Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram (2002) UNVEILED!

Comments

• truktpctruktpc Member Posts: 2
    If the new Ram 1500 came with the 5.7L Hemi I would drive down to the nearest dealer today and trade my Ford F150. I love the truck. I am excited about buying it but most everything I have read about the old 5.9L has not been good. As soon as the hemi is available I am buying. Another thing that put Dodge at a disadvantage is the options/packages available on the RAM 1500. Ford offers packages and options in almost every combination imaginable. I would have had a dodge now had it not been for the restrictive nature of the option/packages. Why couldn't I get the SLT Plus in a 4.7L? It seems to me dodge production managers have put themselves at a disadvantage to the other manufacturers. I will wait for the 5.7L and hope I can get the SLT plus with it.
    Curtis
  • brando69brando69 Member Posts: 47
    I did a search on the net and found various articles on the new 5.7L Hemi engine. It will be out this summer for the Ram 2500 and 3500. The 5.7l HEMI V-8 will produce 305 to 335hp, 340 to 365lbs of torque. A Motor Trend article said that the new HEMI V-8 is one of the strongest V-8's ever built. In 2003, you will be able to get the 5.9L Hemi in the Ram 1500. I want the new Ram 1500 Quad Cab but I sure would like to have that Hemi motor. I may wait a year and save my money.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    dodge press materials state the hemi (at least in the '03 heavy duties) will have 345 hp/365 lb/ft. not exactly sure what the hemi will produce in the half ton, however i'm sure it will be very close to the heavy duty numbers...
  • lamaratworklamaratwork Member Posts: 10
    Shoot me an email JLamar@knology.net

Randall Noe will take good care of you.

Demetriusk! Let me know how your deal goes. Where are you traveling from to get the truck? When will it be ready? Keep us all updated. 1200 miles on mine and all is well. Just tagged it this morning.
    Karen will soon start a new club for us under "owners clubs"
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    What did you guys drive just a few short years ago when 240 hp was more than most big blocks were packing? The 4.7 will out run most folk's skill level as is. What are you going to tie on to that you can't drag past the legal (or sensible) speed limit in short order? This whole "I would buy a Dodge if it had a bigger motor" argument is comical to me. It's a truck. If you want to go fast, buy a little car with a big motor. Even with a bigger motor, a truck isn't going to win any races. It's just going to stop a more gas stations. So what if it takes you an extra few seconds to get going fast enough to get a ticket. Someone enlighten me.

From the dark,
    Twinscrew
    twinscrew,

it has absolutely nothing to do with beating the neighbor kids camaro to the next stop light. i like driving a vehicle that is relaxed with plenty of reserve punch, even at highway speeds. for example, my 4x4 s-crew seems to travel effortlessly at 80 mph on the interstate and thus "rarely" kicks out of overdrive to make it up any hill. that is what i appreciate about having a bigger motor with more low end grunt and high end hp. my leased 97 4x4 regular cab ram would kick down on virtually every hill, and that drove me nuts!!! maybe it's just me, but i'd much rather have a serene drive than one filled with annoying up and down engine rpms/noise. that is why if i was even thinking about a dodge, i would have to wait for the hemi...
  • lamarjlamarj Member Posts: 21
    My Quad kicked into high gear when pulling hills frequently on my return trip from Texas to Alabama. I set the cruise at 80 and let er rip. The shifts did not bother me. I rode the same interstates the night before on a tractor/trailer pulling a full load. My 55 yr old, 120lb Mom was at the wheel. She had the cruise of the Freightliner set to 65. It kicked into high gear constantly on hills. It didn't bother her, it doesn't bother me.

I like the looks of the Screw. It is a handsome truck. My local dealers are really proud of them too.$$$

I am with Twinscrew on this one. At 37 years old, I laugh at the Ford and Chevy owners that pull up beside me over the past week at traffic lights, gun their engines, then drag race (alone) to the next light. This is racing country (Nascar) and folks like engines that are fast 0-60+. I like racing, but not my truck. It has plenty of power. More than I need.

