Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Owners Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited October 2014 in Acura
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your MDX!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays: 4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays: 5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET, 6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET, 7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• tracsystracsys Member Posts: 1
    I was told at the time we purchased our new MDX that there was a way to modify the Nav system's DVD player to play standard movie format discs. Does anyone know about this capability?
    twilliams@tracmed.com
  • bp53bp53 Member Posts: 23
    I went into the garage this morning and noticed a puddle of water undereath the right front of our newly-purchased MDX. I raised the hood and finally discovered where something [mouse, rat] had chewed several holes into the clear tubing that runs from the bottom of the windshield washer reservoir to the top of the hood. What a shock. Has anyone had a similar experience? Hopefully this won't be a major repair job. I hope no other damage has been done. Do any of you readers have a suggestion how to keep mice/rats off vehicles? Yes, I know, I could put a cat out there, but then I would have scratches on the vehicle. Hope to hear from someone.
  • thetrainerthetrainer Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving my MDX for three weeks now and have noticed scratches developing on the pillar next to the drivers seat. it seems that when the seat belt is released the hard buckle bangs against the plastic and leaves it's mark. has anyone else experienced this problem? And What's up with the drivers side floor mat? Even with the optional heavy duty rubber mats it leaves the carpet unprotected. any ideas? Besides these two down falls I have developed a banging noise on the drivers side front end, and the rear windshield washer drips out slowly. I will let you know how I make out after my first service call on 5/31/01.
  • tonverangatonveranga Member Posts: 29
    Just ordered a Blk/Tan Mdx and it's not scheduled to arrive until July...I would like to retrofit the video display as well..any ideas?
    raygamma
  • richardhgreggrichardhgregg Member Posts: 6
    I am a biomedical engineer from the Ergonomics Research Laboratory (ERL) in Lansing, Michigan. I am conducting research that involves the driver's seat/area of some of the 2001 Best of Class vehicles. I would like to include the new MDX in the study. If you are interested in learning more about our research or arranging to have your MDX included in the study please email me at richard.gregg@erlllc.com. You would be welcome to watch the entire process of my analysis. I am confident you would find our research very interesting and you would learn a great deal about your new vehicle. You would also be paid a rental fee. I have worked with several dealers and private owners in our area and could provide many references to you. Thank You.
  • ragrustiragrusti Member Posts: 1
    They are two separate systems. The DVD system for movies sells for approximately $5,000
  • gregglgreggl Member Posts: 2
    I have read some comments about water leaking around the mirrors of the MDX. I am a happy owner of the MDX, but would like to know if anyone has been able to get resolution to this issue. The water will leak down the front of the door days after the car has been washed. That water must be sitting some place and I am concerned that it is doing no-good. I have asked my dealership to notify me when Acura has offered a solution, but nothing yet. Anyone have comments?
  • cpatenncpatenn Member Posts: 3
    To Greggl:

After washing my dark mahogany, Touring edition
    MDX, I simply use my Toro leaf blower to dry the
    vehicle. I finish the drying with a damp chamois.
    I've had no problem with water dripping from the
    mirrors or any other part of the vehicle. Using
    a blower greatly simplifies the drying process.
  • jamesw7jamesw7 Member Posts: 23
    My wife owns an MDX and I enjoy driving it every
    time we go out as a family, lots of room, quality ride, good engine power, ease of use control, etc. We own the car since January and I still have to adjust parking the car. I am quite good in terms of parking including parallel parking since I used to live in NYC, but with the MDX and because it is so wide, I do have to take time to orient the car straight. Sometimes it is quite annoying. I also own an RAV4 and with 67" wide
    and do not have this kind of problem at all.
    The other complaint I have is the wind noise due to the roof rack and I searched through a lot of columns and cannot find any recommendation of the fixes. There is no horizontal bar around the roof rack either so how do you tighten the luggage with only front and back bars? Honda
    engineers really missed this one.

James
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Just wanted to invite you guys to join the Tri-state group of Subarus from http://i-club.com to join us for a Drive-a-thon. We are driving 48hrs, 1200miles from NYC->Newark, DE->Philadelphia->Pittsburg->Buffalo->Rochester->Albany->Nyack, NY on a weekend in January to raise money for the WTC relief fund. Details are at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/48hrsoftristate/index.html or e-mail me 48hrs@iace.com for details.

