Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Accessories & Modifications

18910111214»

Comments

• wkaakajiwkaakaji Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to get a remote start installed on my 08 Sienna limited, and the local dealers tell me there is no Toyota part available, they will get a local shop to do the work, and install an after market product. Any thoughts on what would be a reasonable price to pay? The dealer is quoting $425? I have never purchased such products or service, so I am new to all this.

Thanks for your input.
  • smilesamsmilesam Member Posts: 2
    Hi Friends,

I recently purchased 08 XLE, package 3, When i first spoke to sales rep, she said it has auto dimming mirror, and when i went there to negotiate, came to know that it doesnt have it, sales rep said, she could add that for an xtra 200 bucks, went a head and agreed with it, since they could not install on the same day, they asked me to come on saturday, and one fine saturday, when i took my van to service center, they said, XLE is not pre-wired for auto dimming mirror, and they can only do after market. i aksed them to fit mirror even after market, expecting that they bare all the cost, since it is their mistake.

and more over i came to know that it doesnt have DRL(day time running lights) when the sticker shows that it has. Please suggest.. how do i negotiate with these guys,

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks
  • carbuf1carbuf1 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry, I can't help you with the negotiation proccess but, FWIW, stick to your guns on the little things and be ready to walk and they will usually fold.... Now as for the DRL's.......It is a little known secret that all the Sienna vans have DRL, they are just not switched on!!! Yes, Toyota does charge extra for them but what they do is insert a fuse into a specific slot in the fuse box under the hood and walaaa DRL's!!!! It takes all of 2 minutes to do. So what they are doing is charging you to turn them on, not to install them. If you or anybody else who wants DRL can read exactly how to do it here:

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3772

Enjoy
  • smilesamsmilesam Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much.. They have agreed to both, mirror and drl. and i' don't have to pay anything.
  • jungleroomjungleroom Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to protect the well behind the door handle from fingernail scratches? We just bought a 2009 LE in white and the entire door including handle is painted white. Is there a way to add a plastic guard behind the handle?

Also, is there anything I can add to the lower rim of the door so that it doesn't scrape on the sidewalk when the door is fully open?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The paint behind my door handles are also scratched up, good question!

I find that the door is high up enough that I've never hit a curb. The Sienna is a taller than, say, my Miata. The door hits everything.
    Any tips for removing these?

I turn the knob to get them loose, that's simple, but how do you get them all the way out? That wasn't obvious to me, and I didn't want to push it and break something.
  • danbruskidanbruski Member Posts: 1
    I have a Garmin C320 now and just ordered a Navsgo unit with backup camera (Not many reviews, so i hope it's a decent system...). My question is about hardwiring to the dash instead of having the power come from the cig.lighter and draping up the dash. I'd rather take route the power cables under the dash then up behind the dash by the firewall I guess, and then come out on top of the dash, probably exiting from near the windshield. Anyone done anything like this? If so, anything I should be worried about (I think i'll avoid all airbag exits if I stay near the center of the dash) and any ideas on routing the wires under and up?

Danbruski
    2006 Sienna XLE
    Isn't there a speaker at the top of the dash? I would try to run it through there.

Then you could run it down and maybe splice in to the back of the cigarette lighter.

Only reason I haven't done that is that I move the GPS from car to car.
  • mits130mits130 Member Posts: 1
    My father bought a new Sienna LE base model with no frills. We would like to add a flip-down DVD player as well as a GPS in the center console. Should we go with a factory installation or an aftermarket system? Thanks.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Aftermarket will be better quality and less expensive. Factory will look more integrated, but you are past that point. If you mean having the dealer install a system then that is the worst case scenario as it will be neither integrated nor inexpensive.
    I went aftermarket for both.

First, the DVD. The OE system is grossly overpriced, let's face it. For less than half the price I got a 12" DVD player installed, which dwards the OE one. 2 years later and the kids still love it.