I have a friend that jsut spent $12 large more than I did for a Chevy HD 2500 Diesel, Allison tranny etc. It will pull the bumper off of my truck. It never downshifts. He could clear a forest with the truck and a chain. He could move mobile homes with it. There are lots of them around here. Instead, he drives it to work 5 times a week. Did I mention he paid $12G more?
    lamar,

like mother, like son, eh...?
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    that the Ram 1500 will get the Hemi in January 2003 after the HD launch this fall.....
  • penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    I agree with twinscrew. The truth is that as long as someone is willing to make a morepowerful engine, people will feel the need to compare and shop for more horsepower. My grandfather drove a 6 cylinder 150hp Ford truck for almost 30 years, and he thought it was fast. Just think, in 10 years we can complain about the unacceptable 350hp engines waiting for the new 400hp before we buy.
    You got it!

Most people, when I tell them my parents are truck drivers, visualize my Mother as sort of a razor stubbled Babe Ruth looking, big, fat, sweaty, bee-acch. She actually joined my Dad after all of the kids were out of the nest 17 years ago. She is a little bitty, quite attractive lady who, if you saw her on the street, you would never think she drives to California once a week in a tractor/trailer.

By the way, my Dad, Ford to the core since before birth, calls me two to three times a week now. Topic? My new Quad. He has the FEVER. He will be stopping at Randall Noe for himself soon, I'm sure..
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I agree with you - a few tears ago 200HP was more than enough - now 245 HP is considered slow.

I think you need to compare HP and MPG. I am sure any manufacture could build a truck engine that puts out 500 HP, but would get 3 MPG - and I would also think they could build an engine that gets 25 MPG, but then it would only have 150 HP.

The thing that I like to see is when a company builds an engine that gets more HP and ALSO gets better MPG.

I don't think anyone will question the Hemi delivering in the HP department - but will they also deliver an engine that gets 15 MPG or better?
  • pushplaypushplay Member Posts: 52
    email is still bothering people.All of us who have the 4.7 know we have more than enough power or would not have bought them. Sure the 5.7 will have more HP, but few will truly need it and those who do should go with the 2500 or 3500 Cummins. I had a Chevy 5.3 and like this 4.7 a lot better so far. The 5.3 had a little more power at high speeds, but not enough for the mileage and cost.
    i say why not get the bigger engine when the gas mileage penalty is nill. for example, my 4x4 5.4l screw gets the same gas mileage as the 4.7l 4x4 quad on the highway, and is actually rated better in town (pushplay - don't try to compare a 2wd to 4wd). why wouldn't i get the more powerful motor if i don't have to shell out anymore money in the long run! like i said, the extra hp/torque ain't for racin', it is for relaxed, serene driving. these trucks aren't exactly light ya know and all the power you can get is well worth it.
  • truktpctruktpc Member Posts: 2
    For all of you out there trucks are not just trucks anymore. IF YOU STILL THINK SO, no wonder you are still talking about your mothers and grandmother driving them. YOU ARE BEHIND THE POWER CURVE. Limited slip differential, 4wd ABS, leather interior, entertainment systems, hydrofrom bodies, 20 inch wheels, dual power heated seats, and remote entry just to name a few things. My truck is my family sedan plus a little bit more. NO I do not want an SUV either. They are cars with a truck's body and the standards have changed on evaluating their performance. I bought my first truck, Ford F150 because it drove like a car. It is comical to me when I hear it is only a truck. To me truck does not mean the same as it did ten years ago.
    Most options/accessories are not used on any vehicle most of the time but when I need/want it the most I hope to have the ability to use it at the appropriate moment. I may not need the power of the 5.7L hemi all the time but when I need it the most for just that special occasion or moment I will have the means available. If you want the 4.7L or 5.9L go for it. Did you know that the 4.7L is not available with the SLT plus package? Why the heck not?
    Curt
    people would not try and advise on an engine unless they have personally driven one. E-mail you are commenting on the 4.7 which you personally have not been around the last I knew.
    I seen somewhere somebody said they were going to set up an all Ram site. Please hurry so we can cut out the bs from poeple like e-mail.
    i did drive a 4.7l 4x4 equipped dakota quad over a year ago. it seemed to have enough grunt in that truck. but that truck is significantly less portly than the ram quad. interestingly enough, the 4.7l DAKOTA quad 4x4 automatic gets no better gas mileage than a full size 4x4 s-crew or ram quad...wonder why that is?