-mike

• lenglenlenglen Member Posts: 2
    I have a one month old 2002 MDX. Has anyone had a problem with the navigation system not being able to determine which street you are on? Mine too frequently doesn't know I am on the street and keeps telling me to "proceed to the highlighted route." It also sometimes suddenly thinks I am on a close by street that is parallel to the one I am actually on and "recalculates" to get me back to the right street. My dealer took it for a drive and was unable to reproduce the problem. I was told that even if they could, I would only get a "reconditioned" unit to replace it, not a brand new unit. This doesn't seem fair for brand new vehicle.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    That's a great question! You might also post it in Maintenance & Repair as someone else there might have encountered a similar problem.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jfxmjrjfxmjr Member Posts: 2
    looking for best dealer price for touring with nav mdx in philadelphia area. any suggestions? thanks,jfxmjr1@aol.com
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    well, not quite yet, I own $500 of a deposit on a Silver Touring. I have been reading the posts here, and commenting as well. After much deliberation I put a deposit down before Christmas.

I am getting mine at the airport Acura dealer in Philadelphia. I don't remember the name off hand. The salesman Chris Jerrel (spelling?) was a decent person. We are getting it for MSRP. Though, they force you to get mud-flaps and wheel-locks with the new car for $300 (all of $85) to purchase online). So I guess it is MSRP + $215.
  • katiemaykatiemay Member Posts: 1
    I have a MDX on order and it is due to be in at the end of February. Yeah! I have heard that some people but accessories on-line and then install them by themselves. I am interested in the following: Exterior: running boards, moon roof deflector, fender flares Interior: wood shift know, wood instrument panel and wood shift knob. Does anyone know about if you can purchase on-line and how easy are they to install?
  • spatelonespatelone Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I give up as to playing regular DVD movie in Navigation System of any acura model(Navi equipped).

However, can anyone at least tell me what format is used to write that Navi DVD? What I mean is it has to follow anyone of the format:

1. ISO Level 1
    2. ISO Level 2
    3. Hybrid
    4. UDF/ISO

??? If I can atleast find out the format, then, I can convert DVD movies into that format on my computer and then burn them on blank DVD which I can put in Navi System and play it.

Anyone want's to play with this idea, please write me to my e-mail: SPatelOne@Yahoo.Com

Thank you
  • rangertomrangertom Member Posts: 1
    I have had a good experience with hondacuraworld.com., prices are below list, shipping is free, handling is 2 dollars.
  • foxcroft1foxcroft1 Member Posts: 16
    Greggl,

There is a Service Bulletin, number 01-032, that explains how the dealer can fix that problem. I can't find the web page right now, but, I have a copy of it in front of me, so it is correct info.

If you get a chance, you can help me with something. When I put my MDX in Park i can hear a whirring type of sound coming from the transmission. it is not very loud and I hear it clearer when there are walls beside the car. The sounds bounce off the walls and is easy to hear. With the engine running, and the shifting selector is moved into and out of Park, I get the noise. Can you try your's and let me know if you get the same thing? Thanks and good luck with the mirrors.
  • gmrbimmerboygmrbimmerboy Member Posts: 2
    I am considering placing an order for a Black/Black Touring Package MDX, without the Navigation System. I was wondering if you could help me out, as I have a few questions.

Have you experienced any reliability issues? (electrical system problems, engine problems, etc.)

I have a family of 4, and we like to drive on long road trips (in excess of 1000 miles). How good is the car on long trips? (Read: keeping the kids from fighting, seat comfort, durability at highway speeds and faster, etc.)

Is it good in snow? (I live in New England, I need a good 4WD vehicle to get around)

I thank you in advance for replying to this posting. It would be greatly appreciated!

Jerry
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Mine is 2 weeks old. Love it. The black interior gets dirty easily, but I like it better than the tan. As far as snow, you should do a web search on related articles. I remember reading one about how honda took the MDX to various world wide locations especially to prove its snow capabilities. I believe the system was specifically designed for snow rather than rock climbing or off-roading...which is what most consumers want. I don't have any experience driving one in the snow, but I followed one in my Trooper (simply the best snow vehicle I have ever driven to date) and didn't see any slipping or problems in 6+" of snow.

As far as road trips I have no real experience yet, but one of the comments in the reviews is true. The driver's left foot doesn't have a great resting spot? While I don't see anything wrong from the design, I have noticed that it can be awkward (slightly).
  • dlabeaudlabeau Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with my 2002 MDX where the front windows are getting wet on the inside. If the outside of the car gets wet (rain, car wash) and I use the windows, I have noticed that as soon as I roll up the window the inside is completely wet! Yes, that is correct, the inside of the windows! I don't even need to roll the window down completely. In fact I have shown the dealership that if you roll the window down even 1 inch, then roll it back up again, the bottom inside 1 inch of the window will be wet!

