Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica GT-S

2»

Comments

• roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    The GTS does have a rev limiter, like virtually every other modern car on the road. Like all other rev limiters, it keeps you from exceeding the limit by cutting fuel and/or ignition when you are accelerating and need to upshift to keep from overrevving.

But no rev limiter that I am aware of will keep you from overrevving the motor if you downshift into the wrong gear. If you were to try to downshift in an Integra or Prelude at 85mph and grabbed 2nd instead of 4th, you'd grenade your engine just as easily.
  • anna12anna12 Member Posts: 10
    I've been disturbed by the allusions on the Celica discussions about GTS problems and a halt to production, but I wonder where people are getting their information, and if it is true, is it only the manual engine, or auto as well? I posted a question about production halts for the GTS on the dealer board, but got no responses, so I went to the toyota.com page and right now they are prominently featuring the Celica with the "action package"-which sure seems like a foolish thing to do if there really are no cars to be had. Any real info out there? Anna
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    They're fitting larger injectors to try to get more fuel at high rpm. Once they have the results, they should be able to finalize the kit and post it on their web site.
  • theworldizmyntheworldizmyn Member Posts: 16
    I'm 17 years old w/ two jobs. My girlfriend is pregnant w/ two jobs also. So our monthly income is up to 2000 possibly 2500 if we work long enough. I want to get a good, reliable, fast car, that's safe. We're recently saving up for a new car. We're really interested in the new Celica's. I have to admit that the older Celicas were overpriced, as well as underpowered.
    I've been doing research on the net about the new Celica's, and have heard some ups and downs about them. More ups then downs though, so that's a good sign. I've read people's opinions about them, and have come to the conclusion that some of these people don't even, or haven't even driven a Celica PERIOD!! So can I please have 110% honest feedback on the Celica. It's just me and my girlfriend plus baby(on the way).
    So anyways...I'm about 80% certain that the Celica GT-S is the Perfect size for us three, but I think I need someones honest opinion for ME, not for others(no offense to others), to help me decide if we should get the Car or not. I really don't think us three need a big economy car to fit our needs, like a Lexus or Cadillac, much less afford it. So can someone please lead me in the right direction to our new car. It'll be very appreciated if some Authentic Celica owners can help me out.
    Very Kindly,
    The World Iz Myn
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    If you are looking for a Celica GTS 6spd, you are out of luck. Toyota stopped making the 6spd version for the rest of the 2001 model year. I tried to find one, and after 1 1/2 month of searching (including help from carsdirect.com).. I gave up.
    Celica is small, with the baby on the way.. you are probably better off getting something that is more practical. Like corolla or such. You are still young, you can leave the sports coupe for later (I didn't own a car until I am 21, and now I am 24.. got a brand new rex sitting outside :D) Trust me, waiting is worth it.
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    If I would have 2K income and baby on a way... No way I would buy Celica. I would buy a used Saturn for <10K, the one with 4 doors, of course. Its safety record is well above average, and its reliability record is reasonable. Or may be Intrepid, as I think the first car in family should be a big family car. Corolla is more reliable, no question, but it comes for ex$$$tra price. And don't get 2-door. You need extra door for baby, and some space next to her/him which is easy to access. I have two kids, and I have full sze Grand Marquis for family (this is a replacement for the 18 yrs. old Crown Vic I had before, started to develope problems, I wonder why). It is cheaper than Celica, safer than Celica, quieter than Celica, smoother than Celica - everything but fun and mpg, and for that I got Celica. I bought my GM used with 20Kmiles and 1.5 years old (full warranty), and paid 15.7K. It is now 6 yrs. old and I had not a single problem. If you plan to take long trips with kid(s) - bigger is better. You don't want two kids fighting in a small cramped car for space on your way to grandma who happened to live 300 miles from you... If you still want small and new and japaniese - the newer Civic's have EXCELLENT safety record. Friend of mine had a Civic (and one kid), which he crashed at 60 mph, car was trash, everyone (including baby) survived with no injuries. No offence, but if you got a kid it's time to grow up and get practical until your get money to spare for a fun car. And belive me, you got plenty of time for that.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    I agree. I have a Celica myself and I love it, but not for a 'family'. I too suggest a 4-door. How about the new Nissan Sentra SE-R 4-door? If you are wanting that kind of vehicle.
    But, I would have to suggest not purchasing anything. If you think you have to, go used and 4-door. You may have a joint income of $2k now, but will she be working both jobs after the baby comes?? I doubt it. Plus there's hospital bills, diapers, etc.
    I say wait - I am 23 and have never had anything remarkably quick until now! I didn't mind waiting. I would hate to see you having to scrape by just to make new car payments! Does all this make any sense?
  • phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    good point, i forgot about that. how much will your income be after she stops working? i think that's the big (financial) question. although i do agree with everyone about the size/space issue. what are you driving now?
  • theworldizmyntheworldizmyn Member Posts: 16
    I want to say thank you to everybody who has helped with the advice. thanks very, very much. If I hadn't gotten any advice i probably would've gotten a brand new car and then be low on cash for the next 4 years. That would've been bad. Well thanks to everyone again.

