Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• boogie35boogie35 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 1996 XJR and have developed a little noise in the exhaust system. Am told I need a new converter at a price of $2,200. What in God's name do they put in these things? Its the first piece out of the exhaust manifold. This is worse than owning a Beechcraft product. Is there an aftermarket product?
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    "What in God's name do they put in these things?"

Platinum. Catalytic convertors have a ceramic honeycomb structure inside them that is plated in platinum. Who's giving you the $2,200 price, a Jag supplier? Shop around at different exhaust shops, suppliers, ect, and see what kind of price you can get. It might help if you just tell 'em you need a cat for a size X exhaust pipe, and not mention it's going on a Jaguar ;-)
  • 97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    Well add me to the list of people with a vibration problem. My 97 VDP has Dunlop SP5000's on it. I bought them at JustTires and everything was fine..

Then I brought the car into Rosenthal Jaguar for a 35000 mile checkup three weeks later.. They rotated my tires and the shimmy began! It was only really noticable at first above 65. But it was so bad at 80 that it made open highway driving downright nerve rattling.

I brought the car back THREE times specifically for tire service. And because I didn't buy the tires from Jaguar, I was charged around $400 for the rebalancing service. They did a realignment as part of the process.

For the last 4 months, everything has been fine, but in the last week, a slight vibration is starting to happen again between 40 and 60MPH. I'm also due for another 5000 tire-mile rotation from JustTires. I'm cringing just thinking about what's comng. I suppose I won't notice any shimmy for a while since its due to start snowing here soon. I doubt I'll be hitting "highway speeds" for a while.

But to echo other posts - Rosenthal Jaguar service sucks. They took over 4 months to replace the seat potentiometers in the drivers seat under warranty. They had to order parts twice and both times, I had to verify the parts had come in - they never called me. The first time, they found that they had received a defective part AFTER they had my car for 2 days. Then they had a 4-week lead-time. And both times they had my car, I had to call them only to find out my car was done and ready - nobody ever called me to tell me it was done.

Now that I work in Gaithersburg, maybe I'll check out Manhattan Jaguar in Rockville.

I don't think my next car will be a Jag either. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Lexus or BMW SUV.
  • fharrisfharris Member Posts: 2
    97VDPguy and other DC Jag owners - Rosenthal and Manhattan are not your only options. I take my 95 XJ6 to an excellent mechanic - Master Auto Service on Randolph Road in Rockville (about 6 blocks from Manhattan). The owner is a former Manhattan mechanic who opened his own shop many years ago specializing in Jags. He's great, plus reasonably priced, and you can get appointments reasonably quickly. When there, the job gets done fast. Highly recommended. Try them.
  • farnsworthyfarnsworthy Member Posts: 4
    to lindsay8: I rekeyed my XJ-S V12 after the keys were burgled from my house for a mere $1500. the big problem is that the locksets are apparently designed to be removed WITH THE KEY, and without it have to be destructively removed. The newer jags may be better but I wouldn't count on Britsh engineering helping you out here.
    Thanks, James. I'm due for a 45,000 mile service and some "winterization". I'll try that place out since it's close to where I now work. Also, Shehzad has previously recommended Euro Motorcars on SpringHill Road in McLean as another good alternative to Rosenthal. I would have tried there, but I don't work in that area anymore. I think I can get a free shuttle from the Rockville Metro to work. That will help should I need to leave my car for the day.
    Cheers!
  • iameliotiameliot Member Posts: 14
    What are you guys using instead of Hyde food. I have had my 98 vdp for a few months and I have to say one thing I love about the car is it has a great scent of leather. Seems remarkable given the age of the car. Is this from the conditioner or just the natural smell of fine leather? I would love to find a product that really brings out that scent.
    The other day while driving on the highway, my automatic transmission failure warning light came on after driving about 10 miles. It stayed on for the remainder of my 90 mile trip. I didn't notice any difference in the way the car handled. After having Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws, I started the car to drive home several hours later and the light was not on anymore.

