Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Owners-Meet the Members

124»

Comments

• bluejettalx02bluejettalx02 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I live in upstate NY and own a 2002 Jetta GLX with Galactic Blue and Grey Leather. It is an automatic, but I don't care much for sticks. The car is fun to drive, and is the safest car in its price range (trust me I know after being in a side impact crash with a 2001). The only complaint I have is minor rattle, and after reading about horror stories, I think I'll live with them rather than have the techies look at it.
  • njboranjbora Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2001 jetta lagoon blue leather sports lux 17 inch rims from douglas in summit iam from kearny i went to gensidger and 3 county also the one in pomton plains ask for mike zuckerman great sales man
  • porkchop5porkchop5 Member Posts: 4
    I ordered a 2002 Jetta GLS wagon at the end of Dec. Reflex silver with the 1.8T engine + Tiptronic auto. Every option but leather (still can't believe my wife actually wanted the 17" wheels and sport suspension!). Can't wait to get it (coming April '02, hopefully sooner). Meanwhile I will read up on how to solve the rattles & other problems and try not to second guess buying a VW. My dad has a '00 Passat GLX and it has been flawless for 2 yrs. Hope mine is as good.
  • dieselcardieselcar Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2002 Jetta TDI from Millenium VW in Somerville. Would highly recommend Paul in sales. Say YW sent you.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    You may want to see if you can re-order and get the leather. The black velour attracts and holds onto EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF LINT imaginable. And it's almost impossible to get it off.

I sincerely wish I had bought the leather.
  • porkchop5porkchop5 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. on the black velour seats. I had heard this before, and have a dog that will be in the cargo area, so we went with the grey velour instead. Basically, that's why I had to factory order it, they had no wagons with anything but black velour. I saw a sedan with the silver exterior and gray interior and it looked pretty nice, so hopefully it will work out. My Explorer has gray velour too, and the dog hair, lint, etc. are not a big problem.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Everyone complains about the velour seats holding stuff, no matter what color. I got leather in my Jetta too, but because I wanted the adjustable lumbar support and the cloth equipped models don't have it.
  • vtrip7vtrip7 Member Posts: 6
    Is the 2.0 jetta ok as a daily driver? I have the opportunity to purchase a base 02 jetta gls 2.0 with 60 miles on it for $15K even. The car lists for something like $18450. A lady won it in a church raffle and will sell it to me for the $15K....The car is essentially brand-new...it seems like a steal, but can i live with the 2.0?..If i were to purchase a new one, I almost for sure would get the 1.8 turbo, but in this scenario, for a lot more dough....P.S. i used to own Porsche 944 turbos and loved them....however, I am just looking for a good daily driver a a good price
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    i got the 2.0, not really that bad as far as low end street power, but once on the highway, and going 65, you don't have much more passing oomph after 70, though you still can accelerate, but it gets slow....relaibility ain't great, mine burns oil, vw says its fine...go for a 1.8T
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...this folder has been re-titled to Volkswagen Owners. This way all VW models (and owners) are now included in the Town Hall clubs.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • bswanseabswansea Member Posts: 10
    I guess I'll be the first non-Jetta owner to introduce myself to this board. My name is Brandon Swan, I live in Seattle, and I own a 1999 Colorado Red Passat Wagon 1.8T, 5-speed manual. The only option it came with was the leather package, but I immediately had them install a 6-disc CD changer, and then sometime later, I added alloy wheels. I've owned the car for almost 3 years now and it's been a great car. It just rolled over the 36000-mile mark a couple of weeks ago and it's been pretty much trouble free. I love driving this car. Even though the 1.8T engine only generates 150hp, the manual tranny makes the most of it. Outside of a little turbo lag in first gear, this car hustles quite nicely and provides plenty of power. My weekday commuting is short since I live and work in Seattle, but I often stretch this cars legs on weekend jaunts to my vacation home on Orcas Island (in the San Juans) about 100 miles away. I've also taken longer road trips to California and Sun Valley, Idaho. This car is great for road trips - very comfortable.
    I live in Seattle as well. You should keep an eye on the Pacific NW forum on VW Vortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=90

We had a Get Together back in December. Over 20 VWs showed up. It was really cool to see all sorts of different models and years represented. It's a good place to learn about your car from other locals. A local guy in Bellevue installed my sway bar for $25 after I saw his post on VWV. Good stuff!

Maybe I'll see you at the next meeting!