PS ...Now is there any advice for other cars that are a bit sporty, safe, and fun to drive. I would like a foreign car, because I personally think that they are safer than American cars(no offense to the Hard-Core Americans). So thanks for the advice again.

Thankfully,
    The World Iz Myn
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    "...other cars that are a bit sporty, safe, and fun to drive."

Here are a couple discussions on this message board, where you might get some interesting ideas: Inexpensive new hatchback wanted! and Hot Hatchbacks: Civic Si, GTI, SVT, Mini S, Matrix, BMW....

Also, use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    I would add, when you choose this car, think about how easily and safely a child seat can be put into it. The kid will, by law, have to ride in that seat for at least several years, until he weighs over 40 or 50 pounds. Don't set yourself up for a backbreaking five years.

And, for what it's worth, this principle applies to everything else in your life too. You think where you're living now has enough room? Not when a kid arrives. For their size and weight, a baby takes up more room than you would believe possible.

Brenda
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Hi! The Celica is a very nice car. But it's not the car for you and your household. With limited money...you need something that will hold up for a long time and that doesn't need inconvenient repairs that can occur when you least expect it. My advice is to stick with a Toyota, or maybe even Honda. I think the Honda Civic is overpriced though for what you get. Corolla is a well-built solid car that will run forever. The 2002 is quite sporty...especially the front. You do need something with 4 doors...you'll see why once you have the baby. Another recommendation I have is the Toyota ECHO. It starts at about $10,000. It's your basic extremely reliable transportation at an honest price. They may look odd....but that's why people like them. May look small....but has a huge interior. Engine is very peppy despite lower horsepower. Good luck on your search.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    with a kid and all the accompanying stuff, I would suggest that you get a USED Camry (or better yet, Maxima) for around $10K. They'll run forever, be easy to maintain, safe, and the Maxima in SE trim can be a lot of fun to drive (I had a '91 Maxima SE, 5speed, that was a blast).
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    this discussion has been re-opened. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I'm thinking about replacing my V6 Firebird with a Celica GT-S sometime in the next 2 years (after my Firebird's warranty expires).

My Firebird is great, but it is high maintenance and expensive with insurance.

I hear that the GT-S has 180 hp. Does anyone know the torque? Do you have to use premium gas? And what's your general fuel economy?

For my Firebird, I have 200 hp, 225 lb ft of torque, runs on regular fuel, and I get 24-26 mpg with mixed driving.

The annoying thing about my car is that it is too wide, and the doors are too long, so I have to park far away from everyone else.

Thanks in advance for the info.
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    Crazygrrrl - The GTs is 180 hp @ 7,600 RPM and 130 ft-lb @ 6,800 RPM. If you go with the GTS, get the 6-speed manual. The automatic has NO guts, even the 6-speed is 0-60 in 7.2 sec. There is very little low end torque and the power doesn't come in until 6000 RPM. Then you pretty quickly hit the 7800 RPM limit.

I have the automatic, which is why I recommend NOT getting it. The GTS does require premium fuel and I get an average of 25 MPG with about 29 MPG on the highway. It is reliable, good handling and braking - just not quick.
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the info.

If I buy a Celica, it would have to be an automatic. A stick shift car would be too much of a hassle in my stop and go daily commute.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    VW Golf/Jetta/New Beetle TDI (Diesel).

90 bhp @ 3750 rpm
    155 lb-ft @ 1900 rpm.

With the stick shift, during stop & go traffic, just play with the clutch. Release the clutch fully (no gas applied), it will idle along at 5 mph.