Does anyone know under what conditions the light will come on? I've got an appointment to go get my computer code read, but that's not till the end of next week.
    I use the stuff that Jaguar sells. I bought both their leather cleaner and leather conditioner. Seems to work fine. I put the conditioner on about every six months.
    Smells like clean leather to me! My '97 VDP is immaculate inside!

I had the car detailed once too. I'm not sure what they used, but I assume it was "the good stuff"...
  • iameliotiameliot Member Posts: 14
    thanks....I should have clarified. The conditioner they used for many years, Hyde Food leather conditioner, was pulled off the market some months ago. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing perhaps mad cow related issues since the product uses oil from animal skin hides. What did the dealer (Rosenthal?)get for detailing? I guess I should call and ask what they are using now if not Hyde.
    Yes, the Hyde Food has been off the market for some time. The stuff I bought goes by the name Hide Care. It's a paste. If I remember correctly, it was around $15 from the Jaguar parts dept.

I had my car detailed by Mobile Auto Detailing (http://www.waxmycar.com). They service the Northern Virginia area. You can bring your car to their shop, or they will send a mobile van to your work or home. Their prices were around $190 for the whole car (inside and out) with either going for around $95 ala carte. If at all possible, have Billy do the work. He's very thorough. He drove to my work and spent about 4 hours working on my car. I would highly recommend them - especially once the spring thaw gets here!
  • rforerfore Member Posts: 17
    Tranny warning light came on for me also. No noticeable shifting problem, it just came on intermittently. 97 xj6l. Still under select edition warranty so I took it to the dealer. Their conclusion was a faulty sensor though the fault code showed torque converter failure. The tranny "thunks" when coming to stops, so I thought this might have triggered the warning light, but dealer said no. After they replaced the sensor, it came back on 4-5 times within a week, but that was almost a month ago and it has not come back on since then, so maybe the dealer was correct. I haven't taken it back in. No shifting problems before or after they replaced the sensor, just the "thunking". Sounds as though your situation is similar minus the "thunking". Oh, this occurred at about 63k miles after the tranny fluid was changed with the 60k scheduled service, so this was not fluid-related.
    Thanks, Ron for the info.

How did you manage to get a '97 with a Select Edition? You were lucky. My VDP was originally purchased in 10/96, so when I bought it used in March 2001, it was just passed the cutoff and I had to shell out around $2800 for the Warrantech coverage!

Hopefully, my problem will just be the sensor too! If not, I hope all that other stuff is covered by Warrantech!!

I wondered about the fluid levels. I'm due for another interval service soon. I've got 46K miles on it. I'll check my Tranny fluid level tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Ron
    Good luck, Ron. For what you paid for your extended warranty, if there are real tranny problems and not just the sensor, you should be in good shape. I don't know how the sel ed works. I bought the car this past March.It was under sel ed at that time. It was put in service on 1-30-97 so I am under warranty for almost another 2 months. After that, I am going without any warranty. There is a great Jag mechanic here in Orlando, so I'll take it to him as needed instead of the dealer. BTW, has anyone experienced the undertray coming off easily? Mine just came loose and I lost it on the expressway. Dealer said it is not a warranty-covered item. Is it absolutely essential that it needs to be replaced? Thanks in advance.
  • boogie35boogie35 Member Posts: 2
    See my message 1552. Much to my delight I discovered that emission control devices have an 80,000 mile or eight year warranty. My car has 60,000 miles.

Bill
  • 98caxj98caxj Member Posts: 1
    have a 98 xj8 that is currently at the dealership having the speed sensor replaced. Warning light came on and the car went into "limp" mode. When hooked up the only code that came back was for the speed sensor.

the service technician when opening the transmission to replace speed sensor found metal particles and the trans fluid was quote burned. well the car has 69,000 miles. His conclusion put in a new transmission for 6,000.00. This with no road test after putting in the speed sensor.

with no prior problems, slippage for example, or fault codes, my decision is to replace the speed sensor, put in new transmission fluid and go.

Cost 800.00

Never ignore the warning lights, but look beyond the obvious-the harness or cables could be grounding out if not properly installed, light goes on but no problem exists.

