Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Golf Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• krautkarvr6krautkarvr6 Member Posts: 23
    Having owned nine VWs in the last 15 years I do have some experience with aftermarket body kits. A couple of which I installed on two of my Sciroccos. The best kits I believe are made by Zender. For the money they had the best fit, finish and resistance to damage...ie front spoiler. Zender has been in the body kit business for years and they even used to have a contract with VW for "factory" kits on their early Sciroccos. I would advise you to seriously consider this company if you are going to "body kit" your Jetta. One of the nicest things about Zender's Jetta IV kit concerns their rear apron. This piece comes with an exhaust tip "cut out" for an aftermarket muffler which is really sweet. It's one of the few I've seen on the market.

http://www.autotech.com/zender/index.htm

• 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am interested in some tweaks that would improve cornering without affecting the GTI smooth ride (not aftermarket springs for me). Anyone have an experience with aftermarket upper strut bar or larger sway bars on their GTI?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    There are Eibach performance springs available in the dealer's parts dept., or through the VW catalog. They will not void the warranty, but they will be a bit more expensive than aftermarket ones would cost you.

Sway bar might work, but that would be considered aftermarket. Strut bar would stiffen up the steering, not help body lean. Only springs or a stabilizer bar would help that.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I've heard from GTI owners...best thing to get is rear sway bars.

The VW/Eibach springs...the stock struts and shocks don't really match too well (needs firmer dampers)
  • haemonhaemon Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know where I can purchase authentic VW wheels at prices cheaper than what the dealership would charge? For that matter, where can I purchase any authentic VW accessory cheaper than what the dealership would charge?
    Parts.... parts4vws.com
    Wheels.... tires.com has a replica of the 17" VW wheels for $163 each, much cheaper than the dealer.
  • campoutcampout Member Posts: 22
    My wife and I purchased a Jetta Wagon on 1/13/03 and so far after 1600 miles it's a great vehicle. My question is has anyone ever tinted the windows on their wagon? I'm referring to the passenger windows rear, back quarter windows, and rear hatch window. If you have had it done, was it aftermarket (Ziebart,etc.) or did you do it yourself. I am thinking about a thirty percent tint on them. I've done it myself years ago, and may attempt it again, but just curious about the other folks on the list what they have done if anything. This is our fourth VW, first wagon, never any problem with any of them except normal wear and tear. Thanking in advance, any comments appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Paul
    I have had windows tinted before, but don't remember the brand of tint they used. I only kept the car that I had tinted for 8 months, so I didn't really get to see how it would hold up. Make sure you check the legal limits of your state before tinting. If it's too dark, you will fail state inspection and risk getting a ticket and having to have it removed. Also, don't do it yourself. It will turn out with more spots than a dalamtian.
  • campoutcampout Member Posts: 22
    Hello Paul and thanks for the quick reply. A thirty percent tint here in Illinois is ok. I am aware of the air bubbles and spotting it could cause, and I think their is someone at my church who works for Ziebart or someplace similiar so I will call them and get an estimate. Saw your post about moving to Chicago, lived here all of my life! Great city on a Great Lake!. Currently live in suburb of Chicago, Willow Springs, nice small area. Again, thanks for the advice.

Sincerly,
    Paul
    I visited Chicago back in Memorial Day of 02, and really liked the city. Something about going down Lake Shore Drive with the city on one side, and the beach on the other. Very cool. :)
  • lewshellewshel Member Posts: 37
    I want to change the knob. Is this a do it yourself or a dealer project?
  • pwright2pwright2 Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody know where I can purchase exhaust tips for my 2000 passat v6? I'm looking for the ones where you have to cut away a piece of the bumper. I saw it in a VW parts catalog but of course I can't find it. I really don't like the kind that stick out from under the bumper. It looked quite nice in the catalog. Thanks.
    If you saw them in the catalog, you should be able to get them at the dealership's parts dept. Also, check out drivergear.vw.com for more info.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Here is the official VW website for accessories.

http://www.drivergear.vw.com/

You can also use http://www.alltheweb.com or http://www.dogpile.com to search for other accessoroes.
  • jlightseyjlightsey Member Posts: 1

Is there a class 2 hitch available for this vehicle? I have looked everywhere for one, and have had zero luck! In the owners manual it lists the towing capacities for the TDI, the small 4cyl, and the "manual" 1.8T, but under the Automatic column it says "data unavailable at time of printing"!?