Can't wait until I chip it.
  • brn2hvfnbrn2hvfn Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how much dealers expect for Adverstising on the GTS?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    It can run about 1.5% of invoice before shipping, depending on where you are located.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Anyone notice the auto tranny downshifting if you hit the brakes going down a hill? It's not the torque-converter either, it shows on the dash jumping from 4th to 3rd.

Anyone have their rear window tinted? Had this done and can't see well through the tinting I think because the window is raked so steeply. Blurs everything, especially at night. Wondering if it's just the tinting that was used or what.
    Yes, it shifts down for engine braking in my GT2K.
    IF you just got the window tinted, until it the tint is fully dried, it's going to look blurry at the defroster lines, in any car
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    It's been about three weeks. The guy is going to look at it sometime this weekend. He's done all my vehicles and I've never had any issues and he always uses the same tint. It's almost like you can see texture in the film the angle I'm looking at it.
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    Until very recently, I had planned to buy a new GT-S. However, I have relocated to Chicago (from San Francisco), and suddenly how this car handles in the snow has become very important. Does anyone have any opinions about how this car handles in the snow? Thanks in advance.

By the way, the other car I am considering is the Acura RSX.
    I drive it in Iowa and Indiana. I think it handles well, unless you go into deep snow. It is front wheel drive, pretty stable on ice.
    But I don't have problem winter-driving Grand Marquise either, it does not handle as well but you just account for that and drive more carefully.
    I have my back window and back-sides tinted with 5% limo tint. I did it myself, it's about the 5 car I've done and there is no blur. It will make it more difficult to see out of at night of course. One thing to be careful of is during the day when you have the moon roof open there can be a big mirrored glare through the rear-view mirror.
    It is FWD, but the factory tires are nothing close to all-season snow tires. This car wasn't made to travel well on snow, but neither is the RSX, so no help there.
    Like sergeis said, if you are aware of that, just compensate and drive carefully, you'll be fine.
    It is hard to let out the clutch in snow w/o spinning.
  • swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    was thinking about picking up a 2000 GTS but after all the smack I've read about the celica from people that own them I'm re-thinking it. so whats the final verdict? good car or not? compared to a 2000 integra gsr which would you choose?
  • wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    To answer some comments about the latest generation Celica GTS, note that I have 38000 miles on a 2000 GTS and live in the NY city/Westchester area.
    In regards to the car's handling in snow, on high performance summer tires it is terrible (as any car would be). Just touching the brakes on a half inch of snow brought on the antilock brakes. (By the way, the brakes are by far the most impressive feature of the car,)
    This past winer I went to snow tires all the round. It was better but I can't give a real evaluation since the area didn't have enough snow to make a real judgment. Remember the car is very light (about 2500 pounds). The AC is marginal, it works great at night and overcast days (even have to turn it down). However, it has a lot of difficulty with hot sunny days. Probably the results of sun soak - especially bad with my black car. The car is an excellent commuter vehicle (despite the poor rear vision with the standard spoiler and side view mirrors),
    but I'm sure I wouldn't keep as long as my previous car ('88 CRX-Si) since the transmission makes the car a very poor autocrosser. (I just can't get a clean 2-1 down shift and even up shifts are sometimes a problem).
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    every car I get into this summer has noticeably more effective A/C than my celica. It is not that the A/C is ineffective, just that 90 degree plus days when it has been sitting in the sun tax it to the max, and even after 15-20 minutes of running full blast, it is only just cooling down. In other cars, even other Toyotas like camry and 4Runner, I can feel like I am sitting in a fridge after 10 minutes of full blast A/C.

Apart from that, it is everything I expected from it. This is my first summer with it, which is why I am just noticing it now.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• donkeedonkee Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2001 Celica has the largest
    rear quarter panel blind spot I've ever experienced in any car I've driven the past 40 years. She missed seeing a car in that rear panel blindspot when changing lanes and swerved right to miss it when she finally saw the car through her side mirror. The car was so skittish when served right that she lost control of it and ended up in the highway median having flipped 3 times over and over completely demolishing the car. She was briised and battered but not seriously injured. This car is very dangerous because of that blind spot and steering sensitivity during accident avoidance manuvering.
    As with any car that handles as well as this one, you have to be careful about huge inputs into the steering, physics can not be supervened. And in this particular car, with the rearward vision as it is, you have to be very careful about backing up, lane changes, etc. But having had mine for a year now, I can say that with proper use of the side mirrors, it does not have to be dangerous to drive, or anything like that.