Hope my experience helps
  • $800 for a new speed sensor and fluid change? Yeeouch.
  • ltphsltphs Member Posts: 1
    I'm shopping for an XJ8. I have some in my sights but am hoping that I have more bargaining power in a "soft market and it being end of the year. What would be a "reasonable" price to pay? It has a warranty and very clean. Carfax checks out.

LT
    My undertray tore on a metal spike protruding through one of those parking lot "tombstones" once. I had it replaced by the dealer. Cost me $250. Not covered by warranty.

Shortly thereafter, I parked in the same spot again and pulled a little too far forward...rrrrrrippp! Doh!

A little duct tape over the tear holds the two pieces together just fine. I never parked in that spot again!

If you drive without one, you'll be kicking road dirt up into the engine compartment.
    Yeah, I thought there was probably a very good reason Jag put the undertray on in the first place. My local mechanic will replace it for about $175, so I gotta bite the bullet on it. I like the duct tape approach. Wish I still had mine, I would do the same thing, but it's gone. BTW, the tranny warning light came back on this am, so back to the dealer. If the fault code shows torque converter again, I am going to ask them to fix the tranny-I think this "thunking" is tranny fault related. Will keep you posted.
  • june12june12 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience with repeat failure of electronic door locks? My 1990 Soverign has already had the door locks changed in the past. The rear lock on driver's side sporadically sticks (won't release with remote) -- mostly in cold weather. Now the rear right side lock is stuck in the locked position. It's a mystery to the dealer's mechanics -- various trips to them about this only result in a temporary fix, no definitive answers. Problem began about 5 or 6 years ago. Thanks for replying.
  • Try the XJ40 forum on Jag-Lovers.com. You're bound to find others who've dealt with the problem.
  • askapaskap Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any experience regarding the Airbag Warning Light?

Mine has started to come on intermitantly about 2 days ago. Sometime its on right away. Other times its on after operating for a few miles, other times not at all.

What is the best way to troubleshoot this, and is there an easy solution?

Aaron
  • willngaylewillngayle Member Posts: 19
    I recently went to my Jag dealer for a knock in the engine. My car is an XJ8L with 41k miles. By mid-day he called and said he was ordering a new engine. He said there was something wrong in the lower end and it would take more time to tear the engine apart so he was ordering a new one. While I am glad to be getting a new engine, I don't have any idea what the problem could be. The dealer was somewhat elusive but I didn't want to "bust then off" since he said I'd have a new engine in about 3 weeks. Does anyone have any idea what could have been wrong in the lower part of the engine to cause the dealer to order a new one. I really love that Jag warranty. Any thoughts. Bill
    I have heard of problems with '99 & earlier AJV8 engines using something called Nickasil to line the aluminum cylinder bores. This newfangled lining isn't as good as cast iron, and soon starts wearing away. Replacing the engine is the only cos-effective way to fix this. I've been told newer engines have the cast iron liners, and should be fine. Whether or not this is the problem with your engine is purely speculation. There could be a squillion things that requires an engine to be replaced.

Now, DO NOT LET THE DEALER BE "somewhat elusive." Find out what the heck is wrong with your car. Remember, this is YOUR CAR, and you have the rights here. The dealer can't even do so much as an oil change, much less an engine swap without your permission, and if it were my car, I'd have a very detailed technical explanation of why my engine is bad before they replaced it.
  • willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    A "problem with the lower end" would normally refer to an issue with the crankcase bearings (or a bent crankcase shaft, but that's certainly not likely). If proper lubrication was consistently applied, there would be no normal reason for the crankcase bearings to fail at 41k miles, their failure would infer a manufacturing defect and thus Jaguar's willingness to replace the engine.

It is not likely an issue with the cylinder liners as this would not be "lower end". The only way to know for sure is to tear the engine down and do a close inspection. Since this is never cost effective to do (unless you're talking about a top circuit racing engine), you will likely never know exactly what the problem is and will have to rely on your Jaguar mechanics ear that the noise coming from that area of your engine is not normal and indicates imminent doom.