I'll worry with the towing capacity AFTER I find a hitch for it. Any help would be appreciated
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    I'd like to know too. I have found aftermarket hitches for the sedan, but the wagon is excluded. Google search turned up nothing. Has anyone actually installed one? If yes, was it stock or a custom built?
  • donutguydonutguy Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 Passat Wagon and love how it looks! I'm concerned that when I eventually need to haul lawn fertilizer, wet trash, etc, that gunk is going to make its way into nooks and cranies or stain the carpets. Do you know of any companies that sell some sort of sturdy plastic liners that I could easily put down in the cargo area. I'm thinking of something like bed liners for pickups but with only a 6-inch wall. Thanks in advance.
  • hailwolfsburghailwolfsburg Member Posts: 7
    Hello all I just bought a 2003 1.8T Wolfsburg I am so excited about it and was wondering if a cold air intake and exhaust will void he cars warranty and also what the best kind to get. I dont really want an obnoxious sounding exhaust though. also what type of power gain will these two modifications achieve? Will it hurt the engine in any way? Stupid question probably but I dont want to do anything detrimental to my new baby. Its black and absolutly beautiful!!!
    (hailwolfsburg) NO! It wont 'void' the warantee.... But if somting goes wrong and they can prove that your moditications caused it... the warantee for that repair may not be covered.

BOTTOM LINE: The warantee is not a all -or- nothing type of thing. Each warantee claim is considerd seperately.

IE....
    *)An aftermarket exhaust system will not 'void' the warantee if the paint starts to peel.
    *) A cold air intake should not affect warantee coverage of the transmission.

To answer your other questions:
    what type of power gain will these two modifications achieve? There is no definitive answer to this... if you want POWER get a chip.

Will it hurt the engine in any way?NO.
  • shaft077shaft077 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know the best place to have a CD player installed in my 2000 VW Jetta? And maybe even a good one to install. Thanks.

-Gary
  • joshwritrjoshwritr Member Posts: 1
    I have both an in-dash CD player and a CD changer for my 2001 Jetta with Monsoon audio and am trying to decide which to install. The dealer won't do either since I didn't buy through them (but for $500, they were a bit pricey!). Any suggestions about which would be better to install?

I should also mention the car is wired for the changer in the trunk already, though the adapter that came with the changer doesn't seem to fit the plug in the trunk. Anyone with any advice, tips, sanity-restoring ideas...?
  • javierguitarisjavierguitaris Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just bought a 2004 Jetta 1.8T and the car is great, but I drove my brothers and my friends 2003 1.8T and it feels like it gives more power for some reason. In the 2003 Jetta gas pedal, as you press slowly, you can hear the car and feel as if it wants to take off right away and in my 2004, I have to really step almost all the way on the gas pedal to make the turbo kick in. It's also really hard to burn tires in my 2004 Jetta 1.8T. Is there any major changes from the 2 year models?
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Hi, bpeebles,

I just bought a brand new 2004 Jetta GLI (VR6), the power output is OK but the braking power is not enough for a 200hp engine ( I guess the rear disc rotor is too small for a 17" wheel). Is there any dealer part or aftermarket disc rotor that can fit to the rim to improve the braking power?
    Secondly, I am not too get used to the the timing of releasing the clutch and pressing the gas pedal. When I drove my Civic coupe, I can pedal the gas again after I release the clutch completely. But if I drive it this way on my Jetta, it will jerk at the time of releasing the clutch. I need to press the gas pedal while releasing the clutch at the same time. Is this the correct way of driving this Jetta or any other stick shift car?

Any answer to the above questions is greatly appreciated.
    Search the internet for aftermarket performance brakes. There are several choices available.

As for your question about driving a stick... it takes practice to make it smooth. If you are THINKING about it, you have not done it enough.

You should be able to release the clutch WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE then apply throttle after the clutch is fully enguaged. Revving the engine while releasing the clutch is a bad habit and will lead to wearing out the clutch.

The secret is being very patient... do not ever expect a quick leap off the line.

Generally it is described as follows:
    Release clutch until you feel the "pull" then STOP releasing the clutch until the vehicle speed "catches up" with the engine--- then finish releasing the clutch.