I have had the dealership look at this problem. They sent my MDX through the car wash and replicated the problem. They then sent 2 brand new MDXs through the wash and the same problem occurred. After consulting with their Technical Center they were told that the problem had been reported before, by other dealerships, and there was currently no known fix. The local service center manager then contacted his friend, who owns an MDX, and was told that he also has this problem. That is fairly significant to have 4 out of 4 cars tested show this problem. Acura technicians have even told me they are not sure Acura is going to fix this problem and they have no way of finding out!

Do you have the same problem? Drop me an email at dlabeau@charter.net
  • asteinastein Member Posts: 2
    Hi Karen

Tomorrow I will be going to an Acura dealership to purchase an '05 MDX with the touring pkg. I saw the sticker price somewhere between $42,000 and $43,000.

Where can I find out what the dealer invoice price is for this same car? Is it on the sticker? If I ask to see it will the salesman show it to me or blow me off. I look forward to your reply.

astein
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You won't find the invoice price on the sticker and the salesperson may/may not be forthcoming with the info. However, Edmunds has this info. You didn't specify which touring package, so go to this page and choose the package you're interested in. This will bring up a page with the MSRP and the invoice price. Be sure to check the TMV as that is the price consumers are paying in your area.

Hope this helps!
  • toshibatoshiba Member Posts: 2
    You may want to check if your dealer has an internet sales manager. Most of the time they are very forthcoming about the invoice price. Got mine at $200 above invoice and was able to purchase my MDX Touring with Nav and DVD at a couple of hundred more above the MSRP (that is with all the taxes, dmv and even an EXTENDED Warranty). If your in Southern California, give me a buzz and I'll give you my friend's number.
  • chicagomdxchicagomdx Member Posts: 2
    Hey, does anybody know any good dealership for 2005 MDX Acura in the Chicago area? I'm trying to get the best deal as much as I could before I commit myself to any one of them.
  • mdxlovermdxlover Member Posts: 18
    Could any one refer a good dealer and a sales person to get a good deal on 05 MDX in South West Connecticut area (Danbury,CT)?

Do local Acura Dealer will accept the TMV or Invoice price that Edmunds specified?

Thanks in Advance
    MdxLover
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Read thru the Acura MDX: Prices Paid topic. You may find some info there.
  • talatu2talatu2 Member Posts: 4
    I recently had to have a jump to start my mdx '05. First I thought it was engine oil, it was low but not empty. My husband said it was the starter but I do not agree because my car is fairly new with only 16000 miles.
    I have scheduled service with the dealer and was wondering if any one has had this happen to them.

Thanks
    talatu
  • billyakobillyako Member Posts: 2
    hi my name is billy.i just purchesed an 04 mdx and im having the same problem with the inside of the window getting wet.i know your blogs is old ,but i was wondering if you had any luck with a fix.thanks billy
  • billyakobillyako Member Posts: 2
    Hi i have an 04 mdx.when i wash it or it rains after i roll down the window and roll it back up,the inside of the window is wet.does any body have any clue of why this would be happening or a fix.the dealeraships tell me they never herd of this complaint.thanks
  • acurajoeacurajoe Member Posts: 5
    Just realized that there was so many other mdx'ers with transmission problems. Well I have a 2002 Acura Mdx 2nd owner, with 160k and transmission problems. I just found out it was recalled, and tranny was replaced in 2004 when it had 43k. I called acura client services like other mdx'ers did told them about my problem. I was advised to take it into the dealer and have a diagnostics but i will have to pay for it, and if it was for the same reason they would fix it and refund me the diagnostics fee. The dealer calls me 4 hours after and confirms the tranny problem and had already called Acura to advise them of my problem. 3 days later dealer calls me and informs me that Acura cant help me and i had to pay the full amount of repair which was 5600 they offered discount on parts but still was 5400. What am I to do now? is there a class action lawsuit goin on, if so i want in on this.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A Women’s Health magazine reporter is interested in speaking with women on the appeal of SUV’s and Minivans. If you previously owned a minivan and currently own an SUV or other crossover utility vehicle and are interested in speaking with this reporter about why you chose it and what you like about it, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your name, email address and day time phone number by Wednesday, August 3, 2011.
This discussion has been closed.