Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• superturbosuperturbo Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem! Have you gotten an answer?
    :confuse:
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Hold the clock button in until display beeps and starts flashing, then use the SCAN/AUTO button to either change hours or minutes.
  • jspainjspain Member Posts: 4
    i'm almost positive that i tried that. when i held it in, nothing happened. maybe i wasn't holding it down long enough?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    You've got to hold the button a few seconds.
  • dingwoman1dingwoman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! If I had brothers I'd ask them about this: I have a 2000 Mazda Protege with 88,000 miles. I really haven't done anything for it, except buy 2 new sets of tires (no more cheap tires from now on!), new filters when needed, and a flush that I can't specify at about 50,000.

Can you please tell me what I need to do in order to drive this car for many more years? Am I too late? Thanks for any help - Sara
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    You could try checking the appendix of your owner's manual.
    Also, there is an excellent online manual http://protege5.ugly.net/ which includes in the general introduction (00 section) the maintenance schedule. Also, it may be a good idea to ask the garage that you are using to do an overall check of the car. For starters, you'll likely need new spark plugs and have your transmission fluid flushed. Also, it's getting awfully close to replacing your timing belt; you don't want to procrastinate too long with that service.
  • shirleyhshirleyh Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Mazda Protege LX with 60.700 miles on it. Took it for oil change etc and mechanic said (without driving it) that I should replace the 4 struts due to age of the car and that they should have been replaced at 50.000 miles. The car drives great and since it is expensive to replace all 4 (quote was $913.00) I need to put this off for awhile. How do I know when I really need new ones?
    Please advise
    98 Mazda Protege LX with 60.700 miles ... drives great ... mechanic said (without driving it) ... replace the 4 struts due to age

Curious. It sounds like you may need a new mechanic more than new struts. I test my shocks / struts by leaning on the corner of the car and watching it bounce back up. If it rebounds more than twice the shocks are likely worn. Also, if you don't feel safe turning corners or stopping because the car leans excessively then you would be wise to have the car checked. Otherwise, I would keep on driving ... to the next mechanic.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Usually around 80K you start testing the struts or even relying on your own judgment about how the car feels. 60K sounds a tad premature but you can inspect for leakage, unusual tire wear, or instability on hard turns or bumps.
    The mechanic you spoke to, is a thief. Find a new mechanic.

As far as the struts go, the struts on my P5 have over 110,000 miles on them and show no signs of wear. Generally, when they are bad, they will rattle and you might hear a clunking noise. As Autonomous mentioned, the bounce test is valid also. Even so, if the car drives well, keep driving. Struts are not a preventative maintenance item.
    Thank you for the valuable info. I think women get taken advantage of when it comes to auto repair!
    Thank you for the info. I think because I am a woman I was conned a little.
    Shirley
    because I am a woman I was conned a little

Unfortunately it happens, but not only to women. We're all here trying to learn as much as we can.
    Have a great summer riding your Pro!
  • 2002pro22002pro2 Member Posts: 4
    I live in halifax, canada where we have very very crappy roads, and after the winter I need new struts for my 02'LX 2.0. Any suggestions for some GOOD ones?
    Ive been to every automotive store in the whole damn city and could not find a Hayes repair manual for my 02' Pro LX 2.0, any body have one they could possibly send?? My credit is maxed out..(lol)...so i can't order one.
    Free online shop manual; http://protege5.ugly.net/

If you don't have the money for a service manual I don't know how you will be able to afford struts. Might try a salvage yard.
    ... halifax, canada where we have very very crappy roads ...

Ah, beautiful Halifax! My memories of Halifax include the steep descent from centretown to the waterfront. That must take a toll on the brakes as well as the suspension. Also, being a seaport doesn't that spell corrosion?

But, if you want to feel better, just come to the island of Montreal where the roads swallow cars. It's a constant battle for the city to keep patching the roads after each winter's ravages. I love the place but it can be wicked on your machine.

I don't know what to say about replacing the struts other than start saving your money for that credit card bill. Personally, I wouldn't go for salvaged struts unless I wasn't planning to keep the car.
    LOL it's not about the money, i'm working on the credit card bill but im just not able to order a repair manual because the card is maxxed currently. So thank you for the manual. But for the srtuts, i just need to know a good brand so i can go buy them. I don't need credit conselling!! :mad: cards get maxxed out, [non-permissible content removed] happens.
    My question is what are good struts to buy for a city with bad bumpy roads?
    Assuming you have a good garage, I would:
    1. call a local Mazda dealer and ask them which struts they would recommend; ask them for a quote with the price of the parts separate from the labour; if they are OEM parts ask if there are any cheaper alternatives with a similar/better warranty;
    2. call a local auto parts supplier to ask them how much they would charge for the parts.

What you may find is that it may be cheaper going through an independent garage to install non-OEM parts.