btw, pushplay, who is spreading BS. at least my posts are informative. anyone can get on here and repeatedly write "it's good to know the mayor". i would like to know what value there is in that statement...?
    I repeatedly read information from people who drive the 4.7 daily and those who are shopping and doing test drives. They are very happy with the power, speed, and handling of the 4.7. Check out Brando's recent post on the other Dodge string. Admittedly, the gas mileage sucks. You can find 100's of cars and a bunch of "trucks" that can outperform the Quad in this area. If MPG is what dazzles you, buy one of those.

I read the articles in Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc. They all mention the need for more "grunt". I then see that same term used in other newspaper articles when describing the 4.7 performance. Now I see it all over Edmunds. Lot's of folks are reading each others opinion and passing it off as fact without checking into it first hand. I do not trust the magazines. They get heavy advertising dollars from the same companies who they praise/criticize. Something is fundamentally wrong with that deal. I began to think I was driving an underpowered truck after reading all of the misguided information from postings on Edmunds. It is not so, though. It may not be the fastest, or have the most ponies, but it has plenty of power and speed for the reasons most people buy a 1500 series truck.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I thought Dodge "owned" or at least held 51% of one of the car magazines.
    think so xyz71. If they did you would not see anything negative about their products.
    about a truck you do not own or have driven is being informative. GEESE
    not one with the 4.7l. several months ago i drove a 5.9l equipped quad and was underwhelmed. i can't image the 4.7l in a 4x4 quad performing any better than the 5.9l since it has less ponies and lb/ft. the 45rfe automatic behind the 4.7l might be able to mask the power/torque difference abit, but overall i see no reason to dispute consistent statements saying "4.7l needs more grunt". that is just the way it is. i'll say it again, i'd never buy a dodge 4x4 quad with the 4.7l engine, too much truck for too little engine. bring on the hemi!!!
  • brando69brando69 Member Posts: 47
    Here's a link to info on the Hemi engine. It may be worth the wait.

http://allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    If you are buying a pickup for street use and occasional light duty hauling (in the bed), no doubt the 4.7 will be just fine. If you go 4x4, intend to do any serious off-road work or tow anything, more torque the better.
  • demetriuskdemetriusk Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know why the payload on the 2002 Dodge Quad 4x4 is only 1520 lbs compared to the F150 SC 4x4 which is 2670 lbs ?. Am I reading something wrong?
    here is the info i found. it is based on comparing a 4x4 4.7l quad swb to a 4x4 4.6l ford s-crew.

dodge ford
    max payload 1517 1495
    max tow capa 4200 6200

i couldn't really determine why there is such a large difference in tow capacity.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Wouldn't "the dealer price" for the vehicle be the invoice price minus the 3% holdback? That's roughly $800 below invoice. With a $1500 rebate it wouldn't be difficult to find one for $1500 below invoice. That seems to be a pretty substantial difference. Not to mention a 100K powertrain warranty through 3/31/02. That's worth maybe another $1000 if you keep it long term.
    I had the same problems when trying to buy a Ram. They don't seem to actually have them in many of the combinations they advertise. ABS is rare, side airbags seem non-existant. And god help you if you want a Regular cab with 20" wheels, or on any Ram that isn't $34,000 and loaded to the hilt. Sure, the brochure says it's available, but it's not. We did a search and found ONE black or red one in the COUNTRY, and they wanted $700 to ship it to us, so I passed. And if you special order, you risk losing a $1500 rebate and 100K powertrain warranty.