I have never worn out a clutch in 25 years of driving. I do recall spending a lot of time trying to make every shift smooth as silk....now it is second nature. I can shift smoother than most automatic xmissions.
  • waisunwaisun Member Posts: 4
    Thankyou for your thorough stick shift driving technique, bpeebles.

You said to apply throttle only after partly releasing the clutch when you felt that the vehicle speed catches up with the engine means that the the clutch is fully engaged. Is that correct?

For downshift in manual transmission, what is the correct technique?

What is the ignition coil problem you guys always talked of in the 1.8 Turbo Jetta.
    Any problem in model year 2003-2004 GLI(VR6)?

Appreciate greatly for your reply.
    Theanswer to your first question is "yes".

For downshifting, it is generally considerd correct to "bliip" the throttle to make the enging RPMs match the xmission RPMs.... then ease the clutch enguagement.
    Just downshifting and releasing the clutch is not good for the mechanical parts of the engine.

The " ignition coil problem" was only for the 1.8T (Audi designed engine). This engine has an ignitor coil mounted directly on top of each sparkplug. (CoilOnPlug design -- COP) The " ignition coil problem" was that there was a batch of coils that came from the manufacturer which would start to crack open after being used for awhile. Moisture would get into the cracks and essentually make the spark plug for that coil stop sparking.

The problem was identified by VW and all defective coils were replaced with new ones. Technically, there should no longer be any (possibly) defective coils in use anywhere in the world because of this. Of course, some people chose to ignore the mailing from VW telling them to bring in their car to have the coils replaced....then they complain when a coil quits. ( go figure!! )
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    I had that same coil cracking problem on my 1997 Jetta (which I promptly replaced last year for $140 and 20 minutes of R&R - the hardest part was actually finding the special Torx sockets at the auto parts store). So this coil issue probably dates back to the 1992/1993 VW design changeover - when Bosch changed from the traditional cylindrical-shaped 12v ignition coil to a more compact plastic-covered coil. The ironic thing about this was those traditional coils were rock-solid reliable (The Bosch ignition coil on my deceased 1987 VW Golf GT was the original one - 624K miles and still going strong at the time of my collision with Bambi).

One mechanic that I know uses the water bottle test on the coil. If the engine dies when water is sprayed on the coil - its time for a replacement.... :)
  • bill1201bill1201 Member Posts: 1
    My radio reception in my 1999 Beetle is horrible. The problem has existed since I purchased the car. AM is terrible and FM is not much better. Does anyone have any idea on what I can do. I do not want a new radio, just better reception.
    If you have the "amplified antenna", then suspect that as the issue.

Basically, the "amplified antenna" has an RF amplifier built into the base of it. The radio sends power to it thru the antenna wire. Some folks have had luck in "fixing" you type of problem by cleaning the contacts on the plug at the base of the antenna where the wire plugs in. I beleive that is accessed by pulling down the headliner inside the car.
  • anyo33anyo33 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone suggest a deep throaty exhaust system or muffler for a 2001 VR6 Jetta?? The stock system is so quiet it's hard on the clutch...do not want the spitting cat back system!!..Also why a pre-muffler after catalytic converter...has anyone removed this??...thanks
  • spbeyondspbeyond Member Posts: 1
    Hey i got a 84 rabbit and the dashlight under the battery is always lit, not the one directly under but the one under that... what does that one say is happening? Also the car started great until the last time today then it wouldn't start, says theres plenty in the battery... Any help? Thanks
  • paldipaldi Member Posts: 210
    Looking for floor mats, trunk mats, leather dye, umbrella, coffee mugs, seat protectors, aftermarket 19 or 20" wheels, grills, 4Motion emblem, V8 emblem, wood steering wheel, English (RHD) arm rest - passenger side front in gray, solar sunroof panel. euro front bumper trim, PHAETON letters, W12 mufflers and rear valence. That's all for now. :)
  • extremeproaudiextremeproaudi Member Posts: 5
    If your still interested... You can buy an adaptor from soundgate that plugs into the factory cd-chager plug in the trunk and purchase a compatable aftermarket changer (alpine, pioneer, sony).
  • extremeproaudiextremeproaudi Member Posts: 5
    Re: My radio reception in my 1999 Beetle is horrible. The problem has existed since I purchased the car. AM is terrible and FM is not much better. Does anyone have any idea on what I can do. I do not want a new radio, just better reception.

