Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram (2002) UNVEILED!

Comments

• Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    coming from a dodge man at heart, i must admit i'm a little underwhelmed with the 02' ram. i can't confirm this but it appears from photos that the 02' quad is smaller inside than an f150 supercrew (my current vehicle). can anyone confirm this? also, the fact that dodge isn't going to have the 5.7l ready for 02' is another disappointment. also appears that they are not gonna produce any quads with sunroofs. interior on slt+ looks nice, leather and all, but looks like no rear headrests! as for styling, i guess i'll wait to see the real thing. but, again i'm underwhelmed from the photos. rear shot looks way too much like a ford!

as for this 45rfe and 545rfe stuff, i'm not a tranny tech but a friend of mine is. he said the 545rfe is basically the same as the 45rfe except that the powertrain computer is able to eek another ratio out of the planetary gearsets. he said this tranny's setup is such that if dodge wanted to, they could easily get another couple ratios out of its gearset.
  • Options
    wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Watched the Chicago Auto Show on SpeedVision tonight. Great piece on 4-door
    trucks, but..... no news or coverage on the Avalanche?!!! Showed the Cadillac
    Escalade and the Lincoln Blackwood but best of all showed the new 2002 Dodge
    Ram with 4 doors and shortened bed option. Very impressive looking truck!! I was going to
    buy an Avalanche when they come out but I just may wait a few more months and go for the Dodge. This one really looks like a truck without the ugly side-body cladding, etc.

By the way the show will be on again tonight at 12 midnight Eastern and on Friday,
    March 16th at Noon.
  • Options
    sportsman500sportsman500 Member Posts: 1
    I like the new ram it looks tuff. I how they still offer the off road package for it.
  • Options
    greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    Well, I'm not much of a believer in overhead-cam engines in full-size trucks (and certainly not that cammy monster in the Tundra!), but the new 5.7 Hemi pushrod? Thats gonna be a motor to die for! I can't WAIT to read some reviews and test-drive that 353-hp (est) monster! I hope they make a big-block version of it.

My vision: 2003 Dodge Dakota 5.7 Hemi R/T. THE fastest production truck in the world, never mind the Lightning!

As I understand, the current 5.9 I-6 Cummins is a de-tuned version of a motor that actually makes about 1200 HP, so theres really no reason to drop it, just steadily "re-tune" it!

Another question: If the Hemi design is so spectacularly efficient and powerful, why havent they used that design on every motor theyve built since the '70s? It wouldve given them a HUGE advantage over the competition.
  • Options
    greg,

a dodge mechanic told me that the new 5.7l v/8 will not have a true hemi head but will be sort of a hybrid between that and a semi wedge design like chevy currently produces. don't ask me for details about this cause i couldn't provide them. and all i know is that "reportedly" hemi head designs weren't particularly good with emissions. dodge seems to be addressing this partly with dual spark plugs per cylinder, and of course better fuel/air management and more costly catalytic converters.
  • Options
    glenn2glenn2 Member Posts: 39
    I was really hoping for a big step forward with the new Dodge and we basically get a "mild makeover". I'm not impressed. I also read it's going to take another TWO years to get the 2500/3500 series out......Come on guys, you need to get it together. You got in the game for the first time in 94 but your falling behind again.
  • Options
    richiebrichieb Member Posts: 4
    I am very happy to see the 2002 Dodge Ram. Better motor and front suspension. Larger Cabin. Easier Rear Access. Updated Styling. Hopefully they massaged the interior with more creature comforts. In comparing my 2001 Quad SLT to my brothers 2000 GMC Quad SLE, on the inside the GMC seemed a little more refined. Better climate control system, better seat controls, more rear seat room w/headrests, larger rear entry, on-dash 4wd control, better all-around drive train/front suspension and MPG !!! I was always content in the fact that my Dodge rides and drives much better, was quieter inside, had much more comfortable seats, looked a hell of a lot better and seemed to be made much better. You should hear all the rattles in his cabin, not to mention the several trips to the loacl GMC dealer for not so routine repairs.
    I can not wait to test drive one. Although I am afraid I will not be able to wait for the new large bore engines and trannies.
  • Options
    I was leafing through some truck mags at the grocery store stand and it seems that more and more pictures and write-ups are becoming available for the new 2002 Doge trucks. However, I have not seen any articles with specifications, dimensions, interior room, load and towing ranges, etc. Does anyone know if this info is available and, if so, where I can get my hands on it? Also, anyone have any dates or timeframes for when these trucks will be hitting the dealer's lots?