I wound up with a Black Silverado reg cab Z71 sportside. Slapped on some American racing wheels and better tires (they come with crummy Firestones) Very sharp truck. But more expensive than the Ram I wanted. But I just couldn't find a ram except in quad cab. I must say, the Silverado is much faster than the Rams, but hey, let's be real, these are trucks, not sports cars. The Ram 4.7 is more than adequate for 2wd and regular cabs, and probably acceptable if you get the 3.92 axle on 4x4 quad cabs.
    I don't have kids so I never use my truck's back seat except for storage and dogs. But I'm curious. Why do so many truck buyers worry so much about how comfortable seating is in the back? Sure, you want it to be reasonable back there, but is an inch or three really that important to you as the person who is driving and paying for it? I would think the typical user only rarely has anyone back there at all, with a majority of them hauling only children most of the time, and adults maybe on short trips like out to eat, not on cross-country treks. And since your teenager with the long legs or friends aren't offering to chip in on your payments, why are you so concerned about their comfort? It's not like you're asking them to ride in the back of a Porsche 911 or 944. Now that is torture.

I find it interesting that children today are coddled in comfort to a degree that would have been automatically considered absurd in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid. I rode accross the USA and back at age 10 in the tiny 3rd row seat of a station wagon. My brothers' odorific body eminations bothered me a lot more than any perceived lack of leg room. My point is that most kids below 13 probably couldn't care less about leg room, seeing as their legs don't touch the floor anyway, and I never minded sitting in the back of my friend's small cars as a teenager. It just wasn't a factor at that age.

I see a lot of $35,000+ SUV's and $30,000 plus pickups out there that are basically $20,000 pickups with a bit more sheet metal and maybe an extra $500 seat. In case you weren't aware, profit margins are much higher on crew cabs and SUV's than pickups or sedans. That rear seat comfort may well be costing you big time.

I suggest putting a tip jar on the back of your seat for your passengers to show their gratitude to you for considering their comfort. Or, if you want rear seat comfort, buy an old BMW 740il, not a pickup truck. You can play ping pong in that back of that.

By all means, if you regularly transport average or tall people, go for the extra space, but if your rear seat rarely sees anything besides the rear end of a 4 y/o, why not look at the other more important attributes of the vehicle?

I can understand needing a basic amount of room back there, say the diiference in a Ram and a Dakota...but worrying about differences between full size trucks...I just find that funny.
    There is more to performance than peak HP or Torque numbers. Other things like gearing, where in the power band the peak is acheived, and in the case of the 4.7, a more efficient transmission, can make a "small" engine perform as well or better than a big one. And some engines "feel" stronger than others. My Tundra, for example, pulls much more smoothly and strong than my Silverado's 5.3, which is a fine engine. But the Tundra feels stronger because it does it w/o a lot of noise and fuss. The lighter Tundra and the Silverado are about equal in 0-60 times, btw.
    Back seat room is a major consideration for me. I regularly transport my sprouting children. If I have a choice, I will make the best choice for my situation. I had no choice when I traveled long distances in the back seat of my Parents' 1976 Toyota Corolla hatchback (2 door). My big brother, me, and sis in the back. South Alabama in the summer with no A/C. We never complained. For financial reasons, that was the choice....then.

I agree with your statement about young people today. Has it not been repeated by every generation, though?

I also agree with your statement about the cost of most SUV's and well equipped large pickups. I remember pricing trucks many years ago, just before SUV's started taking over the landscape. I was amazed at the value compared to passenger cars with the same equipment. The "law" of supply and demand did nothing to drive the prices down. Sort of like gas prices. Over the past several years, just prior to every major holiday (or spring break) gas prices have escalated. More usage, higher prices. Whats up with that?

I would not trade my Quad for any truck available. The back seat room is but one of the many appealing attributes..to me. The great deal I got was the major reason I chose the Dodge Quad. Had I known how much I would enjoy it, price would not have been such an issue.