When I purchased my jetta, I had found that the antenna base (where the antenna meets the roof line) was somewhat loose. When I cleaned the small amount of gunk underneath, I found that my reception on AM and FM became crystal clear.
    The most common "fix" for that problem is to clean the connection at the wire plug beneath the antenna. It is accessed from the INSIDE of the vehicle. The headliner is pulled down and the connector is right there.
  • ratrustleratrustle Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone researched why the bluetooth buttons that are on the steering wheel of the new Jetta 2005.5 models are listed in the owners manual as not applicable?

It seems awfully odd that the buttons would be on the car, but don't work. Is this a Euro option?

What gives?

RR
  • rutterrutter Member Posts: 2
    I own a Polo classic and cant find any mods for it can anyone help???
  • tremorwolftremorwolf Member Posts: 1
    Your gunnna luv this one dude.. The reason the blue tooth is listed as optional is because the actual unit to MAKE it blue tooth is missing.. They built the car WITH the buttons and icons, not to mention the back wires.... but never got around to MAKING the module...

That is exactly what the Sales rep at Miramar Volkswagen told me when I asked... I have a Bluetooth phone and my computer (Mac g5 tower) is also all blue tooth......

I was astounded to say the least... Supposedly, the models coming out later this year will have the right equipment pre installed...and "Maybe" a module will be ready to be added to pre wired blue tooth 05 jettas soon.

kinda sucks huh.
    :confuse:
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    I'm seeing advertised a rear spoiler for the Jetta Wagon. Just looks or does this have any practical value? See Ebay for the item.
    Any spoiler on a street-driven automobile is for looks. The yungsters seem to LUV the look... I often wonder if they have a clue what a spoiler is supposed to be used for.

To me, a spoiler is just more holes drilled thru the sheetmetal where rust can get a start. (ANY hole drilled thru the sheetmetal after it has been galvonized is asking for rust.)
  • klh3klh3 Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if I could replace my 05 side view mirrors with 06 mirrors that have the auto light dimming? :)
  • acoxacox Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Can someone give me some information? I have a Karmann Ghia radio and luggage rack that we took off our old Karmann Ghia before donating it to Good Will twenty years ago. They are both in good shape. How do I go about selling these items? Is there a place where I can list them for sale where I know car collectors look - besides ebay? Thanks so much.
  • nubeenubee Member Posts: 1
    What's the difference between the Type 1-2-3 motors?
    I don't know and would appreciate the info. Just bought a 1975 Beetle (assuming it is a Super Beetle, dunno tho).
    Has Auto/Shift "O" Matic.. something like Low-1-2 I think, can't remember.
    Don't know anything about the automatic's.
    But wondered what the Type's are? Sorry for being lame! :blush:
  • cursichellacursichella Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I'm interested in buying these. What year was your Ghia?
    Does the radio work and is rack in good shape? Thanks,
    Carla
  • acoxacox Member Posts: 2
    Hi Carla, Yes to both questions. I will be listing them on ebay when school ends (I am a teacher and ending up the school year). My name on ebay is lovetoteach53 and my email address is cbracox@adelphia.net. If you want me to let you know when I list them, send me your email and I'll let you know. I've had them for over 21 years and I'm not even sure what year the Ghia was. We do have the original car manual though and I can look it up for you. I think we have the jack too. Thanks, Anne
  • cursichellacursichella Member Posts: 5
    Great! I'd be grateful if you'd look up the year in the manual, as the rack might not fit depending on the year.
    Thanks!
  • anifruzaidi69anifruzaidi69 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I saw the previous e-mail you had with Carla. Do you still happen to have those radio and luggage rack. How much do you want for them?

Anif
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    We do not allow any buying/selling in the forum discussions, so please do not post such items. Thanks for the cooperation.
  • mansuemansue Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 2.0l engine for my vw golf. can anybody give me a consideration on what kind of turbo i can put on it
    If you really want to add power to the 2.0L, there is a SUPERCHARGER KIT available.

Turbochargers on that engine requre a bit of engine-tuning knowledge and customized plumbing.
This discussion has been closed.