The GPS is a little harder to decide. You can get a backup cam with a built-in one, and the screen is bigger. I heard that you can install the newer GPS from a Solara, but I was also told that you would lose the steering wheel audio controls unless you have the JBL sound option, so I passed. I think that was around $1400 last time I looked.

Even aftermarket, you still have choices. We own 3 portables, all Garmins, and they're great. 4.3" screens are now well under $200, and they're easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy to use and install.

I'd also consider a Kenwood in-dash device, though, for the big screen. They're about $800 plus installation, but the sky's the limit, you can add backup cams, bluetooth, etc. I think you can have it all for about half the price of OE built-in.

Good luck.
  • camping15camping15 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

Has anyone installed a "7" Tft Lcd Color Rear View Backup Camera System with Audio" by Camera View Safety System (Rear View Safety) on a 2006 Toyota Sienna Van?? I am thinking of buying this system, which I found on Amazon, but don't know if it will work on the Sienna. I'm afraid of interfering with the existing electrical system(s), which include a remote starter device and automatic side and back door opening and closing...Any comments? The system sounds good because the camera uses infrared to see, but I just have no idea. Please help if you can. Thank you, best, sos
  • bassdrumbassdrum Member Posts: 1
    I just traded my '05 Matrix with 273,000 km (all mine!) on a used 2007 Sienna LE with 40k. It came with the extra value package - heated and powered leather seats, power doors, etc. The only issue I have with the van is the shortage of driver kneeroom. I'm 6'1" and a lot of it is legs. I didn't have this problem with the Matrix, my '98 Sienna that I had before that, or my wife's 06 Camry or '96 Corolla. I have noticed that many new vehicles have a lower dash and kneerom is an issue (including the new Matrix and Corolla).

I love my Toyotas because in over a half million km, I have never been left at the side of the road, a claim I can't make with Ford, GM, or Chrysler, and I've owned them all! I expect to put at least 250 on this Sienna, and a little discomfort will turn to outright pain when spread over a six hour trip.

I took a look under the seat and it appears there is an alternate mounting point for the seat rails that would give about 3" extra room, which is more than ample. Has anyone else had this issue, were you able to solve it, and how?

I will also contact the dealership (I have a pretty good relationship with the service manager there) and see what I can find out.
    I'm tall and wanted to improve leg room on my Miata.

Surprisingly, I did so by modifying the dead pedal.

I removed it, shaved about half an inch off the spacers in the back. That moved the dead pedal farther back away from the seat.

I know it seems like a small improvement, but with my foot deeper in the footwell, the angle lowers my knee below the steering wheel, and it's just more comfortable.

Take a look at the Sienna's dead pedal, see if you can make similar modifications. It's worth a look and would be a LOT easier than changing the seat track.

Good luck. :shades:
    Can anyone recommend both:
    1) a good aftermarket backup camera system for the Toyota Sienna van (2006), and,
    2) a Florida dealer in the vicinity of Monroe County to install such a system?

My husband and I are hoping to have a back-up camera installed before we start on the trip north, around January 18th, but have no personal knowledge of reputable Toyota dealers in the area. I am asking this because the installation instructions for various cameras say that dis-connecting the negative terminal of the battery may "...require the dealer to reset the internal computer." So we are seeking both a camera AND a reputable dealer. Thank you in advance if you can help! SOS
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    Hello Ateixeira, we are considering an aftermarket DVD like you. I know that you bought yours at Circuit City(no longer in business), but what brand did you choose? The ones at best buy are Acoustik and the reviews are not very good.

Thanks
    I can't find it on-line any more so they must have discontinued it.

Best Buy usually has samples on display, I'd check them out. You want good contrast and wireless headsets. If they look good to you, go for it.

I think mine is Jensen? Can't remember now for some reason.
  • phillymomphillymom Member Posts: 30
    I am purchasing a 8 pass 08 Sienna.

Where is the best place to purchase nice all weather mats?
    Do they make one's that truly custom fit or would I have to go to Toyota for this?

What happen in the center area where the 8th seat can be placed? I like to have my floors as covered as possible since I have 5 kids going in and out all day

Thanks
  • phillymomphillymom Member Posts: 30
    I am looking at Lloyds's all weather rubber mats for my 8 pass Sienna.

