96 Member Posts: 12
    Where would be the best place to find a piece of trim for my 96 grand cherokee on the left passanger side behind theright front tire? Its just a small piece next to the door.I just got my jeep a while ago and it look like someone hit a big rock and the fender is bent.so i need the plastic molding.
  • darn_gwmdarn_gwm Member Posts: 5
    I just removed mine from my 2005 model Wrangler Sport. With a flatblade screwdriver, pry up the cover next to the windshield (defroster vent). Remove the 2 phillips/hex head screws. gently pull the surround straight out at the top and then again at the bottom. There are four metal clips that hold it onto the dash. Hope this helps.
  • darn_gwmdarn_gwm Member Posts: 5
    1. You can remove the fuse to the doors. 2. Checkout Quadratec.com, 4wd.com, 4wheelparts.com There are a couple of things. A spring type thing you clamp around your door pin and I saw somewhere...a switch to put in between your wiring harness that allows you to turn them on and off. Wayne
  • kaluskalus Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there know the specs for the teeth on the flywheel that the Crankshaft position sensor reads??? I've found a couple of diagrams in the service manual that contradict eachother.
    The first shows the flywheel with continuous teeth apart from a small gap (missing one or two teeth)....
    and the other shows a diagram of the face of the flywheel to indicate the teeth.....

can anyone clarify the number of teeth/number of missing teeth/position of teeth???? pleeeeease!!

Also, what happens to the instrument cluster when you change over to an aftermarket ECU???

Cheers
    Kyne
  • carrizojimcarrizojim Member Posts: 3
    Since the rear driveshaft on a Wrangler is so short, drive line angle is critical when you do a lift. Vibration is common after lifting more than 2". This can be addressed in two ways, the first is the spacer they give you with most lift kits. This will work, sort of, but you will feel vibes at takeoff and low speed, deceleration and sometimes on the freeway. The proper way to do it, is to get a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit, this is a kit you buy that changes the tail shaft housing on your transfer case with a fixed u-joint yoke. The part that moves with your suspension is moved to the center of a replacement driveshaft. the kit can be had from a few good vendors. I would recommend Tom Woods Driveshafts or JE Reel. Some off road stores will install them, as will most driveline transmission shops or if you are a competent mechanic, you can do it yourself. The kits run a little under $500.
    The other issue on a TJ Wrangler is alignment. Since it has a two piece tie rod that scissors as it is loaded and unloaded, it needs to be properly aligned after it is lifted. Not aligning it will cause two things, uneven tire wear that will cause vibration and it can cause what we call in the Jeep community the "death wobble" which is a violent shimmy at high speed that is undrivable and extremely damgerous. be sure to also check all bushings and tie rod ends for wear.
  • carrizojimcarrizojim Member Posts: 3
    Asx far as lift kits for a TJ, I would only recommend a Rubicon Express or Teraflex (make sure it comes with an adjustable track bar). Pretty much the best of the bunch. Old Men Emu makes a great kit, but they only see a 2".
    Since the rear driveshaft on a Wrangler is so short, drive line angle is critical (needs to be 10 degrees or less) when you do a lift. Vibration is common after lifting more than 2". This can be addressed in two ways, the first is the spacer they give you with most lift kits. This will work, sort of, but you will feel vibes at takeoff and low speed, deceleration and sometimes on the freeway. The proper way to do it, is to get a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit, this is a kit you buy that changes the tail shaft housing on your transfer case with a fixed u-joint yoke. The part that moves with your suspension is moved to the center of a replacement driveshaft. the kit can be had from a few good vendors. I would recommend Tom Woods Driveshafts or JE Reel. Some off road stores will install them, as will most driveline transmission shops or if you are a competent mechanic, you can do it yourself. The kits run a little under $500.
    The other issue on a TJ Wrangler is alignment. Since it has a two piece tie rod that scissors as it is loaded and unloaded, it needs to be properly aligned after it is lifted. Not aligning it will cause two things, uneven tire wear that will cause vibration and it can cause what we call in the Jeep community the "death wobble" which is a violent shimmy at high speed that is undrivable and extremely damgerous. be sure to also check all bushings and tie rod ends for wear.
    Buy a quality lift kit, get it aligned and get the driveshaft kit and you will enjoy your modified Jeep alot more than if you skip anything...
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Not quite true on the OME. The 2.5" lift will/can give you over 3" of lift.

They do sell a 4" spring option and longer shocks as well.

I have also heard those 4" springs don't ride as nicely as the shorter springs.

-Paul
  • mguerin1mguerin1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 Liberty Ltd, with an RBQ 6 disc in dash changer. I have in my old car an after market Kenwood Sirius receiver and head unit.

Does anyone know if the RBQ head unit is compatible with the Kenwood Sirius Receiver. I'd like to avoid swapping out the head unit. I like the disc changer.

On a second note. If I do swap out the head units to the aftermarket Kenwood in my old car will the Steering wheel audio controls still work?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    THe Kenwood receiver probably needs some kind of interface to make it compatible with the OEM head unit.

My XM receiver in my Jeep is a generic one, but I have an Alpine-specific 'adapter' interface that lets it work with my Alpine head unit with no problem. So perhaps check crutchfield.com to see what is available. They could probably help better.

As for the steering controls, if you go aftermarket on the HU, chances are the steering wheel audio controls will not work. Again I could be wrong, but if it WILL work, an adapter probably will not be cheap.

-Paul
  • mstoverinkmstoverink Member Posts: 22
    I have a 97 JGC 5.2 liter V8 with the premium sound package that includes the Infinity amp. My in dash CD player has gotten to the point that it's intermitten at best. It definately won't play any CD R's or RW's and on brand new store bought CD's it's hit or miss whether they read or not. I've cleaned it several times and nothing. Anyway I want to upgrade and wouldn't mind staying factory but want to upgrade to a newer model (like 2004-2006.) Does anyone know if that's possible and would I have to go through the dealer for this or are there other options? Otherwise if I need to go aftermarket (which is probably cheaper) I was wondering if anyone has had problems with this upgrade with the Infinity amp? Thanks for any help. -Mark.
  • dansmonsterjeedansmonsterjee Member Posts: 1
    if you want most any part imaginable check out http://quadratec.com/
  • jeepyj89jeepyj89 Member Posts: 1
    I recently aquired my first jeep a 94 yj and it is a 4 cyclinder. I want to add a 6.5" SOA lift and 33's. Many people have said that i can do this with completely killing my engine but i think otherwise. Besides of a engine swap im looking for some good mods to beef up this 2.5l engine so it can haul this lift and tires.
  • promtberpromtber Member Posts: 3
    I was told that the radio in my Grand Cherokee Limited is ready for IPOD connection, but haven't found any info on how to connect. Any help is greatly appreciated. Dealer advised that it could just be plugged into front radio. Is there an adapter or anything???? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.