Thanks, Wayne
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    http://www.pickuptruck.com They have done a test drive already..................
  • Options
    Thanks, this is a good article but it doesn't have any specification info in it. Do you know if this info is available anywhere yet? I am especially interested in what the total length of the vehicle will be with the 4-door option. Also what will be the towing capability with the 4.7 liter engine. I suppose it will be very similar to that of the Dakota with the same engine, but it would be nice to hear this from Dodge.

Thanks,
    Wayne
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I believe that the dodge web site has info.
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    http://www.4adodge.com and sign up for info about the truck, they will send you the brochures

hot off the press,probably before your dealer get it.
  • Options
    ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    Saw the 2002 RAM at the NYC auto show. Wow! One of the cleanest examples of industrial design I have ever seen. Raymond Lowey would be proud.

Ed
  • Options
    My understanding was that for 2002 the Dodge Ram would not get the new 5.7 Hemi. However, in the latest issue of Motor Trend, within the article about the Dodge Hemi concept car, it is stated that the new Hemi engine would be available in the Dodge Ram for 2002 but in a less potent form than the 350 HP version in the concept car. Anybody have more insight into this? Will the hemi possibly debut some time within the model year in a detuned version?

Thanks,
    Wayne
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The 5.7 Hemi ran into some production/engineering problems. It will not be available in 2002 unless they change thier mind again. They do not want to take a chance on releasing an engine that will not be up to expectations at this point. More details can be found on car-truck.com.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    from what I've read, will debut in MY'03, not MY'02.

Bob
  • Options
    according to dodge's own website, the 5.9l will continue on as the largest v/8 for 02. it doesn't say anything about the 5.7l, but from what others are saying, that motor should be ready for 03. i for one am really disappointed that this new engine won't be available right at the starting block. i'm afraid the 4.7l (while a great motor in itself) just won't have the guts to motivate a heavy quad cab around with authority! guess i'll have to wait until late 02 before i even think about trading in my 5.4l ford supercrew...
  • Options
    I also read somewhere recently that the Jeep Cherokee is going to get an HO version of the 4.7 liter in 2002 that will boost the HP from 235 to 270. Any chance that this might be an option for the Dodge 2002 trucks? Sure would help out on a full-size truck to have that extra horsepower. Wonder what the torque rating on the HO will be?

Wayne
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    My guess, if that shows up, it will be a Jeep exclusive.

Bob
  • Options
    milt721milt721 Member Posts: 83
    I did back-to-back drives with several new Rams (4.7 manual, 4.7 auto, 5.9 auto, and several other body configurations), old Ram (5.9 auto), Ford F-150 Super Crew (5.4 auto) and Toyota Tundra (4.7 auto). All of them accelerated about the same except for the Toyota which was slightly quicker. I didn't have actual instruments for testing, my tests consisted of flooring the trucks from a stop and looking at the speedo when I passed a line on the pavement (closed course). Almost all of them were going 70 mph (+ or -) at the second line except for the Toyota, which was going 75 mph. Not scientific, (who knows if the speedos were accurate) but I was just trying to get an idea. I'd guess that when actually towing or hauling, the pushrod engines would accelerate quicker.
  • Options
    milte,

how is it that you were able to test said trucks side by side, including the yet to be produced 02' ram? fess up, if there really is anything behind your story.

btw, are u aware that there was only one pushrod engine in your so-called comparison test? that being the 5.9l dodge engine.
  • Options
    I do marketing work for DCX. And no, I did not realize the only pushrod was the 5.9L. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    marketing, eh! for chrysler nonetheless. no wonder the 02' ram did so well!
  • Options
    I said the Toyota did well.
  • Options
    badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    What I don't like is the IFS. The live axle is far stronger and easier to modify.

I hope they upgrade the engines. I mean 235 and 245Hp. C'mon this is the 21st century let's get with it. Chevy and Ford are running away with all the ponies
  • Options
    Our local newspaper (Knoxville, TN) has a dealer listing which indicates that you can now order the 2002 Dodge Ram four-door truck from them. Has anyone else seen this in their area? Does anyone know if the pricing information is available on the internet yet? I checked Edmunds.com last evening and did not see anything for the 2002 models.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This is a dealer website - one of their employees was abvle to climb over a carrier truck loaded with 02 Rams. Check out the decent pics at Charlie's Dodge

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
  • Options
    eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I think those chromed wheels are about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Otherwise, I like it.
  • Options
    warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    I just read the press release from Cummins regarding their contract with DC. They will be the sole supplier of Diesel engines for the next generation of Dodge trucks. Maybe this will put all those rumors about MB and Detroit and what ever other engines the rumor mill has been generating.
  • Options
    check out this link for some pics of pre-production 02 rams...enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/moparman94/2002Ram.htm

• Options
    Don,

Thanks for the pictures link. These trucks look like they are gonna be a another big hit for Dodge. I will look at them seriously when they hit the lots. I suppose these pictures were taken at an assembly plant? Can't wait for them to arrive at the dealers. Will be comparing to the Avalanche and Supercrew. So far - by looks alone - the Dodge wins hands down!
  • Options
    tavgradtavgrad Member Posts: 201
    I saw a red 4x4 pre production one last month, uncovered, driving on the streets of LA. It had the Michigan plates. It was indeed gorgeous.