Anakin

• yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    Hi, my name is Adam and my wife and I have a 2000 Jetta GL. Its canyon red, beige interior, has the 2.0L, and a 5 speed. Only add-ons are the cd changer and we put on VW alloy wheels (because hub caps are just ugly!). The wheels are the 15" Reggae model, they look great. I love this car. VWs just drive so nice. Have had some problems and I can't say that the build quality is as good as it should be, but again, I can put up with the minor annoyances. I think we are going to think about trading up to a Jetta wagon in the future as we are starting a family and will need the extra room. When I saw the wagon I knew I had to have one, Im a wagon junkie, but only cool ones!
    If you want room for your family to be able to grow, the Passat wagon might do better by you. I have a Jetta sedan now, and when I go out with my best friend (and her 2 toddlers in car seats), the car is rather tight inside. I am 6'3 though, so that might have something to do with it. :) But still, the only thing I wish for (besides for the one rattle I have to stop), is a little more interior room.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I got my 02 Golf TDI from Trend Motors in Rockaway, NJ. Top notch sales department.
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    owner of a 1.8T silver w/ gray leather GTI, lux&leather pkg MSRP $21,600. Bought mine from a large denver area dealer for $19950 + tax out the door(0.9% for 24 mon through VW), minus the $13,700 trade-in for my 99 accord. The honda was a great car, but really missed shifting my own gears. So far I love the car, and I'm sure I'll love it even more after 2,000 miles, when i'll push it more.
  • erobinsonerobinson Member Posts: 4
    It's difficult for me, but changed family circumstances are forcing me to sell my beloved Eurovan. I've had her for three years and think there's nothing better designed for roadtrips involving lots of friends and their outdoor adventure gear, like tents, kayaks, mountain bikes, skis, etc. I need advice on asking price and where to market her. she's a 1993 Eurovan GL with 73,000 miles, strong durable 5-cylinder Audi truck engine mated to 5-speed manual transmission, front and rear a/c, power locks & doors, cruise control, power heated mirrors, rear wiper, premium sound with cassette and CD controller, and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS. Condition of beige-grey interior is excellent. Condition of maroon exterior is excellent but for a cracked rear bumper (hidden beneath bumper sticker) and slight crack at corner of front bumper. I'm wondering what to ask: Kelley dealer retail says $10,800, but I think that's too much. Does $6,900 sound reasonable? These vehicles are rare, it's spring and the cavernous Eurovan is unbeatable for a summer roadtrip with friends, all their outdoor gear and the dog. I'm located in Sacramento, California. Aside from newspaper classifieds, where else is a smart place to offer this vehicle? Are there Eurovan or Volkswagen enthusiast web sites that don't mind ads?
    Oh sure... just post it in the classifieds on http://forums.vwvortex.com

Good luck.

You can also list your Eurovan thru Edmunds.com Used Power Shopper.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • thomasibaileythomasibailey Member Posts: 21
    We have the same color and year Jetta 4 doors and I too want less roll out of my 1.8T auto/triptronic. The dealer told me to go with springs, but I don't want to loose ride height. Questions: Are you happy with the sway app.? Did you go with a rear or front? Did you use the dealer? Will this be too hard a ride for my wife?
    I realize the last ? is impossible to answer but imagine your wife to be semi-sporty and hates soft ride American cars...any comments appreciated. Peace.
    I have a 2002 1.8T Tiptronic with the 17-inch tires and sport suspension. It still has a little too much roll. I am definitely going to get the swaybar sometime this summer, if I can get someone to help me install it. :)
    A sway bar will not affect the "hardness" of the ride at all. It doesn't modify the softness of the springs or shocks.

I bought a 25mm rear Neuspeed sway. I would recommend getting someone other than the dealer to install it, or do it yourself if you have the tools. It really is quite simple to install.