"More important attributes" are different things to different people.
    the s-crew i drive serves as my only vehicle. therefore, when i take people along with me, i want them to be in reasonable comfort, even if it is a truck. doesn't matter if it's a kid or adult, or whether or not i "ever" park my [non-permissible content removed] in the backseat. overall comfort for all passengers is simply imperative to me.

brucec35,

about peak hp, etc. agree, completely!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm here to announce the new Dodge Ram Owners Club club now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    ................>>had the same problems when trying to buy a Ram. They don't seem to actually have them in many of the combinations they advertise. ABS is rare, side airbags seem non-existant. And god help you if you want a Regular cab with 20" wheels, or on any Ram that isn't $34,000 and loaded to the hilt.<<

When I first started looking a RAMs in mid-November, there wasn't much of anything around here in Western, New York State. By December the RAM Quads began coming in. I noticed that conventional cabs were non-existent, at least until mid-January. The local Dodge dealer now appears to have a equal amount of both. In fact, a friend of mine wanted a 5-speed V6 regular cab and didn't find one until the third week in February here. The different box lengths are still not in abundant supply.

To the best of my knowledge the dealers submit the orders and specify the equipment. The dealer here seems to have a propensity for 4x4 SLT Quads, and 2x4 Quads with trailer towing and limited slip. Another dealer in the city seems to like SLT pluses. All that I've seen have the upgraded interior with the neat flip seats in the back, too.

Dusty
  • wlm26wlm26 Member Posts: 33
    After an exhausting trial of waiting, arguing, and fighting, I finally got my 2002 Ram QC!!!! Here's the particulars: Silver, 4X4, 4.7L, leather interior, 4whl ABS, side curtain airbags, sport appearence group w/ 20" wheels, trailer tow, security package, AMFM cassete/CD player w/ infinity speakers, 3.92 rear w/ antispin, protection package, rear sliding window, steering wheel audio controls, power pedals, engine heater (anyone know what this entails? can't find anything to use to "heat it up"). Yeah, it's more than I wanted, but it was a demo and the MSRP started out at $35. Went through 2 dealers at John Elway Autonation Dodge out here in Englewood, CO, and finally ending up "haggling" with the general manager. Took 5 and a half hours to get the deal. He started out at $31 and said he couldn't go below that, but I finally got him down to $28 at exactly 9:45pm Friday night before last. Put down $2K and got $3200 for my trade!!!! Yeah, the hassle paid off, and to anyone who goes to Autonation, don't believe for a second that "no haggle" crap!!! I'M LOVING MY TRUCK!!!!! Only thing, though is the MPG!! I can't get above 13.6 mpg, if the readout is correct!!! Anybody added anything to their 4.7 to give it a little better MPG???? Thanks to everyone's feedback and own personal experiences!!! They helped me buy the best looking truck on the road!!!
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Now, I haven't seen one since leaving Wyoming many years ago, so my info is pretty out of date, but any truck with one ought to have an orange pigtail, like the end of a heavy-duty extension cord, up inside the grille someplace. You pull it out and plug a waterproof extension cord into it and plug it into the wall overnight and it keeps your engine oil warm so it will start in the morning. They also make battery heaters which are like miniature heating pads.
  • penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    The mileage should get better with time. At 3000 miles I just got 16.7 mpg. This was with mixed driving, 60% city, 40% freeway. Of course mine is a 2wd reg cab (4.7 auto), which could make a slight difference.
    2wd vs 4wd seems to make a huge difference in most trucks mpg figures...
    Your information still holds true. Right to the left of the "big" radiator, held down by a tie wrap is the cord. I don't think I'll really be needing it, but you never know. Thanks!!