My greater concern would be having a catastrophic failure prior to the new engine coming in. I'd ask the dealer for a loner if I were you.
  • lexrexlexrex Member Posts: 1
    Considering purchasing a X300 XJ6/12 & have a few questions...

1) How much should I pay for one of these? I'm seeing the same model anywhere from $9k on eBay all the way up to $18k in dealer newspaper ads. (I know what the book value is, but I also know from past experience that book value doesn't necessarily reflect market prices of the more exotic cars.)

2) Should I stay away from the v12? Besides paying twice as much for a tune-up and getting worse gas mileage, is the 12 that much more troublesome/expensive to run? I know the AJ16 is a great engine, but know little about the v12 other than the problems with the Marelli ignition on earlier models & the XJS. If I find a deal on an XJ12, should I be afraid of buying it?

3) What's a ballpark figure for annual maintenance and repairs? $1k? $2k?

Thanks,
    Blake
    Don't forget to tell your dealer to "save your old parts" for you...

:-)
    Ron,
    The dealer again checked out the tranny warning light. This time no fault code was stored, so they topped up the fluid level and bid me "Good Day". The thunking really doesn't affect the car's performance but it is annoying. How did you make out with your problem?
    If I understand engine terminology correctly, the "Lower end" would be the block, crank, pistons & rods, and all the associated bearings & whatnots. Cylinder bore problems would be on the bottom end. "Top end" refers to the cylinder heads, cams (On OHC engines), valves, springs lifters ect, intake manifold, fuel injection system, and other stuff attached to the heads and not the block.
    It snowed on the day I had an appointment with my dealer, so I didn't keep my appt. The service dept is backlogged, so I just decided to take my chances. Maybe after the holidays I'll try to bring it by again.

The light hasn't come back on since Thanksgiving. I figured I would make sure all my fluids are topped off and see if it lasts a while. I just turned over 47,000 miles. I think I'll either take it to one of the mechanics that's been recommended here or to the Jag dealer in Maryland. The service and quality at Rosenthal in McLean is starting to fall off.

Best of luck with your car. I hope your light stays off too!
    -Ron
  • rogerb7rogerb7 Member Posts: 13
    Is there any reason to buy a 99 model instead of 98? It seems as if the major improvements were done to the 98.

Assuming everything else is equal, except of course selling price, wouldn't a 98 represent a better buy?
  • rogerb7rogerb7 Member Posts: 13
    What is your opinion of Rosenthal as a place to buy a used Jag? I share your opinions about this dealership, and am thinking of going over to Manhattan in Md. Or is your concern mainly re service?

Also do you know if it's possible to get an extended warranty if you buy the car from a private individual?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out Edmunds preview of the 2004 XJ -- the Helpful Links box on the left side of this page will get you there.
    As a place to BUY a used Jag, Rosenthal is pretty good. They usually have a large selection to choose from. My sales guy isn't there anymore, but Andy Mosh is top notch. When I bought mine, they let me come back and take one out for 2 hours to drive it anywhere I wanted. I almost bought an XJ6-L, then I saw the VDP sitting there.

You can't get the Select Edition warranty on a private sale vehicle, but the Warrantech warranty is available to anyone. It costs around $2800 and it covers the car for 5 years from the date of purchase (of the warranty) or up to 100,000 total miles.

After having the car for almost 2 years, I can say that the warranty hasn't saved me much. The one item that was covered (driver seat potentiometer motors) would have cost me around $1200 to have replaced by the dealer (parts & labor). They did it for free. Everything else has been very minor or was a mileage interval service, which the warranty doesn't cover anyway. So at this point, the policy has still cost me more than I would have spent if I hadn't bought it.