Yes, I pulled up to the driver and for ten minutes, with both the windows down, yelling back and forth, he WILLINGLY answered all of the questions.

It looks about 2 inches taller and slightly wider. The flared sides are even MORE flared, and the grill is not as "in your face". The rear doors, not exactly full, are far larger than the competitors. I looked in when we stopped at a light, and yes, it is roomy enough for some long-legged teens. The tires are big. I think they were 18's. I could not find a thing to complain about with this.

Pricing will be same as the current model, and he said that Mid fall they will be out.

I agree, wfbarto. The SUpercrew's only advantage is the extra room in cab and the 20 hp. But The dodge has my vote in looks.

And as for the Avalanche? I turned completely away from it. That plastic cladding is...is...cheesy.
  • Options
    That blue one is MINE. Get your eyes off of it.
  • Options
    it will be interesting to see just how roomy the new quad cab is. my s-crew is quite roomy inside and that would be hard to give up just for some exterior excitement. also, i certainly hope dodge gets on the stick and promptly starts putting headrests on the rear seats, offers a sunroof and lastly adds options like auto climate control and auto headlights. theses are all options that ford has on the s-crew.
  • Options
    wesyangwesyang Member Posts: 32
    Can anyone point me a link to the new Ram spec. What is the new towing capacity of new Ram? Thanks
  • Options
    email, you will give up some leg room, but not much. It's not a crew cab. It's basically an extended cab, but offers traditional rear doors. Have you sat in a full size gm pickup? Add about 8 or more inches in the rear legroom area. The one I saw last month was a sport model, and it had cloth interior and no headrests. But bear in mind, that was a preproduction model.

wesyang, according to two publications, the ram's towing, payload ratings have increased. I seriously doubt that dodge will redesign something and it falls short of the competition.

www.trucktrend.com
    search, then click "first look", "dodge", "ram", "2002".
    They have an article on the 02 ram.
  • Options
    From the pictures - it looks like that is the color for me too! I need to see them in person though to really see what I like the best. I also want to compare the sport models with the body-colored bumpers and trim in the front to the more traditional chrome grill set-up. Not sure which I like better - it is also color dependent.

I am also interested in how much smaller the backseat will be than the Supercrew or the Avalanche. Don't really want to sacrifice too much here. The ride quality will also be important. As far as the options that emale mentions such as headrests for the backseat, sunroof or auto climate control/headlights - I could care less about those things. Just not important to me. I hope they do a good job on seat comfort though - that is important. Sounds like they will price out at quite a bit less than the Supercrew or the Avalanche for how I want mine equpped.

Last thing - I tried to follow your instructions to the article at www.trucktrend.com and could not find the article. Could you copy and paste the URL to the Board? Thanks.
  • Options
    Too many red ones out there.

The guy that was driving the premix model said that it rides smooth. A new IS, it should.

I agree about those extra items. This pickup would be primarily a play house.

You know how much the current models cost now. Less than a super crew. A real fully equipped ST+ now is under $33k. Quad cabs start at 22 with auto and air.

wfbarto, I tried. Let me type in

http://www.trucktrend.com/loin_join_custom/search_index.html

and see if that does it. Or better yet, try

thinkhttp://www.trucktrend.com/editorial/article.jsp?viewtype=text&id=20758

http://www.trucktrend.com/editorial/article.jsp?viewtype=text&id=20758

One a' those should do it. Enjoy.

• Options
    here is another link to a very recent article about the 02' ram...

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0723/ram723.htm

• Options
    I hope these answer most of the cabin and smooth ride questions.

Well, it is confirmed it for me. This will be the next pickup. November.

What does it mean by "The official launch is in mid-September, but the vehicle is in production and small numbers are heading to dealers."? Does that mean that short supply, high demand?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi tavgrad

What it means is, official production began yesterday (July 23), but like the Jeep Liberty launch, DC wants to A) start slow to avoid problems, and B) they want to make sure that all Dodge dealers have enough Rams to offer the lot hunters as test drivers.

The 2002 Ram 1500s produced prior to this week will be used as internal corporate vehicles. Basically, they'll be used as test vehicles for dealer staff to drive and examine for maintenance and repair.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
  • Options
    Good. I remember the issue when considering the toyota tundra. They were not marking them up, but they just did not have any at my friendly neighborhood toy dealers.