What is the best shape for the 2nd row? I am unsure if a L shape will be ok when all 3 seats (buckets plus 8th seat) are in, or should I go with just straight across?

• yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    The mat from the dealer is straight. The L shape will be a problem with all the seats in.
    Try "Weathertech" -- www.weathertech.com -- I am very pleased with the mats I bought for my Sienna 2006 last August. You enter your car model and they give you choices of mats to fit that model. shipping is fast, also.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Anyone know if the "VIP" Toyota remote start advertised on the accessories section of their website is compatible with my 2007 Sienna XLE Ltd AWD? If not, anyone have a suggestion as to a product, keeping in mind the car has power sliding doors and power trunk? Thanks!
  • quattroheadquattrohead Member Posts: 12
    I am looking at some 2009 LE but we want leather seats.
    Has anyone done those ship and you fit leather seat cover packages ?
    Can you add heaters to them ?
    Are the arm rest's and door panels included.
    Seems like a great idea as you can choose a wide range of colours.
    I've looked at some leather seat packages for my Miata, but haven't actually bought them.

For Miatas, yes, there are seat heaters available. I imagine you'll find the same thing for Siennas.

Actually, the nice thing is they come in a wide variety of colors, and you can also choose if you want them perforated.
  • compcodercompcoder Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have any installation instructions?
  • redpearlredpearl Member Posts: 14
    I installed both front and rear mud guards on a 2009 LE and found the instructions for the Toyota mud guards on line.
    Instructions were also in each box. Installaion not very difficult but front easier than rear due to better access.
  • redpearlredpearl Member Posts: 14
    I installed both front and rear mud guards on a 2009 LE and found the instructions for the Toyota mud guards on line.
    Instructions were also in each box. Installaion not very difficult but front easier than rear due to better access.
  • okdadokdad Member Posts: 1
    i am looking to install running boards on 2011 sienna xle . anny one got info where to get them thanks
  • compcodercompcoder Member Posts: 5
    Do you have a link to the instructions? Nothing came in the box. It doesn't look too hard, I just want to do it correctly.
  • ericj712ericj712 Member Posts: 1
    anybody know about adding an aftermarket DVD to a Sienna with a sunroof. I am worried about the liner sagging after a while. any ideas or just go with the headrest models. Would like to use the Alpine with a 10" screen. Thanks for the input. Eric J
    I installed one, but no sunroof on mine.

I doubt there would be clearance, so go with the headrest ones.
  • brenda59brenda59 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited, and it has a rear audio system and the wireless headphones are missing, can I purchase them somewhere else, like Radio Shack, instead of having to go through Toyota
  • rwenrwen Member Posts: 6
    Hi ateixeira
    Do you know a reputable website to get aftermarket genuine Toyota Sienna 2011products? Dealership way too costly.
    I have found sites like Bernardi parts for Honda, but not Toyota. Thanks.
  • randomeonerandomeone Member Posts: 20
    Wireless headphones are more or less all the same. Most of them are IR, and should be under $30 for decent ones. Some headphones are RF, they cost about the same. In any case, you can go to almost any electronics shop that installs stereos and they'll tell you for sure which ones you need, if you have any doubts.
    Not really - I bought some oil filters from Toyota of Dallas on-line back in 2007, when I got mine, but my last order went to carpartsdiscount.com instead. To be honest I don't recall exactly why I didn't go back to the same dealership the 2nd time around, most likely price or shipping cost.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Adding a Curt hitch earlier this year resulted in frequent 'tail dragging' incidents on some driveway accesses. Rear height went from around 10.5" down to around 8.5", even less when the van is loaded. The reducing departure angle is enough to cause problems.