One thing to consider about buying a used vehicle from a dealer.. if you bring it in for service, you get a free rental/loaner car ONLY if you bring it back to the same dealer you bought it from. So, if you're considering Manhattan for your service, you might want to consider them for sales too.
    Does anyone know where I can get TSB info (for free) rather than having to pay for each report as some sites require. I am looking for TSB info on 1999 XJ8 sedans. Thanks, Bill
    Hey VDPGUY,
    I have had the opportunity to visit two different Jag dlrs in Connecticut and both provide free loaners without having to ask for one. One dealer, Crest Jaguar of Woodbridge, Ct, the dlr I bought my 99 XJ8L from, provides a Merc. Sable because they are also a Lincoln/Merc dlr. The other dlr is Thomas Jag of Hartford and they provide an Enterprise vehicle since they have an Enterprise franchise on prem. This dlr is a Jag & Cadillac dlr and I am sure they can't afford to provide "free" Jags or Caddys. However, my friend who has a Lexus LS400, gets a free ES300 when he goes in for svc at his Lexus dlr. Well, who cares, I still get a free vehicle when I go in for svc. And I get it from either Jag dlr. Bill
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out with Manhattan Jaguar of Rockville, MD. Rosenthal will give loaner cars to anyone whose car is in for service, but they only provide free loaner vehicles to people who bought their cars there. The other people have to pay the rental car bill. They use Enterprise too. There are about 4 Jag X-types in the fleet along with a bunch of other cars as well.

Cheers
    Ron
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• derel2derel2 Member Posts: 49
    I have a new job in Chester County, Pennsylvania and will be relocating there later this year. Can anyone recommend a good Jag dealer (for service)and/or and independent Jag mechanic in the area.

Mike
  • sajdsajd Member Posts: 3
    Would like to get advice on the following Jag.

I'm looking at a 1999 VDP, 57,000 miles, Emerald Green with Cashmere interior, CD changer, traction control, heated seats, no service records. 30 day limited warranty, $31K. It appears to be very clean and seems to runs well. For sale at a non-Jaguar dealer.

The Carfax report shows this car spent its life in Utah as a lease vehicle and sold as a lease return to the current dealer.

I do not own a Jaguar yet and would like to know if this one is worth considering? Is the color combination OK? Should I be concerned with the mileage? What should I realistically have to pay for this car? Anything I should look for in particular? Heard bad things about engine problems. Should I look for a 2000 model to avoid this issue? Any other tips would be appreciated

SAJD
  • shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    DON'T buy it. 57,000 miles is too much to go without service records. And $31,000 dollars? What planet is the seller from? That price is inane. you can get a Select edition with less miles and NEWER for that kind of money. These cars, in my experience, need to be maintained properly, and have enough problems when they are maintained---I'd hate to drive one when you don't know how well it's taken care of, so the fact that it has no records is a major RED FLAG NOT TO BUY IT. Trust me, the car is seductive--you sit in it, smell the leather, and touch the wood and just think you're going to be loving life on the highway---but it doesn't handle all that well(compared to bmw's, mercedes, lexus's), it's got niggling little problems with it (windows won't go down, trunk latch will only open with the key fob, this is where the warrranty is VERY helpful), and isn't exactly designed with an immense amount of space inside. I have two of them, bought in a 1 year time span b/c at the time, I thought they were the nicest cars around. Now, nobody in the family wants to drive either one of them---hell, my daughter was home over winter break and she drove a camry we have instead of either of the jags just b/c she finds driving them kind of cumbersome. They look good as ornaments parked in the driveway though . . . Anyhow, to get back to the point. The example you're looking at doesn't seem quite kosher. It's a buyers market for these things---I listed one of mine in our local paper (the Washington post) for a WEEK last summer and got a grand total of . . .zero calls on it, and mine was a '99 XJ8 with 39,000 miles on it, and, if I recall correctly, I put it in the paper for $25,000------this is last JUNE, about 8 months ago. If you really have to find one, look around, make sure it's got records, and preferably, a warranty. Good luck
    Thanks for your input Shehzad. This car has been setting on the lot for almost two months now. I could probably about name my price (within reason). It sounds like even at a great price you would not touch it. Was your car a VDP? A VDP adds a few $K to the price.

Any comments on the color I should be looking at? I really like the Spindrift White and the Emerald Green. Are these OK. I'm concerned about how well the green will hold up in the hot Arizona sun. What color is better to hold the value of the car?

