Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    New head unit? Nah. Like I said, I was just toying with the idea anyways. Now it sounds like too much trouble.

Any experience with putting new speakers into the front? I was thinking about component speakers.

I actually already replaced the rear deck speakers with a pair of 6X9 Sony 3-ways. There were some 4-ways that I actually liked better, but Best Buy had a good deal going on the Sony 3-ways.

Last week I listened to some Harmon Kardon 6.5" component speakers that sounded great ... but Best Buy wants $190 for them!
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    They are easier than the rear deck install. I have some pictures at my home page:

http://homepage.mac.com/tboggs

I just put in the Mazda Kenwood 6x8s in my P5. They are Kenwood eXcelons pre-wired for the stock wiring harnesses. List price is $150. I got mine from Mazdastuff.com for $104. The 2003 already has tweeters mounted on the window garnish plate, so I didn't consider components.

When I had my 2001 Protege ES, I put in 3-way Kenwood KFC-688Cs. They were around $79. I like the Mazda supplied 2-ways in my 2003 better.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I was reading latest Motor Trend comparo of the SRT4, SVT Focus and the Mazdaspeed Protege and noticed the dash on the Pro is the same as the P5's.

I wonder how much it'd cost to get the brackets and filler trim so a regular sized head unit would fit AND look factory. A good sounding head unit can be had from Crutchfield for $200 and, the wiring isn't difficult. Of course, if you want to retain the 6 disc in-dash changer, you're going to pay more.
    From Mazda is about $90. I'm sure someone has posted the part number before. Best place to look for one is in a junk yard on 99 or 00 models.
    Your web page is nice and clean. Good look. We've got a G4 at home, nice most of the time. I wish more of the net was Mac friendly though.

The Miata looks fantastic.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    That's the option I went for when I put in an aftermarket head unit.

Wiring wouldn't have been too bad, but I couldn't dislodge a plastic fastener holding the factory wiring to a metal brace. This severely limited how far out I could pull the wiring. Oh well, I guess I could have cut the back side of the fastener and then taped the wire harness back in place.
    So, are the front speakers in the 2001 ES 6.5" cones or 6X8?
    In the front doors of my 2001 ES and my 2003 P5.
    Thanks. .Mac makes it so easy that I really can't take much credit. I have a 600Mhz iBook at home and a G4 Dual 867 at work. I find very few sites I can't get to work, but I do have to use multiple browsers to accomplish that. I am currently re-ripping all of my tunes in AAC format to recover about 25% of my hard disk on the iBook. Once I get the Head Units replaced in my P5 and Miata, I will have no more need for CDs or cassettes. I'll just bring my iPod with me and plug it into the HU.
    Two browsers, that's my point. My work email won't work without IE and my home email doesn't work with NN.

Are you an AD?
    I use Safari when possible with Netscape as my backup. I keep IE around just in case of an emergency.

AD?? Athletic Director? Anno Domini?
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    with Outlook for Work and Outlook Express for Home.
    Started trying out Foxmail at home. Far better than Outlook Express so far.
    Art Director - adspeak for a design guy. Guess not if you don't know what I'm reffering to : )

Safari? Outlook? My wife is the Mac whiz. I know my way around a PC pretty well but the Mac throws me off a bit.
    No, I am an IT guy. UNIX System Admin.
    And gets to use one at work. I'm surrounded by a sea of Dells, but have only Macs at home. They're usually better thought-out and constructed.

I have to admit, I've really liked my iPod too, especially on the open, endless freeways. The new one looks really nice (thinner, and the front edge of the plastic face is now nicely rounded instead of sharp).

My Macs are older though: 350 iMacDVse, G3 desktop (upgraded to a 400MHz G4), 500Mhz "iceBook". I haven't seen sufficient need to upgrade to anything current (though that 12in G4 Powerbook is one nice package), so I'm hanging out until they move to the next processor.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I thought this was about Protege A&M? ;-)

Please take the computer talk to the Protege Posse discussion.

Thanks!
    I found the following in the Protege FAQ on the MazdaUSA web site:

"What is the stereo output and speaker size?
                     The stereo output is 100 watts maximum, which is 25 watts x 4 speakers. The RMS (median, or root means square) is a measurement of peaks of wattage, and it's 12 watts x4 speakers. The front speaker size is 5x7-inch, and the rear speaker size is 6x9-inch."

Not sure exactly what this means for the 6 speaker set up.
    I thought I read somewhere else that the front speakers were 6X8's.
    Essentially the same thing. I think Mazda actually uses cm to measure things like this, so they probably fall somewhere in between. Either size will fit in the opening.
    That's good to know. I've been eyeing a pair of Pioneer 6X8's for the front. They're 4-way speakers. I've seen them on Ebay for $50.
    Mine arrived Friday. When I put it in my P5 the corners in the back (butted up against the rear seats) are sort of crushed. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Seems like an odd fit.
    Sounds like a warranty issue. ;-)

FYI: I did not cut the holes for the tie downs.
    The back corners of the mat are shaped like this

>-------<

sort of, it's hard to describe. Maybe they sent me the wrong part? Would you be so kind as to post a picture of it in your P5?
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Here is mine. It fits really well. I did cut out the holes for the tie-downs.