Otherwise as you say [non-permissible content removed] happens. Good luck!
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    I am planning on purchasing a 99 DX Protege with 70,000 miles that is leaking from the crankshaft and or cam seal. I understand I need to change the timing belt. He wants to change the water pump and all the belts and gaskets as well. The price is $700. The seller is paying for the job. Does this sound fair?
    99 DX Protege with 70,000 miles that is leaking from the crankshaft and or cam seal. I understand I need to change the timing belt. He wants to change the water pump and all the belts and gaskets as well.
    Who is "he"? A salesman, an owner, a mechanic?

I would not buy a used car without having my mechanic check it over thoroughly. If you don't have a trusted mechanic you're running the risk of buying someone else's problem.
    I have taken this 99 Protege that I am considering to purchase to a Japanese Repair shop in my area and the car was put up on a lift. I could see clearly the oil leak from the front crank area. I was told that this sometimes happens with the crankseal and/or camshaft seal. The timing belt would have to be done at 90,000 miles anyway and the mechanic will only do the job if the waterpump is also replaced. I told the seller that if he does all the repairs I will purchase the car for his asking price of $4200. All the belts, and valve cover gasket will be changed as well. The dealer quoted $850 with tax for the job and this mechanic will do it for $700. The Seller is paying for everything. I will be getting a 12 month /12 Thousand mile warranty on the job. I'm please with this arrangement as I will be getting a car with 70,000 miles, new tires, new timing belt and water pump and belts, all origianl paint,ice cold air, very stong engine and transmission that steers straight with no noises from suspension, axles, or anywhere else. I had a 2002 Protege that my daughter totalled. This car runs as well. I will be able to test the car again after the job is done and before I purchase.
    Sounds like you've done your homework.

You may not want your daughter to do the test drive. :surprise:
    Not a chance! I don't even like sitting in the passenger seat. :):)
    The engine on my 99 1.6 runs very smooth, however in drive I notice a vibration at the gear shift lever. There is no clunking when going from Park to drive nor do I notice much engine movement when reving in park. Would this be an indication of weak motor mounts?
  • pietdriverpietdriver Member Posts: 1
    I bought my daughter her first car, a 97 and she just adores it. Right now the engine light is on ( code for something in the EGR system) I pulled the EGR and it is not stuck open or closed and will hold liqued (therefore not leaking). The car is very hard to start in the morning, but once it starts it seems to run well and is ok for the rest of the day. Any Ideas on what to check next, thanks.
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    Highly suggest you get the CEL code read and post what it reads. BTW, you can get the computer code read for free @your local Auto Zone...
  • oldman15oldman15 Member Posts: 43
    My 2003 P5 88,000 miles, produces a low groaning type noise that increases in pitch w/ speed. At over 30 mph, makes noise w/ clutch in or out, so it seems not to be tranny related. Noise stops if I turn the steering wheel to the right while car is in motion. Either something is rubbing against a tire, or front gear problem, or bearing problem, or,...
    Before I take it in and am at the mercy of their cash register, thought I'd get some advise from you all.
    Any ideas?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd look at the power steering pump--fluid, belt tension, leaks, etc.

Also wheel bearing noise is possible.
  • bluememobluememo Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    I got a 2001 Protege LX 2.0. Recently I hear some cranking noise from front left bottom when I do the U-turn (left U-turn). I went to mechanic and he said there is a problem with left axle. But after I changed the left front axle ($180 cost), there noise is still there. Does anyone got any idea about this problem? Thanks~~
  • downtubedowntube Member Posts: 43
    front sway-bar endlinks or bushings

google "protege suspension noise" and you'll find tons of info

rear sway-bars clunk also

mine currently does both :(
    Coming up on 101,000 miles on my 03 P5 5-speed. Prices for timing belt & water pump are averaging $550. Some dealers suggest replacing the tension pulleys, others just slip old belt off and and slip new one on.
    Any suggestions.
    My guess is I'm safer going w/ a dealer vs. private shop, in case the new belt breaks or other problems arise.
    Any suggestions?

Also, considered replacing air filter w/ stock K&H. They appear to allow better air flow because they don't filter small particles in intake air as effectively as a standard filter.
    Anyone have any experience or opinions w/ K&H filters.

Thanks
    The advice I have been given is to get the whole job done.

The timing belt is cheap. The real cost is getting to it. The mechanic has to remove parts to access the belt. So, once the garage has access, they frequently suggest other work such as replacing other belts in the area and the water pump. Personally, I think that's a good idea. Otherwise, one runs the risk of having a belt or related component break a few months later and having to go through the whole process and cost all over again.
    03 P5 5-speed.
    Any after market pads and rotors that are better performers than OEM w/ rotors that don't rust?
    Thanks.
    "One dealership said synthetic causes seals to deteriorate."