I have enjoyed my sway bar. I hear that blueguy is pleased with his as well.
    Definitely thinking about the sway bar for my car. Going to add it this summer. If I cannot do it myself, I will have to get someone to put it on for me though. I might just do that though, because I am not very mechanically inclined, and don't have the space at home to work on the car (I live in the city and park on the street).
    If you do get an install, see if there is a local VW performance shop that can do it for you. The dealership will probably charge you way too much for what is a 15 minute job.
  • jetta92ownerjetta92owner Member Posts: 8
    Hello everyone. My name is Edward, live in Wisconsin (but not a Packer fan - yet). I own a 1992 Jetta Gl (Jetta Girl, I call it). Gasoline engine. 1.4 litre. 5-speed. Bought it used in Chicago, had 65,000 at that time. It now has 145,000 on it. I really love the car. Been across the country 4 times with it already. Very reliable car, until recently. Bad oxygen sensor, timing belt gear key broke. I think the worst part of it all is not being able to find a qualified mechanic who knows how to troubleshoot and fix it. Too many amateurs out there. I have found one or two good mechanics so far (but not the dealer!), and I don't let them out of my sight. Everyone tells me to get rid of it, but it's still a good car, as long as I take good care of it, right? Sorry for the long prose. By the way, someone else wrote something about the engine or oil light? My oil light used to come one and buzz until I changed from 10w30 oil to 20w50 oil (Castrol). Haven't seen the light come on since then.
  • pliautaudpliautaud Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My wife and I live near Madison, WI and are on our 10th VW. We currently own a blue '01 Eurovan GLS w/20k and a black '94 Jetta GLX w/150k, both owned since new. The Jetta is one of the first 1500 US models that wer mad in Germany before production moved to Mexico. We tried some other vehicles (Rodeo, Suburban), but always came back to VW. We are fortunate to have a fantastic dealer in Madison that has been VW-only since 1959 (Zimbrick VW East-formerly Brun's VW). If you enjoy driving, German is really the only way to go. Cars built in a country with no speed limits just drive better. I look forward to the cameraderie of other VW drivers
    I have to agree about the German driving feel. Very satisfying and safe.
  • blue_bug_18blue_bug_18 Member Posts: 5
    I'm on my second Beetle. My first was a 1970 deluxe beetle that my grandfather bought new and gave it to me in 1981. When I totaled it (sad day that was) in 1987, it had over 400,000 miles on it- yes that is the right number of zeros.
    Now, I own a 2003 New Beetle Blue Lagoon 2.0. I am considerably older now and I like it a lot. I wish I had 2 liters in my old beetle. It's not a rocket or racer but it's not suppose to be- people drive too fast and dangerously now anyway.
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    My name is Frank and I live in the Chicago area. This is my first VW of any kind. I've not had it more than a month. What can I expect? Like other members, I compared the WRX with the 1.8T. I got more bang for the buck with the GLS. More standard featues for about $3,000 less. My wife didn't want another manual trans. So, I compromised and got the Triptronic. It's very much like a manual without the clutching. I will use the Triptonic when driving. She has her own car. I'm getting old now, and while at a stop light I would sometimes forget to pull the trans back into first. Anyone, has that happen to you? The Jetta now does that for me. My previous car was a 1990 Plymouth Laser with the 2.0L 4 cyl turbo engine. There was more turbo lag than what I wanted. The gears were too far apart and too much play in the box. Before I drive the Jetta I want to sell my 1992 Camry V6 XLE. I didn't realize the Jetta was about the same size as the Laser until latter in my
    research. I was surprised when I discovered the WRX is also about the same size, but I was looking to keep the price down. I wanted a car in the low end price range with performance, and that's when my research led me to the Jetta. I have a German friend, and do I need to say any more? Sorry, I'm just running on, but tell me more about the sway bars. Do they add that much to the performance? I'll drop by again when I get some miles under my seat in the Jetta with my impressions. Thanks everyone, Frank
  • jbariljbaril Member Posts: 43
    Hi, my name is John and I live in the Metro Denver area. I just bought a new '03 Jetta GLI, tornado red w/black leather, monsoon, sunroof, spoiler (which I generally hate), the whole shebang. I can't really tell you what I paid because I'm leasing it and I traded in a vehicle on which I was at least 10K upside down. Let's not get into my lack of entreprenurial skills, shall we? Anyway, I also own an '03 Passat GLS 1.8T 5spd wagon (Anthracite w/silver leather), and have owned an '01.5 Passat GLS V6 (mojave beige with cream cloth), '00 New Beetle GLS 5-spd (yellow/black leatherette), '01.5 Passat GLS 1.8T 5spd wagon (Reflex/black cloth), '96 Passat TDI wagon 5-spd (emerald/grey cloth--this was the best car!). I have a problem with getting bored w/cars but obviously I like VWs. It's my first Jetta--a great, FAST car. Although they're attractive, I'm not exactly keen on the 17 inch wheels and tires--bumpy city. I wonder what a logical 16 or 15 inch replacement tire/wheel would be that wouldn't mess up the speedometer, ESP, etc.?? Also, thinking of adding a dash kit (either carbon or aluminum)? Has anyone done this--does it look cheesy? Is it fairly easy to apply? Looking forward to catching up w/y'all. Thanks for any advice.

JOHN
  • badgrnbugbadgrnbug Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone my name is Kenda and I am from the Reno area. I own a 2002 new beetle tdi gls I love it so much I have went to some shows with him.

Kenda
  • rconkinrconkin Member Posts: 5
    My son has a 72 squareback to drive next year when he turns 16. It has been kept in our garage for the last 10 years. It has less than 60,000 miles on it and was painted just before it was put up. Where can I find out what it is worth? He is thinking about selling it. It needs some minor work on the brakes and will be ready to drive.
  • vwbussmannvwbussmann Member Posts: 5
    Hi,my name is Dave,I live in Grand Junction Colrado.
    My wife Cassandra and I are proud owners of 12 VW's now!!
    We are always looking for more.. My 62 bus is slammed to the ground and is waiting for airbags!! The Safari windows are on the way and will be SHOW ready by next spring! While we wait on parts for the bus we are doing body work on my wifes 1960 euro bug with semaphore turn signals, it will be ready for paint before July. If you know of anyone looking for a camper bus we have 2 that we are willing to part with..a 1971 and a 1972 highroof. We are looking forward to visiting with all of you VW fans out there!!
    Dave :)
    My advice is to go on thesamba.com and look at all there ads, and get a general idea of what the squarebacks are going for. But I think its a great car for your son, and if he doesnt want it my wife would..
    Dave
    HI!
    I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who has owned many VW's!! counting the VW's I have sold we have had over 20, currently we own 3 bugs, 3 bay window busses, 1 split window bus, a ghia,and 2 type 3's.No newer Vw's all are aircooled.. My wife wants a new eurovan, so maybe oneday we will add a new VW to our collection!
    Dave :shades:
This discussion has been closed.