I am glad your wife is OK!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

You can't rely on your rearview mirror in any vehicle, expecially the Celica. Just do a quick look over your shoulder. I do EVERY time and it's like second nature to me. It's much safer anyway!
    "I had recently driven a Mercedes C32 AMG and a Corvette Z06 on the same roads. Despite being half the price of these two cars, the Celica was just as much fun to drive."

Read the full story here. And let us know what you think. Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• xtcracerxtcracer Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 2001 Celica GT-S it has about 19,800 miles(majority Hwy mileage.) I recently blew the engine will down shifting to avoid an accident. The service rep. at the toyota service dept. stated that the timing belt a jumped a tooth and the all the pistons bent in the engine. He says he has only seen this once before. If anyone out there has had this problem please reply. Very Important!!!
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Did you miss-shift? That seems to be a very common problem with Celica's because of the nature of the gearbox. I recommend visiting newcelica.org, because I know (not personally) that a lot of people have made the same mistake.

Just out of curiosity, how would downshifting help you avoid an accident?
    a common problem for GTS's, with the extra-close gears, people downshift to 2 instead of 4, and redline the engine, blowing it up in the process. Supposedly, they redesigned the '02 gearbox so it could not do this. Toyota might have some assistance for the people in pre-'02s, since they formally recognized the problem.

It sounds like Toyota was fixing a lot of engines for miss-shifts, but I don't think they recognized any sort of defect. It was always user error.
  • xtcracerxtcracer Member Posts: 2
    Well I thought by downshifting it would slow the car down faster than just using the brakes. This is my first manual car(that is what I was taught to do by a friend, not good advice I guess.)Well at this present moment my Toyota Service Dept. is waiting for a Toyota Rep. to look at my cars engine, to check for any defects. But for one thing I didn't mis-shift, I went from 6-5-4 and the engine made a loud noise and then it cut-off. I really can't say how loud it was because I had a AEM Cold Intake installed and a HKS Hiper Cat-Back. With those two items you really can't hear the engine. Thanks to everyone that gave me info.
    Just to let ya know about downshifting, it's much faster (in the case of an accident) to just use the brakes. If you're taking time to depress the clutch and search for a gear, you are losing time.
    It's a problem also for Honda/Acura. But Honda MoCo isn't really generous in repairing/replacing the damage.
    Well, if you avoided the accident, it doesn't really matter what you did, but yeah, go with the brakes. And if you didn't miss-shift, I'm sure Toyota will cover the engine, I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Downshifting does help slow down a car and is a good idea to do in an emergency. You do have 2 feet and therefore can be slamming on the brakes at the same time you are depressing the clutch and downshifting.
    it does occupy you with more than one task at a moment when you should be focusing all your attention on where the car is going and what is happening outside.

NOT TO MENTION it is a bad idea in general to use clutch braking - it is very hard on the clutch, which was not designed for this purpose. It can also be hard on other parts of the drivetrain.

Hi Folks - Any GT-S owners out there care to share a vehicle update with us? Perhaps we can get this discussion rolling again. If you'd like, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.

2. MPG & Driving habits. Any differences in mpg since you first purchase?

3. Any additional accessories & mods?

4. Maintenance issues to date.

5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?

6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your Celica GT-S since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other GT-S owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful. Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again. Who's game?

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2000 Celica GTS Auto and have been disappointed with the performance since day one. While I'm not in the market for a street racer, I'd have liked to think the GTS engine would have done better than 0-60 in 10.2 seconds, not to mention the low end power is nearly non-existant.

My question is, has anyone used the K&N typhoon short Ram intake and have you experienced any realistic performance improvement?

I'm most interested in the low end acceleration, the engine pulls quite well from 6000 rpm and up. Unfortunately, the 4 speed auto drops the rpm well below that range after the shift from 1st to 2nd. This results in a significant drop in acceleration after the shift.

I don't need to hear that there is something wrong with my car. I have heard that in early posts from people who don't own the GTS-auto. I've had the car checked out by 2 different Toyota dealers and spoke with the mechanics and they say it runs just like other GTS auto's.

Beyond weak performance, the car has been extremely reliable with only a service bulletin replacement of the accessory belt tensioner. After 40,000 miles, I still get 24 to 29 mpg - I only wish it didn't require premium fuel (particularly for such weak performance).
This discussion has been closed.