I'll hit the dealer in late october. thanks
  • Options
    here is a press release from dc:

The First All-New 2002 Dodge Ram Truck Rolls Off The Production Line in St. Louis

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jul 24, 2001 - The first all-new 2002 Dodge Ram Truck rolled off the assembly line today at the Chrysler Group's St. Louis North Assembly Plant (SLNAP), which is the beginning of a three-plant production ramp-up that will create the capacity to build more than 400,000 Dodge Ram trucks annually.

The plant held a Job One ceremony today, marking the first day customer-ready vehicles began rolling off the production line. Joseph L. Driskill, Missouri Director of Economic Development; and Dennis J. Hancock, Mayor of Fenton; joined Dieter Zetsche, President & CEO of Chrysler Group; hundreds of employees; and company, community and union leaders at the ceremony. As part of the event, Zetsche test drove a new Dodge Ram, declaring that SLNAP was ready for volume production.

Zetsche also announced a new product for the plant: the all-new Dodge Ram 2500 heavy-duty truck coming next year.

"The all - new Dodge Ram will once again set a new benchmark in the truck segment by improving and amplifying every area of the truck, from design to handling to performance and capability," said Dieter Zetsche, Chrysler Group President and CEO. "The same words that describe the new Dodge Ram- powerful, capable, versatile, reliable- apply to all people who have worked so hard to bring this truck to the market, from the people here at the plant, to all the engineers and suppliers throughout the value chain."

The flexibility of SLNAP enabled the company to reach quality targets much earlier in the pre-launch phase by building early prototype vehicles on the production line to validate processes and train employees. SLNAP will continue to share best practices and lessons learned with Saltillo (Mexico) and Warren Truck Assembly Plants (Detroit) as they begin ramping up Dodge Ram production in August and September.

"The men and women of the St. Louis North team, along with our other stamping, powertrain and component plants, have stepped up to the plate to make this a successful launch," said Gary Henson, Chrysler Group Executive Vice President Manufacturing. "The flexibility of our truck operations will allow us to adjust volume as needed, while running at higher utilization rates, which is much more efficient. Likewise, as part of our restructuring, we are consolidating our truck operations to bring our capacity more in line with the market."

With next year's closing of the Lago Alberto Assembly Plant (Mexico), the company will consolidate its truck production from four to three truck plants.

St. LOUIS NORTH ASSEMBLY PLANT
    The company invested $480 million in SLNAP to launch the new Dodge Ram, including the addition of an all new 360,000 sq. ft. body shop. The flexibility of the plant enabled the company to build more than 700 pre-production trucks prior to launch in order to validate quality levels.

"The team has been working really hard, not only to prepare for this launch, but making significant improvements in quality and efficiency," said Jim Nihls, SLNAP Plant Manager. "Through their continued hard work they earned the new heavy-duty 2500 truck, and it was fitting that it was announced today."

SLNAP has the capacity to produce 150,000 trucks annually, or 592 per day with 2,800 employees on a normal, two-shift operation. The plant has the flexibility to produce Regular and Quad Cab; S+, SLT, SLT+ and Sport; 4x4 and 4x2; 3.7-liter V-6, 4.7-liter V-8 and 5.9-liter V-8 versions of the all-new 2002 Dodge Ram.

ERROR PROOFING FOR QUALITY
    By using a combination of statistical process controls and performance feedback systems (PFS), the company is error proofing its production processes to ensure top quality. The system is designed to halt production if quality build criteria are not met. For example, if a bolt isn't tightened to the degree specified (measured through the torque wrench which is connected to the PFS system) the specific operation will shut down until it has been corrected.

The Company also inspects vehicles throughout body, paint and assembly processes, as well as a series of tests after the vehicles roll off the final assembly line. Once complete, the vehicles are tested on an evaluation course at the facility.
  • Options
    Now I can sleep tight.
    I'm sure there are a few dealers that have one or two in the showroom right now. Ready to take orders. Who's gettin in line with me??
  • Options
    here is link that features more information about the new ram...enjoy!

http://www.mayoroftruckville.com/flash.html

• Options
    Thanks emale, I registered.
  • Options
    durango508durango508 Member Posts: 37
    Anybody seen pricing information for the new Rams yet? (edmunds, kbb, etc.)
    It would seem if they are rolling off the assembly line in St. Louis
    there should be something available now or very soon.

Thanks!
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    car-truck.com. They published pricing information last week.
  • Options
    I just got a postcard yesterday. The 2002 Ram 1500's official date is September 15th.
This discussion has been closed.