Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

1181920212224»

Comments

• glaserronglaserron Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Protege5 with a factory installed radio/CD player. I would like to be able to play my iPod through the system but have had unsatisfactory results with a number of the FM transmitter interfaces on the market. Ideally I would like to add a line input to my car stereo or, if that's impossible, a cassette player so I can use one of those cassette adapters (which perform way better than the FM transmitters).

Has anyone out there done this? If not, anyone know of a source for the service manual for the stereo? Thanks.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I believe I have an answer for you that you will really like. The following is a paraphrase of info I posted here some time ago:

FM Modulator That Actually Works

I have a recommendation for those who, for any reason, might want to play a MP3 player, CD player, USB flash drive, or other audio output device through their car radio.

I tried out eight different FM modulators of the type that transmits an FM signal through the air to be received by your car radio. I was very disappointed with the results. Not a one of them was in any way usable at all. The signal went up and down, the background noise was unacceptable. They were all a disaster, and some cost up to $80 (luckily I bought them all with a return privilege). All were of the "wireless transmission" type. I believe this is the important distinction as compared to the device I will now mention.

About a year ago I came across an FM modulator that plugs into your cigarette lighter and into which you attach a MP3 player (CD player or other audio output unit) via an audio cable (supplied). Or, as an option, you can also insert a USB flash drive directly into a USB port on the modulator. This product is called the "VR3 MP3 FM Modulator", it is made by Virtual Reality Sound Labs and can be seen at:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3579125

I have been very satisfied with both voice and music played through this device via the audio cable. Music played from USB flash drives however seems to lack a little bass. No batteries are needed, power is supplied by the cigarette outlet. This device does stick out somewhat from the dash so you must make sure it will not interfere with your dash controls.

I bought this modulator at Costco for $26, including sales tax. If you don't find it at Costco I believe Fry's, BestBuys and others now carry it.
  • dan333dan333 Member Posts: 1
    Would anyone be able to help me with wiring info to install a remote starter on a 2001 Protege. I also seem to be getting conflicting opinions to if this car has a factory security system that needs to be by passed. Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.
  • lucienmbdlucienmbd Member Posts: 1
    You (meinrad) wrote:

I found a Honda parts site that has every clip, bold, panel, etc., that makes the car a whole piece.

Can you share the web site's name?
  • 02espimp02espimp Member Posts: 1
    Yo check out cork sport for any mazda parts
  • ilovedesmoinesilovedesmoines Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where I can get a pair of clear side turn signals for a 2002 protege5? I hate the orange ones that come stock. They should definately be clear like the headlights. I've searched everywhere but can't find them. I know they exist because i've seen one with them driving around once in a while.
    thanks.
  • rdejohnrdejohn Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has an 02 Mazda Protege LX and the dealer tells her she needs a 400 Alarm kit replaced to solve her problem that when she locks the car, her headlights turn on and stay on. Can anyone tell me where this kit is located and if it's readily available? I own my own repair shop and could probably change it, but I really have no idea what component I'm looking for. Thank You
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    Try corksport.com or EBay
  • brb588brb588 Member Posts: 1
    Hey... did you do anything special? I bought everything you did, installed it myself and it didn't work. Then I brought it to Best Buy and it still didn't work. I got the parts swapped and it still doesn't work. Can anyone help? Is it my factory radio?
  • rgoodlettrgoodlett Member Posts: 2
    I need some help removing roof rack. I have a 2002 Protege 5. I got the two bars off. Do the black plastic rails attached to the roof come off? And if so, will i need to plug any sort of holes left in the roof? Thanks for any help anyone has.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    You could remove them, but you'd have to remove all the hardware bolted into the slots and get the trim pieces that are fitted into those slots (as the ones w/o roof racks are fitted).

If your P5 came with a roof rack, it also should have come with some plastic pieces that plug the "holes" that are left when you remove the cross bars. It's much easier to just snap these into place than remove all the hardware.
  • matqc20matqc20 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. i have searched everywhere for the speaker depths on a 99 mazda protege. The reason is that I am buying a whole new audio system for my car ( about 4000$). I am wanting to put 2 x 6,5" component speakers in the front. Now in mazda protege's the speakers are 6x8... so I am going to have to make some mdf baffles so the speakers stay in place. I wanted to know the mounting depth of the factory speakers so I can choose some good 6,5" that will actually fit in the door. Thx.
    http://www.crutchfield.com shows 2+7/16" as the largest depth speaker they say will fit the front doors in a 1999 Mazda Protege. That web site will show you many speakers that will fit your Protege.
  • matqc20matqc20 Member Posts: 2
    The speakers I am getting are 2 3/4" .... do you think they will fit? If not... well I need to make a mdf baffle anyway.. so I could make the baffle like 1/2" so the speakers wont touch the door panel and will fit. I am also putting soem deadener and some overkill to kill vibrations and distortion.. that will also take about 3/4 of an inch if not more. I think the speakers should fit
    I took a second look at Crutchfield and found that they offer two speakers with 2+5/8" depth that they say will fit 1999 Mazda Protege front doors. But that's not to say that there may actually be more depth than that available. Good luck.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • el_bagadorel_bagador Member Posts: 28
    i just bought a protoge5 ('03) with a stock stereo and 6-disc changer. i want to toss in an aftermarket unit with a digital input, so i can use my ipod effectively in the car. when i get a unit, will i also have to replace the changer? that would be annoying.