After some reading, I decided to install Air Lift bladders in the rear springs, with fill valves located in the rear valance panel. So far, they seem to be doing the job. We have some bigger trips planned as we approach the holidays, so I'll let you know how they work when the van is loaded.
    It's a common upgrade and I've heard lots of good experiences with that, so hopefully you benefit as well. Congrats.
    If anybody is considering it and is interested in some details, I could post more information about the process. Pictures as well if I can only figure out how to do so! I miss the 'carspace' section of the forums...
  • quizzerquizzer Member Posts: 14
    I'm planning to buy the basic Sienna LE version and get an after market installation of GPS, RES, Backup camera with sensor, Bluetooth and Ipod interface etc

Can somebody tell me how much will it cost approx and will it void the car warranty?

Thanks
    Go to someplace like Crutchfield an look at the options. Getting the whole pkg including retaining steering wheel controls can top $1200 (your labor), but you get exactly what you want.

You will not automatically void the whole van warranty, but you will get no coverage for anything that can be traced to the aftermarket parts, installation, or interaction damage between the new hardware and the rest of the electronics.
  • vanshopper2vanshopper2 Member Posts: 2
    We plan to purchase a new 2011 Sienna, adapted for disabled driver. It needs 3 factory modifications: a dropped floor; a side-entry power-driven ramp; removable Captain's chair and front passenger chair. All these are Toyota-factory-modifications; then sent to Convert-A-Van types of dealers. We would love to know the price-to-the-dealer, so we can estimate how much profit margin he has. Otherwise, very difficult to negotiate with him. The prices that
    3 dealers have quoted, are all approx $ 55,000.
    Ouch, that's spendy. Dodge also converts Grand Caravans, FWIW.

If you can't find any more info, aim for similar margin discounts, i.e. about 10% off MSRP or so.
  • linealinea Member Posts: 9
    I have the similar modification but my modification was by Braun now bought out by IMS?. I afraid they have a monopoly so you really can not negotiate. The one thing I did purchase for my 2008 Sienna Van is extended warranty. When my navigational went out, it did not cost me $2,100 since I had an extended warranty. I check on the warranty for the modifications and it was too costly for what you get. Also I would run synthetic oil to extend the engine life. I would stick with Toyota since you can not afford to replace these Vans for many, many years.
  • eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    I have an '07 XC90 with factory headrest DVD monitors. The picture looks funny if the viewing angle is 'off' a bit. The same problem exists on my 2001 Chrysler TC's aftermarket flipdown roof monitor.

I am now shopping for a flipdown roof monitor for my 2010 Toyota Sienna. I am unable to get my hand on a system to see if they are any better than the ones from the past. Best Buy does not have them on the floor. I plan to buy it from the internet and install it myself.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated ... especially with the viewing angle.
    I installed one in 2007 and the kids have never complained, unless the sun is super bright. Mine's a 12" Clarion, IIRC.

I imagine modern ones are brighter and have better contrast now.
  • sky22sky22 Member Posts: 2
  • sky22sky22 Member Posts: 2
    I bought Sienna 2013 XLE with Navigation option. It says Tow Prep Package.
    I want to install Hitch Mount Bike Rack which requires 2 inch hitch receiver.

I look at the bottom of my car and couldn't find hitch receiver.

1. Do I have to install "Trailer Hitch Receiver"?
    - I have to go dealer to install? But, I couldn't find the accessory when I build my car from Toyota site.
    - I can buy from anywhere and go to body shops to install it?

2. Or, it's already installed in the car, but I just do something to reveal it?
    - Since I don't know what the Tow Prep Package means.

Any comment will helps. Thank you.
    The tow prep package means that the engine has the external oil cooler required for actual trailer towing. Without it, you are limited to 1500 lbs. With it, you are good for up to 3500 lbs.

Actual towing (or in your case bike rack) equipment, such as a receiver hitch and power for trailer lighting is something you have to add - this stuff does not come on the van.

You can:
    1) Go to your dealership and have them add the Toyota brand 2" receiver hitch (around $350 installed).
    2) Buy it yourself (I happen to like the Curt unit available on Amazon) for around $150 and install it yourself (takes an hour or so) or take it somewhere.
    3) Go to a trailer place and just have them do the whole job.