The dealer that said that is an idiot. If they are stupid enough to make such a comment, they are clearly too dumb to work on your car. Stay far away from them.
    03 P5 5-speed w/ 100,000 miles needs transmission lube change.
    GL-4 rated 75W90 can't be found anywhere.
    GL-5 rated has additives that corrode brass components in transmission.
    One dealership said synthetic causes seals to deteriorate.

Any ideas? Thanks
  • tds2003tds2003 Member Posts: 3
    I run a Honda/Acura repair center, but I bought a 2003 DX 2.0 for my drive back and forth everyday work car.
    The local dealer parts dept. says Ngk BKR5E-11 (6953)
    The Ngk catalog and everything else I check says NGK ZFR6F-11 (4291)
    This car has 113,000 on it, was previously in a rent a car fleet and has been extremly well maintained.
    I just did the Tbelt, seals, waterpump, tensioner and spring.
    Any clues on which spark plug is correct?

TDS
    I would go with the owner's manual; it's available online via Edmunds.
  • tds2003tds2003 Member Posts: 3
    As mentioned in the above reply?

TDS2003
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Maybe I should have added this: On the Mazda web site you register your car then you click on "Owner" followed by "My Mazda" followed by "Downloads" (this is from my memory)
  • JC1978JC1978 Member Posts: 2
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE LOCATION FOR AN ECU IS, ON A 2003 MAZDA PROTEGE5 4CYL,2.OL?
  • JC1978JC1978 Member Posts: 2
    I MIGHT B ABLE TO HELP. TRY PEPPBOYS!!! IM FROM LOUISIANA AND I NEED MY TIMEING BELT CHANGED TO. I KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN DO MINE FOR 300.00.ALSO IT IS RECOMMENDED AT 70,000 MILES, BUT IT CAN REALLY GO A 100,000 MILES, AS SO I WAS TOLD.(YES UR MAZDA HAS A TIMEING BELT)
  • kcisdunnkcisdunn Member Posts: 1
    I am very interested in the p5, anything in particular I should look for in buying an 02 w 81k? Really appreciated.

Kasey
    interested in the p5, anything in particular I should look for in buying an 02 w 81k?

On the whole a well-maintained Protege is a wonderful thing. I have a 2002 and it remains a treat to drive.

But to be sure it's a good idea to check it out (or even better have it checked out at a garage). In addition to the usual stuff (maintenance records: has the timing belt been replaced) check out the tires (do they need to be replaced?), check for rust (especially in wheel wells and bottom of doors) as well as check the ignition and fuel system (a good test drive will tell you a lot about any hesitation or other problems). Good luck and let us know if you join the P5-group. :D
  • caronab1caronab1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how hard it is to change your own O2 sensor? I can find the sensor online for about $40 but didn't know if it was worth a try to do it on my own ('98 protege with 140,000 miles...).
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    You'll need to have a special socket that has a split in the side to get that bad boy off. It also helps if you can put her on a list as you'll need some swinging room room to apply some torque. Good luck...
  • zoomer817zoomer817 Member Posts: 1
    I am also confused. I took my 2002 Protege in for servicing today with 103,000 km showing. Several things were done, but I was told that I didn't need my transaxle fluid changed until many more kms had passed. They suggested this was because the fluid was changed at 72,000 km, but it wasn't because (according to our service records) this was not required for Proteges. While they topped up my transaxle fluid today, I cannot remember it ever being changed yet nobody seems concerned about this. Ideas?

Another issue arose where the dealership suggested that I had to change my timing belt, yet the manual says that the timing belt doesn't need to be changed until 168,000 kms/60 000 miles. The service guy warned that I would be towed in within 20 000 km if I didn't change the timing belt now, but I'm concerned that they are just trying to push for a very expensive servicing. Has anyone any comment for this?

Thanks,

Zoomer :(
    I ran my 2003 P5 to 102,000 miles before changing the timing belt. Mostly highway miles, but belt still "looked" OK. I believe owners manual states "inspect" at 60 K miles, replace at 100K. It is an "interference" motor so damage can happen it it breaks. When you decide to replace the belt, do the H2O pump at the same time.

If it's an Automatc, change trans fluid every 30 K miles.

I contacted Mazda as per 5-speed manual Trans fluid change. They said never to change unless there are problems. Additionally, it takes GL-4 level fluid (not produced any more), 75W-90.
    All manual standard oil based fluids contain sulphur additives which deteriorate the "yellow metal" brass synchros. GL-4 contains a lesser amount.
    GL-5 rated fluids contain much more sulpher additive, so replacing the fluid can actually deteriorate the synchros even faster, leaving the car owner w/ trans rebuild problems you never even had before. 5 dealers in my area have no clue, they just sell service. Do a google search on GL-4 trans fluid for more info.

If you do opt to replace trans fluid, find a fully synthetic w/ no sulpher compounds. Again, do a google search.

Good luck.

Oldman15
This discussion has been closed.