i also have another question: i tried to remove the stereo myself with the din tools, since it seemed easy and i wanted to see if i could plug in a digital line to the back of it, but the din tools didn't work. i talked to a car audio guy, who told me the clips or whatever were probably bent, which is why the din tools didn't work, and that he'd have to "get creative". i think what he really meant was "get creative with the labor costs to see what you messed up". has anyone ever encountered this issue, and is there another way to get the stereo out? ugh.
  • el_bagadorel_bagador Member Posts: 28
    ok, well i figured that out...i needed another set of din tools. so that's all set.

now another question: how do i get the silver mazda badge off the grill? i either want to replace it with a black one, or replace it with a black one.
  • pastanouspastanous Member Posts: 1
    i wonder if you can help me out. i am a novice at this, and am trying to see if i can get a digital line run from my ipod into the stereo.

i cant get the stereo out..what are the "din" tools. where can i get them? how much should they cost?

and, when i get them, will i be able to run an audio out line from my ipod somewhere into a stereo input jack?
    You can find these at any auto parts store, or even in most auto departments of discount stores, like Wal-Mart, Target etc.

Look for ones that are compatible with Ford/Mazda factory stereos.

On each side of the faceplate, there's a small plastic cover you have to pry off to expose the holes into which you stick the removal tools. Push each tool in until you feel clicks. You can then simply pull out the factory stereo, but pull it out slowly, as the cables attached to the rear don't have much extra length to them.

For use with the factory stereo, you patch into the connector for the optional CD changer or cassette player. I don't know which pins they are - hopefully someone else here can provide the pin configuration?

As for myself, I just put in an aftermarket head unit with a front AUX input jack. I connect my iPod with a stereo patch cable.

Some aftermarket head units offer an accessory that lets you control the iPod from the head unit. This accessory usually plugs into the CD changer connector on the head unit.
  • gmoneigmonei Member Posts: 7
    CAN A MAZDASPEED PROTEGE ENGINE BE PUT IN A 99 PROTEGE LX WITHOUT CHANGING THE TRANSMISSION?
  • rgoodlettrgoodlett Member Posts: 2
    Are expensive plugs and wires like NGK or other brands worth it for performance? Also, is iridium any better that platimum? Thanks
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Why not go with what is recommended by Mazda? Based on what I've read, unless you do some extreme driving or racing, upgraded plugs and wires may not be worth the extra money. Of course, the companies selling these materials may see it differently. ;)
    You might get longer life with upgraded wires, but I haven't had a problem with the regular wires. I checked them every 15k miles (when I replace my plugs), and replaced mine @ 60k miles (mine measured 3500 and 4000 ohms when I replaced them - the new ones were around 1700 - replacement is called for if they exceed 7000 ohms, I think). I put on the miles slowly, so I'm still working on the second set. :)

Anyway, avoid the multi-tip plugs (like Splitfire). They caused premature ignition and knocking in my '89 323LX. I went back the the 99 cent Champions and things went back to normal. I'd skip the other fancy types of plugs too.
  • druth14druth14 Member Posts: 2
    I just finished my 4 hour process of pulling my deck on my 03'.
    I had the same problem, I went to local shop and we tried for about 30 minutes. I had to tear my cab apart to access from the back and the left side was indeed belt. This seems to be an awfully big coincidence. That's DIRTY!!
  • druth14druth14 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where I could buy just the CD cage for my 03' Protege5?
  • dwalker33dwalker33 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody. Im new so forgive me if I am a repeater.

Im from Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada, and I own a 2001 Protege LX 2.0

Im looking to turbocharge my mazda and was wondering if anyone has done the same to there baby? Was it worth it? How much fun was it to do?

Does anyone know what kind of tolerences a stock 2.0L has when concidering turbo? Or maybe there is a place online where i could find stuff like that out?

Love the forum. TTYL
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    The easiest way to turbocharge is to buy the Mazdaspeed 3 which gets you a 264 hp car. A cheaper way would be to buy the turbo "kit" from Mazda for the Mazdaspeed Protege, that gets you a 170 hp car. The cheapest and quickest way, may be to buy a used Mazdaspeed Protege.

Alternatively, Mazda may eventually bring over one of their Mazda diesels which are reputed to have great torque.
  • gcanadagcanada Member Posts: 1
    Please send me an email with info will greatly apprieciate that.
  • downtubedowntube Member Posts: 43
    try themazdaforum.com, mazdas247.com
  • PHATBOi813PHATBOi813 Member Posts: 1
    In my experience with any japanese car you are better off running ngk spark plugs.
  • krzykj1krzykj1 Member Posts: 3
    Searching for answers- HELP PLEASE ! I have 2000 Mazda Protege ES that came standard w/ a 1.8 ltr engine. I bought this car used & love it. Problem : While changing the timing belt & parts, I have found out that the engine was changed to a 2001 2.0 ltr ES. I keep coming up with Engine Codes will not reset readings, every time I try to have an emissions inspection done. Have gone through MUCH grief with the state of NC & quite a few insp. stations. What, if anything can be done ? I'd like to keep it & drive it.
  • pfunk3pfunk3 Member Posts: 2
    dose anyone know if i can use aftermarket body kits from say like a 4 door civic and place them on my car or is it just a no go?
This discussion has been closed.