Your message says mat. There are 2 different things. The mat, which is fabric, and the tray which is plastic.

I have the tray.

That's it, the tray. I'll have to look at mine again. Maybe I need to position it differently.

Thanks for posting a pic. I really appreciate it.
    If they're pointing forwards, they may force your tray against the seatbacks. Either flip them down, under the carpeting, or slit the tray and feed them up through their matching pockets.

BTW, nice touch the little clip under the middle of the vanity cover to hold up the spare-tire cover (in meinrad's pic).
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    :-(

Meade
    since I saw Chowchi had a rubber tray in his trunk.
    Chow, could you give us some details on your trunnk rubber mat/tray?
    I'll look up the pamphlet at home. I got it through the JC Whitney catalog. Funny thing, the largest size offered was what fit in my Pro's trunk.

The great thing about it, besides shielding the carpet, is that it has pegs onto which you can snap little caps that fit onto the bottoms of any plastic crate (so long as you drill holes into its bottom to fasten the caps). The kit came with two collapsible crates. The best part is anything put into the crates don't thrash around in the trunk. They stay nicely put in place when I whip around corners. :)

I did note that JC Whitney didn't list it anymore, so you may have to contact the mfr directly. That was a while ago (friend with an A4 wanted to get one for it), so they may have relisted it.
    The cargo tray from the 2003 should fit just fine in your 2000 model. Perhaps Malt could confirm wether it would fit, but my money is on it fitting. It is currently $47 from Mazdastuff.com.
    Click on the "Smart-Mat" link. I think the crates and feet are super. I think the L-shaped part of the smart-locks is weak (both of mine broke).

I'll have to measure the one that's in my trunk. I think it's larger than the one they recommend for the Protege (36x32in). Their part numbers actually make sense, as they're the measurement of the mat in inches (i.e., model 3632 for the Pro).

I should give them a call and see about getting replacements for the busted pieces.
    Are we now having posts arbitarily deleted with no word from anyone as to why?

Anyway, I said I wasn't planning on buying the cargo tray for my 2000's trunk because (1) the car's been 55,800 miles without one, and (2) I'll be trading it on a Jetta this weekend anyway.

Meade
    I stand corrected.

Meadeball
    I checked mine. Sedans can fit the "large" size (40x36), barely. P5s have to settle for the "mid" size (36x32) as the trunk floor is shorter...I measured my wife's P5 and apparently I didn't shut the hatch completely as she had to get out and shut it at the street corner this morning. Ooops. :)

I got free replacements for my broken items when I called them. I also ordered a couple more crates, heh.
    hope this pictures do justice...

• md_rocksmd_rocks Member Posts: 41
    Been poring through the manual, found nothing on this. I own a Kenwood KDC-MPV619 mp3-CD unit. I am planning on using it in a 2003 P5 (if only they could find the laser blue).

Now would I lose the subwoofer and/or the 6 CD changer functionality with this head unit? I am more concerned with the woofer then the changer since I just burn mp3s onto CD anyways. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I just ordered a set of front Brembo cross drilled and slotted brake rotors, EBC Greenstuff brake pads, and 4 Technafit SS brake lines. Can't wait to get everything installed. The cheap Midas pads I have now are showing their age.
    And post pics! :)
    In addition to my brake set, I just bought the Mazda MP3 springs and Tokico Blue struts to go along w/ my brakes. I CANT WAIT!!!
    Looks very cool. Please let us know how you like the handling and ride after installation.
  • avanteguyavanteguy Member Posts: 15
    Does any one of a p5 with crazy amounts of HP..i need pics of such a car
    Flyin Miata sells an excellent turbo it for the Protege 2.0: http://www.flyinmiata.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=01-7P000&- variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    The 6-disc changer is an in-dash unit, not remote mount. By the way, good luck with your search for Laser Blue. My P5 is Laser Blue and it is an awesome color!!
    Does anyone here have an aftermarket exhaust on their P5? I know there's a lot of discussion at protegeclub, but I wanted to check here first. I just installed the two-piece Injen intake a couple of weeks ago and am now looking for an exhaust.
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    I have the Racing Beat exhaust. Not too loud on the highway and a nice deep mellow sound.
    reitrof,
    Where did you purchase your RB exhaust? Also, did the RB exhaust seem to "deaden" the throttle response at all?
    ...are going in as we speak. Can't wait!!!
    WOW. The handling is awesome. Haven't really gotten a good chance to really test it. Today once again it was raining and I was driving home with traffic. But from what I have tested so far...it is great. The ride isn't actually much stiffer than before either. Everything feels tight again, like the car was nice. But with much better handling.

One down side, the car actually sits higher than before. It looks jacked up in the rear. It should settle down in about 1000 miles, so I will keep everyone updated.

Pics:
    http://www.knology.net/~negatize/images/tn_IMG_1196.jpg
    http://www.knology.net/~negatize/images/tn_IMG_1197.jpg
    http://www.knology.net/~negatize/images/tn_IMG_1198.jpg
This discussion has been closed.