Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Super Crew vs Sport Trac

mervin_mervin_ Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Ford
I plan to purchase a new truck in fall 2002. At this point in my research the choices are between the Ford 150 Super Crew and the Sport Trac. I no longer need a full time pick-up so a 1/2 truck works great for me and my occasional hauling needs. The two trucks gets almost exactly the same MPG and with the options I want cost within 1 or 2K of each other (TMV not MSRP or invoice).

1. Has anyone else decided on the SC over the ST or vise-a-versa? And if so, why?

2. There is one option the ST has that the dealer tells me is available on the F150 but NOT the F150 Super Crew, the electric back window. This doesn't make sense, I'm 5'-7" and would not be able to reach a manual back window from the front seat of the SC. Does anyone have this option or addon on their Super Crew?

Comments

• iambilliambill Member Posts: 1
    I saw what you did, that the prices were about the same. Looked to me that I got more value for the money with a Supercrew. Also, the Sport Trac was too small for my tastes, both inside and for the size of the bed. The Supercrew is spacious. I ordered one in December.
    4-way power windows come standard on the Screw, so I didn't see any need for a fifth sliding window in back.
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    I just took delivery on a 4x4 King Ranch on 2/6.While ordering I requested the Lariat upgrade pkg only to be told that this item would not be available in Super Crew for at least until mid Spring. The power sliding rear window would have been my only reason to get the pkg in the first place. agree with Mervin that the power slider is even more essential in a S-crew than an ext-cab. I am 6'1"and cannot reach the rear window. Go figure that in a King Ranch equipped with everything but a back scratcher , I could not get this window!got to admit , though, the power moon roof kind of makes up for it.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    wants a sport trac..but she never considered a Supercrew.

decide if you want full size or small..then the choice is clear....as for a window....you can always get an aftermarket power slider...

- Tim
  • miller45miller45 Member Posts: 2
    I agree with some of you, the SC is about the same as the ST, and with some of the discounts, about $500 less!I've driven both twice, and can't make up my mind. They are both good looking trucks. Pros on the ST is the leather package, console, power rear window, and easily fits in the garage---not to mention the awesom good looks. Nothing else on the market like it. The cons are it is pretty small, and my knee will not fit between the steering wheel and door panel when the tilt is in the lowest position. It's just feels "narrow".

The SC appears to be a good value for the $, and it is a "full size truck" I read that the cab is basically the Excursion, so it looks a little differant and I think better than an extended 150, especially form the exterior. The mileage on paper is the same, but that is hard to beleive.

Since I have never owned a truck, it's a little tough to convince myself go "whole hog" with the SC. Also to get leather, you need to jump to the Larriat, which I don't think is worth the $. I guess Ford has done a good job making it tough to make up our minds.
  • bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    The Expedition, because it's not like the Excursion, The Excursion is on same line as the Super Duty line of pickups. The Sport Trac is an Explorer with a flower pot on back. Unlike the new VW with it on the dash. Just my 2 cents..........
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    jAlso consider the Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. It is one awesome truck with the 4.7l v8, and is considerably less expensive comparably equipped when compared to a Screw.
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    You can buy an F-150 for the same price as a Ranger? I know you like the "cute" concept of the SportTrac and it does look nice, Ford did an exceptional job on this one. But you are getting so much less vehicle. The "screw" will give you so much more comfort and like you said the same gas mileage - where is the argument unless you are trying to just look cute. By the way, have you seen some of the Screws with shells on their little rear - they look really nice if the look is what you are going for and your wife might go for that look. Don't overpay for less vehicle and less engine and a lot less design money.
    Sport trac with a cap!...looked silly as ever...

Wife wants the Sport trac cuz she says she feels like a dwarf in my 2500....and well...I kinda agree...it's wild looking...has the rear opening window...moon roof....room for the neices and nephews....and when she needs to haul a small load....keeps her away from my truck!

LOL

..we will be getting one in the next few months

- Tim
  • colleenhcolleenh Member Posts: 1
    We are making the decision between these two vehicles too. All these messages have been really helpful. Keep 'em coming. Looks like some of the bed dividers and tops (in the ST) are great for family use, but do they hinder hauling capabilities? What about sticking 6 in the SC vs. 5 (passengers) in the ST? The drop-down vcr in the SC looks handy for when the kids are in the back - does it really work? And are the interiors really the same comfort-wise? It's hard to believe most of the SC models aren't available w/manual tranny.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I would go with the Screw, but I think it's definitely worth your while to check out the Dodge Dakota Quad Cab while you're at it.
    to compare the two....as they are complete different classes......

I would get a Supercrew...but as I said...for a short person....it's too big..

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.