I called the local Jaguar dealer to ask about service records on this car and was told that they do not have access to records on any car that was not service at the dealer. I thought I read on some post that the dealers service records were networked throughout the country. Can anyone comment on this?

SAJD
  • roycecoleroycecole Member Posts: 9
    well I did it!
    I have a 2001 VDP I bought it at Galpin Jaguar
    in CALI. for $42,900 w/20,000 mile and it is a Star Marked. I like it the more I drive it. Its like a small RR but you do not see me comming from miles away. Any other owners have advice for me
    DAVID B.
  • roycecoleroycecole Member Posts: 9
    someone call Jag ==do not make the XJ's loook like the X's...
    MZ did that and now if you see a E class and a S class they look the same DUM
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    X and XJ don't look the same, nor do S and XK look like them or each other. Every Jaguar is distinctly different but at the same time uniquely Jaguar.

I have a question, our VDP has a coolant leak - not so much a leak, really, but more of like a pin prick somewhere along its coolant tubes. We cannot localize it, but we know it's there because of the orange puddle we're getting. Do any of you know of common places for this to occur? I suspect it's around where the hose attaches to something, perhaps as if the clamp has come loose or something. Thanks for any advice. Getting car to dealer as soon as possible, but don't want to loose too much coolant before then.
  • inneedofhelpinneedofhelp Member Posts: 29
    Sajd you can call Jaguar customer service with the Vin number of the car you're interested in to find out the name of the Dealership where it was service. $31,000 kind of high for a car with that kind of mileage.I have an 99 XJ8 with trac, heated
    seats, roof and sounds that I purchase a year ago with 34,000 miles for $26,000. Winter is a good time to go shopping for a Jaguar.
    I looked at a 1994 XJ6 for sale here locally, >70,000 miles, British Racing Green with tan interior, excellent condition. The guy was asking $10,500 for the car. This seems a bit on the high side for an XJ40 to me, even one in good shape. Am I just a victim of wishful thinking as far as pricing goes, or would a lower price be more reasonable for that car?
    My last post I asked for advice about about a 99 VDP I was considering buying. Emerald Green, 57K miles, no warranty, no service records,asking $31k. Thanks to those who replied.

I have since acquired the service records on this car and was a little surprised at the number of repairs this car received in a 30 month period. I'm not sure what to think of it since I have no experience with Jaguars yet. The repairs are listed below in chronological order:

* 13K miles
    Front tires
    * 19K miles
    Front brake pads
    * 20K miles
    Antenna Mast
    * 27K miles
    New Battery
    * 34K miles
    New water pump,
    New Front tires (seconds set)
    * 41K miles
    Rear tires
    * 42K miles
    Replace steering wheel cassette reel
    * 45K miles
    Replace cam cover gasket
    * 46K miles
    New Battery (2nd time),
    Replace front brake pads (2nd time)
    New water Pump (2nd time),
    New thermostat,
    New engine set,
    New timing chain tensioners left & right
    * 48K miles
    Replace starter motor,
    Replace battery (3rd time)
    * 49K miles
    Replace engine assy ancillary equip,
    Replace all three O2 sensors,
    Replace ABS control module,
    Replace throttle assy,
    Replace mass airflow sensor,
    Replace cam cover,
    Replace Engine assy and ancillary equip.

I can read this as; 1) the car has had too much work on it and is not reliable. OR 2) the car was abused by the previous driver and will be trouble. OR 3) The car has had most of the major repair already completed a therefore is now more reliable and a better value. OR 4) All the above.

Only two oil changes show on my service history. The service manager at the dealer said the drive utilized a different shop for oil changes so I don't know how often it was changed or what kind of oil was used.

How would you experience Jaguar people read this history?

It looks like the engine was replaced in April 2002 at about 49K miles. Records show the engine had excessive back pressure. The car now has 57K miles (only 8K miles on the new engine!) What are the chances the new engine does not have Nikasil lining?

What would be a good price to pay for this car?

I would really appreciate any help in evaluating this information. HELP!

SAJD