QUESTION!!!! How do you get the light under the hood to come on?? Can't find any switch, and I can't imagine that the bulb's already blown on a brand new truck, but then again, anything's possible. Anyone by chance know???
    Okay, had my truck for 2 weeks now, and I'll be honest and say that there "is" power there, BUT it's definitely not enough for me!! My old truck was a 1/2 ton 2wd stepside Sierra, 4.3 w/ 5spd, and yes, I know there's a difference coming from a manual to an auto, and the weight being considerably different, but I notice that when punch it, there's a second of lag, then it launches, but it's nothing like Chevy's 4.8 in the slightest. Anybody got any ideas on any go-fast goodies they've bought for the 4.7 that made a real difference at the rear wheels?? And I don't mean a supercharger (definitely after the warranty's up). Thanks!!
  • newramfannewramfan Member Posts: 22
    The tornado fuel saver is supposed to help you increase both gas mileage as well as horsepower. I haven't tried it out yet, but plan to order one soon. It wasn't available on the website, but when I called they said it was available. It will cost around $65 + shipping. I also plan to buy a K&N air filter which is also supposed to increase mileage and hp. Unfortunately there was not one available for an '02 Ram with the 4.7 last I checked. It is available for the 5.9 and all Rams prior to the '02 model (to the best of my knowledge). There are some for sell that have been created to fit the '02 ram (I've seen them on E-Bay and they are selling for around $100). I'll let you know how much these items affect mileage and hp when I get them installed.
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    Let us know about the "tornado" - from what I've heard it's a cheesy rip off. I personally would just go with the K&N and save my money...at least with the K&N you save on buying air filters every 6k miles.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    This thing may work, but I doubt it. The mfg's have been spending millions on research all pushing to raise power and corporate average fuel economy for years. Any device that would do what they claim it does would be licenced as standard equipment so they can sell more excursions and surburbans that net them thousands in profits per vehicle. As it is with CAFE requirements, they have to sell Neons, Calvaliers and Focus (sometimes at a loss) just to allow them to sell the big iron.

Do you have access to a chassis dyno? That would really be neat to do testing on with the Tornado.

DD
  • jdtopperjdtopper Member Posts: 58
    ...remote start capability for the RAM w/Cummins? Who makes 'em, where can I get one, how much does it cost, and how much trouble is it to install?

Thanks...
  • cjfrenchcjfrench Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my first new car and it is the new Quad Cab 2002 1500. I had been looking for an '01 but after seeing that big, beautiful back seat and feeling just how comfortable the front seats were, I was sold.

I bought mine here around Dallas and feel like I got a really good deal. After pricing my truck with the options I paid about $700 under invoice as quoted by carpoint.msn.com and www.kbb.org.

I got the 5.9 liter (even though I really wanted the 4.7 for gas mileage) because that is all that they had on the lot. SLT package and auto transmission are the only other options.

The gas mileage is really rough right now. I'm getting around 14 mpg. The dealership, Hoyte Dodge in Sherman, said that it would noticeably increase after the first 3 to 4 thousand miles.

I really did want the keyless entry and security system so I ordered the parts from www.mydodgeparts.com for $226. The dealer said that they would not be a problem to install so I will let you know after I am finished.
  • newramfannewramfan Member Posts: 22
    I wish I had access to a chassis dyno, but I don't. I'll ask around at work to see if any of the mechanics have a dyno. Otherwise I'll just have to see if there is any noticeable gain in horses and do some calculations at the pumps for mpg.
  • gwm01gwm01 Member Posts: 5
    I also ordered the keyless entry system from Dodge as an accessory and I am curious what Dodge will charge to install it.
    I thought I could install it myself but the instructions say that it is not for the do it yourselfer - also you need the computer to program the key FOBs.
    Anyone got any idea the cost to have it installed.
  • wsmoorewsmoore Member Posts: 14
    I bought the keyless entry system as well, and went ahead and installed it
    myself even though the directions say it is not for the do-it-yourselfer. The
    install was fairly straightforward, although it took a little while to figure out
    how to remove the speedometer/guages assembly to plug the module in.
    All told it took me about an hour, probably could do it over again in about
    15 minutes.

The problem with installing it yourself is that you will not be able to
    program the key fobs. I took it to the dealer after installation, and had
    them program the key fobs. It took less than 5 minutes in the parking
    lot to program them, and they didn't charge me anything. It would have
    taken about 2 minutes, except the mopar kit instructions were wrong,
    saying to select "body programming menu" on the OBDII tool, when
    actually they need to select the "speedometer unit programming menu".
    Took the guy a couple minutes to figure that out...
  • gwm01gwm01 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks wsmoore for your response on #650. Can you give me any pointers when removing the faceplate that will guide me. I've taken these apart on other cars and, like you say, once you've done it and you know the tricks the next time you could do it with your eyes closed.

But thanks, your comments were helpful.
This discussion has been closed.